» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The New Improved Slavery Apology Thread

Written By: jackas on 01/31/07 at 9:33 am

I'm interested to hear some opinions on this topic.  Here's an article that talks a little about it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070130/ap_on_re_us/slavery_apology

I was just wondering if anyone thinks there should/shouldn't be an apology and why or why not.

If there is an apology, who should make it and will it change anything.

Subject: Re: Slavery Apology

Written By: gumbypiz on 01/31/07 at 11:14 am

Don't know how an apology would change anything (no matter who makes the apology statement)...

What would the apology be, how would it be stated?

Are we to suppose, that by not having an apology, made that whites are NOT sorry for pains and evils of slavery?

I understand the symbolic reasons for this, but really there are more important things we need to focus on in this country.... I don't see how an apology accomplishes anything...

Written By: Mushroom on 01/31/07 at 12:46 pm

I see no reason for an apology.

After all, none of this happened even remotely within my lifetime.  In fact, I was born roughly 100 years after slavery in this country ended.  In fact, a lot of my family did not even enter this country until after slavery ended.

If somebody really wants an apology, fine.  I apologize.  I apologize for my Norwegian ancestors that came here in the 1880's.  I apologize for my French ancestors that came here about the same time.  I even apologize for my ancestors that were here at the time, but were living on reservations.

Not that it means a damned thing.  My apology and $1 will get you a cup of coffee.

Myself, I live in the "here and now", not in the "way back when".  I refuse to live my life with some kind of "ancestral guilt", like some people think I should.  To me, the concept sounds a bit to much like "Original Sin".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/31/07 at 1:55 pm

I don't think that a person should apologize but institutions should-i.e. the U.S. Government. Also, I think that the apology should be backed up, meaning do completely away with Jim Crow. I know several people are going to jump all over me and say that Jim Crow no longer exist which is B.S. Jim Crow is alive and well but only went underground and is not quite obvious.

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 01/31/07 at 2:00 pm

I'm sorry, for something I didn't do. Lynched somebody, but I don't know who?? You blame me, for slavery, A hundred years before I was born! I'm just guilty of being white.  ::)

Written By: Davester on 01/31/07 at 2:08 pm

In short, no.  The idea is ridiculous bordering on ludicrous and smacks of politically correct hand wringing...

Something altogether different:

Weren't there a large number of free Negros who owned black slaves..?

Written By: Mushroom on 01/31/07 at 2:38 pm

I doubt that "large number" would really be accurate.  Although in the 18th century, there were black slave holders in the North.  And there were also a large number of "white slaves".  And don't forget the American Indians who were bound in slavery as well.

Of course, in the modern world, the vast majority of slave holders are black.  Sadly, it is an all to common state in many African nations.  But it is also commonly practiced in some areas of Asia. 

In fact, according to UN statistics, there are more slaves in 2007 then at any time in the last 1,000 years.  To give an idea of the scale, it is estimated that in Africa, there are more than 7 times more slaves then the US held in the 1850's (the height of the US slave holdings - around 4.5 million slaves, compared to an estimated 27 million slaves in Africa today).  While at the time of abolition a slave in the US cost around $1,000 ($38,000 in todays currency), slaves can be bought in many areas of the world for as little as $40.  One of the highest priced markets in the world is in Thailand.  There, a young HIV free female goes for around $800.

Written By: Davester on 01/31/07 at 2:49 pm

I doubt that "large number" would really be accurate.  Although in the 18th century, there were black slave holders in the North.  And there were also a large number of "white slaves".  And don't forget the American Indians who were bound in slavery as well.

Of course, in the modern world, the vast majority of slave holders are black.  Sadly, it is an all to common state in many African nations.  But it is also commonly practiced in some areas of Asia. 

In fact, according to UN statistics, there are more slaves in 2007 then at any time in the last 1,000 years.  To give an idea of the scale, it is estimated that in Africa, there are more than 7 times more slaves then the US held in the 1850's (the height of the US slave holdings - around 4.5 million slaves, compared to an estimated 27 million slaves in Africa today).  While at the time of abolition a slave in the US cost around $1,000 ($38,000 in todays currency), slaves can be bought in many areas of the world for as little as $40.  One of the highest priced markets in the world is in Thailand.  There, a young HIV free female goes for around $800.

Okay, here a stupid question for you...

Slavery exists in Africa today..?  27 million.?!  I really did not know that...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/31/07 at 3:19 pm

Yes, slavery still exists today-unfortunately. Not just in Africa, but Asia and believe it or not, right here in the U.S. I don't know exactly what the figures are. The saddest part about today's slavery is the fact that most of the slaves today were sold by their own parents.

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 01/31/07 at 3:27 pm

Somalia and Sudan are major nations in the modern slave trade.  As well as Ethiopia, India, Pakistan, Togo, Benin, Thailand, and other nations.

In Africa, the major source are the many "Islamic Holy Wars".  The vast majority of the "Islamic Liberation Armies" work under ancient beliefs, and view thost captured as slaves.  Under "Ilsamic Law"., they are free to dispose of them as they wish, as "Spoils Of War".  Men are frequently castrated or killed.  Children are normally turned into farmhands (where they are sold for an average of $50), and women are forced into brothels.

In the smaller "tribal wars" like in Somalia, slavery is an effective way to eliminate a tribal group.  The people are sold to other regions or in other countries, effectively destroying the tribe.  Nigeria and Gabon are major slave importers, most of them comming from nations that are currently under "Islamic Revolutions" (like sudan), or going through "ethnic clensing" (like Somalia).

Then thee is the slavery in SE Asia.  Thailand is a major part of the "Sex Slavery Trade".  The rate of HIV is truely appaling there, so there is a constant demand for "young disease free girls".  Mostly they are bought from small villages, where the parents sell them for between $100-500.  They are then brought into the major cities to work as prostitutes.  They normally spend the next 2-5 years there, until they are discarded (normally because they contract HIV).  At that point, they are cast off into the streets.

And the same practice occurs in the Philippines, Singapore, China, India, and many other nations.  In many of these cultures, girls have very little value, so are often sold as any other commodity (like a cow).

Until 2002, slavery was also widely practiced in Afganistan.  Under the Taliban regieme, slavery was permitted as long as the person had been convicted in an Islamic Court (or was not a Muslim).

Written By: Davester on 01/31/07 at 3:29 pm

Yes, slavery still exists today-unfortunately. Not just in Africa, but Asia and believe it or not, right here in the U.S. I don't know exactly what the figures are. The saddest part about today's slavery is the fact that most of the slaves today were sold by their own parents.

Cat

Are we talking prostitution or sex related slavery or slave labor..?  I had an idea that slavery existed in pockets around the world (sex related and slave labor) but the 27 million figure Mushroom provided is shocking...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/31/07 at 3:53 pm

Are we talking prostitution or sex related slavery or slave labor..?  I had an idea that slavery existed in pockets around the world (sex related and slave labor) but the 27 million figure Mushroom provided is shocking...

Prostitution, agraculture, sweat shops, you name it. Like I said, I'm not too sure what the exact figure is but I don't think Mushroom's figure is far off. Here is an interesting link that could give you some figures broken down by country. Just click on a country.

http://www.gvnet.com/humantrafficking/

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 01/31/07 at 4:10 pm

I don't feel the state needs to apologize.  If the state wanted to apologize they should have done it back in the late 19th century or early 20th while there were still former slaves alive.  But the Vatican apologized for putting Galileo to death centuries after it happened.  Well, I guess it couldn't hurt. :-\\

Written By: Davester on 01/31/07 at 4:45 pm

Prostitution, agraculture, sweat shops, you name it. Like I said, I'm not too sure what the exact figure is but I don't think Mushroom's figure is far off. Here is an interesting link that could give you some figures broken down by country. Just click on a country.

http://www.gvnet.com/humantrafficking/

Cat

Why thank you ma'am...

I shall read up... :)

Written By: Mushroom on 01/31/07 at 5:14 pm

Are we talking prostitution or sex related slavery or slave labor..?  I had an idea that slavery existed in pockets around the world (sex related and slave labor) but the 27 million figure Mushroom provided is shocking...

All of the above.

And the number is just what the UN officially recognizes.  That does not count the "Virtual Slavery" like what Cat mentioned.  The 27 million figure covers just the people that are forced into the situation, with no way to escape it.  "Virtual Slavery" (like Share Cropping) does not count in the figures, since there is a teoretical way to leave such a bondage, and most people entered it willingly (even if they were mislead into the situation).

I don't feel the state needs to apologize.  If the state wanted to apologize they should have done it back in the late 19th century or early 20th while there were still former slaves alive.  But the Vatican apologized for putting Galileo to death centuries after it happened.  Well, I guess it couldn't hurt. :-\\

Galileo was not executed.  However, he was excommunicated, and placed under "House Arrest".  He spent the last 9 years of his life under house arrest, finally dying in 1642 at the age of 68 of natural causes (most think it was either TB or pneumonia).

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/02/07 at 4:32 pm

I deleted all the name calling and off topic nonsense from this thread. 

Please remain civil to one another.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/02/07 at 5:07 pm

I owe a Slavery Apology apology.
:-\\

Subject: Re: The New Improved Slavery Apology Thread

Written By: ADH13 on 02/02/07 at 11:36 pm

I think anyone who is truly anti-discrimination would have to answer no to this question.

Unless, of course, they are offering an apology to all people who the government and society may have wronged, past or present.

To be truly non-discriminatory, one would have to see each person as a person, without regard to race or color.  This includes any policies or gestures that favor or disfavor blacks.  To single out any race for any reason, imo, is racism.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/03/07 at 12:38 am

I think anyone who is truly anti-discrimination would have to answer no to this question.

Unless, of course, they are offering an apology to all people who the government and society may have wronged, past or present.

To be truly non-discriminatory, one would have to see each person as a person, without regard to race or color.  This includes any policies or gestures that favor or disfavor blacks.  To single out any race for any reason, imo, is racism.

I see prejudice/bigotry as individual opinion, whereas "racism" is a actionable agenda a government/institution sets forward to discriminate against people based on race.  I don't say that's set in stone, it's just a distinction I make.

Written By: jackas on 02/03/07 at 12:47 am

I see prejudice/bigotry as individual opinion, whereas "racism" is a actionable agenda a government/institution sets forward to discriminate against people based on race.  I don't say that's set in stone, it's just a distinction I make.

I agree with this.  People can prejudge with out being racist.  A lot of people use the term racism too freely.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/03/07 at 12:57 am

I agree with this.  People can prejudge with out being racist.  A lot of people use the term racism too freely.

I do too, but I think of prejudice more as a personal opinion that isnt necessarily acted upon, I obviously won't give examples in order to avoid Chucky having to delete more posts... but I think the government singling out a specific race or color to apologize to is a bit racist/discriminatory... the thought is good... but why not apologize to all people who have been wronged?  I just think that when you start singling out races for whatever reason, it only adds to the problem...

Also I might add that what is completely unacceptable now was acceptable back then, just as many things that are acceptable now (abortion comes to mind) maybe in another hundred years the great-great grand-nieces of the aborted fetuses will be demanding an apology... who knows?

(and yes I know that last sentence was grammatically awful... Im tired)

Written By: jackas on 02/03/07 at 6:17 am

I do too, but I think of prejudice more as a personal opinion that isnt necessarily acted upon, I obviously won't give examples in order to avoid Chucky having to delete more posts... but I think the government singling out a specific race or color to apologize to is a bit racist/discriminatory... the thought is good... but why not apologize to all people who have been wronged?  I just think that when you start singling out races for whatever reason, it only adds to the problem...

Also I might add that what is completely unacceptable now was acceptable back then, just as many things that are acceptable now (abortion comes to mind) maybe in another hundred years the great-great grand-nieces of the aborted fetuses will be demanding an apology... who knows?

I don't believe anyone or any part of our government should apologize either.  This is truly an issue that we have to move away from...it is not good for anyone in our society to sit and dwell on what happened.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/03/07 at 4:39 pm

I wouldn't mind an apology for the the continuing ramifications of US apartheid that I deal with in my lifetime. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/03/07 at 5:40 pm

Talk is cheap, and apologies tend only to be constantly manipulated (see: Israel.) Israel used the worthless "guilt" of Europe over the Holocaust to become a state; now, Europe is broiling in the new anti-Semitism and the "Holocaust apology" theorem has only hurt Israel. Apologies are worthless; I don't for a second believe that the Holocaust actually lessened anti-Semitic feelings in much of continental Europe, among a continent with a people too ignorant and divisive to realize that centuries of anti-Semitism could combine with lunacy and modern industrial technology to exterminate an entire people.

If there were to be apologies, everyone would be apologizing to everybody

Written By: Jessica on 02/03/07 at 6:48 pm

Karma and amen.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/03/07 at 11:56 pm

Karma and amen.

