» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: French Court bans Pork Soup

Written By: Mushroom on 01/13/07 at 1:30 pm

http://news.bostonherald.com/international/view.bg?articleid=175835

In short, a group in France decided to open a soup kitchen for the homeless.  However, they did not want to feed homeless Jews or Muslims.  Their solution: give away Pork Soup.

Needless to say, this was not well recieved, and was eventually taken to court.  The final resolution was that the group was forbidden from giving away Pork Soup, because it was discriminatory.

Myself, I think it is a tacky thing to do, but is it really illegal?  And what if a group that claims to support homeless vegitarians decides that it is discriminatory for annother kitchen to give away Beef Soup?  Or if a Japanese based group decides to give away Sushi, knowing that most non-asians would not eat sushi?  Or even more extreme, if a Korean group decides that they will serve roasted German Shepard? 

Does somebody (or the Government) have a right to step in and prohibit it, simply because not everybody is willing or able to eat the food?

Subject: Re: French Court bans Pork Soup

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/13/07 at 1:35 pm

Oh come on.  THEY DID IT ON PURPOSE!  Those two groups of people can't eat pork because of religious rules.....they were doing that ON PURPOSE to keep the homeless Jews and Muslims from being able to be helped by their organization.  That's disgusting. 

Written By: Mushroom on 01/13/07 at 1:42 pm

Oh come on.  THEY DID IT ON PURPOSE!  Those two groups of people can't eat pork because of religious rules.....they were doing that ON PURPOSE to keep the homeless Jews and Muslims from being able to be helped by their organization.  That's disgusting. 

I think you are misunderstanding my point.

I also think it is disgusting.  But is it illegal?  What if I hate Hindus, and insist that the only food served be Beef Stew?  Should it be legal to prohibit me from serving Beef Stew (which I am sure the majority of people enjoy), just to appease a minority?  And we are talking about something being given away.

I do not like it myself, but should they be prohibited from helping people, just because what they are offering is not acceptible by everybody?  I am sure that no matter what they offer, somebody will be prohibited from eating it.  On puropse or not, is that a valid reason to prevent the aid from being offered?

Written By: esoxslayer on 01/13/07 at 1:50 pm

I also think it is disgusting.  But is it illegal?  What if I hate Hindus, and insist that the only food served be Beef Stew?  Should it be legal to prohibit me from serving Beef Stew (which I am sure the majority of people enjoy), just to appease a minority?  And we are talking about something being given away.

I do not like it myself, but should they be prohibited from helping people, just because what they are offering is not acceptible by everybody?  I am sure that no matter what they offer, somebody will be prohibited from eating it.  On puropse or not, is that a valid reason to prevent the aid from being offered?

It does raise some serious questions...if for example somebody came in that couldn't eat the "meal of the day" should the kitchen in question make them something special in order to feed them??  Granted, making a cheese sandwich or something else hot isn't a big deal in most circumstances and would probably be done with little problems.

It sounds to me like they are intentionally discriminating, and not being knowledgeable of the laws of France I can't make a decision, I know here in the US it wouldn't fly, but thats not the point. 

If I had nothing but meat options available and a vegetarian came in, should I be expected to make a run to the store and get something so they could eat as well??  I shouldn't have to, but in goodwill chances are I would...thats a different story than setting up shop in lets say a predominantly muslim area of town and serving pork meals only though....I think it's more of a moral issue than a legal one....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/07 at 2:11 pm

http://news.bostonherald.com/international/view.bg?articleid=175835

In short, a group in France decided to open a soup kitchen for the homeless.  However, they did not want to feed homeless Jews or Muslims.  Their solution: give away Pork Soup.

Needless to say, this was not well recieved, and was eventually taken to court.  The final resolution was that the group was forbidden from giving away Pork Soup, because it was discriminatory.

Myself, I think it is a tacky thing to do, but is it really illegal?  And what if a group that claims to support homeless vegitarians decides that it is discriminatory for annother kitchen to give away Beef Soup?  Or if a Japanese based group decides to give away Sushi, knowing that most non-asians would not eat sushi?  Or even more extreme, if a Korean group decides that they will serve roasted German Shepard? 

