» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Comptroller Hevesi (D-NY)

Written By: witchain on 12/23/06 at 11:59 am

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061223/NEWS01/612230321

This man was recently re-elected as the chief financial officer of NY State even though he was being investigated for fraud and thievery. He stole from the tax-payers and they voted for him anyway!
Yesterday he plead guilty to a felony and resigned his position. DUH! Our new governor is partly to blame (Spitzer), as he defended the b@stard throughout the elections.
Now the position will be filled by some Council, and not the people's vote.
I guess they get what they deserve...

And yes- I did vote against Hevesi, Cuomo, and Spitzer.

Subject: Re: Comptroller Hevesi (D-NY)

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/23/06 at 12:10 pm

Hey...we (the State, not me) voted Hillary in and look at her questionable past......only in New York....

Sadly, I wasn't part of the majority, we voted in Spitzer, Hevesi and the Hill again....guess I'd better get ready to sell  my business,,,because I've never done as well when a Demoncrat was in office....

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 12:19 pm

Sadly, I wasn't part of the majority, we voted in Spitzer, Hevesi and the Hill again....guess I'd better get ready to sell the my business,,,because I've never done as well when a Demoncrat was in office....

I can relate. My dad's business made a lot better money back in the 90s while Clinton was in office. Oh wait...

Written By: witchain on 12/23/06 at 4:33 pm

I can relate. My dad's business made a lot better money back in the 90s while Clinton was in office. Oh wait...

So- You don't pick fights with Slayer, eh?
Does this ring a bell?
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=23860.0
A lot of bi-polar schizophrenics have high supposed IQ's, ya know.

What did your post have to do with the topic, DUDE?
This is about NY State government, not your daddy's business in the 90's.
Where are you from again? Texas?

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 5:06 pm

Does this ring a bell?
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=23860.0
A lot of bi-polar schizophrenics have high supposed IQ's, ya know.

What did your post have to do with the topic, DUDE?
This is about NY State government, not your daddy's business in the 90's.
Where are you from again? Texas?

Mind your business.

Written By: witchain on 12/23/06 at 5:14 pm

Mind your business.

It is my business. I was trying to have a discussion about our State's politicians and you barged in with your petty sh*t (again).

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 5:19 pm

It is my business. I was trying to have a discussion about our State's politicians and you barged in with your petty sh*t (again).

The comment he made about doing better business under Republicans was asinine and I was pointing it out by mentioning my father did well under Clinton. How well a particular person does economically has nothing to do with anything.

Written By: witchain on 12/23/06 at 5:20 pm

The comment he made about doing better business under Republicans was asinine and I was pointing it out by mentioning my father did well under Clinton.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 5:22 pm

So what? YOU'RE picking a fight with me now. Those who live in glass houses...

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/23/06 at 5:34 pm

The comment he made about doing better business under Republicans was asinine and I was pointing it out by mentioning my father did well under Clinton. How well a particular person does economically has nothing to do with anything.

Dude, one question.  Have you EVER lived and done business in NY State?

If not, how can you have any idea if the comment I made was asinine or not??  You are sticking your nose into a thread that has no pertinence to you whatsoever, again.

I doubt very highly that you've ever had access to my business records, so how can you refute what I stated in my previous post on here??  Lay off Dude, once again you have no reason to be posting on this thread, even with my comment because you've never lived here.  You've lived in Texas, not NY.  Sorry, but I'm growing tired of you always stalking me around here and looking to make exception to posts I make...

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 5:36 pm

Dude, one question.  Have you EVER lived and done business in NY State?

If not, how can you have any idea if the comment I made was asinine or not??  You are sticking your nose into a thread that has no pertinence to you whatsoever, again.

I doubt very highly that you've ever had access to my business records, so how can you refute what I stated in my previous post on here??  Lay off Dude, once again you have no reason to be posting on this thread, even with my comment because you've never lived here.  You've lived in Texas, not NY.  Sorry, but I'm growing tired of you always stalking me around here and looking to make exception to posts I make...

