» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Charities - Do they really help anyone?

Written By: ADH13 on 01/18/07 at 12:18 am

I'm sure there are a handful of good ones out there that really do help people.

I was just looking at Goodwill's website and  among the many "Click here to donate", "click here to buy", "click here to volunteer", I tried to find something along the lines of "Click here if you need help."  I didnt see much.  I saw this:

Goodwill Industries will enhance the quality and dignity of life for individuals, families, and communities on a global basis, through the power of work, by eliminating barriers to opportunity for people with special needs, and by facilitating empowerment, self-help, and service through dedicated, autonomous local organizations.

Umm, ok... but how?  So I dug a little deeper.

The clothing and household goods you donate are sold in over 2,000 Goodwill retail stores and on our Internet auction site, shopgoodwill.com. The revenues fund job training and other services to prepare people for job success.

Goodwill also generates income helping businesses fill gaps caused by labor shortages, time constraints and limited space or equipment. We train and employ contract workers to fill outsourced needs for document management, assembly, mailing, custodial work, groundskeeping and more.

More than 84 percent of Goodwill

Subject: Re: Charities - Do they really help anyone?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/18/07 at 12:38 am

It's a long story, but one time I was down and out---I'm mean really down and out--the perfect storm of bad sh!t happened to me in the space of 3 months, and I was about to be homeless.

I applied to the Salvation Army for emergency relief.

The said they couldn't help me.  Why?  I didn't have enough money.

I mean, what did I think the Salvation Army was...a charity?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

I managed to scrape by without winding up on the street, and came out of the crisis actually in better shape than I went into it. 

If anybody out there has ever had to apply for relief from either charity or government, I know how humiliating it is!

I think charitable organizations such as Goodwill, Salvation Army, and the Red Cross do a great deal of good, but they're no angels.  Investigate any of them and I'll bet you'll find plenty of bureaucracy, incompetence, and corruption....and everybody involved blaming somebody else.  It's no different in government, business, education, or non-profits.  It's just the way of the world, sorry to say.
:(

Written By: Red Ant on 01/18/07 at 12:48 am

Am I missing something here??

Yes, you were. The truly needy don't have access to the Internet.  :D

There are a fair number of decent charities still around though.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/18/07 at 12:57 am

It's a long story, but one time I was down and out---I'm mean really down and out--the perfect storm of bad sh!t happened to me in the space of 3 months, and I was about to be homeless.

I applied to the Salvation Army for emergency relief.

The said they couldn't help me.  Why?  I didn't have enough money.

I mean, what did I think the Salvation Army was...a charity?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

I managed to scrape by without winding up on the street, and came out of the crisis actually in better shape than I went into it. 

If anybody out there has ever had to apply for relief from either charity or government, I know how humiliating it is!

I think charitable organizations such as Goodwill, Salvation Army, and the Red Cross do a great deal of good, but they're no angels.  Investigate any of them and I'll bet you'll find plenty of bureaucracy, incompetence, and corruption....and everybody involved blaming somebody else.  It's no different in government, business, education, or non-profits.  It's just the way of the world, sorry to say.
:(

Yeah, I know some are really good... here in CA (not sure if its everywhere) we have the Shriners Childrens Hospital who will not turn any child away for any reason..and is based solely on volunteers and donations.  Their radio ads do of course ask for donations, but also say that if your child needs help to bring them there regardless of insurance or income.

I guess it is Goodwill's vague explanations of where their donations go that bother me.  And the fact that it is quite a maze to figure out how to get help at all, should someone need it.

I've never been one to donate money to charity.  I donate dog food to pet rescues, I donate unwanted goods, and I buy things from charities (usually Goodwill)...

