» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Breakdown of the number of hate groups by state

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/03/06 at 7:49 am

http://tolerance.org/maps/hate/index.html

Subject: Re: Breakdown of the number of hate groups by state

Written By: Jessica on 11/03/06 at 9:47 am

My God.

I was looking through California's and I'm almost amused to see that in Soledad, there is a KKK order. Soledad is like 95% Mexican. Mean Mexicans.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/03/06 at 11:45 am

My God.

I was looking through California's and I'm almost amused to see that in Soledad, there is a KKK order. Soledad is like 95% Mexican. Mean Mexicans.

unfortunately it doesn't state how many members in each group exist.  Could be one lone nut with a printing press

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/03/06 at 12:24 pm

Very sad. I noticed that 5 states don't have any (Vermont being one of them). Unfortunately, hate begats hate.  :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/06 at 12:26 pm

My God.

So,  every week all the white boys get together at the VFW to play poker.  One night some guy comes in and has them put on some funny hats, takes their picture, and sends it to Tolerance.org, and you got yourself a KKK order in Soledad!
:D

unfortunately it doesn't state how many members in each group exist.  Could be one lone nut with a printing press

Yeah, some of them may be pretty frickin' tiny!
I notice in Massachusetts we've got a handful of neo-nazi grups, the JDL (who are promptly going to call Tolerance.org a "hate group), a Klan chapter in Boston (prolly a couple of 72-year-old dudes, a phone, a fax machine, and a case of PBR), and three Nation of Islam chapters.  There's Nation of Islam in Dorchester and Springfield, where there are big markets for it.  Looks like a Nation of Islam chapter is starred for the Lowell/Lawrence area, but it's not listed.   

"White Revolution" in Haverhill is probably skinheads.  "Creativity Movement" in Peabody might be a little weirder.  Possibly a Church of the Creator knock-off. 

I'd never heard of "Volksfront" either.  They've got a website, "Volksfront: Defending the interests of the White Working Class since 1994"  Oh boy!  I ain't linking to it, sorry.  You wanna see it, google it yourself!
How do you get to the Volksfront meeting?  Volkswagen!
::)

Written By: Mushroom on 11/03/06 at 12:31 pm

This does not really surprise me much.

I have lived in Idaho, California, and now Alabama.  And out of all those states, the hate groups in California were much more visible and vocal.  And looking at their listings, I notice that a lot of the Mexican Seperatist groups are missing.  I am sure if they were thrown in (only 1 is listed), the number would soar quite a bit higher.  And even higher yet if the gangs were counted (CRIPS, Nazi Lowriders, etc).

In fact, California has over twice the number of groups that we have here in Alabama.  And half of those listed ar the Council of Conservative Citizens.  Now while I consider them a bunch of extremist nuts, I would not go as far as calling them a "Hate Group".  While very conservative politically, I have never heard of them advocating any form of violence or discrimination.  That is probably why they are listed as "Other", a group that may have potential, or they feel needs to be watched.

And for all the blame that Idaho seems to get, with only 1 exception, all of the "Hate Groups" listed are centered around the Northern Idaho area of Hayden Lake.  The vast majority of the members of this group are not native to Idaho, but instead moved up there from other areas (like California).

And I notice that there are several groups missing that should probably be there.  I see no mention of the CRIPS, The MOVE, Nazi Lowriders, MEChA, or a lot of other groups.  It makes me curious to know what their criteria for listing is.  Having lived in LA, I have seen a lot of gang wars that were racially motivated.  But I do not see one gang listed.

But ChuckyG, by looking at the groups listed, they are all rather large groups and known nationally.  Black Panthers, Nazi, Christian Identity, even Nation of Islam and Jewish Anti-defamation League.  However, I am puzzled at the omission of MEChA.  If all those chapters were added in, California would probably move up to having over 65 groups.  Add in the racially motivated gangs (not all gangs are racial - but a majority are), and it would probably swell into the hundreds.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/03/06 at 12:39 pm

My God.

This is why I somewhat question this.  If anything, it is under-reporting the actual numbers, especially in states like California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas.

MEChA is a very vocal and outspoken group that is spread all over the SW US.  It is a Mexican Sepratist group, that advocates overthrowing the Government in those states (by vote or force), and returning them to Mexico.  They then want all non-Mexicans evicted, returning it to a "Pure Mexican State".  And there are chapters all over California, including Berkley, San Diego, Los Angeles, and Sacramento.

