» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: 'dem bones ain't ours

Written By: La Roche on 12/09/06 at 2:57 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20061203/sc_livescience/scientistfightschurchefforttohidemuseumsprehumanfossils

Get this - these idiot fundies want the museums not to display bones of pre-human ancestors. Oh I wonder why? Could it be that the native population is slowly starting to awake from their ignorant slumber?

Can't we just relegate Christianity to the backroom of society?

Subject: Re: 'dem bones ain't ours

Written By: spaceace on 12/09/06 at 3:34 pm

Darwin strikes again and they can't handle it. :)

Written By: La Roche on 12/09/06 at 4:33 pm

;D Return of the Scientists - The evolutionaries strike back.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/09/06 at 4:36 pm

I wonder what's going to happen to those people if they find evidence of some kind of life on Mars.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/09/06 at 4:37 pm

It is one thing to want to remain ignorant but it is another thing to want EVERYONE to remain ignorant.

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 12/09/06 at 4:38 pm

I wonder what's going to happen to those people if they find evidence of some kind of life on Mars.

I've often pondered over that. What would the church.. nay.. all the religious bodies say if Intelligent life made contact with us.

"IT'S NOT HAPPENING, GO ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS!!!!"  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 12/09/06 at 4:39 pm

It is one thing to want to remain ignorant but it is another thing to want EVERYONE to remain ignorant.

Especially in that part of the world. Most of the people there, for the most part are exceptionally ignorant of the world around them, but are blessed by the fact that human civilisation started right in their backyard. The development that is going on there is huge and the fundies want that put to a stop so they have more ignorant followers in their pathetic mislead flocks.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/09/06 at 4:40 pm

I've often pondered over that. What would the church.. nay.. all the religious bodies say if Intelligent life made contact with us.

"IT'S NOT HAPPENING, GO ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS!!!!"  ;D

The "alians" would probably say, "Beam me up, Scotty. There is no intelligent life here."  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 12/09/06 at 4:41 pm

The "alians" would probably say, "Beam me up, Scotty. There is no intelligent life here."  :D ;D ;D ;D

Drop in one of the fundie tents as they're speaking in tounges.

"Well that was a waste of a trip."

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/09/06 at 4:42 pm

If people choose to believe in Creationism and the fact the earth was created in 6 days, that's great.  However, when you ask me what I think and I tell you I believe in evolution, don't tell me I'm going to hell.  If you choose not to believe that we descended from lower life forms, good for you.....but don't take away my right to believe that we did.  I don't yank your bible away and say you're wrong.

I had problems with people like that in college. 

Written By: La Roche on 12/09/06 at 4:45 pm

If people choose to believe in Creationism and the fact the earth was created in 6 days, that's great.  However, when you ask me what I think and I tell you I believe in evolution, don't tell me I'm going to hell.  If you choose not to believe that we descended from lower life forms, good for you.....but don't take away my right to believe that we did.  I don't yank your bible away and say you're wrong.

I had problems with people like that in college. 

That's because you live in Georgia.  :)

I would yank their bibles away and tell them they're wrong. I fully admit to being just as reactionary in my absolute hatred of monotheistic religions as these nuts are in their devotion to them.

But as I say, here's the thing. My saying 'There is no God, your whole life has been a lie' isn't depriving anybody. These guys saying "Oh sorry, but these bones aren't real, don't show them.. and don't generate any revenue for your country either." is depriving people.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/09/06 at 4:49 pm

That's because you live in Georgia.  :)

I would yank their bibles away and tell them they're wrong. I fully admit to being just as reactionary in my absolute hatred of monotheistic religions as these nuts are in their devotion to them.

But as I say, here's the thing. My saying 'There is no God, your whole life has been a lie' isn't depriving anybody. These guys saying "Oh sorry, but these bones aren't real, don't show them.. and don't generate any revenue for your country either." is depriving people.

Not all of Georgia is fundie-heaven.  There's more Catholics/Episcopalians up where I am than Southern Baptists and Seventh Day Adventists.  And being as I'm not super-de-duper religious as it is, I don't try to get into pissing matches with them because my belief in a higher power is not the same as theirs and that would just annoy them.  I'm Catholic, but my view of the faith and how it affects me is markedly different than the way traditional Catholics think/feel.

Written By: La Roche on 12/09/06 at 4:50 pm

Not all of Georgia is fundie-heaven.  There's more Catholics/Episcopalians up where I am than Southern Baptists and Seventh Day Adventists.  And being as I'm not super-de-duper religious as it is, I don't try to get into pissing matches with them because my belief in a higher power is not the same as theirs and that would just annoy them.  I'm Catholic, but my view of the faith and how it affects me is markedly different than the way traditional Catholics think/feel.

You're whole life has been a lie. Your belief system is flawed. You must now die by the sword.  :) Have a nice day.  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/09/06 at 4:52 pm

You're whole life has been a lie. Your belief system is flawed. You must now die by the sword.  :) Have a nice day.  ;D

You sound like the people who come to our front door about once a month.  Do you own a red bike?

