» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Gun/Gun control debate

Written By: Red Ant on 02/16/07 at 12:26 am

This question has nagged at me for quite a while. While my own views usually fall within the Democratic party line, this is one area where I think the Republicans (at least, in the past) have a clear advantage.

I suspect the answer is far from clear-cut, but fire away (pun intended  ;)) with your answers/ideas.

Subject: Re: The Gun/Gun control debate

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/16/07 at 12:44 am

I don't know.  I'm a Democrat , but I'm not anti-gun so much as I am pro-gun control.  I'm not saying there should be no guns ever, but I think the process by which someone gets a gun should be harder than the process by which someone gets a driver's license, for example.  I also think there should be stricter penalties enforced upon those who sell guns to people illegally, or sell guns to convicted criminals.  I know we'll never totally eliminate guns from the streets and from the hands of criminals, but we should try to do what we can.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/16/07 at 12:55 am

As a Republican, I think the anti-gun viewpoint is very commendable.  The Democrats complain about the death penalty, however they do offer an alternative solution - take away the tools that are used to commit the crimes. 

The big problem I see with any gun control legislation, is that the most enforceable scenario would be against the law abiding, licensed gun owner who keeps a gun for self-defense or hunting... the illegal gun owners, who are most often the ones committing crimes, are much harder to enforce. 

Written By: Tam on 02/16/07 at 1:00 am

..... I'm not anti-gun so much as I am pro-gun control.  I'm not saying there should be no guns ever, but I think the process by which someone gets a gun should be harder than the process by which someone gets a driver's license, for example.....

I agree with this statement 100%.

As for the Democrats, who knows? From what I have heard, there are 4 or 5 bills that they want to pass but they are trying to silence the info on them.
A search on google gave me this: http://www.njcsd.org/content/view/568/9/

I can't believe they want to pass a bill that will stop the manufacturing of toys that even remotely resemble a gun.
Looking back, I guess the old Nintendo gun used for Duck Hunt would be outlawed as well as any new controls for the mega-dollar gaming systems now.

To be honest, I don't know what political faction I am - but I know that I don't necessarily agree with what the Democrats are trying to get passed.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/16/07 at 7:14 am

I can't believe they want to pass a bill that will stop the manufacturing of toys that even remotely resemble a gun.

Now they're thinking of banning toy guns...
and they wanna keep the f**kin' real ones!!!

--George Carlin

I'm not anti-gun.  I'm anti-crime.  Commit a crime with a gun, say goodbye to your freedom for a long, long time!  However, we have to also stop crime at its roots--before it happens.  That's the tricky part.  In the end, it'll be cheaper than locking up thousands of people in every city.
::)

Written By: witchain on 02/16/07 at 12:41 pm

I am a registered Democrat, but this where I draw the line. I voted against every dem running for state office this past November because they are anti-gun. I live in WNY, and the new Governor (Spitzer) has appointed an anti to run our DEC. How f@cking contradictory is that?
Thanks for posting, RA. As an avid hunter and angler I'm pissed all over again.

Written By: La Roche on 02/16/07 at 12:52 pm

I don't know.  I'm a Democrat , but I'm not anti-gun so much as I am pro-gun control.  I'm not saying there should be no guns ever, but I think the process by which someone gets a gun should be harder than the process by which someone gets a driver's license, for example.  I also think there should be stricter penalties enforced upon those who sell guns to people illegally, or sell guns to convicted criminals.  I know we'll never totally eliminate guns from the streets and from the hands of criminals, but we should try to do what we can.

This is a sensible and logical idea.

Getting a gun is too easy. I can walk in to a wal mart in Missouri and purchase a weapon with which I can end numerous individuals lives. I could also carry that gun in my vehicle.  :o Scary.

In the United Kingdom there are sensible laws regarding gun control. Handguns are illegal, big time illegal as in 'If you have a handgun, you're going to jail'. If you're a member of a gun club or can prove you need a rifle or a shotgun for the defense of your land (this generally applies to farmers killing pests) then you can apply for a license.
I think hunters should be allowed rifles, but they should be a member of a gun club (even if they don't go there more than once a year) and ammunition should be sold at specific times of the year (i.e hunting season).

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/16/07 at 12:57 pm

This is a sensible and logical idea.

Getting a gun is too easy. I can walk in to a wal mart in Missouri and purchase a weapon with which I can end numerous individuals lives. I could also carry that gun in my vehicle.  :o Scary.

In the United Kingdom there are sensible laws regarding gun control. Handguns are illegal, big time illegal as in 'If you have a handgun, you're going to jail'. If you're a member of a gun club or can prove you need a rifle or a shotgun for the defense of your land (this generally applies to farmers killing pests) then you can apply for a license.
I think hunters should be allowed rifles, but they should be a member of a gun club (even if they don't go there more than once a year) and ammunition should be sold at specific times of the year (i.e hunting season).

My friend Paul did that.  Except it was a shotgun that we used to blow up (sorta) propane canisters in the Nevada desert.  He had to buy his ammunition the next day though.  That's one quirk of the California law..."Well, son, you can have your gun today, but you're gonna have to wait till tomorrow before you can go kill someone with it."

I'm cool with people having the right to bear arms, but I don't necessarily think that they should be allowed to own assault weapons and stuff :P

Written By: La Roche on 02/16/07 at 1:11 pm

My friend Paul did that.  Except it was a shotgun that we used to blow up (sorta) propane canisters in the Nevada desert.  He had to buy his ammunition the next day though.  That's one quirk of the California law..."Well, son, you can have your gun today, but you're gonna have to wait till tomorrow before you can go kill someone with it."

I'm cool with people having the right to bear arms, but I don't necessarily think that they should be allowed to own assault weapons and stuff :P

Handguns are the thing that bugs me.
You do not need handguns. A shotgun will protect you and your property if somebody breaks in. The whole concept of a handgun is that it can be concealed.... I don't want folks walkin around with guns.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/16/07 at 1:25 pm

Well, the only time I've ever fired a handgun is at inanimate objects.  Guns don't really belong outside of the shooting range, unless you're a cop.  And even with anti-gun laws the bad guys are going to find a way to get the guns anyway.  You can't always stop the bad apples from being bad :(  Doesn't hurt to try though.

Written By: witchain on 02/16/07 at 2:29 pm

Gun clubs exist because a group of individuals enjoy their firearms and routinely practice accuracy. Why should anyone be required to be a member of anything? If ammo was only available during hunting season there would be a lot more casualties, because hunters would not have the opportunity to practice with their gun.

As for the UK- Citizens aren't allowed guns, but the criminals still have them.
Look at the stats!

Handguns are very hard to possess legally, but if someone passes all of the necessary screening what's the problem? Again- Criminals have them. Why shouldn't a law abiding citizen?

Written By: Mushroom on 02/16/07 at 3:32 pm

I don't view it as much that "Democrats are anti-gun", as much as "the Democratic Platform is anti-gun".

As in so many issues, people tend to confuse the difference between the "Platform" of a party, and what people who associate themselves with the party believe.  Like so many issues (abortion, capitol punishment, health care, etc), most polls show that the majority of people are split on the issue.  Just the same way that the nation is pretty evenly split as to which party they belong to.

The "Democratic Platform" tends to be whatever the "Big City Big GOvernment" says it is.  And if you move to more rural areas, you will tend to find that support of this kind of issue moves the other way, no matter what party the person belongs to.  This is because people there tend to be more locally oriented, and pay more attention to what they personally believe, not what others tell them to believe.

Idaho, Oregon, and Utah all tend to be heavily Democrat.  Yet all 3 are also very anti-gun control.  And in California where things are almost exclusively Democrat, if you move away from the big cities you will find that support of Gun Control falls off drastically.  You find the same thing in New York, when you compare the views of people in cities like New York, when compared to people who live "upstate".

And as in many cases, there are a lot of people who will support or oppose an issue, simply because that is what their party tells them to do.  A good example is Ronald Reagan.  A strong "Right to choose" suporter, he signed the most liberal abortion law in the nation when he was Governor of California.  But when he was running for President, he was basically informed that he would have lost a lot of voters unless he opposed abortion.

And don't forget the flap a few years ago when pictures were released of John Kerry hunting.  He had to step fast to say how he supported stricter gun control, while at the same time not making them illegal.

And Sheriff Neil Warren of Cobb County Georgia is a life long Democrat.  He has been one of the strongest supporters of the law in Kennesaw Georgia, which requires all citizens who can legally own a gun to have one in their house.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/16/07 at 5:20 pm

I am not a Dem (don't be so surprise people), I am a liberal Independent. As a few have said, I am not anti-gun but I am pro-gun CONTROL!!! I think there are some people who can own guns and be very responsible about it. Others should NOT be able to. I think if you wanted to buy a gun, you should have to jump through this hoop, then that hoop and have a LONG waiting period for background checks, etc.

Going off topic just a bit (well maybe not too far off), I am entitle to a free fishing/hunting licence in Vermont because of 2 reasons: 1. I am a 100% disable vet. 2. I am legally blind. So, I put in the paper work for my free/permenant fishing licence. They sent me a permenant fishing AND hunting licence. Can you imagine giving a hunting licence to someone who is legally blind?  :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: Tam on 02/16/07 at 5:34 pm

I don't view it as much that "Democrats are anti-gun", as much as "the Democratic Platform is anti-gun".

