» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Toys r us wimps

Written By: saver on 01/09/07 at 4:50 pm

Can anyone else support the Toys r us rationale of the contest that was to give the first american born child a scholarship (from those who entered the contest), and when it was discovered the potential winner came from non-american people..TOYS R US backed off their rules to avoid complaints from the Asian community who would call the company 'second-class citizen' bashers....BY THE WAY..The rules stated the people entering the contest MUST BE American citizens!

RULES IS RULES FOLKS!

i HEREBY NEVER WILL SHOP AT A Toys r Us until they have better leaders running the show. >:( 

Subject: Re: Toys r us wimps

Written By: spaceace on 01/09/07 at 4:58 pm

Hey where are most of the toys that Toys R Us have in stock made?  Perhaps they didn't want to bite the hand that feeds them.  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 01/09/07 at 5:00 pm

Hey where are most of the toys that Toys R Us have in stock made?  Perhaps they didn't want to bite the hand that feeds them.   ;)

All the best toys are made in China 8)

Written By: spaceace on 01/09/07 at 5:02 pm

Yeah, and the winners were Chinese.  Thus my statement. :)

Written By: esoxslayer on 01/09/07 at 5:09 pm

I'm confused...asians can't be American citizens???

I wonder if "Saver" is Native American........

Written By: spaceace on 01/09/07 at 5:12 pm

Dunno, maybe we should ask.

Written By: esoxslayer on 01/09/07 at 5:14 pm

Dunno, maybe we should ask.

I'm just figuring that since he's mentioning Asians not being Americans, then he must not acknowledge anybody except Native Americans as real Americans, so he either is Native American or his ancestors came over here like the rest of us did....hence his opening post is pretty much hypocritical, yes????

Written By: spaceace on 01/09/07 at 5:17 pm

I'm just figuring that since he's mentioning Asians not being Americans, then he must not acknowledge anybody except Native Americans as real Americans, so he either is Native American or his ancestors came over here like the rest of us did....hence his opening post is pretty much hypocritical, yes????

I agree.  I don't think too many Native American's share his point of view either.

Written By: esoxslayer on 01/09/07 at 5:20 pm

I agree.  I don't think too many Native American's share his point of view either.

I'm Welsh by heritage so I guess I wouldn't have qualified for the prize either...darn it all......frikkin' foreigners anyway!!!

Written By: Mushroom on 01/09/07 at 5:21 pm

BY THE WAY..The rules stated the people entering the contest MUST BE American citizens!

No, it did not.  It only stated that they must be legal US Citizens, or legal US residents.

The prize was withdrawn, after it was discovered that the parents (Han Lin and Yan Zhu Liu) were not legal residents.  In fact, the parents themselves asked for their name to be withdrawn, because they were afriad that this would bring attention to their residency status (which is exactly what has happened).

By the way, the couple that was declaired to be the winners (Maria DeJesus-Aragon and Jose Gonzalez) are both immigrants from El Salvador.  However, both of them are legal US Residents.

Written By: spaceace on 01/09/07 at 5:23 pm

I'm Welsh by heritage so I guess I wouldn't have qualified for the prize either...darn it all......frikkin' foreigners anyway!!!

There goes adding to your Hot Wheels collection.  Darn!! :P

Written By: spaceace on 01/09/07 at 5:25 pm

No, it did not.  It only stated that they must be legal US Citizens, or legal US residents.

The prize was withdrawn, after it was discovered that the parents (Han Lin and Yan Zhu Liu) were not legal residents.  In fact, the parents themselves asked for their name to be withdrawn, because they were afriad that this would bring attention to their residency status (which is exactly what has happened).

By the way, the couple that was declaired to be the winners (Maria DeJesus-Aragon and Jose Gonzalez) are both immigrants from El Salvador.  However, both of them are legal US Residents.

Thank you for that clearification Mushroom.  BTW good to see you again!!! :)

Written By: Jessica on 01/09/07 at 5:31 pm

No, it did not.  It only stated that they must be legal US Citizens, or legal US residents.

