» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Congressional Intelligence?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/13/06 at 10:15 am

How in the world does the Chair of the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence not know that Al-Queda is a Sunni organization?  It's one thing for your average dumb American not to know, but for someone whose job it is to know these things?  It's disgraceful, and there is no excuse for his ignorance.  And then he has the audacity to make this comment:

"As a member of the intelligence committee since before 9/11, I'm acutely aware of al Qaeda's desire to harm Americans. The intelligence committee will keep its eye on the ball and focus on the pressing security and intelligence issues facing us."  Which means absolutely  nothing.  ::)

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyID=2006-12-12T123841Z_01_N11249213_RTRUKOC_0_US-USA-SHIITE.xml&WTmodLoc=PolNewsHome_C2_politicsNews-3

Subject: Re: Congressional Intelligence?

Written By: Tia on 12/13/06 at 10:42 am

i read about that in the washington post yesterday. i don't think that guy's gonna be in that post very long.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 12/13/06 at 12:15 pm

Congressional + Intelligence = oxymoron ;)

Written By: Tia on 12/13/06 at 12:52 pm

of course, another part of the problem is that folks in congress have to spend so much time fundraising they don't have time to actually learn how to dio their jobs. if we made elections publicly funded we might not see so much of this sort of thing.

still, this guy's ignorance seems unusually astounding given his post.

Written By: La Roche on 12/13/06 at 1:05 pm

Congressional Intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense, Washington D.C I've seen too much, senate recalls, I know too much!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/13/06 at 1:22 pm

You beat me to it.  ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/06 at 5:48 pm

Congressional Intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense, Washington D.C I've seen too much, senate recalls, I know too much!

You know the old chestnut,
"Congress" is the opposite of "Progress."

arf arf arf!
:-\\

How in the world does the Chair of the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence not know that Al-Queda is a Sunni organization?  It's one thing for your average dumb American not to know, but for someone whose job it is to know these things?  It's disgraceful, and there is no excuse for his ignorance.  And then he has the audacity to make this comment:

"As a member of the intelligence committee since before 9/11, I'm acutely aware of al Qaeda's desire to harm Americans. The intelligence committee will keep its eye on the ball and focus on the pressing security and intelligence issues facing us."  Which means absolutely  nothing.  ::)

So?  Dubya didn't know the difference between the Sunnies and the Funnies and whatever else them camel jockeys are called before he shoved our country into war with Iraq!  Now the Saudis are getting nervous...who soulda thunk it?  Some folks were saying in 2003, "if we invade Iraq we just might trigger World War III,"  but the Bushies stuck their fingers in their ears and said, "don't confuse us with facts, our minds are made up!"
The Iraq war is one of the worst foreign policy blunders in all of U.S. history!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/homework.gif

Written By: La Roche on 12/13/06 at 5:51 pm

You know the old chestnut,
"Congress" is the opposite of "Progress."

arf arf arf!
:-\\

Ba dum tsch!

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/13/06 at 8:40 pm

of course, another part of the problem is that folks in congress have to spend so much time fundraising they don't have time to actually learn how to dio their jobs.

Be thankful. Other than fundraising, a Congressman's only other job is handing out taxpayer cash to those who've bankrolled his campaign. The more time your Reps and Senators spend fundraising, the fewer laws they can pass, and the less damage  they're capable of doing!  See?  The system works!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/06 at 10:10 pm

Be thankful. Other than fundraising, a Congressman's only other job is handing out taxpayer cash to those who've bankrolled his campaign. The more time your Reps and Senators spend fundraising, the fewer laws they can pass, and the less damage  they're capable of doing!  See?  The system works!

If you think the private sector is more efficient and less wasteful than government, you've been tricked.  Corporations get to appear more efficient than governent because the government holds their little hands and cleans up their messes for them.
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/13/06 at 11:39 pm

If you think the private sector is more efficient and less wasteful than government, you've been tricked. 

Any corporation that receives a material amount of its revenue from government expenditures is no more part of a free market than the state-owned monopolies of Soviet Russia... or Putinist Russia.

Doesn't stop me from investing in them (or their Chinese, or American equivalents).  But (unlike a real capitalist) I don't  claim to earn all of my dollars.  I earn some of my dollars, and I hire the guns of the Russian, Chinese, and American governments to coerce the rest of my dollars from their respective subjects.  If it's any consolation, the American government still makes more in taxes from  all forms of my income than I get back in the form of gains on my US defense contractors.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/14/06 at 1:59 am

Any corporation that receives a material amount of its revenue from government expenditures is no more part of a free market than the state-owned monopolies of Soviet Russia... or Putinist Russia.

Doesn't stop me from investing in them (or their Chinese, or American equivalents).  But (unlike a real capitalist) I don't  claim to earn all of my dollars.  I earn some of my dollars, and I hire the guns of the Russian, Chinese, and American governments to coerce the rest of my dollars from their respective subjects.  If it's any consolation, the American government still makes more in taxes from  all forms of my income than I get back in the form of gains on my US defense contractors.

Well, I appreciate that.
However, the Reaganistas and the Bushies were no friend to either labor or investors like you who take wealth earned by labor and invest it.  The economic policies of the past three decades are hollowing out this country.  We are shedding manufacturing ("making things) as fast as we can, outsourcing as much of the service economy as possible (DuPont is now outsourcing it's legal affairs to Indian lawyers).  As Kevin Phillips points out, you can't run an economy on arbitrage...but that's what the American aristocracy is trying to do.  They just want to shuffle money back and forth.  You want real capitalism?
1. Get rid of this 120 year old lie of "corporate personhood."
2. Keep corporate money out of campaigns, and severely restrict lobbying.
3. Bring back organized labor as a force to counterbalance the interests of capital.  In the long run, a unionized workforce is better for all.

Four words about the above three:
1. Never
2. Going
3. To
4. Happen

Written By: Mushroom on 12/14/06 at 6:26 pm

Of course, one of the front-runners for the new head was also a Judge that had been impeached prior to becomming a Senator.

Written By: Tia on 12/14/06 at 9:21 pm

may i just add:

this thread's on track for an eyeroll avatar record!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/14/06 at 11:45 pm

Of course, one of the front-runners for the new head was also a Judge that had been impeached prior to becomming a Senator.

That's what happens when Democrats win.  You get corrupt, power-hungry, dishonest criminal politicians running amok!

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/15/06 at 12:29 am

That's what happens when Democrats win.  You get corrupt, power-hungry, dishonest criminal politicians running amok!

Under the Republicans, man exploits man.  Under the Democrats, it's the other way around!

Written By: Tia on 12/17/06 at 5:55 pm

ugh. i'mlistening to this briefing a congressman is giving and he just started talking about the "bully puppet." ::)

who ARE these people? in with the new boss, same as the old boss! omg!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/06 at 8:02 pm

Under the Republicans, man exploits man.  Under the Democrats, it's the other way around!

I said before, the difference is:

The Democrat sees the glass of water and says it's half empty.

The Republican sees the glass of water, p*sses in it, and sells it to his grandmother as lemonade!
:P

Check for new replies or respond here...