» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Schools

Written By: Echo Nomad on 01/07/07 at 12:41 am

Schools

Subject: Re: Alternative Schools

Written By: La Roche on 01/07/07 at 12:45 pm

Alternative Schools

What do you think about alternative types of schools such as year round or open schools? Better yet, did you go to such a school?

I never went to a year round school but it always seem to be in discussion in every school district I lived in. While I enjoyed my summer vacations, realistically I figured that there were certain advantages of having school year round. 

I've never heard of a year round school. Do you just go to school maybe 3 days a week? Or just a few hours a day or what?

Back in the day, if I'd had to go to school yeah round, I would have been pissed!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/07/07 at 2:59 pm

I think year round schools are set up in quarters such that there are a few days off per quarter including weekends and holidays and then a week or two in between quarters to "rest".  The point is to reduce the amount of knowledge loss when kids have too much time during the summer to get drunk and smoke weed or play video games and kill brain cells, methinks.

Written By: La Roche on 01/07/07 at 3:07 pm

I think year round schools are set up in quarters such that there are a few days off per quarter including weekends and holidays and then a week or two in between quarters to "rest".  The point is to reduce the amount of knowledge loss when kids have too much time during the summer to get drunk and smoke weed or play video games and kill brain cells, methinks.

Isn't that the point of summer though? To get over the past 9 months of brainwashing.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/07/07 at 3:09 pm

Nah.  Now the kids have to get ready for standardized tests before the information bleeds out of their skulls.

Written By: La Roche on 01/07/07 at 3:13 pm

Nah.  Now the kids have to get ready for standardized tests before the information bleeds out of their skulls.

I'm glad I went to school when I did. The only thing we worried about was that one of the big kids wouldn't come and pound our skulls in.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/08/07 at 3:43 am

"I don't ever wanna play the part
of a statistic on a government chart..."
--The Police
"Invisible Sun"

We had to take something called the Stanford Achievment Tests in school. A brand name of standardized test with a convenient acronym!  Seemed like a waste of time.  Meaningless drivel.  A few mornings every semester dedicated to filling in circles.  Yet, it meant something to somebody important.  The next semester you got your scores back.  Good prep for life in a fascist state.  You'll be ranked and you'll like it!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_rendeer.gif

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/08/07 at 4:18 am

I didn't mind taking Stanford tests.  I loved it actually.  It gave me time to read during class when I was finished.

Check for new replies or respond here...