» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: A Vote for Foley is now a Vote for ?????

Written By: danootaandme on 09/30/06 at 2:14 pm

My head is about to explode.  The news report is that since it is too late to add or detract a name from the ballots a vote for Foley will now be a vote for the designated Republican candidate!  I have never heard of this before in all my days.  Has anyone ever heard of this thing happening in an election?  It seems to me a Constitutional Question of the first degree.

Subject: Re: A Vote for Foley is now a Vote for ?????

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/30/06 at 3:22 pm

My head is about to explode.  The news report is that since it is too late to add or detract a name from the ballots a vote for Foley will now be a vote for the designated Republican candidate!  I have never heard of this before in all my days.  Has anyone ever heard of this thing happening in an election?  It seems to me a Constitutional Question of the first degree.

Nor have I, but if the Republicans are doing it, it must be legal, right?  They are the law!

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/04/06 at 11:50 pm

"You go to the voters with the ballot you have, not the ballot you might want or wish to have at a later time."

Written By: danootaandme on 10/05/06 at 5:39 am

With a system like this they can put up some popular face, have him/her drop out after the ballots are ready, and designate the vote to that person.  This is just sooooo  Florida Republican

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/06 at 9:51 am

With a system like this they can put up some popular face, have him/her drop out after the ballots are ready, and designate the vote to that person.  This is just sooooo  Florida Republican

OMG, I didn't think about the potential shennanigans they could pull!  I swear these guys remind me of the conmen who play three-card monty on the street corners!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/06 at 10:39 am

"You go to the voters with the ballot you have, not the ballot you might want or wish to have at a later time."

;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 10/05/06 at 4:31 pm

I'd like to see the legality of this disputed.

It seems exceptionally dubious to me as it's very open to abuse.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/06 at 4:34 pm

I'd like to see the legality of this disputed.

It seems exceptionally dubious to me as it's very open to abuse.

I think the only way it will be disputed if Foley was a Democrat.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/06 at 4:39 pm

Cat

If Foley was a Democrat, the FOX News pundits would be calling for the summary execution of every Dem in congress!
::)

Written By: La Roche on 10/05/06 at 4:56 pm

Cat

Hey, he might be a pedophile, but let's not call him nasty names.  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/06 at 5:18 pm

Hey, he might be a pedophile, but let's not call him nasty names.  ;)

You have been listening to Ann Culter again, haven't you?

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 10/05/06 at 5:23 pm

You have been listening to Ann Culter again, haven't you?

Cat

She's just so sexy when she gets angry and ignorant.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/06 at 5:25 pm

;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/06 at 5:46 pm

You'd have to be Steve Irwin to party with her...and maybe not even then!
:-\\

Written By: Tia on 10/07/06 at 3:41 pm

okay. that's officially 100 percent stupid.

Written By: La Roche on 10/07/06 at 6:46 pm

Right.

I mean.. even in Soviet Russia, there was only one name on the ballot, but at least you knew who your vote was for.

Written By: Tia on 10/07/06 at 7:35 pm

i read somewhere that the incumbency reelection rate for the US congress is now higher than that of the USSR politbureau. good work if you can get it, those pages can be tough nuts to crack; it's good to have a lot of time to work on your pickup lines.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/07/06 at 11:26 pm

I mean.. even in Soviet Russia, there was only one name on the ballot, but at least you knew who your vote was for.

Curse this time machine.  Every time I try to tweak it past 2012, I get stuff like this.

"In Neo-Soviet America, you know who to vote for, even if there's more than one name on the ballot!"
"In Soviet Russia, you watch TV!"
  - Yakov Smirnov, Radio Free Russia, February 2013.

Seriously, what the hell?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/07/06 at 11:35 pm

Right.

In GOP-owned Diebold machines, there are two names on the ballot, only one of whom gets all the votes regardeless!

Wot? Did I miss something, Tia?  That was a p*ss-poor Ann Coulter joke I made, but I challenge the certification of "100% Stupid."  Yakov Smirnov's jokes pushed 99.3%, perhaps 99.7% stupid a few times.  100% stupid is a critical threshold achieved by Carrot Top only once in 1993, and even that's in dispute!

Written By: Tia on 10/09/06 at 2:35 pm

ha. i meant the policy, not your joke. 100% stupid is a title actually held by gallagher.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/06 at 2:41 pm

ha. i meant the policy, not your joke. 100% stupid is a title actually held by gallagher.

Maybe they'll hire Gallagher to do to Foley what he did to those watermelons.  He sure is making things inconvenient for the GOP!

Check for new replies or respond here...