» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: What? No Thread on Congressman Foley?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/29/06 at 7:05 pm

I'm astounded.  ;)

Subject: Re: What? No Thread on Congressman Foley?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/29/06 at 7:11 pm

Who is he, what state is he from, and what did he do?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/29/06 at 7:19 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/29/06 at 7:28 pm

Who: Up until earlier today was a US Congressman.  Republican.

What State: Florida

Did What:  Apparently sent emails and Instant Messages to underaged, former congressional pages, wanting to have his own private party, so to speak.  The IMs appear to be the most damning stuff.

What a whackaloon.

Written By: Davester on 09/29/06 at 7:37 pm

Not a good week for the GOP.  First a racist senator and now a pedophile rep...

BTW, notice how all of this bad s**t always comes out on Friday afternoon?  They sure know how to bury a story... :D

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/29/06 at 8:15 pm

Jack Murtha said today the climate now reminds him of '74, when the Dems picked up over 50 seats.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/29/06 at 8:15 pm

Jack Murtha said today the climate now reminds him of '74, when the Dems picked up over 50 seats.

Let's hope that's the case.

Written By: Davester on 09/29/06 at 8:21 pm

Any idea who the Republicans will enlist..?

Should be interesting given that Democrats need a net gain of 15 seats to gain control.  Republicans can kiss this seat goodbye in one of the easiest, least competitive seats in the house.  The midterms look pretty close right now, and Republicans can't afford to lose any "gimme" seats groove ;) on...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/06 at 9:44 pm

Why don't congressmen use bookmarks?
Because they'd prefer to just bend over a page.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rudolf.gif

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/30/06 at 6:28 am

I just hope that if the Democrats win, they don't reinstate the national 55 mph speed limit.  >:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/30/06 at 6:57 am

I just hope that if the Democrats win, they don't reinstate the national 55 mph speed limit.  >:(

Nah, it would be more on the line of banning all cars, then charging a vehicle disposal tax, and then a bicycle license tax, with a phased-in tax on the air needed to inflate the tires.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/30/06 at 9:19 am

Nah, it would be more on the line of banning all cars, then charging a vehicle disposal tax, and then a bicycle license tax, with a phased-in tax on the air needed to inflate the tires.   ;)

No, we keep the cars, we just ban all fossil fuels.  Thus, you can run your car on recycled kitchen grease, or go foot-powered just like the Flintstones.  As for the bicycles, we let Republicans farm that contract out to Halliburton, who then charges $4,300 for rusted out 1959 Schwinn 3-speeds.  Bechtel is in charge of the bicycle pumps, but those never arrive, so you just ride around on the rims!

Anyway, Mark Foley got lots more class than Clinton.  He admitted what he done, said he was sorry, and resigned!  Now he can pursue his...his luuuv...with pageboys full-time!
Now there are misstatements going around that Foley said in his 2004 campaign that homosexuality was "disgusting."  Not true.  Foley said the rumors about his homosexuality were disgusting.  He said he wouldn't answer any such questions because they had nothing to do with his candidacy.  They do wish these revelations had come to light in the spring, because now it's too late under Florida law to substitute another name on the ballot.  What?  Since when do Republicans give a rip about rules regarding Florida ballots?

Now, Mr. Foley was on one of them committees investigating how to keep kids safe on the Internet.  But a 16-year-old pageboy ain't really a kid is he? 

Fortunately for Floridians, Foley is a Roman Catholic and a native Massachusetts boy.  That kinda stuff don't go 'round here, and he ain't rilly from Flow'da!
:P

Written By: danootaandme on 09/30/06 at 2:18 pm

Foley said the rumors about his homosexuality were disgusting.  He said he wouldn't answer any such questions because they had nothing to do with his candidacy. 

They were asking the wrong question,  the should have asked him about his pedophilia tendencies 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/30/06 at 3:21 pm

They were asking the wrong question,  the should have asked him about his pedophilia tendencies   

If they don't know, they can't ask!  Heh heh.  Oooops! Got caught.  I guess its a lobbying career for me!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/30/06 at 3:54 pm

What really gets me about people like this, they are always sooooo sorry-they are just sorry that they got caught.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/30/06 at 6:09 pm

Anyway, Mark Foley got lots more class than Clinton.  He admitted what he done, said he was sorry, and resigned!  Now he can pursue his...his luuuv...with pageboys full-time!

Actually I never had a huge problem with Clinton getting all that cigar action in the Oval office.  I mean, by the time this came out he had been elected TWICE when the electorate already knew he was a hoser.  So no big deal.  Heck, even his wife knew he was a trouser snake and kept with him.

The lying did kinda throw a technicality into the whole thing, but the world is full of people who lied about getting a little nookie on the side.  ;)

Now Foley getting his jollies by perving out with underaged pages?  Sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick.  >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/30/06 at 7:35 pm

Actually I never had a huge problem with Clinton getting all that cigar action in the Oval office.  I mean, by the time this came out he had been elected TWICE when the electorate already knew he was a hoser.  So no big deal.  Heck, even his wife knew he was a trouser snake and kept with him.

The lying did kinda throw a technicality into the whole thing, but the world is full of people who lied about getting a little nookie on the side.  ;)

Now Foley getting his jollies by perving out with underaged pages?  Sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick.  >:(

I'd take Clinton back in a heartbeat--bimbos, cigars, and all.

