» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Rush Limbaugh does it again!

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/25/06 at 6:42 am

Well, Rush has once again proved he's an insensitive jerk (and that's putting it mildly) by making fun of Michael J. Fox and basically calling him a liar.  Why do people even listen to this a$$hole?

Read the story:  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15408508/

Subject: Re: Rush Limbaugh does it again!

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/25/06 at 8:42 am

Yeah he accused Fox of not taking his meds before making the ad, to intentionally worsen his symptoms for the camera.

Interesting accusation from the drug store cowboy. ::)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/25/06 at 9:40 am

It's like they think we don't realize that they're just grasping at straws to stay in power.  They know damn well they've screwed themselves, and so now they're doing anything they can to smear the Democrats.  It's beyond pathetic.

Written By: Jessica on 10/25/06 at 9:58 am

I logged in just to say that Limbaugh is the biggest f*cking A$$HOLE on earth. My GRANDFATHER had Parkinson's Disease and he went through the same bullsh*t that Michael J. Fox is experiencing right now. So for that fat f*ck to come out and say he was faking it/didn't take his meds just pisses me off to no end.

I wish Limbaugh would OD on all those "prescription meds" he takes. Maybe not enough to actually die, just enough to put him into a coma.

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/25/06 at 10:01 am

I think Limbaugh is actually full of sh*t at heart. Hes a salesman, nothing more. He could just as easily be selling a get rich quick scheme.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/25/06 at 10:11 am

I logged in just to say that Limbaugh is the biggest f*cking A$$HOLE on earth. My GRANDFATHER had Parkinson's Disease and he went through the same bullsh*t that Michael J. Fox is experiencing right now. So for that fat f*ck to come out and say he was faking it/didn't take his meds just pisses me off to no end.

I wish Limbaugh would OD on all those "prescription meds" he takes. Maybe not enough to actually die, just enough to put him into a coma.

I can't believe people take him seriously.  How in the sam hill can anyone listen to his idiotic raving and think "yeah, that sounds reasonable."  ::)

Written By: Jessica on 10/25/06 at 10:16 am

I think Limbaugh is actually full of sh*t at heart. Hes a salesman, nothing more. He could just as easily be selling a get rich quick scheme.

Or prescription drugs. ;D

I can't believe people take him seriously.  How in the sam hill can anyone listen to his idiotic raving and think "yeah, that sounds reasonable."   ::)

They're high. :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/25/06 at 11:08 am

His comment was extremely insensitive against MJF.  It saddened me to watch that video of him, it's so sad what these diseases do to people. :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/25/06 at 12:09 pm

Well, as the folks back home say, "What do you expect from a pig but a grunt?"

I wouldn't wish Parkinson's disease on my worst enemy, not even on Rush himself.  The medications for Parkinson's alleviate some symptoms, but they cause terrible side effects in the nervous system.   MJF can't address the public of he's stoned and prostrate, so of course he's not going to take the medication beforehand.

I don't know what Fox's political persuasion is now, but he was a conservative at the height of his fame.  Fox and his girlfriend were guests in the Reagan White House at the time "Back To the Future" was topping the box office.  Fox even said he hoped the  joke about Ronald Reagan didn't offend the president* (Nancy said Ronnie laughed).  Ronald Reagan is a god to the conservatives.  Did Rush remember that about Fox?  Probably not.  Rush didn't vote for his hero Ronald Reagan in either election because he wasn't even registered!!!  He was probably on dope in 1985 too! 

Even if he did remember Fox loved Reagan and visited him in the White House--even if Rush's stooges filled him in on that fact--it wouldn't have made any difference.  Rush would have spouted the same venom.  Fox went out and spoke on behalf of a Democratic candidate, thus he's fair game for dum-dum bullets and shoot to kill.  That's how the Right operates nowadays.  Look what they did to Sen. Max Cleland (D-GA).  The man lost three limbs fighting for his country, and the Right compares him to Osama Bin Laden.  Then when that doesn't work, they just steal his senate seat from him and hand it to Saxby Chambliss, a chickenhawk who never served in the military at all!  Why? Because Cleland is a Democrat.  You would think the party who can't stop beating the drums of war would show Cleland just a little respect.  Nope.  Not when political power means everything and how you get it does not matter.

Stem cells may have the potential to cure Parkinson's, or the dreadful Alzheimer's disease that wiped out Reagan.

