» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Farewell Marine

Written By: Abix on 11/01/06 at 10:52 am

not sure if this will work, but let me try it.

This tribute , regardless of what you think of the War in Iraq, is very moving.  Pray for our troops and bring our troops home NOW!!!

http://www.yellowribbongreetings.us/farewellmarine.html

Subject: Re: Farewell Marine

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/01/06 at 11:23 am

Well now I'm crying at work...

Very beautiful, Abix.  Thanks for sharing it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/01/06 at 1:53 pm

wow....that was so beautiful and so sad at the same time. :\'(

Written By: Abix on 11/01/06 at 1:56 pm

Yes, I was quite moved by it also.  :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/01/06 at 7:20 pm

He became a Marine to protect and to serve.  Our government got him killed for oil.

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902

Written By: Abix on 11/02/06 at 9:45 am

karma to you Max. Your statement simplifies the big web of lies and deceit that Bush and his backers have created all in the name of homeland security. Our men and women become military people for their own reasons, (to serve our country, to protect our freedom, to get ahead in the shi++y life that's been served to them on a dirty plate), only to go to some foreign land under the guise of 'homeland security' and 'democracy', and end up coming home maimed, wounded, emotionally scarred for life, forever changed. Sometimes you have to wonder if the ones who are killed in action are 'luckier' than the ones who have to live with the questions the rest of their lives. "WHY?"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/02/06 at 5:50 pm

karma to you Max. Your statement simplifies the big web of lies and deceit that Bush and his backers have created all in the name of homeland security. Our men and women become military people for their own reasons, (to serve our country, to protect our freedom, to get ahead in the shi++y life that's been served to them on a dirty plate), only to go to some foreign land under the guise of 'homeland security' and 'democracy', and end up coming home maimed, wounded, emotionally scarred for life, forever changed. Sometimes you have to wonder if the ones who are killed in action are 'luckier' than the ones who have to live with the questions the rest of their lives. "WHY?"

Phew! I was expecting a smackdown for posting that!  Thanks for the KP, right back atcha for understanding. 

It's not that General Butler thought protecting the country was a racket.  Just the opposite, and he said so.  Butler's statements probably lost some of their weight when WWII started.  Of course, international bankers and corporations funded Hitler's rise to power.  The Bush family was up to their necks in it.  However, I cannot make an argument against fighting the Axis powers, neither could Butler.  Once WWII was over, the evils Butler spoke of in the 1930s started right back up again.  Foremost in my mind was is the 1953 CIA-backed coup against Mohammed Mossadegh, the democratically elected prime minister of Iran, and the return of the despotic Shah.  What was that all about?  Oil and who controls it.

They don't teach this stuff in American public schools.  They do let the Marines advertise themselves.  I therefore don't expect a patriotic 17-year-old to understand the corporate-driven impetus of warfare.  The last thing I intended was to knock the intentions of a Marine who served and died in Iraq.  I admire those guys.  I could never have made the cut for the Marines.  I don't have the constitution for it! 

If we Americans learned General Butler's understanding of war for greed, the culture might change to the point where we would not tolerate the acts of aggression we see in Iraq.  Maybe then the Marines would be deployed to protect and serve us, not Exxon!

Written By: freeridemt on 11/03/06 at 1:16 pm

Phew! I was expecting a smackdown for posting that!  Thanks for the KP, right back atcha for understanding. 

It's not that General Butler thought protecting the country was a racket.  Just the opposite, and he said so.  Butler's statements probably lost some of their weight when WWII started.  Of course, international bankers and corporations funded Hitler's rise to power.  The Bush family was up to their necks in it.  However, I cannot make an argument against fighting the Axis powers, neither could Butler.  Once WWII was over, the evils Butler spoke of in the 1930s started right back up again.  Foremost in my mind was is the 1953 CIA-backed coup against Mohammed Mossadegh, the democratically elected prime minister of Iran, and the return of the despotic Shah.  What was that all about?  Oil and who controls it.

They don't teach this stuff in American public schools.  They do let the Marines advertise themselves.  I therefore don't expect a patriotic 17-year-old to understand the corporate-driven impetus of warfare.  The last thing I intended was to knock the intentions of a Marine who served and died in Iraq.  I admire those guys.  I could never have made the cut for the Marines.  I don't have the constitution for it! 

If we Americans learned General Butler's understanding of war for greed, the culture might change to the point where we would not tolerate the acts of aggression we see in Iraq.  Maybe then the Marines would be deployed to protect and serve us, not Exxon!