As in so many issues, people tend to confuse the difference between the "Platform" of a party, and what people who associate themselves with the party believe.  Like so many issues (abortion, capitol punishment, health care, etc), most polls show that the majority of people are split on the issue.  Just the same way that the nation is pretty evenly split as to which party they belong to.

The "Democratic Platform" tends to be whatever the "Big City Big GOvernment" says it is.  And if you move to more rural areas, you will tend to find that support of this kind of issue moves the other way, no matter what party the person belongs to.  This is because people there tend to be more locally oriented, and pay more attention to what they personally believe, not what others tell them to believe.

Idaho, Oregon, and Utah all tend to be heavily Democrat.  Yet all 3 are also very anti-gun control.  And in California where things are almost exclusively Democrat, if you move away from the big cities you will find that support of Gun Control falls off drastically.  You find the same thing in New York, when you compare the views of people in cities like New York, when compared to people who live "upstate".

And as in many cases, there are a lot of people who will support or oppose an issue, simply because that is what their party tells them to do.  A good example is Ronald Reagan.  A strong "Right to choose" suporter, he signed the most liberal abortion law in the nation when he was Governor of California.  But when he was running for President, he was basically informed that he would have lost a lot of voters unless he opposed abortion.

And don't forget the flap a few years ago when pictures were released of John Kerry hunting.  He had to step fast to say how he supported stricter gun control, while at the same time not making them illegal.

And Sheriff Neil Warren of Cobb County Georgia is a life long Democrat.  He has been one of the strongest supporters of the law in Kennesaw Georgia, which requires all citizens who can legally own a gun to have one in their house.

If I am reading you right, you are telling us that the Dems that are pushing for these bills are doing so only because they are being told to? And since so-and-so says to do it, they might as well? They don't have any thoughts, views or opinions themselves? If I am interpreting your post wrong, please break it down for me in laymans terms.

Written By: philbo on 02/16/07 at 5:36 pm

Look at the stats!

Yep - far fewer people are killed with guns: recently three teenagers have been killed (current thinking seems to be that it's drug/territory related), and this is enough to make front page news in nearly every paper, and give rise to statements in the House and speeches from both Blair and Cameron.  Gun crime here *is* that rare, and we'd like it to stay that way.

If I were living over there, then I'd be closer to the Dems than the Republicans, but have to say that the Democrat party is still way too right-wing...

A point that I've argued many times over, though, is that gun control on that side of the pond is a pipe-dream: there's simply too many of the things around, and too many guys (and maybe just one or two gals) love their guns too much.  Either gun control measures will be too weak to have any noticeable effect, or a sizeable otherwise law-abiding section of the population suddently becomes criminal (with a large arsenal, too).  There ain't no way the genie is going back into that bottle.  Having said that, I'm very glad things aren't like that over here.

One statistic I seem to remember reading is that in those places where carrying guns is legal, having a gun on your person made you more likely to get shot than otherwise.  I'll have to have a look for the stats, but I believe the survey was big enough for it to be significant.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/16/07 at 5:37 pm

I am not a Dem (don't be so surprise people), I am a liberal Independent. As a few have said, I am not anti-gun but I am pro-gun CONTROL!!! I think there are some people who can own guns and be very responsible about it. Others should NOT be able to. I think if you wanted to buy a gun, you should have to jump through this hoop, then that hoop and have a LONG waiting period for background checks, etc.

Going off topic just a bit (well maybe not too far off), I am entitle to a free fishing/hunting licence in Vermont because of 2 reasons: 1. I am a 100% disable vet. 2. I am legally blind. So, I put in the paper work for my free/permenant fishing licence. They sent me a permenant fishing AND hunting licence. Can you imagine giving a hunting licence to someone who is legally blind?  :o :o :o

Cat

I'd rather go hunting with you than with Dick Cheney!

It is odd they would give a hunting license to a person who is legall blind.  I don't know anything about it because I've never tried to get a hunting license.  Do you have to pass a vision test to get one?  Probably depends on the state.  I've never heard of a vision test.  

The bigger problem is still people who go hunting and don't know how to use the weapon...or go hunting with a six pack!

Guns are here to stay in the U.S.
An end to drug prohibition would take the power away from drug traffickers/dealers, and this might cut back on the number of gun-wielding thugs.

If I were living over there, then I'd be closer to the Dems than the Republicans, but have to say that the Democrat party is still way too right-wing...

Indeed it is, my friend!
What about Canada?  A heck of a lot of Canadians own guns and yet the number of gun-related crimes per capita in Canada is a fraction of what it is in the U.S.  I still believe problems originating with the rampant poverty and economic injustice in the U.S. has a lot to do with the high rate of violence.  The central message of the American Right is money uber alles and all that glitters is gold!  Is it any surprise dealing cocaine has more allure than working at Wendy's?  With criminal enterprise comes violence.  It's just the way it goes.

Idaho, Oregon, and Utah all tend to be heavily Democrat. 

Maybe I'm missing something here.  When I looked at Idaho and Utah county-by-county in the last three elections, they tended to go heavily Republican, sometimes overwhelmingly.  Oregon seemed to lean Republican outside of the Portland--Eugene axis.  Not arguing here, just asking, as you have actually lived in that region (or am I thinking of somebody else?).
???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/16/07 at 5:44 pm

I'd rather go hunting with you than with Dick Cheney!

ROTFLMAO!!!! (plus karma)

It is odd they would give a hunting license to a person who is legall blind.  I don't know anything about it because I've never tried to get a hunting license.  Do you have to pass a vision test to get one?  Probably depends on the state.  I've never heard of a vision test. 

The bigger problem is still people who go hunting and don't know how to use the weapon...or go hunting with a six pack!

Guns are here to stay in the U.S.
An end to drug prohibition would take the power away from drug traffickers/dealers, and this might cut back on the number of gun-wielding thugs.

The thing was I DIDN'T apply for a hunting licence-just a fishing licence. I thought that I had to pass a hunting safety course-which I never took, but they just gave me the licence. It is possible that the guy made a mistake because he sent me one licence-and a few days later he sent me a new one saying he made a mistake and asked me to send him back the first one he sent me. So, maybe he made a booboo the second time around, too.

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 02/16/07 at 5:46 pm

Gun clubs exist because a group of individuals enjoy their firearms and routinely practice accuracy. Why should anyone be required to be a member of anything? If ammo was only available during hunting season there would be a lot more casualties, because hunters would not have the opportunity to practice with their gun.

Look at the stats!

Handguns are very hard to possess legally, but if someone passes all of the necessary screening what's the problem? Again- Criminals have them. Why shouldn't a law abiding citizen?

Criminals have them because they exist in such large quantities. And in the UK, very..very few criminals have them. Although I'll be the first to admit that the number of gun related crimes is rising, the numbers are still exceptionaly low. Something like 300 a year or thereabouts.. in a country with a population of 65,000,000.

I think you may be thinking I'm anti-gun here. I'm not. I enjoy shooting.. I enjoy hunting. But I think it would be wise for hunters to belong to a gun club and attend at least once a year, simply to ensure that people are aware of specific safety precautions.

A vast percentage of gun related injurys and deaths are caused by idiocy. People with weapons who shouldn't be allowed to own them because they don't know how to use them and don't have any respect for them.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/16/07 at 6:00 pm

Criminals have them because they exist in such large quantities. And in the UK, very..very few criminals have them. Although I'll be the first to admit that the number of gun related crimes is rising, the numbers are still exceptionaly low. Something like 300 a year or thereabouts.. in a country with a population of 65,000,000.

I think you may be thinking I'm anti-gun here. I'm not. I enjoy shooting.. I enjoy hunting. But I think it would be wise for hunters to belong to a gun club and attend at least once a year, simply to ensure that people are aware of specific safety precautions.

A vast percentage of gun related injurys and deaths are caused by idiocy. People with weapons who shouldn't be allowed to own them because they don't know how to use them and don't have any respect for them.

As much as I hate the NRA's right-wing rhetoric, they are the first to emphasize safety precautions and the need to know how to use a weapon before wielding it for any purpose.  The NRA also supports severe punishment for gun crimes.  After all, it is in their best interest to do so.  It is not the NRA-types who are the ones doing drive-by shootings or knocking over liquor stores. 

I don't have the stats in front of me, but I wouldn't over-emphasize dumb accidents versus deliberate crime.  Sometimes they go hand-in-hand.  I remember the Jonesboro school shootings about ten years ago.  The kids, ages 11 and 13, got the guns from one of their grandfather's gun cabinet. 
Maybe that's a bad example.  The 13-year-old in that case hot-wired a van and drove it to the school.  I couldn't have done that when I was 13.  I still don't know how to hotwire a car!  If a kid like that wants in to your gun cabinet, he's probably going to find a way. 

Tough issue, no easy answers.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/16/07 at 6:01 pm

ROTFLMAO!!!! (plus karma)

The thing was I DIDN'T apply for a hunting licence-just a fishing licence. I thought that I had to pass a hunting safety course-which I never took, but they just gave me the licence. It is possible that the guy made a mistake because he sent me one licence-and a few days later he sent me a new one saying he made a mistake and asked me to send him back the first one he sent me. So, maybe he made a booboo the second time around, too.