I honestly wasn't trying to get on your case just to get on your case, I thought it was an odd comment of you to make.

How does your economic success personally have any bearing on the issue?

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 5:38 pm

And to witchain: Why defend esoxslayer? He is the same man who ignored me when I tried to apologize to him and get along, and even went on to send me PMs teasing me about the fact he was going to have sex and I wasn't. It was very immature on his part.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/23/06 at 5:45 pm

I honestly wasn't trying to get on your case just to get on your case, I thought it was an odd comment of you to make.

How does your economic success personally have any bearing on the issue?

Did you read what this witchain guy wrote??  The newly elected Governor, taking his post on January 1st, actually endorsed this guy Hevesi, even though it was known that he was misappropriating state funds before the elections.  Hevesi was already paying back money he got caught using wrongfully. 

Great, we've elected a new Governor thats actually endorsed a crook caught in the act...both of whom just happen to be Democrats.  And, when Cuomo's father was Governor of NY, business suffered greatly, as did jobs, municipal projects, etc...not to mention squeezing every nickle they could out of upstate, all the while using us up here as nothing more than money makers to support NYC.

Dude, you don't know anything about NY politics, you have no idea if my statement is accurate or not, so leave it alone...

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 5:56 pm

Alright then I guess I can't have an opinion because I don't live in New York. ::)

And I see you're not going to answer my PM...AGAIN.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/23/06 at 6:02 pm

Alright then I guess I can't have an opinion because I don't live in New York. ::)

I just don't understand why you seem to make a post in the threads I post in and ALWAYS offer a conflicting view, especially in this one where you've never done business(let alone own one) in NYS. 

How can you possibly have any valid opinion about doing business in NYS unless you've owned a business in NYS??

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/23/06 at 6:05 pm

How can you possibly have any valid opinion about doing business in NYS unless you've owned a business in NYS??

How can anyone have a valid opinion on anything they haven't done? Some people have never gone to war. Should they not have an opinion on it?

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/23/06 at 6:11 pm

How can anyone have a valid opinion on anything they haven't done? Some people have never gone to war. Should they not have an opinion on it?

Now THAT, for a supposedly highly intelligent person, is comparing apples to oranges.

Dude, I've done business in NYS...I've lived through(and paid dearly for) the chance to own my own business here.  I've done it through both Democratic and Republican administrations.  You, especially in NY, and I'd dare venture a guess, due to your age, anywhere, have NOT run a business as of yet.

I know what the democrats do to small business owners in NYS...I also know what both parties do to a small business owner if they happen to be male and white.  You do not, at least in NYS.

The bottom line is that you once again chose to take exception to a post I made, even though you have no valid reason for doing so.  I made a statement based on fact, and track record..what did you base your comment on???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/23/06 at 7:37 pm

Now THAT, for a supposedly highly intelligent person, is comparing apples to oranges.

Dude, I've done business in NYS...I've lived through(and paid dearly for) the chance to own my own business here.  I've done it through both Democratic and Republican administrations.  You, especially in NY, and I'd dare venture a guess, due to your age, anywhere, have NOT run a business as of yet.

I know what the democrats do to small business owners in NYS...I also know what both parties do to a small business owner if they happen to be male and white.  You do not, at least in NYS.

The bottom line is that you once again chose to take exception to a post I made, even though you have no valid reason for doing so.  I made a statement based on fact, and track record..what did you base your comment on???

It's the same under both parties and varies little state by state.*  Thanks to the naked corruption of Enron and Halliburton, even conservatives...even conservatives...are figuring out the truth:  Big government is big business and big business is big government. 

The last thing big business wants to do is compete. 

*Though if you're going to start The Very Big Evil Corporation, you'll establish company headquarters in Delaware.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/24/06 at 10:32 am

Witchain....here's a quick compilation of what the democrats have been doing in NYS since 2004....

>>Welcome to Albany, where former gubernatorial hopeful Tom Suozzi liked to note that more lawmakers get indicted every term than lose their seats at the polls.

Sadly, he was right: Since 2004, only five incumbents have lost general elections - roughly half the number who have faced criminal charges or resigned in disgrace over the same period.

