» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Eyes on the Prize

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/06 at 4:03 pm

The American Experience is showing Eyes on the Prize.  It was first aired in 1986 and is, in my opinion, the finest documentary of the fight for African American Civil Rights.  Anyone who is actually serious about understanding the era(not just paying lip service) will tune in.

Subject: Re: Eyes on the Prize

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/01/06 at 4:49 pm

The best Civil Rights documentary ever! I remember when it first aired. Imagine my shock during the chapter discussing Emmett Till. Prior to seeing that, I only saw a few childhood pics of him. I never saw his death photo. Unfortunately that made me more angry as a child.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/06 at 5:25 pm

The best Civil Rights documentary ever! I remember when it first aired. Imagine my shock during the chapter discussing Emmett Till. Prior to seeing that, I only saw a few childhood pics of him. I never saw his death photo. Unfortunately that made me more angry as a child.

I am old enough to just remember that.  I didn't understand all of it, but I knew how bad it was.  I also remember how much support his mother recieved at her announcement to have an open casket.  It was the only way to open some eyes, and it did do that.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/01/06 at 9:52 pm

I am old enough to just remember that.  I didn't understand all of it, but I knew how bad it was.  I also remember how much support his mother recieved at her announcement to have an open casket.  It was the only way to open some eyes, and it did do that.

I can see why she did it and I'm glad she did. The point was definitely made. I really hope those who are guilty are burning in hell.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/06 at 12:43 am

The American Experience is showing Eyes on the Prize.  It was first aired in 1986 and is, in my opinion, the finest documentary of the fight for African American Civil Rights.  Anyone who is actually serious about understanding the era(not just paying lip service) will tune in.

That fight isn't over!  The last thing anybody should consider the Civil Rights movement is a done deal.  If there's one thing the past several years have taught me is "the price of liberty is eternal vigilence."  I didn't understand what that meant until this decade.  Always just assumed our leaders would support democracy.  I always assumed our people had learned the terrible lessons of fascism in Europe and the misery of communist dictatorships behind the Iron Curtain.  I never thought we would tolerate the brazen theft of our elections.  Though wrong.

Anyway, I remember hearing about "Eyes on the Prize" when it came out as a TV documentary in 1986.  I didn't see it then.  I'll try to watch it this time around.  It should be out on DVD as well, shouldn't it?

Written By: danootaandme on 10/02/06 at 4:15 am

Anyway, I remember hearing about "Eyes on the Prize" when it came out as a TV documentary in 1986.  I didn't see it then.  I'll try to watch it this time around.  It should be out on DVD as well, shouldn't it?

I'm not sure.  They were having copyright problems with some of the songs involved.  I think I have seen it in a couple of libraries(I am a library stalker, I love going in to different ones and checking out the older buildings).  I would think UMass should have the series.

Written By: Jessica on 10/02/06 at 9:21 am

Sadly, the only channels I get are ABC and FOX. :P

I will have to look this up somewhere though. I have always been interested in the Civil Rights struggle and (surprise, surprise) they never really got super deeply involved in it at school.

And I just read all about Emmett Till. Words cannot express how I feel about that right now.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/02/06 at 4:13 pm

I will have to look this up somewhere though. I have always been interested in the Civil Rights struggle and (surprise, surprise) they never really got super deeply involved in it at school.

And I just read all about Emmett Till. Words cannot express how I feel about that right now.

Do you have a local PBS channel that you pick up?  That's the station airing this.  "The American Experience" is just the name of the program that this show is a part of.

Written By: McDonald on 10/02/06 at 4:39 pm

What date and time does the show air? I think I get a PBS station out of Vermont or somewhere... Maybe New York.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/02/06 at 4:56 pm

What date and time does the show air? I think I get a PBS station out of Vermont or somewhere... Maybe New York.

www.vpt.org

It starts tonight at 9 o'clock.  The listing will say "The American Experience"  I cannot stress what a great documentary this is and how well it captures the civil rights movement of the 50s and 60s. 

Written By: danootaandme on 10/02/06 at 5:02 pm

As I mentioned to Maxwell, you may be able to rent this from your local library.  I believe it is essential to understanding what went on. If it comes out in DVD I will add it to my collection.

Written By: McDonald on 10/02/06 at 5:07 pm

www.vpt.org

It starts tonight at 9 o'clock.  The listing will say "The American Experience"  I cannot stress what a great documentary this is and how well it captures the civil rights movement of the 50s and 60s. 

