» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Dakota Fanning Film Reviled By Conservative Groups For Child Rape Scene

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/24/07 at 10:37 am

A Sundance Film Festival movie about child abuse "Hounddog" has gained controversy for a rape scene involving 12-year-old Fanning. Although no sex or nudity was seen, religious and conservative groups are calling on a ban on their film, claiming that the scene violates child protection laws.  In my view, if the rape scene serves a purpose in the film (which a movie about child abuse probably would), and no actual penetration happened, then how does that violate any laws. The sad fact is children are molested every day around the world, and banning "objectionable" scenes won't stop or even curtail this sick society. :\'(

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20070124/116965842000.html

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SUNDANCE_HOUNDDOG?SITE=ININS&SECTION=ENTERTAINMENT

Subject: Re: Dakota Fanning Film Reviled By Conservative Groups For Child Rape Scene

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/24/07 at 10:38 am

I am not going to see this film, it sounds disgusting. 

Subject: Re: Dakota Fanning Film Reviled By Conservative Groups For Child Rape Scene

Written By: Jessica on 01/24/07 at 10:53 am

It's a movie. Let's keep that in perspective. As much as I dislike Dakota Fanning, she seems very mature for her age and I'm sure she understood the elements of the story she was filming. Besides, she grew up in Hollywood. I'm sure she has seen far worse than a script that calls for a child rape scene.

I don't remember a big outcry against "Bastard Out of Carolina" when it came out. That also features a child rape scene. Come to think of it, "Hounddog" sounds a whole lot like that movie. Hmmm.

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/24/07 at 10:55 am

Good for you, Jamie. People don't have to see it. I wouldn't watch this either. But that's why America is what it is. It doesn't sound like a crowd pleaser, but Indie studios don't make crowd pleasing movies. Maybe the shock-value is more important to them than the message, which would be tragic.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/24/07 at 1:48 pm

I am going to see this film, it sounds disgusting!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/evil6.gif

Seriously, look you guys,
THIS IS NOT A BIG DEAL.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/24/07 at 2:59 pm

Actually, the movie is about the ways that the girl learns to cope with her abusive upbringing (through music).  I know of 3 people that have seen it, and that the "rape" was not explicit at all.  The most you see of her is in underwear, and you can see more skin then that in a Sears catalog, or on the beach.

It is a movie about how a young abused child learns to cope.

If somebody else has a problem with that, then I suggest they not see the movie.  But this is also a movie that might help bring some comfort to the children that are out there, and have not discovered a way to cope with thier situation.

And if they hate this movie, I shudder to think what they thought about "Teeth".  ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 01/24/07 at 3:34 pm

"The disturbing scene lasts a few minutes but is not graphic. There is no nudity, the scene is very darkly lit and only Fanning's face and hand are shown"

This is a non-issue.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/24/07 at 6:20 pm

Actually, the movie is about the ways that the girl learns to cope with her abusive upbringing (through music).  I know of 3 people that have seen it, and that the "rape" was not explicit at all.  The most you see of her is in underwear, and you can see more skin then that in a Sears catalog, or on the beach.

It is a movie about how a young abused child learns to cope.

If somebody else has a problem with that, then I suggest they not see the movie.  But this is also a movie that might help bring some comfort to the children that are out there, and have not discovered a way to cope with thier situation.

And if they hate this movie, I shudder to think what they thought about "Teeth".   ;D

If FOX News was broadcasting in 1976, the "Taxi Driver" would be front page news for the wrong reason!
In re Fanning
God forbid we show a depiction of how one actually copes, not a depiction of how one is supposed to cope!  God forbid we don't insert Bill O'Reilly's little do's and don't's into the script!  Some people would have us turn everything into an afterschool special, but I'll tell ya, that's not how the "real" world works!
::)

Written By: McDonald on 01/25/07 at 11:16 am

Maybe if conservative groups like this weren't so worried about what's in movies, on TV, on the radio etc... they would be able to spend their time doing more intelligent things... like attempting to come up with sane policies.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/25/07 at 3:21 pm

If FOX News was broadcasting in 1976, the "Taxi Driver" would be front page news for the wrong reason!
In re Fanning
God forbid we show a depiction of how one actually copes, not a depiction of how one is supposed to cope!  God forbid we don't insert Bill O'Reilly's little do's and don't's into the script!  Some people would have us turn everything into an afterschool special, but I'll tell ya, that's not how the "real" world works!

How about Pretty BabyButterflyFlowers In The AtticLolita?

One thing that is certain: no matter what, you always have some group (frequently religious) that will protest almost anything even slightly controversial.  And here is the big secret: both the groups and the makers of these types of movies/books/music/TV shows want it that way!