I also see only 1 listing for the "Christian Identity" movement listed.  This is a big problem, especially in the Palmdale-Lancaster area of California.  Both Robert Mathews and Buford Furrow got involved in White Supremacy while living in Palmdale-Lancaster.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/03/06 at 12:46 pm

In fact, California has over twice the number of groups that we have here in Alabama.  And half of those listed ar the Council of Conservative Citizens.  Now while I consider them a bunch of extremist nuts, I would not go as far as calling them a "Hate Group".  While very conservative politically, I have never heard of them advocating any form of violence or discrimination.  That is probably why they are listed as "Other", a group that may have potential, or they feel needs to be watched.

I thought the same thing when I saw the Fundmentalist Mormons listed as one of Utah's hate groups.  They are certainly a bunch of whackos, but I've never heard of them advocating violence or hatred.  That being said, I can certainly agree with keeping an eye on them. 

I was surprised to see that Ohio has 34, New Jersey 25, and Pensylvania 27.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/03/06 at 12:56 pm

jeez...right in my old hometown there is a group called, "Keystone State Skinheads"...I was not aware of this.

Written By: freeridemt on 11/03/06 at 12:59 pm

U forgot one. But I am not sure you would count them as a hate group. The HA's.(For those that don't know Hell's Angels).  They have one of the largest groups  in the world. With chapters opening up even in Russia now. The numbers can reflect, they say they have over 25 million members world wide. The numbers say sometime in the near future they will break 35 mill. Now that is a large group. And as for Vermont there may be no listing, but I know a couple of KKK members over there got into a brawl with them back in my younger days.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/06 at 1:02 pm

"Oh the Black folks hate the White folks, and the White folks hate the Black folks, all of my folks hate all of your folks, it's American as apple pie!"

--Tom Lehrer

Mush, perhaps you should start the ADL, the Alabama Defense League!
Now, the Council of Conservative Citizens may arguably not be a "hate group," but I wouldn't want to be a gay black vegan communist at one of their meetings!

The Nazi Lowriders?  WTF?  I'm can sort of hear that old War song set to a polka march and sung in a German accent!

Two factors seem to contribute to the number of listed "hate groups."  Total population and number of high density population areas.  Idaho got notorious for its panhandle white supremecists, but Idaho has a low population compared to California, Texas, or Ohio.

Tolerance.org seems to have some of its geography off the mark.  Of the two grouple listed in NH, they got the Klansman icon for Berlin about right.  However, they've listed "White Revolution" as located in Winchester, but the swastika is over Manchester.  Winchester is on the Massachusetts border in the west side of the state.  Maybe they got the two "chesters" mixed up.

Written By: freeridemt on 11/03/06 at 1:06 pm

I don't know Max, upper New England has always been a source of some hate groups.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/06 at 1:21 pm

U forgot one. But I am not sure you would count them as a hate group. The HA's.(For those that don't know Hell's Angels).  They have one of the largest groups  in the world. With chapters opening up even in Russia now. The numbers can reflect, they say they have over 25 million members world wide. The numbers say sometime in the near future they will break 35 mill. Now that is a large group. And as for Vermont there may be no listing, but I know a couple of KKK members over there got into a brawl with them back in my younger days.

Mildred: What're you rebelling against, Johnny?
Johnny: Whaddya got?
--The Wild One

That's the problem with listing the Hell's Angels as a "hate group."  The Hell's Angels are more of a crime syndicate.  They wouldn't get listed for the same reason as the Mafia wouldn't get listed.  Hell's Angels chapters vary.  Some of them are the savage thugs of pop culture lore.   Other chapters are little more than weekend riders.  We had one Hell's Angels chapter in NH who out raising money for themselves.  How?
Selling crank?  Nope.
Selling stolen motorcycle parts? Nope.
Prostitution? Nope.  Nothing like that.  How?
A bake sale!
;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/06 at 1:27 pm

I don't know Max, upper New England has always been a source of some hate groups.

Just because they're not listed doesn't mean they aren't there.  There might be a neo-nazi group in St. Johnsbury or a Klan chapter in Millinocket that Tolerance.org just doesn't know about it.  If you know something they don't, you can always report it to them!
The site lists them year to year.  In a state such as New Mexico or Vermont, there may be hate groups from years past now inactive or disbanded. 