The Christian Right (which is neither Christian nor right) is the only reliable base the GOP has left.  The funny-mentalists' stone age take on religion informs them that a clump of undifferentiated cells is a full-fledged human being, so they call stem cell research murder.  The Right is so desperately power hungry, they can't tell these superstitious loons to stuff it--not even when Nancy Reagan campaigns in favor of stem cell research.  

Fox is no Tim Robbins/Susan Sarandon.  He's not attacking Bush on the occupation of Iraq or this administration's other horrorshows.  Fox's issue is stem cell research. That's why he was campaigning for Claire McCaskill.  Maybe if Jim Talent (R-MO) had the bells to stand up to the christofascists and advocate stem cell research, perhaps Fox would have spoken on his behalf instead!

Yeah, the Right is desperate, but that's not why Limbaugh said such cruel things.  Limbaugh dumped on Fox because Limbaugh's a rotten a$$whole.  I've heard that man's rhetoric for fifteen years and I've never known him to be anything other than that!

Here's to you, El Rushbo: http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/thefinger.gif

*Dr. Emmett Brown: Then tell me, "Future Boy", who's President in the United States in 1985?
Marty McFly: Ronald Reagan.
Dr. Emmett Brown: Ronald Reagan? The actor?

Dr. Emmett Brown: Then who's VICE-President? Jerry Lewis?

Dr. Emmett Brown: I suppose Jane Wyman is the First Lady!
Marty McFly: Whoa! Wait! Doc!
Dr. Emmett Brown: And Jack Benny, the Secretary of the Treasury.
Marty McFly: Doc, You gotta listen to me.
Dr. Emmett Brown: I've had enough practical jokes for one evening. Good night, Future Boy!

(ganked from IMdb)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/25/06 at 12:35 pm

Yeah, it does sickens and angers me that someone (and it doesn't matter who that someone is) could say something so cruel, so insensitive, but then again, I concider the source. This is man who KNOWS about drugs. He is in the same class as Bill O'Reilly and Anne Culter-meaning they have no class.

Cat

Written By: Satish on 10/25/06 at 1:38 pm

I don't know what Fox's political persuasion is now, but he was a conservative at the height of his fame.  Fox and his girlfriend were guests in the Reagan White House at the time "Back To the Future" was topping the box office.  Fox even said he hoped the  joke about Ronald Reagan didn't offend the president* (Nancy said Ronnie laughed).

I don't think that Michael J. Fox accepting an invitation to have dinner with Reagan and saying a few nice things about him is enough to label him as a "conservative". It doesn't really say anything about his actual political views.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/25/06 at 1:41 pm

I think just because Michael J. Fox accepted an invitation to have dinner with Reagan and said a few nice things about him is enough to label him as a "conservative". It doesn't really say anything about his actual political views.

Well, he did portray Alex P. Keaton-the poster child of conservatives.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/25/06 at 1:46 pm

I think just because Michael J. Fox accepted an invitation to have dinner with Reagan and said a few nice things about him is enough to label him as a "conservative". It doesn't really say anything about his actual political views.

You're exactly right, Satish.

Maxwell, what you're saying is a misconception coming from perhaps this incident as well as the fact Fox played Alex P. Keaton on television. He is, and always has been(to my knowledge) a liberal.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/25/06 at 1:55 pm

I myself have to admit, I have questions also about if Michael purposefully choose not to take his meds.

My stepfather has Parkinsons, and has had it for over 15 years (diagnosed in 1989).  And you can tell if he has not taken his meds (especially in the morning), because the tremors are noticeably worse.  When he is on his meds, it is hard to tell other then an occasional minor twitch in his face, and trembling in his hands.

To me, the commercial is actually rather disturbing.  This is because it almost borders on exploitation.  Everybody knows Michael has Parkinsons.  And when you see him on TV, it really is hard to tell most of the time.  He was even on Boston Legal earlier this year as a cancer patient, and hardly a tremor was noticeable.  A vast difference in just the last year, only explainable if he did not take his medication, in order to exagerate his condition (exagerate in the medical sense - not that he himself acted to make the symptoms seem worse).

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/25/06 at 4:52 pm

^ Whether or not MJF didn't take his meds on purpose, it was still inappropriate for Rush and the GOP to call him out on it.

Some lines you just shouldn't cross...

Written By: Mushroom on 10/25/06 at 5:07 pm

^ Whether or not MJF didn't take his meds on purpose, it was still inappropriate for Rush and the GOP to call him out on it.

Some lines you just shouldn't cross...

Excuse me?  that is simply wrong.