I second that! :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/04/07 at 12:00 am

Talk is cheap, and apologies tend only to be constantly manipulated (see: Israel.) Israel used the worthless "guilt" of Europe over the Holocaust to become a state; now, Europe is broiling in the new anti-Semitism and the "Holocaust apology" theorem has only hurt Israel. Apologies are worthless; I don't for a second believe that the Holocaust actually lessened anti-Semitic feelings in much of continental Europe, among a continent with a people too ignorant and divisive to realize that centuries of anti-Semitism could combine with lunacy and modern industrial technology to exterminate an entire people.

I pretty much agree.  One thing about Germany, they said after WWII, ain't nobody flying the Swastika flag around here ever again!  And I think that's an equivocally good thing!

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/04/07 at 12:54 pm

I think when you start singling out anyone, it adds to the problem.

One of the problems I see with this is: where do we draw the line?  How much is enough?  I've heard people talk about how the government should now honor the "20 acres and a mule" promise that was made and I wonder who will actually GET that?  What I mean is let's say John Doe was a slave and freed with that promise.  He never received it and went on to have 4 kids, who in turn had 4 kids each, who in turn each had 4 kids.  Now, we're up to 84 people.  Do we give each of them the "value" of the promise?  Do we give all of them the value to divide evenly?  Do we give them the current value or the value when it was promised?  Do we give them the value when promised + X amount for appreciation?  And, what if one of his children married another offspring of a freed slave?  If, as DanootaandMe has pointed out, it is so difficult to trace the genealogy of slaves, how are we to determine who is truly entitled to it?  And, let's not forget the possibility that some of them may have sold it or not really "done" anything with it so it would be just "sitting there" right now.  There are just too many variables here.....

The truth is that an apology is only "lip service"......is it really going to make a difference one way or the other?

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/04/07 at 2:33 pm

An old friend of mine once observed that the US achieved wealth and power by enslaving one race and exterminating another.  Let me also point out that German institutions that profited from slave labor during the war have been making restitution.  I agree that this is  a complex issue and that there is no way to change the past, but I think we as a nation need to face our national and institutional guilt in order to put it behand us.  The ramifications of our national transgressions are still with us, and can be seen on any Indian reservation and in many black ghettos.  M.L. King made reference to some in one of his speeches, when he refered to the idea of black people pulling themselves up by their bootstraps, and observed that "...it is a cruel jest to tell a shoe-less man to pull himself up by his bootstraps."  I'm not advocation restitution on a personal level, for individuals, but I do believe that there needs to be recognition and some form of atonement.

Written By: Davester on 02/04/07 at 3:16 pm

An old friend of mine once observed that the US achieved wealth and power by enslaving one race and exterminating another.  Let me also point out that German institutions that profited from slave labor during the war have been making restitution.  I agree that this is  a complex issue and that there is no way to change the past, but I think we as a nation need to face our national and institutional guilt in order to put it behand us.  The ramifications of our national transgressions are still with us, and can be seen on any Indian reservation and in many black ghettos.  M.L. King made reference to some in one of his speeches, when he refered to the idea of black people pulling themselves up by their bootstraps, and observed that "...it is a cruel jest to tell a shoe-less man to pull himself up by his bootstraps."   I'm not advocation restitution on a personal level, for individuals, but I do believe that there needs to be recognition and some form of atonement.

Couldn't Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, Civil Rights/Civil Liberties Legislation be considered atonement..?

As for monertary restitution:  Money can make one happy, but it won't make one forgive...

Written By: La Roche on 02/04/07 at 3:19 pm

Couldn't Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, Civil Rights/Civil Liberties Legislation be considered atonement..?

I'd say so.

Of course.. one could say that ensuring that no more poor children (and lets face it, the majorty of them are minoritys) die from malnutrition and childhood diseases that are easily prevented.

Make up for Slavery - Provide Care!

I already said much earlier in this thread, I dislike the idea of monetary payments because it's essentially saying "Hey, we're guilty of being white." I mean, why punish somebody who had nothing to do with it?

But! Ensuring that the people who've been handicapped by the process don't suffer unjustly would be a step in the right direction.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/04/07 at 3:36 pm

An old friend of mine once observed that the US achieved wealth and power by enslaving one race and exterminating another.  Let me also point out that German institutions that profited from slave labor during the war have been making restitution.  I agree that this is  a complex issue and that there is no way to change the past, but I think we as a nation need to face our national and institutional guilt in order to put it behand us.  The ramifications of our national transgressions are still with us, and can be seen on any Indian reservation and in many black ghettos.  M.L. King made reference to some in one of his speeches, when he refered to the idea of black people pulling themselves up by their bootstraps, and observed that "...it is a cruel jest to tell a shoe-less man to pull himself up by his bootstraps."  I'm not advocation restitution on a personal level, for individuals, but I do believe that there needs to be recognition and some form of atonement.

As for monertary restitution:  Money can make one happy, but it won't make one forgive...
I was going to ask a similar question:  what do you suggest for "atonement"?  Also, what type of "recognition"?  I know that Bush & Clinton have both spoken out against slavery, as well as (I'm sure) a few others.  Does our government need to come out and say "We're sorry" for it to be considered "recognition"? 

Another thing that popped into my mind is who else needs to apologize?  Almost every country in the world has "benefitted" from slavery at one point or another.  Heck, even some African nations profitted from the slave trade because THEY were the ones selling the slaves to us.  Are they going to be asked to apologize as well?

Written By: Davester on 02/04/07 at 3:41 pm

I'd say so.

Of course.. one could say that ensuring that no more poor children (and lets face it, the majorty of them are minoritys) die from malnutrition and childhood diseases that are easily prevented.

Make up for Slavery - Provide Care!

I already said much earlier in this thread, I dislike the idea of monetary payments because it's essentially saying "Hey, we're guilty of being white." I mean, why punish somebody who had nothing to do with it?

But! Ensuring that the people who've been handicapped by the process don't suffer unjustly would be a step in the right direction.

Yes, of course...

All (GWLs)Guilty White Liberals, and power driven black community/religious leaders (I do so hate to label) if you want to truly help the black community rise up, if you truly want to make equal partners of ALL the members of the melting pot, then please focus on the following:

1. Elementary Education...
  2. Crime...
  3. Secondary Education...

There are so very many things that can be done, we simply refuse to do them.  Reparations will just help to create a dependent, uber-victim culture in American society.  You, Mr. Black man, are not smart enough, not worldly enough, not connected enough to educate yourself and seize your own opportunity and make your own way in the world, so I, in my infinite wisdom (cleverly dressed guilt) will do it for you, and in doing so, force you to exchange opportunity for oppression and freedom for a new American slavery groove ;) on...

Written By: dance4fun on 02/04/07 at 9:52 pm

Beings that the slave owners and the slaves themselves are passed away, why?

America has changed in a lot of ways and it no longer exists here, so we should move on.

If it were to be done, would it make any of the (former slave's) relatives feel any better about the past, that can't be changed?

I mean I saw Roots and I thought it was so cruel, the way the negro people were treated.  I've also saw the moie "Mississippi Burning" and
there was cruelty there that I hated.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/04/07 at 10:35 pm

Who still uses the word "negro" to describe black people?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/04/07 at 10:36 pm

Who still uses the word "negro" to describe black people?

dance4fun

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/04/07 at 10:38 pm

dance4fun

Other than her.  What is this......1950?  I'm not an expert on appropriate word usage, but I don't think that word is acceptable anymore.

Written By: Davester on 02/04/07 at 11:04 pm

Other than her.  What is this......1950?  I'm not an expert on appropriate word usage, but I don't think that word is acceptable anymore.

If being used in an historical context, such as the present discussion, it is appropriate...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/04/07 at 11:06 pm

If being used in an historical context, such as the present discussion, it is appropriate...

I can think of other words used to describe black people during that time period, but that doesn't mean they should be used NOW. 

Written By: Davester on 02/04/07 at 11:13 pm

I can think of other words used to describe black people during that time period, but that doesn't mean they should be used NOW. 

That's fine....

Written By: La Roche on 02/05/07 at 7:50 am

What is the correct term now? It changes every 5 minutes.

I generally would just say black.. same as most people would say I'm white. I dare say that's wrong too.  :-\\

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/05/07 at 8:01 am

I generally would just say black.. same as most people would say I'm white. I dare say that's wrong too.  :-\\

I would call you ghost,but you would probably like it ;D

Written By: Jessica on 02/05/07 at 10:11 am

Human works for everyone. Of course, you're going to have those jackasses that don't see it like that.

Written By: La Roche on 02/05/07 at 10:28 am

I would call you ghost,but you would probably like it ;D

I ain't that pale!

You wait until the summer when I go Mexican on your ass.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/06/07 at 1:30 am

Human works for everyone. Of course, you're going to have those jackasses that don't see it like that.

You hit it right on the head.

Written By: La Roche on 02/06/07 at 8:18 am

You hit it right on the head.

Well...

I'd kinda rather somebody didn't refer to me as 'That Human Guy'. It's a bit vague.

Imagine the police descriptions -

"We have a young human male, in pursuit."
'What does he look like?'
"Human."
'I see... that narrows it down a bit.'

Written By: Jessica on 02/06/07 at 10:26 am

Well...

I'd kinda rather somebody didn't refer to me as 'That Human Guy'. It's a bit vague.

Imagine the police descriptions -

"We have a young human male, in pursuit."
'What does he look like?'
"Human."
'I see... that narrows it down a bit.'

;D

I'd say if it were something like that, other descriptions would work. But in daily use and such, there should be no reason to bring up color or race. I mean, if two guys are applying for the same job, and they're both qualified and everything, but one is one color/race and the other is another color/race, that shouldn't matter. They should make them run The Gauntlet for the job. :D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/06/07 at 10:28 am

^ I miss American Gladiators.

Written By: La Roche on 02/06/07 at 10:51 am

;D

I'd say if it were something like that, other descriptions would work. But in daily use and such, there should be no reason to bring up color or race. I mean, if two guys are applying for the same job, and they're both qualified and everything, but one is one color/race and the other is another color/race, that shouldn't matter. They should make them run The Gauntlet for the job. :D

I read a study some University did. Where they applied for the same jobs, with the same skills on the resume, once set of people used the names like Brad, Tom and Jen. The other used names like Mohammed, Levi and Shaniqua. Can you guess who got the majorty of interviews?

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/06/07 at 1:35 pm

^ I miss American Gladiators.
There's always that bad Japanese version of it on Spike late at night :D

Written By: jackas on 02/06/07 at 1:36 pm

LOL  That's great!

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/06/07 at 1:43 pm

Just this morning I read a piece in the paper by Bob Herebert of the NY Times about a black guy who was railroaded as a teenager for killing a white kid.  A Fed judge said he got a raw deal, the parole board said he got a raw deal, but he is still in jail.  Meanwhile, a white guy convicted of a drive by shooting of a black teen served 10 years of a life sentence and got out.  What gives with that?

Written By: Jessica on 02/06/07 at 1:45 pm

MXC? That show is badass.

Written By: jackas on 02/06/07 at 1:47 pm

Just this morning I read a piece in the paper by Bob Herebert of the NY Times about a black guy who was railroaded as a teenager for killing a white kid.  A Fed judge said he got a raw deal, the parole board said he got a raw deal, but he is still in jail.  Meanwhile, a white guy convicted of a drive by shooting of a black teen served 10 years of a life sentence and got out.  What gives with that?

Do we know the circumstances of their crimes?  Did they have prior convictions?  What age were they when the crime was committed?  What was their intent during the crime?  Were they in different states?  There may be a lot of information that was left out of that article to start controversy.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/06/07 at 2:14 pm

Do we know the circumstances of their crimes?  Did they have prior convictions?  What age were they when the crime was committed?  What was their intent during the crime?  Were they in different states?  There may be a lot of information that was left out of that article to start controversy.

Gary Tyler

Written By: jackas on 02/06/07 at 2:26 pm

Gary Tyler

Written By: Mushroom on 02/06/07 at 5:26 pm

A lot of times, this simply has to deal with the laws at the time the person was convicted.

Quite often, penalties are either increased or decreased for various crimes.  However, this normally does not cover people who have already been convicted.  And it works both ways.

In the early 1970's when the Supreme Court decided that Capitol Punishment as enacted was "Cruel & Unusual Punishment", all people convicted to Death were instantly commuted to "Life Without Parole".  However, a great many states (including California) did not have such a penalty.  This meant that everybody who was on Death Row is suddenly not only commuted to Life, but was eligable for parole.

This change caught a lot of people.  Among them are Charles Manson,  Jimmy Lee Smith and Gregory Powell (The Onion Field Killings), Sirhan Sirhan, and a great many convicted murderers were suddenly free of their former sentence.  And in the later decades, many of them did make parole.

