» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Steele "Democrat"... Republican's embarrased of calling themselves Republican

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/24/06 at 7:39 pm

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/elections/bal-te.md.democrat22sep22,1,7071305.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

Subject: Re: Steele "Democrat"... Republican's embarrased of calling themselves Republican

Written By: Davester on 09/24/06 at 10:18 pm

I'm posting the google search results for this article, Chucky.  Can't view the article without registering.  The link, at this time, is the second result down...

"Baltimore Sun: Democrats accuse Steele of 'political identity theft..."

Steele - a double-duplicate copy of a reproduction-in-triplicate of an imitation of a simulated Republican forgery of a Democrat..? 

I'll read on go ;)...

Subject: Re: Steele "Democrat"... Republican's embarrased of calling themselves Republican

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/06 at 12:24 am

There was never any such thing as a "Reagan Democrat."  The proper word was "dupe."

It's funny it's taken this long.  I wouldn't have wanted the title Republican anywhere NEAR my name once Gingrich became Speaker!

Subject: Re: Steele "Democrat"... Republican's embarrased of calling themselves Republica

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/25/06 at 7:26 am

I'm posting the google search results for this article, Chucky.  Can't view the article without registering.  The link, at this time, is the second result down...

"Baltimore Sun: Democrats accuse Steele of 'political identity theft..."

Steele - a double-duplicate copy of a reproduction-in-triplicate of an imitation of a simulated Republican forgery of a Democrat..? 

I'll read on go ;)...

strange, I can see it fine.  I may have used bugmenot for that site in the past and not even remembered:

here's the first page of the article (all I read):

No, Maryland voters, the printer did not make an error. Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele's new campaign signs seem to identify him as a Democrat.

A "Steele Democrat," they read.

Advertisement
The bright blue placards and bumper stickers made their debut yesterday in Baltimore during an event announcing a new coalition of Democrats supporting the lieutenant governor's U.S. Senate bid. Steele, of course, is the Republican nominee for Senate and a former chairman of the state Republican Party.

The group and accompanying signs appear to be the latest Steele effort to distance himself from an unpopular White House and a Republican Party struggling to maintain its hold on Congress. The state Democratic Party chairman immediately accused him of "identity theft."

Steele supporters said the term was akin to calling someone a "Reagan Democrat."

No elected Democrats showed up for yesterday's event, and the crowd was composed largely of participants in the I Can't We Can substance-abuse-recovery program in Park Heights.

Among the few recognizable Democrats to appear was William H. Murphy Jr., a Baltimore lawyer who has ties to Republican Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr.

"I'm sick and tired of being taken for granted by the Democratic Party," Murphy said.

"We don't embrace George Bush, we embrace Michael Steele," he said. "We don't embrace George Bush's vision of America, we embrace Michael Steele's vision of America."

Donald F. Norris, a professor of public policy at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, said that while such cross-party coalitions are a routine campaign gimmick, Steele's new signs are "underhanded" and a "dirty trick."

"Oh ho, we're a blue state, aren't we?" Norris said. "This is an obvious attempt on the part of a candidate who is behind in the polls to confuse the voters about which party he actually represents. To me, it's a form of dirty politics."

To add to the party confusion, a Democrat with the last name Mfume endorsed Steele yesterday.

Michael Mfume - son of former Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Kweisi Mfume - linked arms with Steele in Baltimore.

"I'm here, and I'm in support of Mr. Steele," said the younger Mfume, whose professional experience as a film and music producer includes directing the horror movie Ax 'Em, according to Internet postings.

"Building a bridge," Steele replied, before they embraced before a cluster of television cameras.

Asked if his endorsement of Steele was any indication of his father's political affections, Michael Mfume said he is his own man.

"There's a saying by Billie Holiday that goes, 'A mother may have, a father may have, but God bless the child who has his own,'" he said.

Kweisi Mfume, a former congressman and NAACP leader, has spoken frequently of his friendship with the candidate who defeated him in the Democratic primary, Rep. Benjamin L. Cardin.

Last night, the elder Mfume said that he is sticking with Cardin. "I'm supporting Ben 100 percent," he said.

At Steele's event earlier, the only performer of sorts was a man wearing a suit and tie - and a Bush rubber face mask. After Steele finished his speech in the courtyard of the Eubie Blake National Jazz Institute and Cultural Center, the presidential stand-in - who would not say who sent him - loudly lamented Steele's pitch for Democratic support.

Check for new replies or respond here...