» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: 9/11 Families, Time to Get On

Written By: danootaandme on 03/24/07 at 9:19 am

It is time for someone to say to the survivors of victims of 9/11 that it is time to get on. We all still feel the trauma of that day and will for years to come, and many may not get over it, but it is time to stop orchestrating every occurence involving that day.  On Christmas Day of 2001, when they were going to have a one day stoppage of work at the site, the family survivors put up such a storm of protest that work continued on that day.  Some one should have stepped up at that time and said "no" the people who were working there had families who needed them, too.  They had people who stepped up and were willing to work, but who would have preferred not to(I know people who were working on the cleanup).  Everything has been an argument from when to clean up, what to build, when to build, when the search for remains ends. It will not be possible to find and/or identify every shard of remains, and the people working on the site should not be made to feel they are heartless. I am not saying "get over it" just "get on with it".  We, as a nation, should not be made to feel guilty for not having done enough.

Subject: Re: 9/11 Families, Time to Get On

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/24/07 at 10:05 am

It is time for someone to say to the survivors of victims of 9/11 that it is time to get on. We all still feel the trauma of that day and will for years to come, and many may not get over it, but it is time to stop orchestrating every occurence involving that day.  On Christmas Day of 2001, when they were going to have a one day stoppage of work at the site, the family survivors put up such a storm of protest that work continued on that day.  Some one should have stepped up at that time and said "no" the people who were working there had families who needed them, too.  They had people who stepped up and were willing to work, but who would have preferred not to(I know people who were working on the cleanup).  Everything has been an argument from when to clean up, what to build, when to build, when the search for remains ends. It will not be possible to find and/or identify every shard of remains, and the people working on the site should not be made to feel they are heartless. I am not saying "get over it" just "get on with it".  We, as a nation, should not be made to feel guilty for not having done enough.

I honestly can't say anything...because I cannot even imagine what it would be like to be one of these family members that were left behind (while their loved one(s) died on 9-11).  I don't know how I would be if I would happen to be in their shoes. I would probably have so many mixed emotions and such...I mean, even though it's been awhile since it's happened....these tragic things probably aren't something that can be easy to "get over" or "get on with".

Written By: Tia on 03/24/07 at 10:40 am

i imagine it's not only the loss of a family member but that the attacks themselves were so apocalyptic and horrifying. i mean, everybody's all fixated on it, not just the per-se survivors, although they plainly get it the worst.

i do this dream workshop from time to time and it's really telling how often people talk about dreams about 9/11 or about "terrorist" attacks or something else. it really buried deep into people's psyches.

that said, i also find it striking how few people take the experience of 9/11 and turn it around to say, gee, if it was so awful for us maybe when we bomb afghanistan or iraq or vietnam or grenada or help fund right-wing death squads in central america or etc. etc., the people there might react similarly. americans should know now what it feels like to be attacked but evidently we don't.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/24/07 at 12:30 pm

I honestly can't say anything...because I cannot even imagine what it would be like to be one of these family members that were left behind (while their loved one(s) died on 9-11).  I don't know how I would be if I would happen to be in their shoes. I would probably have so many mixed emotions and such...I mean, even though it's been awhile since it's happened....these tragic things probably aren't something that can be easy to "get over" or "get on with".

I'm not saying the are easy to get over or get on with.  They need someone to take them by the hand and say it is time to try, time to stop obsessing and time to pay more attention to the day to day.  I do not mean to diminish the feelings the must have, but catastrophes have happened before, and will again, and people, although changed forever, have had to know when it is time to remember the past, but not live in it, and look forward. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/24/07 at 12:40 pm

It seems there's just a few 9/11 victims' families doing all the agitating.

My beef is not with the families.

My beef is with the suppression of 9/11 truth in the media.  I hate the way the Right uses 9/11 as a war-mongering campaign and emotional blackmail. 

I certainly think it is pathetic for Rotten Rudy to make his 9/11 heroism the cornerstone of his presidential campaign.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/24/07 at 6:08 pm

I certainly think it is pathetic for Rotten Rudy to make his 9/11 heroism the cornerstone of his presidential campaign.

That drives me nuts.  What exactly did he do that made him especially heroic?  I don't see what he did, although much better than the bush league bug out, much different than any person who had achieved his position would have done.

Written By: Tia on 03/24/07 at 6:10 pm

the bush league bug out, much different than any person who had achieved his position would have done.
"twenty minutes cookin' yer heels at the booker school." line from a conspiracy theory song we used to do in the old band.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/24/07 at 6:27 pm

That drives me nuts.  What exactly did he do that made him especially heroic?  I don't see what he did, although much better than the bush league bug out, much different than any person who had achieved his position would have done.

Exactly.  It's all political marketing.  The media and the politicos also still grant more respect to Republicans who act macho than Dems, or anybody else. 

It brings to mind that the Republicans took congress by a slimmer majority in '94 than the Dems did in '06.  Yet, in '94, Newt was billed as a man who earned the rights to wrest power from the Clinton White House.  There was even talk of a "co-presidency."  When the Dems won last November with a bigger majority, Clinton himself said, "The American people didn't give the Democrats a mandate, they gave them a chance."  If the Dems market themselves as deferential, they'll have to defer!

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/24/07 at 6:52 pm

Mind you I am not a big Guiliani fan, but in the immediate wake of 9/11 he took charge and was a LEADER who served to keep New York running and to not shut completely down.  He to many was the "face man" for the recovery.  he projected a can-do attitude and pulled together the various government services.  New York City was served well by him in the aftermath of the attacks.

I do not know that the word "hero" applies, but he certainly was an effective LEADER in a dark hour, and he stood up to the task.  For that I salute him, no question about it. 

How many civic leaders woulda folded under the pressure and then immediately started blaming everybody else for their inaction?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/24/07 at 10:02 pm

Mind you I am not a big Guiliani fan, but in the immediate wake of 9/11 he took charge and was a LEADER who served to keep New York running and to not shut completely down.  He to many was the "face man" for the recovery.  he projected a can-do attitude and pulled together the various government services.  New York City was served well by him in the aftermath of the attacks.

I do not know that the word "hero" applies, but he certainly was an effective LEADER in a dark hour, and he stood up to the task.  For that I salute him, no question about it. 

How many civic leaders woulda folded under the pressure and then immediately started blaming everybody else for their inaction?

Yes, he did his mayorial duties in a time of great crisis.  The rest is marketing.  Leadership in a national emergency is quite a different beast from leadership in day-to-day politics.  It does not follow that because he performed well on 9/11 that he would make a good president.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/25/07 at 6:53 am

I believe more would have shown the necessary leadership quality shown by rudy(but not by bush) than would have folded.  You don't get to be the head of a major, world class, urban area, without having brass balls.

Written By: Tia on 03/25/07 at 11:00 am

i have a lot more admiration for the firefighters and the cops than i do for rudy. from where i was sitting basically rudy did a buncha photo ops. funny thing is, bush couldn't even do THAT! ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/25/07 at 4:44 pm

I don't mean to start another sh*tstorm, but if in the weeks following 9/11, the federal government treated New York like it treated New Orleans after Katrina, Rudy might have pulled a Ray Nagin!
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/25/07 at 7:00 pm

"I firmly believe, as does every person here, that this deep, empty hole has come to stand not only for the New York City of today, but also for the transformation of the entire United States since Sept. 11, 2001."

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/52325

Because any journalist can tell the story.  It takes a comedian to tell the truth.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/25/07 at 7:16 pm

The Onion, though satirical, completely hits the nail on the head sometimes.  It's sad when the above adage is actually true.

Check for new replies or respond here...