» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: MS Governor Barbour signs bill banning abortions

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/23/07 at 2:44 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070323/ap_on_re_us/mississippi_abortion

If the 1973 landmark reproductive rights decision Roe v. Wade is overturned, the bill in Mississippi would outlaw nearly all abortions.  The only exceptions would be in the case of rape or if the pregnancy threatened the life of the mother.

This Mississippi legislation makes no provisions for cases of incest.

Governor Haley Barbour is the former chairman of the Republican National Committee.

From what I have read, there are already very few abortion providers in the state.

As long as the Roe v. Wade decision remains federal law, it supercedes the state ban.

Mississippi was also the last state to officially take slavery off the books, although the 13th Amendment nullified the state law.

Subject: Re: MS Governor Barbour signs bill banning abortions

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/23/07 at 2:48 pm

I don't like this.  If you're anti-abortion....that's great.  Don't have one.  That doesn't mean you should take that option away from someone else.  I especially don't like the fact they have no provision for incest.  No woman should be forced to carry to term a child conceived by incest or incestuous rape. 

Written By: danootaandme on 03/23/07 at 3:09 pm

Not surprised here.  There will always be a faction who will try to turn the clocks back.  I wouldn't be surprised if they passed legislation banning birth control(unless with the consent of the husband). 

Written By: Brian06 on 03/23/07 at 3:28 pm

This should be overturned since it is unconstitutional, at least I hope the supreme court does.

Written By: spaceace on 03/23/07 at 3:31 pm

They had to exclude the condition of incest.  In some areas of Mississippi incest is almost a way of life.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/23/07 at 3:48 pm

What really scares me is that this sets precedence and other states may follow. The danger of that is whether abortion is legal or not, there will be some women who will have them. And if it is illegal, then it goes underground. If someone is going to have one, I would much rather she have it in a hospital with a trained doctor then some back alley with very unsanitary conditions.

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 03/23/07 at 3:52 pm

What really scares me is that this sets precedence and other states may follow. The danger of that is whether abortion is legal or not, there will be some women who will have them. And if it is illegal, then it goes underground. If someone is going to have one, I would much rather she have it in a hospital with a trained doctor then some back alley with very unsanitary conditions.

Cat

Have you seen the movie The Cider House Rules?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/23/07 at 4:17 pm

Have you seen the movie The Cider House Rules?

Yes, I have. It was a good movie despite the fact that it was written by John Irving who I think is a jerk (putting it mildly) but that is a different story.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 03/23/07 at 4:53 pm

now is this actually maybe saying that if Roe v. wade is overturned then missouri is making it clear they won't be one of the states that allows abortions? or they're actuallly going to try and prohibit abortion and then get a case on it to the supreme court so that the supremes get a chance to overturn it?

i guess i could actually read the story and find out but nooooooo.....

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/23/07 at 5:00 pm

now is this actually maybe saying that if Roe v. wade is overturned then missouri is making it clear they won't be one of the states that allows abortions? or they're actuallly going to try and prohibit abortion and then get a case on it to the supreme court so that the supremes get a chance to overturn it?

i guess i could actually read the story and find out but nooooooo.....

Mississippi.  Missouri is a bit wack but not THAT wack :D

Written By: Tia on 03/23/07 at 5:01 pm

mississippi and missouri should go to war. the winner gets to annex the loser. cuz their names are too similar for them both to live.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/23/07 at 5:02 pm

mississippi and missouri should go to war. the winner gets to annex the loser. cuz their names are too similar for them both to live.

Hmmm...they'd have to annex the states in between too, right?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/23/07 at 5:42 pm

The law won't be overturned because it can't become legit law unless and until Roe v. Wade gets overturned.  Until then it will remain a bill.

http://www.unbossed.com/media/1/20051127-schoolhouse.jpg

Mind you, even if you were a victim of rape or your life is at stake, the law still says you have to review sonograms of the fetus before you can undergo the procedure.  Listen to it's li'l heart beat, in't that wonderful?

Up yours, mister legislator!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/thefinger.gif

As for incest, those cases could be covered under the rape provision provided the woman could make the case that the intercourse was non-consensual.  If "rape" includes statutory rape, then all cases of incest where the victim is a minor would automatically be covered. 
But with legislation this reactionary, I don't know....
::)

Maybe I'm just not giving abortion foes enough benefit of doubt, but it seems like there's a degree of misogyny in the anti-choice movement.  A lot of these guys (and gals) hate the idea of women having sex* so much, they figure a woman who dies of a septic abortion is getting her just deserts from God!

* except within the sanctity of the marriage bed, expressly for the purpose of procreation!

Check for new replies or respond here...