"It's a crime wave," said the New York Public Interest Research Group's Blair Horner. "And in Albany, there's never a cop on the beat."

Here's a list of capitol shenanigans since 2004:

# Senate Majority Leader Joe Bruno (R-Rensselaer): The state's top Republican is under investigation by the FBI for his business dealings.

# State Controller Alan Hevesi: The Queens Democrat pleaded guilty to defrauding the public and resigned Friday for ordering staffers to chauffeur his ailing wife over a three-year period, running up a $208,000 tab that he only recently repaid.

# Sen. Efrain Gonzalez (D-Bronx): Pleaded not guilty this month to charges that he spent $420,000 in tax dollars on personal expenses, including a luxury apartment in the Dominican Republic, a cigar company he owns on the island nation, and even college tuition for his daughter.

# Assemblyman Brian McLaughlin (D-Queens): Charged in October with plundering $2.2 million from taxpayers and unions, including $95,000 from the Eastchester Little League.

# Assemblywoman Diane Gordon (D-Brooklyn): Charged with bribery in July after she was nabbed on videotape demanding that a developer build her a $500,000 dream home in exchange for steering a city-owned lot into his hands. "You get reward, I get reward," said Gordon, who was reelected in November.

# Assemblyman Ryan Karben (D-Rockland): Resigned last May amid allegations that he made sexual advances to male legislative staffers.

# Sen. Kevin Parker (D-Brooklyn): Arrested in 2005 for punching a traffic cop who had given him a $55 ticket. As part of a plea deal, he attended anger management classes and was later reelected.

# Assemblyman Clarence Norman (D-Brooklyn): Resigned in 2005 after being convicted of illegally pressuring a lobbyist to pay $10,000 in campaign expenses.

# Sen. Ada Smith (D-Queens): Convicted of throwing hot coffee into an aide's eyes. The "Wild Woman of Albany" later lost her primary.

# Assemblywoman Crystal Peoples (D-Buffalo): Sued in 2004 by Attorney General Eliot Spitzer to recover $18,000 in state lottery fees owed by her family's liquor store.

# Assemblyman Roger Green (D-Brooklyn): Resigned in 2004 after pleading guilty to accepting state reimbursement for trips he got for free from a Florida company seeking state contracts. He ran again and won.

# Sen. Guy Velella (R-Bronx): Pleaded guilty in 2004 to channeling funds to his father's law firm in exchange for state contracts. He was jailed, released by an obscure city board, then rejailed after a public outcry.

Please note that 10 of the 12 persons listed are Democrats.

And now we've got a Spitzer and a Cuomo in higer ranking positions??  How wonderful.  Taxes are gonna skyrocket once again.....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/25/06 at 12:51 am

Esox,

How many total Democrats are in eleced office in NY versus how many are in some kind of trouble with law.  NY is predominantly a Democratic state.  What is the proportion of Dems to Republicans.

You know I'm not excusing any crooked politicians here.  You can take 10 troublemakers out of several hundred politicians and tar the whole lot. 

I don't care which party (D,R) a politician is in, the system is rank with corruption and incompetence.  Too much money in campaigns and lobbying.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/25/06 at 7:01 am

Esox,

How many total Democrats are in eleced office in NY versus how many are in some kind of trouble with law.  NY is predominantly a Democratic state.  What is the proportion of Dems to Republicans.

You know I'm not excusing any crooked politicians here.  You can take 10 troublemakers out of several hundred politicians and tar the whole lot. 

I don't care which party (D,R) a politician is in, the system is rank with corruption and incompetence.  Too much money in campaigns and lobbying.

I know you aren't excusing any crooked politicians, and neither am I for that matter.  I'll do some research and see what the ratios are...

Written By: La Roche on 12/25/06 at 7:20 am

Esox,

In terms of state-wide elections.

8 Republicans and 4 Democrats.

Governor - Republican
Senators - Two Democrats
Congressmen - Seven Republicans and Two Democrats.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/25/06 at 7:42 am

I'm amazed..here the thread starts out talking about the state government and suddenly it gets changed by you to a national level government, and you call my post asinine.....