Max it was always like that. Remember that the civil war started not because of slavery. Because Lincoin said he would free them and change some laws about the states rights.  Remember that Lincoin could not have freed them without  congress and the senate, then the states ratifying a new amendment to the Constitution. Because in the original draft Jefferson's had to put the clause back in for the states to keep slaves or the Carolinas would not have supported it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/06 at 5:03 pm

Max it was always like that. Remember that the civil war started not because of slavery. Because Lincoin said he would free them and change some laws about the states rights.  Remember that Lincoin could not have freed them without  congress and the senate, then the states ratifying a new amendment to the Constitution. Because in the original draft Jefferson's had to put the clause back in for the states to keep slaves or the Carolinas would not have supported it.

and next week on freeridemt's "miss-the-point-entirely theatre"....
::)

A different perspective:

I WANT TO HURT SOMEBODY
by Greg Palast
Thursday, November 2, 2006 for The Guardian (London)

It was pure war-nography. The front page of the New York Times today splashed a four-column-wide close-up of a blood-covered bullet in the blood-soaked hands of an army medic who'd retrieved it from the brain of Lance Cpl. Colin Smith.

There was a 40 column-inch profile of the medic. There were photos of the platoon, guns over shoulders, praying for the fallen buddy. The Times is careful not to ruin the heroic mood, so there is no photograph of pieces of corporal Smith's shattered head. Instead, there's an old, smiling photo of the wounded soldier.

The reporter, undoubtedly wearing the Kevlar armor of the troop in which he's "embedded," quotes at length the thoughts of the military medic: "I would like to say that I am a good man. But seeing this now, what happened to Smith, I want to hurt people. You know what I mean?"

The reporter does not bother -- or dare -- to record a single word from any Iraqi in the town of Karma where Smith's platoon was, "performing a hard hit on a house."

I don't know what a "hard hit" is. But I don't think I'd want one "performed" on my home. Maybe Iraqis feel the way I do.

We won't know. The only Iraqi noted by the reporter was, "a woman walked calmly between the sniper and the marines."

The Times reporter informs us that Lance Cpl. Smith, "said a prayer today," before he charged into the village. We're told that Smith had, "the cutest little blond girlfriend" and "his dad was his hero." Did the calm woman also say her prayers today? Is her dad her hero, too? We don't know. No one asks.

The reporter and his photographer did visit a home in the neighborhood -- but only after the "hit" force kicked in the door. I suppose that's an improvement over the typical level of reporting we get. In dispatches home by the few US journalists who brave beyond the Green Zone, Iraqis are little more than dark shapes glimpsed through the slots of a speeding Humvee.

Last month there was a big hoo-ha over the statistical accuracy of a Johns Hopkins University study estimating that 655,000 Iraqis have died as a result of this war.

I doubt the Iraqi who fired that bullet into Lance Cpl. Smith read the Hopkins study. Iraqis don't need a professor of statistics to tell them what happens in a "hard hit" on a house. Of civilians killed by the US forces the Hopkins team found 46% are younger than fifteen years old.

I grieve for Lance Cpl. Smith and I can't know for certain what moved the sniper to pick up a gun and shoot him. However, I've no doubt that, like the Marines who said prayers before they invaded the homes of the terrified residents of Karma, the sniper also said a prayer before he loaded the 7.62mm shell into his carbine.

And if we asked, I'm sure the sniper would tell us, "I am a good man, but seeing what happened, I want to hurt people."

Greg Palast is the author of the New York Times bestseller, "Armed Madhouse" Go to

www.gregpalast.com.

Written By: esoxslayer on 11/14/06 at 9:31 pm

Here's an interesting article from todays news.

For all of you who agree with the "WHY" question..make sure you read the last paragraph of the link twice....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15703641/

Written By: Abix on 11/16/06 at 6:32 am

Here's an interesting article from todays news.

For all of you who agree with the "WHY" question..make sure you read the last paragraph of the link twice....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15703641/

My question "Why" is not why are they serving, My question is Why are we in IRAQ?  I am in no way mocking or diminishing the service of our troops. They are following orders and doing their job. My question is to the leaders of our country, (That would be Mr. G Dub) Why are we over there? WMD? Saddam's involvement with 9/11? To bring 'Democracy' to a country wrought with Civil War? To occupy a country and destroy cities that have a 50% unemployment rate? And promise to rebuild them but hmmm.. I guess we are still working on securing them... so we are a little slow at the rebuilding process.. Right....
I wonder how that soldier's mother feels about a second tour.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/16/06 at 10:53 am

Why are we over there? WMD? Saddam's involvement with 9/11?