That is ridiculous that Salvation Army said you didn't have enough money.  Sounds painfully similar to lenders who basically say "In order to qualify for a loan, you have to prove you don't really need it." ::)

Written By: ADH13 on 01/18/07 at 12:58 am

LOL Ok you got me there  ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 01/18/07 at 1:08 am

Yeah, I know some are really good... here in CA (not sure if its everywhere) we have the Shriners Childrens Hospital who will not turn any child away for any reason..and is based solely on volunteers and donations.  Their radio ads do of course ask for donations, but also say that if your child needs help to bring them there regardless of insurance or income.//

A Shriner's group stayed at our hotel a while back. They seemed to be genuinely good people, and their organization has been around for quite a while.  IIRC, they have 22 hospitals set up across the US.

LOL Ok you got me there  ;D

TYVM.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/18/07 at 2:15 am

That is ridiculous that Salvation Army said you didn't have enough money.  Sounds painfully similar to lenders who basically say "In order to qualify for a loan, you have to prove you don't really need it." ::)

SA has a specific housing-voucher program, but it's supposed to be a one shot deal.  I was unemployed at the time and not receiving any other income (yeah, that was scary), so they turned me down.  I kinda see the reasoning, but at the time I was like, "Well, sheeyit, if I still had my job, I wouldn't be filling out your paperwork in the first effing place!"  It's also tougher being a single male.  I do think families should get priority, of course, but when it comes to single guys, the attitude is much more like, "Hit the road ya bum!"
The SA certainly wouldn't have turned me away if I'd gone to one of their soup kitchens or food banks, and I probably could get a cot in their shelter (so long as I didn't mind a little lice and getting my shoes and wallet stolen while a crazed heroin junkie held a switchblade to my throat!"

I was better off than many.  I had family that ended up taking me in temporarily (not that it was easy on any of us), I a college degree and some marketable job skills, I didn't have a criminal record, and I wasn't hooked on drugs.  The reason I fell so far was psychiatric.  Even there, however, I only had major depression, and not schizophrenia or bipolarity. 

I know a guy who spent some time homeless because he was a heroin addict.  He had a great career out in L.A. with a big record company.  He seemed to have it all going for him.  Then he got into the dope.  He lost everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, plus he got in some trouble with the law.  He finally drifted back here where his parents took him in (at the age of 43).  He's recovering and getting on his feet.  He has a good job working in the music scene out here now.  However, when he arrived here from California he had to his name the clothes on his back and a beat-up transister radio.  He was still addled from the drugs.  Man, that was one sad sight.  Could have worse though, could have been curtains! 

But I digress from the topic....

Written By: Jessica on 01/18/07 at 10:20 am

I guess it is Goodwill's vague explanations of where their donations go that bother me.  And the fact that it is quite a maze to figure out how to get help at all, should someone need it.

Wouldn't it be easier to just go into a Goodwill store and speak to the manager and tell them , "Hey, how do I get help?! I'm poor!" :D

I donate to the Goodwill. I got a bunch of crap that is going out this weekend. I'm sure the kids love it, considering it's mostly toys. But I also donate to other places and give homeless people whatever change/dollar bills I have in my pocket. We may be broke half the time, but we have a guaranteed place to live and food to eat, so I see no problem in doing what I can to help the less fortunate.

Speaking of corrupt, there was a big stink over here about the Salvation Army and some $500,000 houses they were buying in the suburbs for some of their officers. I don't remember the whole thing, and I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm sure it can be easily Googled.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/18/07 at 12:03 pm

Not all charities are decent. Some have critera for helping, "Are you worthy enough to receive our help". Some do it to make themselves look good-others because they truly want to help. I used to volunteer for an orginization-and I was the local food shelf coordinator. The director of the orginization was really good-one reason, she knew (like myself) what it was like to be hungry, to be cold, etc. There was a constinate battle between her and the Board of Directors which most of them were "holier than thou" and had the mentality of "who is worthy of our help". She was fired and they got a new director who was basically in the same "clique" as the board. I was also a member of the board. I have since left the orginazation because I couldn't handle their constinate B.S. which is a shame. I felt like I made a difference in my little corner of the world.

As for seeking help, look around. Check things out-the Better Business Buereu (see how much an orginazation spends on programs to how much they spend on admin-yeah, they need to spend something on admin but when 50% or more of their proceeds go to admin, what good is it?) There are good ones out there who are willing to help-but you have to find them. Most of them are the small, local places-not the big names like Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.