Cat

What was the mistake the guy made?  Were you supposed to take the safety course, or was it just a clerical error?
???

Written By: La Roche on 02/16/07 at 6:09 pm

As much as I hate the NRA's right-wing rhetoric, they are the first to emphasize safety precautions and the need to know how to use a weapon before wielding it for any purpose.  The NRA also supports severe punishment for gun crimes.  After all, it is in their best interest to do so.  It is not the NRA-types who are the ones doing drive-by shootings or knocking over liquor stores. 

I don't have the stats in front of me, but I wouldn't over-emphasize dumb accidents versus deliberate crime.  Sometimes they go hand-in-hand.  I remember the Jonesboro school shootings about ten years ago.  The kids, ages 11 and 13, got the guns from one of their grandfather's gun cabinet. 
Maybe that's a bad example.  The 13-year-old in that case hot-wired a van and drove it to the school.  I couldn't have done that when I was 13.  I still don't know how to hotwire a car!  If a kid like that wants in to your gun cabinet, he's probably going to find a way. 

Tough issue, no easy answers.

You're right about the NRA.
I think all in all the NRA has good ideas and a good structure for it's members.

Of course you're always gonna whackos who want to kill. They're gonna find guns.. and if they can't find guns, they'll make bombs. Let's face it, between you and me, I'll bet we could probably make something that could take out half a city block. It's not that difficult, it's just being clever about it. If you go in and buy 12 tonnes of peroxide, they'll work out fast that you're up to something.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/16/07 at 6:15 pm

What was the mistake the guy made?  Were you supposed to take the safety course, or was it just a clerical error?
???

I'm not too sure. Like I said, he sent me the wrong licence at first (a yearly one) and then he sent me the permenant one-which included the hunting on it. So, he could have made a mistake sending me the second one or it could be that they only have permenant hunting/fishing licences instead of just a permenant fishing licence.

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 02/16/07 at 6:28 pm

If I am reading you right, you are telling us that the Dems that are pushing for these bills are doing so only because they are being told to?

Not at all.  I am sure that a lot of Democrats really want gun control.  As well as a lot of Republicans.

A lot of this falls under "Groupthink", "following the demographics", and who the "spokesmen" are.

I am sure that the vast majority of people give it no thought.  You only hear about it from those who are passionate about the topic, and they are obviously biased to one side or the other.

I am a Republican, and I also support Gun Control.  However, I want it reasonable.  I want strong penalties to those who commit crimes with guns.  I want control on who buys guns, and reasonable waiting periods.  But when it gets to the extreme like in some areas (certain guns made illegal for arbitrary reasons, 31 day waiting periods, waiting periods and registration for ammunition) are just stupid.

One thing many people do not know is that Jack Kennedy was an avid skeet shooter, and a lifetime member of the NRA.  I bet that if he was still alive, he would oppose some of the insane things they want to pass as "Gun Control".

Written By: Red Ant on 02/16/07 at 6:29 pm

I've appreciated the commentary here thus far. I suppose my question was too vague or worded incorrectly with what my intent was:

Why is the Democratic party anti-gun?

My first two impressions are "because the Republicans are pro-gun" and "no one is responsible enough to handle them, so lets do away with them all".

I'm not sure how much more gun control is needed. Lenghty background checks are unneccesary in this day and age, with everything being computerized. 7 day waits are a decent idea, but I'm not sure they serve any real purpose other than making non-gun owners feel more "secure": if you really wanted to whack someone, a week's wait doesn't really matter, does it?

Special firearms, such as fully automatic and silenced weapons (I believe they are called class 2) require special dealers and a lenghty background check, usually 2-4 months wait time. Owning one of these weapons illegally will get you more prison time than accidentally killing someone.

There are thousands of people who are denied guns every year. Guess what? Falsifying info on the forms one has to fill out to get a gun is a felony. This law is RARELY enforced.

Here in VA you can only buy one handgun every 30 days.

Also in VA, any felon that is caught with a gun gets a mandatory minimum 5 year sentence in federal prison, no parole or time off for good behavior. (Project Exile)

Larger than 10 round magazines are illegal except for LE, though "pre-ban" clips are grandfathered.

Streetsweepers are completely illegal here (12 round drum fed semi auto shotguns).

Hunters are limited to carrying three rounds in a shotgun. Limiter tubes are standard with most every shotgun now. There are numerous other rules regarding hunting, and you can't get a hunting license unless you have been through a hunter safety course or are ex/current military.

Everyone's favorite: concealed carry. Thes permits are rather easy to obtain here, and are good for 5 years. They are kinda lame in that they don't even have a picture of the person to whom they are issued.

I think that it's illegal everywhere in the US to carry a gun into a city or federal building.

I could go on about the huge number of laws already in place regarding guns. I'm not for any new laws, rather enforcement of what is already in place.

I've owned some pretty exotic firearms, including a .50BMG Grizzly Big Boar competition rifle that weighed 30 lbs and could bust an engine block at half a mile. Did I need it? No. It was great fun to shoot, and if anyone can site me a case of where someone used such an unweildy weapon to commit a crime, I'm all eyes.

(I sold it due to there not being enough 1000 yard ranges in the area.  ;))

Written By: philbo on 02/17/07 at 6:42 am

My first two impressions are "because the Republicans are pro-gun" and "no one is responsible enough to handle them, so lets do away with them all".

Isn't it more like "a small percentage of people irresponsible with guns, so let's do away with them all"?

The options are either "let's try and weed out those who are irresponsible before they kill someone", "do away with them all" or "hell, who cares: there's enough people out there, what's a few more killed?"

But I thought the Republicans were 100% in favour of gun control?

...hold the thing with both hands when firing ;)

PS That's not a rifle, Jack, that's artillery

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/17/07 at 9:55 am

You're right about the NRA.
I think all in all the NRA has good ideas and a good structure for it's members.

Of course you're always gonna whackos who want to kill. They're gonna find guns.. and if they can't find guns, they'll make bombs. Let's face it, between you and me, I'll bet we could probably make something that could take out half a city block. It's not that difficult, it's just being clever about it. If you go in and buy 12 tonnes of peroxide, they'll work out fast that you're up to something.  ;D

Now that Anna Nicole's gone, there'll be a whole lot more available!
:D

One thing many people do not know is that Jack Kennedy was an avid skeet shooter, and a lifetime member of the NRA.  I bet that if he was still alive, he would oppose some of the insane things they want to pass as "Gun Control".

Moot.  The CIA killing JFK made possible the GOP of today.  He was a skeet shooter, but he wouldn't go for armor-piercing bullets.  He was a tax cutter, but he wouldn't go for Ronnie Reagan's idiotic 28% top marginal rate.  Sheesh!  I wish JFK and MLK could come back to life, if only to      b!tch slap all the right-wingers who perpetually misrepresent them.
J. Edgar had it in for Dr. King and James Earl Ray wasn't where they said he was that April morning...but I digress!

Written By: Mushroom on 02/17/07 at 10:41 am

But I thought the Republicans were 100% in favour of gun control?

It all depends on what you mean by "control".

Some groups hide under the name "Control", but in reality want nothing less that total abolition of handgund and the majority of other firearms.  Look at Hand Gun Contol Inc.  Then at the other end, you have the NRA.  They have mostly been in favor of a system like a drivers license, where a potential owner is pre-screened and given a license to buy guns and amunition.

I have been involved with guns for most of my life.  My grandfater and I went out shooting many times in the summer, and of course my experience in the military.  And one of my first jobs when I got out of the military was selling firearms.  In fact, it was my bosses requirement that we "screen" people who wanted to buy guns, and make sure that they were buying them for the right reason.

And this was in California, where the gun laws are really screwed up.  Back in 1990, I moved from North Carolina back to Cali, and brought my rifle with me.  It was nothing special, a Ruger 10-22 with a few modifications.  I added a composite folding stock with a pistol grip, so it would be easier to ajdust for my ex to shoot.  I also added a flash supressor, so if we were shooting prone, dirt would not be kicked up in our faces.

A year and a half later, the rifle was stollen by a former friend.  He was arrested in a rural area of Northern California, with my frifle in his possession.  Now at this time he had been on the run for 4 months, having beat another friend to death.  And when I petitioned to have my rifle returned, they at first refused, stating that it had beeen used in a crime.

Of course, I asked what crime.  He stole it after our friend was killed, and she was beat with nunchucks, not shot with a rifle.  They then told me that I was in possession of an illegal assault rifle, and if I did not pressuring them for it's return, they would prosecute me for entering California with an illegal and unregistered assault rifle.  Needless to say, I was shocked.

I then had a rather nasty DA show me the law which stated what an "Assault Rifle" was.  Here is that list:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/genchar2.php?PHPSESSID=0fe01c9e5a5d3276489987b31aee1afe

Now at the time, the word "Centerfire" was not in the wording, so it included rimfire weapons like mine.  And sure enough, my changes (which were purely cosmetic in nature) had turned my Ruger 10-22 into an "Assault Rifle".  It is like adding a spoiler and air dam to a Buick Station Wagon, and suddenly your insurance company deciding that it is now a "Sports Car".