WMDs have been found, but nobody ever talks about that anymore.

And Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11.  That was never claimed.  However, they have harbored terrorist groups for decades, and allowed Al-Queda to come into the country after 9/11.  Al-Zarquai went to Iraq for medical treatment after he was wounded in Afganistan.  Saddam and his regieme gave him and hundreds of other Al-Queda fighters sanctuary after they were thrown out of Afganistan.

There has never been a link to Saddam and 9/11.  However, he knowingly supported them after 9/11.  And he has been harboring and supporting terrorists for over 20 years.  Among them some of the most vile creatures to ever walk on 2 legs.  I still find it humorous that Abu Nidal died there after living as a guest in Baghdad for almost 2 years.  And he was really determined.  He not only blew up Pan Am flight 103, he commited suicide with multiple shots to the head.

Most people only have to shoot themselves once in the head to die.  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/16/06 at 5:42 pm

WMDs have been found, but nobody ever talks about that anymore.

And Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11.  That was never claimed.  However, they have harbored terrorist groups for decades, and allowed Al-Queda to come into the country after 9/11.  Al-Zarquai went to Iraq for medical treatment after he was wounded in Afganistan.  Saddam and his regieme gave him and hundreds of other Al-Queda fighters sanctuary after they were thrown out of Afganistan.

There has never been a link to Saddam and 9/11.  However, he knowingly supported them after 9/11.  And he has been harboring and supporting terrorists for over 20 years.  Among them some of the most vile creatures to ever walk on 2 legs.  I still find it humorous that Abu Nidal died there after living as a guest in Baghdad for almost 2 years.  And he was really determined.  He not only blew up Pan Am flight 103, he commited suicide with multiple shots to the head.

Most people only have to shoot themselves once in the head to die.   ::)

You can do multiple suicide head shots.  You just have to be real nimble aout it!
:P

Yeah, but Saddam was for years OUR most vile creature to ever walk on 2 legs!  We supported him in the Iran-Iraq war, when we weren't illegally selling weapons to the Iranians to illegally fund the Contras.  But then Saddam got outta line!  He invaded another country just so he could control their oil.  Now, we can't tolerate that sort of thing can we?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/brushteeth.gif

Written By: Abix on 11/16/06 at 5:59 pm

You can do multiple suicide head shots.  You just have to be real nimble aout it!
:P

Yeah, but Saddam was for years OUR most vile creature to ever walk on 2 legs!  We supported him in the Iran-Iraq war, when we weren't illegally selling weapons to the Iranians to illegally fund the Contras.  But then Saddam got outta line!  He invaded another country just so he could control their oil.  Now, we can't tolerate that sort of thing can we?

Yes, as Max is saying, people conveniently forget, or some may not even realize that we not only supported Bin Ladin, but we gave him weapons AND instructions, back in 1979 when Russia was invading Afghanistan.  . In Iraq, US policy, in the late 80's and 90's strengthened Saddam Hussein, suporting him through his worst atrocities, including gassing of the Kurds in 1988. People don't want to accept these facts and choose to believe that we are innocent victims and now we are  the 'good guys wearing white hats' coming to save the day.  By definition , WE are terrorists, to some other countries.

And G.W. used 9/11 to 'manufacture consent'. By linking 9.11 Saddam Hussein/ Bin Ladin and the Taliban all together back in his re election campaign.. He DID interchangeably use Saddam Hussein's name, with Bin Ladin's with the terms "homeland security" and "terrorist acts like 9/11".. There were commercials everywhere.... He sold Fear big time. He did some backpedalling later, saying that he never directly said that Saddam was linked to 9/11.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/16/06 at 6:24 pm

He invaded not one, but two countries.  Don't forget the 875,000 people that died in the Iran-Iraq war.  And the estimated 500,000 Kurds that were killed over a 20 year period (300,000 in 1988 alone).  Of course, the UN has a history of ignoring genocide.

There is an old saying: Politics makes for strange bedfellows.  The Molotov-VonRibbentrop particion of Poland is just an example of that.  Yet the "Intelectual Leftists" had no problem with that.  Even when shown the fact of Soviet atrocities in Poland, they refused to believe them.  Yet there was the Soviet Union, our "bosom buddy" wuring WWII, because most people accepted the fact that we were facing a much worse enemy in Hitler.  Even when evidence came out proving the slaughter of children by Soviet forces, it was swept under the rug.

