» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Nancy Grace defends questioning

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/16/06 at 1:04 am

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=nation_world&id=4565841

I don't know if any of you have heard this story yet, but apparently Nancy Grace was interviewing this woman about her missing son and her line of questioning was really out there....that's the best I can describe it, and hours after the show aired, the woman committed suicide.  Nancy was thisclose to asking her if she's the one responsible for her son's disappearance and IMO, it was out of line. 

What are your feelings on this?  Some people are relating this to that episode of Jenny Jones where the one man revealed a crush he had on this male friend of his and the guy got so enraged, he killed him.  I remember footage of Jones testifying at the guy's trial. 

Subject: Re: Nancy Grace defends questioning

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/16/06 at 1:19 am

I definitely think she was out of line. Nancy Grace is a former prosecutor, and she should know in a case like this the mother is vital- whether as a source of information if shes not a suspect, or as the suspect(if the police feel theres cause for suspicion). Since this woman was a guest on her show and Nancy decided she knew enough to grill her about, she SHOULD of been aware of the woman's history and had the common sense to realise shes not in a good mental state. Its irresponsible to take that kind of line of questioning with such a fragile witness/potential suspect, she should know someone like that is to be handled with kid gloves.

And I'm sure she does, and thats why its just outrageous she acted the way she did. To me its pretty obvious she was after one thing- ratings. It was done to prop up her schtict of being the "tough prosecutor".

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/16/06 at 2:21 am

she pushed too hard, however.... when asked where she was the day of the reported kidnapping. the mom would not give an answer, when asked why she wouldn't say where she was, she said she refused to answer on the advice of her divorce lawyer

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/16/06 at 2:23 am

she pushed too hard, however.... when asked where she was the day of the reported kidnapping. the mom would not give an answer, when asked why she wouldn't say where she was, she said she refused to answer on the advice of her divorce lawyer

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/16/06 at 2:25 am

Prosecutors Gone Wild

Starring Nancy Grace and Wendy Murphy

Grace, Murphy, Walsh, Klaas, all these characters go TV to gin up in the general public a great hysteria about crime and crime victims.  It all feeds into the national temper of outrage, fear, blame, vengeance,and hate.  It's all bogeymen and damsels-in-distress.  We need Wyatt Earp, Bill O'Reilly, Jesus, Superman, and our Daddy to  protect us, to shelter us from the scary world of terrorists, cild molestors, and liberal defeatocrats.  TV prosecutor-pundits are good guys.  ACLU defense attorneys are bad guys.  Got it?

It's all part of the same rancid ball o' wax.  These CourtTV cases are total crap.  They have no bearing on real current events.  It's a lot of emotional manipulation.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/16/06 at 2:39 am

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/16/06 at 2:56 am

Prosecutors Gone Wild

Starring Nancy Grace and Wendy Murphy

Grace, Murphy, Walsh, Klaas, all these characters go TV to gin up in the general public a great hysteria about crime and crime victims.  It all feeds into the national temper of outrage, fear, blame, vengeance,and hate.  It's all bogeymen and damsels-in-distress.  We need Wyatt Earp, Bill O'Reilly, Jesus, Superman, and our Daddy to  protect us, to shelter us from the scary world of terrorists, cild molestors, and liberal defeatocrats.  TV prosecutor-pundits are good guys.  ACLU defense attorneys are bad guys.  Got it?

It's all part of the same rancid ball o' wax.  These CourtTV cases are total crap.  They have no bearing on real current events.  It's a lot of emotional manipulation.

Agreed. The national media outlets sell fear more than anything because fear makes you watch their program- its just more riveting television than, I dunno, just stating the facts. Also fear is a good motivator to get people to consume.

Written By: Davester on 09/16/06 at 3:17 am

I find Nancy Grace odious, but I'm not sure that she was in the wrong in this case.  Melinda Duckett volunteered to go on Nancy Grace's show, and it's no secret what to expect.  It's different from ambush journalism.  Unless Ms. Grace's producers mislead the woman on what to expect during the interview...

Also, according to the link above, she's attempted suicide in the past.  Maybe she already had psychological problems, and if Grace hadn't pushed her to suicide, perhaps something else would have...

