» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: get ready boys and girls! it's the alberto gonzales speak n say!

Written By: Tia on 04/19/07 at 8:02 pm

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004SPXP.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

go ahead! pull the string! you know you want to!

*zip*

the moo-cow says...

http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2005/02/02/mn_senate_gonzales_d.jpg

"i don't recall."

*zip*

the baby chick says...

http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/122986/2133915/2135227/060206_disp_gonzalezEX.jpg

"i don't recall."

if you listen carefully, you can hear the pretty horsie say...

http://www.doublespeakshow.com/images/2006/07/alberto.jpg

"again, i don't recall."

in the morning, the rooster says...

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/Alberto-Gonzales.jpg

"if that's mr. sampson's characterization of my recollection then i wouldn't want to characterize his characterization, but i simply don't recall."

in the pasture, the cuddly sheep says...

http://graphics.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2005/12/21/1135195564_1860.jpg

"no, i wasn't saying, no, i didn't attend that meeting, i was saying no, i don't recall."

the big gruff goat says...

http://www.somosprimos.com/sp2004/spdec04/JudgeGonzales.jpg

"i'm not going to say mistakes weren't made, and i'm not going to say whether or not decisions might not have been made which in retrospect might not have seen to be regrettable, and i'm not saying i might not have made some of those decisions. i'm simply saying i don't recall."

the soft furry kittycat says...

http://news.com.com/i/ne/p/2006/gonzales2_210x216.jpg

"you may have asked me that question earlier, and i may have said i don't recall, or i may not. i simply don't recall."

even petey realizes...

http://andyandvickisplace.com/alex/images/alex(goofy)000623.jpg

gee, mommy! all the animals on the alberto gonzales farm sound an awful lot alike!"

sorry for the mister mister-style post, but i've been wanting to do that all evening. man, i love this town sometimes.

Subject: Re: get ready boys and girls! it's the alberto gonzales speak n say!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/19/07 at 9:25 pm

"Chances are 'coz I wear a silly grin the moment you come into view..."
--Johnny Mathis
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/nike.gif

And that's my take on Gonzales.  His cheesy ear-to-ear smile reminded me of a character from one of my favorite movies:*

http://www.homevideos.com/freezeframes1203/fargo178.jpeg
Jerry Lundegaard
"Well, I would know, I'm the executive sales manager!  Yer darn tootin'!"

I mean, it's the same kind smarmy, sneaky, weasely, evasive, obfuscating, got-something-to-hide demeanor with Gonzales!

*Ya, dat would be "Fargo," with William H. Macy, y'know.

Written By: Tia on 04/19/07 at 9:31 pm

i don't remember macy too clearly from fargo, but there's something about him in magnolia that reminds me of what gonzales would have ended up like if he hadn't found a nice crime syndicate to fall in with.

i actually didn't watch it, the hearings, so i'm not terribly clear on gonzales' physical mannerisms... but i was listening to it ALL DAY LONG while doing tedious paperwork at the office and now i find myself incapable of conversing about copious quantities of obfuscation, deliberately ambling digressions, and plain old memory lapses. heck, i don't even remember what thread this is.

i found ole orrin's defense of him particularly amusing. he's got to be the biggest trashy, mattress-back slut in the history of politics. and i mean that in the nicest way.

my jaw fell to the floor when i heard jeff sessions rip into him. republican from alabama! sessions is about as hardcore republican as you can get... but apparently he was also a prosecutor for a long time and this makes him nuts.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/19/07 at 9:33 pm

I only wish I knew what the hell this is all about...

Written By: Tia on 04/19/07 at 9:37 pm

I only wish I knew what the hell this is all about...
you crazy kids!

attorney general gonzales has been testifying before congress all day. it's actually a pretty big deal but it got eclipsed by... well, you know.

i was pretty much wrapped up in it the way my parents talk about getting wrapped up in the watergate hearings. hey! i should start a favorite congressional hearings thread! watergate, iran-contra, the church committee... this could go down with the classics.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/19/07 at 9:44 pm

you crazy kids!

attorney general gonzales has been testifying before congress all day. it's actually a pretty big deal but it got eclipsed by... well, you know.

i was pretty much wrapped up in it the way my parents talk about getting wrapped up in the watergate hearings. hey! i should start a favorite congressional hearings thread! watergate, iran-contra, the church committee... this could go down with the classics.

