» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Proposal :hand Iraqi oil to western oil companies for 30 years before parliamnt.

Written By: STAR70 on 01/10/07 at 5:20 pm

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/01/08/iraq-oil.html

Subject: Re: Proposal :hand Iraqi oil to western oil companies for 30 years before parliamnt.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/07 at 5:43 pm

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/01/08/iraq-oil.html

2003:
"We must invade Iraq to depose an evil dictator who gassed his own people and is harboring weapons of mass destruction.  This is a front in the War on Terror.  Have you forgotten 9/11?"
"No, we're going into Iraq so Western petroleum interests can control the oil."
"No sir!"
"Yes sir!"
"No sir!"
"Yes sir!"
"No sir!"
"Yes sir!"
and so on and so on and so on....
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/brave.gif
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/bs.gif

Subject: Re: Proposal :hand Iraqi oil to western oil companies for 30 years before parliamnt.

Written By: Davester on 01/10/07 at 6:08 pm

I can't believe that the US puppet government is going to do this.  Mind blowing...

At least the US troops are guaranteed to be getting sun tans for at least thirty more years...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/07 at 6:23 pm

I can't believe that the US puppet government is going to do this.  Mind blowing...

At least the US troops are guaranteed to be getting sun tans for at least thirty more years...

Sometimes you can see the future in an old movie...

Lyle: Come on, boys! The way you're lollygaggin' around here with them picks and them shovels, you'd think it was a hundert an' twenty degree. Can't be more than a hundert an' fourteen.

Taggart spots Bart and Charlie on a hand-cart sinking into quicksand]
Taggart: Oh, sh!t. Quick.

Taggart: Dang, that was lucky. Doggone near lost a four hundred dollar handcart.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taggart: Break's over, boys. Don't just lay there gettin' a suntan, ain't gonna do you no good anyhow. Now take this shovel and put it to some good use.

Charlie: Don't do it, Bart.
Bart: Uh-uh, baby, I have to.
Taggart: Now send a wire to the main office and tell them that I said

Taggart: OW.
Lyle: Send wire, main office, tell them I said ow, gotcha.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/10/07 at 7:57 pm

OK, devil's advocate time again.

The infrastructure of the Iraqi Oil industry is in shambles.  They are at less then 20% of their production and refining capabilities of what they were 15 years ago.  Most estimates I have seen state that it will take an estimated $200 billion to bring just the well and pipeline infastructure up to 1988 standards.

And that does not count the cost of refineries, tankers (the tankers that Iraq had were all either sold during the UN Oil Freeze, or have deteriorated to the point that they are unsafe).  I have seen estimates as high as $650 billion in order to bring all of it's drilling, shipping, and refining capabilities up to modern standards.

Now where is Iraq going to get that kind of money?  Not to mention the training and experienced people to do the work?

This is actually a fairly common practice when new resources are discovered in a poor country.  In exchange for creating the infrastructure, a company (or companies) get's an exclusive contract for a set period of time.  Then once that time expires, the resources (and all infrastructure put in place) revert back to the host country.

Iraq is suffering from crippling unemployment.  And the nation simply does not have the money, credit, or equipment to fully open it's oil fields without help from somewhere.  And I do not see anybody opening their wallets and offering over half a trillion dollars to let them get it going again.  This will be a huge boost to jump-starting their economy.  And along with that would probably be a big shot in the arm for National Pride.

I do not care much for it either.  But unless some rich benefator offers up money in the form of grants and loans, there is really no other option.  And if this happens, by 2040, Iraq will be fully in control of it's oil fields again, and have a huge number of experienced personel to run it.

Not to mention modern equipment.  Saddam let the equipment fall to crap during his reign.  Most of the wells, pipelines, and refineries they do have date back to the 1960's.  This is because once Iraq nationalized them in 1972, very little money was ever put back into them.  Foreign companies were not interested in giving Iraq charity, and the Ba'ath party was more interested in buying tanks and palaces.  And of course there was no reason to put any money in them during the 1990's, since there was a UN Embargo in place.

Like it, hate it, it really does not matter.  Does anybody have a realistic solution for Iraq to follow?  They have no credit, huge debts, and almost no cash flow.  Unless something is done to fix that problem soon, things will only get worse.