The prize was withdrawn, after it was discovered that the parents (Han Lin and Yan Zhu Liu) were not legal residents.  In fact, the parents themselves asked for their name to be withdrawn, because they were afriad that this would bring attention to their residency status (which is exactly what has happened).

By the way, the couple that was declaired to be the winners (Maria DeJesus-Aragon and Jose Gonzalez) are both immigrants from El Salvador.  However, both of them are legal US Residents.

I thought they got another prize or something? The Chinese couple, I mean.

Can anyone else support the Toys r us rationale of the contest that was to give the first american born child a scholarship (from those who entered the contest), and when it was discovered the potential winner came from non-american people..TOYS R US backed off their rules to avoid complaints from the Asian community who would call the company 'second-class citizen' bashers....BY THE WAY..The rules stated the people entering the contest MUST BE American citizens!

RULES IS RULES FOLKS!

i HEREBY NEVER WILL SHOP AT A Toys r Us until they have better leaders running the show. >:( 

If you're going to complain about illegal immigrants and sh*t, can you please do so more coherently?

Written By: Mushroom on 01/09/07 at 5:38 pm

Thank you for that clearification Mushroom.  BTW good to see you again!!! :)

Well, I rarely post in here any more.  But in a case like this, it is amazing what you find out with just a little research.

And this is why I never post "in the heat of passion".  Because invariably, you are missing some key facts.  And that is just what some people want to see:  discussion based on nothing but passion.

And thanks, but other then the last few weeks when I was off-line (dispute with my Internet Provider), I am rarely "gone", it is more a case of "refusing to participate".

Myself, I agree with the decision with Toys R Us.  After all, in every contest where the prize is a car, do they not say "Open only to licensed drivers", and when the prize is alcohol, do they not say "only open to drinkers of legal age"?  It is not like getting legal residency is all that hard.  There are almost constantly various amnesty programs, and lawyers that specialize in getting Illegal Aliens legal status.  It is just a case that most do not want to bother.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/07 at 5:58 pm

'Zactly!  Suddenly nation of origin matters to big business!
:P

I'm sure Jeffrey Giraffe is crying in his beer!
:P

Written By: witchain on 01/10/07 at 10:57 am

RULES IS RULES FOLKS!

I have to say that this is the most ridiculous thread I've ever read on this site. (And that is saying a lot.)
If you are so proud of our country at least CAPITALIZE it, and don't forget where you came from...
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e48/witchain/beer4.gif

Written By: saver on 01/10/07 at 4:27 pm

Maybe the term LEGAL should be inserted AS THE RULES REQUESTED?

Written By: saver on 01/10/07 at 4:33 pm

I have to say that this is the most ridiculous thread I've ever read on this site. (And that is saying a lot.)
If you are so proud of our country at least CAPATILIZE it, and don't forget where you came from...
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e48/witchain/beer4.gif

Most ridiculous? Would YOU complain if you went to another country and broke the rules of a contest aand let everyone know...HEY I'M NOT A LEGAL resident...GIVE ME MY PRIZE?

Now THAT'S riduculous!

Written By: Jessica on 01/10/07 at 5:53 pm

Most ridiculous? Would YOU complain if you went to another country and broke the rules of a contest aand let everyone know...HEY I'M NOT A LEGAL resident...GIVE ME MY PRIZE?

Now THAT'S riduculous!

No, ridiculous is the stupid emails and forwards you post. You really should check the facts before you put them on here because you were off the mark on this one. AGAIN.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/10/07 at 5:53 pm

No, ridiculous is the stupid emails and forwards you post. You really should check the facts before you put them on here because you were off the mark on this one. AGAIN.

QFT.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/07 at 5:54 pm

Hold on a sec...I should give a ratsazz about this because....?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Written By: Jessica on 01/10/07 at 5:54 pm

Hold on a sec...I should give a ratsazz about this because....?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Because dem durn illegals are up to no good again! :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/07 at 5:55 pm

You really should check the facts before you put them on here because you were off the mark on this one. AGAIN.