Huh.. I don't recall.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/19/07 at 9:45 pm

i don't remember macy too clearly from fargo, but there's something about him in magnolia that reminds me of what gonzales would have ended up like if he hadn't found a nice crime syndicate to fall in with.

i actually didn't watch it, the hearings, so i'm not terribly clear on gonzales' physical mannerisms... but i was listening to it ALL DAY LONG while doing tedious paperwork at the office and now i find myself incapable of conversing about copious quantities of obfuscation, deliberately ambling digressions, and plain old memory lapses. heck, i don't even remember what thread this is.

i found ole orrin's defense of him particularly amusing. he's got to be the biggest trashy, mattress-back slut in the history of politics. and i mean that in the nicest way.

my jaw fell to the floor when i heard jeff sessions rip into him. republican from alabama! sessions is about as hardcore republican as you can get... but apparently he was also a prosecutor for a long time and this makes him nuts.

Well, I've got a pint of half-and-half with a longer shelf-life than Gonzales at this point (and I bought that half-and-half last week!)
Everybody is sick of this guy's BS.  

"I don't remember, I don't recall, I got no memory of anything at all!"
--Peter Gabriel

What worked for Ronald Reagan in 1987 will not work for Gonzales in 2007, that's because Gonzales is not Reagan and this is not 1987!

And it might not stop with Gonzales.  That's what scares the administration.  Otherwise, they'd gladly throw Gonzales to the wolves!

Definitely watch "Fargo" again.  I've watched it over and over.  It's a tragedy with perverse black comedy mixed in.  It's Shakespeare goes to Minnesota!  What I love about "Fargo" is the utter incompetence of everybody entering into the situation (except Chief Gunderson, of course).  None of these guys can do anything right.  They all approach the crisis with their own ego problems and social pathologies.  Whenever a chance for one of them to get it right arises, he acts in precisely the wrong way!  
BTW, in spite of the "based on a true story" prologue, "Fargo" was entirely fiction created by the Cohen Brothers.
This confusion has caused a few real-life problems, including the death of a bipolar Japanese woman who went searching in sub-zero temperatures for the million dollars Carl Showalter hides in a snowbank by the side of the highway!
:o

Written By: Tia on 04/19/07 at 9:51 pm

mmm... sounds like the true exquisite beauty that is... "dog day afternoon." go with me here.

i saw fargo and i think maybe i just wasn't ready for the woodchipper or something. it set me up for this mellow midwestern adventure a la... i dunno, the mackenzie brothers or something, and then it became cannibal holocaust. i just wasn't ready for all the violence. if i'm expecting it, that's one thing. for grindhouse... i was prepared, and so i loved it. so anyway... i'll try it again sometime.

i loved raising arizona. but i've found the coen brothers kinda irregular. i mean, i like a lot of their stuff but just as often they sorta annoy me.

yeah, i think you're right about gonzales. i mean, wolfowitz is having his little meltdown, there was 2006, iraq, obviously, they've got to feel like the guys in night of the living dead, trying to nail the boards over the windows. in speaking of classic films. i think they're pretty much saying either we hold our ground with gonzales, or else we have no idea how far this is gonna go. otherwise, like you say, anyone who was such a liability would have been gone long ago.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/19/07 at 10:07 pm

mmm... sounds like the true exquisite beauty that is... "dog day afternoon." go with me here.

i saw fargo and i think maybe i just wasn't ready for the woodchipper or something. it set me up for this mellow midwestern adventure a la... i dunno, the mackenzie brothers or something, and then it became cannibal holocaust. i just wasn't ready for all the violence. if i'm expecting it, that's one thing. for grindhouse... i was prepared, and so i loved it. so anyway... i'll try it again sometime.