Subject: Re: Proposal :hand Iraqi oil to western oil companies for 30 years before parlia

Written By: La Roche on 01/11/07 at 7:13 am

This is excellent.

Here's a point for ya'll.

In Texas, over a million wells have been dug and almost all the oil is gone.
In Iraq, a bit bigger than Texas with supposedly waaaay more oil. The number of wells dug is still in the 10's of thousands.. with infeior technology.

Answer - Inject Western Technology and investment $'s. Under a profit share scheme such as the one being implemented the Iraqi's will be much better off. Instead of digging a ditch here, there or anywhere the resources of their country will be put to good use and they'll make considerably more money.
Plus, the way these things usually work is the top jobs are held by people the compaines bring in, the rest of the facilities will be manned by Iraqi's.. is that a job I hear?

Subject: Re: Proposal :hand Iraqi oil to western oil companies for 30 years before parlia

Written By: esoxslayer on 01/11/07 at 7:34 am

I haven't studied this enough to form a complete opinion, but it seems that creating jobs would be a good thing there in Iraq for one thing..since unemployment seems to be a major factor at this time.....and since the country has such a poor economy at this point....

And, would't this kind of side step OPEC in some way??  I can't see how that would be a bad thing at all. I read the linked article and didn't see OPEC mentioned....

Written By: philbo on 01/11/07 at 5:03 pm

If it were Western companies giving their time/technology for a reasonable wage, that would be acceptable; as it is, Iraqi oil tech is largely missing or out of date because of the West's actions (both before the war from sanctions and caused by the war)... for Western oil companies to do, in effect, what happened with Russian gas - the government taking all the risk, the oil companies taking nearly all the profits, is adding insult to injury.

Sure, it could be that the oil companies will expect a reasonable return on investment and no more, with the huge revenues going to help the people of Iraq.  But history doesn't make that a particularly probable outcome.

Your quote of $600billion seems excessive: do you have a source for that?

Like it, hate it, it really does not matter.  Does anybody have a realistic solution for Iraq to follow?  They have no credit, huge debts, and almost no cash flow.  Unless something is done to fix that problem soon, things will only get worse.

Are we talking a realistic solution for Iraq, or a way for Bush-friendly companies to make megabucks?

And there ain't no way any oil company is going to be doing anything whatsoever (other than being paid hansomely for doing nothing) while the security situation remains as it is.

it's drilling
get's an

grr...

manned by Iraqi's.. is that a job I hear?

grrrrr...
(and yes, jobs for Iraqis is a good thing, but an awful lot depends on pay scales and how much of the profit is creamed off by the oil companies)

Written By: La Roche on 01/11/07 at 5:17 pm

grrrrr...
(and yes, jobs for Iraqis is a good thing, but an awful lot depends on pay scales and how much of the profit is creamed off by the oil companies)

Yeah, I know what you're saying. Fact of the matter is this -
You're an Iraqi, you have no job.  :(
You're an Iraqi, you have a job.  :)

We all know they're not going to get anything like the same wage as an American or European doing the same job.. but they're going to get a wage.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/11/07 at 5:22 pm

Are we talking a realistic solution for Iraq, or a way for Bush-friendly companies to make megabucks?

That's the one, mate!
Sounds to me like Mushroom could write press releases for Haliburton!

Written By: philbo on 01/11/07 at 6:41 pm

Yeah, I know what you're saying. Fact of the matter is this -
You're an Iraqi, you have no job.  :(
You're an Iraqi, you have a job.  :)

So would you rather work for a foreigner who's scamming off the only wealth your country has, or not have a job?  It's a false dichotomy: to say that the only way to get a few thousand Iraqi jobs is to pass its oil profits on to Western companies is frankly ridiculous.

Written By: La Roche on 01/11/07 at 7:36 pm

So would you rather work for a foreigner who's scamming off the only wealth your country has, or not have a job?  It's a false dichotomy: to say that the only way to get a few thousand Iraqi jobs is to pass its oil profits on to Western companies is frankly ridiculous.

It's not the only way.

But it's the way it will happen. Let's face it, we're not running a charity here.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/11/07 at 10:04 pm

It's not the only way.

But it's the way it will happen. Let's face it, we're not running a charity here.