That is politics.  In politics, you frequently give aid to both sides.  And we were not the only ones, don't forget.  The US was really a very minor arms provider in the Iran-Iraq war.  The company that made the vast majority of the money there was the Soviet Union.  While we sold a few million dollars of equipment, they sold tens of billions of dollars worth to both sides.

And in a war like the Iran-Iraq war, most people hoped that the war would eventually end with no major change in power.  If either Iran or Iraq had truely dominated, then things would be an even bigger mess there then they are now.  Myself, I think the fact that the war ended in a stalemate was the best resolution possible.

Of course, it would have been best if Sadam had stayed at home in the first place.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/16/06 at 6:40 pm

He invaded not one, but two countries.  Don't forget the 875,000 people that died in the Iran-Iraq war.  And the estimated 500,000 Kurds that were killed over a 20 year period (300,000 in 1988 alone).  Of course, the UN has a history of ignoring genocide.

There is an old saying: Politics makes for strange bedfellows.  The Molotov-VonRibbentrop particion of Poland is just an example of that.  Yet the "Intelectual Leftists" had no problem with that.  Even when shown the fact of Soviet atrocities in Poland, they refused to believe them.  Yet there was the Soviet Union, our "bosom buddy" wuring WWII, because most people accepted the fact that we were facing a much worse enemy in Hitler.  Even when evidence came out proving the slaughter of children by Soviet forces, it was swept under the rug.

That is politics.  In politics, you frequently give aid to both sides.  And we were not the only ones, don't forget.  The US was really a very minor arms provider in the Iran-Iraq war.  The company that made the vast majority of the money there was the Soviet Union.  While we sold a few million dollars of equipment, they sold tens of billions of dollars worth to both sides.

You got that right!  At least we ain't as bad as the Soviet Union (but give the Bushies credit for at least trying).
:-\\

And in a war like the Iran-Iraq war, most people hoped that the war would eventually end with no major change in power.  If either Iran or Iraq had truely dominated, then things would be an even bigger mess there then they are now.  Myself, I think the fact that the war ended in a stalemate was the best resolution possible.

Of course, it would have been best if Sadam had stayed at home in the first place.

I agree again.  All kinds of trouble...big and small...would have never come about if folks would just stay on their side of the fence and mind their own dang business!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pfiade.gif

Written By: Mushroom on 11/17/06 at 10:05 am

I agree again.  All kinds of trouble...big and small...would have never come about if folks would just stay on their side of the fence and mind their own dang business!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pfiade.gif

That is one of the strangest things about history.  A lot of people we remember as villians would be heroes if they had made different decisions.

If Hitler had actually stopped before he entered Poland and not done the Holocost, he would be remembered as a great leader.  He brought a desperate nation out of chaos and poverty, and regained their "traditional lands".  If he had stopped there, he would still be talked about as a great man.  Instead, he decided he wanted to rule most of the world, and slaughtered millions of people for petty reasons of race and religion.

The same with Stalin.  If he had simply followed the policies started with Lenin, the Soviet Union would likely have not become the "Evil Empire".  And the same with Napolean, who was insturmental with stopping a lot of the bloody excess of the French Revolution.  If he had contented himself with staying in Paris, he would never have had to live the last of his life in exile.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/17/06 at 8:50 pm

That is one of the strangest things about history.  A lot of people we remember as villians would be heroes if they had made different decisions.

If Hitler had actually stopped before he entered Poland and not done the Holocost, he would be remembered as a great leader.  He brought a desperate nation out of chaos and poverty, and regained their "traditional lands".  If he had stopped there, he would still be talked about as a great man.  Instead, he decided he wanted to rule most of the world, and slaughtered millions of people for petty reasons of race and religion.

The same with Stalin.  If he had simply followed the policies started with Lenin, the Soviet Union would likely have not become the "Evil Empire".  And the same with Napolean, who was insturmental with stopping a lot of the bloody excess of the French Revolution.  If he had contented himself with staying in Paris, he would never have had to live the last of his life in exile.

Sometimes it seems those who seek power the most are qualifed to hold it the least!  If Hitler and Stalin had been nice guys, they would have spared humanity unparalleled suffering.  But then they wouldn't have been Hitler and Stalin either.  It's a paradox.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...