Your above comment has so many conflicting statements in those 2 sentences I could write a book.....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/25/06 at 1:44 pm

I'm amazed..here the thread starts out talking about the state government and suddenly it gets changed by you to a national level government, and you call my post asinine.....

Your above comment has so many conflicting statements in those 2 sentences I could write a book.....

Maybe he meant Hillary!  Oh, wait a minute...

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/27/06 at 1:57 pm

It appears that the new front runner for Comptroller the Governor elect has in mind is a Republican.....

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/27/06 at 3:41 pm

It's the same under both parties and varies little state by state.*  Thanks to the naked corruption of Enron and Halliburton, even conservatives...even conservatives...are figuring out the truth:  Big government is big business and big business is big government. 

The last thing big business wants to do is compete. 

*Though if you're going to start The Very Big Evil Corporation, you'll establish company headquarters in Delaware.

Just some facts dug up today with some research:

December 27, 2006 -- ALBANY - The cost of doing business in New York is a whopping $35.3 billion more than the national average, an alarming new study shows.

New York businesses are paying significantly more than their out-of-state counterparts in state and local taxes, as well as for health care, energy and workers' compensation, said the report, released yesterday by the state Business Council's Public Policy Institute.

The additional costs add up to an average $1,830 a year for every state resident or $5,015 for every private-sector job.

Taxes pose the greatest burden for New York's businesses. Previous studies have shown New Yorkers pay the highest combined state and property taxes in the nation.

New York businesses pay $8.1 billion more in property taxes, $14.4 billion more in income taxes and $2.8 billion more in corporate business taxes.

New York businesses also pay nearly $7 billion more in energy costs, $1.7 billion more in health care and $1.3 billion in additional workers' comp, compared with the national average.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/27/06 at 5:55 pm

Just some facts dug up today with some research:

December 27, 2006 -- ALBANY - The cost of doing business in New York is a whopping $35.3 billion more than the national average, an alarming new study shows.

New York businesses are paying significantly more than their out-of-state counterparts in state and local taxes, as well as for health care, energy and workers' compensation, said the report, released yesterday by the state Business Council's Public Policy Institute.

The additional costs add up to an average $1,830 a year for every state resident or $5,015 for every private-sector job.

Taxes pose the greatest burden for New York's businesses. Previous studies have shown New Yorkers pay the highest combined state and property taxes in the nation.

New York businesses pay $8.1 billion more in property taxes, $14.4 billion more in income taxes and $2.8 billion more in corporate business taxes.

New York businesses also pay nearly $7 billion more in energy costs, $1.7 billion more in health care and $1.3 billion in additional workers' comp, compared with the national average.

Wait a minute, wait a minute, you're saying taxes in New York state are higher than average.  You're not saying why.  You are implying it's because of social programs, but I'm not buying that.  New York state is the third most populous state in the country.  People are more expensive than livestock.  If you cut taxes to where the Right wants them, you wouldn't be able to manage such a gigantic economy.  I'm not saying taxation in New York state doesn't need reform and redirection.  Even if state government ran like a well-oiled machine, you would still have to pay higher taxes than you would if you lived in Montana on the dole of the BLM.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/27/06 at 6:24 pm

MS..I'm not implying anything.

In fact, if you'll notice, the 2 expenses listed for health care and workmans comp are significantly lower than any of the other stated expenses, such as property tax, income tax and corporate business tax.

We pay 7 billion more in energy costs.  There are major pipelines that come across from Canada here, where back from the days when I worked in the petroleum industry the cost of product was far cheaper than out own domestic oil.

Just in the energy costs, 7 billion dollars divided among the 21 million of the population is enough to make you wonder.

This state needs far more than "reform", it needs a complete overhaul. 

I have to factor in an additional 33% on every job I bid in order to meet the taxation rates and coverage for my employees.  Even if I were a one man operation, I'd still need to factor in just over 25% to every job in order to pay the rates required of me.

