» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Belgium Freaks Out!

Written By: Tia on 12/15/06 at 7:55 pm

or maybe i should say "belgium" while doing the quote gesture with my fingers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/14/AR2006121401512.html

saw this on page A20 of the post today. turns out belgium had a war of the worlds-style freakout hoax last night in which they thought they dissolved as a country, and then discovered they actually hadn't. and nobody noticed. i love stories like this.

also, as an added bonus, i was googling to try and find this story online and discovered a very convincing web site about how belgium doesn't really exist, it's all a liberal plot.

http://zapatopi.net/belgium/

smurfs: cute belgian fantasy creatures or nefarious agents of the new world order? you be the judge.

Subject: Re: Belgium Freaks Out!

Written By: La Roche on 12/15/06 at 7:58 pm

or maybe i should say "belgium" while doing the quote gesture with my fingers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/14/AR2006121401512.html

saw this on page A20 of the post today. turns out belgium had a war of the worlds-style freakout hoax last night in which they thought they dissolved as a country, and then discovered they actually hadn't. and nobody noticed. i love stories like this.

also, as an added bonus, i was googling to try and find this story online and discovered a very convincing web site about how belgium doesn't really exist, it's all a liberal plot.

http://zapatopi.net/belgium/

smurfs: cute belgian fantasy creatures or nefarious agents of the new world order? you be the judge.

Belgium?

Written By: Tia on 12/15/06 at 8:00 pm

http://jitcrunch.cafepress.com/jitcrunch.aspx?bG9hZD1ibGFuayxibGFuazo1MF9GX28yLmpwZ3xsb2FkPUwwLGh0dHA6Ly9pbWFnZXMuY2FmZXByZXNzLmNvbS9pbWFnZS82MzIxMzE3XzQwMHg0MDAuanBnfHxzY2FsZT1MMCwyODAsNDQwLFdoaXRlfGNvbXBvc2U9YmxhbmssTDAsQWRkLDEwMywyMnxsb2FkPW1hc2ssYmxhbms6NTBfRl9tYXNrX28yLmpwZ3xjb21wb3NlPWJsYW5rLG1hc2ssTWFzaywwLDB8Y3A9cmVzdWx0LGJsYW5rfHNjYWxlPXJlc3VsdCwwLDQ4MCxXaGl0ZXxjb21wcmVzc2lvbj05NXw=

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/15/06 at 8:17 pm

"Let's not call them anything, let's just ignore them."

--Michael Palin,
on Belgians

Written By: Tia on 12/15/06 at 9:35 pm

we all know about y'all's liberal belgian agenda dude!

words really can't express how much i love this. it's cooler than cool; it's downright richardsian!

Belgium is, and has always been, a leftist ruse; a device applied to  propagate the Liberal agenda throughout the world. Hijacking a real country for this use would be difficult at best; the people living there wouldn't stand for it (i.e. the fall of communism.) Thus the idea to invent an imaginary country, insert it into the global consciousness through the perversion of history, and use it as a tool of manipulation was born.

Using the assumed voice of a nation, the Elite Left seeks to insinuate itself into world discussions, quietly changing the topic of conversations with a casual remark here, a whisper there. Need proof? The fictitious country was a founding member of the European Community (which is, as you should be aware, step one in the march to the One World Government,) most of who's governing institutions are supposedly based in Brussels. As are the headquarters of the Customs Cooperations Council (an Orwellian name if I ever heard one,) and other international bodies, unimportant and seemingly harmless now, that will have unaccountable jurisdiction to pass regulations and levy tariffs (read "taxation without representation") over any future global citizens.

The Elite Left have been hard at work dissimulating our reality. Through the deft use of relativism and red herrings like political correctness, they have been able to slip Belgium into history and geography without anyone noticing. The cleverness of this is almost laudable. Belgium history was designed with just enough territorial skirmishes, political struggles, and colonialism to make it blend in with the rest of Europe. That, combined with the co-opting of French and German historical figures and events creates an alternate history that meshes with the real one. Where does the contrivances stop and reality begin? What's more, under the auspices of the Liberal controlled Department of Education, our children are being forced to believe in these lies. History has been revised so many times that it's no wonder public schools want more money; they keep having to buy new history books!

Not only would the Left have us believe in the existence of Belgium, they would have us think their illusory nation is a Shangri-La. Typical of the Liberal Media, we have been inundated with pro-Belgium propaganda: Belgians' alleged superiority in the art of chocolate making; the reputed nutritional value of "Brussels sprouts"; how all quality diamonds can only be acquired through dealers in the mythical city of Antwerp; How french fries are actually a Belgian invention; and the "superior" martial artistry of Jean Claude Van Damme, the "Muscles from Brussels". Furthermore, Mystery! on PBS (need I say more?) regularly depicts Belgians -- such as Agatha Christie's "Hercule Poirot" -- as personable sleuths who always outsmart non-Belgians and uncover pro-Belgium versions of "The Truth."