Anyway, what else does anyone expect from TV..? groove ;) on...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/16/06 at 12:41 pm

I can't stand Nancy Grace and this only adds to my dislike of her. This woman was NOT on trial-she was in an interview. I really hope that Nancy has trouble sleeping at night.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/16/06 at 1:22 pm

I find Nancy Grace odious, but I'm not sure that she was in the wrong in this case.  Melinda Duckett volunteered to go on Nancy Grace's show, and it's no secret what to expect.  It's different from ambush journalism.  Unless Ms. Grace's producers mislead the woman on what to expect during the interview...

Also, according to the link above, she's attempted suicide in the past.  Maybe she already had psychological problems, and if Grace hadn't pushed her to suicide, perhaps something else would have...

Anyway, what else does anyone expect from TV..? groove ;) on...

Psychological problems?  I don't know anybody who hasn't got a few.  Nancy (dis)Grace, on the other hand, is a total crackpot!

Richard Allen Davis flipping off the camera. Sure. What sort of behavior did you expect from a piece of garbage like that? Child-murdering scumbags have always been in our midst, the difference now is we get to see 'em on the TV.  Would it be any consolation if Davis had said, "I see now what I did was wrong, and I'm sorry"?  Oh, now I like Richard Allen David, he's an OK guy after all!
I don't advocate censoring this stuff, I just don't pretend it's a social good.  It would be cool with me if the public was tuning in for cheap thrills, like with horror comix and gore sites.  My problem with it is the way the pundits co-opt crime into their right-wing social agenda of fear and authoritarianism. 
"Look at this Richard Allen Davis!  There's probably one in your own neighborhood stalking your teenage daughter!  We'll protect you.  We'll get tough on crime!  More laws, more cops, more laws, more cops, more laws, more cops, mandatory death penalty, no appeals!
(pssst...the rabble doesn't know when we get our guys into office, we're actually gonna cut the law enforcement budget to give more tax cuts to the wealthy.  Arf arf arf! What morons!)"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/iamwithstupid.gif

See, it's all about fear and daddy.  It has nothing to do with actually making society a safer, healthier place.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/16/06 at 2:15 pm

Psychological problems?  I don't know anybody who hasn't got a few.  Nancy (dis)Grace, on the other hand, is a total crackpot!

Richard Allen Davis flipping off the camera. Sure. What sort of behavior did you expect from a piece of garbage like that? Child-murdering scumbags have always been in our midst, the difference now is we get to see 'em on the TV.  Would it be any consolation if Davis had said, "I see now what I did was wrong, and I'm sorry"?  Oh, now I like Richard Allen David, he's an OK guy after all!
I don't advocate censoring this stuff, I just don't pretend it's a social good.  It would be cool with me if the public was tuning in for cheap thrills, like with horror comix and gore sites.  My problem with it is the way the pundits co-opt crime into their right-wing social agenda of fear and authoritarianism. 
"Look at this Richard Allen Davis!  There's probably one in your own neighborhood stalking your teenage daughter!  We'll protect you.  We'll get tough on crime!  More laws, more cops, more laws, more cops, more laws, more cops, mandatory death penalty, no appeals!
(pssst...the rabble doesn't know when we get our guys into office, we're actually gonna cut the law enforcement budget to give more tax cuts to the wealthy.  Arf arf arf! What morons!)"

See, it's all about fear and daddy.  It has nothing to do with actually making society a safer, healthier place.
I wouldn't call it censorship, but i don't think there's a need to show these courtroom dramas, but whatever gets the public tuning in is all that matters to the broadcasters, just like they always show the high speed pursuit/car chases in L.A.  richard davis could apologize and perhaps be sincere, however he is not relieved of the consequences he must face for his actions. The death penalty, & I think the gulliotine would be adequate. show that on tv

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/16/06 at 11:38 pm

I wouldn't call it censorship, but i don't think there's a need to show these courtroom dramas, but whatever gets the public tuning in is all that matters to the broadcasters, just like they always show the high speed pursuit/car chases in L.A.   richard davis could apologize and perhaps be sincere, however he is not relieved of the consequences he must face for his actions. The death penalty, & I think the gulliotine would be adequate. show that on tv

I always hope we've evolved beyond the lynching and the public execution mentality, but we haven't.  If we started televised guillotining ratings would go sky-high.  Who would complain, except some whiny soft-on-crime liberals?