Damn, I'm going to miss it. I have film club every monday, but maybe I can catch some of it.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/02/06 at 5:20 pm

Damn, I'm going to miss it. I have film club every monday, but maybe I can catch some of it.

If you can get a PBS station, they have a habit of showing things at multiple times during the week, but it may be at 5 am, or 3 in the afternoon.  You have to check the listings of the station you are watching. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/02/06 at 9:09 pm

I just went through all my local listings to set DVR recordings, and it only lists the first two chapters.  What the hell? 

They better add the third later!  >:(

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/03/06 at 1:21 am

I just went through all my local listings to set DVR recordings, and it only lists the first two chapters.  What the hell? 

They only aired the first two last night.....I caught parts of it.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/03/06 at 5:50 am

it is a series, the rest will be aired in subsequent weeks.

Written By: Jessica on 10/03/06 at 9:27 am

[quote author=

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/04/06 at 9:57 am

it is a series, the rest will be aired in subsequent weeks.

Sorry, I think I was a little vague before.  I actually went forward 3 weeks, and there was nothing there.  I set recordings for last Monday and next Monday, but the third Monday they were airing something else.  Does that make sense?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/06 at 5:18 pm

Mark Foley:

Eyes on the Guys

:-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 10/04/06 at 6:33 pm

Sorry, I think I was a little vague before.  I actually went forward 3 weeks, and there was nothing there.  I set recordings for last Monday and next Monday, but the third Monday they were airing something else.  Does that make sense?

Your profile says you are in Salt Lake City.  This is the schedule for KUED

www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/schedule_customize.html

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/05/06 at 9:14 am

Your profile says you are in Salt Lake City.  This is the schedule for KUED

www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/schedule_customize.html

Hey thanks! 

Don't know how I missed them before, but I'm glad to see them now!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/16/06 at 11:27 am

I watched the second chapter of

Written By: danootaandme on 10/16/06 at 4:15 pm

I watched the second chapter of

Written By: Jessica on 10/19/06 at 4:37 pm

I found it, I found it! My library had the whole series in today and I managed to pick it up! Luckily the librarian was cool, or else I would have had to check them out two at a time (new members can only check out two things at a time for a month).

I'm going to start watching it tonight.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/19/06 at 5:42 pm

I found it, I found it! My library had the whole series in today and I managed to pick it up! Luckily the librarian was cool, or else I would have had to check them out two at a time (new members can only check out two things at a time for a month).

I'm going to start watching it tonight.

Prepare yourself.  It is probably the ugliest of what the USA has had to offer.  As you watch remember that the the majority of people are still alive.  My earliest television memories are of the fire hoses on the marchers.  I remember asking my mother what a "negro" was and her telling me that we were negroes.  I asked why they were spraying them with hoses, and I can't remember the answer, but my political education began there.

Written By: Jessica on 10/20/06 at 10:12 am

Prepare yourself.  It is probably the ugliest of what the USA has had to offer.  As you watch remember that the the majority of people are still alive.  My earliest television memories are of the fire hoses on the marchers.  I remember asking my mother what a "negro" was and her telling me that we were negroes.  I asked why they were spraying them with hoses, and I can't remember the answer, but my political education began there.

I watched the first hour last night. I think my jaw was dropped throughout the majority of the program. There were many times I just wanted to reach through the television and smack the sh*t out of some of those racist b*stards. I don't think Dr. King would have approved of that method though.

The power of so many people resisting and protesting peacefully was overwhelming.

And the trial of Emmett Till's murderers was a f*cking joke! I wanted to punch something after seeing those two smug jackasses get off AND then admit to doing it years later because they knew that double jeopardy would protect them. Aaargh. >:(

Written By: danootaandme on 10/20/06 at 3:51 pm

And the trial of Emmett Till's murderers was a f*cking joke! I wanted to punch something after seeing those two smug jackasses get off AND then admit to doing it years later because they knew that double jeopardy would protect them. Aaargh. >:(

Actually, the fact that there was a trial, as much of a joke as it was, was considered a victory in the civil rights movement.  It was extremely unusual and most people didn't believe that it would get to that stage.  Everyone also knew that they would not be convicted. Moses Wright, Emmett Tills uncle should have gotten a medal for bravery ( I will always remember the words "Dar He") instead he had to leave his home a move to where the people in the town couldn't reach him. 

Check for new replies or respond here...