Written By: Mushroom on 11/03/06 at 2:30 pm

U forgot one. But I am not sure you would count them as a hate group. The HA's.(For those that don't know Hell's Angels).  

The Hells Angels is really not a hate group.  They accept all members, reguardless of race, religion, or anything else.  However, some chapters may (and do) discriminate.  But the HA itself does not.  In fact, most of the problems are not with Hells Angeles anymore, as much as with other "Outlaw Biker" groups.

"Oh the Black folks hate the White folks, and the White folks hate the Black folks, all of my folks hate all of your folks, it's American as apple pie!"

--Tom Lehrer

Mush, perhaps you should start the ADL, the Alabama Defense League!
Now, the Council of Conservative Citizens may arguably not be a "hate group," but I wouldn't want to be a gay black vegan communist at one of their meetings!

The Nazi Lowriders?  WTF?  I'm can sort of hear that old War song set to a polka march and sung in a German accent!

Nazi Lowriders is a skinhead gang.  Originally started in the 1970's in the Palmdale-Lancaster area, they have since spread throughout the state (and the country).  They are basically the "Youth Auxilliary" of the Aryian Brotherhood.  But some members do not move up as they age, staying in the Skinheads even after they reach adulthood.  This is because of the ease of recruiting, and the fact that the law does not concentrate on them as much as their "Big Brothers".

Here is a rather informative article about them.  However, I guess I should put in the disclosure that it is hosted by the ADL, a group that the original article posted by ChuckyG listed as a "Hate Group" itself.

http://www.adl.org/learn/ext_us/nlr.asp?LEARN_Cat=Extremism&LEARN_SubCat=Extremism_in_America&xpicked=3&item=nlr

Written By: Brian06 on 11/03/06 at 2:53 pm

I had no idea we have a KKK chapter right around Cleveland, not to mention a number all over the state. Quite disgusting that the Klan is still this large.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/03/06 at 3:28 pm

I had no idea we have a KKK chapter right around Cleveland, not to mention a number all over the state. Quite disgusting that the Klan is still this large.

You should not be surprised.  There are signs of groups like this all over, if you simply know how to look.  And the Klukkers have had a strong presence in the Midwest and East Coast states (North and South) for over a century.  In fact, one of the strongest Klans in US History was based in Indiana.  They were also very active in New York, where in 1924 they attempted swing the Democratic noimnation for President away from Al Smtih (who was Catholic) in favor of William McAdoo.  They failed in this, but did manage to prevent a key plank of the Democratic Platform, which would have condemned the Klan.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/03/06 at 4:28 pm

This is why I somewhat question this.  If anything, it is under-reporting the actual numbers, especially in states like California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas.

MEChA is a very vocal and outspoken group that is spread all over the SW US.  It is a Mexican Sepratist group, that advocates overthrowing the Government in those states (by vote or force), and returning them to Mexico.  They then want all non-Mexicans evicted, returning it to a "Pure Mexican State".  And there are chapters all over California, including Berkley, San Diego, Los Angeles, and Sacramento.

I also see only 1 listing for the "Christian Identity" movement listed.  This is a big problem, especially in the Palmdale-Lancaster area of California.  Both Robert Mathews and Buford Furrow got involved in White Supremacy while living in Palmdale-Lancaster.

I hear you on this one, Mushroom. L.A.'s mayor is connected with the same group.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/06 at 5:20 pm

I'm no MEChA fan.  I can only say that when you invade another country and annex half of it to your own, the invaded people don't forget it, not even 150 years later.
MEChA right or wrong, that's the way it goes.

Written By: freeridemt on 11/03/06 at 5:26 pm

The Hells Angels is really not a hate group.  They accept all members, reguardless of race, religion, or anything else.  However, some chapters may (and do) discriminate.  But the HA itself does not.  In fact, most of the problems are not with Hells Angeles anymore, as much as with other "Outlaw Biker" groups.

Nazi Lowriders is a skinhead gang.  Originally started in the 1970's in the Palmdale-Lancaster area, they have since spread throughout the state (and the country).  They are basically the "Youth Auxilliary" of the Aryian Brotherhood.  But some members do not move up as they age, staying in the Skinheads even after they reach adulthood.  This is because of the ease of recruiting, and the fact that the law does not concentrate on them as much as their "Big Brothers".