Bill O'Reilly posts here?
:D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/07 at 5:58 pm

Because dem durn illegals are up to no good again! :D

Imagine! Entering a toy store contest when you're not even a legal resident!  Scourge of our nation!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/evil_lol.gif

Written By: Jessica on 01/10/07 at 6:00 pm

Imagine! Entering a toy store contest when you're not even a legal resident!  Scourge of our nation!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/evil_lol.gif

Yeah. It's such a major issue. Totally going to destroy the fabric of our nation. ;D

Written By: spaceace on 01/10/07 at 6:11 pm

Yeah. It's such a major issue. Totally going to destroy the fabric of our nation. ;D

See "Immigrant Reform".

Written By: Mushroom on 01/10/07 at 8:01 pm

Actually, they did not even enter it.  TRU had people scouring every birth registry, trying to find the first baby of the year.  There was no "entry".

When TRU announced the "winners", they just assumed that the first baby born in the year was eligable.  The parents themselves requested that their names be withdrawn, because they did not want the attention of publicity.

But of course, by that time the names were already announced.  And it became a minor media circuis since then.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/07 at 10:14 pm

Actually, they did not even enter it.  TRU had people scouring every birth registry, trying to find the first baby of the year.  There was no "entry".

When TRU announced the "winners", they just assumed that the first baby born in the year was eligable.  The parents themselves requested that their names be withdrawn, because they did not want the attention of publicity.

But of course, by that time the names were already announced.  And it became a minor media circuis since then.

Oh...my mistake then. 

In this case the solution seems simple enough.  The company didn't bother to verify the winner was in compliance with its own rules before awarding the prize, thus the company should waive the requirement.  If the anti-immigrant freakjobs made a stink, TRU could just say, "Then you can go to another toy store in the mall...if there was one!  Mwuh-hahahaha!"
;D

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/11/07 at 10:53 am

Myself, I agree with the decision with Toys R Us.  After all, in every contest where the prize is a car, do they not say "Open only to licensed drivers", and when the prize is alcohol, do they not say "only open to drinkers of legal age"?  It is not like getting legal residency is all that hard.  There are almost constantly various amnesty programs, and lawyers that specialize in getting Illegal Aliens legal status.  It is just a case that most do not want to bother.
If you look at almost EVERY contest, the rules state "open to legal US residents"....heck, even the one on my popsicle box states: "Game is open to any LEGAL US resident" and all you "win" is a stupid card that is probably in almost every box they made, which makes me wonder what if I'm NOT a legal US resident and there's a card in my box, do I have to send it back? ::)

Written By: Mushroom on 01/11/07 at 1:35 pm

If you look at almost EVERY contest, the rules state "open to legal US residents"....heck, even the one on my popsicle box states: "Game is open to any LEGAL US resident" and all you "win" is a stupid card that is probably in almost every box they made, which makes me wonder what if I'm NOT a legal US resident and there's a card in my box, do I have to send it back? ::)

Actually, it depends on the contest.  Some actually make provisions for people who are not US Residents.

I know that in 1985 when Disneyland was having it's 30th Anniversary Celebration, there was a prize if you were the 30th, 300's, 3,000th, and such person to enter the gate.

If you were a legal US Resident, you won the prize.  If you were not a US Resident, then the prize varied, depending on what country you are a citizen of.  I remember that if you were a Canadian, you then had to play a seperate game of chance in order to get a prize.

And then there is always the disclaimer "Inside the United States (or it's Terrirories)".  Since Service Members stationed outside the US (and who have an APO/FPO address) are not inside the US, they generally are not eligable for any contests.

Written By: saver on 01/11/07 at 3:31 pm

What are the facts other than the talking points open for discussion?

That is what I post...if there was a false story I have corrected the error i.e. whenever the story is attributed to another and wasn't true...
and hoped to not get caught up forwarding mis info...

In this case I repeated information given on talk radio..if THEY had the story wrong, how can THEY conitnue on for 2 hours bringing up the same arguement I made.

Yes..ILLEGAL 'WHATEVER' tears away at this country those who act as if it petty and not worth pointing out must love paying for the cost involved.

I am from California, I am seeing it up close with this latest news of possible UNIVERSAL Health coverage for 'llegals' as well as us who abide by the laws of the land...

If Toys R us want to correct a mistake that's one thing but rules need to be adhered to. 