Isn't that a line from a Jerry Lewis movie?
:P

Written By: La Roche on 01/12/07 at 7:14 am

Isn't that a line from a Jerry Lewis movie?
:P

Nah, I don't know Deano.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/12/07 at 10:32 am

Let's see, feed my family or scrounge for food?  I'll take "Feed my family for $200, Alex".  I hear a lot of "this is stupid, ridiculous, exploitation, etc. etc. etc" but no other solutions.

Does anyone know what the "share" mentioned is?  People don't honestly believe the oil companies will put time & $$ into updating the equipment and not get anything out of it, do they?

Written By: esoxslayer on 01/12/07 at 10:47 am

Hey...even if the average Iraqi once this starts makes 300 a week, it's probably 300 a week more than he's making now...

Maybe those who want to squawk about "Western Oil Companies" making this committment would rather see, lets say China, or Russia getting in on the ground floor there??  That oughta help US demand for secure oil supplies for a looooong time....right??

Written By: La Roche on 01/12/07 at 12:20 pm

Hey...even if the average Iraqi once this starts makes 300 a week, it's probably 300 a week more than he's making now...

Maybe those who want to squawk about "Western Oil Companies" making this committment would rather see, lets say China, or Russia getting in on the ground floor there??  That oughta help US demand for secure oil supplies for a looooong time....right??

Ah, but you're forgetting. We're Americans and thus we shouldn't have a great lifestyle. Instead we should pay these uneducated manual workers $2000 a week to learn what they're doing.  ::)

Written By: esoxslayer on 01/12/07 at 12:25 pm

Ah, but you're forgetting. We're Americans and thus we shouldn't have a great lifestyle. Instead we should pay these uneducated manual workers $2000 a week to learn what they're doing.  ::)

Thats right, I forgot...we shouldn't..unless we were all filthy rich, or were all working class bums.....

Written By: limblifter on 01/12/07 at 12:37 pm

Right. Because that was exactly what this war was all about from day one. This war wasn't supposed to be about securing oil for increasing American demand, but funny how it just turned out to be that way. Disgusting.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/12/07 at 3:49 pm

You're all missing the point.  The lie Halliburton and the other economic hitmen companies tell is that they are the best at what they do and they're in your country to improve your life.  Time and again this is proved total hogwash. 

All the Halliburtons of the world are going to do is pocket the loot, fail to get the job done, and be accountable to nobody.

They've got more than date farmers and imams in Iraq.  There's a "professional class" there.  Iraq has its own architects, engineers, civil planners, accountants, bankers, and so forth.  These capable professonals just happen to liven in a country that's been destroyed by war.  Our country needs to throw the corporate pirates out of Iraq and develop a "Marshall Plan" type of program.  The iraqis can rebuild for the Iraqis with Iraqi management and Iraqi labor.  Since their country is a post-war shambles, the U.S. will need to invest the initial capital.  Let the Iraqis manage their own oil industry and use the profits to rebuild their own country.  America, Inc. is a disaster over there.  It needs to end!

Written By: philbo on 01/12/07 at 4:50 pm

Does anyone know what the "share" mentioned is?  People don't honestly believe the oil companies will put time & $$ into updating the equipment and not get anything out of it, do they?

The point that I was trying to make above was that this is the whole point: oil company history has them taking more of the profit than the country whose oil it was in the first place.  I have nothing at all against oil company expertise, labour and equipment being used at commercial rates - but the only figures I can find quoted are excessive and amout to profiteering:

AlterNet"]Supporters say the provision allowing oil companies to take up to 75 per cent of the profits will last until they have recouped initial drilling costs. After that, they would collect about 20 per cent of all profits, according to industry sources in Iraq. But that is twice the industry average for such deals.

(I heard the 75%/20% mentioned in a radio broadcast, too - though I have no idea if that is twice the usual level)

Basically, we're saying "OK, so we bombed the s*** out of your oil industry - now we want to take twice as much for getting it back in shape as we would if your government weren't dependent upon us for security"

Are you really saying you *don't* find this even remotely sickening?  Just 'cause the money (or a small fraction of it, anyway) is going to benefit a few of your countrymen...

You're all missing the point.  The lie Halliburton and the other economic hitmen companies tell is that they are the best at what they do and they're in your country to improve your life.  Time and again this is proved total hogwash. 

