» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: british announce plans to pull out of iraq

Written By: Tia on 02/21/07 at 8:06 am

hmm, stick a fork in bush's war, i'm thinking.

bit hard to think of what a "surge" is going to do in the context of this, but i suppose he could try and find a way to send in even MORE american troops, i guess.

just think, if blair had done this a couple of years ago, maybe he wouldn't have to step down.

i have to admit... i find this rather funny.

Subject: Re: british announce plans to pull out of iraq

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/21/07 at 12:23 pm

What about Harry?  If the little prince wants to serve in Iraq, he'd better hustle. 
Harry's rarin' to go, what about you, Jenna and Barbara?
:P

Of course, the prince is following regal custom, which obliges him to go to the frontlines.

The Danes are pulling out too, all 460 of them! 

Written By: Jessica on 02/21/07 at 12:24 pm

What about Harry?  If the little prince wants to serve in Iraq, he'd better hustle. 
Harry's rarin' to go, what about you, Jenna and Barbara?
:P

Why do you think the Brits are "suddenly" leaving Iraq? That's the first thing I thought of.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/07 at 3:01 pm

Why do you think the Brits are "suddenly" leaving Iraq? That's the first thing I thought of.

I spend a lot of time on royal message boards, and according to everything I've read over the last few months, Harry was going to go whether Clarence House allowed it or not.  He wanted to serve with the other men in his regiment. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/21/07 at 3:07 pm

I spend a lot of time on royal message boards, and according to everything I've read over the last few months, Harry was going to go whether Clarence House allowed it or not.  He wanted to serve with the other men in his regiment. 

Royal message boards?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/07 at 3:09 pm

Royal message boards?

theroyalforums.com

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/21/07 at 3:16 pm

theroyalforums.com

Wow.  As dumb as it sounds, it never occurred to me that someplace like this existed.  Very interesting.

Written By: Paul on 02/21/07 at 3:41 pm

...according to everything I've read over the last few months, Harry was going to go whether Clarence House allowed it or not.  He wanted to serve with the other men in his regiment. 

Being allowed to go is one thing...

But the 'powers-that-are' in the Establishment would never have let him within 100 miles of a checkpoint!

Written By: skittlesking on 02/21/07 at 5:12 pm

Somehow. . .I am not surprised

If anything I'm surprised Blair stayed this long. . .

Oh-I better stop or I'll be tabbed unpatriotic  :-X

Written By: Paul on 02/21/07 at 5:17 pm

Oh-I better stop or I'll be tabbed unpatriotic  :-X

I shouldn't think so...most of Joe Public thinks that way these days...

The London Evening Standard's report said it best...

'...not so much mission accomplished, as mission abandoned'...

Written By: Davester on 02/21/07 at 5:21 pm

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/stupid.jpg

Written By: philbo on 02/21/07 at 5:46 pm

just think, if blair had done this a couple of years ago, maybe he wouldn't have to step down.

Well, he has (apparently) told Gordon Brown he'd be stepping down "soon" several times, though the definition of "soon" is a bit of a movable feast.  IMO, he's stayed around this long so that he'll have been PM longer than Maggie.  But too much longer and he'll be almost as unpopular as she was by the time she left.

Written By: Tia on 02/21/07 at 6:03 pm

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/stupid.jpg
haha. i want one of those. only with blair and bush instead of the flags it'd be a little funnier. particularly if the pictures were unflattering.

the pullout's apparently not as radical as i'd originally thought. something like 1500 by the end of the year, and then 3000 pulled out by the end of next year? out of 7000 total.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/21/07 at 6:10 pm

Wow.  As dumb as it sounds, it never occurred to me that someplace like this existed.  Very interesting.

What's the queen's screen name?
:D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/07 at 11:50 pm

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007080695,00.html

Prince Harry is going to Iraq.  God keep him and his men safe.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/22/07 at 12:48 am

God didn't start this mess, Jesus told us not to start it, so we're on on our own--mankind that it is. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/22/07 at 1:37 am

God didn't start this mess, Jesus told us not to start it, so we're on on our own--mankind that it is. 

That's nice and all, but my sentiment still stands. 

Written By: Gis on 02/22/07 at 2:26 am

Well, he has (apparently) told Gordon Brown he'd be stepping down "soon" several times, though the definition of "soon" is a bit of a movable feast.  IMO, he's stayed around this long so that he'll have been PM longer than Maggie.  But too much longer and he'll be almost as unpopular as she was by the time she left.
*ALMOST* as unpopular. I don't think he could be any more unpopular if he tried. I for one will be waving every flag when he finally gets his sorry ass out of Downing Street!

Written By: Paul on 02/22/07 at 7:48 am

Prince Harry is going to Iraq.

You can probably hear the collective sound of the Royals' Security Men's arses falling out!

A better idea would have been to frogmarch Blair's eldest out there...

Pullout would have been achieved within days...

Written By: Tia on 02/22/07 at 7:56 am

well, yeah, only... who're THEY gonna be killing?

Written By: karen on 02/22/07 at 8:44 am

You can probably hear the collective sound of the Royals' Security Men's arses falling out!