Written By: La Roche on 12/09/06 at 4:54 pm

You sound like the people who come to our front door about once a month.  Do you own a red bike?

No, just a flaming sword of vengeance.

Had a mormon come to the door today. Now, I'm usually pleasent enough towards 'em 'cus I've had a couple favors of mormon's before.. so I figure, be friendly to their kinfolk right. I'm standing wearing a freakin towel.. the doorbell rings, now.. I debated on if I wanted to answer it, I figured, hey, must be somebody I know considering it's Saturday, most people have seen me wearing next to nothing before, open the door.
"Hi, I'm from the church of Jesus christ and la..."
'How very nice for you, bye.'

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/09/06 at 6:35 pm

This kind of sing-song sould not bear repeating, but here we go:
Most religious people can reconcile spiritual faith and scientific inquiry. 

The power funny-mentalist crackpots wield is astonishing.  They get it into their heads that they're right and everybody else is wrong.  You find elements of this among cultures such as the Amish, but the Amish don't oblige their community to evangelize.  That is, to force their will on the rest of society.  Pentecostals, on the other hand, are a noisy and bothersome lot wherever they are in the world.  In this case, Kenya. 

The funny-mentalists accuse the scientific community of forcing their secularist agenda on the rest of the world.  Ironically, it is the funny-mentalists who claim they bear the Ultimate Answer--and that goes for fundies in all three major monotheistic religions.  The scientists will tell you they don't have the Ultimate Answer, they're just guessing.

I like to ask funny-mentalists if they believe the heavens revolve around the Earth.  If they say "no," I say, "then thank a scientist."  Not one funny-mentalist has told me he believes the Earth is stationary and the sun revolves around it.  A few have insisted quite passionately that Jesus and the apostles were drinking grape juice at the Last Supper, not wine!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tard.gif

Anyway, didn't Stephen Colbert just get through interviewing these guys?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/09/06 at 6:39 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20061203/sc_livescience/scientistfightschurchefforttohidemuseumsprehumanfossils

Get this - these idiot fundies want the museums not to display bones of pre-human ancestors. Oh I wonder why? Could it be that the native population is slowly starting to awake from their ignorant slumber?

Can't we just relegate Christianity to the backroom of society?
people are absolutely eager to believe this as truth as if the dating processes used by science are that accurate when they are not, and fossil records like this have been and probably will be disproven as they have many times before. Don't be so quick to be a believer in the claims made by the scientists.  It takes a bit of faith to accept what they say is true and that they have proof from how long ago?  1.7-million-years ago.  please...  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 12/09/06 at 6:44 pm

people are absolutely eager to believe this as truth as if the dating processes used by science are that accurate when they are not, and fossil records like this have been and probably will be disproven as they have many times before. Don't be so quick to be a believer in the claims made by the scientists.  It takes a bit of faith to accept what they say is true and that they have proof from how long ago?  1.7-million-years ago.  please...  ;D

.. but some dude dropped outta the sky and turned water in to wine right?  ;)

1.7 Million years is about as brief a period as you can get when you consider the age of the earth it'self. Here's the question for you - If the fossil record is in fact all wrong then what are they and when do they look freakishly like us?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/09/06 at 7:02 pm

.. but some dude dropped outta the sky and turned water in to wine right?  ;)

1.7 Million years is about as brief a period as you can get when you consider the age of the earth it'self. Here's the question for you - If the fossil record is in fact all wrong then what are they and when do they look freakishly like us?
either choice it's a matter of faith and belief. It's most likely a human, we've got a lot of different shapes and sizes in existence today, and what Darwin predicted was that there would be millions of transitionary bones that would prove the slow evolutionary changes of creatures, and doggone it, they haven't found those yet, but they've been digging for over a century. The pics in the books and the figures in the museums that show the transition of man is what they've taught, but they don't have the fossils of those, just the theoritical images of what they are. There are scientists and Christian authors and there are some Christian scientists (not the religion) that will do their damndest to disprove one another and try to make their point a fact. I'm not buying the evolution thing because I'm not related to a stinking algea cell  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/09/06 at 10:05 pm

either choice it's a matter of faith and belief. It's most likely a human, we've got a lot of different shapes and sizes in existence today, and what Darwin predicted was that there would be millions of transitionary bones that would prove the slow evolutionary changes of creatures, and doggone it, they haven't found those yet, but they've been digging for over a century. The pics in the books and the figures in the museums that show the transition of man is what they've taught, but they don't have the fossils of those, just the theoritical images of what they are. There are scientists and Christian authors and there are some Christian scientists (not the religion) that will do their damndest to disprove one another and try to make their point a fact. I'm not buying the evolution thing because I'm not related to a stinking algea cell  ;D

thank you. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/09/06 at 11:01 pm

thank you. ;)

Comes as quite a relief to us stinking algae cells!
:P

Is Darwin's theory of evolution flawless?  Absolutely not.
Scientists work with it to this day because, by the princples of scientific inquiry, it's still the best thing going.  If Badfinger-fan has a better idea, he oughta bring it on and get him the Nobel prize!

