» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Make money fair for the blind!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/28/06 at 8:39 pm

Well, I guess he has a point

In response, the Treasury Department will issue new notes that blind citizens can distinguish more easily:

$1 bills will stay the same, because $1 bills suck.

$5 bills will now have the feel of alpaca fur and be shaped like ancient Chinese compass spoons.

$10 bills will have the texture of peanut butter and be shaped like the bullet that killed Alexander Hamilton.

$20 bills will feel like 5 o'clock shadow and be shaped like Andrew Jackson's fro.

$50 bills will feel like chewing tobacco and be shaped like Tom Hanks' mullet from "The Da Vinci Code".

$100 bills will feel like chrome and be shaped like ninja stars, as a method of promoting self-defense amongst citizens who are getting mugged.

Just in case nobody got it, I was kidding.  But the article is real.

Subject: Re: Make money fair for the blind!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/28/06 at 8:44 pm

I think that sounds reasonable...

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 11/29/06 at 9:57 am

Maybe I've just never noticed, but as far as I can tell, paper money has ALWAYS been about the same AFA look/feel/etc ???

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/29/06 at 10:30 am

Part of the "issue" is that by making money different in size and feel, it opens the door for more counterfeiting, which is kind of a copout, but whatever.

The issue IS that the money is the same feel and size, which is what the blind folks were complaining about.  It's a legitimate complaint and I'm curious to see what they will do about it to change the $$.

I would like to see the ninja star $100 though :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/29/06 at 10:33 am

I wonder how hard it would be to add braille to money.  I would think that it would also make it more difficult to counterfeit.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/29/06 at 10:38 am

It would be hard to add the embossment and keep it stable if you want to make it bendable as well so the money could still go into wallets.  I suppose they could start making money out of plastic...or make a law that allowed blind folks to use a special "credit card" at cash only places.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/29/06 at 11:29 am

Actually, I see this as yet another "non-issue".

For thousands of years, blind people have been adapting to their disability.  My late fiancee's aunt was blind, and she had absolutely no problem handling currency.  She had a slecial wallet, with multiple sections, one for each denomination of currency.  And she normally carried $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, and higher bills and never had a problem.  She would simply pull out the currency that was needed, and if change was given she insisted that she only be given $1 bills.

And there are actually some people that can tell the denomination of most currency by feeling where the "ridges" on it are.  I remember an article back in the 1990's when the new bills started to come out.  It was about how some blind people were protesting, because they were unable to tell which of the new bills was which.

Myself, I would rather see a solution closer to what Japan and other countries do:  eliminate the lower demonination bills, and use coins.

In Japan, the coins range from 1 Yen (almost never seen, it is small and made of aluminum) up to 500 Yen (around $5).  The various coins are easy to tell apart, both because of size, and the fact that some denominations (5 yen, 50 yen) have holes drilled in the center of them.

Before going to a new form of currency, I would rather see the lower denominations phased out, and replaced with coins.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/29/06 at 12:02 pm

Many, many years ago, I met a man from Australia who told me that he wished that U.S. would have different sizes for our bills so he can tell what they are when he reaches into his pocket. I never thought about the issue before that-I was just so used to our bills all being the same size. Over the years, I have dealt with many people in the blind and visually impaired world and the consensus is that they do wish the bills were different sizes.

BTW, I used to belong to the American Council of the Blind. (The article had the name wrong-it should be "OF the Blind" not "FOR the Blind"-the difference is that the council is made up mostly of visually impaired people doing stuff to improve their own world-not other people acting on their behalf.)

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 11/29/06 at 12:44 pm

In England the bills are different sizes. A

Written By: Mushroom on 11/29/06 at 12:52 pm

In England the bills are different sizes. A

Written By: La Roche on 11/29/06 at 12:56 pm

Just hope that they never get as big as the "Pound Note" that Adam Ant had in his "Goody Two Shoes" video.  ;D

;D Right!

I think Pound notes were huge.. they've been pretty much non-existent for quite some time, but I know to carry one you'd have to fold it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/29/06 at 1:18 pm

I have some old czarist Russian notes. Some of them are HUGH!! One is 11 inches x 5 inches.  :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 11/29/06 at 2:13 pm

I pulled out some $$ I have from other countries......different denominations are the same size (at least, were) in Italy, Japan, Bahamas.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/29/06 at 5:55 pm

I always liked the idea of the dollar coin.  It got harder to market the dollar coin to Americans since the Susan B. Anthony dollar became a national joke. 

If Susan B. Anthony,
who do Anthony be?

I'm just glad to see the treasury adding a little color to our bills.  Canadian bills were always much more fun!

Written By: spaceace on 11/29/06 at 6:40 pm

What about the gold dollar with Lewis and Clarks guide on it?  That one didn't go over too well.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/29/06 at 7:15 pm

Actually, the U.S. Mint is coming out with new dollar coins that will feature the presidents-starting with George Washington (of course). It will be very similar to the State Quarter series. There will be so many different ones coming out a year and a limited minting of each one. They are hoping that this will catch on like the State Quarters did.

Personally, I perfer the old Morgan Dollars to any of the new ones that have come out in last 100 years (but the Peace Dollars comes in second).

Cat

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 11/30/06 at 7:39 am

Let's not forget the Sacagawea dollars....Santa brought my kids each $5 in them a few years ago.