And in the reverse, Carjacking was not a seperate crime in most areas until the mid 1990's.  Anybody convicted of the crime before then was only convicted of general armed theft laws.  But in areas that enacted special Carjacking laws (like California), subsequent prosecutions saw much higher terms for people convicted of the same crime.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/06/07 at 5:35 pm

A lot of times, this simply has to deal with the laws at the time the person was convicted.

Quite often, penalties are either increased or decreased for various crimes.  However, this normally does not cover people who have already been convicted.  And it works both ways.

In the early 1970's when the Supreme Court decided that Capitol Punishment as enacted was "Cruel & Unusual Punishment", all people convicted to Death were instantly commuted to "Life Without Parole".  However, a great many states (including California) did not have such a penalty.  This meant that everybody who was on Death Row is suddenly not only commuted to Life, but was eligable for parole.

This change caught a lot of people.  Among them are Charles Manson,  Jimmy Lee Smith and Gregory Powell (The Onion Field Killings), Sirhan Sirhan, and a great many convicted murderers were suddenly free of their former sentence.  And in the later decades, many of them did make parole.

And in the reverse, Carjacking was not a seperate crime in most areas until the mid 1990's.  Anybody convicted of the crime before then was only convicted of general armed theft laws.  But in areas that enacted special Carjacking laws (like California), subsequent prosecutions saw much higher terms for people convicted of the same crime.

That being said, it still appears that everyone agrees this guy is in jail despite all the evidence saying he was railroaded. 

Written By: Mushroom on 02/06/07 at 5:41 pm

That being said, it still appears that everyone agrees this guy is in jail despite all the evidence saying he was railroaded. 

I do not know any specifics on this case, and am actually not commenting on the specifics involved in this situation.  He may be railroaded, he may be caught in a situation where penalties between the original conviction and now have changed.  It may be both.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/06/07 at 5:53 pm

Gary Tyler

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/06/07 at 7:11 pm

I read a study some University did. Where they applied for the same jobs, with the same skills on the resume, once set of people used the names like Brad, Tom and Jen. The other used names like Mohammed, Levi and Shaniqua. Can you guess who got the majorty of interviews?

If they were applying for positions at universities, I wouldn't doubt it.  I used to see want ads for university teaching positions in which applicants were instructed to send applications directly to the affirmative action office.  Fair?  No.

But you will not get me to draw the Dinesh D'Souza conclusion that black activists and white liberals are evil. 

400 years of slavery and 100 years of Jim Crow is going to make everything a bit screwy.  It will take at least another generation to work things out.

As for John Law, you get the best legal counsel you can afford.  O.J. Simpson is in not in prison.  You can say the O.J. jury had a chip on its collective shoulder, but if O.J. had to rely on a court-appointed attorney, we all know he would have been sent up on a 2nd degree murder conviction. 

A. Ensure is a diet supplement.
b. The majorit of poor children--thus poor families--are white in America.  When Ronald Reagan created the racist canard of the "welfare queen," 87% of welfare recipients were white mothers.  There is a concerted effort to keep the image of deep, systemic poverty one of "minorities."  It isn't.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/06/07 at 8:19 pm

b. The majorit of poor children--thus poor families--are white in America.  When Ronald Reagan created the racist canard of the "welfare queen," 87% of welfare recipients were white mothers.  There is a concerted effort to keep the image of deep, systemic poverty one of "minorities."  It isn't.
While the actualy number of people on welfare are considered "white", it depends on if you are counting Hispanics as "white" and if you're strictly talking numbers.  If you look at % of each "race" on welfare, a smaller % of whites are on it than "minorities".  Statistics can be skewed depending on how you look at things ;)

Written By: La Roche on 02/06/07 at 8:20 pm

A. Ensure is a diet supplement.

Terribly sorry for my callous disregard for statistics.  ;)

I was baseing this on when I drive through East St. Louis.. considerd one of the poorest areas of the country. There is nay a white face to be seen.

Written By: Mushroom on 02/06/07 at 9:01 pm

As for John Law, you get the best legal counsel you can afford.  O.J. Simpson is in not in prison.  You can say the O.J. jury had a chip on its collective shoulder, but if O.J. had to rely on a court-appointed attorney, we all know he would have been sent up on a 2nd degree murder conviction. 

The OJ Simpson actually says nothing about race in america.  It is much more a story of money and popularity then anything else.

How else can you explain all of the other celebrities that get away with crimes?  Michael Jackson, Robert Blake, and all the others that either get away with it, or who get penalties well below what you or I would get when facing the same charges.

Most people get 6 months to 2 years for agravated domestic assault.  Christian Slater gets 59 days.  Most people get serious jail time for a second incident of Hit and Run.  Halle Berry gets 200 hours community service (in California, a 10mph speeding ticket can be worked off with 80 hours community service).  Most people do serious jail time for assaulting a police officer, but Zsa Zsa Gabor only does 3 days.

When you have fame and money, you can literally get away with murder.  I am sure that if Scott Peterson had "The Dream Team", even he would have gotten away with murder.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/07/07 at 8:10 am

I don't think celebrities should even "count" when arguing about being unjustly tried/convicted.  If you have enough $$, like Mushroom said, you can get away with just about anything with just a slap on the wrist. 

I think on the subject of being tried/convicted, it all depends on where you are.  MJ was accused of molestation in California and was tried/found not guilty within the matter of what? a year?  R. Kelly was VIDEOTAPED having sex with underage girls and here it is 5 years later and he's STILL not gone to trial.  Then again, it's Cook County.  Based on the info provided, I think Tyler's getting the shaft, but can't make an informed decision without more info....

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 1:47 pm

I don't think celebrities should even "count" when arguing about being unjustly tried/convicted.  If you have enough $$, like Mushroom said, you can get away with just about anything with just a slap on the wrist. 

I think on the subject of being tried/convicted, it all depends on where you are.  MJ was accused of molestation in California and was tried/found not guilty within the matter of what? a year?  R. Kelly was VIDEOTAPED having sex with underage girls and here it is 5 years later and he's STILL not gone to trial.  Then again, it's Cook County.  Based on the info provided, I think Tyler's getting the shaft, but can't make an informed decision without more info....

Cook County = slower than molasses in January

Written By: STAR70 on 02/07/07 at 2:28 pm

Yes, slavery still exists today-unfortunately. Not just in Africa, but Asia and believe it or not, right here in the U.S.
Cat

MAIL ORDR BRIDES

Written By: Jessica on 02/07/07 at 2:29 pm

Cook County = slower than molasses in January

And the new president/director dude of Cook County is a tool.

Written By: STAR70 on 02/07/07 at 2:33 pm

I

"weren't there a large number of Jews who collaborated with the Nazis during the Holocaust?"

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 2:35 pm

What point are you trying to make?

Written By: STAR70 on 02/07/07 at 2:36 pm

People can prejudge with out being racist.  A lot of people use the term racism too freely.

then following your logic, can people be misogynistic WITHOUT being sexist?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 2:39 pm

misogyny = a hatred of women

sexism = behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex (gender)

So the answer is yes.  One deals specifically with women, the other with gender as a whole.  Although sexism is usually applied toward women, it is not a woman-specific behavior.

Written By: jackas on 02/07/07 at 2:45 pm

then following your logic, can people be misogynistic WITHOUT being sexist?

Yep.  Being sexist or prejudice doesn't necessarily mean you hate or dislike that person.  If I say that women are bad drivers...that is a sexist remark, but it doesn't mean I dislike women.

Kinda like saying women prefer cats. ;D

Written By: STAR70 on 02/07/07 at 2:46 pm

misogyny = a hatred of women

sexism = behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex (gender)

So the answer is yes.  One deals specifically with women, the other with gender as a whole.  Although sexism is usually applied toward women, it is not a woman-specific behavior.

then believing that women are genetically inferior isn't "sexist?"

Written By: STAR70 on 02/07/07 at 2:47 pm

cats are a chick thing

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 2:48 pm

Where do you see anything that says "genetically inferior" attached to either of those words?  Did I type in invisible font?

One means "hatred of women".  The other is as Jacks pointed out, saying something like "women should just cook and clean". 

Where did you get "genetically inferior" from? 

Written By: jackas on 02/07/07 at 2:49 pm

cats are a chick thing

Ah, yes...those were the exact words. ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 2:49 pm

Ah, yes...those were the exact words. ;D

My dad loves cats, too.  I guess he's confused?  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/07/07 at 2:50 pm

Yep.  Being sexist or prejudice doesn't necessarily mean you hate or dislike that person.  If I say that women are bad drivers...that is a sexist remark, but it doesn't mean I dislike women.

My ex-husband used to always say "D@mn woman driver" whenever someone would do something stupid. More times than not, I would point out that it was guy who did it. He learned his lesson.

Cat

Written By: STAR70 on 02/07/07 at 2:52 pm

Where do you see anything that says "genetically inferior" attached to either of those words?  Did I type in invisible font?

One means "hatred of women".  The other is as Jacks pointed out, saying something like "women should just cook and clean". 

Where did you get "genetically inferior" from? 

can you answer the question?

Written By: jackas on 02/07/07 at 2:52 pm

My ex-husband used to always say "D@mn woman driver" whenever someone would do something stupid. More times than not, I would point out that it was guy who did it. He learned his lesson.

Cat

Your ex was an As$hole.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 2:55 pm

Can you try not to pull stuff from thin air?  BTW, answer my question while you're at it.  Where did you get "genetically inferior" from?  It had no relevance to anything that was being discussed prior to you introducing it.   

... yes it is sexist and I don't recall anyone here saying it was not.  In fact, you're the only person to bring that topic up.  Quel surprise.

Written By: jackas on 02/07/07 at 2:55 pm

My dad loves cats, too.  I guess he's confused?  ;D

Must be....since we are lumping everone into sterotypes here. ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/07/07 at 2:56 pm

Your ex was an As$hole.

That is putting it mildly. Are you sure you didn't know him?  :D :D

Cat

Written By: jackas on 02/07/07 at 2:57 pm

That is putting it mildly. Are you sure you didn't know him?  :D :D

Cat

LOL  I've seen many things you've said about him here. ;D

Written By: STAR70 on 02/07/07 at 3:00 pm

Can you try not to pull stuff from your butt?  BTW, answer my question while you're at it.  Where did you get "genetically inferior"?  It had no relevance to anything that was being discussed prior to you introducing it.

I'll try to make this as simple as I possibly can.

Statement: "I hate women because they are genetically inferior to men"

Is the above statement misogynistic or sexist?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/07/07 at 3:02 pm

LOL  I've seen many things you've said about him here. ;D

Karma to you.

Cat

Written By: jackas on 02/07/07 at 3:04 pm

I choose A....no.....it's D.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 3:04 pm

Could you break it down further for me?  I'm just a stupid woman.  I think you used too many big words, and my tiny brain can't comprehend all that. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/07/07 at 3:05 pm

The answer is "none of the above" as the statement is stupid.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 3:05 pm

The answer is "none of the above" as the statement is stupid.

DAMN IT!  I chose C.  :(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/07/07 at 3:06 pm

DAMN IT!  I chose C.  :(

It's alright, you still have 2 X chromosomes to my mere lonely X...

Written By: STAR70 on 02/07/07 at 3:06 pm

cats or dogs?

Written By: jackas on 02/07/07 at 3:07 pm

Karma to you.

Cat

Cha-ching. :)

Thanks!

Written By: STAR70 on 02/07/07 at 3:08 pm

Could you break it down further for me?  I'm just a stupid woman.  I think you used too many big words, and my tiny brain can't comprehend all that. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 3:08 pm

What was the question again?  I forgot to write it down.

Written By: La Roche on 02/07/07 at 3:09 pm

You answered the question yourself.. the word hate implies that you have a total disdain, disgust and.. quite obviously, hatred of them. That would be what we call Misogyny.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 3:10 pm

You answered the question yourself.. the word hate implies that you have a total disdain, disgust and.. quite obviously, hatred of them. That would be what we call Misogyny.

Well then if he answered it himself, why is he crawling up my tuchus to answer it?  What a dumbsky.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/07/07 at 3:13 pm

Damn defective Jeopardy buzzer...blast you Ken Jennings!

Written By: STAR70 on 02/07/07 at 3:13 pm

Well then if he answered it himself, why is he crawling up my tuchus to answer it?  What a dumbsky.

so then hatred of women based on a sense of gentic superiority isn't sexist?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 3:13 pm

Damn defective Jeopardy buzzer...blast you Ken Jennings!

The answer was in front of him all along!  That's asking people if the blue sky is in fact, blue.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 3:14 pm

I'm referring you to MurderFace's post.