Written By: velvetoneo on 12/10/06 at 1:17 am

I'm not a fan of most Christianity, honestly, or at least the power structures that have exploited it and its followers in various ways in the past millenia and a half. I essentially see the division between Catholicism/Eastern Orthodox and Protestantism as the division in European society: Catholicism/Eastern Orthodox is feudal and agrarian, whereas Protestantism is capitalist. Flannery O'Conner has some interesting opinions on the differences between Protestantism and Catholicism. Basically, in most of her short stories, she emphasizes that Protestantism believes in the perfectability of man and the ability to become absolutely "good" and devoid of sin, whereas Catholicism accepts that man will ultimately sin, and that fate is fate. Judaism isn't based on the same "sin"-"salvation" rhetoric at all, so it's difficult to compare, and I know much less about Islam than I should.This ties into the socioeconomic and historical forces in Europe that divide them. Of course, western thought has been created by embrasure and by reaction to the forces of organized religion, and it has created both good and bad results in every artery of Western society. Nothing so general as religion is totally good or totally bad.

Where I am, almost everyone is Catholic or Jewish, ranging from half-lapsed and born that way to quite religious, with a smaller number of general Protestants and Baptists (who are 99% African-American) mixed in. I have an issue with all "salvation-enlightenment" based religious rhetoric. I find it hard to swallow and stomach, this blatantly goal-based stuff that goes from Buddhism to Pentecostalism to Islam to everywhere. The reason somebody would want to act a certain way shouldn't be to go to heaven or to reach nirvana or so and so. My two cents.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/10/06 at 2:06 am

Comes as quite a relief to us stinking algae cells!
:P

Is Darwin's theory of evolution flawless?  Absolutely not.
Scientists work with it to this day because, by the princples of scientific inquiry, it's still the best thing going.  If Badfinger-fan has a better idea, he oughta bring it on and get him the Nobel prize!

When we were young, a frog turning into a prince was a cute nursery rhyme, and when we got older it was taught as science.  ;D
I'm not campaining for any accolades, but wonder if it's more logical, rational, and scientific to believe in evolution or to believe in God & creation? compare the evidence available for each and If I were a betting man, and I am, I wouldn't bet my life or anyone else's that evolution is the truth about our origin. as for the other, some peoples minds are made up before they even ask the question. I think it takes a good amount of faith to believe in evolution.
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5x6OsXtFgQsAlaajzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=133hifkma/EXP=1165820686/**http%3a//www.world-builders.org/lessons/rubrics/pp-rubigifs/algae_anim/cell_6.gif

Written By: La Roche on 12/10/06 at 8:01 am

When we were young, a frog turning into a prince was a cute nursery rhyme, and when we got older it was taught as science.  ;D
I'm not campaining for any accolades, but wonder if it's more logical, rational, and scientific to believe in evolution or to believe in God & creation? compare the evidence available for each and If I were a betting man, and I am, I wouldn't bet my life or anyone else's that evolution is the truth about our origin. as for the other, some peoples minds are made up before they even ask the question. I think it takes a good amount of faith to believe in evolution.
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5x6OsXtFgQsAlaajzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=133hifkma/EXP=1165820686/**http%3a//www.world-builders.org/lessons/rubrics/pp-rubigifs/algae_anim/cell_6.gif

You talk about cute nursery rhymes.. you talk about logic and rational thought... and then you talk about Creation in the same sentance?

So.. ok, this God fella right, he created everything a few thousand years ago, whole universe, badabing badaboom. Made it seem billions of years old ok, stuck in all these fossils just to mess with us. So, he's capable of doing that.. and let's face it, that's pretty dang impressive. Yet he has to send his son to clean up the mess? But not just that, he has to then say, OK.. my son sucked at his job, I'm gonna take this guy Mohammed and tell him EXACTLY what ya'll should be doing. Sounds like he bit off more than he could chew, no?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/10/06 at 5:43 pm

Science versus Christianity:

How did the universe begin?
Not sure, but we're trying to find out.

God said "Let there be light..."
But who created God?
A non-believer!  Persecute!

I dunno, Badfinger-fan, maybe you'd be happy at Jerry Falwell's Liberty University.  They've got some dinosaur bones that are only four thousand years old!

http://www.youthink.com/quiz_images/quiz725outcome6.jpg

And this goes a long way to explaining how they built the Pyramids!

Yabba-dabba-doo!!!

Written By: La Roche on 12/10/06 at 5:48 pm

Science versus Christianity:

Not sure, but we're trying to find out.

God said "Let there be light..."
But who created God?
A non-believer!  Persecute!

I dunno, Badfinger-fan, maybe you'd be happy at Jerry Falwell's Liberty University.  They've got some dinosaur bones that are only four thousand years old!

http://www.youthink.com/quiz_images/quiz725outcome6.jpg

And this goes a long way to explaining how they built the Pyramids!

Yabba-dabba-doo!!!

To be fair... I know Mike isn't the sort to 'persecute non believers' but those people do exist in abundance... they're always to a man the least likely to even consider alternate views.

