» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Manitoba sisters win human rights complaint to play hockey with boys

Written By: limblifter on 09/23/06 at 9:39 am

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=40bc279b-f052-4ed7-ba3b-e1efab9ba152&k=89247

What do you think about this? Personally I think these two girls have done more harm than good for girls high school sports. They have now won the right to have all players judged on an even playing field. Schools will no longer be able to have a girls team and a boys team, just a team. So what's going to happen when they have hockey tryouts and only two girls make the team because the other girls just can't keep up physically with the boys? What happens to the other 10 girls that would've been able to play the sport they love on their own team?

I think this goes deeper than some girls not being able to just play hockey. What about the girls that might have gone on to college with a womens volleyball, or basketball scholorship?

I know I may be coming off as chauvinistic. But think about it. How many women from the University of Florida womens basketball team would make the men's team? Three, maaaaaaaybe four? Yes I know that the story above is from Canada. But i'm using American universities as an example. And lets face it, it'll probably be happening soon in the States as well.

Subject: Re: Manitoba sisters win human rights complaint to play hockey with boys

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/23/06 at 1:24 pm

These situations are always so difficult.  I consider myself a quasi-feminist, but at the same time, I can acknowledge that fact that men and women are not created equal.  Do we deserve equal rights?  Of course.  But then I also believe that equal rights should be granted regardless of race, religion and sexual preference, and we all know that isn

Subject: Re: Manitoba sisters win human rights complaint to play hockey with boys

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/23/06 at 1:45 pm

I'm all in favor of girls trying out for boys teams.....I think that if you can keep up with the guys and you show that you can physically do it, they shouldn't stop you.  However abolishing separate teams isn't the answer.  Not all girls can play at the same level as boys.  Some can, most can't.  To say that unless you play with them and at their skill level, you can't play at all is ridiculously unfair. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/06 at 3:32 pm

I couldn't give less of a crap about scholastic team sports.  Let 'em all go to pieces with their bickering about who gets to join what team.
::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/23/06 at 3:34 pm

I couldn't give less of a crap about scholastic team sports.  Let 'em all go to pieces with their bickering about who gets to join what team.

If you don't care, why did you post?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/06 at 4:14 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/23/06 at 8:02 pm

I can't help but feel the same way, actually. Its ridiculous how much money gets spent on that stuff when so many of our schools can't even afford enough up-to-date textbooks or pay the teachers a decent salary. :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/06 at 10:17 pm

I can't help but feel the same way, actually. Its ridiculous how much money gets spent on that stuff when so many of our schools can't even afford enough up-to-date textbooks or pay the teachers a decent salary. :D

I don't know if things are more equitable in Manitoba, but I remember back at my school the frikkin' football coach made more than the head of the English dept.  Same at my university, just add a couple of zeroes more!

Written By: whistledog on 09/23/06 at 10:36 pm

What about Tackle Football?

Written By: danootaandme on 09/24/06 at 7:45 am

What about Tackle Football?

Who would you rather see on your local pro team, Rosie O'Donnell or Richard Simmons.  It all depends on the play and the player. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/06 at 1:51 pm

Who would you rather see on your local pro team, Rosie O'Donnell or Richard Simmons.  It all depends on the play and the player. 

Rosie O'Donnell and Richard Simmons?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/peepwall.gif
Imagine if they were both on the same team?  The oppositon would lose by default as they threw their togs on the field and ran away in terror!

Written By: Ebontyne on 09/24/06 at 4:11 pm

Those girls went to West Kildonan Collegiate, the unofficial "rival" of my own high school! It's very close to where I used to live.

Not that this information has any bearing on the subject at hand... Just saying it's a small world, is all. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 09/24/06 at 4:28 pm

Rosie O'Donnell and Richard Simmons?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/peepwall.gif
Imagine if they were both on the same team?  The oppositon would lose by default as they threw their togs on the field and ran away in terror!

I can only imagine Richard Simmons playing it.  Once he gets tackled, he starts to cry, then he gets up and starts bitch slapping all the players ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/06 at 4:39 pm

I can only imagine Richard Simmons playing it.  Once he gets tackled, he starts to cry, then he gets up and starts bitch slapping all the players ;D

Now, it's nice to make fun of Richard Simmons, he made a lot of women feel better about themselves...

then again so did Charles Manson.
:-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...