Did any security go out to the Falklands with Andrew?

Written By: Paul on 02/22/07 at 10:10 am

Did any security go out to the Falklands with Andrew?

That I don't know...

...but I do know he was kept well out of harm's way as an 'attachment' on HMS Invincible...

Just found out that Harry will be having a discreet eye being kept on him by SAS forces...

...a shame that the 'pleb' squaddies don't receive that attention!  :-\\

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/22/07 at 5:19 pm

Harry had said he was going to quit the Army if they didn't let him serve in Iraq.  I mean, he was adamant about it.  He said something to the effect of "I'm not dragging my ass through Sandhurst for a desk job."  I commend him sticking to his guns, as it were and wanting to serve with the rest of the men in his unit.  He easily could have said "I'm a royal, I don't want to go" and they would have found something else for him to do.

Written By: Tia on 02/22/07 at 5:53 pm

Harry had said he was going to quit the Army if they didn't let him serve in Iraq.  I mean, he was adamant about it.  He said something to the effect of "I'm not dragging my ass through Sandhurst for a desk job."  I commend him sticking to his guns, as it were and wanting to serve with the rest of the men in his unit.  He easily could have said "I'm a royal, I don't want to go" and they would have found something else for him to do.
that IS commendable, i agree. on the other hand, i wish people would worry more about the repugnant crap they're likely to end up having to do once they get there. it comes back to the same rather prominently obvious fact that in the culture around here, coalition casualties matter but iraqi civilian casualties just... don't.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/22/07 at 6:14 pm

that IS commendable, i agree. on the other hand, i wish people would worry more about the repugnant crap they're likely to end up having to do once they get there. it comes back to the same rather prominently obvious fact that in the culture around here, coalition casualties matter but iraqi civilian casualties just... don't.

I completely agree.  I think that seeing someone who comes from wealth and privilege not using it to avoid serving their country, unlike other people .....it's refreshing. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/22/07 at 9:14 pm

What if Harry gets over there and they decide he's too big a risk to put in the field--you know, be the one to kill the infidel prince and you'll get 144 virgins in paradise---so they place him under tight security and make him fly a desk!

"But I want to be out their in the muck with the other fellows,  I want to carry a gun!"
"I'm afraid you'll have to settle for a stapler, your highness.  The milk and sugar for your elevenses is in little fridge below the counter."
;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/22/07 at 10:34 pm

What if Harry gets over there and they decide he's too big a risk to put in the field--you know, be the one to kill the infidel prince and you'll get 144 virgins in paradise---so they place him under tight security and make him fly a desk!

"But I want to be out their in the muck with the other fellows,  I want to carry a gun!"
"I'm afraid you'll have to settle for a stapler, your highness.  The milk and sugar for your elevenses is in little fridge below the counter."
;D

No, he's serving on the front lines.  That's what all this back-and-forth was about.  He said he wasn't going to accept either not going to Iraq or going but not seeing combat.  He will be in the field with the rest of his unit. 

Written By: Tia on 02/22/07 at 11:03 pm

yeah, although it's a measure of how far we've come that it now seems commendable on the rare instance when someone doesn't use their privilege to get out of service, we commend them, when back in the day it was a matter of course that if you wanted honor you didn't use your wealth to get around it.

i was thinking about all quiet on the western front today and how it was that sense of getting glory that motivated people to go off to war, and experience all these horrifying things and commit all these horrifying acts. and it's us who commend that false glory, by praising people for enlisting. i wish we wouldn't, so much.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/22/07 at 11:07 pm

yeah, although it's a measure of how far we've come that it now seems commendable on the rare instance when someone doesn't use their privilege to get out of service, we commend them, when back in the day it was a matter of course that if you wanted honor you didn't use your wealth to get around it.

Couldn't agree with you more.  Although I can understand how someone might not want to serve.....I know I wouldn't want to.  I wouldn't want my life put on the line for something that a) makes no sense and b) should have been over a long time ago.  I know that I'm a woman and things are different for me, but if it wasn't.....I would feel the same way.

Written By: philbo on 02/23/07 at 5:04 am

Not sure if this has been pointed out already in this thread: it's historically consistent for Harry to fight in the front lines: princes (and kings) have always done so.  I'm not sure why this is being treated as some big thing.

Written By: Tia on 02/23/07 at 7:56 am

cuz rich people kinda stopped doing that.

i think part of it is war's gotten so industrialized and horrifying it's hard to actually find the old honor in combat that there used to be. when you're shelling each other with artillery from ten miles away you aren't really testing the mettle of your manhood anymore, so much as being a pawn in someone else's game.

Written By: philbo on 02/23/07 at 10:01 am

Rich people, true; although the royals are undoubtedly rich, I doubt that has much influence in the way they define themselves.  The ethos of service, of being there to serve their country rather than to lead it (after all, it's been hundreds of years since a monarch led the country in any meaningful way) is very strong in the core of the Royal family (if you ignore all spouses younger than Prince Philip).

It has to be admitted that Harry probably needs something like this to grow up... best of luck to him.

Though you are right, of course: warfare has changed since the days when Edward I led the army from the front...

Check for new replies or respond here...