Here is a rather informative article about them.  However, I guess I should put in the disclosure that it is hosted by the ADL, a group that the original article posted by ChuckyG listed as a "Hate Group" itself.

http://www.adl.org/learn/ext_us/nlr.asp?LEARN_Cat=Extremism&LEARN_SubCat=Extremism_in_America&xpicked=3&item=nlr

BS Mushroom Since my late brother who was a member since what is known as the good ole days.  Joined back in 1972 he was what is known as a 1 percenter. My brother in law who is still a member of the SD CA chapter. Who makes his living running guns. Making Meth. And many other ways . so do not go into the Bs propaganda.  
Since I got my prospect patch in 86 walked away for good in 89. I have been involved one way or another with them. Even today I still get a lot a mail from friends who where friends of my brother or brother in law.  One other thing to remember since 1975 they have gone through several wars with other gangs including the Mongals out of SD the Devils disciples out of New England and the Outlaws from down south.  In all cases the other gangs have been reduced or some have been wiped out.  
And to this day to be a 1 percenter in them means you have  killed someone. Also to be the 1 percenter of the Death symbol means you have killed a cop. So those are not things to be proud of but they are. The stuff that many do now such as the runs for the vets are good things. They are the largest donor to toys for tots in this country.  But still to this day over 20% of them are in prisons all over this country.
And as for being a racist in the start they where all racist.  So don't let the good deeds fool you. The real hard core and leaders are very bad people to cross.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/06 at 5:50 pm

BS Mushroom Since my late brother who was a member since what is known as the good ole days.  Joined back in 1972 he was what is known as a 1 percenter. My brother in law who is still a member of the SD CA chapter. Who makes his living running guns. Making Meth. And many other ways . so do not go into the Bs propaganda.  
Since I got my prospect patch in 86 walked away for good in 89. I have been involved one way or another with them. Even today I still get a lot a mail from friends who where friends of my brother or brother in law.  One other thing to remember since 1975 they have gone through several wars with other gangs including the Mongals out of SD the Devils disciples out of New England and the Outlaws from down south.  In all cases the other gangs have been reduced or some have been wiped out.  
And to this day to be a 1 percenter in them means you have  killed someone. Also to be the 1 percenter of the Death symbol means you have killed a cop. So those are not things to be proud of but they are. The stuff that many do now such as the runs for the vets are good things. They are the largest donor to toys for tots in this country.  But still to this day over 20% of them are in prisons all over this country.
And as for being a racist in the start they where all racist.  So don't let the good deeds fool you. The real hard core and leaders are very bad people to cross.

I'm no Hell's Angels expert, but I never noticed a significant Black, Latino, or Jewish contingent in the H.A. 
I don't agree with freeridemt on some stuff, but he makes a good point here.  Very violent and terrible organizations can perform acts of beneficence for PR, or even out of genuine good will, but it doesn't outweigh the horrors they perpetuate.  Hamas kills people with explosives.  Hamas is also a charitable organization that feeds the hungry, treats the sick, and funds education for children.  That's no comfort to you if your limbs and innards are blown six ways from Sunday.  If Hell's Angels kicked the crap out of you and raped your girlfriend, "Toys for Tots" ain't gonna impress you, even thirty years later!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/03/06 at 5:53 pm

Pennsylvania's numbers aren't surprising. It's common knowledge that, unless you live in Philly or Pittsburgh, you have no choice but to join something as despicable as these groups because there isn't anything else to do anywhere else.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/06 at 6:10 pm

Pennsylvania's numbers aren't surprising. It's common knowledge that, unless you live in Philly or Pittsburgh, you have no choice but to join something as despicable as these groups because there isn't anything else to do anywhere else.

"There's a Klan rally at Valley Forge.  Charlotte's family is going.  It's disgusting!"  Something I overheard my girlfriend's friends talking about when I was visiting her at her hometown of Pottstown, PA, back in the summer of '88.  It was only significant for me because I never so much as knew anybody who knew anybody who would have anything to do with the KKK. 

