» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: gwyneth!

Written By: Tia on 12/06/06 at 3:56 pm

what's the latest on that? it was lead story scandal yesterday and now it doesn't seem like i'm hearing much about it.

did she actually say americans are dumber than british people? was she misquoted? is she really a space alien? i have to know.

Subject: Re: gwyneth!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/06/06 at 3:59 pm

She's saying she was misquoted, but I've seen quotes like this from her in 2 different sources (meaning she said them in 2 different places), so I don't believe her. 

Her and Madonna can stay in England with the ex-pat crowd for all I care.

Written By: Tia on 12/06/06 at 4:04 pm

i hate it when i go to england and get that tude from people. oh, you're a simple american. not everybody does it but it's definitely out there.

Written By: La Roche on 12/06/06 at 4:36 pm

i hate it when i go to england and get that tude from people. oh, you're a simple american. not everybody does it but it's definitely out there.
I LOVE!!! LOVE!!! To re-adopt the mid-western twang when I speak to people here, they really do look down their noses at you.

I love this country but I detest the vast majority of the population. I realise I hate the ignorance in the bible belt, mid-west etc... but they genuinley make an effort to be friendly. People here are pricks, no doubt about it.. I know, cus I'm a prick.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/07/06 at 2:06 am

Her and Madonna can stay in England with the ex-pat crowd for all I care.

She and Madonna.

I don't care to argue about who is dumber than whom.  Americans have done some things to make our intelligence appear not up to snuff.  One of them is fussing over what some movie stars or pop singers say as though their words are some kind of authoratative decree.  Natalie, Gwyneth, who cares?
:P

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/07/06 at 2:09 am

She and Madonna.

Thanks, Dad.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/07/06 at 2:21 am

Thanks, Dad.

"If she were my daugher, I'd...
What would you do, daddy?
If she were my daughter, I'd...
If she were my daughter, I'd...
If she were my daughter, I'd....

......... :-X "

---Frank Zappa
"Brown Shoes Don't Make It"

Written By: limblifter on 12/07/06 at 9:25 am

An american actress thinks that the british are smarter than americans. This is a lead story scandal? What a joke.

War in the middle east? Global warming? Nuclear proliferation? Who cares! Gwyneth called us dumb, Michael Richards and Andy Dick said the N-word, and it's curtains for jennivaughn and bennifer.

Yes I realize that it's not an actual lead story, but you would think it was if you were in my class today.

Written By: Tia on 12/07/06 at 9:32 am

She and Madonna.

I don't care to argue about who is dumber than whom.  Americans have done some things to make our intelligence appear not up to snuff.  One of them is fussing over what some movie stars or pop singers say as though their words are some kind of authoratative decree.  Natalie, Gwyneth, who cares?
:P
one of the things that i encounter in england a lot is really frank racism and anti-semitism. there's also a certain smugness to a tendency to speak using excessive verbiage as though that connoted intelligence when it just connotes smugness.

i'm not saying everyone there is like that, far from it. most of the people are totally cool. but that is definitely a streak that i see there. also, in terms of celebrity obsession we got NOTHING on the english. i mean, hello? royal family? outrage over prince whatshisbutt showing up to a party in a nazi outfit? all the handwringing over beckham and slutty spice? dag!

also i love how english people get down on us for the iraq war. isn't proportionally, the british just about as committed in iraq as the US is?

so as for anything that could possibly indicate that the english are superior, i think there's nothing to indicate it. nothing whatsoever.

apologies to any british readers. i'm just saying...

also

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 12/07/06 at 10:35 am

I've always seen Gwyneth as someone who thinks she's better than most so I don't pay much attention to her opinion on stuff.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/06 at 12:14 pm

An american actress thinks that the british are smarter than americans. This is a lead story scandal? What a joke.

War in the middle east? Global warming? Nuclear proliferation? Who cares! Gwyneth called us dumb, Michael Richards and Andy Dick said the N-word, and it's curtains for jennivaughn and bennifer.

Yes I realize that it's not an actual lead story, but you would think it was if you were in my class today.

I couldn't agree more. It is pitiful when what some celebrity says and does is more important than people going hungry, not getting access to health care, and people getting killed. Sometimes we switch from CNN to Fox News and back again and I am just amazed at the difference in stories. Fox News usually have the "non-news" stories-going on and on about Michael Richards (which happened more than a week ago) and last night Bill O'Reilly was going on about this little girl  on the internet spouting left-wing rhetoric and how her parents were abusing her. (Of course he didn't say anything about people like the Ramseys who dress their little girls up and paraded them around-but that it different I guess.) When we turned back to CNN, they were talking about Gates, and how the war is NOT going. Which is more important?

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/07/06 at 12:56 pm

I think our culture is way too obsessed with celibrities, but I can't help but pay attention to them myself.  When the economy, the war, Hurricane Katrina, Blue vs. Red, is constantly swarming around you, it can be quite a relief to look to Britney and Paris to take your mind off of everything else.  I also think a lot of celebrity watching is just a means to feel better about our own lives.  Here are these people with fame and fortune, yet they're complete nut jobs.  Makes you realize that your own seemingly insignifigant little life is pretty great.  Celebrity watching is junk food for the mind, and let's face it, everyone likes a little junk food every once in a while.

And to get back on topic, who cares what Gwyneth says?  It's difficult for me to heed the opinion of a woman who actually left her house wearing this monstrosity. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/07/06 at 6:23 pm

one of the things that i encounter in england a lot is really frank racism and anti-semitism. there's also a certain smugness to a tendency to speak using excessive verbiage as though that connoted intelligence when it just connotes smugness.

i'm not saying everyone there is like that, far from it. most of the people are totally cool. but that is definitely a streak that i see there. also, in terms of celebrity obsession we got NOTHING on the english. i mean, hello? royal family? outrage over prince whatshisbutt showing up to a party in a nazi outfit? all the handwringing over beckham and slutty spice? dag!

also i love how english people get down on us for the iraq war. isn't proportionally, the british just about as committed in iraq as the US is?

so as for anything that could possibly indicate that the english are superior, i think there's nothing to indicate it. nothing whatsoever.

apologies to any british readers. i'm just saying...

also

Ohhh yeah!  I thought American tabloids were trashy, then I went to Britain, their tabloids make the National Enquirer look like The Christian Science Monitor!

And the Brits know a thing or two about hanging around where they're not wanted!
(I refered to Orwell's "Shooting an Elephant" in a different thread regarding the U.S. in Iraq.)

Now 230 years ago, we decided to kick the British out.  Thomas Paine called King George III a "royal brute."  Now we are subjects of the Bush family, royal brutes still casting their lot with the Tories, George W. still swaggering like George III.  If our government has any respect for the Founding Fathers, they'd get our occupying soldiers out of Iraq, stop trying to put the King's X on the oil wells, and generally stop sticking their fingers in everybody else's pie!

Bleedin' toffee-nosed Tories, that's all the Bushies are!
::)

Written By: Gis on 12/08/06 at 4:27 am

Ohhh yeah!  I thought American tabloids were trashy, then I went to Britain, their tabloids make the National Enquirer look like The Christian Science Monitor!

Now now, come come.NOTHING could make the National Enquirer look that good not even the sunday sport!

Written By: La Roche on 12/08/06 at 6:40 am

Now now, come come.NOTHING could make the National Enquirer look that good not even the sunday sport!

At least the sport has tits in it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/06 at 12:19 pm

At least the sport has tits in it.

She's a good sport!  I'll bet she is, I'll bet she it!  Nudge, nudge, wink, wink!
;) ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...