Written By: Tia on 02/07/07 at 3:17 pm

i'd say it's both.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/07/07 at 3:18 pm

Well, see, if he omitted the "hate" part then it could be construed as a sexist statement.  There's a difference between overt hatred and snubbery methinks.

BTW, no, I don't think we should apologize to anyone.  Unless the Mongorians aporogize for bleaking down our schitty warr.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 3:20 pm

Well, see, if he omitted the "hate" part then it could be construed as a sexist statement.  There's a difference between overt hatred and snubbery methinks.

BTW, no, I don't think we should apologize to anyone.  Unless the Mongorians aporogize for bleaking down our schitty warr.

I rove your warr. 

Written By: La Roche on 02/07/07 at 3:23 pm

Well, first of all, hatred of women based on a sense of genetic superiority is flawed. On a genetic level women have the edge.

Second of all, what you're trying to do here is get me to define a word as another word. Misogyny is the superlative term in a sexist ladder.

"Engrish Murraflucka, do you spreek it?"

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/miramax_films/pulp_fiction/_group_photos/john_travolta15.jpg

Written By: STAR70 on 02/07/07 at 3:24 pm

I'm referring you to MurderFace's post.

in your view:
hatred of women based on a sense of gentic superiority isn't sexist.

therefore:
hatred of an ethnic or racial group based on a sense of genetic superiority isnt't racist?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 3:26 pm

in your view:

therefore:
hatred of an ethnic or racial group based on a sense of genetic superiority isnt't racist?

I never said any of that.  What the holy HELL are you talking about?!  I never said anything WASN'T sexist.  It IS sexist.  Therefore, if you want to be cute, the second statement IS racist. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 3:27 pm

Why do people with the word "star" in their name keep ruining Chrissy's thread?

Written By: La Roche on 02/07/07 at 3:27 pm

in your view:

therefore:

I see your logic here.. it's the same Bizaro-world logic I sometimes like to use. But we both know it's not actual factual.

On a scale of 1-10 in the dislike for a specific group of people scale.. it goes like this.

10 - Racism/Hatred/Misogyny

5 - Prejudice/Sexism

0 - Acceptance

Written By: STAR70 on 02/07/07 at 3:28 pm

i'd say it's both.

yes. this whole line of questioning came about from whether someone could be prejudiced without being racist.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/07/07 at 3:29 pm

in your view:

therefore:

Actually, it is technically more a philosophy of eugenics than racism.  However, because the genetics involved in the past eugenics war wasn't the same as the fictional Star Trek war between the humans and the Eugenics led by Khan, but rather because they were J00z, yeah, that's racist.

Written By: Tia on 02/07/07 at 3:29 pm

\most expressions of male violence (physical, social, economic, whatever) against women i think are both misogynist and sexist. beating your wife because she's physically weaker than you makes you a misogynist AND a sexist. making sure your secretary never gets a promotion because you think women aren't capable of doing more than administrative assistant duties is misogynist and sexist.

BUT... you can think that women are simpler than you but genuinely love and adore them, as so many men did before the feminist movement, in the 50s and so forth -- this makes you sexist but not misogynist, but in the context of a largely misogynist culture.

you can hate women because you think they're superior to men. (lydia lunch thinks men resent women because they're capable of childbirth -- it's the opposite of penis envy, she calls it "menstrual envy," and though i get the impression she's half joking i believe that's a real and very common phenomenon.) this makes you misogynist but not sexist.

there. i have spoken. glad to sort this out for everyone.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 3:30 pm

Prejudice: preconceived judgment or opinion  (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b : an instance of such judgment or opinion c : an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

Racism:  a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

The two are not the same.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/07/07 at 3:31 pm

yes. this whole line of questioning came about from whether someone could be prejudiced without being racist.

That can happen.  For example, I am prejudiced against Budweiser because it tastes like crap, but that doesn't make me a racist.

But on a more serious note...you can be prejudiced against Asians because they're supposedly smarter (not always true), against Jews because they're moneygrubbing gnomes (not always true), against blacks because they're better athletes but poorer students (not always true).  Those are stereotypes and don't necessarily belie racism.

Written By: Tia on 02/07/07 at 3:32 pm

what's the word for hating men? are we pretending that doesn't exist?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/07/07 at 3:33 pm

I assume it's something like misandrony...andro = man, gyno = woman.  Sorta like misanthropy methinks.

I could look it up.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 3:34 pm

what's the word for hating men? are we pretending that doesn't exist?

misandry

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/07/07 at 3:35 pm

Ah, I was close...

Misandry

Written By: Tia on 02/07/07 at 3:35 pm

yes, but i think it's funny the term was never coined.

instead "manbashing" caught on. for hating women, we have a fancy greek term from the days of myth. for hating men, we have a modern slangy term with indefatiguably 20th-century origins. i wonder why the difference -- probably because the concept of hating women came from academia, whereas the concept of hating men came from popular culture.

okay, looking at the posts that were made in the meantime -- there's "misandry," but no one ever uses it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 3:36 pm

I love the Wiki article on it:

Therefore, for brevity, this section uses Nathanson and Young's classifications and characterizations as a preliminary guide within which to contain the anecdotal observations of other authors.

* Laughing at Men: In this, the most benign form of misandry, sexism is applied to popular forms of humor. Men are routinely made the objects of steoreotypical ridicule in ways that would generate sustained outrage were the sexes reversed. Nathonson and Young note that feminists "may sometimes find it hard to laugh at themselves as feminists, though not as women, but seldom find it hard to laugh at men."

* Looking Down on Men: Misandric "feminists have convinced many people that women are somehow superior to men." For whatever reasons, many men believe this as well. Like other groups, feminists interpret differences between the sexes as "an excuse to assign superiority and inferiority" in the usual hierarchical fashion.

* Bypassing men: In this view, men are "not necessarily evil, just superfluous." Feminists like Andrea Dworkin urge as little contact as possible with men, separation of the sexes and indifference to men (rather than hostility toward men). Men are considered useless as lovers, husbands, fathers and as human beings.

* Blaming Men: To blame men for all of human history, gender-feminists use the conspiracy theory of history to claim that "all of human history can be reduced to a titanic conspiracy" of men oppressing women. Nathanson and Young note that "evidence is often deliberately falsified to make (misandric) political claims about gender." The result is that "men are collectively or vicariously responsible for most or all of human suffering."

* Dehumanizing Men: In this form of misandry, men are shown as inherently evil while women are seen as inherently good or even heroic. Men are highlighted as the evil predatory sex that preys on an innocent, morally superior sex as represented by women. Evil women who commit heinous crimes against men (or children) are rarely shown or are shown using double standard interpretations that conceal female inhumanity. In essence, men are considered morally unredeemable beasts while women are considered morally redeeming human beings.

* Demonizing Men: Men are shown as demonic, both as sinister subhumans and as evil superhumans. Men are directly demonized by being portrayed as devils or as evil aliens. They are also demonized indirectly by being relentlessly identified with hideously predatory men whose actions "either are not or cannot be explained entirely or adequately to viewers in rational terms."

Written By: Tia on 02/07/07 at 3:38 pm

everyone gets into spectrums of extremity. i need dialectics, baby! dialectics! complementary and contradictory terms engaging in complex relationships.

you know, gender studies would actually be very interesting if it weren't so damn political.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 3:39 pm

everyone gets into spectrums of extremity. i need dialectics, baby! dialectics! complementary and contradictory terms engaging in complex relationships.

you know, gender studies would actually be very interesting if it weren't so damn political.

I wish GSU had a class like that I could have taken as an elective.  It sounds interesting.

Written By: Tia on 02/07/07 at 3:39 pm

i love that wiki article. i've known ALL them gals man.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/07/07 at 3:40 pm

UC Berkeley had a women's studies major.  Ironically, there were no men's studies majors to complement it.

Written By: Tia on 02/07/07 at 3:41 pm

I wish GSU had a class like that I could have taken as an elective.  It sounds interesting.
it's a fascinating subject. it's about the complicated ways we think about birth and death. but in actual execution on college campuses, it always boils down to defensive bickering between chicks angry over some dude who makes more than them at the office, and dudes who are pissed cuz they think they won't be able to watch football anymore.

Written By: Tia on 02/07/07 at 3:44 pm

UC Berkeley had a women's studies major.  Ironically, there were no men's studies majors to complement it.
i think the response to this might be akin to the classic response of parents to children who complain about there not being a "kids' day": "honey, every day is kids' day."

which is not to say men are like children. it is to say that any discussion about gender has to be tempered with a real-world assumption that this IS a man's world, it HAS BEEN a man's world, and it will probably continue to be until we do something real to change it. (i mean, just... look at the breakdown of the US senate.)

having said that, anyone who's angry over that state of things shouldn't bring their anger into everyday discussion of the issues. the first step to solving problems of social inequity involves discussing them level-headedly to find some kind of common understanding....

Written By: jackas on 02/07/07 at 3:46 pm

UC Berkeley has a bunch of misandrists. ::)

Written By: Tia on 02/07/07 at 3:46 pm

a gender thread would actually be cool. like the slavery thread wasn't imflammatory enough!

but the beauty of it is, with my avatar, i can play both sides against the middle.

Written By: jackas on 02/07/07 at 3:47 pm

i think the response to this might be akin to the classic response of parents to children who complain about there not being a "kids' day": "honey, every day is kids' day."

which is not to say men are like children. it is to say that any discussion about gender has to be tempered with a real-world assumption that this IS a man's world, it HAS BEEN a man's world, and it will probably continue to be until we do something real to change it. (i mean, just... look at the breakdown of the US senate.)

having said that, anyone who's angry over that state of things shouldn't bring their anger into everyday discussion of the issues. the first step to solving problems of social inequity involves discussing them level-headedly to find some kind of common understanding....

Or....how there is a black history month but no other race has a special month.  Bam....back to the slavery apology. :P

Written By: jackas on 02/07/07 at 3:48 pm

a gender thread would actually be cool. like the slavery thread wasn't imflammatory enough!

but the beauty of it is, with my avatar, i can play both sides against the middle.

I guess with my avatar I can do the same....and be superior in the religion threads.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/07/07 at 3:49 pm

Or....how there is a black history month but no other race has a special month.  Bam....back to the slavery apology. :P

There is a Hispanic History Month-I believe it is Sept.

Cat

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/07/07 at 3:52 pm

Or....how there is a black history month but no other race has a special month.  Bam....back to the slavery apology. :P

HA!  We get Chinese New Year!  :D

Still not apologizing btw.  I wanna see some Union Pacific stock in my portfolio (free of charge) for all the efforts my brethren put forth to put holes in mountains :D

Written By: La Roche on 02/07/07 at 4:02 pm

HA!  We get Chinese New Year!  :D

Still not apologizing btw.  I wanna see some Union Pacific stock in my portfolio (free of charge) for all the efforts my brethren put forth to put holes in mountains :D

My Great Great Grandpappy Greenville Dodge oversaw the building of large parts of the trans-continental railway.... I refuse to apologise to you Rice.

Written By: La Roche on 02/07/07 at 4:04 pm

I often wondered.. how there are black music awards, black history days/weeks/months, black film awards, black sports awards...
...... but!

If I made my dream Ceremony 'The Whiteys' I'd get in trouble.

I feel opressed... I want an apology.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 4:07 pm

^^you bring up a really good point, one I don't think many people want to talk about.

Written By: La Roche on 02/07/07 at 4:08 pm

^^you bring up a really good point, one I don't think many people want to talk about.

Me.. about reverse discrimination?

Or Rice.. about choo choo trains?

Written By: STAR70 on 02/07/07 at 4:11 pm

That can happen.  you can be prejudiced against Asians because they're supposedly smarter (not always true), against Jews because they're moneygrubbing gnomes (not always true), against blacks because they're better athletes but poorer students (not always true).  Those are stereotypes and don't necessarily belie racism.

they usually do

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 4:13 pm

That.

Written By: Tia on 02/07/07 at 4:14 pm

i'm gonna get no end of sheesh for admitting it but...

that was a pretty good one.

Written By: STAR70 on 02/07/07 at 4:15 pm

I have peach inspediment

Written By: STAR70 on 02/07/07 at 4:21 pm

i'm gonna get no end of sheesh for admitting it but...

that was a pretty good one.

the poster boy jam !

Written By: Tia on 02/07/07 at 4:23 pm

well, gee. that wasn't even that bad.

*shakes fist skyward at mods*

c'mon yall! star70's an anarchist! he can take a little heat yo!

Written By: STAR70 on 02/07/07 at 4:26 pm

well, gee. that wasn't even that bad.

*shakes fist skyward at mods*

c'mon yall! star70's an anarchist! he can take a little heat yo!

I'm a Tiarchist!!! All hail the Goddess...

Written By: Tia on 02/07/07 at 4:27 pm

I'm a Tiarchist!!! All hail the Goddess...
aw. see? now you're just tryin' to butter me up.