It's not just PA.  A lot of the country is in an idled state of depression.  This has gotten far worse in the past 20 years.  In Philly and Pittsburgh, you've also got your urban decay, a result of the racist policies of the U.S. government during so-called "Urban Renewal," and hence nervous racial tensions with the Nation of Islam and so forth.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/03/06 at 8:24 pm

"There's a Klan rally at Valley Forge.  Charlotte's family is going.  It's disgusting!"  Something I overheard my girlfriend's friends talking about when I was visiting her at her hometown of Pottstown, PA, back in the summer of '88.  It was only significant for me because I never so much as knew anybody who knew anybody who would have anything to do with the KKK. 

It's not just PA.  A lot of the country is in an idled state of depression.  This has gotten far worse in the past 20 years.  In Philly and Pittsburgh, you've also got your urban decay, a result of the racist policies of the U.S. government during so-called "Urban Renewal," and hence nervous racial tensions with the Nation of Islam and so forth.

Be mindful that I'm from Philly, so Max I pretty much know what is going on there!!! lol  ;D ;) To be quite honest, there's never been a major issue with the Nation of Islam in my hometown. They kept their peace as we did ours. In fact, my brother and my cousin are members.

Written By: freeridemt on 11/04/06 at 12:05 am

I'm no Hell's Angels expert, but I never noticed a significant Black, Latino, or Jewish contingent in the H.A. 
I don't agree with freeridemt on some stuff, but he makes a good point here.  Very violent and terrible organizations can perform acts of beneficence for PR, or even out of genuine good will, but it doesn't outweigh the horrors they perpetuate.  Hamas kills people with explosives.  Hamas is also a charitable organization that feeds the hungry, treats the sick, and funds education for children.  That's no comfort to you if your limbs and innards are blown six ways from Sunday.  If Hell's Angels kicked the crap out of you and raped your girlfriend, "Toys for Tots" ain't gonna impress you, even thirty years later!

Thanks Max  :)
But from trying to get my brother in law out of there has been a fight from the get go. Since he joined. From 1980 to now 18 years have been in prison..Thats not much of a life. But since he has gotten out again he has jumped parole and has gone to who's know where. This time was supposed to be different he had changed,  joined  some religious group just to get early release and no sooner then he had gotten out Some friends of his broke him out of the half-way house and boom they blew SD.  So go figure.
My brother was hard core trust me on that. No way to get him out. He was a 1 percenter all the way.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/04/06 at 2:16 am

Ah, let's see.  40 hate groups in Georgia and none in Alpharetta, although there is a KKK chapter in Ellijay, a town that we've driven to since it's up in the mountains and my dad likes the country. 

Guess we won't be going back there again.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/04/06 at 4:00 pm

Thanks Max  :)
But from trying to get my brother in law out of there has been a fight from the get go. Since he joined. From 1980 to now 18 years have been in prison..Thats not much of a life. But since he has gotten out again he has jumped parole and has gone to who's know where. This time was supposed to be different he had changed,  joined  some religious group just to get early release and no sooner then he had gotten out Some friends of his broke him out of the half-way house and boom they blew SD.  So go figure.
My brother was hard core trust me on that. No way to get him out. He was a 1 percenter all the way.

That's terrible.  I'm sorry to hear that.  As you know, when the law catches up with those guys, he'll wind up back behind bars.  It must be so frustrating to know that if he'd just kept his nose clean and did the time in the halfway house he could be free and clear.  What can I say?  The few career criminals I've known had to "prove" they didn't have to obey the law.  If they lived on the right side of the law, the "authorities" would win and they would lose!  Something like that.

Be mindful that I'm from Philly, so Max I pretty much know what is going on there!!! lol  ;D ;) To be quite honest, there's never been a major issue with the Nation of Islam in my hometown. They kept their peace as we did ours. In fact, my brother and my cousin are members.

I'm white and I've had skinheads threaten me because I wasn't a white supremicist.  I never had any run-ins with the Nation of Islam.  Despite what the right-wingers say, Black Muslims don't hassle you like suburban skinhead kids.  You leave them alone, they'll leave you alone.  I sure wouldn't want to be on their sh*tlist though.  They don't have a problem mixing it up.  The Black Muslims did manage to get the crack dealers out of neighborhoods where the cops had failed.  They'd give the dealer one warning and after that he'd wish the cops were there!  But the epidemic raged on.  I guess it was a case of too many crack dealers, not enough Black Muslims!