Once again, the Catholic Church, although filled with crbutts has led the way on the acceptance of evolution to a point. Essentially saying "Woooah, hold on a second, this fills in the gaps people."

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/10/06 at 5:52 pm

I think that was a really rude comment to make towards Badfinger-fan.  Seriously.  He chooses to doubt evolution and that's fine, it's his prerogative.  However it sounds to me like you're mocking him for it and that's beyond crass.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/10/06 at 7:40 pm

Just look at how much chimps resemble us. :D

If you look at at just how much alike the DNA of mammals is, it doesn't seem like a huge leap to say all of them are genetically related.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/10/06 at 7:54 pm

To be fair... I know Mike isn't the sort to 'persecute non believers' but those people do exist in abundance... they're always to a man the least likely to even consider alternate views.

Once again, the Catholic Church, although filled with crbutts has led the way on the acceptance of evolution to a point. Essentially saying "Woooah, hold on a second, this fills in the gaps people."

I didn't mean to imply Mike would persecute anyone, but the church has a history where that's concerned.  My point was, scientists like questions, the church establisment does not.  The mainstream Catholic church has come a loooong way in the past forty years alone.  Like I say, they don't teach "intelligent design" in the Notre Dame biology dept.
::)

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/10/06 at 7:57 pm

I didn't mean to imply Mike would persecute anyone, but the church has a history where that's concerned.  My point was, scientists like questions, the church establisment does not.  The mainstream Catholic church has come a loooong way in the past forty years alone.  Like I say, the don't teach "intelligent design" in the Notre Dame biology dept.

Exactly. Mainstream religious organizations and institutions don't pettle "intelligent design", its only the fundies. Karma+1

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/10/06 at 8:48 pm

I don

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/10/06 at 8:59 pm

I didn't mean to imply Mike would persecute anyone, but the church has a history where that's concerned.  My point was, scientists like questions, the church establisment does not.  The mainstream Catholic church has come a loooong way in the past forty years alone.  Like I say, they don't teach "intelligent design" in the Notre Dame biology dept.
I know you didn't mean that I'm a persecutor Max, but I do appreciate SM and Andy sticking up for me  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/10/06 at 10:52 pm

I think that was a really rude comment to make towards Badfinger-fan.  Seriously.  He chooses to doubt evolution and that's fine, it's his prerogative.  However it sounds to me like you're mocking him for it and that's beyond crass.

well unfortunately, that's usually how it is on this messageboard...anyone who has a different idea that goes against the majority..gets slammed. I for one, agree with mike...and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Let's not bash each other! :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/10/06 at 10:53 pm

I don

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/11/06 at 2:24 am

I'm sorry if I offend, but I'm experiencing a deficit in magnanimity here.

The fundamentalist powerbrokers of monotheism continue to bring us bloodshed and misery in the 21st century.  A proclaimed atheist who tried to run for the senate today would be drummed out of the public sphere by raging religious fanatics, and yet we have members of congress who believe in creationism and call global warming a "hoax."  The media kowtows to them and they get leadership positions in senate committees.  The rulers of America, along with the rulers of the Muslim theocracies again and again are choosing superstition over reason, and it's starting to feel like the Enlightenment is going dim all over again!

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/11/06 at 2:30 am

The fundamentalist powerbrokers of monotheism continue to bring us bloodshed and misery in the 21st century.  A proclaimed atheist who tried to run for the senate today would be drummed out of the public sphere by raging religious fanatics, and yet we have members of congress who believe in creationism and call global warming a "hoax." 

This irks me so much, because its true. This is a country where an atheist just could not get elected nationally or statewide. Perhaps in a select few local elections(in places like San Francisco or Portland), but thats it. Thats SAD, ignorant and insulting in the wealthiest nation in the world and supposedly the most free and advanced. FFS, Germany had an atheist President(Schroeder). Compare that to here.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/11/06 at 2:48 am

This irks me so much, because its true. This is a country where an atheist just could not get elected nationally or statewide. Perhaps in a select few local elections(in places like San Francisco or Portland), but thats it. Thats SAD, ignorant and insulting in the wealthiest nation in the world and supposedly the most free and advanced. FFS, Germany had an atheist President(Schroeder). Compare that to here.

That's why I like the idea of total separation of church and state.  I should not need to concern myself with whether a candidate is a Christian, a Jew, a Muslim, a Wiccan, an agnostic, or an atheist.  I should only need concern myself with whether he or she will conduct sound and productive policies foreign and domestic.  Same thing with sexual orientation.  In 2003, there was a rumor Ralph Nader was gay.  My gut reaction was, "So what?  What difference does that make?"  Then I recalled two words "red America."  They don't care if a politician is as crazy as a rat in a tin sh*thouse and takes all his orders from big business.  If he appears to be an animated Norman Rockwell, he's our man! (Ronald Reagan). 

Rep. Barney Frank often talks about being gay, but that's only because everybody else won't shut the h#ll up about it!
:D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/11/06 at 3:04 am

Obviously at this point in time an Atheist would not get elected into a position of power, yet.  Perhaps with the efforts I see on some some of the Atheism websites, the population of atheist voters or supporters may grow and make that a possibility. I personally was amazed at the effort being put into combatting Christianity & the religious right on some of these sites.