When will the Liberals learn that you cannot keep the real truth from us?

I can hear the Left now: "But how could the existence of an entire country, albeit a small one, be a hoax?" Radical art types will, of course, ramble on and on about Rubens, Van Dyck, and other assumed Belgian artists that they learned about in their "Liberal Education" (read Liberal Indoctrination.) Public school teachers would point out that if it weren't for Belgium, there would be a blank spot between France and Netherlands on our maps, forgetting that the data for our maps came from the CIA-controlled spy-satellites. Some aging hippies may even claim to have bought drugs there, but of what value are the delusions of a stoned counter-culturalist. They will all vehemently disagree with you if you DARE doubt the existence of Belgium. They actually believe in it.

The answer to how the sham of Belgium's existence could be pulled off is simple: we weren't vigilant enough. We let them gain the power over us needed to distort reality to fit their fiendish plans. But it's not too late. The truth can still be made known.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/16/06 at 11:27 am

Does that mean Jean Claude Van Damme doesn't exist?  ::)  :o  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/16/06 at 3:39 pm

http://jitcrunch.cafepress.com/jitcrunch.aspx?bG9hZD1ibGFuayxibGFuazo1MF9GX28yLmpwZ3xsb2FkPUwwLGh0dHA6Ly9pbWFnZXMuY2FmZXByZXNzLmNvbS9pbWFnZS82MzIxMzE3XzQwMHg0MDAuanBnfHxzY2FsZT1MMCwyODAsNDQwLFdoaXRlfGNvbXBvc2U9YmxhbmssTDAsQWRkLDEwMywyMnxsb2FkPW1hc2ssYmxhbms6NTBfRl9tYXNrX28yLmpwZ3xjb21wb3NlPWJsYW5rLG1hc2ssTWFzaywwLDB8Y3A9cmVzdWx0LGJsYW5rfHNjYWxlPXJlc3VsdCwwLDQ4MCxXaGl0ZXxjb21wcmVzc2lvbj05NXw=

Well, Poirot is superior to me. And remember, hes Belgique!

Written By: Tia on 12/16/06 at 9:40 pm

Does that mean Jean Claude Van Damme doesn't exist?  ::)  :o  ;D
i think it means he's either a member of the elite left sent to fool us, or he's an unwitting dupe of the liberal elite who's been brainwashed into thinking he's belgian. i'm not quite clear on that.

either way, he's definitely not belgian because belgium, like the moon and wisconsin, is all an elaborate lie.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/16/06 at 10:46 pm

i think it means he's either a member of the elite left sent to fool us, or he's an unwitting dupe of the liberal elite who's been brainwashed into thinking he's belgian. i'm not quite clear on that.

either way, he's definitely not belgian because belgium, like the moon and wisconsin, is all an elaborate lie.

No love for my Poirot reference? I wish we lived in the day where a man could challenge another man to a duel! >:(

Written By: Tia on 12/16/06 at 10:50 pm

Not only would the Left have us believe in the existence of Belgium, they would have us think their illusory nation is a Shangri-La. Typical of the Liberal Media, we have been inundated with pro-Belgium propaganda: Belgians' alleged superiority in the art of chocolate making; the reputed nutritional value of "Brussels sprouts"; how all quality diamonds can only be acquired through dealers in the mythical city of Antwerp; How french fries are actually a Belgian invention; and the "superior" martial artistry of Jean Claude Van Damme, the "Muscles from Brussels". Furthermore, Mystery! on PBS (need I say more?) regularly depicts Belgians -- such as Agatha Christie's "Hercule Poirot" -- as personable sleuths who always outsmart non-Belgians and uncover pro-Belgium versions of "The Truth."

When will the Liberals learn that you cannot keep the real truth from us?"

all part of the belgian plot, hercule. why do you hate america?

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/16/06 at 10:52 pm

When will the Liberals learn that you cannot keep the real truth from us?"

all part of the belgian plot, hercule. why do you hate america?

;D Well done. I shall karma you now because it pleases me.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/16/06 at 11:11 pm

It has to be real 'cause...I like the food.  ;D

Belgian Waffles
Brussels Sprouts
Profiteroles

Although now come to think of it, it may be a conspiracy, as they offer up delectible "ROUND" food. 

Danger, danger Will Robinson, danger!