(Sorry about all the spelling errors-the spell check is not working)

Cat

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/18/07 at 12:27 pm

I was just reading an article on this in a magazine (People, maybe?) and it gave a website to check up on charities before you give:  www.charitywatch.org.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/18/07 at 12:30 pm

The ones I've always been leery of (not all of them)...are the ones that supposedly feed the starving children in other countries.  I know there are some reputable organizations that do use your donations to help starving people...but I have heard of some scams...and I wonder just how many of these are legit.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/18/07 at 1:00 pm

The ones I've always been leery of (not all of them)...are the ones that supposedly feed the starving children in other countries.  I know there are some reputable organizations that do use your donations to help starving people...but I have heard of some scams...and I wonder just how many of these are legit.

Starving children in Africa, and for the price of a daily cup of coffee you can sponsor a child....

These have been debunked several times.  I'd have to go look for a link.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/18/07 at 1:27 pm

Starving children in Africa, and for the price of a daily cup of coffee you can sponsor a child....

These have been debunked several times.  I'd have to go look for a link.

I have often thought about sponsoring a child-but I want to sponsor one in the U.S. There are millions of kids in THIS country who are hungry and you know what they say, charity begins at home. But the problem is trying to find a ligit orginazation.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/18/07 at 1:30 pm

I have often thought about sponsoring a child-but I want to sponsor one in the U.S. There are millions of kids in THIS country who are hungry and you know what they say, charity begins at home. But the problem is trying to find a ligit orginazation.

Cat

applause!  I feel the same way. I mean, my heart does go out to children in other countries, but like you've said...there are so many children within our own realms who really need help.  I'll tell you what my uncle does every Christmas. He finds a family who is really in need and he donates a bunch of money to them anonymously. My mom works as a school nurse, and she has given him names of children in her school whom she knows really needs help....and he will give enough to them so that they have gifts/food/clothing....etc.  I wish I had more money...I would love to be able to do things like that for random people.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/18/07 at 1:36 pm

applause!  I feel the same way. I mean, my heart does go out to children in other countries, but like you've said...there are so many children within our own realms who really need help.  I'll tell you what my uncle does every Christmas. He finds a family who is really in need and he donates a bunch of money to them anonymously. My mom works as a school nurse, and she has given him names of children in her school whom she knows really needs help....and he will give enough to them so that they have gifts/food/clothing....etc.  I wish I had more money...I would love to be able to do things like that for random people.

There is another orginazation (can't remember what the name of it is) where they give families livestock. The only thing is, they have donate an offspring to the cause. Some get a flock of geese (raised for eggs/meat), another may be a cow (for milk/meat). I think it is great. Instead of just giving family $$$ that runs out, they give them a livelyhood. My oldest step-daughter and her husband once donated to that cause in our name as a Christmas gift. One of the best gifts we ever received.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 01/18/07 at 4:36 pm

Goodwill is one of the better charities.  They have had them around here for as long as I can remember, and my sister at one time worked in the organization and said that they were very conscientious about the delivery of service.  On the other hand I knew someone who worked for the Red Cross and will never in his lifetime donate a dime, and actively discourages others from donating.  I make a point of donating to their Fresh Air Camps because I have talked to some people who attended them when they were young. 

Written By: skittlesking on 01/18/07 at 10:11 pm

Ahhh--but Red Ant, when I went homeless for two weeks, I found my way of the streets on the internet--you have free daily internet access at the library and local universities that are state funded.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/18/07 at 10:25 pm

I have often thought about sponsoring a child-but I want to sponsor one in the U.S. There are millions of kids in THIS country who are hungry

Cat

And you know what happens when you ask why there are!
;)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/19/07 at 5:23 am

And you know what happens when you ask why there are!
;)

To bring up the question show disrespect for our President and our Country. People in the USA who are hungry should just get the heck out!  ::)

Written By: karen on 01/19/07 at 7:32 am

There is another orginazation (can't remember what the name of it is) where they give families livestock. The only thing is, they have donate an offspring to the cause. Some get a flock of geese (raised for eggs/meat), another may be a cow (for milk/meat). I think it is great. Instead of just giving family $$$ that runs out, they give them a livelyhood. My oldest step-daughter and her husband once donated to that cause in our name as a Christmas gift. One of the best gifts we ever received.

