» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Archbishop excommunicated for Moonie wedding

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/06 at 6:37 pm

Something I just heard on the Rachel Maddow show.  Not much on the Web about it just yet. 
I guess Milingo missed that memo from the fourth century.  He got married.  Big no-no for Roman Catholic clergy.  Proscribed nuptials are one thing, but to have your wife picked by Reverend Moon himself and then to get hitched in one of Moon's mass ceremonies?  Milingo has also married men to other men.  Come on, Manny!  You can only push the Vatican so far!  In the Catholoic church, there's no surer road to hell than excommunication.  Milingo's fram Zambia.  He's used to a hot climate, so I guess that'll help!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/teufel.gif

VATICAN CITY: Zambian archbishop is excommunicated

Archbishop Emmanuel Milingo of Zambia, who defied the Catholic Church by marrying in 2001, has been excommunicated after installing four married men as bishops, the Vatican said Tuesday. The ordinations were held Sunday in Washington, D.C.

In 2001, Milingo married a South Korean acupuncturist chosen by the Rev. Sun Myung Moon of the Unification Church, in a group ceremony in New York.

Milingo, 76, renounced the union but last summer said he was living with his wife near Washington.

Compiled from the Associated Press and Bloomberg News

P.S.  Milingo also says the Vatican never appreciated his great value as an exorcist and further more, he says he's not accepting the excommunication.  Hmmmm.....didn't see that clause.  Maybe he's got the pope on a technicality there!
;D

Subject: Re: Archbishop excommunicated for Moonie wedding

Written By: velvetoneo on 09/27/06 at 6:39 pm

One of the great loopholes of Catholicism is that, since all Anglican ceremonies are ordained by the Catholic Church, a priest can get married in an Anglican ceremony.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/06 at 6:43 pm

One of the great loopholes of Catholicism is that, since all Anglican ceremonies are ordained by the Catholic Church, a priest can get married in an Anglican ceremony.

Now that's interesting!  Never thought of that.  But I don't think the same applies to th Unification Church of Sun Myun Moon!
:D

You know, I think gay men ought to be able to get married if they want, but the big guy in Rome does not agree.  Back in the good ole days, this Milingo guy would have been burned at the stake!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/kane.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/27/06 at 7:00 pm

Actually the loophole is that a married Anglican priest can covert to catholicism and become a Catholic priest.

But I *think* he has to remain celibate.  Which kinda makes the loophole rather, *ahem* limp.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/06 at 8:37 pm

Actually the loophole is that a married Anglican priest can covert to catholicism and become a Catholic priest.

But I *think* he has to remain celibate.  Which kinda makes the loophole rather, *ahem* limp.

So then is his wife allowed some kind of a supplement or a surrogate or what?  See, you're not supposed to get divorced OR commit adultry, but there must be some kind of special, uh, dispensation in this case!
:D

Written By: danootaandme on 09/28/06 at 6:13 am

No, if a married Anglican priest converts he can carry on as usual, and this has been a boner of contention amongst some of the progressives in the Catholic church.

Written By: witchain on 09/29/06 at 6:17 am

...this has been a boner of contention amongst some of the progressives in the Catholic church.

There are a lot of those.  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...