Written By: Tia on 12/16/06 at 11:15 pm

Belgian Waffles
Brussels Sprouts
Profiteroles

Although now come to think of it, it may be a conspiracy, as they offer up delectible "ROUND" food. 

ha! he thought of the waffles.

"Where do the waffles come from?

"Belgian Waffles," fabled for being superior to normal waffles, were actually created in New York in 1964 during the World's Fair. Then called "Bel-Gem" waffles, they were sold inside the four-acre Belgium Village, a "recreation" of a 19th century Belgium village. Actually, this was the first time in history that a Belgian village had ever been physically constructed."

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/16/06 at 11:31 pm

Belgian Waffles
Brussels Sprouts
Profiteroles

You're one of the few people I know who likes brussels sprouts.  I love them, but no one else in my family does.  I'm like, "you eat cabbage, right?  They are just baby cabbages."

Written By: La Roche on 12/17/06 at 2:22 am

You're one of the few people I know who likes brussels sprouts.  I love them, but no one else in my family does.  I'm like, "you eat cabbage, right?  They are just baby cabbages."

.. they're called Brussel Sprouts.. not Brussels.. I thought???

They're delicious.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/17/06 at 2:23 am

They're delicious.

I saw someone else say brussels sprouts, and I thought maybe I had it wrong.  Either way, they're baby cabbages and they're damn tasty.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/17/06 at 2:37 am

They're delicious.

oops...I have an excess of s's.

Written By: La Roche on 12/17/06 at 2:39 am

oops...I have an excess of s's.

Say that after a peanut butter sandwich./

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/17/06 at 2:42 am

Say that after a peanut butter sandwich./

Sure...right after I say She sells seashells down by the seashore  (I wouldn't stand in front of me whilst I am doing this though)  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/17/06 at 2:43 am

Sure...right after I say She sells seashells down by the seashore  (I wouldn't stand in front of me whilst I am doing this though)  ;D

We'd need that sneeze guard from the Old Country Buffet.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/17/06 at 2:44 am

We'd need that sneeze guard from the Old Country Buffet.

I wonder if they still have Brussel Sprouts on the buffet there?  Ours went out of business awhile ago.

Written By: Tia on 12/17/06 at 8:30 am

i think it's "brussels." that's the name of the city.i mean so-called "city."

google's right there, at the top of the screen, but i'm too lazy to use it... ;D

Written By: La Roche on 12/17/06 at 11:16 am

i think it's "brussels." that's the name of the city.i mean so-called "city."

google's right there, at the top of the screen, but i'm too lazy to use it... ;D

No.. it is 'Brussel sprouts' They are not something that the city of Brussels owns.

Written By: Paul on 12/17/06 at 11:33 am

Belgium...

...quite possibly the only country that makes a point of putting sauerkraut on their hotdogs*...

...no wonder no-one likes the place!

(* I speak from (shudder) experience!)

Written By: La Roche on 12/17/06 at 11:38 am

Belgium...

...quite possibly the only country that makes a point of putting sauerkraut on their hotdogs*...

... Sauerkraut is possibly the best invention ever.

GET OUT YOU COMMUNIST PIGDOG!!!

Written By: Tia on 12/17/06 at 11:44 am

No.. it is 'Brussel sprouts' They are not something that the city of Brussels owns.
it is if you're trying to be wrong. :)

Written By: Paul on 12/17/06 at 11:46 am

... Sauerkraut is possibly the best invention ever.

...should you wish to starve yourself quite rapidly... :P

Written By: La Roche on 12/17/06 at 11:54 am

it is if you're trying to be wrong. :)

Darling, you don't have to try.

Written By: La Roche on 12/17/06 at 11:55 am

...should you wish to starve yourself quite rapidly... :P

:o :o I can't believe you don't dig the sauerkraut!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/06 at 12:21 pm

The city is called Brussels, hence "Brussels sprouts."  The possessive tense of Brussels would be Brussels' (with an apostrophe). 
However, "Brussel sprouts" is considered acceptable nowadays.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brussels

Written By: Tia on 12/17/06 at 12:25 pm

i think we're all getting in touch with our inner nallys. ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/06 at 12:29 pm

i think we're all getting in touch with our inner nallys. ;D

WTF is an "inner nally"?
???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/17/06 at 12:45 pm

Belgium...

You can get sauerkraut on hot dogs in Chicago.  They're yummy that way....just add some mustard.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/17/06 at 12:46 pm

WTF is an "inner nally"?
???

Grammar nazi.

Written By: Tia on 12/17/06 at 12:53 pm

WTF is an "inner nally"?
???
it's the same thing as "the nally within."

