» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Interview With An Insurgent...

Written By: Davester on 02/26/07 at 4:34 am

'The jihad now is against the Shias, not the Americans'

There's precious little authentic journalism coming out of Iraq.  You might enjoy this...

The man claims to have been getting his arms from a U.S. officer groove ;) on...

Subject: Re: Interview With An Insurgent...

Written By: La Roche on 02/26/07 at 8:06 am

'The jihad now is against the Shias, not the Americans'

There's precious little authentic journalism coming out of Iraq.  You might enjoy this...

The man claims to have been getting his arms from a U.S. officer groove ;) on...

I enjoyed that article and it paints a picture that hasn't really been addressed in the wider press.

However, it was in The Guardian which automatically gives it no credibility.

Written By: Tia on 02/26/07 at 8:29 am

I enjoyed that article and it paints a picture that hasn't really been addressed in the wider press.

the washington times broke iran-contra. sometimes those politically slanted papers will surprise you.

Written By: La Roche on 02/26/07 at 1:42 pm

the washington times broke iran-contra. sometimes those politically slanted papers will surprise you.

Fair point.

You know I just like to rip on The Guardian, with you specifically in mind.

Written By: Mushroom on 02/26/07 at 3:04 pm

There have always been Soldiers (and others) that would involve themselves in "Black Marketeering" for profit.  It goes on today, much like it did during the time of Caeser.

In fact, when I was in Japan 15 years ago, they broke up a ring that involved selling American products like Rice and Beer to Japanese Citizens.  And it happens even in the US, where things like night vision, body armour, weapons, and uniforms can bring in big money.

So it is no surprise that some Officers are doing the same thing in Iraq.  As long as people are willing to pay for weapons, somebody will come along to pay for them.  And the "Shi'a-Sunni" battles are also nothing new.  They have only been going on for the last 1,500 years or so, and do not appear to be ending any time soon.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/26/07 at 6:21 pm

There have always been Soldiers (and others) that would involve themselves in "Black Marketeering" for profit.  It goes on today, much like it did during the time of Caeser.

In fact, when I was in Japan 15 years ago, they broke up a ring that involved selling American products like Rice and Beer to Japanese Citizens.  And it happens even in the US, where things like night vision, body armour, weapons, and uniforms can bring in big money.

So it is no surprise that some Officers are doing the same thing in Iraq.  As long as people are willing to pay for weapons, somebody will come along to pay for them.  And the "Shi'a-Sunni" battles are also nothing new.  They have only been going on for the last 1,500 years or so, and do not appear to be ending any time soon.

Not between Sunni and Shia.  Islam isn't that old.

Written By: La Roche on 02/26/07 at 7:52 pm

Not between Sunni and Shia.  Islam isn't that old.

Nah, you're right.

They've only been fighting since the religion was started... whenever that was.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/26/07 at 10:59 pm

Nah, you're right.

They've only been fighting since the religion was started... whenever that was.

Oh, I'm just quibbling.  I'd say it's more like 1300 years, but it's a good long time either way! 
Picking a defining year in Shia history, 680, the martyrdom of Hussein, it's deceptive to say Shia and Sunni have been fighting since 680 as though it was 1326 years of bloodbath.  It comes and goes in waves.  Different centuries, different cultures, different situations.

Written By: philbo on 02/27/07 at 7:33 am

So if it had been in the Sun or the Daily Mail, for example?

I found this quite hard to credit:
This man who had spent the last three years fighting the Americans was now willing to talk to them, not because he wanted to make peace but because he saw the Americans as the lesser of two evils. He was wrestling with the same dilemma as many Sunni insurgent leaders, beginning to doubt the wisdom of their alliance with al-Qaida extremists.
So what happened to "The Great Satan" that they were talking about?  I simply don't get the logic of your very worst enemy being the slight procedural difference between two strands of the same faith... but it ain't only Islam, is it?

For example:
I was working as a suicide prevention policeman one day when we got a call about a man on a building ledge threatening to jump. When I got there I said, "Why do you want to jump? You've got so much to live for! Are you a religious person, or an atheist?"

He said, "A religious person."

I said, "Great! I am too! Are you Christian, or do you have other beliefs?"

He said, "Christian."

I said, "Wonderful! Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?"

He said, "Protestant."

I said, "Amazing! Me too! Are you from the Church of the Holy Sprinklers or the Church of the Holy Dunkers?"

He said, "Church of the Holy Sprinklers."

I said, "Great! I am too! Are you from the Church of the Holy Sprinklers Reformed, or Church of the Holy Sprinklers Orthodox?"

He said, "Church of the Holy Sprinklers Reformed."

I said, "Wonderful, that is my church too! Are you Church of the Holy Sprinklers Reformation of 1879 or Church of the Holy Sprinklers Reformation of 1915?"

He said, "1915."

I said, "Die heretic scum." And I pushed him off the ledge.

Written By: Tia on 02/27/07 at 7:55 am

damn sprinkler-lovin' bastards.

Written By: La Roche on 02/27/07 at 8:02 am

So if it had been in the Sun or the Daily Mail, for example?

Nah, pretty much the only news sources I actually trust are the Times, the BBC and CNN.

.. and that's at a push.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/27/07 at 9:49 am

I said, "Wonderful, that is my church too! Are you Church of the Holy Sprinklers Reformation of 1879 or Church of the Holy Sprinklers Reformation of 1915?"

He said, "1915."

I said, "Die heretic scum." And I pushed him off the ledge.

Emo Phillips used to do a variation on that joke.  Same punchline.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/27/07 at 2:16 pm

I couldn't open the link, but I heard about this, with few details, on CNN, where it was reported that there may be a CIA connection.  The plot thickens.

Islam, if memory serves, began to spread in about 700 AD, but I don't remember the Sunni/Shia split, or the details of its cause.  Nevertheless, what is clear is that Iran is Shia while Syria and Saudi Arabia is Sunni.  Is it any surprise that all are meddling in Iraq?  And Li'l Georie has gotten us squarely in the middle.  What a bloody mess.

Check for new replies or respond here...