Written By: STAR70 on 02/07/07 at 4:29 pm

time for lunch. c-ya tomorrow!!!

Written By: jackas on 02/07/07 at 4:35 pm

You see...I don't even bother calling it reverse discrimination.  It's discrimination...period.

Written By: La Roche on 02/07/07 at 4:36 pm

That.

.. and it's true. There's Hank Aaron awards, Roberto Clemente awards.. so.. if people want equality, where's the Ted Williams award?

Written By: Tia on 02/07/07 at 4:37 pm

You see...I don't even bother calling it reverse discrimination.  It's discrimination...period.
the institutional aspect of it is irrelevant?

Written By: La Roche on 02/07/07 at 4:44 pm

Fair point.

See, people often refuse to answer this, or throw out the race card.. well let's be fair, I'm a self-promoting demi-nazi.. so that really dosen't bother me.

Now, if everyone wants equality, there would be no problem with me having my little white festival would there? I mean.. in the interests of all things being equal everyone could be individually represented...right?

Written By: jackas on 02/07/07 at 4:44 pm

the institutional aspect of it is irrelevant?

As far as I'm concerned, no.

Written By: Tia on 02/07/07 at 4:45 pm

Fair point.

See, people often refuse to answer this, or throw out the race card.. well let's be fair, I'm a self-promoting demi-nazi.. so that really dosen't bother me.

Now, if everyone wants equality, there would be no problem with me having my little white festival would there? I mean.. in the interests of all things being equal everyone could be individually represented...right?
if there were equality, there would be no need for your white festival OR for black history month.

Written By: Tia on 02/07/07 at 4:46 pm

As far as I'm concerned, no.
but you can't ignore it and hope it goes away.

sorry, but... this country is institutionally racist. that has most definitely not been fixed.

Written By: jackas on 02/07/07 at 4:46 pm

Fair point.

I agree with you.

Written By: La Roche on 02/07/07 at 4:48 pm

if there were equality, there would be no need for your white festival OR for black history month. i mean... hello? that's the exact point?

Of course, that's the same point I'm making.

If people want equality, then it's an ass backwards idea to make racially segregated events.

sorry, but... this country is institutionally racist. that has most definitely not been fixed.

.. and whilst we continue to have programs that treat one race/religion/sex differently to others it will remain that way.

Written By: Tia on 02/07/07 at 4:50 pm

.. and whilst we continue to have programs that treat one race/religion/sex differently to others it will remain that way.
are you fully prepared to have institutions geared to have race and gender represented equally? are you fully prepared to have a U.S. senate where 50 percent of the senate is women and it's actually broken down racially the way this country is broken down, demographically?

i mean, i think i know what you're going to say publicly, but... ask yourself.

Written By: jackas on 02/07/07 at 4:55 pm

I don't think anything is going to go away because I omit "reverse".  I just don't think it's a special type of discimination.

Written By: La Roche on 02/07/07 at 4:55 pm

are you fully prepared to have institutions geared to have race and gender represented equally? are you fully prepared to have a U.S. senate where 50 percent of the senate is women and it's actually broken down racially the way this country is broken down, demographically?

i mean, i think i know what you're going to say publicly, but... ask yourself.

I think it's a case of let the people decide.

The people vote for who they want to vote for.

If you thrust say.. a black.. or hispanic candidate on me, I'm less likely to vote for them because I resent the fact that my representative is just being used to level the PC image.

I'm not saying things would be equal if we did away with these programs, I am however saying there'd be less prejudice via resent.

I resent the fact that black students can get additional grants to go to college. Hi! I'm poor, but I don't get the same help they do.
That creates prejudice. I'm gonna be pissed because the guy sitting next to me is getting a free ride, whereas it's costing me x grand a year. Then my human mind (and we ALL! do this) is gonna look across and pick out the biggest difference between us, which is the color of our skin. Then I'm gonna say "Goddam it, why is this guy getting a free ride whilst I'm getting nailed in the ass!"

.. then I'm going to go home, fester in my resent and the next day I'm gonna come in and not talk to that guy.

Written By: Tia on 02/07/07 at 5:08 pm

If you thrust say.. a black.. or hispanic candidate on me, I'm less likely to vote for them because I resent the fact that my representative is just being used to level the PC image.

I'm not saying things would be equal if we did away with these programs, I am however saying there'd be less prejudice via resent.

I resent the fact that black students can get additional grants to go to college. Hi! I'm poor, but I don't get the same help they do.
That creates prejudice. I'm gonna be pissed because the guy sitting next to me is getting a free ride, whereas it's costing me x grand a year. Then my human mind (and we ALL! do this) is gonna look across and pick out the biggest difference between us, which is the color of our skin. Then I'm gonna say "Goddam it, why is this guy getting a free ride whilst I'm getting nailed in the ass!"

.. then I'm going to go home, fester in my resent and the next day I'm gonna come in and not talk to that guy.
well, if we just did what popular opinion dictated slavery would still be institutionalized, right? i mean, when it was abolished, it was quite popular... at least among white people, who were the only folks anyone was listening to anyway.

the only way out of this is to agree that we are collectively engaged in an enterprise the end game of which is genuine equality. but, whatever, the right wing calls that socialism so basically we throw rocks at each other until the guy with the most rocks wins.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/07/07 at 6:11 pm

No need to apologise for slavery.  Stephen Colbert did it for us the other night!
;)

Written By: danootaandme on 02/07/07 at 6:22 pm

If you thrust say.. a black.. or hispanic candidate on me, I'm less likely to vote for them because I resent the fact that my

That creates prejudice. I'm gonna be pissed because the guy sitting next to me is getting a free ride, whereas it's costing me x grand a year. Then my human mind (and we ALL! do this) is gonna look across and pick out the biggest difference between us, which is the color of our skin. Then I'm gonna say "Goddam it, why is this guy getting a free ride whilst I'm getting nailed in the ass!".

And what of the people wo receive grants and get extra points solely on the basis of birth, like say...George Bush.  When are we going to see the ranting about wealthy people who get the best education money can buy but still not get better than a "C" but are admitted to the best colleges and Universities and given tuition wavers, and loans, and grants.  What makes you think that that the person is getting a free ride?  They may be just as strapped as you are to pay back the loans, may be working, with family who are working and doing everything they can to pay for what they get.  I would say that for you to assume that they are getting a free ride while poor little you are the only one struggling makes me wonder what is really in your mind.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 6:29 pm

Is that your not-so-subtle way of saying you think Andy is a racist or prejudiced?  That's what I took what you said to mean. 

I don't like affirmative action, not because I don't want black people to have the same chance as everyone else to get ahead, but because it forces people to choose on the basis of race....which is discrimination.  If I have a 3.5 GPA and Mark has a 2.9 GPA, and the school admits him because he's black....even though I have the better grades....how is that fair?  Why should he get in and not me? 

Or if I apply for a job and I have X, Y, Z credentials and experience, but Marcia has only X credentials and experience, but she gets hired because she's black.....how is that fair to me?  I have more experience, I'm better qualified.  You don't see the problem in this system?  How is any of that "equality"?  I'm getting shafted in deference to someone else, even though I shouldn't be.  And it has nothing to do with the reasons TO be shafted, either. 

Edit: If my understanding of what affirmative action is and how it works is wrong, then disregard my examples.

I don't like classism either, but the people who go to Ivy League schools MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, are going to those schools based on scholarships or straight grades.  Not because they come from a well-to-do family who has a history there and they got in on a legacy. That sort of thing is very rare.  Read up on the admissions standards for your Harvards, Yales, Browns.....they accept less than 10% of all applications they get.  I find it hard to believe that the majority of that 10% are getting in for reasons that are not academic.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/07/07 at 6:39 pm

I don't like affirmative action, not because I don't want black people to have the same chance as everyone else to get ahead, but because it forces people to choose on the basis of race....which is discrimination.

White folks didn't complain when the shoe was on the other foot...for centuries!
::)

Like I said, we're not going to be able to square away 500 years of atrocities in just 50!

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/07/07 at 6:39 pm

Of course they can.  Everyone "prejudges" people when they first meet them, but that doesn't mean they think they are su-/in-ferior to the other person or hate them.  The two are not mutually inclusive or exclusive.  They can exist on their own or they can co-exist with each other.  Your comment about hating women because you feel genetically superior to them is both misogynistic AND sexist.  Change the words around, delete a few, add a few and the comment could be either/or but  not necessarily both.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 6:41 pm

White folks didn't complain when the shoe was on the other foot...for centuries!

Like I said, we're not going to be able to square away 500 years of atrocities in just 50!

I am aware of what occurred in the past, and in some places still occurs today.  However, that doesn't make it right to flip it around and give it a new name.  Discrimination is discrimination, whether it's whites against blacks or blacks against whites. 

And I completely agree with you.....there's no way 500 years of atrocity is going to be made up in half a century.  However strives can be made, and I don't think enough of them are.

Written By: jackas on 02/07/07 at 6:45 pm

So we (white folks) should just shut up and deal with it?  Nothing is going to get better until things are equal....which is almost impossible, but we have to strive for that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/07/07 at 6:47 pm

"weren't there a large number of Jews who collaborated with the Nazis during the Holocaust?"

Some.  It's still controversial.  A lot of them did it to save their own bacon (erm, lamb chops?)

Rudolf Kastner comes to mind.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Kastner

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/07/07 at 6:56 pm

So we (white folks) should just shut up and deal with it? 

Yes.

I didn't say two wrongs make a right.  I think most affirmative action has been beneficial to society.  Some institutions do misuse affirmative action.  I cannot think of a single large-scale social program that has not been abused.  Usually, the abuse is perpetuated by white folks.  Race-based affirmative action programs saw "minorities" turn the tables.  I don't like that either, it's just how it goes.  I saw it happen when I went to university.  It was ugly.  I got called a "racist" when I objected to certain practices.  However, it is important to keep a sense of proportionality.

Racism against a white guy:  He's passed over for a tenure track position on the faculty.
Racism against a black guy:  He's hanged from an oak tree for being black at the wrong place and the wrong time!

One of the few times I agreed with Justice Thomas was when he said he didn't think his children should get affirmative action benefits because he is rich. 

I think we are at a point where affirmative action can be more economically based and less racially based.  Those who think race-based affirmative action was never necessary, I beg to differ.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/07/07 at 6:56 pm

And what of the people wo receive grants and get extra points solely on the basis of birth, like say...George Bush.  When are we going to see the ranting about wealthy people who get the best education money can buy but still not get better than a "C" but are admitted to the best colleges and Universities and given tuition wavers, and loans, and grants.  What makes you think that that the person is getting a free ride?  They may be just as strapped as you are to pay back the loans, may be working, with family who are working and doing everything they can to pay for what they get.  I would say that for you to assume that they are getting a free ride while poor little you are the only one struggling makes me wonder what is really in your mind.
Maybe I missed it, but I saw nowhere in Andy's post where he said he assumed the guy was getting a free ride.

AFA legacies go, is it just coincidence that Jesse Jackson Sr & Jr. both went to the same colleges?  Heck, look at the Cook County Board right now.....John Stroger had a stroke during the primary, but didn't drop out, DESPITE the fact that noone actually SAW him for 4 months and the doctors were not allowed to talk and reports said that he was incoherent and irrefutably damaged by the stroke.....The day after it was too late for the son to run on his own merit, he handed the primary win to his son....who has turned around and hired at least 2 of his relatives for $100K + positions ???  "Extra points on the basis of birth" happens no matter WHAT the skin color....

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/07/07 at 6:58 pm

Racism against a white guy:  He's passed over for a tenure track position on the faculty.
Racism against a black guy:  He's hanged from an oak tree for being black at the wrong place and the wrong time!
Oh please, when was the last time a lynching happened?

Written By: Jessica on 02/07/07 at 6:58 pm

Maybe I missed it, but I saw nowhere in Andy's post where he said he assumed the guy was getting a free ride.

AFA legacies go, is it just coincidence that Jesse Jackson Sr & Jr. both went to the same colleges?  Heck, look at the Cook County Board right now.....John Stroger had a stroke during the primary, but didn't drop out.....he handed the primary win to his son....who has turned around and hired 2 of his relatives for $100K + positions ???  "Extra points on the basis of birth" happens no matter WHAT the skin color....

Don't forget all the budget cuts.

I don't even live in that county and I hate the guy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/07/07 at 7:00 pm

Too recently for comfort.
Anyway, I just used that as illustrative hyperbole.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/07/07 at 7:05 pm

Right, now they tie them to the bumper of their pick ups and drag them to death....or are our memories so short

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/07/07 at 7:05 pm

Or....how there is a black history month but no other race has a special month.  Bam....back to the slavery apology. :P

Give me a break. Whites get history every day in class (did you cut out on a few? lol). Asians get September. Hispanics get October. Women get a month (I forget what it is though).