Sadly, the majority of "Gun Control" laws are just like that.  They avoid the real issue (guns used in crimes), and go after the guns themselves.  And most of them are arbitrary in nature.  Take the "Saturday Night Special" laws.  These simply target low cost guns (the range varies from $250-500).  Ironically, Lorcin, Raven Arms, Bryco Arms, and many other companies that specialize in low cost guns are based in California.  Yet you can't buy their guns in California, since they are all "Saturday Night Specials".  And the law misses the point that most criminals that use guns to comit crimes like Robbery and drug dealers do not legally the guns they have in the first place.  They buy them from the black market illegally.

To me, it is like some state deciding that "Any car that sells new for under $10,000 is unsafe, and therefore illegal".  It is an arbitrary rule, which targets the new cost of the item, not the quality, safety, or the illegal use of the item.  And it is not to likely that you will see your local drug dealer walking into a gun store to buy his guns.  He gets them from a junkie who does burglary in exchange for a hit of crack.  Do you think he wants to give up his thumb print and take a background check (if he can even pass in the first place)?

That is why the NRA and most sportsmen oppose what is commonly passed off as "Gun Control" in this country.  Because the criminals are not going to follow those laws in the first place.  Instead, put some real teeth into crimes commited with guns.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/17/07 at 5:37 pm

It all depends on what you mean by "control".

Some groups hide under the name "Control", but in reality want nothing less that total abolition of handgund and the majority of other firearms.  Look at Hand Gun Contol Inc.  Then at the other end, you have the NRA.  They have mostly been in favor of a system like a drivers license, where a potential owner is pre-screened and given a license to buy guns and amunition.

I have been involved with guns for most of my life.  My grandfater and I went out shooting many times in the summer, and of course my experience in the military.  And one of my first jobs when I got out of the military was selling firearms.  In fact, it was my bosses requirement that we "screen" people who wanted to buy guns, and make sure that they were buying them for the right reason.

And this was in California, where the gun laws are really screwed up.  Back in 1990, I moved from North Carolina back to Cali, and brought my rifle with me.  It was nothing special, a Ruger 10-22 with a few modifications.  I added a composite folding stock with a pistol grip, so it would be easier to ajdust for my ex to shoot.  I also added a flash supressor, so if we were shooting prone, dirt would not be kicked up in our faces.

A year and a half later, the rifle was stollen by a former friend.  He was arrested in a rural area of Northern California, with my frifle in his possession.  Now at this time he had been on the run for 4 months, having beat another friend to death.  And when I petitioned to have my rifle returned, they at first refused, stating that it had beeen used in a crime.

Of course, I asked what crime.  He stole it after our friend was killed, and she was beat with nunchucks, not shot with a rifle.  They then told me that I was in possession of an illegal assault rifle, and if I did not pressuring them for it's return, they would prosecute me for entering California with an illegal and unregistered assault rifle.  Needless to say, I was shocked.

I then had a rather nasty DA show me the law which stated what an "Assault Rifle" was.  Here is that list:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/genchar2.php?PHPSESSID=0fe01c9e5a5d3276489987b31aee1afe

Now at the time, the word "Centerfire" was not in the wording, so it included rimfire weapons like mine.  And sure enough, my changes (which were purely cosmetic in nature) had turned my Ruger 10-22 into an "Assault Rifle".  It is like adding a spoiler and air dam to a Buick Station Wagon, and suddenly your insurance company deciding that it is now a "Sports Car".

Sadly, the majority of "Gun Control" laws are just like that.  They avoid the real issue (guns used in crimes), and go after the guns themselves.  And most of them are arbitrary in nature.  Take the "Saturday Night Special" laws.  These simply target low cost guns (the range varies from $250-500).  Ironically, Lorcin, Raven Arms, Bryco Arms, and many other companies that specialize in low cost guns are based in California.  Yet you can't buy their guns in California, since they are all "Saturday Night Specials".  And the law misses the point that most criminals that use guns to comit crimes like Robbery and drug dealers do not legally the guns they have in the first place.  They buy them from the black market illegally.

To me, it is like some state deciding that "Any car that sells new for under $10,000 is unsafe, and therefore illegal".  It is an arbitrary rule, which targets the new cost of the item, not the quality, safety, or the illegal use of the item.  And it is not to likely that you will see your local drug dealer walking into a gun store to buy his guns.  He gets them from a junkie who does burglary in exchange for a hit of crack.  Do you think he wants to give up his thumb print and take a background check (if he can even pass in the first place)?

That is why the NRA and most sportsmen oppose what is commonly passed off as "Gun Control" in this country.  Because the criminals are not going to follow those laws in the first place.  Instead, put some real teeth into crimes commited with guns.

Thank you much for your post, Mushroom. It's one of the best I've seen on this board.

Even though I don't think you were trying to be funny with this line, karma for making me laugh with "It is like adding a spoiler and air dam to a Buick Station Wagon, and suddenly your insurance company deciding that it is now a 'Sports Car'."

Isn't it more like "a small percentage of people irresponsible with guns, so let's do away with them all"?

My mistake for using the absolute "no one" when discussing politics. You are correct.

PS That's not a rifle, Jack, that's artillery

It's not. It has uses hunting big game from long distance, as well as competition target shooting. Since it is a single shot gun with the action part integral to the buttstock, it takes roughly a minute to reload and reposition for the next shot. A .22 rifle with a ten shot clip and a cheapy Tasco scope is far more a threat than that is, especially considering the price, weight and size of the Grizzly.

.50 cal is the largest rifle one can buy without going into class 2 weapons. There are numerous other large caliber rifles, such as the .460 Weatherby Magnum and .458 Winchester Magnum which are sold for big game hunting.

You can buy a .50 cal machine gun here if you have a clean record, 10k, can afford to shoot a thousand dollars worth of ammo a minute, and can lug around a 90lb firearm (IOW, not your average criminal). There are machine gun shoots at Knob Creek several times a year.

I find it somewhat amusing that Accuracy International LTD of England makes some of the best rifles in the world, including a .50 cal semi auto that is accurate to 2000+ yards, yet the citizens of England can't own one.

Written By: Mushroom on 02/22/07 at 12:56 pm

Thank you much for your post, Mushroom. It's one of the best I've seen on this board.

Even though I don't think you were trying to be funny with this line, karma for making me laugh with "It is like adding a spoiler and air dam to a Buick Station Wagon, and suddenly your insurance company deciding that it is now a 'Sports Car'."

It's the truth though, sad as it may sound.  And that is the form the majority of the "Gun Control" laws take.

I am all in favor of gun laws, and feel that people that violate them should be treated harshly.  Do a crime with a gun, life in jail.  Be a parolee with a gun, life in jail.  Buy or sell a gun illegally, go to jail for 10+ years.  Carry an illegal gun (concealed or Automatic Rifle), go to jail for 5+ years.

But that does not happen.  Criminalls still carry illegal guns, and you can still buy them at flea markets and yard sales across the country.  A drug dealer gets 3-5 years for selling drugs, but nothing for the 9mm pistol he has in his jacket pocket.  And the parolee sinply gets a "parole violation", and does an aditional 6 months for having a shotgun in his trunk.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/22/07 at 1:03 pm

???

Going off topic again. Today, they sent me ANOTHER fishing/hunting licence.  :o :o :o  So, I now have two.  ??? ??? ???  I think the F/W department doesn't quite know what they are doing.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/22/07 at 1:24 pm

I could not agree more.  You're always hearing "guns don't kill, people kill," and it's true.  We are never going to curb gun violence in this country by taking away the guns.  We've got to get to the root of the problem and tackle poverty, drugs, gangs, and violence.  It's a lot easier to throw up a "gun control" banner than it is to deal with all of the underlying issues.  And like Davey said, if you really want to kill someone, you will find a way to do it.

I have been around guns my entire life.  I learned to shoot as a kid and my dad has a concealed weapons permit.  We were always taught about safety and proper use, and my dad's guns were always kept under lock and key.  It's not like they wander off at night and make themselves shoot people.  Yet some of the extreme gun control advocates would have you believe that they do.

Maybe I'm missing something here.  When I looked at Idaho and Utah county-by-county in the last three elections, they tended to go heavily Republican, sometimes overwhelmingly.  Oregon seemed to lean Republican outside of the Portland--Eugene axis.  Not arguing here, just asking, as you have actually lived in that region (or am I thinking of somebody else?).
???

I live in Utah and it is about as Republican as you can possibly get.  I can't speak for Idaho and Oregon, but I'm pretty sure that Idaho is pretty Republican as well.  Just saying...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/23/07 at 12:23 am

^

That's what I said.  Ending drug prohibition would end a great deal of violence in our society.  Yes, legalized drugs would present new problems, but it would kick the legs out from under the drug crime syndicates.

People say, "Well, you can't have people buying heroin in the 7-11!"
Alright, we'll just keep it as it is: People buying heroin outside the 7-11!

Written By: annonymouse on 02/24/07 at 12:35 am

but if we eliminate guns to the peoples, it will be like the alchohal reccesion period, the peoples will go crazy and the mafia will benefit (by selling guns).

that was sarcasm. and yeah, i know, there is no mafia. (pshhh... yeah right!)