There are several disturbing scenes in "Fargo."  The fact is, there really have been people who have disposed of murder victims in woodchippers.  There really are people out there as horrible as Lundegaard, Grimsrud, Showalter, and Proudfoot.  Gaear Grimsrud (Peter Stormare) is a great character because he's such a reptilian psychopath.  He's totally still and quiet, moving only in sudden bursts of murderous aggression.  It's like when Showalter (Steve Buscemi) blows the bribe of the state trooper.  Meanwhile, Grimsrud just sits there with the Marlboro dangling from his mouth.  Then he thrusts his arm over, pulls the cop in, grabs the pistol from the glove compartment, and shoots the trooper in the top of the head, blows his brains out.  Then he goes right back to hs sluggish, laconic self, "You'll take care of it...you are a smooth smoothie, you know dat?"
For me "Fargo" is less about the gruesome violence than about the motivations of the characters.  Anyway....

i loved raising arizona. but i've found the coen brothers kinda irregular. i mean, i like a lot of their stuff but just as often they sorta annoy me.
"Raising Arizona" is one of my all-time favorites.  "O Brother Where Art Thou?" was great, but a little too contrived.  The Cohen brothers annoy a lot of people!

yeah, i think you're right about gonzales. i mean, wolfowitz is having his little meltdown, there was 2006, iraq, obviously, they've got to feel like the guys in night of the living dead, trying to nail the boards over the windows. in speaking of classic films. i think they're pretty much saying either we hold our ground with gonzales, or else we have no idea how far this is gonna go. otherwise, like you say, anyone who was such a liability would have been gone long ago.

Wolfowitz, Gonzales, and some of these other slimeballs need long stretches in federal prison.  I think that might send a message to white collar criminals that it fails to send to street criminals who, generally, have nothing to lose.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/19/07 at 10:10 pm

Well, I know nothing about this trial thing, but I do know that I like "Raising Arizona" a lot.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/20/07 at 11:26 am

I listened/watched the hearings. Good Ole Al was not doing too good. As they say, "When is doubt, say 'I don't recall'." I think Chuck Schumer called it BEFORE the hearing started with his opening statement saying something to the effect that he didn't want to hear "I don't recall" and of course, that is what we all heard. I did like Fienstien's statement that no one seems to know who made the decision to fire these people. But, I'm sure we can all guess who it was. And I know Pat Leahy knows who it was, too and I think to Pat, Al is just a small fry and he wants to go after the bigger fish.

ALL ROADS LEAD TO ROMVE!

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ynPa6nW7Kk1MbM:http://www.robertsilvey.com/photos/uncategorized/rove_insouciant_1.jpg

Cat

Written By: Tia on 04/20/07 at 6:21 pm

tell you the truth, i'm surprised gonzo didn't step down today. i'd say he's on red-alert career deathwatch.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/23/07 at 3:37 am

Customer: We sat here right in this room and went over this and over this!

Jerry: Yah, but that TruCoat -

Customer: I sat right here and said I didn't want no TruCoat!

Jerry: Yah, but I'm sayin', that TruCoat, you don't get it and you get oxidization problems. It'll cost you a heck of lot more'n five hundred -

Customer: You're sittin' here, you're talkin' in circles! You're talkin' like we didn't go over this already!

Jerry: Yah, but this TruCoat -

Customer: We had us a deal here for nine-teen-five. You sat there and darned if you didn't tell me you'd get this car, these options, without the sealant, for nine-teen-five!

Jerry: All right, I'm not sayin' I didn't -

Customer: You called me twenty minutes ago and said you had it! Ready to make delivery, ya says! Come on down and get it! And here ya are and you're wastin' my time and you're wastin' my wife's time and I'm payin' nineteen-five for this vehicle here!

Jerry: All right. I'll talk to my boss. See, they install that TruCoat at the factory, there's nothin' we can do, but I'll talk to my boss.

Customer: These guys here - these guys! It's always the same! It's always more!

Jerry: You goin' to the Gophers on Sunday?

Salesman: Oh you betchya.

Jerry: You wouldn't happen to have an extra ticket?

Salesman: You kiddin'!?

Jerry: Well, he never done this before. But seeing as it's special circumstances and all, he says I can knock a hundred dollars off that Trucoat.

