» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Massachusetts Elects African American Governor

Written By: danootaandme on 11/08/06 at 5:47 am

...a resounding win for Deval Patrick even though the campaign waged against him was as nasty with negative ads as the negative ads against Harold Ford Jr.  He even took South Boston, only people who live here can understand the import of that.  The thought of an African American winning the votes in South Boston is(was) akin to Ted Kennedy winning in South Carolina, in other words it was considered a never gonna happen. 

Subject: Re: Massachusetts Elects African American Governor

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 11/08/06 at 8:45 am

Wow that is surprising.  Massachusetts has always been something of an enigma, it's reputed as one of the havens for Democrats, but Boston also has this air of blue collar White Anglo bigots.  Those are terrible stereotypes I know, but that's what a lot of Boston projects.  They appear to be these solid FDR Democrats, but they seem like they really are not all that liberal and would enjoy the company of Bill O'Reilly over Paul Begala.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/08/06 at 10:42 am

Wow that is surprising.  Massachusetts has always been something of an enigma, it's reputed as one of the havens for Democrats, but Boston also has this air of blue collar White Anglo bigots.  Those are terrible stereotypes I know, but that's what a lot of Boston projects.  They appear to be these solid FDR Democrats, but they seem like they really are not all that liberal and would enjoy the company of Bill O'Reilly over Paul Begala.

It's really not surprising that Healey lost so badly, because even elected Republicans were publically supporting Deval over her.  She had little to no real political background, and was hand picked by our absentee governor of the past six years, Mitt Romney.  Had Mitt focused on doing his job instead of building his presidental bid, she might have stood more of a chance.  She was never going to get elected, no matter how many negative attack ads she ran (and she ran plenty).  Mitt set the Republicans back a decade in this state, it's really no wonder he didn't run for re-election.  Losing re-election would have made his presidental bid look really bad.

Massachusetts as a whole is way more diverse than the simple analysis the national pundits project on it. As for the racists in Mass., you're talking a very, VERY small minority at this point.  Most of the major cities aren't very white anymore (very large hispanic population now), and the rural areas tend to be more conservative.  My state rep ran as an unopposed Republican for instance.  That doesn't sound like something that would happen in Massachusetts if you think of it as some sort of liberal mecca like the RNC does.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/08/06 at 11:03 am

I'm not from Boston, but I still understand the impact of him taking South Boston. I am proud of him and wish him the very best.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/08/06 at 12:40 pm

The only thing I have to say about this is:

YAY!!!!!

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/08/06 at 2:47 pm

It's really not surprising that Healey lost so badly, because even elected Republicans were publically supporting Deval over her.  She had little to no real political background, and was hand picked by our absentee governor of the past six years, Mitt Romney.  Had Mitt focused on doing his job instead of building his presidental bid, she might have stood more of a chance.  She was never going to get elected, no matter how many negative attack ads she ran (and she ran plenty).  Mitt set the Republicans back a decade in this state, it's really no wonder he didn't run for re-election.  Losing re-election would have made his presidental bid look really bad.

Massachusetts as a whole is way more diverse than the simple analysis the national pundits project on it. As for the racists in Mass., you're talking a very, VERY small minority at this point.  Most of the major cities aren't very white anymore (very large hispanic population now), and the rural areas tend to be more conservative.  My state rep ran as an unopposed Republican for instance.  That doesn't sound like something that would happen in Massachusetts if you think of it as some sort of liberal mecca like the RNC does.

Back in 1990 Bill Weld won the governorship as a likable liberal Republican.  Nobody could stand John Silber.  I held my nose and voted for Silber anyway.  Paul Celluci beat Attorney General Scott Harshbarger on Weld's momentum, but abandoned the post to become ambassador to Canada.  Lieutenant governor Jane Swift became the acting governor.  She was unelectable by any measure.  Thus we had the Mitt Romney anomoly.  Romney won in 2002 because the Dems botched their primary race so badly.  They nominated Shannon O'Brien, the Democratic equivalent of Kerry Healey!  I held my nose and voted for her too!  If Robert Reich had gotten into the race early and the Dems had backed him as a unified force, Romney would have been sent packing for Utah just as he had been in his '94 senatorial bid.  With Deval Patrick, I see the governorship back where it belongs, in the hands of the Democrats.  I hope to see Massachusetts return to its roots as a progressive commonwealth.

I am proud to have voted for the second African-American governor in U.S. history, but the color of his skin is far less important than the realignment of the Massachusetts executive branch to its rightful place.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/08/06 at 4:36 pm

It was amazing to me that his race was such a non-issue.  I work in construction so I am next to some uber conservatives as well as some ultra birth to earth liberals, the uber conservatives surprised me, but then again I did talk to some who voted for Patrick on the theory(and this is what one actually said) "when in doubt, vote for the man".  One step up, two steps back.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/08/06 at 7:40 pm

It was amazing to me that his race was such a non-issue.  I work in construction so I am next to some uber conservatives as well as some ultra birth to earth liberals, the uber conservatives surprised me, but then again I did talk to some who voted for Patrick on the theory(and this is what one actually said) "when in doubt, vote for the man".  One step up, two steps back.

As long as they don't mean "the man" as in "the man"!
:o

I doubt Healey's problem with male voters was any different from her problem with female voters.  Healey came off as a mean-spirited bimbo, and ignorant to boot.  As I overheard one college sportscaster say, "Healey's not educated enough to work at f**kin' McDonald's!"

Written By: STAR70 on 11/09/06 at 5:43 pm

He even took South Boston, only people who live here can understand the import of that. 

He even took Southie. This more than makes up for Mitt Romney

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/06 at 5:58 pm

Healey might as well have selected Howie Carr as her running mate.  It looks like his fans were her constituents!

(for those unfamiliar, Howie Carr, aka. Fat Bastid, is the Boston Rush Limbaugh)
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...