Written By: Mushroom on 01/26/07 at 10:01 am

And here we have a repeat:

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/24020.html

In short, a gal won a Corvette from a radio contest.  But when she went to pick up her prize, the radio station found out that she was not a legial resident of the US, so refused to give her the car.  She is now filing a lawsuit in order to get her car.

It seems that the station found out her status when they asked for her Social Security Card.  Under US Law, anybody winning a prize with a value over $500 must present a Social Security Card, because the prize is considered "Taxable Income".  And it did state in the rules that the winner must provide "Drivers License, Proof of Insurance, and tax information".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/26/07 at 3:02 pm

Can you imagine what the Right would say if a bunch immigrants ran a contest open only to non-citizen immigrants?

Written By: saver on 01/26/07 at 4:51 pm

Can you imagine what the Right would say if a bunch immigrants ran a contest open only to non-citizen immigrants?

Just saying,....if I were in another country ILLEGALLY, would I scream and shout 'GIVE ME THE PRIZE' if I won? I DON'T THINK SO! I would try to have as much attention taken away from me as possible..

But look at this TOYS R US Couple and how they are attracting all the attention..something is wrong here somewhere...from whether the company should tell them to stuff it, to the US regulations(if they have to get involved), maybe telling them  YOU LOST AND NOW YOU'RE OUT OF THE COUNTRY AS WELL!

Can't wait to hear the new campaign talk on how illegals will be dealt with in the new administration...even now...we invite the workers to help build that wall and then kick them out when it's done...right or left...A rule is a rule...   

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/26/07 at 8:46 pm

Just saying,....if I were in another country ILLEGALLY, would I scream and shout 'GIVE ME THE PRIZE' if I won? I DON'T THINK SO! I would try to have as much attention taken away from me as possible...

Yes, yes, I see that is your nature!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/27/07 at 9:11 am

No, it did not.  It only stated that they must be legal US Citizens, or legal US residents.

The prize was withdrawn, after it was discovered that the parents (Han Lin and Yan Zhu Liu) were not legal residents.  In fact, the parents themselves asked for their name to be withdrawn, because they were afriad that this would bring attention to their residency status (which is exactly what has happened).

By the way, the couple that was declaired to be the winners (Maria DeJesus-Aragon and Jose Gonzalez) are both immigrants from El Salvador.  However, both of them are legal US Residents.

The parents may not have been legal citizens, but the child by virtue of birth on US soil is an American citizen. Prize was to the child, not the parents, so the child, being a legal US citizen, gets the prize.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/27/07 at 11:36 am

The parents may not have been legal citizens, but the child by virtue of birth on US soil is an American citizen. Prize was to the child, not the parents, so the child, being a legal US citizen, gets the prize.

A newborn cannot collect a prize, the parents collect on the child's behalf.  The kid may be an American, but the parents are not so they are in default and cannot collect. 

Written By: danootaandme on 01/27/07 at 11:40 am

A newborn cannot collect a prize, the parents collect on the child's behalf.  The kid may be an American, but the parents are not so they are in default and cannot collect. 

The prize is the childs. The parents can collect the childs prize and hold it in the childs name for the benefit of the child. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/27/07 at 11:44 am

The prize is the childs. The parents can collect the childs prize and hold it in the childs name for the benefit of the child. 

That's the same as saying that for X number of years , it's as if the parents were the winners of the prize, since they will hold it as their possession until they can transfer it. 

If the contest is only for legal US residents, and the parents are not legal US residents, they have no legal claim to hold the prize for someone who IS a legal resident.  It doesn't matter if who they are holding it for is their own child.  If the parents are in violation of the rules, they cannot take possession of it.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/27/07 at 11:52 am

No, because the child is under the age of 18.  Children legally can't accept prizes over $500.  Whenever the prize is more then that, it is either given to the parent or legal guardian, or it is placed into a trust for a later date (like a scholarship award).

And in fact, the prize was not to the child, but the mother of the first child born in the new year.  A new born baby obviously does not have a Social Security number, and has no ability to pay the taxes for the prize (which was cash and prizes).  And since it was expected that the winners would then appear in print, obviously a baby can't enter into a contract.