Customer: One hundred... You lied to me, Mr Lundegaard. You're a bald-faced liar. A... f*cking liar.

Customer's Wife: Bucky, please.

Customer: Where's my g*dd*mn check book? Let's get this over with.

;D ;D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/23/07 at 10:07 am

Customer: We sat here right in this room and went over this and over this!

Jerry: Yah, but that TruCoat -

Customer: I sat right here and said I didn't want no TruCoat!

Jerry: Yah, but I'm sayin', that TruCoat, you don't get it and you get oxidization problems. It'll cost you a heck of lot more'n five hundred -

Customer: You're sittin' here, you're talkin' in circles! You're talkin' like we didn't go over this already!

Jerry: Yah, but this TruCoat -

Customer: We had us a deal here for nine-teen-five. You sat there and darned if you didn't tell me you'd get this car, these options, without the sealant, for nine-teen-five!

Jerry: All right, I'm not sayin' I didn't -

Customer: You called me twenty minutes ago and said you had it! Ready to make delivery, ya says! Come on down and get it! And here ya are and you're wastin' my time and you're wastin' my wife's time and I'm payin' nineteen-five for this vehicle here!

Jerry: All right. I'll talk to my boss. See, they install that TruCoat at the factory, there's nothin' we can do, but I'll talk to my boss.

Customer: These guys here - these guys! It's always the same! It's always more!

Jerry: You goin' to the Gophers on Sunday?

Salesman: Oh you betchya.

Jerry: You wouldn't happen to have an extra ticket?

Salesman: You kiddin'!?

Jerry: Well, he never done this before. But seeing as it's special circumstances and all, he says I can knock a hundred dollars off that Trucoat.

Customer: One hundred... You lied to me, Mr Lundegaard. You're a bald-faced liar. A... f*cking liar.

Customer's Wife: Bucky, please.

Customer: Where's my g*dd*mn check book? Let's get this over with.

;D ;D ;D

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumleft.gif
You da man!  You know your "Fargo"!
You notice later in the film, Jerry's pitching to another customer (I don't have the exact lines in front of me):

Jerry: Yah, this comes fully loaded, all the options, AC, stereo, alarm, and it comes with a heck of a sealant...
Customer: Yah, but I don't need no sealant.
(So you know Jerry pulls the same BS with all the customers.)

I like the actor who played "Bucky," but I thought Don Knotts would have been perfect in that role.  I can just hear him saying,
"It's always the same with these people!  It's always more!"

The little sketch I memorized and recited is "Mr. Mohra":
(I think this guy was a genuine yokel as IMDb shows "Fargo" as his only role)

Mr. Mohra: So, I'm tendin' bar there at Ecklund and Swedlin's last Tuesday and this little guy's drinkin' and he says, "So where can a guy find some action? I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake." And I says, "What kinda action?" and he says, "Woman action, what do I look like?" And I says, "Well, what do I look like, I don't arrange that kinda thing," and he says, "I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake," and I says, "Well, this ain't that kinda place."
Officer Olson: Uh-huh.
Mr. Mohra: So he says, "So I get it, so you think I'm some kinda jerk for askin'," only he doesn't use the word jerk.
Officer Olson: I understand.
Mr. Mohra: And then he calls me a jerk and says the last guy who thought he was a jerk was dead now. So I don't say nothin' and he says, "What do ya think about that?" So I says, "Well, dat don't sound like too good a deal for him then."
Officer Olson: Ya got that right.
Mr. Mohra: And he says, "Yah, dat guy's dead and I don't mean of old age." And then he says, "Geez, I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake."
Officer Olson: White Bear Lake?
Mr. Mohra: Well, Ecklund & Swedlin's, that's closer ta Moose Lake, so I made dat assumption.
Officer Olson: Oh sure.
Mr. Mohra: So, ya know, he's drinkin', so I don't think a whole great deal of it, but Mrs. Mohra heard about the homicides down here and she thought I should call it in, so I called it in. End o' story.
Officer Olson: What'd this guy look like anyway?
Mr. Mohra: Oh, he was a little guy. Kinda funny lookin'.
Officer Olson: Uh-huh. In what way?
Mr. Mohra: Oh, just in a general kinda way.
;D ;D ;D