Does somebody (or the Government) have a right to step in and prohibit it, simply because not everybody is willing or able to eat the food?

"extreme-right humanitarian group"
Hmmm....sounds a little oxymoronic.  I don't know anything about Solidarite des Francais, but "Solidarity of the French" gives a good indication as to what they're up to.

Here's the problem.  I don't know that much about French law.

Solidarite des Francais claims nobody was forced to eat the pork.  I suppose a Muslim or Jew could come to the kitchen and dine on other comestibles.  The law would come in on an intangible.  I don't know if this applies in France, but in America the question would be whether the the kitchen administrators set an unwelcoming tone for certain races or ehnic groups.  

If the National White Christian Party set up a soup kitchen in Brooklyn and did not serve kosher but made no racist overtures other than calling the joint "The National White Christian Party Hearth & Kettle," you could still go after them in court because the very name implies ethnic exclusivity, which is forbidden in the U.S. even in a private charity.  If the white supremicist group handed out anti-semitic literature with the bread and gravy it would be a shoe-in for a shutdown.  

Solidarite des Francais?  What's in a name?  Remember what happened to Sambo's?  That was a fastfood chain that lost a case against its very name, "Sambo" being derogatory for African-American.  The founders claimed "Sambo's" was merely a portmanteau of their names.  

BUT...the point is moot because this is France, not the U.S., and I'd have to do some research into French anti-discrimination codes.

The spokesman from Solidarite des Francais also claimed pork fat soup was a traditional soup kitchen fare because of its high nutritional value (plus clogged arteries leads to earlier death, thus fewer poor folk to worry about).  
:P

Scummy, yes.  Illegal, not sure.

This is beside the point, but I'm sure there are oodles of Muslim-run soup kitchens throughout France as Islam obliges its followers to commit resources to charity.  It's a must in Islam.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/13/07 at 2:22 pm

Solidarite des Francais?  What's in a name.  Remember what happened to Sambo's?  That was a fastfood chain that lost a case against it's very name, "Sambo" being derogatory for African-American.  The founders claimed "Sambo's" was merely a portmanteau of their names.  

Sam Battistone and Newell Bohnett named the resteraunt, not even thinking of the children's story.  The connection only came later when they were trying to find a mascot for the chain to attract families (this was common in the late 1950's).

Not to mention that the story of Sambo is not even African, it is Indian.  And all of the artwork of "Little Boy Sambo" at the facility made it obvious that the mascot of the chain was an Indian boy.

There were several lawsuits over the name, but none of them were ever won.  They simply suffered from a downtur in business, and a trend towards larger nation-wide chains.  Bob's Big Boy suffered from the same fate at around the same time.  "Cutesy" theme resteraunts simply fell out of favor.

But they were never forced to change their name.  When the franchises started to go bankrupt, they made a name change to "Sam's", but it did not help.  By that time, Sam was spending most of his time concentrating on his Basketball team, the New Orleans Jazz (which he founded in 1974).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/07 at 2:41 pm

Sam Battistone and Newell Bohnett named the resteraunt, not even thinking of the children's story.  The connection only came later when they were trying to find a mascot for the chain to attract families (this was common in the late 1950's).

Not to mention that the story of Sambo is not even African, it is Indian.  And all of the artwork of "Little Boy Sambo" at the facility made it obvious that the mascot of the chain was an Indian boy.

There were several lawsuits over the name, but none of them were ever won.  They simply suffered from a downtur in business, and a trend towards larger nation-wide chains.  Bob's Big Boy suffered from the same fate at around the same time.  "Cutesy" theme resteraunts simply fell out of favor.

But they were never forced to change their name.  When the franchises started to go bankrupt, they made a name change to "Sam's", but it did not help.  By that time, Sam was spending most of his time concentrating on his Basketball team, the New Orleans Jazz (which he founded in 1974).