All the Halliburtons of the world are going to do is pocket the loot, fail to get the job done, and be accountable to nobody.
America, Inc. is a disaster over there.  It needs to end!

You noticed that, too?

I'm surprised it isn't the right-wingers going crazy over this: it is, after all, mainly your own tax money that's being handed to Halliburton et al for their, er, hard work in Iraq.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/12/07 at 5:01 pm

I'm surprised it isn't the right-wingers going crazy over this: it is, after all, mainly your own tax money that's being handed to Halliburton et al for their, er, hard work in Iraq.

Nah, our right-wingers don't care if crony capitalists drain the tax coffers, just as long as poor people don't get any of it, they're happy!
::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/07 at 5:17 pm

Here is a novel idea: Let the Iraqis have the Iraqi oil-and let the west (hopefully with the U.S. in the lead) concintrate on renewable energy sources-solar, wind, hyrdo, etc. Give auto makers incentive to create cars that run on something other than gas (I have been reading about cars running on recycled cooking oil). There was an article in our local paper today saying that there is $$$ in "green".

Cat

Written By: Davester on 01/12/07 at 5:19 pm

They've got more than date farmers and imams in Iraq.  There's a "professional class" there.  Iraq has its own architects, engineers, civil planners, accountants, bankers, and so forth.  These capable professonals just happen to liven in a country that's been destroyed by war.  Our country needs to throw the corporate pirates out of Iraq and develop a "Marshall Plan" type of program.  The iraqis can rebuild for the Iraqis with Iraqi management and Iraqi labor.  Since their country is a post-war shambles, the U.S. will need to invest the initial capital.  Let the Iraqis manage their own oil industry and use the profits to rebuild their own country.  America, Inc. is a disaster over there.  It needs to end!

That's another challenge.  Luring this professional class back to Iraq.  I wonder how many of these highly trained professionals have left the country over the past four years or more for parts known and unknown as a result of unemployment, war and, you know...lack of electricity.  I suspect a significant portion of Iraq's best and brightest are now in exile...

I wonder if patriotism alone would draw them back groove ;) on...

Written By: Mushroom on 01/12/07 at 6:29 pm

That's the one, mate!
Sounds to me like Mushroom could write press releases for Haliburton!

BTW, Haliburton is not an Oil company.  They do not own any oil wells, or pipelines, or refineries.  Haliburton is a Construction company.  And since Morrison-Knudsen was bought out in 1996, they are now one of the few construction companies in the world that handles this kind of project.

Even if the King of Siam gave Iraq 1 Trillion Euros, they would more then likely still choose Haliburton to do the work.  They have more experience in this line of work then any other company in the world.

In much the same way, American Bantam made this great little vehicle in the late 1930's that is now known as the Jeep.  But when the US Military needed them for a little conflict called "World War II", the major contract to build them went to Ford and GM.  American Bantam simply did not have the resources, experience, and facilities to build them in the numbers needed.

If M-K was still in business, they would have a

I really could not care less about anything, but in helping Iraq jump-start it's economy.  And if there was another solution, I would be all for it.

As I said, does anybody else have a realistic and workable solution?  Anybody?  Anybody?

Does anybody know of somebody with bottomless pockets, that is willing to give (grant, or loan) Iraq the huge amounts of money that will be needed to solve it's problems?  Because I sure don't.

Written By: STAR70 on 01/12/07 at 6:44 pm

BTW, Haliburton is not an Oil company.  T

Haliburton is the world's largest oil services company. no doubt they will get a big chunk of $$ if/when these "production stealing agreements" are approved and the no bid contracts come rolling in

here's an idea: let the Iraqi people decide and negotiate over their oil resources with whomever they please

does a radioactive cat have 18 half-lives?

radioactive cats are a radioactive chick thing

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/07 at 2:14 am

That's another challenge.  Luring this professional class back to Iraq.  I wonder how many of these highly trained professionals have left the country over the past four years or more for parts known and unknown as a result of unemployment, war and, you know...lack of electricity.  I suspect a significant portion of Iraq's best and brightest are now in exile...

I wonder if patriotism alone would draw them back groove ;) on...