As far as fair treatment goes, turn on your tv and see who is vastly overrepresented and then we can talk. I just hope you are being sarcastic, lol, or else you are very delusional.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 7:08 pm

Give me a break. Whites get history every day. Asians get September. Hispanics get October. Women get a month (I forget what it is though).

I believe it's March.

The point is, no minority group should have a month devoted to them.  We should honor these cultures/races EVERY day, not just during a prescribed time on the calendar.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/07/07 at 7:09 pm

I believe it's March.

The point is, no minority group should have a month devoted to them.  We should honor these cultures/races EVERY day, not just during a prescribed time on the calendar.

Yeah, well there is a large gap between should a do....

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/07/07 at 7:10 pm

I believe it's March.

Thanks!!!

I totally agree; however, that being said, it really perturbs me to hear that comment, "When do whites get a month?". I just shake my head and go, "Are you kidding me?".

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/07/07 at 7:11 pm

Actually there was a case a few years ago in Mississippi revolved around a young black teenager.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/07/07 at 7:17 pm

First, don't be an idiot and automatically assume that the person sitting next to you is receiving a free ride and is also not paying out of his/her ass (that's lazy thinking, which isn't helpful in trying to achieve collegiate success).  Every student has the opportunity to get additional grants to go to college. The thing is that many white students are using all of their energy blaming and pointing the finger instead of pointing it towards the search for such grants. Hell, I can name many off the top of my head that you've never heard of. It's really insulting to think that students of color only receive free rides or didn't get in based on merit. If many people think like this, truly they do not belong in college, which is often a place of enlightenment and education (apparently, two things lacking in their day to day lives to begin with).

For the record, the group that's benefited the most from Affirmative Action are WOMEN!!!!! Hello, get that through your generalizing head.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/07/07 at 7:31 pm

I'm gonna be pissed because the guy sitting next to me is getting a free ride, whereas it's costing me x grand a year. Then my human mind (and we ALL! do this) is gonna look across and pick out the biggest difference between us, which is the color of our skin. Then I'm gonna say "Goddam it, why is this guy getting a free ride whilst I'm getting nailed in the ass!"

To get the understand the whole story......  And that goes for everything.

Written By: La Roche on 02/07/07 at 8:10 pm

That's ridiculous as well. Somebody shouldn't get in to Yale simply because their family has gone there for five generations. You'll get no disagreement from me there.
I will tell you exactly why I think they're getting a free ride. I talked to them!

Ok. I'll use an example here that nobody is going to like, but it's a true story.

A guy I went to school with, who sat next to me in my International Relations class, was a Black guy.
Now, I'm going to give you a comparison.
I moved to the U.S to go to school On my own. I had NO! Support from my parents, who, in the eyes of the United States Government do not exist because a) my Father is not a U.S citizen and b) my mother has not lived in the U.S for more than 20 years. Now, I can receive up to $7000 in Federal & State aid, most of which I was able to claim. About $5800 was knocked off my tuition costs for the year. The guy sitting next to me, not only got the full $7000, but was also given preference for campus jobs and received an extra $1000 grant. This was to fill ethnic minority spots. I will profess that this was at SLU.. he was in the words of South Park 'Token'.. but regardless, the fact of the matter is, he was in the same boat as me, actually no, the government probably recognised his parents income, even if it was very low. Yet he still received $8000+ compared to my $5800. We were in the same major as well.

Now.. can you tell me how this works. He's being given extra money AND! the opportunity for a campus job, based on the color of his skin... how is that right.

Wanna know how I know all his figures? Because we talked about it and he agreed he didn't care to be singled out, simply because he was black.

Written By: La Roche on 02/07/07 at 8:12 pm

Once again.. with some feeling this time.

"I'm sorry, for something I didn't do. Lynched somebody, but I don't know who. You blame me for slavery, a hundred years before I was born."

Written By: La Roche on 02/07/07 at 8:15 pm

Right, now they tie them to the bumper of their pick ups and drag them to death....or are our memories so short

... but when a white student is killed by a black gang it's not a racist crime?

See.. wow... I can't believe people died for equality and now we're moving toward that goal the PC mob just wants to paint everybody as a racist if they sometimes want to wear the shoe on the other foot.

Why is it a hate crime if a white man kills a black man.. yet not the other way around?

Can none of you understand that this is what I'm trying to get at here?

I don't want one set of people to be elevated or relegated above or below the same position as everybody else. If what ya'll really want is equality then you are going about it the wrong way.
.. and calling me ignorant, a racist.. whatever.. well that's just a display of all of your own ignorance.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 8:15 pm

That's ridiculous as well. Somebody shouldn't get in to Yale simply because their family has gone there for five generations. You'll get no disagreement from me there.
I will tell you exactly why I think they're getting a free ride. I talked to them!

Ok. I'll use an example here that nobody is going to like, but it's a true story.

A guy I went to school with, who sat next to me in my International Relations class, was a Black guy.
Now, I'm going to give you a comparison.
I moved to the U.S to go to school On my own. I had NO! Support from my parents, who, in the eyes of the United States Government do not exist because a) my Father is not a U.S citizen and b) my mother has not lived in the U.S for more than 20 years. Now, I can receive up to $7000 in Federal & State aid, most of which I was able to claim. About $5800 was knocked off my tuition costs for the year. The guy sitting next to me, not only got the full $7000, but was also given preference for campus jobs and received an extra $1000 grant. This was to fill ethnic minority spots. I will profess that this was at SLU.. he was in the words of South Park 'Token'.. but regardless, the fact of the matter is, he was in the same boat as me, actually no, the government probably recognised his parents income, even if it was very low. Yet he still received $8000+ compared to my $5800. We were in the same major as well.

Now.. can you tell me how this works. He's being given extra money AND! the opportunity for a campus job, based on the color of his skin... how is that right.

Wanna know how I know all his figures? Because we talked about it and he agreed he didn't care to be singled out, simply because he was black.

Everyone should have an equal opportunity to get into school.  No race/minority based quotas, nothing.  If you don't have the grades to get in, you don't get in.  Isn't that how it's it's supposed to work?

Written By: jackas on 02/07/07 at 8:18 pm

Give me a break. Whites get history every day in class (did you cut out on a few? lol). Asians get September. Hispanics get October. Women get a month (I forget what it is though).

As far as fair treatment goes, turn on your tv and see who is vastly overrepresented and then we can talk. I just hope you are being sarcastic, lol, or else you are very delusional.

Ok, here's the part where I call you ignorant because I was not complaining that blacks get a history month.  I was merely giving an example of of a subject people bring up when bitching about the things that aren't fair in this country.  

Written By: La Roche on 02/07/07 at 8:19 pm

Everyone should have an equal opportunity to get into school.  No race/minority based quotas, nothing.  If you don't have the grades to get in, you don't get in.  Isn't that how it's it's supposed to work?

To a reasonable individual yes.

It's kind of like here in the UK when they recruit firemen (Is that the correct term now.. or is.. fire'person'? ::) regardless.) if there is a group of say 100 candidates and there are 10 positions available, a certain percentage (somewhere around 10% presumably) of these positions HAVE to be filled by minorities. Even if they were the worst performing members of the candidate group.. they will get the job (or rather have ample opportunities to, i.e additional coaching, additional time to complete tasks, etc,etc,etc.). Now.. I really don't care what color the guy is who's saving my ass from a burning building.. I would however be kind of concerned if he didn't know how to do his job.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/07/07 at 10:14 pm

Ok, here's the part where I call you ignorant because I was not complaining that blacks get a history month.  I was merely giving an example of of a subject people bring up when bitching about the things that aren't fair in this country. 

Ah, kind of like Straight Pride Day.

I'm joking with you, but I did understand what you meant.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/07/07 at 10:18 pm

Since you do not say anything about his high school performance which got him into college I am assuming that he deserved what he is recieving, since you are so upset you must assume that he doesn't deserve anything more than what you are getting.  Is he the only person in all of your classes getting more than you, or is there some reason that you are focusing on him?  

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 10:21 pm

Is he the only person in all of your classes getting more than you, or is there some reason that you are focusing on him? 

Ummm, because he can't talk about people whose situations he's not acquainted with?  Just a guess. 

Written By: Jessica on 02/07/07 at 10:35 pm

Jesus Christ in a chariot driven sidecar...didn't we already go through all this sh*t once before? Discrimination works both ways. Unfortunate, but true. Yes, the minorities of the world got shafted then AND now. But "whitey" (god, how I hate that f*cking term!) does get the short end of the stick in certain situations as well. Just because Andy and Jacks and whoever else brings it up doesn't mean they're f*cking racist! And that's what it is boiling down to: who can cry "racist" the fastest. It has sh*t to do with the actual topic AGAIN. It's all about seeing who is more oppressed now.

I don't give a f*ck, so this is my last post here. Y'all can do Civil War 2.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/07/07 at 10:36 pm

IMO, this "affirmative action is reverse racism" premise is waaaaaay over sold.

But, hey, ya gotta have something to talk about between sips of Coors when it's not hockey season!
:D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/07/07 at 10:38 pm

Jesus Christ in a chariot driven sidecar...didn't we already go through all this sh*t once before? Discrimination works both ways. Unfortunate, but true. Yes, the minorities of the world got shafted then AND now. But "whitey" (god, how I hate that f*cking term!) does get the short end of the stick in certain situations as well. Just because Andy and Jacks and whoever else brings it up doesn't mean they're f*cking racist! And that's what it is boiling down to: who can cry "racist" the fastest. It has sh*t to do with the actual topic AGAIN. It's all about seeing who is more oppressed now.

My, my, we're in a mood tonight, aren't we!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icon_biggrin.gif

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 10:38 pm

"Jesus Christ in a chariot-driven sidecar"

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

As to what you said:  I completely agree, I'm behind you 100%.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/07/07 at 10:39 pm

Whitey almost ran me over this morning.  But it IS Chicago, where people don't seem to know how to drive...

In the biological sciences division at the University of Chicago there are actually quite a few blacks represented...there are two tenure-track faculty who are black and a few Hispanics.  Several of my classmates are black or Latino, and that makes up at least a third of the class.  Very intelligent people too.

I don't know if you can consider them "token" but I think it's a step in the right direction in terms of diversity and people striving to potential.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 10:40 pm

IMO, this "affirmative action is reverse racism" premise is waaaaaay over sold.

But, hey, ya gotta have something to talk about between sips of Coors when it's not hockey season!
:D

Yes, because only the stereotypical "rednecks" are the people who would say those things. 

Unless you're describing another subset of people, of course.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/07/07 at 10:41 pm

Yes, because only the stereotypical "rednecks" are the people who would say those things. 

Unless you're describing another subset of people, of course.

Asians are minorities too...how come I don't get none o'dat affirmative stuff?  :\'(

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 10:45 pm

Asians are minorities too...how come I don't get none o'dat affirmative stuff?  :\'(

You're the smartest race, remember?  You don't need any help. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/07/07 at 10:47 pm

Yooooo ever thinkeee ask?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/laughing7.gif

Didn't have to, affirmative action for East Asians doesn't exist.  It does, however, exist for Filipinos, some Vietnamese and Laotians.  Go fig.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/07/07 at 10:49 pm

Didn't have to, affirmative action for East Asians doesn't exist.  It does, however, exist for Filipinos, some Vietnamese and Laotians.  Go fig.

Aren't they considered the "minorities" of the Asian culture?  I thought I had read that somewhere.  I might be waaaay off base.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/07/07 at 11:05 pm

Can't stand this thinking, today's whites have nothing to do with what happened all those years ago. Most of today's whites have nothing to do with what happened then, why the heck should we all be collectively blamed? I'm on the record as against affirmative action, it is not the answer, it's basically saying "we're gonna help black people because they're unable to help themselves". I believe it itself is racist in concept and unconstitutional, hopefully one day the Supreme Court will outlaw it.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/07/07 at 11:11 pm

Aren't they considered the "minorities" of the Asian culture?  I thought I had read that somewhere.  I might be waaaay off base.

I had several friends at Berkeley who were Filipino, very intelligent people.  They admitted that they got in through affirmative action.  But the nice thing is that they studied hard for the most part and eventually graduated.  So affirmative action is sometimes good in giving people who WANT to succeed the opportunity to do so.  Still a bit unfair, which is why there was a huge ruckus when the Regents voted to repeal affirmative action.

Some militant girl named Heather Bergman started a group called "Defend Affirmative Action By Any Means Necessary" (she was white) and caused all kinds of havoc on campus by staging lockouts (in a building whose bottom floor was solid glass all around :P ) and hunger strikes (Red Bull excepted, HA) and clogged the main gate of the campus to prove a point.  I believe at some point affirmative action was repealed anyway (didn't really care since it didn't directly affect me, as shown above), and minority enrollment dropped (except on the football and basketball teams of course). 