And it was also given to the mother for other obvious reasons.  What if the child developed complications and died?  What if the parents were seperated?  Suddenly you would have the father pop back in the picture, wanting what would rightfully be his half of the money.  What if it was the intent of the mother to put the child up for adoption?  That would create a huge mess similar to the fictional "Baby Cooper Dollar".  

Giving the prize to the mother avoids all of those problems.  But in this case, the mother was unable to get the prize, since she does not have a Social Security Number.  In fact, if the first mother was a tourist, they still would have been ineligable.

And since the mother of this baby is the one that requested to be withdrawn in the first place, I see no reason to fuss about it.  Sadly, the anger this spawned has actually done the opposite, and brought her immigration status out to the entire world.

Written By: Marian on 01/27/07 at 3:10 pm

I think the precise term was legal resident.Apparently this kid was an "anchor baby".

Written By: dance4fun on 02/02/07 at 9:41 am

Do you always jump on people like this?  I was just reading another thread where you and others did this same thing.  Now thats Ridiculous :-[

Written By: Jessica on 02/02/07 at 10:02 am

Do you always jump on people like this?  I was just reading another thread where you and others did this same thing.  Now thats Ridiculous :-[

No, ridiculous is when people come on this board and write inflammatory BS, like saver does 95% of the time. I don't know what star80's problem was, and I don't know if you read back and saw what he had written about how he hated sharing the riches of this country with "foreigners and Blacks" and how they should learn to suck it up like the "Indians" did. That's when I get pissed and go on the attack. I can't speak for others on here, but I have no tolerance for ignorant and bigoted remarks like that, and I will fight when I see it, even if it puts me in a bad light.

I have no problem with people having a different opinion. The problems come into play when they post nonsensical crap that I can't make heads or tails of or when they decide to let their disgusting racist side show.

Written By: Davester on 02/02/07 at 11:18 am

I have thought, for a long time, that P&R needs a single board moderator...

Written By: Tia on 02/02/07 at 11:27 am

No, because the child is under the age of 18.  Children legally can't accept prizes over $500.  Whenever the prize is more then that, it is either given to the parent or legal guardian, or it is placed into a trust for a later date (like a scholarship award).

that's why i stick to the tried and true candy and lollipops.

i actually live across the street from a middle school. we like to lure the children to our house by pitching jolly ranchers tied to fishing wire across the street. but it's kind of a busy street so you wanna be careful. it's a lot like playing "frogger," actually.

Written By: Mushroom on 02/03/07 at 12:38 pm

That actually happened several years ago in LA.

John and Ken have the most popular radio show in LA, and several years ago they did a "Live Remote" where they gave away free cheese ato illegal aliens.  They did this in front of the INS office on Wilshire, and were finally removed by INS Security.

http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3af0f52a2d78.htm

John and Ken normally describe themselves as "Popularist Libertarians".  Their political views really do run all over the landscape, and strike a chord with most Angelinos.  But their stunts often draw the ire of many people.

During the OJ trial, they once spent a day outside the courthouse screaming that OJ was a murderer.  During the Scott Peterson trial, they used a bullhorn to try and get him to confess.  During the time that Danielle Van Dam was missing, they took the bullhorn to David Westerfield's house, and repeatedly asked him where he had dumped her body.

John & Ken are one of the few things I miss about not living in LA.  Living in Alabama, I can't hear Bill Handel in the morning, and John & Ken in the vening.  My only dose of Bill comes from his syndicated law show, which does air on Saturday mornings (I am listening to it as I type this).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_and_Ken_Show

Written By: danootaandme on 02/03/07 at 4:25 pm

A few years ago the jokers who have taken over the Boston Marathon and turned it into a "world class event" were despondent about the fact that Americans weren't winning the race.  They decided that they would offer a prize to the first US citizen to cross the finish line.  They also announced the prizes and they were better than what was going to the first place finisher.  Now isn't that nice.  People were up in arms and protested that so they decided not to do it.