That bad joke I posted earlier in this thread actually originated in the '80s with the pageboy preferences of Reps. Barney Frank and Gerry Studds.  As far as I remember, those pages were of age.  The difference with Foley is that he belongs to the Republican party, the party of the immoral moralists.  To them, morality means "sexual morality," and family values means "we hate f@gs," so the hypocrisy is much harder for Foley to withstand.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/06 at 3:10 pm

Well, it seems that the House leadership knew about this "little indiscretion" last year.  I'm wondering what else they know about all those so-called "moral" hypocrates.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061001/pl_nm/foley_dc_5

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/06 at 3:39 pm

Well, it seems that the House leadership knew about this "little indiscretion" last year.  I'm wondering what else they know about all those so-called "moral" hypocrates.

Cat

Back inthe '90s when they were going after Clinton's adultery, you had all these Cons talking about character and reciting the cliche, "Character is doing the right thing when there's nobody looking."  But they put up with Bob Packwood for years!  It seems when applied to Republicans, the lesson is, "the crime isn't the problem, getting caught is!"

Heh heh, this guy's name is "John Boehner."  Now, the keep trying to pronounce his name as "Beaner" (no offense, Mexicans), but they taught us in elementary English, "when two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking!"

Of course, the German pronounciation is in between.  For instance, Schoenberg is pronounced more like "Shurn-berg" than "Shown-berg," but oh well...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/06 at 4:01 pm

Back inthe '90s when they were going after Clinton's adultery, you had all these Cons talking about character and reciting the cliche, "Character is doing the right thing when there's nobody looking."  But they put up with Bob Packwood for years!  It seems when applied to Republicans, the lesson is, "the crime isn't the problem, getting caught is!"

Heh heh, this guy's name is "John Boehner."  Now, the keep trying to pronounce his name as "Beaner" (no offense, Mexicans), but they taught us in elementary English, "when two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking!"

Of course, the German pronounciation is in between.  For instance, Schoenberg is pronounced more like "Shurn-berg" than "Shown-berg," but oh well...

I guess "Beaner" is better than "Boner".  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/01/06 at 4:05 pm

I guess "Beaner" is better than "Boner".  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Good one! :D

I'd never heard of this "Boehner" guy anyway, or even his name. If the second letter were U instead of O, then I might have an easier time pronouncing it.

Written By: nally on 10/01/06 at 4:09 pm

But that's not always the case...especially for some words that contain "ea", like "break."

Similarly, there are some words with "ie" that are exceptions to that rule. For example, you don't say "cookie" as "cook-eye." ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/01/06 at 4:41 pm

Cat

Kinda hard to tell.  From the INITIAL emails that were published I was thinking "is this it?".  Did not seem perverted or anything.  If it was just those emails I would not have thought anything of it.

The IM's that have come out (I think) recently are a whole 'nother thing.  This guy was/is a sicko.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/barf.gif

Throw the book at him, I say.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/asta.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/ak.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/06 at 12:25 am

But that's not always the case...especially for some words that contain "ea", like "break."

Similarly, there are some words with "ie" that are exceptions to that rule. For example, you don't say "cookie" as "cook-eye." ;D

Good point.  Actually, I didn't hear that in elementary English.  It was something I overheard the other day.  As you can see, it doesn't really work!
::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/06 at 12:28 am

Kinda hard to tell.  From the INITIAL emails that were published I was thinking "is this it?".  Did not seem perverted or anything.  If it was just those emails I would not have thought anything of it.

The IM's that have come out (I think) recently are a whole 'nother thing.  This guy was/is a sicko.   http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/barf.gif

Throw the book at him, I say.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/asta.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/ak.gif

If they throw him in the slammer, I think you know what's gonna happen to him in there, and that's not gonna help him with his problem now is it?
:o

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/02/06 at 6:10 am

If they throw him in the slammer, I think you know what's gonna happen to him in there, and that's not gonna help him with his problem now is it?
:o

There's a reason they call it the slammer.

Unfortunately in his case he'd end up in one of those country-club prisons where you play tennis and backgammon all day.  >:(

Written By: Jessica on 10/02/06 at 9:11 am

Just caught on the news that now he's being treated for alcoholism. Why do I get the feeling he'll try to blame his perversion on de booze?

Written By: McDonald on 10/02/06 at 4:37 pm

Now I'm convinced. This is a Republican cry for help. They can't hack having absolute control, they have failed miserably at it, and now they have realised that co-leadership has its merits.... Yeah right!

In any case, this couldn't have come at a worse time for the Repugs (or at a better time for the Dems). Go fate!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/02/06 at 4:40 pm

In any case, this couldn't have come at a worse time for the Repugs (or at a better time for the Dems). Go fate!

I was saying the exact same thing to Carlos last night. It should be a very interesting 5 weeks.

Cat

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/02/06 at 5:04 pm

Is NAMBLA trying to infiltrate our federal government? :D

Written By: danootaandme on 10/02/06 at 5:27 pm

Now they are saying that teenage male pages were told that they should "watch out" if Foley got to friendly.  .  This goes back  5 years! And who was it that told them?  The upper level Republicans whose job it was to monitor the pages assigned to republican congressman. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/02/06 at 6:15 pm

Just caught on the news that now he's being treated for alcoholism. Why do I get the feeling he'll try to blame his perversion on de booze?

That's pretty much standard stuff these days.  mel Gibson launches off on his diatribe... next thing ya know he checks in to rehab.

One of the Kennedys did that a couiple of months ago even after denying he was drunk driving.

