» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Censorship, moments ago, on Letterman

Written By: Johnny_D on 03/01/07 at 12:23 am

About 10 minutes ago, while I was watching David Letterman chatting with Senator John McCain on Letterman's Late Show, David started talking about how Iran has been reported to be active inside Iraq.  Letterman then started to pose a question to Senator McCain, that was along the lines of, "Given what Iran's been doing, do you think it's likely that---" , and at that moment, the screen went blank and silent for about 3 seconds --- then the show returned, with Letterman finishing his question with the word, "---incursion?"

Subject: Re: Censorship, moments ago, on Letterman

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/01/07 at 12:25 am

About 10 minutes ago, while I was watching David Letterman chatting with Senator John McCain on Letterman's Late Show, David started talking about how Iran has been reported to be active inside Iraq.  Letterman then started to pose a question to Senator McCain, that was along the lines of, "Given what Iran's been doing, do you think it's likely that---" , and at that moment, the screen went blank and silent for about 3 seconds --- then the show returned, with Letterman finishing his question with the word, "---incursion?"

Does everything have to be some vast conspiracy?  Faulty transmitter anyone?  Someone screwing up in the control booth?  Something with the signal on your TV? 

Good grief.

Written By: Johnny_D on 03/01/07 at 12:30 am

Does everything have to be some vast conspiracy?  Faulty transmitter anyone?  Someone screwing up in the control booth?  Something with the signal on your TV? 

Good grief.

The possibility of censorship arises from the coincidence of the timing of the phenomena with the content of the program at that exact moment.

No, everything does not have to be some vast conspiracy.

This occurrence may be a totally meaningless random event -- you are absolutely right about that -- it might be nothing more.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/01/07 at 12:33 am

The possibility of censorship arises from the coincidence of the timing of the phenomena with the content of the program at that exact moment.

If it was truly censorship, they wouldn't have even let him start the question.

Written By: Johnny_D on 03/01/07 at 12:38 am

If it was truly censorship, they wouldn't have even let him start the question.

Not necessarily.  Minimizing censorship maximizes its apparent randomness.

Written By: skittlesking on 03/01/07 at 1:11 am

I know an easier way to sort this one out. . .

Did anyone else watch Letterman tonight?

Written By: limblifter on 03/01/07 at 9:58 am

What was Senator McCain's answer?

I would think that they would let Letterman ask the question, and censor the answer.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/01/07 at 10:51 am

It could also be something that the network itself decided to censor on it's own.

Who knows, maybe some far-left Liberal got upset, because he said:

"Given what Iran's been doing, do you think it's likely that---" we may have to kick the Shi'ite out of President Looneytunes and those that support this "---incursion?"

Most "Censorship" tends to be along the lines of "Self-Censorship".  But I tend to agree with others, it was more then likely just a technical glitch.  I did a quick look at YouTube, and things like this tend to pop up very quickly over there.  But nobody has posted a clip of this yet, so I am basically dismissing it unless somebody can come up with anything showing this was more widespread.  It may have been a glitch at Johnny D's cable providor for all we know, and nobody else outside of that area even saw the glitch.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/01/07 at 10:53 am

I know an easier way to sort this one out. . .

Did anyone else watch Letterman tonight?

I didn't.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/01/07 at 6:59 pm

McCain announced his intentions on David Letterman.  That says something about the senator's candidacy.  Bats in the belfry.  McCain should have retired as a war hero rather than making an ass of himself supporting this despised occupation of Iraq and the neocon agenda.
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...