I'm not saying it will be easy.  If I was Iraqi engineer with a sterling CV, I can't say I would stick around if I could get out.  In business, incentive goes a long way.  If those with the skills to rebuild Iraq have assurance they will be the ones to do the job and won't be pushed around by corporate thugs from the U.S., that might help.

Mr. Mushroom speaks of realistic and workable solutions.  It would be one thing of Halliburton and the like were vested in realistic and workable solutions for rebuilding Iraq...but they're not.  They're interested in looting.  Corporate piracy is a non-solution.

Rebuilding Iraq will indeed be a challenge of Marshall Plan proportions, but before we can even draw up any plans, we've gotta throw the Bush administration out!  I would send around the nice young men in long white coats with the butterfly nets!

Written By: esoxslayer on 01/13/07 at 10:27 am

Let's see, feed my family or scrounge for food?  I'll take "Feed my family for $200, Alex".  I hear a lot of "this is stupid, ridiculous, exploitation, etc. etc. etc" but no other solutions.

Sure!!  If you had your own company, wouldn't you invest billions into it and not expect a return?? 

I'm sure the Chinese would be more than willing to invest the dollars instead of the US, and then the hand wringers will have something else to complain about......maybe we can cut a deal with the Venezuelians...........hmmmmmmm.........

Written By: Mushroom on 01/13/07 at 11:23 am

here's an idea: let the Iraqi people decide and negotiate over their oil resources with whomever they please

Hmmm, let me re-read the first paragraph of the story that started this off.

The Iraqi government plans to introduce a law that will give Western oil companies rights to the country's huge oil reserves, a British newspaper says.

Hmmmm, sounds like that is exactly what they are planning on doing.

BTW, back in 1972, the Iraqi oil fields were nationalized by the Ba'ath party.  Therefore, the only way that anybody can come in and help them fix the mess is to change the law, to allow foreign investment in the oil fields.  Now let's look at the second paragraph again:

The government is drafting a law based on "production sharing agreements ," which will allow major oil companies to sign deals of up to 30 years to extract Iraq's oil, the Independent on Sunday reported.  (emphasis mine)

That does not mean that companies will be given 30 year contracts.  It means that companies will be given contracts, depending on how much they are willing to invest.  Companies that give little investment into the country will recieve short contracts.  Companies that make huge investments will get longer contracts to both recoup the investment, and to encourage larger investments.

Hmmm, sounds like the way most businesses work.  In fact, it is not much different then the way most loans work.  If you make a loan from a bank for say $3,000 for a new car, you normally get a 1-2 year loan.  If you make a loan of $200,000 to buy a new house, that is normally a 20-30 year loan.  And of course, the bank makes more money off of that loan.

Now let's go down a bit more:

Under PSAs, a country retains legal ownership of its oil but gives a share of profits to the international companies that invest in infrastructure and operation of the wells, pipelines and refineries, the newspaper said.

In other words, Iraq still owns the oil.  They still own the wells.  They simply split the profits as a way to pay back the investment.

And do you want to bet, the majority of contracts do not go to oil companies?  This is because they do not need help in pumping or discovering oil (which is what they specialize in).  They do not need any help selling their oil (most of which is already under contract to China and Russia).

What they need help in is rebuilding the infrastructire, which is where the contracts will go.  Pipelines, Refineries, Loading and Distribution systems.  These are things that oil companies do not do.  In fact, they pay companies like Haliburton (and before it was bought, Morrison Knudsen) to build it for them.

Now I know I have mentioned M-K several times, but most of you have probably never heard of them.  Until 1996 (when it merged with Washington Group International), it was one of the largest construction firms in the world.  Among their projects was Hoover Dam, the locks on the St. Lawrence Seaway, the Alaska Pipeline, the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, and the Kennedy Space Center.  They also built numerous hydro power and flood control dams in Idaho, Oregon, Montana, and other areas of the NW USA.  In the 1940-1950's, they even build railroad locamotives and other heavy equipment.

And in addition to Haliburton, WGI will also get a lot of the contracts.  A Russian company called Gazprom will more then likely get any contracts for Natural Gas pipelines, since they are one of the best in the world in that area.  The Spanish company Sacyr Vallehermoso will more then likely get contracts for Refinery construction.  Any construction of Offshore platforms will probably be split between Global Marine (British) and Pemex (Mexico).  Construction of new oil tankers will probably be done by various Chinese and Korean shipyards.

