» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Representative Obey has a meltdown against an anti-war activist

Written By: Mushroom on 03/09/07 at 5:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS4wHMCc57k

Representative Obey (Wisconsin) is seen having a meltdown on camera against a member of The Occulation Project.

It is interesting to see how our government works on the inside.  ::)

Subject: Re: Representative Obey has a meltdown against an anti-war activist

Written By: Tia on 03/09/07 at 5:27 pm

i'm not done listening to it yet but i kinda feel obey's frustration. the far left are obstructing the real effort to end the war by acting like spoiled children -- they just keep handcuffing themselves to things and going, no! end the war now! they need a serious dose of realism. the republicans are DUG IN, and it's gonna take brains and intelligent effort to stop them, not different factions of the antiwar movement arguing with each other. obey is right, they DON'T have the votes to just stop the war, but the far left wants everything now. well, it ain't gonna work that way, and if they'd just start compromising with the moderates in the party (which i get the impression obey is, honestly), there might be a chance of stopping the war for real. but the kumbaya stuff ain't gonna do it. republicans will roll right over that.

Written By: Tia on 03/09/07 at 5:28 pm

in any case, i didn't see any meltdown. i saw someone getting hacked off for a damn good reason.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/09/07 at 5:48 pm

republicans will roll right over that.

Actually, it is not all "Republicans" who support the war.  Among the most vocal supporters are:

Hillary Clinton (until she started getting "Presidential Asperations")
Joe Liberman (Ejected from the party, now an Independent)
Joseph R. Biden Jr. (Del)
Harry M. Reid (Nev)  (former Senate Minority Leader)

And a lot of others support it in one form or another.  This topic splits people in many ways, much like other topics like abortion, gun control, etc.  To say it is a "Republican" issue would be like saying Equal Rights is a "Democrat" issue.

And actually, Rep. Obey is on the edge of the "far left".  He simply is not "Far Left" enough for some people.  And I am not making any judgement about what he said, or if he was out of line or not.  Mostly I posted it because I found it interesting.

The fact that Joe Lieberman won re-election itself shows how even many Democrats are split on this issue.  If the majority were as "anti-war" as they would like you to believe, he would not have gotten 48% of the vote in the primary, and 33% in the general election.

Written By: Tia on 03/09/07 at 5:52 pm

yes, a lot of dems were in favor of the iraq war. (and i emphasize "were." most if not all of the dems you cite have changed their tune by now.) that goes back to my point on another thread about how many dems are interested in bipartisanship, whereas the republican party as an institution is merely interested in accumulating power. all their chips are basically on making this war work, at this point, so they'll ride it to all of our demise, just like slim pickens rides that rocket in "dr. strangelove." ;D

as for the majority being "anti-war," at THIS point, all we have to do is look at the polls. it's pretty overwhelming at this point. sorry.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/09/07 at 6:00 pm

Ben Butler (Massachusetts)

?

Written By: Mushroom on 03/09/07 at 6:08 pm

?

My bad, he was a Democrat that supported a different war.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/09/07 at 7:25 pm

If that lady and that guy got elected to congress, they'd soon find out they have to play the game, they'd have to go along to get along just like Mr. Obey.  I'm not saying it's right, but it is the way it is.  The two of them are fortunate they got Obey to stop and talk to them for five minutes.  I heard plenty of frustration in Obey's voice.  He's exasperated because he'd like to end the war too, but he can't get it done, and these "liberals" keep buggin' him.  I'd like to see what would happen if the Marine mom had to trade the Starbuck's cup o' joe for Obey's briefcase and go into session and see how far she could get!
:D

Written By: danootaandme on 03/10/07 at 7:11 am

Obey is a critic of the war.  Why aren't the camped outside the Whitheouse, or stopping any of the repubs who are showing their lockstep intransigence.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/10/07 at 9:38 pm

Obey is a critic of the war.  Why aren't the camped outside the Whitheouse, or stopping any of the repubs who are showing their lockstep intransigence.

What's the use?  Obey tried to reason with those two dipsy-doodles.  The Repugs are too self-deluded to reason with anybody, even their colleagues!

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/11/07 at 5:40 pm

I am not familiar with Obey's position on the war but I have seen the video.

I would not call it a "melt down".  From what I could see he simply got fed up with some know-nothing jagoff who seems to think that Obey can end the war single handedly.

I've been in his position before... Being a leader and listening to somebody who could not manage their own life let alone a company or a group, opining how "I" could solve all his problems.

So to Obey, whether he is a Dem or Repub... I can identify with him.  No meltdown, he just gave that jagoff a piece of his mind.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/11/07 at 5:57 pm

I am not familiar with Obey's position on the war but I have seen the video.

I would not call it a "melt down".  From what I could see he simply got fed up with some know-nothing jagoff who seems to think that Obey can end the war single handedly.

I've been in his position before... Being a leader and listening to somebody who could not manage their own life let alone a company or a group, opining how "I" could solve all his problems.

So to Obey, whether he is a Dem or Repub... I can identify with him.  No meltdown, he just gave that jagoff a piece of his mind.

I wouldn't describe it as a "meltdown" wither.  I expected Obey to start ranting and cursing and flailing his arms.  He didn't. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/11/07 at 8:58 pm

I wouldn't describe it as a "meltdown" wither.  I expected Obey to start ranting and cursing and flailing his arms.  He didn't. 

Yeah, its not like Obey kicked the guy in the 'nards or anythig.

Written By: Tia on 03/11/07 at 8:59 pm

Yeah, its not like Obey kicked the guy in the 'nards or anythig.
not that i necessarily woulda minded if he had, either.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/11/07 at 9:00 pm

The kicking of the cocoa puffs is a fun thing to watch.  Seeing a guy's eyes water and then hearing him squeak....ah....good times. 

Written By: Tia on 03/11/07 at 9:02 pm

The kicking of the cocoa puffs is a fun thing to watch.  Seeing a guy's eyes water and then hearing him squeak....ah....good times. 
they can't take those memories away from us.

Check for new replies or respond here...