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/behead.gif

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/16/06 at 11:45 pm

I always hope we've evolved beyond the lynching and the public execution mentality, but we haven't.  If we started televised guillotining ratings would go sky-high.  Who would complain, except some whiny soft-on-crime liberals?

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/behead.gif

I'm telling you, for a developed country, and the wealthiest in the world, America can sure be bass ackwards! :D

Freaking MEXICO doesn't have the death penalty. I think COLOMBIA outlawed it in 1906 or something. 

Attitudes are disturbingly draconian in this country. Especially if you live in a state like Texas. I swear to god, half the population here would go for chopping off hands for stealing!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/16/06 at 11:47 pm

I can't stand Nancy Grace and this only adds to my dislike of her. This woman was NOT on trial-she was in an interview. I really hope that Nancy has trouble sleeping at night.

Cat

I agree 100%. I really can't stand her.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/17/06 at 12:12 am

I'm telling you, for a developed country, and the wealthiest in the world, America can sure be bass ackwards! :D

Freaking MEXICO doesn't have the death penalty. I think COLOMBIA outlawed it in 1906 or something. 

Attitudes are disturbingly draconian in this country. Especially if you live in a state like Texas. I swear to god, half the population here would go for chopping off hands for stealing!

I think Texas accounts for three-quarters of the executions in the country, BUT Harris County (Houston area) accounts for three-quarters of the executions in Texas!  Remember, Houston is Bush Central!

Among the first countries in the world to abolish the death penalty were the Scandinavian countries and the Latin American countries.  This was the first wave anti-capital punishment statutes between about 1890 and 1930.  The second wave was between about 1960 and 1980.  The U.S. had a couple of enlightened years free of the death penalty, and then went back to barbarism.  The nasty old Brits finally called a moratorium on capital punishment in 1965, and decided to make it permanent in 1969.  Damn shame that was!  Nobody could string 'em up like the British.  They'd perfected hanging.  It was a science to them! 

The year was 1995 when South Africa---even South Africa--abolished capital punishment.  They might bring it back if they get desperate.  Until then, the U.S. is in great company with the likes of China, Iran, Turkey, and North Korea.  As a matter of fact, there are over a hundred nations that still impose the DP.  However, the U.S. and Iran are in a very special category of our own:  we both say juveniles qualify!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/laughing4.gif

The early abolitions of the death penalty had something to do with the government nodding to a religious code condemning it.  The U.S. now nods to a religious code it claims sanctions it.  Bushies would like to meet us abolitionists half way.  Just give them permission to cut off fingers and ears!
  :o

Written By: Davester on 09/17/06 at 1:29 am

I don't see the Richard Allen Davis connection, but it's late, I'm tired and I've had too much to drink... :P

What I'm saying is that we will never know why Melinda Duckett killed herself.  If the child is alive, why would the mother kill herself when the child may be returned..?  Yeah, I know - beside the point...

The mother was mentally unstable, may or may not have had something to do with her own sons disappearance, and killed herself. Blaming a TV personality is pure horsepucky groove ;) on.. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/17/06 at 2:20 am

I don't see the Richard Allen Davis connection, but it's late, I'm tired and I've had too much to drink... :P

What I'm saying is that we will never know why Melinda Duckett killed herself.  If the child is alive, why would the mother kill herself when the child may be returned..?  Yeah, I know - beside the point...

The mother was mentally unstable, may or may not have had something to do with her own sons disappearance, and killed herself. Blaming a TV personality is pure horsepucky groove ;) on.. 

Of course it's horsepucky.  I'd wager Duckett killed the kid and her conscience was eating her alive, plus she was terrified of the consequences, so she done herself in.  So wot?  Nancy Grace is still a nasy old c*nt, and I ain't I glad I don't have to talk to her!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/stpaddy.gif

Written By: Wiffle on 09/21/06 at 11:59 am

We were better off before TV was 400 channels and on 24/7. There's too much space to fill now, and all there is to fill it with is fluff and garbage.