The original Helen Bannerman story of "Little Black Sambo" was indeed set in India.  Unfortunately, Bannerman was a Scot living in India at the height of imperialism.  What they considered innocent fun in the the 19th century was considered vile bigotry by the late 20th century.  The story was not purely Indian.  It also contained Caribbean elements.  "Little Black Sambo" was sort of a composite "darky" of global European empire.  By the 1910s Minstrel shows included dramatizations of "Little Black Sambo" in blackface.  As you know, "Sambo" quickly became a slur of high caliber nastiness.  I don't know if Battistone and Bohnett were familier with the idea of "market research," but somehow they missed the obvious conclusion that using a "Little Black Sambo" montage for marketing would p*ss people off!

We used to go to the Sambo's in Nashua.  I didn't know anything about the name until the lawsuit forced the change to "No Place Like Sam's."  It didn't happen all at once.
I remember my father and I were driving through interior Florida in 1982 when I spotted a "Sambo's."  I said,
"Hey dad, I thought they weren't allowed to be called Sambo's anymore."  My dad looked over incredulously and said,
"They don't care down here!"
;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/13/07 at 3:05 pm

It's discriminatory on its face.  If you are an organization that feeds the homeless and you don't want Jews or Muslims eating the food you're serving, and you purposefully serve food you know they CAN'T eat.....are you saying that's legal?  It doesn't sound legal to me.  If a homeless shelter in the US did that, but instead of not serving Jews or Muslims, they chose not to serve food to black people, would you question the legality of that?

Written By: Mushroom on 01/13/07 at 3:30 pm

It's discriminatory on its face.  If you are an organization that feeds the homeless and you don't want Jews or Muslims eating the food you're serving, and you purposefully serve food you know they CAN'T eat.....are you saying that's legal?  It doesn't sound legal to me.  If a homeless shelter in the US did that, but instead of not serving Jews or Muslims, they chose not to serve food to black people, would you question the legality of that?

But they are not denying food to anybody.  They are not saying "We are not going to feed you".  They are simply providing a food that most of them will not eat.  And they are not turning anybody away.

This is what I mean about to much "Government Controll".  If they had a policy of not feeding groups of people, then you have an agruement about discrimination.  But does that apply when they are willing to give food to everybody, but it happens to be a kind of food that certain groups will not eat?

Back to my earlier analogy.  If they were giving Beef Stew, does a Hindu group have the right to protest, because to them it is a sacred animal?  What if the meal of the day is Beef Stew, and a recipiant was a devout Catholic who follows the "Meatless Friday" tradition?

I simply do not see a reason for the Government to step in here.  And I am sure that there are many other groups that are more then willing to give meals to the Muslims and Jews who are also hungry.  In fact, to me this would be a "wake-up call" for Muslims and Jews to work together to help their bretheren who need help.  Because their dietary laws are almost identicle, it would be a great thing IMHO.  It might help some of them to see how much they are alike, and stop nit-picking on the areas where they are different.  And seeing an Iman and Rabbi next to each other feeding the needy of all faiths would hopefully elp in healing at least some of the angers.

Remember, I am very much against discrimination.  I think it is morally reprehensible and disgusting.  But does that make it illegal?  Myself, I would probably try to band together groups that are willing to take care of everybody, and basically shut them out.  Open up a kitchen next door, and provide better food that everybody can eat.

Those bigots would look rather stupid, standing around and telling each other how "superior" they are, when the kitchen is empty of everybody but themselves.  And little makes me happier then seeing bigots looking stupid (which we all know that they are).

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/13/07 at 3:39 pm

But they are not denying food to anybody.  They are not saying "We are not going to feed you".  They are simply providing a food that most of them will not eat.  And they are not turning anybody away.

This is what I mean about to much "Government Controll".  If they had a policy of not feeding groups of people, then you have an agruement about discrimination.  But does that apply when they are willing to give food to everybody, but it happens to be a kind of food that certain groups will not eat?