However, my question was: if the minority enrollment dropped but some minorities still got in, does that mean that they deserved it since they no longer had a footstool?  Hard not to think about it and I don't believe it is prejudiced of me to say so. 

BTW, I still don't think I have to apologize for anything.

Written By: Tam on 02/07/07 at 11:53 pm

About the apology.... I am in agreement  -  let's apologize to everyone for everything! And I deserve an apology because as a native, my lands were taken away, the British invaded my country, the US tried to take it from them.... I could go on and on!!!

As for Affirmative Action - I am pro all the way.
I can say this because no where is it written the AA is solely for the use of Races. AA was founded under these principals, BUT has evolved into so much more. AA helps to employ Developmentally Challenged individuals, (pc?) AA also helps to employ the elderly who still want to work or have to because their social security is pretty much null and void, AA tries to ensure that the correct/qualified person is doing the job (fe/male equality) etc. http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/hiring/affirmativeact.htm

Now, as for race - being native you would think that there was an opportunity for me when I went to college to receive grants and scholarships. HA! The only way I would have qualified was if I was still living on an Indian Reserve at the time. There are limits to grants and scholarships that so few know about, and some many hoops we have to jump through, that I just said screw it and took student loans in order to get through college and graduate with my Human Resources Degree. (That being said, I want to make it clear that I am neither pro employer nor pro employee/union, and my views on AA are strongly based on teaching, history and common sense.)

Written By: ADH13 on 02/07/07 at 11:57 pm

Andy, I agree 100% with everything you're saying.

The perfect University scenario would be to have every application assigned an applicant number, with no name, gender or race anywhere on the application.  This way, the powers that be have no idea of anything other than their academic merits and that they are <gasp>  HUMAN!

This would be truly non-discriminatory.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/08/07 at 12:11 am

The perfect University scenario would be to have every application assigned an applicant number, with no name, gender or race anywhere on the application.  This way, the powers that be have no idea of anything other than their academic merits and that they are <gasp>  HUMAN!

I have to respectfully disagree. The PERFECT scenario would be that everyone viewed everyone else as equals. Racism/sexism wouldn't exist, and neither would affirmative action - because it wouldn't be necessary.

It's odd: I got both the pessimistic and optimistic traits from my parents, in extremes. On the bright side, I'd like to think that we could all get along and not worry about stupid shyt like race, class, sexual orientation, gender, etc.  On the down side, stuff like this makes me wish a gigantic friggin' asteroid would end all human life on Earth, because changing all the dumbasses is impossible to do short of their deaths.

Since I'm forced to settle with something in between world peace and global annihilation: FTR I think AA sucks, but at the present time is a necessary evil. I do think it is a catch-22: you can't end inequality while simultaneously promoting it.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/08/07 at 12:18 am

I have to respectfully disagree. The PERFECT scenario would be that everyone viewed everyone else as equals. Racism/sexism wouldn't exist, and neither would affirmative action - because it wouldn't be necessary.

I agree with you too... but everyone doesn't view everyone else as equals... but they would have to if they didn't know people's genders and race.  It's a sad thought, but equal nonetheless.

Written By: Tam on 02/08/07 at 12:21 am

... The PERFECT scenario would be that everyone viewed everyone else as equals. Racism/sexism wouldn't exist, and neither would affirmative action - because it wouldn't be necessary ...

That is the PERFECT scenario Red Ant, and unfortunately I don't think it will ever be realized in our lifetime. :(

I hear what you are saying, and you do make a very good point. It is a necessary evil that will most definitely be around for a long time to come!

Written By: danootaandme on 02/08/07 at 5:18 am

Hey wait a minute.  Seems there is a problem with Asians being just too smart.  It seems Asian are over represented, percentage wise, at more than a few of the top schools, and I remember a few months ago reading a story about some people (  ::) ) compaining that they were not being admitted to favored schools because so many Asians were being admitted. They did grant that the Asians in question had all the qualifications and then some, but still!

Written By: danootaandme on 02/08/07 at 5:19 am

Ummm, because he can't talk about people whose situations he's not acquainted with?  Just a guess. 

Exactly, the only situation he is truly well acquainted with is his own.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/08/07 at 5:37 am

That wasn't what I was saying.  Not that it matters, anyway.

He was talking about the situation of a student who he spoke to.  The student told him that he basically got all the perks he did because he was black.  You then asked why he was only focusing on that one student instead of everyone else who went to the school.  I said he only focused on that one student because he actually talked to that student.....and because he can't talk about other students and why they were admitted to the school if he hadn't talked to them one by one.  He could however, talk about the one student he spoke to about it. 

Hence why I said "he can't talk about people whose situations he's not acquainted with".  He was acquainted with the situation of that student and he talked about it.

Written By: La Roche on 02/08/07 at 8:02 am

Since you do not say anything about his high school performance which got him into college I am assuming that he deserved what he is recieving, since you are so upset you must assume that he doesn't deserve anything more than what you are getting.  Is he the only person in all of your classes getting more than you, or is there some reason that you are focusing on him? 

The point I'm making is this wasn't an academic scholarship. It was a scholarship based on the color of his skin.. which is WRONG!
My Ma got almost a free ride.. but that was because she got all A's in High School and held a 4.0 GPA up until her 3rd year of college.. academic free rides are fine, same with sports scholarships. But getting a scholarship solely because you're black, white, hispanic, female, jewish.. nuh uh, that's not right. It creates division.

Written By: La Roche on 02/08/07 at 8:05 am

He was talking about the situation of a student who he spoke to.  The student told him that he basically got all the perks he did because he was black. 

I suppose I should add that WE WERE FRIENDS!!

I'm not petty enough to hate on the guy just because he got something I didn't.. but we did both agree it was insane.

Written By: La Roche on 02/08/07 at 8:06 am

Right.

Now, I think some people here have misunderstood what I'm saying.
Of course we can't take everything back to 0 and start again, that wouldn't work, Prejudice is ingrained in all of our minds - But! Programs that put one group above another are seriously not the way to achieve equality. All they do is breed contempt.
I'm not saying I have the answer, but the current 'solution' is just another problem caused.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/08/07 at 8:21 am

Actually there was a case a few years ago in Mississippi revolved around a young black teenager.
Yeah, and there was just a case in Aurora, IL not too long ago where a black kid killed another because he said he was "too white".  If Max were to walk down the streets of a black neighborhood at night, do you honestly think he wouldn't be harrassed or worse?  Killing or harrassing someone simply because their skin color is different than yours is ignorance and ignorance knows no skin color.
Jeez, the kid TOLD HIM he got the $$ because he was black.....not because of merit.  Why is it so hard to believe?

It's stuff like this that just keeps the "race/sex wars" going.  If a white person talks about a "minority" they know (or vice versa, or male/female), who told them the situation, others automatically assume they're jumping to conclusions and can't possibly know the whole situation.  When I was working, I was up for a promotion with 2 other people....one was a white male and one was a black female.  I got it and the black person said it was because I was "a white girl".  The guy said I got it because I was a "girl".  Now, nevermind that I a) had been there longer than the other 2 b) had a 100% quality rating over their 95+ ratings c) had experience other than what I had done at that company and d) it was the black supervisor (who was a guy) who recommended that I get the job. 

The point I'm trying to make is that if people do/don't get something, they try to justify it with "It's because they're/I'm white/black/male/female/whatever" instead of trying to figure out the real reason and that just breeds animosity towards those that are different in terms of race/ethnicity/sex.  It's ignorance all around....

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/08/07 at 8:28 am

Heck, that would be the perfect scenario in ANY situation where you're applying for something, be it a job, scholarship, acceptance into a program/university, whatever.

Written By: La Roche on 02/08/07 at 8:43 am

Jeez, the kid TOLD HIM he got the $$ because he was black.....not because of merit.  Why is it so hard to believe?

Mercy be that a white man and a black man were actually friends.
You know the third guy that used to come shoot pool with us, a Bosnian Muslim.  ;D

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/08/07 at 8:51 am

Mercy be that a white man and a black man were actually friends.
You know the third guy that used to come shoot pool with us, a Bosnian Muslim.  ;D
You had your own "Rainbow Coalition" going there, didntcha? ;)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/08/07 at 10:47 am

I was watching "Today" this morning and thought THIS was appropriate....comments?

Written By: star80 on 02/08/07 at 11:17 am

I was watching "Today" this morning and thought THIS was appropriate....comments?

Thanks, that was a very good and interesting clip.  I really liked the black guy's comment about how he and the other guest could disagree, but still be civil to one another.  Thanks again for posting some true intelligence to this (2nd) thread.

Written By: witchain on 02/08/07 at 12:02 pm

That was good, and it was by far the most civil I have ever seen or heard A.C.
Is she on some new medication?

As for pertaining to this thread? Only in that an apology means nothing by itself.

Written By: La Roche on 02/08/07 at 12:11 pm

Once again, Ann shows how intelligent she is.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/08/07 at 12:53 pm

Ok, here's the part where I call you ignorant because I was not complaining that blacks get a history month.  I was merely giving an example of of a subject people bring up when bitching about the things that aren't fair in this country.  

Well make a clear statement so I can understand you better. Since there isn't any audio on this website, I can only infer what I read. It's nothing ignorant about it, per se, it's tone and inference. Had I felt that you were merely giving an example, I wouldn't have replied in such a way  :P.

As for the apology, no one's asking individual citizens to apologize. It's the government, which in all seriousness, doesn't really apply to the common man or woman since the entity alone almost acts as if we don't exist anyway (unless it's election day).

Also, as for the scholarships based on certain attributes (e.g. race, creed, gender, religion), I'm not offended because I go for what I'm qualified for. It doesn't hurt me if an Asian group makes scholarship for Asians, I'm not Asian or part Asian, so I can't expect it to go to me. I find something that fits me. I'm not angered by scholarships for basketball players. I don't play basketball. I played field hockey and I got money based on that. There's scholarship for everyone. The point is to find your niche and stop finding ways for division.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/08/07 at 1:30 pm

Well make a clear statement so I can understand you better. Since there isn't any audio on this website, I can only infer what I read. It's nothing ignorant about it, per se, it's tone and inference. Had I felt that you were merely giving an example, I wouldn't have replied in such a way  :P.

As for the apology, no one's asking individual citizens to apologize. It's the government, which in all seriousness, doesn't really apply to the common man or woman since the entity alone almost acts as if we don't exist anyway (unless it's election day).

Also, as for the scholarships based on certain attributes (e.g. race, creed, gender, religion), I'm not offended because I go for what I'm qualified for. It doesn't hurt me if an Asian group makes scholarship for Asians, I'm not Asian or part Asian, so I can't expect it to go to me. I find something that fits me. I'm not angered by scholarships for basketball players. I don't play basketball. I played field hockey and I got money based on that. There's scholarship for everyone. The point is to find your niche and stop finding ways for division.

My only problem with race/sex-based scholarships is that if someone decided to offer a scholarship to ONLY white males, it would be considered racist/sexist, yet it's perfectly fine to only offer them to other race/sex. 

My problem with this probably is exacerbated by what I learned yesterday.....since I'm a white female, my chances of being accepted into the t-cert program in English are slim.....now, if I was male or anything other than white, it would almost be a guaranteed acceptance ::)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/08/07 at 1:56 pm

My only problem with race/sex-based scholarships is that if someone decided to offer a scholarship to ONLY white males, it would be considered racist/sexist, yet it's perfectly fine to only offer them to other race/sex. 

My problem with this probably is exacerbated by what I learned yesterday.....since I'm a white female, my chances of being accepted into the t-cert program in English are slim.....now, if I was male or anything other than white, it would almost be a guaranteed acceptance ::)

Since I am a teacher (on bedrest thanks to baby #2 lol), a possible explanation (which makes sense) for the t-cert program in English is that there is a tremendous over-saturation of white female English teachers, not because you aren't qualified. In my department alone, they are the majority, and quite frankly, it's hard to get a position in the subject anyway unless there's an huge retiree population in a particular district. I think the desire is to just add more diversity (which is so overwhelmingly needed in Education). You are a victim of the lack of diversity created from years of racism/discrimination. Had it been more fair and balanced, you wouldn't have a problem. Now I can tell you that you will most likely get accepted. Finding a job after all is said and done is the real issue.

As for the scholarships, there are scholarships only for white males. Take, for instance, the Daughters of the American Revolution. They are notorious for creating scholarships for white women (though they will say any woman with ties to an American patriot can benefit to protect themselves from naysayers).