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/04/06 at 5:28 pm

Aren't the Bandidos a lot worse now?

Written By: freeridemt on 11/05/06 at 1:23 am

depends on your point of veiw. There are two types of Bandidos. One is a latino gang bike gang out of old Mexico. The other is a bike gang from the states and the view point on them is they are not to be played with unless you like to play really hard and since about 15% of them are visiting the nice Texas Hospitality  places with bars on the windows. 8)

Written By: Mushroom on 11/14/06 at 12:49 pm

Aren't the Bandidos a lot worse now?

There are thousands of different "Biker Gangs".  One of the worst gangs in SW Idaho in the 1970's and early 1980's was "Three Brother Speed".  I remember a lot of fights where they would get into it with various HA factions, and other biker gangs.  For the most part, the "1%" has mostly been removed from HA itself.  They are still associated with them though because of either "past affiliation", or because of the ignorant who simply assume that "All Bikers are Hells Angels".  Much like "All Palistinians are PLO" or "all movie stars are Liberal".

Out here, I know a lot of members of a national "Biker Gang".  The "Iron Pigs" is well known for driving everywhere they go armed.  And they have been known to clear places when they all pull up together.  However, most people do not realize that in order to belong to this "Gang", you have to be a member of Law Enforcement or a Firefighter.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/14/06 at 8:14 pm

There are thousands of different "Biker Gangs".  One of the worst gangs in SW Idaho in the 1970's and early 1980's was "Three Brother Speed".  I remember a lot of fights where they would get into it with various HA factions, and other biker gangs.  For the most part, the "1%" has mostly been removed from HA itself.  They are still associated with them though because of either "past affiliation", or because of the ignorant who simply assume that "All Bikers are Hells Angels".  Much like "All Palistinians are PLO" or "all movie stars are Liberal".

Out here, I know a lot of members of a national "Biker Gang".  The "Iron Pigs" is well known for driving everywhere they go armed.  And they have been known to clear places when they all pull up together.  However, most people do not realize that in order to belong to this "Gang", you have to be a member of Law Enforcement or a Firefighter.

I'd clear out of a place a lot faster if a dozen cop cars pulled up than if a dozen bikers pulled up!

I've never had a problem with bikers.  You leave them alone, they'll leave you alone.  One of the biggest biker rallies is up in Loudon, NH.  We used to see a lot bikers passing through in the summer.  More often than not, they're "weekend riders."  They hang up their gear on Sunday night, and on Monday morning, theyr'e accountants, teachers, and computer programmers!

I'm not saying scenes from "Mad Max" never play out in real life, but the fear that outlaw bikers are going to descend on your innocent life largely comes from Hollywood.  Now, if you buy drugs from "outlaw bikers" and start hanging out with them, then god help you!

Written By: Dagwood on 11/18/06 at 12:14 am

Why are they calling Fundementalist Latter Day Saints a hate group.  They are polygamists.  I don't see lumping them in with Neo Nazis and Skinheads. 

ETA:
I see Ash brought this up also.  Glad to see I am not alone in this.

Written By: velvetoneo on 11/19/06 at 1:31 am

Apparently, we have a huge problem Down Shore with Neo-Nazis and skinheads, in places like Toms' River, Maple Shade, Little Egg Harbor City, Brick, Hewitt, Old Bridge, Somers' Point, etc. I even read an article saying "South-Central New Jersey is a hotbed of skinhead activity." I'm not sure what caused this to be; it is a high density of bored, white, middle-class, isolated teens on the suburban outskirts without much else to do when the seasonal rush of tourists is over. The "White Power Liberation Front" and "National Socialist Movement", respectively a skinhead and a Neo-Nazi movement, are both headquartered in Livingston, a suburb of Newark that is over 50% Jewish, probably because of that fact. Wallington and Garfield, depressed industrial cities, have mostly Eastern-European working-class skinheads, and it's a pretty well-known fact. Trenton, Plainfield, and Newark have various "Black Separatist" groups, which isn't a surprise. Gibbsboro, way down in the fruit-growing areas of rural south Jersey, has a KKK group. It isn't a surprise; 2/3 of slaves in the north by the mid-19th century were in New Jersey, and the area still has a poor rural black population left over from then, uncommon in the north.

Check for new replies or respond here...