Written By: Mushroom on 02/24/07 at 12:53 pm

???

It all depends on which level of "Election" you are talking about.

When it comes to the local and state level, all are heavily Democrat.  Mayors, state legislatures, and Governors are almost always controlled by the Democrats.  On the National Level, it tends to switch back and forth.  When it comes to elections for President or Senator, they tend to vote for "Conservative Democrats" if given a choice.

Most of the time, people tend to watch Presidential Elections when guaging the states, and that is a mistake.  Idaho may well vote for somebody like Jimmy Carter or Lyndon Johnson, but they would not vote for somebody like Al Gore or Bill Clinton.  After all, we are talking about the "simple folk", who are more interested in family and church then they are in Gay Rights parades and Planned Parenthood.  Telling some farmer in Idaho or Utah (who is likely to be Mormon) why he should support abortion is not going to win any votes.  And in most rural areas of the nation, you actually see local candidates state they are opposed to the policies of the "National Democratic Party", because they know they would not be elected otherwise.

And Oregon goes more Democrat every year.  In fact, the last Republican Presidential Candidate to win Oregon was Ronald Reagan!  This area is frequently called the "Northern Bible Belt", and "Conservative Democrats" have a strong appeal.  It is only on a national level that they tend to go Republican, because of issues that are important to them which is diametrically opposed by the national candidates (gun control, drug legalization, smoking laws, abortion, gay marriage, etc).

Written By: Tia on 04/19/07 at 4:46 pm

yeah, i mean, i understand that people love and really want their guns, it's so entrenched there's just no dislodging it. but what's with one guy being able to pack so much firepower he can shoot SIXTY people... each MULTIPLE times! and he got all of this stuff with nothing but an "instant background check" -- he basically showed a driver's license, established he had no immediately traceable criminal record, and filled out a questionaire that basically amounted to, "you're not going to go on a killing spree, are you? circle yes or no."

i mean, with even a 7-day background check i bet the fact this guy was a nut would have come out. from what i'm reading, you really couldn't even deal with him for more than a few minutes without it being obvious there was something seriously off with him. this system is totally, totally not functional.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/19/07 at 6:25 pm

I spend a lot of time around undergrads.  Today's college seniors are about as mature as I remember my 9th grade classmates being back in the '80s.  A lot of them are functionally illiterate too.  You should hear the way the read the nooz on the college radio station!

I agree. Somehow the credentials to get into college nowadays are frightfully lowered than previous generations.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/19/07 at 9:52 pm

yeah, i mean, i understand that people love and really want their guns, it's so entrenched there's just no dislodging it. but what's with one guy being able to pack so much firepower he can shoot SIXTY people... each MULTIPLE times! and he got all of this stuff with nothing but an "instant background check" -- he basically showed a driver's license, established he had no immediately traceable criminal record, and filled out a questionaire that basically amounted to, "you're not going to go on a killing spree, are you? circle yes or no."

i mean, with even a 7-day background check i bet the fact this guy was a nut would have come out. from what i'm reading, you really couldn't even deal with him for more than a few minutes without it being obvious there was something seriously off with him. this system is totally, totally not functional.

I heard the NRA is a powerful lobby in Virginia and has successfully pressured the legislature out of adopting several ownership restrictions and background check procedures.  I'd have to go a-fishin' for these citations.  "Guns don't kill people, people kill people."  Definitely.  And a lot of comfort that brings to the families of those 32 murdered individuals.  Given a little more firepower, time, and a bigger crowd, Cho might have killed sixty people and wounded 120!  That's certainly in the realm of possibility.  What about the next Cho?
:o

Written By: Tia on 04/19/07 at 10:02 pm

I heard the NRA is a powerful lobby in Virginia and has successfully pressured the legislature out of adopting several ownership restrictions and background check procedures.  I'd have to go a-fishin' for these citations.  "Guns don't kill people, people kill people."  Definitely.  And a lot of comfort that brings to the families of those 32 murdered individuals.  Given a little more firepower, time, and a bigger crowd, Cho might have killed sixty people and wounded 120!  That's certainly in the realm of possibility.  What about the next Cho?
:o
we've got concealed carry just about everywhere (universities is one of the exceptions, which they had a guy from the council for gun ownership, or whatever that's called, and he really fixated on that, like, the reason this happened is that virginia's gun laws, though, lax, aren't lax enough), instant background check, meaning they have to do whatever background check they can do on you while you're standing there, or else they're violating your second-amendment rights. i dunno, that's my understanding of it.

i think texas's laws are a little more lenient. therefore, they're had slightly more shooting sprees than we have. personally, if people wanna own guns, i don't care. i'm sorta conflicted about it, some days i'd like to own a gun. but, like, a cool revolver. if i ever decided to go on a shooting spree i could only kill six people max with a revolver before i got eaten alive. i'm not trying to be flip. i honestly understand the second amendment on some level, my family on both sides have always owned guns. not my parents but my grandparents and my aunt and her kids, they all had guns. honestly, i like guns. i feel about them the way i feel about fast cars.

but the family has never owned rapidly reloading semiautomatic pistols. if you're gonna be handing out 15-clip fast-reloading glocks to anyone capable of lying on a federal questionnaire, you might as well let street vendors give uzis away free.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/19/07 at 10:10 pm

we've got concealed carry just about everywhere (universities is one of the exceptions, which they had a guy from the council for gun ownership, or whatever that's called, and he really fixated on that, like, the reason this happened is that virginia's gun laws, though, lax, aren't lax enough), instant background check, meaning they have to do whatever background check they can do on you while you're standing there, or else they're violating your second-amendment rights. i dunno, that's my understanding of it.

i think texas's laws are a little more lenient. therefore, they're had slightly more shooting sprees than we have. personally, if people wanna own guns, i don't care. i'm sorta conflicted about it, some days i'd like to own a gun. but, like, a cool revolver. if i ever decided to go on a shooting spree i could only kill six people max with a revolver before i got eaten alive. i'm not trying to be flip. i honestly understand the second amendment on some level, my family on both sides have always owned guns. not my parents but my grandparents and my aunt and her kids, they all had guns. honestly, i like guns. i feel about them the way i feel about fast cars.

but the family has never owned rapidly reloading semiautomatic pistols. if you're gonna be handing out 15-clip fast-reloading glocks to anyone capable of lying on a federal questionnaire, you might as well let street vendors give uzis away free.

I just don't get these guys who think Hustler is more dangerous to decent society than automatic assault weapons!

Written By: Tia on 04/19/07 at 10:19 pm

okay, so, i don't mean to get all sick on all y'all, but i like...

http://www.korabrno.cz/38-1.jpg

http://www.theothersideofkim.com/images/2005files/Ruger_Redhawk_357Mag01a.jpg

http://www.precisionrifles.com/Full%20Classic%20Rifle.jpg

when i was a kid my grandfather had one of these

http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/exhibits/grko/exb/OpenRange/OpportunityRisk/grko474_rifle.jpg

and a really really old shotgun, i can't remember the make or anything but it had one of these jobbers...

http://www.fototime.com/E3BF5BD0DE8AA51/standard.jpg

you know the ones i mean, they had it in the movies. my uncle had some pistols too. but here's the difference, here's what that asswipe from virginia tech had...

okay, weirdly, i'm having a hell of a time finding the pictures of the guns he used. but i saw a picture of them and they have these triggers that are really tight to the front of the handle, they're technically "semiautomatics" but if you can fire them as fast as you can pull that trigger you can fire them i figure about as fast as you can fire an automatic weapon, as long as you're capable of wagging your finger. and i believe you can reload the clips on them superfast, particularly if you sit around and practice with em the way travis bickle did.

i mean, these are not guns the way normal people think of guns. whenever they interview NRA guys on the air they say, look, outlaw these kind of guns and then why don't we outlaw cars, since cars kill people too? but outlawing guns like the glock is like outlawing cars that spew oil slicks and have ejector seats. it's ridiculous.

Written By: Tia on 04/19/07 at 11:10 pm

okay, i'm postwhoring on this now. but obviously since the whole virginia tech thing went down i've been brooding on it a tad and i thought this was interesting. the headline is inflammatory because it's from a guy who self-identifies as being liberal in nature, but i think it gets to some interesting points if you read it. one is that the rules that apply to the "heartland" -- where population density can be like, single- or double-digit per square mile -- can't apply to cities where people are packed in like lemmings. and then there's the bit about, what thoughts about guns and gun ownership do you hand down from one generation to the next? is it going to be about the guns i cited above, that my families had? or is it going to be about the rapid-fire, rapid-reload glocks, which until the NRA got their sick little hands all over were the sorts of things you could only get illegally on the streets?

you know what i mean? yes, there's a "gun culture" in america and once upon a time it was far from being all bad, but the NRA, in its fanatical overreaching, is taking the illegal, contraband gun culture and making it something readily available in every corner gun store and pawn shop. in the process it's subverting a genuine, generational culture that once upon a time made a lot more sense.

WHY MORE GUN CONTROL WON'T HELP

- Gun prohibition has much the same effect as drug or alcohol
prohibition. It would increase the price but not limit the
availability of guns for those who really want them. One of the
effects, for example, of banning cigarettes in prisons is to create a
booming trade in contraband tobacco.