Back to my earlier analogy.  If they were giving Beef Stew, does a Hindu group have the right to protest, because to them it is a sacred animal?  What if the meal of the day is Beef Stew, and a recipiant was a devout Catholic who follows the "Meatless Friday" tradition?

I simply do not see a reason for the Government to step in here.  And I am sure that there are many other groups that are more then willing to give meals to the Muslims and Jews who are also hungry.  In fact, to me this would be a "wake-up call" for Muslims and Jews to work together to help their bretheren who need help.  Because their dietary laws are almost identicle, it would be a great thing IMHO.  It might help some of them to see how much they are alike, and stop nit-picking on the areas where they are different.  And seeing an Iman and Rabbi next to each other feeding the needy of all faiths would hopefully elp in healing at least some of the angers.

Remember, I am very much against discrimination.  I think it is morally reprehensible and disgusting.  But does that make it illegal?  Myself, I would probably try to band together groups that are willing to take care of everybody, and basically shut them out.  Open up a kitchen next door, and provide better food that everybody can eat.

Those bigots would look rather stupid, standing around and telling each other how "superior" they are, when the kitchen is empty of everybody but themselves.  And little makes me happier then seeing bigots looking stupid (which we all know that they are).

In your very first post in this thread, you said they didn't want to serve Jews and Muslims.  Choosing who to serve and who not to serve based on race, color, creed, etc., is discrimination.....which is illegal.  Continuing on, the article said that they chose to serve pork soup.....Jews and Muslims can't eat pork.  That's the same as putting a sign in the window saying "Jews and Muslims not allowed".  You are through your actions, making it so that a group or groups of people cannot benefit from your services. 

That sounds like illegal behavior to me.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/13/07 at 6:04 pm

Homeless shelter menu, day 1:

**Pork soup, every day**

"That's discriminatory!"

Homeless shelter menu, day 2:

Mondays - Pork Soup
Tuesdays - Beef Soup
Wednesdays - Tomato Soup
Thursdays - Cream of Broccoli Soup
Fridays - Chicken Soup
Saturdays - Seafood Soup
Sundays - Chef's Choice

On Mondays, the homeless Muslims and Jewish still complain. On Tuesdays, the homeless vegetarians complain. On Wednesdays, those homeless and allergic to tomatoes complain. Thursdays, the homeless with gastric problems complain. Fridays, the homeless animal activists complain. Saturdays, those homeless allergic to seafood complain. On Sundays, all the homeless complain, because the chef making the soup is a convicted felon.

This soup kitchen's choice to intentionally serve pork soup when a decent percentage of those it served won't eat it is no doubt discriminatory, but unless you are allergic to pork you most certainly can eat it.

Methinks if I were homeless I wouldn't be so picky about who is helping me and in what fashion they choose to do so...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/13/07 at 6:36 pm

This soup kitchen's choice to intentionally serve pork soup when a decent percentage of those it served won't eat it is no doubt discriminatory, but unless you are allergic to pork you most certainly can eat it.

So instead of making the homeless shelter give up their discriminatory practices, you'd have these people go against their religious beliefs?  Some of them might, because they'd rather eat it than starve.  That's understandable.  However the more deeply religious would probably rather starve than break a part of their religious dogma.  Is that what should happen?

Written By: Red Ant on 01/13/07 at 10:09 pm

"He hath only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that on which any other name hath been invoked besides that of Allah. But if one is forced by necessity, without willful disobedience, not transgressing due limits

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/13/07 at 10:32 pm

Homeless shelter menu, day 1:

**Pork soup, every day**

"That's discriminatory!"

Homeless shelter menu, day 2:

Mondays - Pork Soup
Tuesdays - Beef Soup
Wednesdays - Tomato Soup
Thursdays - Cream of Broccoli Soup
Fridays - Chicken Soup
Saturdays - Seafood Soup
Sundays - Chef's Choice

On Mondays, the homeless Muslims and Jewish still complain. On Tuesdays, the homeless vegetarians complain. On Wednesdays, those homeless and allergic to tomatoes complain. Thursdays, the homeless with gastric problems complain. Fridays, the homeless animal activists complain. Saturdays, those homeless allergic to seafood complain. On Sundays, all the homeless complain, because the chef making the soup is a convicted felon.