Cat

Might be this one

http://worldgifts.cafod.org.uk/a_wide_choice_of_gifts/cow

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/19/07 at 12:56 pm

Might be this one

http://worldgifts.cafod.org.uk/a_wide_choice_of_gifts/cow

I don't know if that was the one per say but it was similar (I think there are a few orginazations that do similar things like that). I think that is an excellent idea. The gift that keeps on giving so to speak.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/19/07 at 5:50 pm

To bring up the question show disrespect for our President and our Country. People in the USA who are hungry should just get the heck out!  ::)

That's what the British used to do...they used to send the paupers to the colonies.  So maybe it's time for the old switcharoo.  We tell the Commonwealth countries they have to take in America's poor...or get nuked!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/confused3.gif

Written By: Marian on 01/20/07 at 6:45 pm

That's what the British used to do...they used to send the paupers to the colonies.  So maybe it's time for the old switcharoo.  We tell the Commonwealth countries they have to take in America's poor...or get nuked!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/confused3.gif
;)LOl at least they won't be bored.

Written By: RTynanDDS on 02/02/07 at 1:56 pm

To get a rather objective opinion of the value of different charities, look them up at www.give.org. This site lists a large number of charities (Goodwill Industries included), and tells you how they spend their money and how they raise their money. A standard for a "well-run" charity is <25% of all income is spent on administration. Goodwill is listed at 28%, but I would guess that running a large number of stores takes a large amount of administration, so they probably are doing pretty well.

However, I do find it interesting that the "programs" portion of expenses isn't really broken down any further on the site. It'd be nice to know how charities are funding the multiple programs each one administers.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/02/07 at 2:05 pm

To get a rather objective opinion of the value of different charities, look them up at www.give.org. This site lists a large number of charities (Goodwill Industries included), and tells you how they spend their money and how they raise their money. A standard for a "well-run" charity is <25% of all income is spent on administration. Goodwill is listed at 28%, but I would guess that running a large number of stores takes a large amount of administration, so they probably are doing pretty well.

However, I do find it interesting that the "programs" portion of expenses isn't really broken down any further on the site. It'd be nice to know how charities are funding the multiple programs each one administers.

I have looked at that site many times. What gets me is the figures that a lot of these charities uses for fundraisers. I gave to Mercy Corp one time (after checking that site to see how much went into programs as opposed to how much went into admin). After that, I got phone calls, mailings, etc. etc. from them-I'm STILL getting them and I gave to them about 2 years ago. That is why I hate to give to any charity because then I get bombarded with stuff from them asking me to give more.  >:(

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/02/07 at 5:00 pm

I have looked at that site many times. What gets me is the figures that a lot of these charities uses for fundraisers. I gave to Mercy Corp one time (after checking that site to see how much went into programs as opposed to how much went into admin). After that, I got phone calls, mailings, etc. etc. from them-I'm STILL getting them and I gave to them about 2 years ago. That is why I hate to give to any charity because then I get bombarded with stuff from them asking me to give more.  >:(

Cat

Is there a way to donate anonymously?
???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/02/07 at 5:37 pm

Is there a way to donate anonymously?
???

Good question. I suppose so. Just send cash in a envelope with no forward address. And if you do that, I know a charity in Vermont that could use all the cash they can get.  ;)  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: denise on 02/02/07 at 6:32 pm

It's also tougher being a single male.  I do think families should get priority, of course, but when it comes to single guys, the attitude is much more like, "Hit the road ya bum!"

I am female and was a single and, poverty-stricken college student desperately in need of assistance to get me through a bad stretch. All I could get was tiny food stamp allotment. If I'd had even one child I would have been granted enough grocery funds to feed both of us, but a single person gets no love in this country.  I've always felt bad for single men needing assistance, but I found out the hard way that single females have it just as bad. Thank goodness those days are over (college helps!)

