» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: My School's Forthcoming Anti-SO Discrimination Charter...

Written By: velvetoneo on 01/30/07 at 8:25 pm

Okay, here's my plan.

As president of our nascent Gay-Straight Alliance, I plan to draft a charter sent around to Block 1 classes with the people who show up the day of our next meeting as the first adherents to the covenant. There will be 25 blank spaces, and it will be totally elective to sign the list. Signature of the list would entail that the signer would refrain from discrimination (including bullying) and threatening language and actions based on sexual orientation or purported sexual orientation, and the front would contain a short charter statement about support of GLBT groups signed by the administration.

Ideas?

Basically, my goal is to create a less threatening environment for our practically nonexistent gay community and to make people more comfortable with coming out of the closet. In other words, to try to make the word "******" just as unacceptable as "n*gger", when now it's practically tolerated (through peer pressure!)

Any advice is appreciated. I also want ideas as to how to implement more programs school-wide.

Subject: Re: My School's Forthcoming Anti-SO Discrimination Charter...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/31/07 at 2:01 pm

That sounds great. Not too sure if I have ideas that could help, though. I'll think about it and see if any ideas come to me.

Cat

Subject: Re: My School's Forthcoming Anti-SO Discrimination Charter...

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/31/07 at 10:25 pm

If you can get the admin to sign it, I think it's a great idea.  Of course, it's not really binding, but it's a step in the right direction O0

Check for new replies or respond here...