I don't think that having an Atheist as a president or will keep our country from war and bloodshed and not to be sarcastic but I didn't realize that Germany was such an admired country to make a comparison with.

That's why I like the idea of total separation of church and state.  I should not need to concern myself with whether a candidate is a Christian, a Jew, a Muslim, a Wiccan, an agnostic, or an atheist.  I should only need concern myself with whether he or she will conduct sound and productive policies foreign and domestic.  Same thing with sexual orientation.  In 2003, there was a rumor Ralph Nader was gay.  My gut reaction was, "So what?  What difference does that make?"  Then I recalled two words "red America."  They don't care if a politician is as crazy as a rat in a tin sh*thouse and takes all his orders from big business.  If he appears to be an animated Norman Rockwell, he's our man! (Ronald Reagan). 

Rep. Barney Frank often talks about being gay, but that's only because everybody else won't shut the h#ll up about it!
:D
I guess i can prospect in the board myself, but out of laziness I'll just ask, was there or is there a separation of church and state thread? 

Written By: La Roche on 12/11/06 at 3:40 am

Right. It's interesting to see that the main church body has come around on the subject. I don't consider Protestant groups part of the main Christian church anyway. They're just splinter groups, there are so many of them it's hard to keep track.  ;D

The fundamentalist powerbrokers of monotheism continue to bring us bloodshed and misery in the 21st century.  A proclaimed atheist who tried to run for the senate today would be drummed out of the public sphere by raging religious fanatics, and yet we have members of congress who believe in creationism and call global warming a "hoax."  The media kowtows to them and they get leadership positions in senate committees.  The rulers of America, along with the rulers of the Muslim theocracies again and again are choosing superstition over reason, and it's starting to feel like the Enlightenment is going dim all over again!

True. True. True. People like to complain that we bow to pressure from all these different religious groups, social groups etc.. and it's true we do. But what nobody ever really has the balls to say, is this. America is not a religious country. There is a distinct seperation of church and state, thus, religion is a 100% private matter. I for one find Christianity repulsive, offensives and virilant and want it nowhere near me but every day on the news, in schools, in offices around the country it is force fed because - "We're a christian nation." - Guess what, "We're not."

I don't think that having an Atheist as a president or will keep our country from war and bloodshed and not to be sarcastic but I didn't realize that Germany was such an admired country to make a comparison with.

Not been to Germany have you?

I don't think having a non-religious president would keep us out of war either (oh by the way, the term atheist.. I don't use it.. I don't believe in relgion period.. i don't think it should exist and thus by calling myself an atheist I am just feeding the fire of religion.  ;)). The fact that America is the worlds only remaining superpower means we can't stay out of it. People like to complain and say "Oooh we went in to such and such a country uninvited." These of course are the same people who want us to send taskforces to a different sh.ithole in Africa every other weekend.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/11/06 at 4:02 am

Not been to Germany have you?

I don't think having a non-religious president would keep us out of war either (oh by the way, the term atheist.. I don't use it.. I don't believe in relgion period.. i don't think it should exist and thus by calling myself an atheist I am just feeding the fire of religion.  ;)). The fact that America is the worlds only remaining superpower means we can't stay out of it. People like to complain and say "Oooh we went in to such and such a country uninvited." These of course are the same people who want us to send taskforces to a different sh.ithole in Africa every other weekend.
never been to Germany, but my mother spoke fluent German, and has traces in the bloodline, but mostly Yugoslavian and Austria.

So you gotta have a label, if not atheist, what?
We end up going into these countries/places because no one else will, and because we care  ;)

Written By: La Roche on 12/11/06 at 4:04 am

never been to Germany, but my mother spoke fluent German, and has traces in the bloodline, but mostly Yugoslavian and Austria.

So you gotta have a label, if not atheist, what?
We end up going into these countries/places because no one else will, and because we care  ;)

Nobody else is equipped to.

Don't gotta have a label at all. I am man.

Germany, wonderful country. Have had some economic trouble recently but then again who hasn't.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/11/06 at 4:20 am

Nobody else is equipped to.

Don't gotta have a label at all. I am man.

Germany, wonderful country. Have had some economic trouble recently but then again who hasn't.
my mom used to make killer weinerschnitzel, man that woman could cook. so you're kinda like Prince when he went by no name, however he did use an unpronouncable symbol as his label. maybe you could devise one for yourself. 

Written By: La Roche on 12/11/06 at 4:25 am

my mom used to make killer weinerschnitzel, man that woman could cook. so you're kinda like Prince when he went by no name, however he did use an unpronouncable symbol as his label. maybe you could devise one for yourself. 

Don't tempt me to find a swastika dude.  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/11/06 at 8:16 am

Atheists can be just as virulent and rah-rah as fundies.  I haven't met an atheist yet who didn't make it their mission in life to convert every religious/spiritual person they've ever met.  Granted I don't know every single atheist in the world, so I'm sure there are some who don't do that, but much like religious folk.......the weird, wild and wacky ones are those who get airtime. 