Methinks if I were homeless I wouldn't be so picky about who is helping me and in what fashion they choose to do so...

karma++++  *beggers can't be choosers*, IMO.  If someone is THAT hungry...they will eat the pork product.  You can't please everybody, that's inevitable.  If the place was ONLY serving pork every single day...then that would be questionable...however, like you've stated...no matter what they serve daily, you might have people complaining.  I don't know....just my opinion.  carry on.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/13/07 at 11:14 pm

That's odd, because, to me, names like NAACP and UNCF imply "ethnic exclusivity" (a fancy term for racism), yet they are allowed to continue. If someone started a charity called "United Whitey College Fund", they would be branded as a racist, even if they helped those who aren't Caucasian get into and through college.

There's too many groups out there (representing all colors, national origins, and religious backgrounds) that try to separate themselves from everyone else. Whatever happened to "all men are created equal"?

I mostly agree with Mushroom's posts on this thread.

Personally, and just as a hopefully funny aside, if I were homeless and was served pork soup every day, I'd be complaining that the menu lacked diversity. I'd much rather be served a meal once a week with which I didn't agree than to be served the same thing all the time.

I thought of groups such as the NAACP and the Black Panthers.  The reason why this argument doesn't work because the state discriminated against African-Americans first.  Thus, it was necessary for Blacks to organize exclusively for their very survival. 

White people did not have legally encoded discrimination against them.

But the dirtiest open secret is that poor whites face terrible class-based prejudice and discrimination and they always have.  Ever since the 1960s, Blacks get the same treatment...plus the residual bigotry left over from Jim Crow and back into the antiquity of slavery. 

You find people right on this board who believe that class-based discrimination is not only acceptable, but proper and righteous.  Sixty years ago people of the same political persuasion took racial discrimination as a matter of course.  It was the natural order.  It was God's law.  Otherwise peacable white citizens became militantly enraged when progressives suggested the Negro should have equal rights with the Whites.  Go back 160 years, and you find conservatives reacted the same way to the abolitionists.  Without conscious malice, millions of Whites believed the Negro was a sub-human creature, simple-minded and childlike.  If the Negro lacks supervision, he does poorly, they believed.  The portrayal of Uncle Remus in "Song of the South" represents this kind of thinking.  Mushroom and I don't see eye to eye on this.  When I say Whites believed Blacks were inferior, I mean they believed it just as you believe the Earth revolves around the sun!

Our struggle today in America for all races and ethnicities is chiefly class struggle.  No other subject gets American politicians so nervous, and they deny nothing so vehemently as the concept of struggle between labor and capital.  The big lie is the 84 million strong "investor class."  If you have a mutual fund, you are not a capitalist, you are a worker.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/14/07 at 8:39 pm

In your very first post in this thread, you said they didn't want to serve Jews and Muslims.  Choosing who to serve and who not to serve based on race, color, creed, etc., is discrimination.....which is illegal. 

But "didn't want to" is far different from "won't".

Hey, I don't like liver very much, but I will eat it.  I don't like going to work 5 days a week, but I do it anyways.  And the group in question has stated that they will not turn anybody away, reguardless of their faith or nationality.  Is it really their fault that some groups can't eat what they (intentionally) put on the menu?

I think a lot of people are confusing "reprehensible" with "illegal".  There are a lot of things I do not like, but that does not mean that they are (or should be) illegal.  They are simply seeing something they do not like, and assuming that it is illegal.

And as Red Ant pointed out, there is also an "escape clause".  In fact, both the Jewish and Islamic faiths have a lot of clauses like that.  I know that if you are of those faiths in the military, you are given special dispensation to skip prayers, fast days, and eat non-kosher food.

And I am sure that God (or Allah, or Jehova, or whatever name you use) would understand.

Check for new replies or respond here...