So Foley now takes his shot at it.  Next thing you'll hear him claiming that he is "the real victim".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/06 at 7:35 pm

^ He could be the "real victim."  The victim of slimebags like Rep. Hastert who knew about Foley's antics for five years and are now using him as a sacrificial lamb to eschew discussion of any REAL issues, ALL of which make Republicans look bad in the face of an election a month away!

There's a reason they call it the slammer.

Unfortunately in his case he'd end up in one of those country-club prisons where you play tennis and backgammon all day.  >:(

That's what I meant, they'd teach him how to cheat at backgammon.  What did you think I meant?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/brushteeth.gif
I saw a documentary on one of those "country club" prisons where they send crooked politicians (it's called Capitol Hill), no really, the rule was "If a golf ball rolls over that white line, don't go after it."

Now they are saying that teenage male pages were told that they should "watch out" if Foley got to friendly.  .  This goes back  5 years! And who was it that told them?  The upper level Republicans whose job it was to monitor the pages assigned to republican congressman. 

Maybe that's a can o'worms none of 'em wants to open up!  Hush hush!  Foley had a few, but perhaps Denny had many!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/evil6.gif

Now I'm convinced. This is a Republican cry for help. They can't hack having absolute control, they have failed miserably at it, and now they have realised that co-leadership has its merits.... Yeah right!

That's what I'm on about, though.  I don't think it's fate.  I think it's strategy.  There is more and more proof all the time that the Bushies intentionally ignored repeated warnings in the summer of 2001, and furthermore, that the Iraq war is an unmitigated disaster.  Now I wish they wouldn't show FOX News in the waiting room at work.  Those patients are in enough pain as it is.  Anyway, I was walking out the other day and there's Ann Coulter (of course) talking about how the Dems will cause "a humiliating defeat in Iraq."  See, if they do happen to lose Congress, it will be a great opportunity for the Repugs to let Iraq totally go down the can and then blame the trillion dollar bloodbath they created on the Dems.  You don't think the American public wood bee stupid enough to buy that one, do you?

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/02/06 at 10:04 pm

That's what I'm on about, though.  I don't think it's fate.  I think it's strategy.  There is more and more proof all the time that the Bushies intentionally ignored repeated warnings in the summer of 2001, and furthermore, that the Iraq war is an unmitigated disaster.  Now I wish they wouldn't show FOX News in the waiting room at work.  Those patients are in enough pain as it is.  Anyway, I was walking out the other day and there's Ann Coulter (of course) talking about how the Dems will cause "a humiliating defeat in Iraq."  See, if they do happen to lose Congress, it will be a great opportunity for the Repugs to let Iraq totally go down the can and then blame the trillion dollar bloodbath they created on the Dems.  You don't think the American public wood bee stupid enough to buy that one, do you?

One would HOPE so, but in the past the American public has shown an amazing capacity for stupidity.

Written By: Davester on 10/02/06 at 11:12 pm

This story is being repudiated...

The Palm Beach Post ~ Page disputes warning about Rep. Foley

Written By: danootaandme on 10/03/06 at 5:48 am

This story is being repudiated...

The Palm Beach Post ~ Page disputes warning about Rep. Foley

Ahhh...but read carefully one page says "The program in no official capacity warned us about it," 

Dennis Hastert admits that he was made aware of Foleys proclivities, and others knew of all this back to 2001, and some of the emails and that they haven't released the texts of are graphic and the Republican page committee was made aware of them at least 5 months ago.  None of this is disputed.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/06 at 11:49 am

Hrrrumph hrrrumph hrrrumph!

Written By: Davester on 10/03/06 at 7:32 pm

Ahhh...but read carefully one page says "The program in no official capacity warned us about it," 

Dennis Hastert admits that he was made aware of Foleys proclivities, and others knew of all this back to 2001, and some of the emails and that they haven't released the texts of are graphic and the Republican page committee was made aware of them at least 5 months ago.  None of this is disputed.

Official.  This has the makings of a full-blown uh, um-m-m, er....conspiracy...

The latest Foley revelations gave me a bad case of schadenfreude..!  I must admit my first reaction was just an evil grin, but, legal, moral and ethical considerations aside, the Dems need to be v-e-e-e-e-ry  careful right now...

And in other news, The Governator snubs Dubya...dang, what the hell is going on around here..?!  :D

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/03/06 at 8:55 pm

Did you see the spin control from the neocons this week?  It's the DEMOCRATS FAULT.  I can't even believe they're using that, or that it may even work.

Despite their leadership having known about it for five years, it's the Democrats fault that it leaked now.  Local Florida news outlets (including Fox News) had received leaked email LAST YEAR but sat on it.  Newt Gingrinch claims the Republicans were afraid they would look like "gay bashers" if they aired this piece of dirty laundy last year (same excuse the papers gave for not running the story).  Since when is the "no gay marriage" party afraid of gay bashing?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/06 at 12:46 am

What if it's true.  What if the Dem's really did hold on to this story in order to pull a cheap 'n' dirty October Surprise?  It seems to me when Karl Rove pulls this kind stunt, he's lauded in the press as a political genius, and every two-bit Repug gets to go on FOX News and say, "Look at those Dems!  They can't take the truth!  They can run, but they can't hide, and the American people know it."

Now--with no evidence of any October surprise conspiracy, just bad timing---the GOP is whining, "No fair!"
Typical Repugs:
1. Can dish it out.
2. Can't take it.

Ann Coulter said---oh, who cares what she said! 

The Repugs had umpteen chances to diffuse the Foley problem with discretion so it wouldn't erupt as an election cycle sex scandal.  They didn't.  Why not?  I guess that would involve stuff guys like Rove and Ken Mehlman are no good at...stuff that doesn't involve defaming the Dems and rigging voting machines!