- Within a few years of DC passing a gun control law so stringent
that it was recently ruled in violation of the Second Amendment, the
war on drugs was launched by Ronald Reagan. In the years that
immediately followed the murder rate doubled despite the gun law.

- The killer was mentally deranged and driven enough to have easily
obtained a gun even if there were gun prohibition.

- Since 1993 the U.S. handgun murder rate has decreased 48 percent
while the number of privately owned handguns in America has increased
by more than 20 million

- Culture is a far more important factor in violence that gun
ownership. There are more guns per-capita in Maine than in any other
state save possibly Alaska. About 50,000 Mainers have permits to
carry concealed weapons. Yet Maine has a crime rate one-third below
the national average. Maine has one or two fatal gun accidents a
year, lower than the death rate for snowmobiling or boating. These
figures -- which reflect those of certain high gun-ownership
countries such as Sweden, Norway and Switzerland -- suggest that the
culture of a society affects the problems caused by guns more than
the guns themselves. Introduce guns to an inherently violent
community and you'll get more violence. Introduce guns to an
inherently lawful society and the crime rate drops. In 2004 the
South, on the other hand, had a murder rate 57% higher than the
Northeast.

- Forty-six percent of all those dying of gunshots in 1997 were
between the ages of 15 and 34. Presumably guns work mechanically the
same way for this age group as they do for others, thus something
other that safety would appear to be involved.

- Treating gun laws as a national issue exacerbates cultural
conflict, such as those between rural and urban, east and west,
wealthy and not so well off. Telling rural Westerners to get rid of
their guns is like telling urban blacks to stop reading
African-American books.

- John R. Lott has pointed out that "less than one out every thousand
times people use guns defensively is the attacker killed.
Ninety-eight percent of the time, simply being able to brandish a gun
is sufficient to cause a criminal to break off an attack and the two
percent of the time when guns are fired, the vast majority of those
are warning shots. It's something like less than one-half-of-one
percent of the time is the gun fired in the direction of the
attacker. Even when they do hit, woundings are much more frequent
than times when the attacker is killed."

- A Justice Department stud, conducted from 1993-1995 tracked 4,000
boys and girls aged 6 to 15 in Denver, Pittsburgh, and Rochester, NY.
According to the study:

Children who get guns from their parents don't commit gun crimes
(0%), while children who get illegal guns are very likely to do so
(21%).

Children who get guns from parents are less likely to commit any kind
of street crime (14%) than children who have no gun in the house
(24%) and are dramatically less likely to do so than children who
acquire an illegal gun (74%).

Children who get guns from parents are less likely to use drugs (13%)
than children who get illegal guns (41%).

"Boys who own legal firearms have much lower rates of delinquency and
drug use and are even slightly less
delinquent than non-owners of guns," the study reported.

- The Columbine killers violated at least 17 existing state and
federal weapons control laws.

- In 1997 it was reported that Americans use guns defensively around
2 million times each year, five times more frequently than the
430,000 times guns were used to commit crimes that same year. And 98
percent of the time, simply brandishing the weapon is sufficient to
stop an attack.

MORE ON GUNS
http://prorev.com./guns.htm

|||

Written By: Tia on 04/19/07 at 11:26 pm

you know what i think? i think somebody needs to start another advocacy group, one that's about stumping for the ownership of NORMAL guns, with NORMAL laws. the nra has gone way off the deep end, and the mistake its opponents have made is to go equally as far in the other direction.

start a group that's about the responsible ownership by sane individuals of real honest-to-god guns -- i'm talking regular revolvers and shotguns to go target shooting and hunting (to be honest i HATE hunting but whatever) and defend your family, as opposed to these psycho rapid fire mass-murder machines -- and i think the NRA would weaken by half overnight.

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/20/07 at 5:23 am

In the paper here today they're saying there are around 600 million fire arms in the world and that 200 million of those are in the US alone,and owned by civilians :o

I will never understand why,in your Bill Of Rights,the right to bear arms as the 2nd Amendment,is not seen only in the military context :-\\

Written By: Tia on 04/20/07 at 5:35 am

In the paper here today they're saying there are around 600 million fire arms in the world and that 200 million of those are in the US alone,and owned by civilians :o

I will never understand why,in your Bill Of Rights,the right to bear arms as the 2nd Amendment,is not seen only in the military context :-\\
i've been thinking that if the fondling fathers ever saw the day when the second amendment was used to defend the right of lunatics to own guns, they'd be slapping themselves in frustration.

the amendment itself, its language is difficult to understand. it's not clear if they mean everyone should have guns if the government needs to mobilize them as a makeshift militia (the government wasn't guaranteed to be able to outfit its soldiers in those days), whether it should be guaranteed that people should be able to own guns in the case that they need to rise up AGAINST the government (a sentiment i'm VERY sympathetic too, but at the same time, the US military is the best-outfitted in the world, i seriously doubt anything you get at wal*mart will be effective against it unless they start selling RPGs and IEDs) or sensible guns for hunters and hobbyists (which to be honest, i'm all for. there's a part of me would like to get a nice shiny revolver and go blow off steam at a target range on the odd weekend).

i still say this country is in dire need of a sensible gun ownership association that will peel off the sane people from both the NRA and the ban-all-guns people.

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/20/07 at 6:04 am

i've been thinking that if the fondling fathers ever saw the day when the second amendment was used to defend the right of lunatics to own guns, they'd be slapping themselves in frustration.

the amendment itself, its language is difficult to understand. it's not clear if they mean everyone should have guns if the government needs to mobilize them as a makeshift militia (the government wasn't guaranteed to be able to outfit its soldiers in those days), whether it should be guaranteed that people should be able to own guns in the case that they need to rise up AGAINST the government (a sentiment i'm VERY sympathetic too, but at the same time, the US military is the best-outfitted in the world, i seriously doubt anything you get at wal*mart will be effective against it unless they start selling RPGs and IEDs) or sensible guns for hunters and hobbyists (which to be honest, i'm all for. there's a part of me would like to get a nice shiny revolver and go blow off steam at a target range on the odd weekend).

i still say this country is in dire need of a sensible gun ownership association that will peel off the sane people from both the NRA and the ban-all-guns people.

To tell you the truth almost all arguments i've heard in favor of owning fire arms never made sense to me. And i come from a country that is gun obsessed too,we changed the law recently,right now no civilian can own a gun unless they get a license. Almost 120.000 guns were handed to the police by the owners,it was beautiful!
Hunting is animal cruelty. If you want to blow off steam go play squash. If you want to defend your family from criminals,you're bound to shot someone by accident or live the rest of your life with the guilty of taking someone's life.

Written By: Tia on 04/20/07 at 6:08 am

To tell you the truth almost all arguments i've heard in favor of owning fire arms never made sense to me. And i come from a country that is gun obsessed too,we changed the law recently,right now no civilian can own a gun unless they get a license. Almost 120.000 guns were handed to the police by the owners,it was beautiful!
Hunting is animal cruelty. If you want to blow off steam go play squash. If you want to defend your family from criminals,you're bound to shot someone by accident or live the rest of your life with the guilty of taking someone's life.
i find it interesting, this statistic that most crimes could be prevented by just SHOWING the criminal you have a handgun. i dunno if it's true or not, but it would make sense.

i personally think this country would be much safer if all guns were outlawed, but i just don't think it's going to happen. so we have to look for some kind of compromise where maniacs aren't able to just pick up glocks. right now the NRA is pretty much unilaterally making gun policy and it's just plain not working.

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/20/07 at 6:17 am

i find it interesting, this statistic that most crimes could be prevented by just SHOWING the criminal you have a handgun. i dunno if it's true or not, but it would make sense.

i personally think this country would be much safer if all guns were outlawed, but i just don't think it's going to happen. so we have to look for some kind of compromise where maniacs aren't able to just pick up glocks. right now the NRA is pretty much unilaterally making gun policy and it's just plain not working.

Give them an incentive,what's the thing americans love more than guns? Money!
You don't own a gun,you pay no taxes or something cool like that  :D

Written By: La Roche on 04/20/07 at 2:22 pm

Talking about defending self and family.

I have a 14 inch machette and a sword. Both of these are legal, deadly and 100 times less likely to kill somebody accidentally.

Why not encourage sword or knife ownership? Seriously, what's worse, having a 12 year old running around with a semi-automatic, or having a 12 year old playing Tarzan and accidentally cut a couple of fingers off?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/20/07 at 10:18 pm

I'm not big on guns myself, don't own one, heck never even fired one, but I'm not gun-o-phobic as some people around my very liberal regeion up here in the Pioneer Valley (Mass.)  You notice up here lots of health-conscious liberals post signs saying "This is a smoke-free household."  I have yet to see a sign on anybody's door saying, "This is a gun-free household."

Hmmm.....
???

Written By: Tia on 04/21/07 at 3:13 am

I'm not big on guns myself, don't own one, heck never even fired one, but I'm not gun-o-phobic as some people around my very liberal regeion up here in the Pioneer Valley (Mass.)  You notice up here lots of health-conscious liberals post signs saying "This is a smoke-free household."  I have yet to see a sign on anybody's door saying, "This is a gun-free household."