Written By: saver on 02/03/07 at 4:35 pm

No, ridiculous is when people come on this board and write inflammatory BS, like saver does 95% of the time. I don't know what star80's problem was, and I don't know if you read back and saw what he had written about how he hated sharing the riches of this country with "foreigners and Blacks" and how they should learn to suck it up like the "Indians" did. That's when I get pissed and go on the attack. I can't speak for others on here, but I have no tolerance for ignorant and bigoted remarks like that, and I will fight when I see it, even if it puts me in a bad light.

I have no problem with people having a different opinion. The problems come into play when they post nonsensical crap that I can't make heads or tails of or when they decide to let their disgusting racist side show.

Where is this 'hating sharing riches with FOREIGNERS AND BLACKS' you accuse being written???

I have probably reprinted quotes from BILL COSBY on how HE viewed the education system is in array with KIDS these days wearing their pants across their ankles etc...and failing to SPEAK proper ENGLISH..BUT NOWHERE IS THERE ANY THREAD OF DENYING BLACKS OR  'LEGAL'      FOREIGNERS ANYTHING..

I'd like to see this information link as it again sounds like a made up accusation...the proof is in the letters-WHICH ARE STILL ONLINE ON THIS WEBSITE....!   

Written By: ADH13 on 02/03/07 at 4:42 pm

Where is this 'hating sharing riches with FOREIGNERS AND BLACKS' you accuse being written???

I have probably reprinted quotes from BILL COSBY on how HE viewed the education system is in array with KIDS these days wearing their pants across their ankles etc...and failing to SPEAK proper ENGLISH..BUT NOWHERE IS THERE ANY THREAD OF DENYING BLACKS OR   'LEGAL'      FOREIGNERS ANYTHING..

I'd like to see this information link as it again sounds like a made up accusation...the proof is in the letters-WHICH ARE STILL ONLINE ON THIS WEBSITE....!   

She didn't accuse you of that, saver... read her post again...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/03/07 at 4:52 pm

I have probably reprinted quotes from BILL COSBY on how HE viewed the education system is in array with KIDS these days wearing their pants across their ankles etc...and failing to SPEAK proper ENGLISH..BUT NOWHERE IS THERE ANY THREAD OF DENYING BLACKS OR  'LEGAL'      FOREIGNERS ANYTHING..

Do you have any clue what you're talking about?  She wasn't even referring to you when she made those comments.  She was talking about SOMEONE ELSE. 

Written By: saver on 02/03/07 at 5:07 pm

No, ridiculous is when people come on this board and write inflammatory BS, like saver does 95% of the time.

Okay,  I will apologize for MIS-UNDERSTANDING...I read it as 'I' write inflammatory etc..95%of the time..

Please forgive the defense..enjoy continuing your opinions.. :-\\

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/03/07 at 5:10 pm

Okay,  I will apologize for MIS-UNDERSTANDING...I read it as 'I' write inflammatory etc..95%of the time..

Uhhh, that is what she said.  However the "ridiculous is when people come on this board and write inflammatory BS" was NOT directed to you. 

Written By: Mushroom on 02/03/07 at 5:19 pm

A few years ago the jokers who have taken over the Boston Marathon and turned it into a "world class event" were despondent about the fact that Americans weren't winning the race.  They decided that they would offer a prize to the first US citizen to cross the finish line.  They also announced the prizes and they were better than what was going to the first place finisher.  Now isn't that nice.  People were up in arms and protested that so they decided not to do it.

I can understand that to a degree.  Much as there are prizes in different categories like age, sex, ability, and the like.  I could understand doing something like this, but only if they broke it into more categories (like "First African", "First European", "First East Asian", "First West Asian", and the like).  But all such prizes need to be of an equal amount, and of a lesser value then the Top Prize.

But making a special prize for "Top American" really is dirty, and most definately should not be done.  In fact, I would really only endorse something like that if prizes were broken down by Continent or geographical region.  Not by Country.

In that way, the winner for "North America" (or America) may just as likely be Mexican, Canadian, or even from Belize or Cuba.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/03/07 at 7:11 pm

John and Ken normally describe themselves as "Popularist Libertarians". 

"Total jerks on the radio" sounds like a better description!
::)

Written By: Mushroom on 02/06/07 at 6:10 pm

"Total jerks on the radio" sounds like a better description!