Even The Passion had protests, by Jewish groups.  And remember all the Muslims protesting the Disney version of Alladdin?  The protests frequently give the movie free publicity.  And the groups get to both recruit new members and raise money because of all the "free air time".

I largely ignore these kinds of things.  Since the movie is rated R, kids should not be able to see it without their parents.  And from what I have read about the content, the kids are much more likely to want to see something like "Porky's" then this movie.

Written By: KKay on 01/25/07 at 3:23 pm

everyone has been going on and on about this for months. i can't comment till I see it.
I won't take anyone else's word for it.

let them rant. it will all dissolve until the next controversial movie comes out.
\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/25/07 at 10:09 pm

How about Pretty BabyButterflyFlowers In The AtticLolita?

One thing that is certain: no matter what, you always have some group (frequently religious) that will protest almost anything even slightly controversial.  And here is the big secret: both the groups and the makers of these types of movies/books/music/TV shows want it that way!

Even The Passion had protests, by Jewish groups.  And remember all the Muslims protesting the Disney version of Alladdin?  The protests frequently give the movie free publicity.  And the groups get to both recruit new members and raise money because of all the "free air time".

I largely ignore these kinds of things.  Since the movie is rated R, kids should not be able to see it without their parents.  And from what I have read about the content, the kids are much more likely to want to see something like "Porky's" then this movie.

I don't get it.  If I'm a true-blue Christian who's 'sposed to believe God can hear me whisper in the dark, didn't I get a clue that if He could hear me thinking about naked ladies, He could hear a bunch of greaseball Hollywood producers signing a contract for a film defaming His name?  So God could have smite O.T. O.G wrath down on these muddafokkers before the ink even dried.  "Exorcist," "Last Temptation," "Passion," "Oh! God Books I-IV...." these abominations would have gotten, dare I say, aborted?  Or was God just more concerned with me taking His name in vain at recess?
(The Divine Reply:  "Here's another b*tch slap for y'all, and another 500 millennia in Purgatory!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/angel3.gif

Written By: Jessica on 01/25/07 at 10:21 pm

everyone has been going on and on about this for months. i can't comment till I see it.
I won't take anyone else's word for it.

let them rant. it will all dissolve until the next controversial movie comes out.
\

You won't be seeing it anytime soon, I think. It hasn't been picked up for distribution or something.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/25/07 at 10:28 pm

Must one be a conservative or religious type to find this disturbing?  I've listened to the commentators say child rape and abuse is real and this film brings it to light. So we need Hollywood to make a film to alert us to the crime. I think the fact that there are laws against it pretty much mean it's a well known fact.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/25/07 at 10:39 pm

You won't be seeing it anytime soon, I think. It hasn't been picked up for distribution or something.

Very few movies shown in "Film Festivals" ever are.  In fact, mostly they are showcases for movies that are considered "Undistributable" for one reason or another.  Many times, this is the only place they ever see the light of day.

However, some movies get enough fame to go on to have successful national or international screenings (The Blair Witch Project).  Then others are simply panned or remarked about, and fade off into obscurity.

Then there are those that somehow make it to release, and are once again publically ridiculed and paned.  A good example of this is "Brown Bunny".  I have seen that piece of junk, and think that I would rather watch a movie about explosive diarrhea then have to sit through it a second time.

For those that forgot about Brown Bunny, it was booed and ridiculed at 2003 Cannes Film Festival.  Vincent Gallo (the writer, producer, director, and star) actually went on the offensive, and paid to have it released out of his own pocket.  One of the most controversial parts was his then girlfriend Chlo

Written By: Jessica on 01/25/07 at 10:44 pm

However, some movies get enough fame to go on to have successful national or international screenings (The Blair Witch Project).  Then others are simply panned or remarked about, and fade off into obscurity.

The Blair Witch Project was the stupidest piece of crap I ever rented. I don't know why everyone went on and on about how it was awesome and scary and wonderful.

For those that forgot about Brown Bunny, it was booed and ridiculed at 2003 Cannes Film Festival.  Vincent Gallo (the writer, producer, director, and star) actually went on the offensive, and paid to have it released out of his own pocket.  One of the most controversial parts was his then girlfriend Chlo

Written By: KKay on 01/25/07 at 10:49 pm

yeah, i heard that too.
someone whill get their hands on it.

you are all raising interesting points.  these threads always make good reading.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/25/07 at 10:50 pm

(The Divine Reply:  "Here's another b*tch slap for y'all, and another 500 millennia in Purgatory!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/angel3.gif

Well, Purgatory is a Catholic belief.  Since I am a Presbyterian, I of course do not believe in it.

Personally, I believe that it is everybodies right to believe whatever they like.  And no matter what, you will always have people that object to something.  I believe that somebody has the right to say "don't see this movie".  But people also have the right to ignore them and see it anyways.