I still think the Repugs were hoping to distract everybody from the issues with the Foley story, and it's backfired on them bigtime.  That's what I mean.  Karl Rove and co. got such media accolades for being great political strategists.  It turns out they're only good at fundraising, strong-arming, lying, cheating, and hurting people!  That can only get you so far!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/04/06 at 4:25 am

"It's vile. It's more sad than anything else, to see someone with such potential throw it all down the drain because of a sexual addiction."
--Rep. Mark Foley (R-FL), commenting on President Clinton, following release of the Starr Report, September 12, 1998.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/04/06 at 5:40 am

Official.  This has the makings of a full-blown uh, um-m-m, er....conspiracy...

The latest Foley revelations gave me a bad case of schadenfreude..!  I must admit my first reaction was just an evil grin, but, legal, moral and ethical considerations aside, the Dems need to be v-e-e-e-e-ry  careful right now...

And in other news, The Governator snubs Dubya...dang, what the hell is going on around here..?!  :D

Cover-up?  No.  What it is is the people with the responsiblity of running this country were sucking their thumbs and twirling their hair like 5 years olds and giving a "well, you didn't hear this from me, but".  Isn't that a pretty picture.  I would say the Dems have been careful too long.  It is now being reported that the complaints, and knowledge of his, (what shall they call them to make it less vile)...proclivities...go back 11 years.

Oh, and the Governator and Dubya...that is way old news, and the Ahnold isn't the ony one.  There aren't too many willing to have little georgie come-a-calling these days, he is liability.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/04/06 at 1:13 pm

Did you see the spin control from the neocons this week?  It's the DEMOCRATS FAULT.  I can't even believe they're using that, or that it may even work.

Despite their leadership having known about it for five years, it's the Democrats fault that it leaked now.  Local Florida news outlets (including Fox News) had received leaked email LAST YEAR but sat on it.  Newt Gingrinch claims the Republicans were afraid they would look like "gay bashers" if they aired this piece of dirty laundy last year (same excuse the papers gave for not running the story).  Since when is the "no gay marriage" party afraid of gay bashing?

Yeah, I did see that. Unreal. What is really scary is that fact when Bill O'Rielly "interviewing" Ann Coulter, Bill sounded like the voice of reason.  :o :o

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/04/06 at 2:15 pm

Yeah, I did see that. Unreal. What is really scary is that fact when Bill O'Rielly "interviewing" Ann Coulter, Bill sounded like the voice of reason.  :o :o

If Charles Manson was interviewing Ann Coulter, he'd sound like the voice of reason.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/06 at 4:56 pm

"It's vile. It's more sad than anything else, to see someone with such potential throw it all down the drain because of a sexual addiction."
--Rep. Mark Foley (R-FL), commenting on President Clinton, following release of the Starr Report, September 12, 1998.

Takes one to know one, eh, Mark-o!
Can you imagine if it wasn't a 22-year-old woman with Clinton, but a 16-year-old boy?  There would have been a frikkin' civil war!

Matt Drudge blamed the youths themselves:

And if anything, these kids are less innocent

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/04/06 at 5:16 pm

It's funny how the gay men who do get involved with the GOP become its staunchest allies, in spite of all the GOP gay-bashing!

You should read Blinded by the Right by David Brock (if you haven't already).

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/06 at 5:38 pm

You should read Blinded by the Right by David Brock (if you haven't already).

Cat

I use the term "The Republican Noise Machine," which is the title of his follow-up book.  "Blinded by the Right" was great too.  Brock was the one who trashed Anita Hill, as you know, and came up with the sophomoric put-down, "a little bit nutty, a little bit slutty."  Brock knew he had much to atone for. 

What I observed, and I think Brock would agree, is two discrete sides to the Right regarding gay issues.  You have right-wingers who really, really, really hate gays.  You know, your Pat Robertsons, Pat Buchanans, and Michael Savages.  These guys are the true social reactonaries.  They are a minority in right-wing power circles.  The Right uses them to whip up social hysteria as a smokescreen for the real driving force behind the Right--GREED!  I couldn't believe how naive the Left was for making a big deal about Cheney's daughter being gay.  "A-ha, you're a hypocrite, Mr. Cheney!" Do you really think Dick and Lynn Cheney care if their daughter likes to go canyon yodeling?  I'll bet the average weekend soiree at the Cheney home would make Caligula blush.  People on the Left get the idea Republicans are like the people  in "Footloose."  HA! No way!  The GOP is about netting more money and power for themselves and their business partners.  Gay-bashing helps keep them in power.  If balancing eggs on their noses and juggling flaming knives helped keep them in power, they'd be very good at that too!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/puddytat.gif

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/05/06 at 11:10 am

Because you have women's intuition.....imagine that, he IS.  Sorry, I've been pretty wasted in my life and it's never turned me into a homosexual pedophile....

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/05/06 at 11:19 am

It actually should be "Bay-ner".....http://johnboehner.house.gov/bio.asp

Of course, I still prefer Bo-ner ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/05/06 at 11:36 am

There's now evidence the Republicans knew about him fooling around with teenage boys back in 1995.  Too bad they were distracted by something else in 1995, I wonder what that could have been?

Written By: danootaandme on 10/05/06 at 12:08 pm

There's now evidence the Republicans knew about him fooling around with teenage boys back in 1995.  Too bad they were distracted by something else in 1995, I wonder what that could have been?

Newt Gingrichs affair(leading to divorce #2 and wife #3)  no...that wasn't it.... 