So now we have a nation full of at-home crime experts thanks to COPS, Forensic Files, etc. At-home law experts thanks to Nancy Grace and the all-day court prattle on CourtTV. Remember after 9/11 we all got a good in-depth education on what burning jet fuel does to a building structure, the way a plane crumples as it hits a building, and were shown the same horrid footage over and over and over... all not for our good but for the mighty buck.

Anyway, on one hand, people should know what they are getting themselves into before they agree to do whatever. Would you go on an interview show without doing some homework on who you were going to be up against? It wouldn't take much to learn that Nancy Grace comes off like a dog pretending to be rabid. It's all about the show for her. On the other hand we should stop publicizing persons of interest in crimes anyway. Showing these interviews does nothing for our justice system other than pollute the jury pool.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/21/06 at 1:35 pm

We were better off before TV was 400 channels and on 24/7. There's too much space to fill now, and all there is to fill it with is fluff and garbage.

So now we have a nation full of at-home crime experts thanks to COPS, Forensic Files, etc. At-home law experts thanks to Nancy Grace and the all-day court prattle on CourtTV. Remember after 9/11 we all got a good in-depth education on what burning jet fuel does to a building structure, the way a plane crumples as it hits a building, and were shown the same horrid footage over and over and over... all not for our good but for the mighty buck.

Anyway, on one hand, people should know what they are getting themselves into before they agree to do whatever. Would you go on an interview show without doing some homework on who you were going to be up against? It wouldn't take much to learn that Nancy Grace comes off like a dog pretending to be rabid. It's all about the show for her. On the other hand we should stop publicizing persons of interest in crimes anyway. Showing these interviews does nothing for our justice system other than pollute the jury pool.

You could fill 400 channels 24/7 with educational programming, fine arts, and in-depth current events coverage.  There's no shortage of content and manpower.  The trouble is, it wouldn't sell. We love scandal, sex, violence, action, and sports.  Noam Chomsky and others call it "manufactured consent," which I think is partially correct.  I also think we are naturally inclined to the sordid and sensational.  Public executions did not end for lack of public attendance!
Personally, I like both.  I enjoy cerebral chit-chat on C-SPAN as much as the shout shows on FOX.  I'd like to say I would never attend a public hanging, but since I voluntarily watch Sean Hannity, I'm not so sure!  (Sean Hannity?  Here, hang me first!)
:-\\

If Nancy Grace hates criminals so much, let her go out and catch them herself, like Jodi Foster in "Silence of the Lambs."  I'd Like to see the "Nancy Grace and Dog Show"
;D

Written By: Wiffle on 09/21/06 at 2:13 pm

You could fill 400 channels 24/7 with educational programming, fine arts, and in-depth current events coverage.  There's no shortage of content and manpower.  The trouble is, it wouldn't sell. We love scandal, sex, violence, action, and sports.  Noam Chomsky and others call it "manufactured consent," which I think is partially correct.  I also think we are naturally inclined to the sordid and sensational.  Public executions did not end for lack of public attendance!
Personally, I like both.  I enjoy cerebral chit-chat on C-SPAN as much as the shout shows on FOX.  I'd like to say I would never attend a public hanging, but since I voluntarily watch Sean Hannity, I'm not so sure!  (Sean Hannity?  Here, hang me first!)
:-\\

If Nancy Grace hates criminals so much, let her go out and catch them herself, like Jodi Foster in "Silence of the Lambs."  I'd Like to see the "Nancy Grace and Dog Show"
;D

Damn straight. And you would think they would add variety but instead we get the same crap, just the more extreme version. Everything has to be extreme. If you've ever been in a court setting in real life, you know that it can be one of the most boring, long, drawn out mundane experiences, but we at least have Nancy Grace to make it an extreme sport.

That said, yes I watch my share of reality TV.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/21/06 at 3:25 pm

Damn straight. And you would think they would add variety but instead we get the same crap, just the more extreme version. Everything has to be extreme. If you've ever been in a court setting in real life, you know that it can be one of the most boring, long, drawn out mundane experiences, but we at least have Nancy Grace to make it an extreme sport.

That said, yes I watch my share of reality TV.