Now, if the new Governor actually does something to break the track record of former Democrat Governors and legislators in NYS, that may change, however, with the past track record it appears it won't happen. 

The NYS thruway was supposed to become toll free back in the tenure of Cuomo...didn't happen.  Mishandling of the thruway authority and the revenue it generated caused the system to be unable to have a coffer ready to make the thruway self sustaining in the future.

Our taxes on gasoline have steadily risen for the past couple decades.  In fact, back in 1990 or 1991,(The Cuomo years) the state in it's infinite wisdom changed a tax on gasoline and diesel fuel from a "state tax" to a "gross receipts tax" and took the rate from 2.25% to almost 9% overnight.  They changed the name of the tax to make it appear that it was the oil companies who added an additional charge, and not one word of this was mentioned in the news.  People went to bed on a Monday night with the gas being one price, and next morning it was nearly 7 cents higher with no explanation whatsoever. 

One thing you'll see about me MS is that I don't "imply"...I try to call an ace an ace.....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/28/06 at 1:03 am

I remember the bumper stickers:
"It's Mario Cuomo's Fault"

So I guess Pataki is just ineffective if things are still so terrible after 11 years.  I suppose you could blame it on the Dems in control of the legislature, but are you sure it's partisan?

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/28/06 at 8:11 am

I remember the bumper stickers:
"It's Mario Cuomo's Fault"

So I guess Pataki is just ineffective if things are still so terrible after 11 years.  I suppose you could blame it on the Dems in control of the legislature, but are you sure it's partisan?

I don't know if I'd call Pataki "ineffective" in a true sense of the word, he's done a lot of good for this state.  He instituted the "STAR" program, giving breaks to senior citizens via tax rebates, it's also helped many a younger age group as well.  And, if I remember correctly, the states surplus revenue this year hit the 1.1 billion dollar mark.  He has been ineffective at getting a state budget approved by the deadline for quite a few years, although all blame for that cannot be laid on his shoulders.

He's done wonders for adding acres (and he broke the one million acre mark) of preserved lands in the state.

One of NY's biggest problems is NYC, at least in the eyes of many.  The "machine " called NYC is incapable of being a self sustainable entity no matter what approach has been tried.  Upstate for years (and by that reference I mean anything north of Albany, which is most of the state), has been ignored for years by previous administrations.  The economy up this way had floundered under the Cuomo administration and in his tenure not one thing was brought forth that would alleviate the issues facing the north country.  I'm pretty sure that if you do research, you'll find that while he was in office, taxes took the largest increase in the states history.

Anyway, this was not the original point of the thread. The point of the thread was concerning re-electing a crook as the states comptroller.  He did not carry the upstate/north country area, he was carried by the voters from Albany southward.  Spitzer did nothing to address it in his campaign, choosing to actually endorse him rather than blast him.  Now, Spitzer has done good for NY, but, if he continues to do in his new capacity what he did in his previous position, then he may clean up the corruption that is NYC politics.  Since he is Democrat and the majority of the rotten apples are proven to be democrats in that area, I doubt highly that he will do so.  If he goes after the cesspool of NYC politics the way he went after business that was doing wrong in NYS, and does so with the same tenacity, he may make a difference, but only time will give us that answer.  I hope he does, because until the pork barrel is removed from the NYC area, then NO Governor will be effective.  It's pretty much up to the Democrats to police their own, just as it is the Republicans to police their own, because as soon as the republicans start going after the democrats, the dems will start calling foul and vice versa.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/28/06 at 2:42 pm

^Is there any state where politics aren't rife with graft and corruption? Texas can be quite corrupt too.