Some of you seem to dislike the fact that while America doesn't have a national religion, we are a religious country.  Well, unless you get a nation full of atheists and agnostics, there's going to be religious people in the majority, no matter what that religion is.  It's not the fact that religious people are in the majority that is bothersome....it's the kind of religious people they are.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/11/06 at 12:04 pm

I guess i can prospect in the board myself, but out of laziness I'll just ask, was there or is there a separation of church and state thread? 

I seem to remember a few such threads.  The liberals said the First Amendment is intended to keep a wall of separation between church and state.  The conservatives said the First Amendment is there to allow the church to rule the government, and forbid the government from having any say in the church.  I say, in the hands of conservatives, organized religion is the front office for fascism, whether the receptionist is Kenneth Starr or John Ashcroft!

Whether the Founding Fathers were Christians or Deists matters not.  They saw religion informing the state as a threat to the liberties they wished to establish.  The fundies always say, "Yeah, but that just means they did not want the government to be able to establish a state religion like the Church of England."  Thomas Jefferson would have LOATHED the Christian Right of today.  He would have seen straight through their bogus ecumenical pretenses to the bare fact that the Christian Right indeed wants to establish a state religion like the C of E back in Jefferson's day.  Jefferson knew if you did not keep the church out of the government, the theocrats would not stop fighting for control until the people's freedom to worship--or not worship--as they chose was completely undermined.

Atheists can be just as virulent and rah-rah as fundies.  I haven't met an atheist yet who didn't make it their mission in life to convert every religious/spiritual person they've ever met.  Granted I don't know every single atheist in the world,

You meet devout Christians every day who don't evangelize to you.  Same with atheists.  Some atheists are indeed a mirror image of fundamentalist fanatics in their passion to convince one and all there is no God.  Most atheists prefer to mind their own business with a point of view closer to, "I don't believe in God, but it's none of my business whether you do or not.  It's a free country."  Same goes for most religions people.  It's only a minority in any religion saying, "Believe as I do or my God will smite you!"

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/11/06 at 12:58 pm

This comment is extremely uninformed. Germany is a democracy, has been the last 50 years(actually, almost 60 now I think) and is one of the most advanced and prosperous nations in the world.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/11/06 at 1:05 pm

You meet devout Christians every day who don't evangelize to you.  Same with atheists.  Some atheists are indeed a mirror image of fundamentalist fanatics in their passion to convince one and all there is no God.  Most atheists prefer to mind their own business with a point of view closer to, "I don't believe in God, but it's none of my business whether you do or not.  It's a free country."  Same goes for most religions people.  It's only a minority in any religion saying, "Believe as I do or my God will smite you!"

I just said this. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/11/06 at 3:54 pm

I think that removing a skeleton from a museum, just because "It goes against "proof" that God created us, instead of us involving from apes", is the most silliest thing I have ever heard.

Of course we involved from apes.... How else can you explain Mel Gibson?  ;D

This has been another Jamie's awkward attemp at sarcastic humor momment.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/11/06 at 4:30 pm

I think that removing a skeleton from a museum, just because "It goes against "proof" that God created us, instead of us involving from apes", is the most silliest thing I have ever heard.

The simian ancestors homosapiens evolved from are long extinct.  Today's primates are of a different line.  Creationists don't seem to get it.  We did not evolve from "apes" per se.

Written By: JFK-2004 on 12/11/06 at 4:58 pm

Following a long history of being slammed for my opinion on this board, I'm going for another attempt because I feel obligated to insert my two cents on this issue.  

There are many complicated reasons for someone to become a rabid evangelical or an unbending Darwinist.  Personally, I feel I fall somewhere in between.  Specifically, I believe that a supernatural power does exist but they have allowed the species to develop freely, with infrequent interventions.  I think, however, that one of the reasons certain people are so devoted to the creationist theory is that the idea that we were magically created by a God simply seems much more romantic and pleasant than the concept of once being nothing more than a mere amoeba.  

Before casting stones at anyone for "being on the other side of the street" in the evolution vs. creationism debate, it is important to remember that both philosophies have at one time or another been used as justification for monstrous evil.  Today, you are witnessing the violent Muslim fundamentalist movement raising chaos in the Middle East, with the same reasoning (albeit to a lesser degree, at least thus far) as the murderous Catholic Crusades of the Middle Ages.  Religion can be used for good intentions, but it is also a powerful tool of corruption when the wrong users are empowered.  

Social Darwinism also has done its fair share of malice.  One of the most prominent examples that come to mind is Adolf the Abominable and his Minions of Malevolence.  One of the lesser-known facts about Nazi Germany is that the tactics that were used in the mass extermination of "undesirables" and political dissidents in the 1940s across Europe was "given a dry run" in the 1930s by a government program called Aktion-T4.  It was directed by a group of physicans at a German university, namely "Drs." (using that title with these villains unrightfully legitimizes their work) Carl "Hans Heinze" Sennhenn and Werner Villinger, and involved the "mercy killing" of the mentally ill and retarded.  These methods were later implemented on a greater scale by such"righteous" folk as Heinrich Himmler, Adolf Eichmann, Alois Brunner and carried out by the likes of "Drs." Josef Mengele, Herta Oberheuser, and Carl Vaernet, not to mention the hideous Amon Goth and Rudolf Hoss.  These subhuman scum drew on their Darwinist background and admiration of "natural selection" to carry out this genocide (democide).  