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/05/06 at 2:13 pm

Newt Gingrichs affair(leading to divorce #2 and wife #3)  no...that wasn't it.... 

I think it had something to do with consenual sex between two adults... no wait, why would that be a problem worthy of congress?

Written By: freeridemt on 10/05/06 at 2:38 pm

Please this joker is blaming it on everything but himself. God I wish it was 1880 then we could hang the bast@#$.
Just another repug whitewash.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/06 at 4:10 pm

Please this joker is blaming it on everything but himself. God I wish it was 1880 then we could hang the bast@#$.
Just another repug whitewash.

Erm, I'd have to re-check the history books, but you couldn't "just hang the bastid" in 1880.  You still had to to have a trial, a verdict, and a death sentence.  In the year 1880 in Florida there were indeed plenty of people who were hanged without due process.  It was called a "lynching," and most of time John Law just looked the other way.  This crap continued for another 80 years!  It didn't happen much to congressmen. 

I was thinking, what if the Drudge/Limbaugh fantasy is true.  What if these pages were wicked little scoundrels trying to set the congressman up?  Then what happened to "personal responsibility"?  Didn't Foley have a "personal responsibility" to fire them and not flirt with them?
Oh yeah, in the GOP world, "personal responsibility" only applies to poor people.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/06 at 4:26 pm

Oh yeah, in the GOP world, "personal responsibility" only applies to poor people.

It applies to poor people AND Democrats.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/06 at 5:09 pm

It applies to poor people AND Democrats.

Cat

Oh yeah, them too...and 16-year-old congressional pages!

But speaking of personal responsibility, that was my genuine gripe about Bill Clinton.  As mentioned above with Foley, it was Clinton's "personal responsibility" not to diddle around with a 22-year-old Pentagon staffer in the Oval Office.  I think infidelity leads to trouble in any marriage.  Besides, Clinton had to know the "vast right wing conspiracy" was gunning for him.  He had to know the reactionary temper of the country when it comes to sex.  Less than a decade earlier, Sen. Gary Hart got crucified for forny-cation with Donna Rice.  Clinton himself barely survived the Gennifer Flowers scandal during his own Presidential campaign.  America is a funny country that way.  Marital infidelity is rampant among the general population, but we demand our politicians to be pure as the driven snow.  In a country like France, the Lewinsky affair would be greeted with a big so waht.   "So what?  That's what a man does.  Let him screw around while he runs the country.  If he's screwing around instead of running the country, only then do we have a problem."  Not here.  And Bill knew better.  If he had behaved responsibily, he would have made sure Monica's security clearance got revoked after she showed him her thong.  Not Clinton, it was "Yeeee-haw! Hot dayum!"  He was a sex addict.  That gave his political assassins all the ammo they needed.
Differences with Foley:
1. Lewinsky was in her twenties, not her teens.
2. Lewinsky did not work for  Clinton.  She was employed at the Pentagon.  You could say she technically did work for Clinton if she worked for the Pentagon, as Clinton is commander-in-chief.  What I mean is she was not his direct subordinate, she was not his intern, she was not on his staff (not what I meant, wiseguy).
3. Lewinsky, as a consenting adult, aggrassively pursued sexual liasons with Clinton.  She boasted about it.  She declared, "I'm getting my presidential knee-pads!"  What a gal!  That goes back to my original point, Clinton was obliged to prevent Lewinsky from ever returning to the White House.  If these pages were trying to lure Foley, Foley was obliged to discharge them.  I don't believe they were.  I believe Foley was chasing them, and discharged on them!

Written By: witchain on 10/07/06 at 5:18 am

I live in WNY. Yesterday Congressman Tom Reynolds (R) started airing ads stating that he had no idea of the contents of the alleged emails sent by Foley.
He even went so far as to apologize for the ba$tard's actions!

http://www.wnymedia.net/

This is going to be very interesting...

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/07/06 at 7:27 am

I live in WNY. Yesterday Congressman Tom Reynolds (R) started airing ads stating that he had no idea of the contents of the alleged emails sent by Foley.
He even went so far as to apologize for the ba$tard's actions!

http://www.wnymedia.net/

This is going to be very interesting...

Already trying to distance himself, especially since there's already ample evidence he did know, and knew for quite some time. 

the lessons of Watergate are soon forgotten.  It's not the crime, it's the coverup

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/07/06 at 7:52 am

3. Lewinsky, as a consenting adult, aggrassively pursued sexual liasons with Clinton.  She boasted about it.  She declared, "I'm getting my presidential knee-pads!"  What a gal! 

Now we know why so many people want to be POTUS.  ;D

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/07/06 at 7:58 am

Already trying to distance himself, especially since there's already ample evidence he did know, and knew for quite some time. 

the lessons of Watergate are soon forgotten.  It's not the crime, it's the coverup
Of course they are.....and it's ALL Hastert's fault ;)

BTW, I gotta' give props to my man Hastert for not giving in and resigning (yet?) like everyone's calling for him to do.....it should make the elections next month VERY interesting.....

Which brings me to my next question....isn't it funny how this has been going on for YEARS and it's just coming out RIGHT BEFORE AN ELECTION ???