Michael himself has admitted many times that he stops taking his meds before political public appearances, in order to let people see him "as he is".  In fact, he did just that last year before appearing before a Congressional Hearing, and admitted that he did it to increase the impact of his testamony.  It is not a secret that he does so.  So what exactly is wrong with telling people about it?

Of course, another thing the ad does not mention is that the person the ad targets in fact does support Stem Cell research.  The only thing he opposes is the use of Embryonic Stem Cells.  He has actually been a major suporter of bills to expand the use and funding of Umbilical and Adult Stem Cells.

I simply see this as playing the "pity me card".  And as I said, I find it disturbing, disgusting, and exploitive.  And I would feel this way, no matter what the disease or cause was.  If they had a weeping woman (or man) on talking about how she had killed her baby and that abortion should be made illegal, I would find it equally as disgusting, disturbing, and exploitive.  My belief on the issue really does not matter at all here, and I am sure that a lot of others feel the same way.

So for everybody thinks this is perfectly fine, then you had better not say anything if in the future an add pops up endoring a "Conservitive" belief in the same exploitive fashion.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/25/06 at 5:14 pm

Michael himself has admitted many times that he stops taking his meds before political public appearances, in order to let people see him "as he is".  In fact, he did just that last year before appearing before a Congressional Hearing, and admitted that he did it to increase the impact of his testamony.  It is not a secret that he does so.  So what exactly is wrong with telling people about it?

Didn't know about that.  I just don't think it's something that should be called out though...especially when it's a real illness, and his presence leads to a potential cure or at least awareness of the disease.  Didn't say my opinion was right, just that I think Rush crossed the line...but he normally does anyway so that in itself wasn't surprising.  I normally listen to Hannity anyway if I have to be indoctrinated :D

Of course, another thing the ad does not mention is that the person the ad targets in fact does support Stem Cell research.  The only thing he opposes is the use of Embryonic Stem Cells.  He has actually been a major suporter of bills to expand the use and funding of Umbilical and Adult Stem Cells.

Didn't know that either.  Haven't paid attention to politics in months :D 

I simply see this as playing the "pity me card".  And as I said, I find it disturbing, disgusting, and exploitive.  And I would feel this way, no matter what the disease or cause was.  If they had a weeping woman (or man) on talking about how she had killed her baby and that abortion should be made illegal, I would find it equally as disgusting, disturbing, and exploitive.  My belief on the issue really does not matter at all here, and I am sure that a lot of others feel the same way.

So for everybody thinks this is perfectly fine, then you had better not say anything if in the future an add pops up endoring a "Conservitive" belief in the same exploitive fashion.

It is probably exploitative and he probably is playing the "pity" card, but the way MJF was flat out attacked just seemed really wrong to me.  I'm not sure I can properly explain it.

Although I agree with you that it should go both ways.  Funny how politics work though, eh?

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/25/06 at 5:43 pm

I myself have to admit, I have questions also about if Michael purposefully choose not to take his meds.

My stepfather has Parkinsons, and has had it for over 15 years (diagnosed in 1989).  And you can tell if he has not taken his meds (especially in the morning), because the tremors are noticeably worse.  When he is on his meds, it is hard to tell other then an occasional minor twitch in his face, and trembling in his hands.

To me, the commercial is actually rather disturbing.  This is because it almost borders on exploitation.  Everybody knows Michael has Parkinsons.  And when you see him on TV, it really is hard to tell most of the time.  He was even on Boston Legal earlier this year as a cancer patient, and hardly a tremor was noticeable.  A vast difference in just the last year, only explainable if he did not take his medication, in order to exagerate his condition (exagerate in the medical sense - not that he himself acted to make the symptoms seem worse).
Meds affect different people in different ways.  I used to know a man with Parkinson's who took his medicine like clockwork.  Some days he was fine and others, he was visibly shaking.  Much of it depends on whether or not you are tired (which has a HUGE effect on the tremors), what you've eaten, if you're under stress, etc.  It also depends on which medications you're taking.  Simply because one person has a relatively "constant" experience with drugs does not mean everyone does.  I can take almost any painkiller and it doesn't have much effect on me, behavior-wise, but others on the same drugs are like zombies....even if we're suffering from the same condition.  My son takes a certain medication for migraines and it usually knocks him out.  I can take the same medication and it does jack squat.  Everyone reacts differently. 
As far as MJF goes, I've heard him say in interviews that he tries to schedule everything early in the morning because his medication is working best at that time and is not as effective later in the day.  Who knows, maybe they couldn't tape the commercial early, maybe he was overtired, maybe he was just stressed.  He's the only one that knows the truth.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/25/06 at 5:48 pm

Excuse me?  that is simply wrong.