In essence, neither side of the debate can claim moral superiority, and the best policy is to simply sigh and respect the views of the other.        

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/11/06 at 5:16 pm

The simian ancestors homosapiens evolved from are long extinct.  Today's primates are of a different line.  Creationists don't seem to get it.  We did not evolve from "apes" per se.

True.

But stilll.....

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/11/06 at 5:37 pm

This comment is extremely uninformed. Germany is a democracy, has been the last 50 years(actually, almost 60 now I think) and is one of the most advanced and prosperous nations in the world.
I accept your criticism of my comment Alex, it was more a involuntary reflex, sort of a defense mechanism, mainly because it irks me to see my fellow Americans list countries in a way that makes us look or seem inferior and perhaps that was not what you intended. Meanwhile I always try to inform myself, at least a little and read "Germany possesses the world's third most technologically powerful economy after the US and Japan

I would be willing to check, but without serious investigation as to what bones were found, i would be quick to say it was not a entire skeleton, maybe a few bones and they make a skeleton from that, which has been tried before and was discovered to be a pig.  ???

Written By: La Roche on 12/11/06 at 5:40 pm

I would be willing to check, but without serious investigation as to what bones were found, i would be quick to say it was not a entire skeleton, maybe a few bones and they make a skeleton from that, which has been tried before and was discovered to be a pig.  ???

My question to you.. Mr. Finger ( ;D) is this.

If you don't like the idea of humans evolving over time, do you accept the idea of other species evolving over time? After all, we have seen in the course of human history - short term evolution - in many animals.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/11/06 at 5:55 pm

Davey kind of has a point there.

Written By: La Roche on 12/11/06 at 5:58 pm

Davey kind of has a point there.

Davey always has a point...... ladies.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/11/06 at 6:09 pm

;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/11/06 at 7:50 pm

I accept your criticism of my comment Alex, it was more a involuntary reflex, sort of a defense mechanism, mainly because it irks me to see my fellow Americans list countries in a way that makes us look or seem inferior and perhaps that was not what you intended.

It was exactly what I intended. We may have a more powerful military and the most wealthy economy, however thats not everything. On many social issues, as far as Western countries go, America is pretty backwards. Certain American attitudes are more comparable to the views of uneducated third world masses than to those of other industrialised nations such as Germany or France.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/11/06 at 7:55 pm

My question to you.. Mr. Finger ( ;D) is this.

If you don't like the idea of humans evolving over time, do you accept the idea of other species evolving over time? After all, we have seen in the course of human history - short term evolution - in many animals.
nobody has ever called me Mr Finger  ;D  Other species evolving over time?  what species, & what amount of time are we talking here, what was the animal like before it became what it is today?  the turkana boy find, 1.7million years, if it's a creature that maybe started it's evolving then during that time, well that's about 30,000 to 40,000 generations of the animal, and what gradual changes took place and what fossils are availabe for scrutiny for each change that the animal took place?  Am I being scientific at all here or am I just babbling  ??? I've said this before and I'll say it again,  I really need to be in Playful Penguin Place  ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/11/06 at 7:57 pm

nobody has ever called me Mr Finger  ;D  Other species evolving over time?  what species, & what amount of time are we talking here, what was the animal like before it became what it is today?  the turkana boy find, 1.7million years, if it's a creature that maybe started it's evolving then during that time, well that's about 30,000 to 40,000 generations of the animal, and what gradual changes took place and what fossils are availabe for scrutiny for each change that the animal took place?  Am I being scientific at all here or am I just babbling  ??? I've said this before and I'll say it again,  I really need to be in Playful Penguin Place  ;D

Ah, Mr. Finger has stumbled upon the minor flaws in the theory of evolution...the monstrous gaps in fossil record!  There's no doubt that some form of evolution exists, but the debate is not in whether it happens, it's in the "how" and "why" ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/11/06 at 7:59 pm

It was exactly what I intended. We may have a more powerful military and the most wealthy economy, however thats not everything. On many social issues, as far as Western countries go, America is pretty backwards. Certain American attitudes are more comparable to the views of uneducated third world masses than to those of other industrialised nations such as Germany or France.
well dang you Alex, you had me reading up on Germany on break while at work today  >:(  when i could have been napping, but I read that their social & economic situation is starting to suffer due to their social care/benefits structure and I'm not that smart, but that made me think that their system isn't working too well.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/11/06 at 8:01 pm

well dang you Alex, you had me reading up on Germany on break while at work today  >:(  when i could have been napping, but I read that their social & economic situation is starting to suffer due to their social care/benefits structure and I'm not that smart, but that made me think that their system isn't working too well.