Written By: witchain on 10/07/06 at 10:40 am

Exactly! I think his opponent has the upper hand now.  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/07/06 at 12:47 pm

FOX News booked all the Rightie pundits who have been trying to say it's all a "Democrat" set up, and it's a "Democrat" scandal.  Then they did something I never saw them do before.  I've eyeballing those creeps since the network debuted almost a decade ago.  FNC posted a "D" instead of an "R" after Foley's name.  They did this several times.  Preying on the ignorance of the public as usal.
"Yeah, Foley, I seen him on the teevee, ain't he a Democrat?"
Please.
The Right can't get its story, uh, straight here, and it doesn't want to.  Those guys are desperate!

Don't worry, they're still gonna retain both Houses of Congress next month.  Uncle Karl's making sure of that!

http://sweetjesusihatebilloreilly.com/images/Oreilly_Foley.jpg
http://sweetjesusihatebilloreilly.com/archive/100306B.html

I wonder what the guy behind Foley is thinking,
"Jeez, I let this guy pick up my kid at school, thought congressmen were too busy for that, what was I, nuts?"

Exactly! I think his opponent has the upper hand now.  8)

Heh!  Foley used to be the one with the "upper hand."  Just ask them kids.  Turns out Foley had more pages than the Webster's unabridged!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/07/06 at 12:57 pm

FOX News booked all the Rightie pundits who have been trying to say it's all a "Democrat" set up, and it's a "Democrat" scandal.  Then they did something I never saw them do before.  I've eyeballing those creeps since the network debuted almost a decade ago.  FNC posted a "D" instead of an "R" after Foley's name.  They did this several times.  Preying on the ignorance of the public as usal.
"Yeah, Foley, I seen him on the teevee, ain't he a Democrat?"
Please.
The Right can't get its story, uh, straight here, and it doesn't want to.  Those guys are desperate!

Don't worry, they're still gonna retain both Houses of Congress next month.  Uncle Karl's making sure of that!

http://sweetjesusihatebilloreilly.com/images/Oreilly_Foley.jpg
http://sweetjesusihatebilloreilly.com/archive/100306B.html

I wonder what the guy behind Foley is thinking,
"Jeez, I let this guy pick up my kid at school, thought congressmen were too busy for that, what was I, nuts?"

Yeah, we have been watching Fox, too. What a joke. There was one day (I think two days ago) O'Reilly didn't say ONE WORD about it (or at least we didn't notice). Also, he was interviewing some repub. last night (can't remember who) who was calling for Nancy Polosi and some other dem to take a lie detector test!! He wants to know when they knew about it (but said nothing about Hastert taking one.  ::)  )Yeah, we know all about this being a dem scandal.

FYI: I don't know if people have heard that the e-mails in question were brought to the FBI MONTHS ago and they didn't act on it and now that it is out in the open, they have no choice but to act on it.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 10/07/06 at 1:13 pm

What REALLY blows my mind is the republicans who say things like, "16 is actually the age of consent" and "It's all right for a 52-year-old dude to be asking a 16-year-old boy who's essentially his subordinate what he would like for his birthday and when they can hook up."

OR the guys who say, well, this isn't 'pedophilia' per se, which is a sexual attraction to children who haven't yet undergone puberty. that's the first time i heard that one. most adults arrested for sex with 16-year-olds aren't even shameless enough to trot that argument out.

somebody said the republicans are more interested in keeping their hold on power than protecting the pages in washington. now they're pretty much apologizing for pedophile predatory behavior straight out. it's like they found another rock under the rock they'd already crawled under and crawled under THAT one.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/07/06 at 1:16 pm

Yeah, we have been watching Fox, too. What a joke. There was one day (I think two days ago) O'Reilly didn't say ONE WORD about it (or at least we didn't notice). Also, he was interviewing some repub. last night (can't remember who) who was calling for Nancy Polosi and some other dem to take a lie detector test!! He wants to know when they knew about it (but said nothing about Hastert taking one.  ::)  )Yeah, we know all about this being a dem scandal.

FYI: I don't know if people have heard that the e-mails in question were brought to the FBI MONTHS ago and they didn't act on it and now that it is out in the open, they have no choice but to act on it.

Well, they call Speaker Dennis Hastert "Denny," and you can't spell Denny without D-E-N-Y!
A "lie detector test" for Pelosi?  The Republicans are just mad because one of their own got them in a sex scandal they can't blame on the Dems.  They're trying, but it doesn't work.  David Bossie of Citizens United, a guy I can't stand, who was gunning for Clinton until the day he left office, and then some, one of those obnoxious right-wing nutjobs, has called for Hastert to step down.  Bossie's not the only one.  It's one thing when the Repugs lose the support of the conservative intellectual elite, such as George Will and William F. Buckley, it's quite another when knuckle-draggers like Bossie start disapproving!  

What REALLY blows my mind is the republicans who say things like, "16 is actually the age of consent" and "It's all right for a 52-year-old dude to be asking a 16-year-old boy who's essentially his subordinate what he would like for his birthday and when they can hook up."

OR the guys who say, well, this isn't 'pedophilia' per se, which is a sexual attraction to children who haven't yet undergone puberty. that's the first time i heard that one. most adults arrested for sex with 16-year-olds aren't even shameless enough to trot that argument out.

somebody said the republicans are more interested in keeping their hold on power than protecting the pages in washington. now they're pretty much apologizing for pedophile predatory behavior straight out. it's like they found another rock under the rock they'd already crawled under and crawled under THAT one.