Written By: conker on 11/30/06 at 9:37 am

Why is this such an issue.  In Canada we've had our bills with raised braille dots, 1 larger number on the front and a bar code on the back that can be read with a small reader about the size of a money clip for at least 10 years now.
I'm sure some or all of these can be built into the next revision of the US currency.
I've seen instances where people try to take advantage of the blind or even those who have bad eyesight so why shouldn't some provisions be made.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/30/06 at 11:13 am

Why is this such an issue.  In Canada we've had our bills with raised braille dots, 1 larger number on the front and a bar code on the back that can be read with a small reader about the size of a money clip for at least 10 years now.
I'm sure some or all of these can be built into the next revision of the US currency.
I've seen instances where people try to take advantage of the blind or even those who have bad eyesight so why shouldn't some provisions be made.

That's kind of what I was envisioning.  I can't imagine it being that difficult to add braille.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/30/06 at 6:22 pm

I dunno, Conker, it's like hard for us to do stuff down here! 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rudolf.gif

You can go to the bank and ask for Susan B. Anthony dollars...but who wants to!
(or you can get the Jimmy Carter special, the $2 dollar bill!)
::)

Written By: Red Ant on 11/30/06 at 6:46 pm

Part of the "issue" is that by making money different in size and feel, it opens the door for more counterfeiting, which is kind of a copout, but whatever.

The issue IS that the money is the same feel and size, which is what the blind folks were complaining about.  It's a legitimate complaint and I'm curious to see what they will do about it to change the $$.

I would like to see the ninja star $100 though :D

From what I understand, one of the reasons why US Bills were, in the past, were so easy to counterfeit is because all the bills are the same size, used the same color inks, on the same exact paper. While, in recent years, many counterfeiting countermeasures have been incorporated in to US bills, size difference has not been one of them.

About dollar coins, specifcally the Susan B Anthony: they were discontinued after a very short run (2 years IIRC, 1981 were collector-only pieces) because the public hated them. The design was uninspired, and more importantly they resembled quarters too closely. I don't see the US ever making 1 or 5$ coins as "standard" (i.e., not collector pieces) currency that the public will like.

Same story with the Sacagawea dollar coin: they have been minted since 2000, but only 2000 and 2001 examples are circulated; all coins after 2001 are collector pieces.

Written By: La Roche on 11/30/06 at 6:47 pm

About dollar coins, specifcally the Susan B Anthony: they were discontinued after a very short run (2 years IIRC, 1981 were collector-only pieces) because the public hated them. The design was uninspired, and more importantly they resembled quarters too closely. I don't see the US ever making 1 or 5$ coins as "standard" (i.e., not collector pieces) currency that the public will like.

What I don't understand is why they don't follow the european model. Hell, have a $1 coin a similar size to a quater, but make it much thicker. A pound coin, A euro coin etc are a similar size to their smaller denomination 'brothers' but they're much thicker and a different color, obviously different.

Written By: Red Ant on 11/30/06 at 7:07 pm

What I don't understand is why they don't follow the european model. Hell, have a $1 coin a similar size to a quater, but make it much thicker. A pound coin, A euro coin etc are a similar size to their smaller denomination 'brothers' but they're much thicker and a different color, obviously different.

That would solve the "looks too much like a quarter problem", but I think another tendency we have is to think of coins differently from bills. Unless (or, until ) all vending machines and what not can take and recognize dollar coins, they will never get off the ground or replace 1$ paper currency.

In the last 10 years, I've probably seen more of the 1970s 2$ bills used than 50 cent pieces or dollar coins.

If anything should get the axe, it's pennies. In 1982 the mint changed from a mostly copper alloy to zinc because the metal in the coins was fastly approaching a level where it would be worth more than face value. The mints today actually lose money making pennies, even with their now 95% zinc content. Only in America could you have a license to make as much money as you want and still wind up in the red on certain denominations.

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/30/06 at 7:21 pm

That would solve the "looks too much like a quarter problem", but I think another tendency we have is to think of coins differently from bills. Unless (or, until ) all vending machines and what not can take and recognize dollar coins, they will never get off the ground or replace 1$ paper currency.

In the last 10 years, I've probably seen more of the 1970s 2$ bills used than 50 cent pieces or dollar coins.

If anything should get the axe, it's pennies. In 1982 the mint changed from a mostly copper alloy to zinc because the metal in the coins was fastly approaching a level where it would be worth more than face value. The mints today actually lose money making pennies, even with their now 95% zinc content. Only in America could you have a license to make as much money as you want and still wind up in the red on certain denominations.

But what about exact change? ??? ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/30/06 at 7:22 pm

It's funny, in the dollar coin debate, the vending machine lobby was all for it, but they didn't want coins so think or heavy they'd have to recalibrate the machines.

The exotic dancers interest groups were against the dollar coin because, you know...you do know?  I'm not the only one who knows here, am I?
:-\\

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/30/06 at 7:28 pm

It's funny, in the dollar coin debate, the vending machine lobby was all for it, but they didn't want coins so think or heavy they'd have to recalibrate the machines.

The exotic dancers interest groups were against the dollar coin because, you know...you do know?  I'm not the only one who knows here, am I?
:-\\

No, you're not. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/01/06 at 12:23 pm

I have to ask. Are you a numanistic? 

Cat

Written By: Red Ant on 12/01/06 at 7:05 pm

Cat

I think numismatist was the word you were shooting for. Either way, the answer is no; I used to collect coins, but I also learned much of their histories while doing so.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/01/06 at 8:35 pm

I think numismatist was the word you were shooting for. Either way, the answer is no; I used to collect coins, but I also learned much of their histories while doing so.

Yeah, that's the word-funny, you would think that I would know the word because I am one.  :-[ :-[  (I could say that I was having a blond moment-but I'm not blond.  :-[ :-[ :-[ )  You know your stuff-that is why I asked.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/06 at 11:37 pm

Cat

Sure, I'm a Numanistic!

http://www.gothicrevue.com/Replicas.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...