Actually, they have been very effective in starting grass roots efforts in California.

For example, in 2001 the State Legislature tried to enact a series of taxes.  Among them was a 50 cent gas tax, a $500 SUV tax, and a doubling of vehicle taxes.

Because of Proposition 1, all taxes in California must be approved by the voters.  So the Legislature tried to hide them as "fees", and ammended them to unknown bills.  John & Ken found out about these "fees", and started a movement to squash them.  They were able to build enough outrage that every time the Legislature has attempted similar movements, it is almost immediately killed.

And the same year, it came out that the LA School District was getting paid by one of the big soda companies to stock only their brand of soda in school vending machines.  And that things like "snack foods" would be given a large "useage fee", while sodas were exempt.  When challeneged on this inappropriate action, the school board members (and Legislatures) quickly recanted and later banned it (until a law made it required a year later).

And in the late 1990's, a group of lawyers called "The Trevor Law Group" started sueing thousands of small businesses in California.  Because of an obscure law, individuals could sue a business for "Unfair Practices", even if they were not directly affected by the business in question.  What they would do is compile a list of businesses that had been cited by the State Department of Consumer Affairs", and file lawsuits in civil court.

They would file lawsuits for between $5,000-20,000.  And most of the targets were immigrants who owned small businesses.  So instead of going after Pep Boys or SuperCuts, they would go after Juan's Car Shop and Su Kim's Hair Salon.  They made millions of dollars at this, before one of the targets called Jon & Ken and told them her story.  John & Ken immediately started a big stink, often covering the story for an hour a day.  They also compiled a huge list of people that had been targeted by Trevor Law Group.

Within 90 days, California changed the law, forbidding lawyers from targeting multiple businesses on one claim.  Then piece by piece they worked to close the loopholes that let other lawyers duplicate the tactic.  By 2003, Trevor Law Group was out of business.

In fact, both John & Ken are very pro-immigration.  John Kobylt himself is born of Polish immigrants.  And the majority of the targets of The Trevor Law Group were immigrants (this was done under the assumption that immigrants would be more willing to "roll over" and pay the "fines").  However, they are against illegal immigration.

Written By: Marian on 02/08/07 at 1:05 pm

Okay,so the parents actually tried to do the right thing?

Written By: Marian on 02/08/07 at 1:06 pm

And here we have a repeat:

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/24020.html

In short, a gal won a Corvette from a radio contest.  But when she went to pick up her prize, the radio station found out that she was not a legial resident of the US, so refused to give her the car.  She is now filing a lawsuit in order to get her car.

It seems that the station found out her status when they asked for her Social Security Card.  Under US Law, anybody winning a prize with a value over $500 must present a Social Security Card, because the prize is considered "Taxable Income".  And it did state in the rules that the winner must provide "Drivers License, Proof of Insurance, and tax information".
"HER" car????? ??? ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Written By: saver on 02/08/07 at 4:20 pm

"HER" car????? ??? ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

If true, some SLIMEBALL LAWYER will take the case and nit-pick it to 'if she just shows 'A' drivers license etc... she gets it, so she would be within bounds to have someone give her theirs and thus she 'shows them' it...now if they say they must POSSESS ONE IN THEIR 'OWN' NAME..that would be different..IT ALL DEPENDS WHAT IS-IS!

Thanks Uncle Bill for the lesson! 

Written By: Marian on 02/08/07 at 5:15 pm

What are the facts other than the talking points open for discussion?

That is what I post...if there was a false story I have corrected the error i.e. whenever the story is attributed to another and wasn't true...
and hoped to not get caught up forwarding mis info...

In this case I repeated information given on talk radio..if THEY had the story wrong, how can THEY conitnue on for 2 hours bringing up the same arguement I made.

Yes..ILLEGAL 'WHATEVER' tears away at this country those who act as if it petty and not worth pointing out must love paying for the cost involved.

I am from California, I am seeing it up close with this latest news of possible UNIVERSAL Health coverage for 'llegals' as well as us who abide by the laws of the land...

If Toys R us want to correct a mistake that's one thing but rules need to be adhered to.   

they need to make sure ALL Californians born IN CALIFORNIA have full coverage,THEN they can give bums,illegals and anchor babies some coverage.