-Denise

Written By: ADH13 on 02/02/07 at 11:41 pm

I have looked at that site many times. What gets me is the figures that a lot of these charities uses for fundraisers. I gave to Mercy Corp one time (after checking that site to see how much went into programs as opposed to how much went into admin).

Cat

See, that's the problem though... It doesn't really help me to know what percent goes into programs unless I can see the end result of these programs... I want to know how the needy ultimately receive these donations.  Unless there is a trail through the programs that lead to our streets, I'm still suspicious.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/03/07 at 12:33 am

It's also tougher being a single male.  I do think families should get priority, of course, but when it comes to single guys, the attitude is much more like, "Hit the road ya bum!"

I am female and was a single and, poverty-stricken college student desperately in need of assistance to get me through a bad stretch. All I could get was tiny food stamp allotment. If I'd had even one child I would have been granted enough grocery funds to feed both of us, but a single person gets no love in this country.  I've always felt bad for single men needing assistance, but I found out the hard way that single females have it just as bad. Thank goodness those days are over (college helps!)

-Denise

I most certainly didn't mean to imply it was easy for women...or eay for anyone!

Ask as a citizen for assistance from your government in this country, and they treat you like any enemy of the state.  One brush with the system was enough to tell me that!

Written By: Marian on 02/08/07 at 5:25 pm

-Denise
I know--go figure.isn't a "family" just 2 people who couldn't think far enough ahead to use birth control?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/08/07 at 8:06 pm

I know--go figure.isn't a "family" just 2 people who couldn't think far enough ahead to use birth control?

Well, that's a bit cold-hearted, isn't it?

There is personal responsibility and then there are lives so chaotic they preclude viable exercise of personal responsibility.  The Right goes nuts when they heart that, but it's true. 

Then there are a great many families who require assistance who were independent, but fell on hard times--job loss, death, spousal abandonment, etc. 

Surely, you can find cases in which both parents were remiss from the start, but even then society is better off if nobody suffers privations.

Isn't it funny how conservatives wear their "love" for children on their sleevs, but they are against funding family planning and against funding social programs such as WIC and Headstart.

Love the fetus, hate the child---that's the real credo of the Right!
::)

Written By: FlowerGirl on 02/11/07 at 10:35 pm

Yes, I believe they do!  They still have to use some of the funds to operate, though.  They are non profit organizations.

Written By: karen on 02/12/07 at 4:09 am

Yes, I believe they do!  They still have to use some of the funds to operate, though.  They are non profit organizations.

Agreed but there is a difference between using funds to operate and spending more than 50% of your income paying your top staff

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/12/07 at 2:04 pm

Agreed but there is a difference between using funds to operate and spending more than 50% of your income paying your top staff

10%-20% is acceptable. Anything more than that, I wouldn't give my $$$ to that organization.

Cat

Written By: Marian on 02/15/07 at 2:36 pm

Well, that's a bit cold-hearted, isn't it?

There is personal responsibility and then there are lives so chaotic they preclude viable exercise of personal responsibility.  The Right goes nuts when they heart that, but it's true. 

Then there are a great many families who require assistance who were independent, but fell on hard times--job loss, death, spousal abandonment, etc. 

Surely, you can find cases in which both parents were remiss from the start, but even then society is better off if nobody suffers privations.

Isn't it funny how conservatives wear their "love" for children on their sleevs, but they are against funding family planning and against funding social programs such as WIC and Headstart.

Love the fetus, hate the child---that's the real credo of the Right!
::)

Well,not really--the government is cold-hearted for not helping her more ,essentially just because she didn't have unprotected sex.I think family planning is a great idea.It seems she would not have thought of starting a family until she was financially secure.I know some formerly secure families fell on hard times.But too many people,who don't have the financial means,decide to have unprotected sex simply because it was the right decision for "me".They're so self-absorbed that their sexual fullfillment i s more important to them than making sure any child that results has a home and enough to eat.

Check for new replies or respond here...