Written By: witchain on 12/28/06 at 5:17 pm

Anyway, this was not the original point of the thread. The point of the thread was concerning re-electing a crook as the states comptroller.  He did not carry the upstate/north country area, he was carried by the voters from Albany southward.  Spitzer did nothing to address it in his campaign, choosing to actually endorse him rather than blast him.  Now, Spitzer has done good for NY, but, if he continues to do in his new capacity what he did in his previous position, then he may clean up the corruption that is NYC politics.  Since he is Democrat and the majority of the rotten apples are proven to be democrats in that area, I doubt highly that he will do so.  If he goes after the cesspool of NYC politics the way he went after business that was doing wrong in NYS, and does so with the same tenacity, he may make a difference, but only time will give us that answer.  I hope he does, because until the pork barrel is removed from the NYC area, then NO Governor will be effective.  It's pretty much up to the Democrats to police their own, just as it is the Republicans to police their own, because as soon as the republicans start going after the democrats, the dems will start calling foul and vice versa.

Well said, sir.  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/28/06 at 10:49 pm

The point of the thread was concerning re-electing a crook as the states comptroller.  He did not carry the upstate/north country area, he was carried by the voters from Albany southward. 

Maybe we need to stop this one person one vote thing. 

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/29/06 at 7:37 am

Maybe we need to stop this one person one vote thing. 

Maybe what we need to do is somehow overhaul the system.

Yeah, I know, impossible..no way you could ever stop people from accepting money in order to vote a certain way, right??

In a county down in Oklahoma, a vote can be bought for a 6 pack of beer.  The local DA knows about this and the politicians who are doing it, and does nothing about it.

It seems to me, (and this is just my own personal thought), that if a person was splashed all over the headlines for misappropriating state tax monies, etc, that people would not vote for him, unless there were some sort of "transaction" to gain a vote.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/06 at 10:03 am

In a county down in Oklahoma, a vote can be bought for a 6 pack of beer.  The local DA knows about this and the politicians who are doing it, and does nothing about it.

If your ballot is a can of Coors...you might be a redneck!

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/29/06 at 2:12 pm

Maybe what we need to do is somehow overhaul the system.

Yeah, I know, impossible..no way you could ever stop people from accepting money in order to vote a certain way, right??

It seems to me, (and this is just my own personal thought), that if a person was splashed all over the headlines for misappropriating state tax monies, etc, that people would not vote for him, unless there were some sort of "transaction" to gain a vote.

So how much did Bush pay people to vote for him in '04?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/06 at 4:55 pm

So how much did Bush pay people to vote for him in '04?

The Bush brothers paid hired thugs to stop people who weren't going to vote for Bush from voting at all. 
Florida in 2000.  Ohio in 2004.

You've got laws in some states disenfranchising convicted felons for life.  It's time for some "judicial activism" to strke those from the books.  Voting is a right not a privilege.  I'm not interested in any sanctimonious garbage about "those who violate the laws of our society..." 
If you have the money for private counsel, you can beat the rap.  These laws insure fewer poor people have the vote, and that's what Republicans want.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/29/06 at 5:07 pm

The Bush brothers paid hired thugs to stop people who weren't going to vote for Bush from voting at all. 
Florida in 2000.  Ohio in 2004.

If you have the money for private counsel, you can beat the rap.  These laws insure fewer poor people have the vote, and that's what Republicans want.

So is that statement to imply that Democrats don't "beat the rap" in the system as well??

If your statement is accurate, why then is there still a judicial system and why hasn't it been eliminated by either present or past administrations??  I'm confused, but it sounds to me like a conspiracy theory. 

We're going off on tangents here.  Somebody could, after reading your comment, make an issue with the Democrats wanting a society dependent on Government, thereby guaranteeing a vote from every voter who took advantage of the dollars doled out by Government rather than being a productive member of society.  You think for one minute if all the illegal immigrants in this country are suddenly pardoned and allowed to stay here without going through proper channels that they aren't going to feel an allegiance to the people that made it possible??  Explain how that to me isn't buying a vote in the same manner as blocking somebody elses right to vote..the end result is the same, the vote is skewed and not an accurate representation of the peoples choice.

Reform is needed in all parties..period.  For every finger pointing detail the Dems can come up with, the Reps can do the same, and we stagnate as a society.  This "he said, she said" crap is just that...crap.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/06 at 5:24 pm

Somebody could, after reading your comment, make an issue with the Democrats wanting a society dependent on Government, thereby guaranteeing a vote from every voter who took advantage of the dollars doled out by Government rather than being a productive member of society. 