I think "pedophilia" is a misnomer for what Foley's got.  Foley has "ephobophilia," an attraction to post-pubescent adolescents.  I think that's an important distinction to make because I don't see 16-year-olds as "children."  They're not full-fledge adults, but they're not little kids.  When a person becomes a full-fledged adult is rather subjective.  It depends on the individual.  However--
a. these pages were still under the age of 18.  The law doesn't say "it depends on the individual."
b. Foley was still abusing his power to take advantage of subordinates.  If these were 25-year-old staffers, Foley would still be committing sexual harrassment.  The fact that the pages were under 18 adds a discrete element of illegality.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/07/06 at 2:01 pm

I love how "Denny" says, "The buck stops here but it is your fault".

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/07/06 at 2:50 pm

I love how "Denny" says, "The buck stops here but it is your fault".

Cat

Eh, we're dealing with clowns who don't know how to govern.  The Republican party is a criminal enterprise.

Written By: Tia on 10/07/06 at 3:35 pm

I think "pedophilia" is a misnomer for what Foley's got.  Foley has "ephobophilia," an attraction to post-pubescent adolescents.  I think that's an important distinction to make because I don't see 16-year-olds as "children."  They're not full-fledge adults, but they're not little kids.  When a person becomes a full-fledged adult is rather subjective.  It depends on the individual. 
yeah. that's what i told the judge, too, but he didn't go for it.

even if technically there's some accuracy to that using it to try and mitigate what foley did just comes off kinda low and wormy on the part of hastert and the rest of them ding-dongs.

anyway, what's gotta hurt is that most of the anger the repubs are getting is coming from the right! obviously they're not so into the way the "Family values" party loves their children. adolescents, whatever.

anyway, looks like this is a lesson we have to keep learning. check out what was on progressive review today...

http://prorev.com/503TIMESSEX.gif

Written By: La Roche on 10/07/06 at 7:07 pm

The thing that gets me here...

Is that when Bill Clinton got his cock sucked by a consenting adult in the privacy of his own office, he was in fact 'The great Satan'. But, when some two bit Florida crook (and let's face it, everyone in Florida is a crook of some degree) wants to see what a 15-16 year old kid had for dinner the night before.. the hard way.. He's just a mistaken individual. Forgotten, cast aside.

Please, give me a break here.

Written By: Tia on 10/07/06 at 7:31 pm

i always thought the monica thing was pretty grody, and a total abuse of power on clinton's part. but all in all, it doesn't compare to unwanted advances toward a minor! monica was all dancing around flashing her thong and whatnot. and let's be realistic, when it's gettin' all dangled in your face that's totally different than just pestering teenagers outta the blue.

anyway, the repubs went after clinton with such zeal i always say their fanaticism to nail clinton to the wall was the only thing that saved him. he went from being a creepy adulterous lech to being a martyr and the republicans looked like they were trying to destroy his marriage and intrude on his personal life. i get the impression the demos are being uncharacteristically wise on this, holding back and letting the republicans take their hit from their core constituency, the religious right, which is fighting mad about this. (and i think there's an undercurrent of loathing foley's gayness involved with that at least as much as the issue of the pages being minors...)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/06 at 12:46 am

Somehow people think Clinton "got away with it."  He didn't.  He was impeached.  He was the first President in U.S. history to endure the complete process of impeachment.  Then he lost his license to practice law for five years following his presidency.  That's not what I call "getting away with it."

Vince Foster, Travelgate, and Whitewater got the vast right-wing conspiracy nowhere.  Clinton's dalliance got them everything they wanted.  Well, not quite everything.  The senate did not vote to remove Clinton from office.  The Ted Olsons and the Ken Starrs are still bitter.  And in spite of all Limbaugh's yacking, Clinton remained a popular president.  His rating remained in the 60s throughout the impeachment (Bush has been below 40 for more than a year).  On top of that, Gore won the 2000 election!  Democracy's cute and all, but there's a time to say enough is enough!

Oh yeah, and the Righties always say it wasn't about sex. It was about "lying under oath" and "suborning perjury."  Feh, Sean Hannity didn't even know what "suborning perjury" means, prolly still doesn't!   Believe me, it's always about sex with those guys.  It was all made possible by Monica Lewinsky, the face that launched a thousand sh*ts!

Anyway, I detailed earlier why there is no comparison to Clinton with Foley.  Some people around here wouldn't hear it, that's all.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/08/06 at 12:25 pm

http://danzigercartoons.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/dancart2897.jpg

In case you can't read it http://danzigercartoons.com/?m=200608&paged=3

Cat

Written By: Abix on 10/08/06 at 1:26 pm

Well, they call Speaker Dennis Hastert "Denny," and you can't spell Denny without D-E-N-Y!
A "lie detector test" for Pelosi?  The Republicans are just mad because one of their own got them in a sex scandal they can't blame on the Dems.  They're trying, but it doesn't work.  David Bossie of Citizens United, a guy I can't stand, who was gunning for Clinton until the day he left office, and then some, one of those obnoxious right-wing nutjobs, has called for Hastert to step down.  Bossie's not the only one.  It's one thing when the Repugs lose the support of the conservative intellectual elite, such as George Will and William F. Buckley, it's quite another when knuckle-draggers like Bossie start disapproving!  
I think "pedophilia" is a misnomer for what Foley's got.  Foley has "ephobophilia," an attraction to post-pubescent adolescents.  I think that's an important distinction to make because I don't see 16-year-olds as "children."  They're not full-fledge adults, but they're not little kids.  When a person becomes a full-fledged adult is rather subjective.  It depends on the individual.  However--
a. these pages were still under the age of 18.  The law doesn't say "it depends on the individual."
b. Foley was still abusing his power to take advantage of subordinates.  If these were 25-year-old staffers, Foley would still be committing sexual harrassment.  The fact that the pages were under 18 adds a discrete element of illegality.