I may be wrong here, but I recall the initial idea of CourtTV being more like C-SPAN.  Trials such as the Menendez brothers, William Kennedy Smith, O.J. trials became public dramas.  Why not dedicate a whole cable channel to judicial drama?  The problem, as you say, is that most judicial proceedings are not "dramatic."  What you saw with Menendez, Kennedy Smith, and O.J was the exciting highlights.  There are judicial junkies out there, just as there are C-Span junkies.  A tiny percentage of people would tune in for gavel-to-gavel coverage because they have a lot of disposable time, and they're interested in how the litigious process works.  There are civics junkies who love to watch Representative So-and-So from western Nebraska drone on and on and on about a grain subsidy bill.  Most people, including me, say no thanks.

Even if it's a trial of a man who shredded his wife with a woodchipper, most of court sessions will be lawyers hemming and hawing over the mechanics of the legal process (blah-blah-blah-blah-blah-and-blah) and not lurid eyewitness testimony!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/sleep.gif

C-SPAN doesn't need commercial sponsors, CourtTV does, so to stay afloat they became what I call "CorpseTV"!  Doesn't CourtTV now show their own cheesy movies, like the Lifetime channel?

Written By: Wiffle on 09/21/06 at 4:23 pm

CourtTV shows movies during the day on weekends when there is no incessant court droning to "report".

Yes, in the beginning, I remember CourtTV being a lot more credible and a lot less extreme entertainment.

I don't know how anyone can listen to that constant political monotone droning.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/21/06 at 8:40 pm

CourtTV shows movies during the day on weekends when there is no incessant court droning to "report".

Yes, in the beginning, I remember CourtTV being a lot more credible and a lot less extreme entertainment.

I don't know how anyone can listen to that constant political monotone droning.

I think politicans should study rhetoric and public speaking rigorously.  Take the Kerry/Edwards campaign, I cringed every time they repeated the slogan "Help is on the way."  First off, the content implied people couldn't help themselves.  Nobody likes to feel helpless, especially when they need help.  The Dems needed a message that told the people they were strong and capable.  "You know what the country needs, you elect us to office and make us get the job done.  You, the citizens, are in charge of the country.  We work for you."  If I could boil that down to five great words, I'd be making a lavish salary as a consultant in Washington.  Not that the DNC would hire me.  They only hire geniuses who come up with sh*t like, "Help is on the way!"  Recall how they chanted the slogan.  It was depressing.  It would be depressing even if you didn't understand a word of English.  Even if you utter the phrase with zeal, it sounds mournful...and why?  The three stressed words, "help," "on," and "way," all end on downward pitches.  Why did this fail to occur to all those brilliant folks on the campaign? 

Compare John F. Kennedy's slogan, "We've got high hopes!"  The cadence is quick, the sounds are upbeat.  Say "We've got high hopes" and "Help is on the way" one after the other.  See what I mean?

We now believe that studying theater and poetry is quaint.
"Why don't you major in something you can use in the real world?," we chide.
Words and how to use them not important, eh? Well, neither Shakespeare nor Keats would have suggested "help-is-on-the-way" as a winning strategy. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/jaybee.gif

So (speaking of C-SPAN and CourtTV) that's why so many politicians and lawyers are stark raving dull

Written By: zcrito on 09/25/06 at 5:57 pm

I've heard about this case for a couple of weeks now and just read up on it. Pretty sad all the way around. Her grandparents must be devastated. She killed herself at their home with a shotgun to her head and an article said it was so bad they were only able to identify her by a tattoo she had on her arm. News articles say she was going through a messy divorce and had just lost her job days before her son disappeared. If she did kill her son -- and most likely she did -- it sounds like the previous two weeks prior to her death were more than that 21-year-old could bear.

And another article said this about Nancy Grace...

Grace went to college to be an English teacher, but her life changed in 1980 when her fiance was killed
in a mugging by a man out on parole. Convinced that victims were verlooked in the criminal justice system, she
became a prosecutor in Atlanta, then a quick-witted and forceful pundit for Court TV and other outlets.

I never watch her show. I'm just not interested in those types of things, at least not the way her show is presented. It seems her questioning could have been less confrontational (I haven't seen or heard it, I'm only going by with what I've read) since it was just a matter of time before they would have arrested and charged the mother with murder anyway.

No winners on this one.
:(

Check for new replies or respond here...