The Dems might want that kind of society, but nobody delivers it better than right-wing Republicans.  The productive members of society pay their taxes, and the leeches of the GOP throw all that money down the military-industrial rat-hole.  For every sturdy beggar on welfare, there are a thousand men and women working longer, harder, making less, and amassing more debt than their parents did before Reagan's "magic of the marketplace."  When my father was a young man in 1960, you could drop out of high school and still get a job that would let you buy a home and raise a family.  Now we've got millions of Gen-Xers with post-graduate degrees working as service clerks and waiters.  Hooray!  Hooray!  In 1960 we were the biggest lender nation in the world and the top marginal tax rate was 90% (not that rich folks actually paid that much given all the loopholes).  Today, communist China owns are asses, and it wasn't Democratic leadership that got us into that pickle!

Oh, nice hypothetical about the Dems.  The problem is, poor folks on the government dole don't vote, and that really rips my heart in two because they continue to get screwed by both parties!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sad2.gif

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/29/06 at 5:31 pm

Oh, nice hypothetical about the Dems.  The problem is, poor folks on the government dole don't vote, and that really rips my heart in two because they continue to get screwed by both parties!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sad2.gif

Poor people on government bennies don't vote??  Is it against the law for them to do so??

What do you have as proof of that comment??

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/06 at 5:57 pm

Poor people on government bennies don't vote??  Is it against the law for them to do so??

What do you have as proof of that comment??

You know what I mean.  The less money and less education you have, the less likely you are to vote.  Of course it's not against the law...not yet!  The correlation between income and voting is general knowledge.  You want "proof," go to google and look for it yourself.  You'll find it.  I'm not your man Friday!
:P

Written By: Tia on 12/29/06 at 5:59 pm

well, plus, even if they DO show up to vote, they're much more likely to lose their vote in substandard machines, have further to go to their polling place, encounter longer lines, be harassed, etc.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/29/06 at 6:17 pm

You know what I mean.  The less money and less education you have, the less likely you are to vote.  Of course it's not against the law...not yet!  The correlation between income and voting is general knowledge.  You want "proof," go to google and look for it yourself.  You'll find it.  I'm not your man Friday!
:P

So, less educated people don't vote and the higher educated ones do.....interesting.....brings to mind a tangent I could go off on but, never mind.....

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/29/06 at 6:19 pm

well, plus, even if they DO show up to vote, they're much more likely to lose their vote in substandard machines,

So, the outcome of the elections in November are attributed (in part) to votes being lost??

Written By: KKay on 12/29/06 at 6:24 pm

i have to re-read all this and then comment. i work for board of elections.

Written By: Tia on 12/29/06 at 6:29 pm

So, the outcome of the elections in November are attributed (in part) to votes being lost??
well, the disadvantaged tend to vote dem or independent so i'd imagine correcting for the separate-and-unequal voting apparatuses in poorer neighborhoods (not to mention the eggregious redistricting that's gone on the last decade or so) would only have made the democratic margin wider. but the short answer is yes, it was a factor.

i'd be curious about what tia -- er, kkay -- thinks. she works in election stuff and i know she's always talking about how much she hates it when poor people vote.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/06 at 9:32 pm

I get the impression esoxlayer has a decidedly low opinion of poor folks, as in "they get what they deserve because they're shiftless and lazy."  I'm not trying to put words in the guy's mouth, but that's what he seems to be skirting around.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/29/06 at 9:42 pm

I get the impression esoxlayer has a decidedly low opinion of poor folks, as in "they get what they deserve because they're shiftless and lazy."  I'm not trying to put words in the guy's mouth, but that's what he seems to be skirting around.

I can't wait to hear how you came to that conclusion......

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/06 at 9:52 pm

I can't wait to hear how you came to that conclusion......

Not a conclusion, sir. Just a suspicion.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/29/06 at 10:01 pm

Not a conclusion, sir. Just a suspicion.

Then by all means, please explain to me how you have come to have those "suspicions", since I see absolutely nothing in anything I've said that could even render the slightest chance I may feel that way.............