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/08/07 at 4:51 pm

Since I am a teacher (on bedrest thanks to baby #2 lol), a possible explanation (which makes sense) for the t-cert program in English is that there is a tremendous over-saturation of white female English teachers, not because you aren't qualified. In my department alone, they are the majority, and quite frankly, it's hard to get a position in the subject anyway unless there's an huge retiree population in a particular district. I think the desire is to just add more diversity (which is so overwhelmingly needed in Education). You are a victim of the lack of diversity created from years of racism/discrimination. Had it been more fair and balanced, you wouldn't have a problem. Now I can tell you that you will most likely get accepted. Finding a job after all is said and done is the real issue.
See, that's my issue.  If I'm more qualified than a male or a minority, why should they get acceptance over me?  Shouldn't the focus be on getting the most qualified teachers regardless of race/sex?  I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the tcert program, but I think I have a fairly good chance as I've gotten all A's since I went back (and they only take the past 5 years' grades into consideration).  If I were in any other subject, it wouldn't be an issue, but us white women love English :D

As for the scholarships, there are scholarships only for white males. Take, for instance, the Daughters of the American Revolution. They are notorious for creating scholarships for white women (though they will say any woman with ties to an American patriot can benefit to protect themselves from naysayers).
Women, yes.  As my classes are in the building where the Women's Studies program has their offices, I see TONS of them every day.  Men, not so much.  And, I do know of a hispanic girl who got a DAR scholarship so it can/does happen.  "Minority" scholarships also have a clause that states that a white male (not in those exact terms, of course) can apply, but how many white men that apply actually get them?  There was a big stink in Boston (Boston University, maybe? can't remember the school)over some college "republican" group that was offering a $250 scholarship to ONLY "white males".  Of course, it was called "racist".  And, btw, males are now the "minority" on college campuses.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/08/07 at 5:05 pm

There was a big stink in Boston (Boston University, maybe? can't remember the school)over some college "republican" group that was offering a $250 scholarship to ONLY "white males".  Of course, it was called "racist".  And, btw, males are now the "minority" on college campuses.

I heard about that stunt.  Conservative Republicans scold anybody else who acts like a victim, yet nobody else does a better job with self-pity.  The secular progressives, the welfare recipients, the feminists, and the minority scholarship holders just walk all over them!  The trouble is, when they get the "fight back" mentality, they're one step away from donning the hood of Ku Klux Klan!

Written By: Tia on 02/08/07 at 5:11 pm

I heard about that stunt.  Conservative Republicans scold anybody else who acts like a victim, yet nobody else does a better job with self-pity.  The secular progressives, the welfare recipients, the feminists, and the minority scholarship holders just walk all over them!  The trouble is, when they get the "fight back" mentality, they're one step away from donning the hood of Ku Klux Klan!
what was the story with the big penis they were trotting around campuses for a while? it was something to allegedly counter the feminist movement, i have forgotten the details. but it was pretty embarrassing.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/08/07 at 5:24 pm

what was the story with the big penis they were trotting around campuses for a while? it was something to allegedly counter the feminist movement, i have forgotten the details. but it was pretty embarrassing.

Sounds familiar.  It think there was "The Viagra Monologues" or something.
:-\\

It would be embarrassing to you because you're not a f**king idiot like them.  Those college Republicans are just bitter because they missed the good old days when you could do a date rape and the girl would be too ashamed to say boo about it!

Written By: Tia on 02/08/07 at 5:27 pm

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/sommers200505020808.asp

note to self: when googling "vagina monologues giant penis," safesearch is best turned on.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/08/07 at 5:32 pm

My Ma got almost a free ride.. but that was because she got all A's in High School and held a 4.0 GPA up until her 3rd year of college.. academic free rides are fine, same with sports scholarships.

Now sports scholarships I absolutely don't get. Where is the invective when it comes to guys who can't find there own hometowns on a map, but can slam dunk their way to March Madness.  The truth about basketball scholarships is just ugly.  

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/08/07 at 5:46 pm

Now sports scholarships I absolutely don't get. Where is the invective when it comes to guys who can't find there own hometowns on a map, but can slam dunk their way to March Madness.  The truth about basketball scholarships is just ugly. 

Basketball ain't the only sport to be played in college. 

Peyton Manning got a scholarship to Tennessee, graduated Phi Beta Kappa with a 3.6 in 3 years and a degree in Communications.  Not all students who get sports scholarships are stupid. 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/08/07 at 5:47 pm

See, that's my issue.  If I'm more qualified than a male or a minority, why should they get acceptance over me?  Shouldn't the focus be on getting the most qualified teachers regardless of race/sex?  I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the tcert program, but I think I have a fairly good chance as I've gotten all A's since I went back (and they only take the past 5 years' grades into consideration).  If I were in any other subject, it wouldn't be an issue, but us white women love English :DWomen, yes.  As my classes are in the building where the Women's Studies program has their offices, I see TONS of them every day.  Men, not so much.  And, I do know of a hispanic girl who got a DAR scholarship so it can/does happen.  "Minority" scholarships also have a clause that states that a white male (not in those exact terms, of course) can apply, but how many white men that apply actually get them?  There was a big stink in Boston (Boston University, maybe? can't remember the school)over some college "republican" group that was offering a $250 scholarship to ONLY "white males".  Of course, it was called "racist".  And, btw, males are now the "minority" on college campuses.

Sometimes I have to just simplify things like this to karma. For so many years, some whites (primarily males) have been given opportunities despite obvious qualifications that were lesser than a "minority" applicatant (regardless of color). But never assume that because someone male or minority got in with lesser qualifications b/c it's an insult. Unless you have the grades or recommendations in front of you, you can't say. To be frank, that person may be head over heels more qualified than you. But that's a battle I've faced for so many years and quite frankly, it's tiring. I do hope you get in the program, though. Have you considered taking up another subject to "fall back on"? Special Education is alive and kicking and just as challenging (damn it, if I don't sound like an admissions counselor, lol). Males have been a minority on campuses for quite sometime now, especially considering that they are the minority in America anyhow. But, of course, somehow they still have the power.

Now sports scholarships I absolutely don't get. Where is the invective when it comes to guys who can't find there own hometowns on a map, but can slam dunk their way to March Madness.  The truth about basketball scholarships is just ugly.  

I hear ya. It's annoying. It's saying, "Damn, all I have to do is run, wrestle, dunk a ball, or toss a football and I get a free ride to college - never mind no studying."

Peyton Manning got a scholarship to Tennessee, graduated Phi Beta Kappa with a 3.6 in 3 years and a degree in Communications.  Not all students who get sports scholarships are stupid. 

Why, of course, there are exceptions. You have to leave room for them. However, depending on the school, its ranking, and its athletes, the number of exceptions are low.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/08/07 at 5:50 pm

Not all, (I never say all) but there is a large percentage who do get in on sports scholarships to prop up the NCAA football and basketball programs. March Madness and Football draw money, they are used as farm teams for the pro leagues.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/08/07 at 5:52 pm

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/sommers200505020808.asp

note to self: when googling "vagina monologues giant penis," safesearch is best turned on.

Hmmmm....speaking of.....the first thing I saw when I clicked on that link was a photo of Dick Morris, most apropos!

IMO, every day should be V-Day!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumleft.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/ky.gif

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/08/07 at 5:53 pm

No, but there is a large percentage who do get in on sports scholarships to prop up the NCAA football and basketball programs. March Madness and Football draw money, they are used as farm teams for the pro leagues.

I have no problem with scholarships.  If some school wants to pay for you to go to their school, provided it's not based on your race/religion/gender......I don't care.  Now, if you're getting that scholarship to fill a quota they need, then I DON'T like that.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/08/07 at 6:09 pm

I have no problem with scholarships.  If some school wants to pay for you to go to their school, provided it's not based on your race/religion/gender......I don't care.  Now, if you're getting that scholarship to fill a quota they need, then I DON'T like that.

This actually should be a whole other thread.  Maybe when I am not working I'll start one up, or someone else can. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/08/07 at 6:11 pm

Getting a scholarship based on academic or athletic ability alone is fine.  Neither of those things have anything to do with what race you are, what color you are, what religion you are, etc. 

If they say they need more blacks at their school and hand you an academic scholarship, even though your grades suck and there's no way you'd get it based on grades alone.....well, then we have a problem. 

I detest stuff like that.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/08/07 at 6:16 pm

Getting a scholarship based on academic or athletic ability alone is fine.  Neither of those things have anything to do with what race you are, what color you are, what religion you are, etc. 

When you enter the halls of academia academics should be the focus, athletics should be an adjunct(that of course includes academics leading to a career in athletics}.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/08/07 at 6:19 pm

When you enter the halls of academia academics should be the focus, athletics should be an adjunct(that of course includes academics leading to a career in athletics}.

If colleges and universities didn't have sports teams, you'd have a point.  However as you pointed out several posts above, college basketball/football are big draws and a lot of kids use them as a jumping off point to get into the NBA or the NFL.  Granted, a good majority of students who get sports scholarships end up graduating college with degrees, and then opting to go pro......a good deal do not.  That doesn't mean the idea of sports scholarships is flawed or that they should be done away with.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/08/07 at 6:29 pm

If colleges and universities didn't have sports teams, you'd have a point.  However as you pointed out several posts above, college basketball/football are big draws and a lot of kids use them as a jumping off point to get into the NBA or the NFL.  Granted, a good majority of students who get sports scholarships end up graduating college with degrees, and then opting to go pro......a good deal do not.  That doesn't mean the idea of sports scholarships is flawed or that they should be done away with.

Actually there is a problem with graduation rates for college basketball players. Last I heard it was like 4 in 10.  It is the rare few who make it to the NBA, and rarer for them to play more than a few seasons. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/08/07 at 7:54 pm

How dare you disrespect the great god Jocko!
If your school can snag an MBA quality player straight out of HS, it doesn't matter if he's dumb as a bag of doorknobs, it's always going to be worth it.  You know, M-O-N-E-Y!
That $20 grand isn't so much a "scholarship" as it is an "investment," one that might pay back 10-fold!

Written By: La Roche on 02/09/07 at 9:19 am

Sports scholarships are based on merit, the same as academic scholarships.

OF COURSE IT'S ABOUT MONEY!!

Jesus christ, you wouldn't have half the facilities in the University if it wasn't for the 20-40+ thousand that pay to see the college team every week.

Now, I'm very sorry a couple of you got stuffed in lockers back in High School, but the fact remains, if it wasn't for those school sports teams, all that would happen is that it'd cost even more to go to college.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/09/07 at 10:14 am

Both sports scholarships and academic scholarships are based on merit.  Sports = whether you can help the team win and make a crapload of money for the school.  Academic = whether you can keep up the good grades and graduate and get a badass job so you can make the school look better.  Big emphasis on the potential of the student/athlete when all this money is doled out. 

Written By: STAR70 on 02/09/07 at 2:23 pm

I don't like affirmative action, not because I don't want black people to have the same chance as everyone else to get ahead, but because it forces people to choose on the basis of race....which is discrimination.  If I have a 3.5 GPA and Mark has a 2.9 GPA, and the school admits him because he's black....even though I have the better grades....how is that fair?   

it's fair because you have been the beneficiary of multiple centuries of aryan supremacist policies

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/09/07 at 2:26 pm

it's fair because you have been the beneficiary of multiple centuries of aryan supremacist policies

Discrimination is discrimination, no matter who it is being perpetrated against. 

Written By: STAR70 on 02/09/07 at 2:31 pm

Discrimination is discrimination, no matter who it is being perpetrated against. 

...and aryan supremacy is still aryan supremacy, whether it's institutional or direct

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/09/07 at 2:32 pm

...and aryan supremacy is still aryan supremacy, whether it's institutional or direct

Justifying one type of discrimination with another type of discrimination is wrong. 

Written By: La Roche on 02/09/07 at 2:32 pm

Killing, without mercy.. to benefit the aryan race.

This is why I laugh at California.

So, you're telling me that by creating a level playing field where nobody is held up on a pedastal.. that's aryan supremacy?

Written By: STAR70 on 02/09/07 at 2:36 pm

For the record, the group that's benefited the most from Affirmative Action are WOMEN!!!!!

actually, it's WHITE women who have benefitted the most from Affirmative Action.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/09/07 at 2:38 pm

actually, it's WHITE women who have benefitted the most from Affirmative Action.

I'm not arguing with you there.

Written By: La Roche on 02/09/07 at 2:40 pm

I don't know how that breaks down, if you have the stats for that fair enough. But of course, what you have to remember is that there are probably something like 5-6 times as many white women in the US than black women.

Written By: STAR70 on 02/09/07 at 2:43 pm

Can't stand this thinking, today's whites have nothing to do with what happened all those years ago. Most of today's whites have nothing to do with what happened then, why the heck should we all be collectively blamed?

because today's whites are still reaping the benefits of what "yesterday's" whites did

NEXT PAGE: The New Improved Slavery Apology Thread

Check for new replies or respond here...