Hmmm.....
???
i'm really thinking it would be fun to pick up a .38 revolver. not for any kinda self-protection thing, mind you, but just to go blow holes in paper dolls every other weekend. i think it'd be good for my blood pressure. i'll i got all drunk one night and blew my own leg off, that is.

only thing stopping me is, i can think of higher-priority things to do wiht my money at the moment.

Written By: Powerslave on 04/21/07 at 1:12 pm

I would amend this by saying that the arguments I've heard in favour of owning a hand gun don't make much sense to me. Ditto for assault weapons. Hunting rifles and the like at least have some purpose other than that of pointing them at another person. One can argue that handguns aren't solely for that purpose, but I beg to differ because if you're buying one for "personal protection" you are in effect buying one to point it at somebody, or at the very least maybe point it at somebody. Maybe people do buy them just to go hunting, I don't know, but all the hunters I know hunt with rifles. The point I'm making is, it would seem to me that most people who own hand guns do so either because they want to shoot a person (as opposed to, say, shooting a moose) or to threaten to shoot a person. In the end, I have always believed that the only real purpose a gun serves, the only reason they exist at all, is as a weapon to cause harm. Even if you own one for self defence, if the occasion arises when you actually need to use it, you are still using it to harm someone. Sure, there are all kinds of objects people use to harm others, like bats, chair-legs, cars, knives, hammers and the like, but almost all of them have another specific purpose for which they were designed. Guns, on the other hand, were designed specifically to kill and maim. The whole self-defense angle is a bit skewed. If the bad guys were all armed with grenades, would you go buy a box too to protect yourself? I'm not suggesting people shouldn't have the right to bear arms, but everyone has the right to drive a motor vehicle as well, and there's probably a lot of people who shouldn't do that. Gun control isn't a blanket ban. It's control. The big problem I see that's been caused by a constitutional right to bear arms is that there's no specificity as to the type or number of arms one is entitled to bear. That would seem to have been a mistake.
Anyway, I'm sure someone could enlighten me as to a legitimate reason for owning a handgun that doesn't include discharging it, waving it or pointing it at another person. I know they're not much good for shooting padlocks off doors.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/21/07 at 1:26 pm

but everyone has the right to drive a motor vehicle

Never mind the anachronism, but I have heard gun rights enthusiast say there is no Constitutional amendment guaranteeing you the right to operate a motor vehicle, but the Second Amendment guarantees you the right to bear arms.

It is actually harder to get a driver's license than it is to get a firearms permit. 

I don't have a gun or a gun permit.  If I didn't need one, I wouldn't have a car or a driver's license.

While a pistol is built to kill people and a car is not, more people die from the irresponsible operation of motor vehicles every year than the firing of pistols. 

Hardcore libertarians will tell you the government has no business telling you whether or not you can drive a car or fire a gun.

Written By: Powerslave on 04/21/07 at 1:46 pm

Well of course. But the crux of my argument was really along of the lines of, is it really necessary to own a handgun? Taking away all the other stuff I said, what's a more necessary item for the average person, a handgun or a car? You just said you wouldn't have a car if you didn't need one. Personally, I can see a need for most people to own a car, even if they don't use it much. But I can't see any reason why anyone thinks it necessary to own a Glock. Other than to kill someone, of course.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/21/07 at 1:50 pm

Well of course. But the crux of my argument was really along of the lines of, is it really necessary to own a handgun? Taking away all the other stuff I said, what's a more necessary item for the average person, a handgun or a car? You just said you wouldn't have a car if you didn't need one. Personally, I can see a need for most people to own a car, even if they don't use it much. But I can't see any reason why anyone thinks it necessary to own a Glock. Other than to kill someone, of course.

Exactly.  Even the "personal protection" argument (sometimes legit, more often specious) collapses if you are talking about automatic firearms.  These are not tools of self defense but purely weapons of aggression.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/21/07 at 1:57 pm

Exactly.  Even the "personal protection" argument (sometimes legit, more often specious) collapses if you are talking about automatic firearms.  These are not tools of self defense but purely weapons of aggression.

What if, like, 5 guys break into your house? ???

An automatic weapon (or at least a semiauto) would come in mighty handy.

That's why I have a 7-shot semiautomatic shotgun at home.  With a pistol grip stock.  8)

Written By: Tia on 04/21/07 at 2:00 pm

What if, like, 5 guys break into your house? ???

An automatic weapon (or at least a semiauto) would come in mighty handy.

That's why I have a 7-shot semiautomatic shotgun at home.  With a pistol grip stock.  8)
what if someone tries to drop a smartbomb on your house? then it would be handy to have an antiaircraft battery.

i think if five guys break into your house, either they'll be armed too -- in which case you'll  be able to shoot one or two before they kill YOU, no matter what kind of gun you have -- or they won't, in which case they'll probably run the second you show them a gun of any kind.

Written By: Powerslave on 04/21/07 at 2:06 pm

And 5 heavily-armed guys breaking into your house are far more likely to kill you if you pull a gun on them than you are of killing any of them, so waving an automatic pistol at them would more likely cause you to die than if you did nothing at all.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/21/07 at 2:25 pm

^ It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

I think that's what it comes down to for guys with big guns.  It's that one crucial moment they imagine when the five gangbangers invade their suburban fortresses to steal their plasma TVs and rape their plasma wives.  As long as you've got your finger on the trigger of your Glock when you're getting riddled with bullets, you've been a man.  If those Clockwork Orange guys harm your family and steal your possessions with you cowering in the corner, you'll never live it down.  Even if the cops catch the burglars and the judge puts them away forever, you're still gelded because you had to submit to their demands. 

Thus, it doesn't matter that the statistical odds of a firearm in your home killing you or a loved one is 18 times greater than you warding off a perpetrator with it. 

Ever notice how the way these guys talk about their guns is all kinda sexual-like?

Written By: Powerslave on 04/21/07 at 2:32 pm

Yep, it's fantasy-world stuff they make up as an excuse. The chances of something even remotely like that happening even to someone who lived in a high-crime area are so unlikely they could barely be calculated. And if it did, you would most likely be so busy crapping your pants you wouldn't even remember where your gun was hidden.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/21/07 at 3:14 pm

And 5 heavily-armed guys breaking into your house are far more likely to kill you if you pull a gun on them than you are of killing any of them, so waving an automatic pistol at them would more likely cause you to die than if you did nothing at all.

Thus the short-barrel pistol-grip shotgun.  One shot outta this baby will take out at least 2 of the intruders.

I would rather rely on my wits and my Benelli M1 than the "charity" of 5 intruders.  Somebody breaks into my place and it's gonna be raining lead from the skies.  :-X

As an aside, back in '81 I arrived home to find 4 thugs hassling my then-74 year old father in the driveway.  I brandished my knife (that at the time I conveniently carried, a nice 6-inch blade).  One of the thugs, a big guy, said "Who are gou gonna cut with that pig sticker?  it's 4 on 2 little man".

To which i replied "I dunno, but I figure I can bury it deep into at least two of you guys before you kick my ass.  Wanna try?"

Wisely they retreated.  Dad was proud.  8)

Without that weapon we woulda been screwed.  :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/21/07 at 3:20 pm

what if someone tries to drop a smartbomb on your house? then it would be handy to have an antiaircraft battery.

Now you're being silly.  Everybody knows that smart bombs are dropped from ~30,000 feet, well outside the range of anti aircraft artillery.

I'd need a surface-to-air missile rig.  ;D

But the likelihood of an armed intruder is vastly larger than an aerial bombardment.  So I'll stick with the 12 gauge shotgun and the .45 caliber semi.

Written By: Tia on 04/21/07 at 4:12 pm

somehow i've managed to never get mugged or have my house broken into. knock on wood. and somehow i feel no need whatsoever to walk around brandishing heavy artillery. but maybe i just live in a peaceful neighborhood, i dunno.

honestly, if people wanna walk around carrying guns, i'm not sure i'm really that pressed about it. however, i'd rather they be sane, and they not be bent on killing people at random and then taking their own life. as the rules are set up now, the various and sundry psyhos in our country seem to be perfectly eligible for gun ownership.

after all, they got cho's gun when they pried it from his cold, dead hand.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/21/07 at 9:43 pm

Thus the short-barrel pistol-grip shotgun.  One shot outta this baby will take out at least 2 of the intruders.

I would rather rely on my wits and my Benelli M1 than the "charity" of 5 intruders.  Somebody breaks into my place and it's gonna be raining lead from the skies.  :-X

As an aside, back in '81 I arrived home to find 4 thugs hassling my then-74 year old father in the driveway.  I brandished my knife (that at the time I conveniently carried, a nice 6-inch blade).  One of the thugs, a big guy, said "Who are gou gonna cut with that pig sticker?  it's 4 on 2 little man".

To which i replied "I dunno, but I figure I can bury it deep into at least two of you guys before you kick my ass.  Wanna try?"

Wisely they retreated.  Dad was proud.  8)

Without that weapon we woulda been screwed.  :o

If I was in that situation, I'd be ready to put my own life on the line.  If there's one thing I hate in life, it's a bully.  Four punks hassling one elderly man would make my blood boil, even he wasn't my father.*  But what if those guys had been wielding semiautomatics and you whipped yours out? (your gun that is).  Dirty Harry always comes out ahead of the game, but in real life, it's often the good guys who lose in that kind of situation.