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/29/06 at 10:09 pm

The Dems might want that kind of society, but nobody delivers it better than right-wing Republicans.  The productive members of society pay their taxes, and the leeches of the GOP throw all that money down the military-industrial rat-hole. 

Interesting you mention all the money being thrown down the military-industrial rat hole.  For some strange reason, tonight, I found a rather interesting topic from the past here, 2004 to be exact, and I found this quote you made back then:

>>I don't doubt solar power got funding from the military, but where did you get that information?  It's ironic the Pentagon uses solar shingles!  Military funding isn't necessarily a bad thing in my book.  If it was not for military funding in the first place, we wouldn't be able to send messages back and forth on this medium!>>

I eagerly await.....

Written By: esoxslayer on 01/02/07 at 6:14 am

Interesting inaugural speech by Spitzer yesterday.  One of the points he made was taking a shot at the Democrats who were in office while then Governor Pataki was in, telling them they pretty much slept away the last decade.

Of course, the response from Sheldon Silver was one of "he wasn't talking about me , he was talking about somebody else".......

Written By: esoxslayer on 01/08/07 at 7:41 am

Looks like Governor Spitzer(A dem) is already leaning to the right, causing him problems with Dems who are in office in NYS now.......

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/08/nyregion/08spitzer.html?ex=1325912400&en=d5a0ff467a32ff9d&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

Written By: witchain on 01/08/07 at 8:10 am

I find that article encouraging, Mr. Esox.
Maybe he won't be as bad as I had feared...

Written By: esoxslayer on 01/08/07 at 8:18 am

I can see the Dems having a long battle with this man, especially if he pushes hard to clean up the corruption that seems to be prevalent with many of his party, as we've already discussed......

Makes me wonder if he didn't have this plan all along, ride a Dem wave and then start shifting......

Written By: esoxslayer on 01/08/07 at 12:05 pm

Yet another article in a paper today....

http://www.uticaod.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070107/NEWS/701070333/1001/NEWS01

Written By: esoxslayer on 01/15/07 at 11:15 am

Well...here we go again..wonder how many of those poor working class types are planning on attending this??

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=553837&category=REGION&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=1/15/2007

Just a small sampling for the masses:

>>Republicans are angry that people close to Spitzer are putting the squeeze on lobbyists and other special interests to pony up the $25,000 ticket cost for a chance to be in the same room with the new reform-minded governor.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/07 at 7:36 pm

Well...here we go again..wonder how many of those poor working class types are planning on attending this??

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=553837&category=REGION&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=1/15/2007

Just a small sampling for the masses:

>>Republicans are angry that people close to Spitzer are putting the squeeze on lobbyists and other special interests to pony up the $25,000 ticket cost for a chance to be in the same room with the new reform-minded governor.

I don't like it either, but what's good for the goose is good for the gander.  The GOP is P.O.'d about another political party throwing a $25,000 ticket fundraiser?  I mean Jesus Howard Johnson Christ on a f***king popsicle stick!  Hey kettle, the pot just called, said something about "black."
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/jerk.gif

Written By: esoxslayer on 01/16/07 at 12:33 pm

I don't like it either, but what's good for the goose is good for the gander.  The GOP is P.O.'d about another political party throwing a $25,000 ticket fundraiser?  I mean Jesus Howard Johnson Christ on a f***king popsicle stick!  Hey kettle, the pot just called, said something about "black."
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/jerk.gif

Somehow, I just KNEW you'd post here Max..and thank you for opening the door for me.....

The problem, and the reason I posted this link was because of the good Mr Spitzers political platform and what he used as a major headline to run his campaign.  He ran with the theme of eliminating big business and groups having a monetary leverage with politicians.  This coming from a man who raised nearly 42 million dollars in campaign contributions in his climb up the ladder to the Governorship....

Not to mention the fact that he stated this little jewel to the NY Times on December 1st:

>>The New York Times reported yesterday about Governor-elect Eliot Spitzer

Check for new replies or respond here...