Anyway, we're waaaaay off topic here.  This hould probably get moved to a "Fargo" thread in the 90s section.  I could go on about "Fargo" all day, it's one of my top 10 favorite films of all time!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/23/07 at 3:37 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumleft.gif
You da man!  You know your "Fargo"!
You notice later in the film, Jerry's pitching to another customer (I don't have the exact lines in front of me):

Jerry: Yah, this comes fully loaded, all the options, AC, stereo, alarm, and it comes with a heck of a sealant...
Customer: Yah, but I don't need no sealant.
(So you know Jerry pulls the same BS with all the customers.)

IAnyway, we're waaaaay off topic here.  This hould probably get moved to a "Fargo" thread in the 90s section.  I could go on about "Fargo" all day, it's one of my top 10 favorite films of all time!

Ah, screw it, let's keep going.  ;)

It's funny, my parents are originally from North Dakota (they moved down to Nebraska 3 years before I was born), and maybe a couple months after "Fargo" came out my brother and a couple of our friends went up to Fargo, North Dakota to see a hockey game with some of our cousins.  After we got to our motel room and got settled in, I asked my cousins, "So, have you guys seen Fargo yet?" One of my cousins got really PISSED. He yelled out, "I hated that movie! WE DON'T F*CKING TALK LIKE THAT!!!"  Of course I just smiled and said, "Uh...yeah you do!" I then asked him, "Well, what about the woodchipper?" And he was like, "Woodchipper? What woodchipper?" Apparently he got so pissed off that he walked out of the theater about halfway through the movie.  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/23/07 at 9:25 pm

Ah, screw it, let's keep going.  ;)

It's funny, my parents are originally from North Dakota (they moved down to Nebraska 3 years before I was born), and maybe a couple months after "Fargo" came out my brother and a couple of our friends went up to Fargo, North Dakota to see a hockey game with some of our cousins.  After we got to our motel room and got settled in, I asked my cousins, "So, have you guys seen Fargo yet?" One of my cousins got really PISSED. He yelled out, "I hated that movie! WE DON'T F*CKING TALK LIKE THAT!!!"  Of course I just smiled and said, "Uh...yeah you do!" I then asked him, "Well, what about the woodchipper?" And he was like, "Woodchipper? What woodchipper?" Apparently he got so pissed off that he walked out of the theater about halfway through the movie.  ;D ;D ;D

Some people from Maine have the stereotyped Yankee "ayuh" accent.  Some don't at all.  Many are in between.  One time I was immitating the accent of some of the yokels I knew up in NH, and this guy says, "Nobody in New Hampshire talks like that."  I asked him where he'd been in NH, "Nashua," he said.  Sure, Nashua is right on the Massachusetts border.  I told him to take a trip up to Ossippee some time!

"The Shipping News" (Kevin Spacey, Judi Dench, Julianne Moore) did for Newfoundland what "Fargo" did for the upper midwest.  But, yeah, the "Fargo" accents were over-the-top.  The Cohen Brothers did that on purpose.  A few of the characters sounded more Canadian than Minnesotan, such as the state trooper Carl tries to bribe ("Put dat beck in yer pocket and step outta da kerr pliss")  Is "y'know" an expression up there?  Grimsrud always says "y'know." ("I'm hungry now, y'know."  "Shut the **** up or I'll t'row ya back into da trunk, y'know."  "Or your ****ing wife, y'know.")  On YouTube there was video compiling all the yahs in "Fargo."  I don't know if it's still there.  It's called "Fargo Yeah" or something.    You notice, though, only two scenes take place in North Dakota.  The first in Fargo (actually shot in Mpls) when Jerry delivers the car to the thugs, and then at the end outside of Bismark when the cops nab Jerry at the motel.  The rest is set in Minnesota.  The Cohen Brothers said they called it "Fargo" because they didn't think anybody would go see a movie called "Brainerd"!
;D
A few different murderers have tried to dispose of their victims with woodchippers.  Pretty dumb way to do it if you ask me!

Check for new replies or respond here...