Written By: annonymouse on 02/11/07 at 1:09 am

RULES IS RULES FOLKS!

don't you mean "rules R rules" ?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/11/07 at 1:29 am

they need to make sure ALL Californians born IN CALIFORNIA have full coverage,THEN they can give bums,illegals and anchor babies some coverage.

You sound like the Archie Bunker-types on right-wing talk radio.  What you have said sounds more than a little unfriendly.

Written By: Marian on 02/11/07 at 5:03 pm

You sound like the Archie Bunker-types on right-wing talk radio.  What you have said sounds more than a little unfriendly.
All  rigth ,maybe i oversimplified it a little.But what if YOU couldn't afford coverage,but people who come to your state get it just because they're poor,on the basis of having too many kids or something like that?I mean,are we putting a gun to their heads and telling them to have unprotected sex? ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/11/07 at 5:26 pm

All  rigth ,maybe i oversimplified it a little.But what if YOU couldn't afford coverage,but people who come to your state get it just because they're poor,on the basis of having too many kids or something like that?I mean,are we putting a gun to their heads and telling them to have unprotected sex? ;)

Yes, there are millions of people who cannot afford private insurance but earn too much to qualify for medicaid.  However, it is pointless jealousy to resent poor folks for accepting medicaid benefits.  I think we see eye-to-eye here--the problem is less about poor people and more about our healthcare system being a trainwreck. 

If my company did not offer health insurance, I would have none.  I would not qualify for medicaid.  If I tried to buy health insurance as an individual, my premium would be sky high because I have a history of major depression.  I used to be on medicaid because of this.  First the insurance companies would just deny you coverage if you had any major health issues.  About ten years ago the Massachusetts legislature prohibited the insurance comapnies from this practice.  So the insurance companies said F.U. and doubled the premiums!

Written By: Marian on 02/13/07 at 3:04 pm

Yes, there are millions of people who cannot afford private insurance but earn too much to qualify for medicaid.  However, it is pointless jealousy to resent poor folks for accepting medicaid benefits.  I think we see eye-to-eye here--the problem is less about poor people and more about our healthcare system being a trainwreck. 

If my company did not offer health insurance, I would have none.  I would not qualify for medicaid.  If I tried to buy health insurance as an individual, my premium would be sky high because I have a history of major depression.  I used to be on medicaid because of this.  First the insurance companies would just deny you coverage if you had any major health issues.  About ten years ago the Massachusetts legislature prohibited the insurance comapnies from this practice.  So the insurance companies said F.U. and doubled the premiums!
Well i do wonder though.As a single person,you earn to much.But if you had a one night stand,you could conceivable become a "family"and could have an easier time getting coverage.Single people seem to have to pay for a heck of a lot.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/13/07 at 6:13 pm

Well i do wonder though.As a single person,you earn to much.But if you had a one night stand,you could conceivable become a "family"and could have an easier time getting coverage.Single people seem to have to pay for a heck of a lot.

One night stand =

http://www.minimus.biz/images/P07-0124102-1000bg.jpg

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/nono.gif

Written By: Marian on 02/14/07 at 2:49 pm

One night stand =

http://www.minimus.biz/images/P07-0124102-1000bg.jpg

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/nono.gif
But you have to make sure the woman doesn't poke a hole in it with a pin while you go to the bathroom!!! ;D :D ;D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/14/07 at 2:54 pm

But you have to make sure the woman doesn't poke a hole in it with a pin while you go to the bathroom!!! ;D :D ;D ;D

If you don't remove it when you...oh, I see!
:-X

I'm working on a patent for a device called Secure-a-Rubber so a pin-wielding lady cannot pierce your prophylactic!

Written By: Marian on 02/15/07 at 2:27 pm

If you don't remove it when you...oh, I see!
:-X

I'm working on a patent for a device called Secure-a-Rubber so a pin-wielding lady cannot pierce your prophylactic!
LOL You CAN't go the the bathroom wearing it!I mean,yiou have to take it off to ans ;) ;Dwer nature's call!

Check for new replies or respond here...