This isn't an economic discussion, its a social one.

Edit: But to address what you're saying here, I've read that the United States has had a growing gap between the rich and the poor over the last thirty years because of economic leniency that allows it's corporations to export jobs overseas, that allows wages here to stagnate despite inflation and so on. Its all a double-edged sword it seems. I think its about what you value most, and I think our priorities are out of wack.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/11/06 at 8:09 pm

Ah, Mr. Finger has stumbled upon the minor flaws in the theory of evolution...the monstrous gaps in fossil record!  There's no doubt that some form of evolution exists, but the debate is not in whether it happens, it's in the "how" and "why" ;)
They call me Mr Finger  ;D   No Matter What we believe, it seems that a good amount of faith is required for either Creation/Evolution
here's definitions from a couple of dictionaries
FAITH
That which is believed on any subject, whether in science, politics, or religion

belief or trust: belief in, devotion to, or trust in somebody or something, especially without logical proof

This isn't an economic discussion, its a social one.
oh yeah,  the German leadership was Atheist, but has that made a difference in the country, are they a better nation because of it, and are religious values lessened because of the leaders own lifestyle and are repessed does their democratic nation allow complete freedom of religion.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/11/06 at 8:12 pm

oh yeah,  the German leadership was Atheist, but has that made a difference in the country, are they a better nation because of it, and are religious values lessened because of the leaders own lifestyle and are repessed does their democratic nation allow complete freedom of religion.

Germany very much allows freedom of religion, and unlike here it can seem at times, freedom FROM religion.

I wasn't trying to make a case for Schroeder's atheism making him a more effective leader. My point was simply that its sad and wrong that considering how advanced the U.S.A. is, that we aren't mature enough as a nation to be able to elect worthy Atheist public servants. I was comparing it to Germany because its a similarly-advanced nation and does not have the same problem.

Written By: JFK-2004 on 12/11/06 at 8:19 pm

Germany very much allows freedom of religion, and unlike here it can seem at times, freedom FROM religion.

I wasn't trying to make a case for Schroeder's atheism making him a more effective leader. My point was simply that its sad and wrong that considering how advanced the U.S.A. is, that we aren't mature enough as a nation to be able to elect worthy Atheist public servants. I was comparing it to Germany because its a similarly-advanced nation and does not have the same problem.

A leader's religion will not affect his ability to lead unless he/she is radical enough to let it interfere with logical decision-making processes.  By the way, I've never seen an atheist run for office, at least not in my district.  Of course, it wouldn't affect my vote unless I perceived said individual to be a threat to others' freedom of religion.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/11/06 at 8:21 pm

So do you think his being an Atheist had nothing to do with geting voted in. Or are you implying that they as a nation are more tolerant and look past his faith or non/faith. Either way you know that a leader of non-faith will support the opposite on issues that are supported by the religious and if the leader has no desire or allegiance to have any moral religious reference, than they'll always vote against the religious right, but I guess it's the other way when the shoe is on the other foot and I don't see any middle ground.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/11/06 at 8:44 pm

Or are you implying that they as a nation are more tolerant and look past his faith or non/faith.

Thats what I'm saying.

I don't think we as a nation are capable of doing that when it comes to an Atheist, yet.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/11/06 at 8:48 pm

Thats what I'm saying.

I don't think we as a nation are capable of doing that when it comes to an Atheist, yet.
Yeah, you're right, and we probably won't ever  be a nation capable of that

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/12/06 at 10:22 am

Yeah, you're right, and we probably won't ever  be a nation capable of that

I don't think thats true, Mike. Its just going to take a long time. By that I mean a LONG time, but considering the history of our country its safe to say it will happen because the progressive stance always wins out in the end. Women got the vote. Slaves were emancipated. Jim Crow was abolished.

The reason why its that way now is the cold hard fact that most Americans have a bigoted view of Atheists. There have been surveys and studies conducted which have shown we are the most distrusted minority group in America, even ahead of Muslims and Gays. Another survey showed the majority of people would approve of their child marrying outside of their race or marrying someone of another religion before they'd approve of them marrying an atheist. Its a pretty sad situation that in a country as "free" as ours being an Atheist is a form of social leprosy in almost every part of the country, except for perhaps very liberal urban areas such as San Francisco, NYC, Portland etc.

I've mentioned on here before that I am not openly an atheist. In public I dodge religious discussions or just try to leave it at me being "non-religious". Being non-religious, spiritual but non-religious and agnostic are all acceptable it seems(except for maybe the Bible Belt I guess), but not atheism. Everyone looks down on us. The believers and a lot of agnostics too, to be honest.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/12/06 at 4:55 pm

It has partly to do with the association of atheism with communism.  This is inacurate.

I've argued before the communist dictatorships of the past century do not qualify as atheist.  They were "cults of personality."  The dicator-for-life, Stalin, Mao, Kim Jung Ii, Ceausescu or whoever, supplanted God's absolute authority and ominscience with his own.  The suppressed religion less out of "imagine no religion" and more out of "imagine no competition!"

Check for new replies or respond here...