It's not so much that he called him out on it, it was the way in which he did.  I don't know if you've seen the video of him or not, but he was clearly making fun of him and basically said that he was faking it.  THAT'S what ticks me off. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/25/06 at 5:56 pm

Meds affect different people in different ways.  I used to know a man with Parkinson's who took his medicine like clockwork.  Some days he was fine and others, he was visibly shaking.  Much of it depends on whether or not you are tired (which has a HUGE effect on the tremors), what you've eaten, if you're under stress, etc.  It also depends on which medications you're taking.  Simply because one person has a relatively "constant" experience with drugs does not mean everyone does.  I can take almost any painkiller and it doesn't have much effect on me, behavior-wise, but others on the same drugs are like zombies....even if we're suffering from the same condition.  My son takes a certain medication for migraines and it usually knocks him out.  I can take the same medication and it does jack squat.  Everyone reacts differently. 
As far as MJF goes, I've heard him say in interviews that he tries to schedule everything early in the morning because his medication is working best at that time and is not as effective later in the day.  Who knows, maybe they couldn't tape the commercial early, maybe he was overtired, maybe he was just stressed.  He's the only one that knows the truth.

Very well said!

It's not so much that he called him out on it, it was the way in which he did.  I don't know if you've seen the video of him or not, but he was clearly making fun of him and basically said that he was faking it.  THAT'S what ticks me off. 

Exactly.  The point is, Rush Limbaugh is a complete and utter jackass.  Making fun of someone with a debilitating illness is not ok.  Plain and simple.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/25/06 at 6:01 pm

Limbaugh is an idiot and has no class. The part that really stepped over the line was the "maybe he was acting, he's an actor after all". Maybe he didn't take his meds for the commercials, I don't know, but to accuse him of faking is not acceptable.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/25/06 at 6:24 pm

If MJF is not taking his meds before he goes to the fundraisers then good for him.  Let people get a dose of what it is like for the many many people who can't get the drugs they need to care for the illness.  Some people admire extreme athletes, extreme skiers, extreme football, well they have nothing on someone who stands in front of a crowd with extreme disease.  MJF deserves a medal for showing some of the truth of what his life is like, and the lives of people like him. Sigs aunt who died of the disease, it was awful what she and the family had to go through.  No one would have put her on stage to show the ravages of the disease, so MJF gets up and does it for her.  It is what people need to wake them up.  As for Rush, the darling of the right wing, families values, hippocrates.  We are talking about the man who got his jollies making fun of Chelsea Clinton on his show when she was what...12 years old, comparing looks to a pig. Rush is nothing more than a pill popping, menopausal, self loathing closet queen, and anyone who listens to him isn't much better.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/25/06 at 6:30 pm

If MJF is not taking his meds before he goes to the fundraisers then good for him.  Let people get a dose of what it is like for the many many people who can't get the drugs they need to care for the illness.  Some people admire extreme athletes, extreme skiers, extreme football, well they have nothing on someone who stands in front of a crowd with extreme disease.  MJF deserves a medal for showing some of the truth of what his life is like, and the lives of people like him. Sigs aunt who died of the disease, it was awful what she and the family had to go through.  No one would have put her on stage to show the ravages of the disease, so MJF gets up and does it for her.  It is what people need to wake them up.  As for Rush, the darling of the right wing, families values, hippocrates.  We are talking about the man who got his jollies making fun of Chelsea Clinton on his show when she was what...12 years old, comparing looks to a pig. Rush is nothing more than a pill popping, menopausal, self loathing closet queen, and anyone who listens to him isn't much better.

http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/1074.gif

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/25/06 at 6:37 pm

Here Here!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/luxhello.gif

Written By: whistledog on 10/25/06 at 6:40 pm

Rush Limbaugh should be beaten with a baseball bat

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/25/06 at 8:30 pm

Rush Limbaugh should be beaten with a baseball bat

As a Reaganite who believes firmly in swift and sure justice, I must ask you... what did the bat do to deserve it?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/06 at 12:06 am

As a Reaganite who believes firmly in swift and sure justice, I must ask you... what did the bat do to deserve it?

Dang!  You beat me to the punch again!  I was gonna say, "poor baseball bat."

'Nother Karma point to Danoota!  What was that you said about Hippocrates?  I do think the Hippocratic oath comes into play here!

You're exactly right, Satish.