It's not enough just to have a gun.  You have to have the skill and the nerve to use it properly under duress.  A lot people would wind up shooting a bystander or shooting themselves in the foot.  Even cops and soldiers botch the job like that sometimes.  Think of Kent State.

*In the case my father, the old SOB probably would have provoked it--and the four guys would be Buddhist monks!  I have yet to meet another man so adroit at p*ssing people off!

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/22/07 at 9:38 am

It's not enough just to have a gun.  You have to have the skill and the nerve to use it properly under duress.  A lot people would wind up shooting a bystander or shooting themselves in the foot.  Even cops and soldiers botch the job like that sometimes.  Think of Kent State.

Yes...that's one of the things i always wondered, is shooting a gun really as easy at it seems?

Written By: La Roche on 04/22/07 at 9:08 pm

Yes...that's one of the things i always wondered, is shooting a gun really as easy at it seems?

.. Yeah.

First time I fired a handgun on a range I was hitting the target pretty easy, figure, close quarters in a home or something, a human is a big target.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/22/07 at 9:36 pm

But what if those guys had been wielding semiautomatics and you whipped yours out? (your gun that is). 

Woulda been the same situation.  You see, those punks were real bad axes until they got the idea that some of their blood might spill.

So in that case, after I *ahem* whipped it out (the gun, that is),  they might have said "hey bud we all got guns too".  To which I woulda said "Sho thang.  But I'll easily ventilate two of you before you knock me down.  Wanna take that chance?"

REAL bad azzes woulda tried to take that knife from me and worried about the consequences later.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/22/07 at 9:38 pm

...i always wondered, is shooting a gun really as easy at it seems?

HECK YEAH.  It don't get funner than squeeziing off a full clip from a .45 auto.  8)

Written By: Powerslave on 04/23/07 at 12:22 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/BangHead.gif

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/23/07 at 3:26 am

What country are you from originally...Brazil, right?  When the gun owners there were required to turn their guns in, was it strictly a voluntarily deal or were there instances where government agents went to people's houses and demanded that they search the premises for firearms (and occasionally had to use force to take their guns away)?
    I myself lean toward the pro-gun interpretation of the Second Amendment, in that the right to bear arms was included in the Bill of Rights as a sort of "check" that the people have against the government should it suddenly decide to suspend the Constitution and become some kind of tyrannical entity.  There is a mindset among more some of the more hardcore gun-owners that any restrictions on the Second Amendment would ultimately lead to an attempt by the government to confiscate of privately-owned firearms, which in turn would pave the way for a totalitarian government and the end of our democracy as we know it. (Myself, well, I don't exactly lose any sleep at night worrying that some ATF agents are gonna beat on my door and demand that they search my place for any guns, it does seem quite far-fetched but then again, ever since they passed the PATRIOT Act and began chipping away at our Constitutional rights, well, can you see where there might just a teeny-tiny possibility that we could be headed in that direction?)
    The problem with the NRA is that they have this "give an inch, take a mile" mentality. They view any attempt at stricter gun control as a step towards a perceived ultimate goal of outlawng private gun ownership. They view handgun registration as a way for the government to build a database of gun owners so when the day comes that the ATF decides to start collecting people's guns, they'll know which doors to knock on. I myself think this is rather paranoid, and I certainly believe that, at the very least, we need much more comprehensive background checks. (I may be wrong, but my understanding is that Virginia has rather lax gun-control laws and if they had more thorough background checks then Cho Seung-Hui would have never gotten his hands on those guns.) Perhaps some sort of licensing system, where any individual wishing to purchase a firearm must pass a background check, take a safety course and then demonstrate their ability to fire, load, and store their gun in a proper and safe manner would be the right way to go. (Is that basically the system that your country adopted?)
    However, I am very much against the idea of banning handgun ownership outright. Although I don't own a handgun myself and I have no real burning desire to buy one, I can understand where people might think, "Well, if they're gonna take away my handguns today, who's to say where they won't take away my rifles and shotguns tomorrow?" Maybe that's a bit of a paranoid mentality, but I think there's some credence to it.

I have yet to see a sign on anybody's door saying, "This is a gun-free household."
Wouldn't that be kind of like having a "Go ahead...rob this house! We're unarmed!" sign on your door?  :D :D :D

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/23/07 at 6:40 am

What country are you from originally...Brazil, right?  When the gun owners there were required to turn their guns in, was it strictly a voluntarily deal or were there instances where government agents went to people's houses and demanded that they search the premises for firearms (and occasionally had to use force to take their guns away)?

Actually those 120.000 weapons were freely handed to the police by their owners, yes there was a little incentive,we're not THAT good lol, for each gun they payed a minimum of 100 reais (around 50 USD). Of course,the ones who did it were mainly common law abiding citizens,the criminals,for some strange reason ::),didn't want to do it,so right now the police does frequent searches for weapons,if they find it they're going to take it for sure.

I don't get why getting the license is such a problem for "gun lovers",you want a gun,prove you really need it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/23/07 at 9:49 am

Wouldn't that be kind of like having a "Go ahead...rob this house! We're unarmed!" sign on your door?  :D :D :D

Exactly.  I didn't think this up myself, I heard a caller to a radio program say this many years ago.  "Let the anti-gun people put their money where their mouth is.  This is a gun-free neighborhood." 

However, as I understand it, one of the best deterrants to burglars is a big watchdog.  A German Shepherd, a Rotthweiler, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, dogs like that.  Most burglars like an easier target because they just want to steal.  If the object is to kill, then of course the assailants will shoot the dogs before they shoot you.

Written By: La Roche on 04/23/07 at 10:14 am

Exactly.  I didn't think this up myself, I heard a caller to a radio program say this many years ago.  "Let the anti-gun people put their money where their mouth is.  This is a gun-free neighborhood." 

However, as I understand it, one of the best deterrants to burglars is a big watchdog.  A German Shepherd, a Rotthweiler, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, dogs like that.  Most burglars like an easier target because they just want to steal.  If the object is to kill, then of course the assailants will shoot the dogs before they shoot you.

I've always found a 100lb dog and a nice blade work as well as a gun.

You can't hear a gun before as you're trying to get in to the house, you can hear the dog alright.. and she's ready to take your foot off.  ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 04/26/07 at 5:27 pm

However, as I understand it, one of the best deterrants to burglars is a big watchdog.  A German Shepherd, a Rotthweiler, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, dogs like that. 

Then you have incidents where people and children and adults are mauled and killed by those dogs.  And following that, you always have people who want to put a ban on those kinds of animals.  Look at all the communities in the past that banned ownership of pitbulls and Dobermans and the like.

And it is not unusual to find "riders" on homeowner insurance policies, stating that if you have certain kinds of dogs, you are not covered in the event of an attack.  Never mind that the dog most likely to bite is a poodle (they attack 5 times more people then Pit Bulls).

You can't hear a gun before as you're trying to get in to the house, you can hear the dog alright.. and she's ready to take your foot off.  ;D

But there are ways to make sure that it is known you have a gun if somebody does enter your house.

When I was in the military, I frequently had to spend days or weeks away from home.  And I bought my ex a rifle.  It was always unloaded, and I instructed her that if she thought somebody had entered the house, to load it, and let the bolt go home very loudly.  There is little that will chill your blood as much as the sound of a slide (or pump) being worked on a gun.  And most burglars will split as soon as they hear that sound.

On at least 2 occasions I came home early from a field operation, and heard that sound within a minute of entering the house.  I simply told my wife that it was me, and waited for her to come to me before going further in the house (we had "home defense" well planned out - she would hide at the end of the hall near the kid's bedrooms, but in a position where any fire would not enter their rooms).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/26/07 at 8:46 pm

Then you have incidents where people and children and adults are mauled and killed by those dogs.  And following that, you always have people who want to put a ban on those kinds of animals.  Look at all the communities in the past that banned ownership of pitbulls and Dobermans and the like.

And it is not unusual to find "riders" on homeowner insurance policies, stating that if you have certain kinds of dogs, you are not covered in the event of an attack.  Never mind that the dog most likely to bite is a poodle (they attack 5 times more people then Pit Bulls).

With a few exceptions bad dogs are the product of bad owners.  A German Shepherd is a keenly intelligent animal.  If the dog gets the idea that strangers are your enemy, you've got yourself an aggressive watchdog.  Unless you live in a particularly dangerous neighborhood, that's far more likely to be a liability than an asset.  Pit Bulls are one of those exceptions.  I don't care how sweet you tell me your Pit Bull is, I wouldn't trust it.  A Poodle bite and a Pit Bull bite ain't the same kinda deal!

It was always unloaded, and I instructed her that if she thought somebody had entered the house, to load it, and let the bolt go home very loudly.  There is little that will chill your blood as much as the sound of a slide (or pump) being worked on a gun.  And most burglars will split as soon as they hear that sound.

Gun dealer:  What I always recommend for protection of the home is the shotgun...chick-chick...
Michael Moore:  That's a familiar sound when you rack it like that.
Gun dealer: Yep, they know exactly what you have, and they'll get going out of there fast because it'll really tear 'em up!

Check for new replies or respond here...