» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Cloned meat safe to eat

Written By: KKay on 12/28/06 at 3:31 pm

I jsut read on CNN that they say cloned meat is as good as real meat; so much so that no one is required to label whether the meat your buying is real or cloned.

Do you think this is safe?

Subject: Re: Cloned meat safe to eat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/28/06 at 3:58 pm

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

Written By: KKay on 12/28/06 at 4:06 pm

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

yeah, brother.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/28/06 at 6:04 pm

I have no problem with it. I don't understand why it creeps some people out. If you really think about it, eating real meat is a bit creepy.

I think it would be a big step forward for mankind if we could engineer all of our food, so that it would not be necessary to consume the carcasses of other living things in order to survive. I also don't think it should be overlooked how big a potential that has for affecting/altering the human mindset.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/28/06 at 6:06 pm

Uhhh, before we start talking about cloned meat, can we at least insure the original copy is safe to eat?  

Provided they can buy off the FDA, corporations will call a food "safe" until they get their asses sued to high hell!  Of course, the Bushies will make it impossible to sue big aggie before they leave office, so shaddap and eat yer frankenburgers!
::)

They will have to push a giant PR campaign to get the public to call it whatever big aggie wants it called.  "Cloned meat" doesn't sound very appetizing!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/cowsleep.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/cowsleep.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/cowsleep.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/cowsleep.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/cowsleep.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/28/06 at 6:17 pm

I have no problem with it. I don't understand why it creeps some people out. If you really think about it, eating real meat is a bit creepy.

I think it would be a big step forward for mankind if we could engineer all of our food, so that it would not be necessary to consume the carcasses of other living things in order to survive. I also don't think it should be overlooked how big a potential that has for affecting/altering the human mindset.

Man has always been an omnivore.  We're able to consume and digest all kinds of stuff, that's part of our success as a species.   It's only been within the past 30 years that we have been tinkering with genetic codes of plants and animals.  We don't know the long-term effects.  I'm not with PETA.  I don't want to see this kind of research prohibited (I mean, if friggin' PETA ran the joint, I'd be arrested because I'm wearing a leather belt!)
Research is one thing.  Dining is another.  I would not fry up a cancerous lab rat!  I'm sorry, but tampering with the very building blocks of life as we know it and then feeding the results to your family doesn't strike me as a swell idea!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/redblob.gif

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/28/06 at 6:20 pm

Man has always been an omnivore.  We're able to consume and digest all kinds of stuff, that's part of our success as a species.  It's only been in the past 20 years that we've tinkering with genetic codes of plants and animals.  We don't know the long-term effects.  I'm not with PETA.  I don't want to see this kind of research prohibited (I mean, if friggin' PETA ran the joint, I'd be arrested because I'm wearing a leather belt!)
Research is one thing.  Dining is another.  I would not fry up a cancerous lab rat!  I'm sorry, but tampering with the very building blocks of life as we know it and then feeding the results to your family doesn't strike me as a swell idea!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/redblob.gif

Well I disagree. Its a great oppurtunity to end world hunger. At one time people might have been inclined to think harnessing electricity would be a disasterous idea.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/28/06 at 6:25 pm

Well I disagree. Its a great oppurtunity to end world hunger. At one time people might have been inclined to think harnessing electricity would be a disasterous idea.

I agree.  It might well be, but the flashing red signal means proceed with extreme caution!

A lot of people did think harnessing electricity was a bad idea.  Edison thought alternating current was extremely dangerous.  He used to kill dogs with AC current to show just how!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/28/06 at 10:20 pm

I say..no thanks.

Written By: La Roche on 12/28/06 at 10:28 pm

Ugh.

You know why there is 'world hunger'? Over population. All these suckas starving in Africa. Yo!! You live in the desert, you're going to die. You're region has never supported many people.. you're going to die. Move.

Written By: KKay on 12/28/06 at 11:24 pm

what i dislike is the lack of integrity...why NOT tell people they are eating it if it is fine?
makes me wonder.

Written By: La Roche on 12/28/06 at 11:26 pm

what i dislike is the lack of integrity...why NOT tell people they are eating it if it is fine?
makes me wonder.

Right! 'cus it's not safe!! They're gonna come to life in our guts.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/06 at 12:09 am

makes me wonder.

If somebody told you all the things you've eaten over the years that you didn't know about, you'd lose your appetite for the rest of your life!They'd have to force feed you through a tube!

I know that's not your point, but...
:-\\

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/29/06 at 12:23 am

Ugh.

You know why there is 'world hunger'? Over population. All these suckas starving in Africa. Yo!! You live in the desert, you're going to die. You're region has never supported many people.. you're going to die. Move.

I think this is just a difference in world view.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/06 at 1:13 am

I think this is just a difference in world view.

I dig what you're saying, Dude.  I just don't trust the authorities!

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/29/06 at 1:51 am

Identical twins are clones.  They happened to form as the result of a random accident upon the first division of a fertilized egg, as opposed to an in vitro separation of cells. But is the proverbial Swedish bikini babe's twin sister (her clone) not just as attractive?

And when IVF (in vitro fertilization) was first invented, the Luddites mumbled curious things about "test tube babies".  Today, even the Luddites (actually, especially the Luddites, considering their viewpoint on the 4-5 clones that sit in liquid nitrogen as the byproduct of IVF procedures) acknowledge that a twin that was created in vitro ends up just as human as the original.

But regardless of which side of the embryonic stem cell / life-begins-at-conception debate you come down on... are not all those  Swedish bikini babe twins (and sometimes triplets, which happens all the time during IVF procedures) ...anyways,  if conceived in a test tube, are not the Swedish bikini babe twin sisters still human?

Now ponder this:  If you're the sort who appreciates the bikini, the babe, and the effects of the climate of Sweden, and you were  *ahem* eating a fine specimen, and its clone asked to join to join the meal, would you not be agreeable.

There's no biological difference between two Swedish bikini twin sisters and two cloned cows.  Get three glasses of wine and a pair of filets.  To err is  human.  To moo, divine.

Written By: KKay on 12/29/06 at 9:08 am

fine...bring on the swedish babes...and the wine..

but as far as the beef goes, i'd just like a label. i dont want your cloned meat thrust upon me!

Check for new replies or respond here...