Maxwell, what you're saying is a misconception coming from perhaps this incident as well as the fact Fox played Alex P. Keaton on television. He is, and always has been(to my knowledge) a liberal.

So why didn't Ron and Nancy have Scott Baio over for burgers?  Not just any sit-com star got an invite to the White House!
:D
No, trust me on this one, Fox was a Reagan fan, and it wasn't just life imitates Alex P. Keaton!  Hey, Reagan was a fellow actor, after all.  A lot of people loved Reagan in 1985 who were thoroughly disgusted with him by the end of his administration.  Furthermore, being a conservative in 1985 wasn't the same as it is today.  Nowadays if you call yourself a conservative and you're not on the Mussolini bandwagon, Ann Coulter rakes you over the coals.  Just today I thought the one pro-stem cell research person they can't touch is Nancy Reagan.  Wrong again.  Coulter was on H&C tonight, and she declared Nancy Reagan let herself get used by the "Democrat" party!  Guess who else was on.  Michael Reagan, and he said the same thing!  He ran his own mother down!  That's how pathologically obsessed these creeps are with their fascist loyalty!

Written By: whistledog on 10/26/06 at 12:14 am

It's Limbaugh's bat, and anything he owns must be destroyed along with him

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/06 at 12:35 am

Rush sure as hell wouldn't have a problem if Fox was off his meds whilst stumping for Santorum, and saying, "Stem cell research can't cure Parkinson's, it's a waste of valuable tax dollars!" 
I don't like it when people ridicule others for their "looks."  When Rush made fun of Chelsea Clinton, he weighed about 350 pounds!  Then Al Franken had to title his book, "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot."  So then some rightwing jagoff wrote a reply book, "Al Franken is a Buck-Toothed Moron."  Well, Al, you kinda earned that one!  And it just goes on and on.  Are we in the schoolyard playing the dozens? 
Ridiculing Chelsea Clinton was beyond the pale.  That confirmed to me exactly what kind of person Rush is.  BTW, he also made fun of Christopher Reeves. Can't find the quote at the moment.

I wouldn't run down Rush for taking Viagra per se.  I would run him down for preaching moral rectitude and then taking his private jet and his bottle o'Viagra to the Dominican Republic!  This is a man who could afford the most high-priced Beverly Hills call girls five at a time and pay them al copious hush money afterwards!  He could just have his accountant dispense the cash.  I think he was going to the DR to exploit children!
>:(

Written By: spaceace on 10/26/06 at 8:28 am

I have listen to Rush Limbaugh.  No Sir, I didn't like it.  What he said about MJF was ignorant.  There is nothing more disheartening than a fat, ranting, conservative hooked on morphine derivatives and viagra.

Written By: Jessica on 10/26/06 at 10:49 am

THANK YOU.

I personally take offense to his sh*t. Like I said, my grandfather died while suffering from the ravages of Parkinson's Disease. It was horrible to see, even when he did take his meds. From my point of view, there is a point in this disease where the meds don't do much anymore. My grandfather always had a violent tremble in his hands and legs, and you could barely understand his Spanish (predominant language). He would also get frustrated with it, and you could tell. For a man who had served this country in honor during WWII and had always been a proud, hardworking human being, this was a blow for him. By the time he died, he was so far gone that nothing would have helped.

Rush will get his. Karma is a bitch.

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/26/06 at 11:11 am

No, trust me on this one, Fox was a Reagan fan, and it wasn't just life imitates Alex P. Keaton!  Hey, Reagan was a fellow actor, after all.  A lot of people loved Reagan in 1985 who were thoroughly disgusted with him by the end of his administration.  Furthermore, being a conservative in 1985 wasn't the same as it is today.  Nowadays if you call yourself a conservative and you're not on the Mussolini bandwagon, Ann Coulter rakes you over the coals.  Just today I thought the one pro-stem cell research person they can't touch is Nancy Reagan.  Wrong again.  Coulter was on H&C tonight, and she declared Nancy Reagan let herself get used by the "Democrat" party!  Guess who else was on.  Michael Reagan, and he said the same thing!  He ran his own mother down!  That's how pathologically obsessed these creeps are with their fascist loyalty!

Well perhaps Fox was a fan of Reagan at that time in the 80s, but as far as I know hes not a conservative now or the last few years.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/26/06 at 1:49 pm

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/uc/20061025/ltt061026.gif

In case you can't read it:

http://news.yahoo.com/edcartoons/tomtoles

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 10/26/06 at 3:21 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/verlegen.gifI like that cartoon!!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/26/06 at 3:22 pm

I was with you up until the "closet queen" part.  There's no way Rush takes it up the pooper.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/26/06 at 4:47 pm

I was with you up until the "closet queen" part.  There's no way Rush takes it up the pooper.