After all, do "Conservative" and "Christian" groups not have the right to use their "right to free speech" to speak out about something they object to?  I may agree with them, I may not.  But that is their right.

Oh, and I think you will find very few "Christian" groups that objected to "The Passion".  And the opinions about "Oh, God" are actually rather mixed.  Some absolutely loved it, others hated it because in their belief it used a "Graven Image" (George Burns playing the part of God).  Myself, I enjoyed the movie, and watch it once a year or so (I own the DVD).  And while most "Christian Groups" objected to "The Last Temptation Of Christ", I actually enjoyed it very much.  I only wish that the Criterion Collection edition was not out of print.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/25/07 at 11:17 pm

As a father of a teen girl , and an especially a over protective cautious father to say the least, it's a disturbing incident to witness in any way. Reviews say  it's done "tastefully" and it's dark, but even the implication of a child rape is brutal and while her recovery is probably the part that should get more focus, the attack is not something a dad of a young girl wants to see or hear in any way just for entertainment. I saw people being interviewed last night after watching the movie and more than 50% were head shaking speechless. Those were probably the conservative religious right viewers  ;D

Written By: Jessica on 01/25/07 at 11:22 pm

As a father of a teen girl , and an especially a over protective cautious father to say the least, it's a disturbing incident to witness in any way. Reviews say  it's done "tastefully" and it's dark, but even the implication of a child rape is brutal and while her recovery is probably the part that should get more focus, the attack is not something a dad of a young girl wants to see or hear in any way just for entertainment. I aw people being interviewed last night after watching the movie and more than 50% were head shaking speechless. Those were probably the conservative religious right viewers  ;D

Child rape is an unfortunate fact of life in other countries. I just read an article about a six year old girl who was sold to a brothel and used by men every night. She's now HIV positive. Or the nine year old who was used by up to 40 men a night. :\'(

To me, the true stories are far more disturbing and sickening than a simulated act on a screen. We should be focusing on those REAL issues, not some movie.

God, I'm gagging just thinking about those poor babies now. I f*cking hate people sometimes.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/25/07 at 11:59 pm

Child rape is an unfortunate fact of life in other countries. I just read an article about a six year old girl who was sold to a brothel and used by men every night. She's now HIV positive. Or the nine year old who was used by up to 40 men a night. :\'(

To me, the true stories are far more disturbing and sickening than a simulated act on a screen. We should be focusing on those REAL issues, not some movie.

God, I'm gagging just thinking about those poor babies now. I f*cking hate people sometimes.
very true. and face it, she's getting paid a lot of money to do this. She's not up there to make a statement. Acting is her job. I probably wouldn't watch it, although seeing her utilize Elvis Presley tunes to assist in her coping sounds somewhat interesting.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/26/07 at 12:17 am

Well, Purgatory is a Catholic belief.  Since I am a Presbyterian, I of course do not believe in it.

And that's why as a good Chrisian man, you will still spend half an eternity in Purgatory.  Look.  Either they're wrong or you're wrong.  Are you going to say they're wrong?  Are you going to make that gamble Pascal was not willing to take?

Personally, I believe that it is everybodies right to believe whatever they like.  And no matter what, you will always have people that object to something.  I believe that somebody has the right to say "don't see this movie".  But people also have the right to ignore them and see it anyways.
Well, the crowd outside of "The Last Temptation of Christ" was the only amusing part.

After all, do "Conservative" and "Christian" groups not have the right to use their "right to free speech" to speak out about something they object to?  I may agree with them, I may not.  But that is their right.
I don't remember fundamentalist preachers being staved off in droves!

Oh, and I think you will find very few "Christian" groups that objected to "The Passion".  And the opinions about "Oh, God" are actually rather mixed.  Some absolutely loved it, others hated it because in their belief it used a "Graven Image" (George Burns playing the part of God).  Myself, I enjoyed the movie, and watch it once a year or so (I own the DVD).  And while most "Christian Groups" objected to "The Last Temptation Of Christ", I actually enjoyed it very much.  I only wish that the Criterion Collection edition was not out of print.

Please, I didn't say no Christians objected to "Passion."  The "Oh! God" movies, I was just being facetious.  It's enjoyable for '70s kitsch if no other!  Hey, you got John Denver driving a Pacer.  It just doesn't get anymore '70s.

What's different about subsequent prints?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/26/07 at 12:20 am

I just had a thought about the way we phrase statistics, but the explanation would offend everybody!

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/26/07 at 1:08 pm

I don't remember a big outcry against "Bastard Out of Carolina" when it came out. That also features a child rape scene. Come to think of it, "Hounddog" sounds a whole lot like that movie. Hmmm.

I was just coming in here to post about that movie. I saw it on Lifetime, and if they can show that scene on television (Which lasted quite a long time, and even included an open-mouthed kiss), I don't see a problem with this movie.