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/17/06 at 4:23 pm

Saurkraut - another cabbage product.  Yum!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/17/06 at 4:24 pm

we all know about y'all's liberal belgian agenda dude!

words really can't express how much i love this. it's cooler than cool; it's downright richardsian!

Belgium is, and has always been, a leftist ruse; a device applied to  propagate the Liberal agenda throughout the world. Hijacking a real country for this use would be difficult at best; the people living there wouldn't stand for it (i.e. the fall of communism.) Thus the idea to invent an imaginary country, insert it into the global consciousness through the perversion of history, and use it as a tool of manipulation was born.

Using the assumed voice of a nation, the Elite Left seeks to insinuate itself into world discussions, quietly changing the topic of conversations with a casual remark here, a whisper there. Need proof? The fictitious country was a founding member of the European Community (which is, as you should be aware, step one in the march to the One World Government,) most of who's governing institutions are supposedly based in Brussels. As are the headquarters of the Customs Cooperations Council (an Orwellian name if I ever heard one,) and other international bodies, unimportant and seemingly harmless now, that will have unaccountable jurisdiction to pass regulations and levy tariffs (read "taxation without representation") over any future global citizens.

The Elite Left have been hard at work dissimulating our reality. Through the deft use of relativism and red herrings like political correctness, they have been able to slip Belgium into history and geography without anyone noticing. The cleverness of this is almost laudable. Belgium history was designed with just enough territorial skirmishes, political struggles, and colonialism to make it blend in with the rest of Europe. That, combined with the co-opting of French and German historical figures and events creates an alternate history that meshes with the real one. Where does the contrivances stop and reality begin? What's more, under the auspices of the Liberal controlled Department of Education, our children are being forced to believe in these lies. History has been revised so many times that it's no wonder public schools want more money; they keep having to buy new history books!

When will the Liberals learn that you cannot keep the real truth from us?

I can hear the Left now: "But how could the existence of an entire country, albeit a small one, be a hoax?" Radical art types will, of course, ramble on and on about Rubens, Van Dyck, and other assumed Belgian artists that they learned about in their "Liberal Education" (read Liberal Indoctrination.) Public school teachers would point out that if it weren't for Belgium, there would be a blank spot between France and Netherlands on our maps, forgetting that the data for our maps came from the CIA-controlled spy-satellites. Some aging hippies may even claim to have bought drugs there, but of what value are the delusions of a stoned counter-culturalist. They will all vehemently disagree with you if you DARE doubt the existence of Belgium. They actually believe in it.

The answer to how the sham of Belgium's existence could be pulled off is simple: we weren't vigilant enough. We let them gain the power over us needed to distort reality to fit their fiendish plans. But it's not too late. The truth can still be made known.
But...but...I've been to Belgium! I could've sworn I was there! I even went to Brussels and drove past NATO headquarters, and there was this 400-ft tower with a giant eyeball on it, and the eyeball looked down at me and everything started turning white and...and...

Al likes boobies.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/06 at 8:07 pm

it's the same thing as "the nally within."

Are you talking about the board member known as "Nally"?  I don't remember enough about his/her posts to get the reference.

Grammar nazi.

Uh, hullooo!  Tia's grammar is correct in that sentence.  I just didn't get the reference.
8)

Written By: Tia on 12/17/06 at 8:08 pm

Are you talking about the board member known as "Nally"?  I don't remember enough about his/her posts to get the reference.

well, the "N" in his name is lowercase, for one thing.

he's big on issuing minor corrections, is the point.

Written By: Tia on 12/17/06 at 8:09 pm

But...but...I've been to Belgium! I could've sworn I was there! I even went to Brussels and drove past NATO headquarters, and there was this 400-ft tower with a giant eyeball on it, and the eyeball looked down at me and everything started turning white and...and...

Al likes boobies.
uhoh! looks like we may have lost another one to the Belgian Conspiracy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/06 at 8:11 pm

well, the "N" in his name is lowercase, for one thing.

he's big on issuing minor corrections, is the point.

Then I must be channeling nally!
;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/17/06 at 9:35 pm

Uh, hullooo!  Tia's grammar is correct in that sentence.  I just didn't get the reference.
8)

Someone didn't get my post.

"Inner nally" = "nally within" = grammar nazi

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/06 at 12:44 am

Someone didn't get my post.

"Inner nally" = "nally within" = grammar nazi

Uhhh...alrighty then!
:D

Written By: McDonald on 12/21/06 at 2:19 pm

This story was covered heavily by the Qu

Written By: Tia on 12/22/06 at 3:44 pm

i love this story. it's so weird.

Check for new replies or respond here...