In short, we are talking about the rehabilitation of the major industry of an entire nation.  It will be done by thousands of different companies, from probably over a hundred different countries.

And here is the really fun part:  their payment is a share of profits.  If for some reason oil drops to 1992 (or even 1999) prices, a lot of them may end up loosing a lot of money.  Huge profits for these companies are only guaranteed of the price of oil on the open market remains high.  If OPEC decides to increase their production again, prices will fall and the "profits" may not be enough to repay their investment.

Written By: STAR70 on 01/13/07 at 6:18 pm

Hmmm, let me re-read the first paragraph of the story that started this off.

The Iraqi government plans to introduce a law that will give Western oil companies rights to the country's huge oil reserves, a British newspaper says.

Hmmmm, sounds like that is exactly what they are planning on doing.

the so-called Iraqi "election" were completely bogus, even by red-state standards: neither the "candidates" nor the "polling place"were publicized before hand. there is no Iraqi "government" just a yankee propped client state.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/14/07 at 4:21 pm

the so-called Iraqi "election" were completely bogus, even by red-state standards: neither the "candidates" nor the "polling place"were publicized before hand. there is no Iraqi "government" just a yankee propped client state.

Amen and Karma+1!

Written By: STAR70 on 01/18/07 at 4:50 pm

Amen and Karma+1!

here's the rumor: al-Malachi will be "replaced" by the U.S. if he can't  "dispose of " al-Sadr and the Mahdi army.

can you say "Ngo Dim Diem'?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/18/07 at 11:00 pm

here's the rumor: al-Malachi will be "replaced" by the U.S. if he can't  "dispose of " al-Sadr and the Mahdi army.

can you say "Ngo Dim Diem'?

Can you say, "the more things change, the more they stay the same" and "there's nothing new under the sun," and whatever old saw you'd like to apply!

Is it that they never learn, or that we never learn not to believe them when they say they have learned?
:D

Written By: philbo on 01/19/07 at 4:51 am

Is it that they never learn, or that we never learn not to believe them when they say they have learned?

For some reason, I could hear Donald Rumsfeld saying that ;)

...but I reckon the answer is "both".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/19/07 at 6:00 pm

For some reason, I could hear Donald Rumsfeld saying that ;)

...but I reckon the answer is "both".

In times gone by when the people overthrew a corrupt leader, they killed him and everybody in his cabinet, down to the lowest footmen, as Cheney and Rumsfeld were in the Nixon Administration.  They did it for shock and awe, and they did it to prevent any of those wiseguys from weaseling back into power.  Machiavelli understood this. 
We don't do that anymore.  In America, we live in a constitutional republic.  There is a legal framework we follow for all procedures in government.
The neo-cons waiting in the wings wished they could pull a Machiavelli on the Clinton Administration.  What they failed to understand is under Machiavellianism all of them would have had been strung up and shot in the 1970s....including Daddy Bush, who was head of the CIA.

What we have now is Machiavelli-Lite.  I hate that.  Either go Machiavelli whole-hog or don't go at all!  None of this Newt Gingrich pussy-footing!

Written By: Mushroom on 01/20/07 at 10:07 am

In times gone by when the people overthrew a corrupt leader, they killed him and everybody in his cabinet, down to the lowest footmen, as Cheney and Rumsfeld were in the Nixon Administration. 

Actually, they were not in the "Nixon Administration", they were really in the "Ford Administration".  Under President Nixon, he rose no higher then "Assistant Director of the Cost of Living Council " (that is one of those "faceless retainer" posts I mentioned earlier - the "assistant-assistant of whatever" that really run the Government).  It was only under President Ford that be became Chief of Staff.

Things were more or less the same with Don Rumsfeld.  A retired Navy Captain, he was the US Ambassador to NATO at the end of the Nixon Administration.  Under President Ford, he became Chief of Staff, before being appointed the Secretary of Defense after the "Halloween Massacre".

In fact, if not for the "Halloween Massacre", both of them would have more then likely had long and indistinguished careers as political "Middle Men", assuming one "assistant directorship" or another.  It was only after the resignation of Richard Nixon and the subsequent replacement of his Cabinet that let either of them move up into leading positions.

Check for new replies or respond here...