Written By: Tia on 01/26/07 at 1:19 pm

i saw some thing on yahoo the other day that ms. fanning is getting really upset about how everybody crackin' on her mom for letting her do this and whatnot. personally, as long as the shooting is handled humanely, i dont see the problem. and i think what the director says is interesting.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070125/film_nm/sundance_fanning_dc

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/26/07 at 2:49 pm

Glad to hear Ms. Fannng speak up for herself.

Unfortunately, it will not deter the religious right.  It will only encourage them. 
Why should you shut up when God likes you better than me?

They'll go on and on about how she's going to regret it in a few years, and how she's just a child and she couldn't possibly understand how she's being exploited, and how she's just brainwashed, and blah-blah-blah!

Written By: Tia on 01/26/07 at 3:08 pm

haha! roger ebert handed that dude his ass! that's such a great putdown.

okay, see? i've never even heard of "The brown bunny" but now i'm all curious what could be so bad. i fall for this every time.

anyway, if you read interviews with ex-child actors usually the scenes that troubled them aren't necessarily the ones you would assume. children are rather carefully protected on set, you can't even work them more than a couple hours a day! and they have to get tutoring and there's all sorts of rules. my trick of putting the kids through boot camp and locking them in car trunks to get a better performance out of them would never fly around here. that's why i make all MY movies in Colombia.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/26/07 at 3:18 pm

haha! roger ebert handed that dude his ass! that's such a great putdown.

okay, see? i've never even heard of "The brown bunny" but now i'm all curious what could be so bad. i fall for this every time.

anyway, if you read interviews with ex-child actors usually the scenes that troubled them aren't necessarily the ones you would assume. children are rather carefully protected on set, you can't even work them more than a couple hours a day! and they have to get tutoring and there's all sorts of rules. my trick of putting the kids through boot camp and locking them in car trunks to get a better performance out of them would never fly around here. that's why i make all MY movies in Colombia.

Made in Colombia: Where life is cheap!

The "Brown Bunny" sounds like it was pretty lame, but all the participants were well-above the age of consent. 

Yeah, Roger Ebert looks like an easy target, but I wouldn't recommend it!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nono.gif

Written By: Tia on 01/26/07 at 3:40 pm

is the brown bunny controversy anything like "kids"? of course THAT movie was actually good but i have to admit i had a bunch of times where i was like, whoa, this is just... wrong, on so many levels. and as i never tire of pointing out, i have no morals so it's tough to freak me out.

anyway, dammit, now i have to put brown bunny on my queue even though i know i'm going to hate it.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/26/07 at 3:57 pm

The "Brown Bunny" sounds like it was pretty lame, but all the participants were well-above the age of consent. 

Well, here is the synopsys from Wikipedia:

A motorcycle racer (played by Gallo) undertakes a cross-country drive in search of his former lover. On his way, he meets different women, but is unable to form an emotional connection with them. In the film's final scene, Gallo's character finally meets up with his ex-lover (Chlo

Written By: Tia on 01/26/07 at 4:04 pm

yeah, i'm reading some of the netflix commentary on BB and am cooling on the idea of queuing it. although i recently watched a movie called "confessions of a sorority girl" and liked it, even though EVERYONE but me gave it one star. mainly cuz it was talky and densely plotted and basically sexless and with a title like that everyone was expecting a sex romp.

oo! and one of the movies they link to from BB is "anatomy of hell," by a french director catherine breillat, whom i quite like -- and my friend samantha, who's a vince gallo fan, seems to appreciate her too. and she pretty much does the same kinda totally gross-me-out perverse i-dare-you-to-watch-my-disgusting-weird-movie stuff. she happens to be a psychotic genius, though, so she can get away with it.

i dunno, i'ma try it out. maybe the dvd has a special "reduced driving" option.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/26/07 at 9:09 pm

Well, here is the synopsys from Wikipedia:

A motorcycle racer (played by Gallo) undertakes a cross-country drive in search of his former lover. On his way, he meets different women, but is unable to form an emotional connection with them. In the film's final scene, Gallo's character finally meets up with his ex-lover (Chlo

Written By: pardeekid on 01/28/07 at 1:22 pm

This is currently making news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAMqG4OoRgQ

Peo are pulling out older movies, w/ the same type content... to compare. Does anyone have the movie clip fr the rape scene in...

http://www.answers.com/topic/bastard-out-of-carolina-film-1

That is reported to be much more distrubing.

pardeekid at gmail.com

P-Out

Written By: Tia on 01/28/07 at 2:20 pm

"well, forget cat in the hat. in her next movie she gets raped, and WE see it happen!"

"and is her next film too mature for audiences?"

gawd, who writes this stuff?! lol.

Check for new replies or respond here...