» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Dutch officers in 'torture cover-up'

Written By: FaultyDog on 11/17/06 at 6:48 pm

I've always tried to steer clear of this board, but I think this time there's no escaping.

Apparently, the Dutch military intelligence has been involved in what could turn out to be torture of Iraqi prisoners in 2003. Not all the facts are known at this stage, but I'm feeling ashamed and misled already.

There's an article in The Australian today on the matter. Don't know about any US media.

Subject: Re: Dutch officers in 'torture cover-up'

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/17/06 at 7:26 pm

Well, the Dutch officials shouldn't act so surprise.  That's what happens when you get back into the imperialist occupation game.  They ought to reference their own history!
::)

Remains to be seen whether the U.S. scapegoats the Dutch officers, or takes them under our wing of unaccountability.  The latter would be a better move.  Let's just try to quiet this down.

Written By: Tia on 11/17/06 at 7:30 pm

the dutch made the news today also for outlawing the wearing of burqas in public today too.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/17/06 at 8:41 pm

the dutch made the news today also for outlawing the wearing of burqas in public today too.

There's that district in Amsterdam where you can smoke hashish and solicit prostitutes scot free.  But no burqa-wearing!  That could cause a public nuisance!
:-\\

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/17/06 at 11:34 pm

Well, it would seem a bomber would have an easier time hiding explosives underneath a burqa.

Written By: FaultyDog on 11/18/06 at 2:03 am

Well, the Dutch officials shouldn't act so surprise.  That's what happens when you get back into the imperialist occupation game.  They ought to reference their own history!
::)

Of course we (ie the Dutch in general) shouldn't be surprised something like this has happened. We're no different from any other country when it comes to warfare. But it still is shocking to be confronted with the facts, especially the cover-up of the events.

Remains to be seen whether the U.S. scapegoats the Dutch officers, or takes them under our wing of unaccountability.  The latter would be a better move.  Let's just try to quiet this down.

Too late for that. There's already going to be a debate in our Second Chamber coming Monday, and a full scale inquiry is announced.
As I understand it, the alleged torturing would have taken place during the first four days of imprisonment, while the Iraqi were still in Dutch hands. We will have to take full responsibility, I'm afraid.

Apart from that, we've got elections coming up (November 22), so this is a great subject to distract voters.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/18/06 at 6:45 pm

Of course we (ie the Dutch in general) shouldn't be surprised something like this has happened. We're no different from any other country when it comes to warfare. But it still is shocking to be confronted with the facts, especially the cover-up of the events.

Too late for that. There's already going to be a debate in our Second Chamber coming Monday, and a full scale inquiry is announced.
As I understand it, the alleged torturing would have taken place during the first four days of imprisonment, while the Iraqi were still in Dutch hands. We will have to take full responsibility, I'm afraid.

Apart from that, we've got elections coming up (November 22), so this is a great subject to distract voters.

If the Dutch want to be as cool as the U.S., your legislature just has to follow our lead and declare the Netherlands is out of the jurisdiction of any international court, and nothing the Dutch do in Iraq may be prosecuted in either an Iraqi or a Dutch court.  Just cozy up to Cheney, and say, "Hey, we're your new rendering pals!"  Holland will then be untouchable!

Written By: FaultyDog on 11/19/06 at 2:20 am

If the Dutch want to be as cool as the U.S., your legislature just has to follow our lead and declare the Netherlands is out of the jurisdiction of any international court, and nothing the Dutch do in Iraq may be prosecuted in either an Iraqi or a Dutch court.  Just cozy up to Cheney, and say, "Hey, we're your new rendering pals!"  Holland will then be untouchable!

Let's await the outcome of the inquiry first. Of course, this will take a few months...by then people might will have forgotten all about it. And I have a feeling the inquiry committee might just conclude that there was no torture at all (how convenient for those who were in the know!). ::) So all in all, my guess is it will turn out to be a storm in a teacup.

Check for new replies or respond here...