He certainly gives it up the pooper to his audience everyday, and they spread their cheeks and beg for more.  :D

Written By: spaceace on 10/26/06 at 5:31 pm

And he gets paid for it!!! :P

Written By: Abix on 10/26/06 at 5:37 pm

I'm a nurse in the field of Neurology, and quite often the medications used to treat Parkinson's can have side effects  such as 'serpentine movements', the writhing snake like movements seen in Michael J. Fox. These side effects are known as extrapyramidal side effects. Sometimes they are permanent.  The medications used for Parkinsons have to be given on a strict timed schedule or the patient will exhibit rigidity, and increased tremors. The medications can also have the patient exhibit 'mask like ' appearances. This means they have very little movement to their face, kind of a 'blank stare' . Depending on the severity of a person's condition, the side effects/ therapeutic effects of the medications used to treat Parkinsons will vary from patient to patient. I would say that Michael J. Fox has severe Parkinson's just based on his rapid decline from the 80's to the 90's.  

http://www.drugs.com/MTM/S/Sinemet.html

I added the above link, because Sinemet (carbidopa/levodopa) is the most common Anti Parkinsons medication. I'm not sure what Michael J. Fox's medication regimen is.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/06 at 11:31 pm

I'm a nurse in the field of Neurology, and quite often the medications used to treat Parkinson's can have side effects  such as 'serpentine movements', the writhing snake like movements seen in Michael J. Fox. These side effects are known as extrapyramidal side effects. Sometimes they are permanent.  The medications used for Parkinsons have to be given on a strict timed schedule or the patient will exhibit rigidity, and increased tremors. The medications can also have the patient exhibit 'mask like ' appearances. This means they have very little movement to their face, kind of a 'blank stare' . Depending on the severity of a person's condition, the side effects/ therapeutic effects of the medications used to treat Parkinsons will vary from patient to patient. I would say that Michael J. Fox has severe Parkinson's just based on his rapid decline from the 80's to the 90's.  

http://www.drugs.com/MTM/S/Sinemet.html

I added the above link, because Sinemet (carbidopa/levodopa) is the most common Anti Parkinsons medication. I'm not sure what Michael J. Fox's medication regimen is.

So in your medical opinion, would you say it's bad practice for Fox to hold his meds when he's trying to work?  I heard Fox's meds incapacitate him too much to be an actor.  He still has a role on "Boston Legal."  I assumed the "serpentine" movements were a symptom of the disease itself.  Sometimes the treatment hurts more than the disease! 

It's like all those patients with psychotic disorders who ended up with irreversable tardive dyskinesia* from the old neuroleptics such as Haldol and Thorazine--you still suffer from psychosis AND your face twitches all the time too!
::)

*Which you know as a nurse in neurology, is symptomatically the opposite of Parkinson's.

Where there's will, there's a way!
:P

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/27/06 at 8:27 am

He certainly gives it up the pooper to his audience everyday, and they spread their cheeks and beg for more.  :D
Well, I DO know quite a few people who would love to ream his a$$, but I doubt they'd use one of their OWN body parts to do it ;)

Written By: Abix on 10/27/06 at 9:16 am

So in your medical opinion, would you say it's bad practice for Fox to hold his meds when he's trying to work?  I heard Fox's meds incapacitate him too much to be an actor.  He still has a role on "Boston Legal."  I assumed the "serpentine" movements were a symptom of the disease itself.  Sometimes the treatment hurts more than the disease! 

It's like all those patients with psychotic disorders who ended up with irreversable tardive dyskinesia* from the old neuroleptics such as Haldol and Thorazine--you still suffer from psychosis AND your face twitches all the time too!

*Which you know as a nurse in neurology, is symptomatically the opposite of Parkinson's.

meds like sinemet, carbidopa/levodopa,  usually have to be given on a timely basis around the clock or you will see a worsening of symptoms, in Parkinsons i.e.  tremors, ridgidity, shuffling unsteady gait.  The serpentine movements , if you ask me, are a sign of  dyskinesia ,  (a side effect) which could be related to his meds.  But I'm not his health care provider, so it would only be speculation on my part. Medications like Bromocriptine, Parlodel could be used in adjunction with carbidopa/levodopa to try and minimize the movements, but it wouldn't be a cure.  There are new meds being used as well to treat Parkinsons (Requip, which is fairly new and also used to treat restless leg syndrome. But one of the side effects again, are hypokinesia, hyperkinesia (both decreased and increased movements). My whole point is, the medications themselves, can sometimes have negative side effects, but you have to weigh the good vs the bad. Do you want further deterioration physically as well as mentally, without medications? 