It's still pedophilia. Let's say  Foley, age 52, is propositioning his 16 yr old grand daughter's friends.  or worse.. his 16 yr old grand daughter? Is it still considered age of consent? NO! It's pedophilia.  The law specifically states, if there is > 5 yrs difference in a person's age,  and the perpetrator's target is 16 or under,consent does not apply.  It's not like he's 22 yrs old and thought she was 18.  Plus it's just creepy to think about.

Written By: Tia on 10/08/06 at 1:32 pm

It's still pedophilia. Let's say  Foley, age 52, is propositioning his 16 yr old grand daughter's friends.  or worse.. his 16 yr old grand daughter? Is it still considered age of consent? NO! It's pedophilia.  The law specifically states, if there is > 5 yrs difference in a person's age,  and the perpetrator's target is 16 or under,consent does not apply.  It's not like he's 22 yrs old and thought she was 18.  Plus it's just creepy to think about.
sure, but according to republicans, pedophilia is now okay.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/06 at 2:03 pm

sure, but according to republicans, pedophilia is now okay.

Partisan pundits like Drudge are trying to call Foley the victim of scheming youths.  It's not going to work.  The consensus in the media formed over the past 20 years rules out any such idea.  I've been excoriated just for suggesting a 16-year-old having a sexual liason with an adult just might NOT ruin the kid's life forever.  People treated me like a pedophile just for saying so. 

"What are you some kind of a sick-o?  I wouldn't trust you around my kid!"
"No, wait, I only said at the age of sixteen, I mean depending on the individuals and the circumstances involved, and I'm not saying it's ever the right thing to do but, but the encounter might not...."
"NO, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT, YOU'RE DISGUSTING!"

Thus you cannot have a society that conditions everyone to believe all sexual contact between adults and under-eighteens is sick, wrong, and 100% vorboten, and then pull a switcharoo for partisan convenience.  Sorry Messrs. Drudge and Gingrich, this sh*t ain't gonna fly!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/nono.gif

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/08/06 at 2:06 pm

Partisan pundits like Drudge are trying to call Foley the victim of scheming youths. 

Please tell me you're joking.  No one with 1 brain cell to spare would think that.......right?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/06 at 2:21 pm

[quote author=

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/09/06 at 12:00 am

Somehow people think Clinton "got away with it."  He didn't.  He was impeached.  He was the first President in U.S. history to endure the complete process of impeachment. 
Actually, you're 1/2 right, he was the first elected president in U.S. history to endure the complete process.....Andrew Johnson was the first, but he wasn't elected ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/06 at 12:34 am

Actually, you're 1/2 right, he was the first elected president in U.S. history to endure the complete process.....Andrew Johnson was the first, but he wasn't elected ;)

Oh, that's right.  Andrew Johnson was impeached the whole way through.  Like wich Clinton, the senate didn't reach the 2/3 majority vote required for removal from office.

Written By: Tia on 10/09/06 at 11:24 am

Oh, that's right.  Andrew Johnson was impeached the whole way through.  Like wich Clinton, the senate didn't reach the 2/3 majority vote required for removal from office.
which congressional page did andrew johnson hit on?

and people say history is boring.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/06 at 2:47 pm

which congressional page did andrew johnson hit on?

and people say history is boring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Johnson

Read the section about the "unconstitutional" thing Johnson did to get impeached.  Think about all the "unconstitutional" things Bush has done just this year.  He's lucky we don't have the congress we had in 1867!  Compare it also to the reason Clinton got impeached!

Written By: Tia on 10/09/06 at 3:05 pm

http://www.armchairsubversive.com/

this is good clean fun. those wacky republicans sure know how to live!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/06 at 3:14 pm

http://www.armchairsubversive.com/

this is good clean fun. those wacky republicans sure know how to live!

I only got half way throught that list before I felt queeezy and stopped reading!
Mind you, I'll bet you could assemble a similar rogue's gallery of dirty Dems.  And it's not just politicos.  It might be John Q. Public nextdoor.  You kow that nice old man you wave to every morning on your way to work while he's walking his dog?  Maybe you don't really want to know what he has in his basement!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/eek2.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/06 at 5:53 pm

Memo from the Great-Choice-of-Words dept.

Rep. Mark Foley to Gov. Jeb Bush:

"Sorry to trouble you ... and I wouldn't if this wasn't so frequent," Foley wrote. "Have I done something to offend the White House? I am always getting the shaft."

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/lsabre.gif

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/breaking_news/15742155.htm

Written By: spaceace on 10/12/06 at 6:32 pm

Foley, the good Conservative Repulican busted for pedophillia.  It's the page's fault.  He should have been a few years older.  OR maybe it was the demon alcohol. OR the Catholic preist that molested Foley when he was a kid.  My opinion, he's your typical CREEPY,creep!! :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/13/06 at 12:51 pm

Foley, the good Conservative Repulican busted for pedophillia.  It's the page's fault.  He should have been a few years older.  OR maybe it was the demon alcohol. OR the Catholic preist that molested Foley when he was a kid.  My opinion, he's your typical CREEPY,creep!! :P

Don't you know it is the Democrats fault along with the "Liberal" media.

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 10/13/06 at 4:37 pm

Oh, how could I have forgotten.  It's those gosh darn liberals fault too.  Thank you for correcting me Cat!!! :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/13/06 at 4:59 pm

Oh, how could I have forgotten.  It's those gosh darn liberals fault too.  Thank you for correcting me Cat!!! :)

No prob.  ;D ;D

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...