Written By: Mushroom on 10/27/06 at 10:05 am

Michael J Fox is just a patsy for the biotech corporations that are funding this bill in the first place.

And I have no problem exposing the truth of this.  A lot of people are missing the fact that this proposed law is not really about Stem Cell research.  It is about "human cloning and embryonic stem cell development".  Right in the bill are the requirements for donation (young women, 18-28) and how much they will be paid for the donation ($2,000-5,000).

And who is paying for the donations?  Not the companies.  Oh no-no-no-no-no.  It is the State of Missouri that will be paying for these donations.  In fact, part of the bill provides a huge infusion of cash to these companies to do their research.

http://www.bdfund.org/missouricloning.asp

Written By: Jessica on 10/27/06 at 10:28 am

Michael J Fox is just a patsy for the biotech corporations that are funding this bill in the first place.

And I have no problem exposing the truth of this.  A lot of people are missing the fact that this proposed law is not really about Stem Cell research.  It is about "human cloning and embryonic stem cell development".  Right in the bill are the requirements for donation (young women, 18-28) and how much they will be paid for the donation ($2,000-5,000).

And who is paying for the donations?  Not the companies.  Oh no-no-no-no-no.  It is the State of Missouri that will be paying for these donations.  In fact, part of the bill provides a huge infusion of cash to these companies to do their research.

http://www.bdfund.org/missouricloning.asp

Give me a website that isn't so obviously in the Conservative way of thinking and I might believe you.

And if you think I'm wrong, then you need to check out their BDF store and tell me why they're selling a book called, "Hollywood Nation: Left Coast Lies, Old Media Spin, and the New Media Revolution" and touting Bill O'Reilly, Mel Gibson, and Ann Coulter as new media heroes. ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/06 at 10:52 am

Give me a website that isn't so obviously in the Conservative way of thinking and I might believe you.

And if you think I'm wrong, then you need to check out their BDF store and tell me why they're selling a book called, "Hollywood Nation: Left Coast Lies, Old Media Spin, and the New Media Revolution" and touting Bill O'Reilly, Mel Gibson, and Ann Coulter as new media heroes. ::)

Applause.

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 10/27/06 at 10:53 am

OK, here is the full text, right from the Missouri Government:

http://www.sos.mo.gov/elections/2006petitions/ppStemCell.asp

Of course, that is a heavily edited version.  Here is the full version:

http://www.missouricures.com/documents/Initiative.pdf

(2)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/27/06 at 11:51 am

OK, here is the full text, right from the Missouri Government:

http://www.sos.mo.gov/elections/2006petitions/ppStemCell.asp

Of course, that is a heavily edited version.  Here is the full version:

http://www.missouricures.com/documents/Initiative.pdf

(2)

Written By: WalkerP20 on 10/27/06 at 3:08 pm

VIDEO of Michael J. Fox's response - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8lsjfjgAA8

Written By: Abix on 10/27/06 at 5:47 pm

VIDEO of Michael J. Fox's response - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8lsjfjgAA8

his response confirms my suspicions that the snake like movements are a side effect of his medications. See my previous post. I'd really like to know what university "Dr. Limbaugh" received his degree in medicine from.  He's an idiot.  Maybe he should hang out at a nursing home and he can see the ravages of Parkinsons.  Then he would see that MJ Fox is not 'acting' .

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/06 at 5:55 pm

his response confirms my suspicions that the snake like movements are a side effect of his medications. See my previous post. I'd really like to know what university "Dr. Limbaugh" received his degree in medicine from.  He's an idiot.  Maybe he should hang out at a nursing home and he can see the ravages of Parkinsons.  Then he would see that MJ Fox is not 'acting' .

I think "Dr. Limbaugh" got his degree from the same university as "Dr. Cruise" did.  ::)

Cat

Written By: Abix on 10/27/06 at 6:00 pm

this was what Keith Olbermann had to say.. Michael J Fox responded with grace. I agree. He could have replied with cheap shots about Oxycontin and Vicodin, but he responded with intelligence and understanding of people who might be without knowledge of the disease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10MThGwtnqk

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/27/06 at 6:28 pm

this was what Keith Olbermann had to say.. Michael J Fox responded with grace. I agree. He could have replied with cheap shots about Oxycontin and Vicodin, but he responded with intelligence and understanding of people who might be without knowledge of the disease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10MThGwtnqk

yes, I was just going to post something like this....MJF acted in a mature way regarding the issue, unlike his accuser. ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/06 at 6:31 pm

yes, I was just going to post something like this....MJF acted in a mature way regarding the issue, unlike his accuser. ::)

Rush? Mature? I don't think anyone can accuse him of that. 

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/06 at 7:24 pm

Dr. Limbaugh specializes in pain medicine.  We get the pain, he gets the medicine! 
Rush may indeed know Fox was not acting.  It wouldn't matter.  Partisan politics comes first, the truth trails lightyears behind!

Written By: Abix on 10/27/06 at 7:39 pm

Now, I'm no expert on politics, and I wouldn't claim to know all there is to know about the subject. I do however have pretty firm opinions on certain things. I used to be a staunch 'pro lifer' back in the day.  However, working in the medical field all these years (since 1987), I feel that the wonders of modern medicine and research, are paving the way for diseases such as Parkinson's , Huntington's (a genetic disease far more debilitating and deadly than Parkinsons), Alzheimers, ALS, MS. I also believe that health and medicine when it comes to patient care/ choices in treatment have NO PLACE in the political field. Politicians and Insurance Companies (don't even get me started on the HMOs ) in essence are practicing medicine without a license when they can determine/dictate  our health care choices.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/27/06 at 7:52 pm

Rush? Mature? I don't think anyone can accuse him of that. 

Cat

you can say that again! ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/06 at 8:30 pm

Now, I'm no expert on politics, and I wouldn't claim to know all there is to know about the subject. I do however have pretty firm opinions on certain things. I used to be a staunch 'pro lifer' back in the day.  However, working in the medical field all these years (since 1987), I feel that the wonders of modern medicine and research, are paving the way for diseases such as Parkinson's , Huntington's (a genetic disease far more debilitating and deadly than Parkinsons), Alzheimers, ALS, MS. I also believe that health and medicine when it comes to patient care/ choices in treatment have NO PLACE in the political field. Politicians and Insurance Companies (don't even get me started on the HMOs ) in essence are practicing medicine without a license when they can determine/dictate  our health care choices.

It's terrible in the mental health field.  A guy gets admitted to the psych unit in a florid state of schizophrenia.  Who decideds how long he stays?  The psychiatrists?  The counseling staff?  No. The bean counters!  The guy gets chucked back out on the street in 13 days when the hospital needs three months to do the job!  It's like a contractor saying he needs 100 foot beam and some budget overseer saying, "we will only pay for a 25 foot beam!"
"But the building won't stand up."
"Don't care!"

Written By: Abix on 10/27/06 at 8:33 pm

It's terrible in the mental health field.  A guy gets admitted to the psych unit in a florid state of schizophrenia.  Who decideds how long he stays?  The psychiatrists?  The counseling staff?  No. The bean counters!  The guy gets chucked back out on the street in 13 days when the hospital needs three months to do the job!  It's like a contractor saying he needs 100 foot beam and some budget overseer saying, "we will only pay for a 25 foot beam!"
"But the building won't stand up."
"Don't care!"

EXACTLY!!

Written By: spaceace on 10/29/06 at 4:59 pm

Does anyone remember Pope John Paul the Second?  He had Parkinson's and I can remember his struggle with it.  The question is... where is Limbaugh's head these days?  Just wait till he gets OLDER!!  or sicker, to where Viagra or morphine derivatives don't help!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/29/06 at 8:44 pm

Does anyone remember Pope John Paul the Second?  He had Parkinson's and I can remember his struggle with it.  The question is... where is Limbaugh's head these days?  Just wait till he gets OLDER!!  or sicker, to where Viagra or morphine derivatives don't help!!

When the political climate changes and Rush's star falls, he will turn into Howard Hughes.  All his money won't buy him love.  He'll be alone in his palace.  He'll be isolated, paranoid, and zonked out of his mind.

I can only dream one day the Limbaugh era will be seen as the nadir of American culture.  We were brought to the brink of American nazism and pulled back in the nick of time.  We will remember Rush as the kid beating the swastika drum.

Written By: spaceace on 10/30/06 at 9:42 am

Wow!  I can imagine it now... :) :)

Check for new replies or respond here...