» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Gay Female Runs for Prom King

Written By: jackas on 04/21/07 at 10:28 pm

Just wondering your thoughts on this.  Should she be allowed to run for Prom King or is this just ridiculous?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070421/ap_on_re_us/transgender_prom_king

Subject: Re: Gay Female Runs for Prom King

Written By: Red Ant on 04/21/07 at 10:43 pm

Funny, I don't oppose gay marriage or any other issues that transgender people face, but I find myself not supporting this one. I guess that is because I find this pretty silly.

Written By: shackled on 04/22/07 at 4:47 am

I hadn't seen this. Hmm...
It will cause some outrage for sure, especially if she wins.
Personally? I think she should just be happy as a lesbian.

It is kinda silly.  ::)

Written By: jackas on 04/22/07 at 5:10 am

It is kind of silly.  I don't understand why she just can't run for prom queen. 

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/22/07 at 9:19 am

It is kind of silly.  I don't understand why she just can't run for prom queen. 

Why would ANYONE want to run for prom queen or king? :P

Written By: La Roche on 04/22/07 at 10:00 am

Why would ANYONE want to run for prom queen or king? :P

I think that's the best point raised.

Who cares, the only folks who even give a S**t about that are the bottom dwelling dregs that I have nothing but contempt for.. and who I do and do not have contempt for is the most important list.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/22/07 at 11:00 am

She's not demanding to be Prom King, she just wants to run.  Big deal!  If the student body disagrees, they shouldn't vote for her.  They can elect the star quarterback and the cheerleader with the biggest breasts per usual. 

I was a social outcast at my high school.  I was with what you'd now call the Goths.  I was even too radical for them.  I saw that little Goth circle pulling similar stunts to what this chick is doing.  They wanted to go to the Prom in their Goth garb and freak everybody out.  The committee said no and, of course, they were protesting.  I told them if they really had contempt for conformity they wouldn't be trying to weasel into that lame rite of passage.  I mean, the whole thing was supposed to be a big F-U to the preps and the jcoks.  My point of view was the state required me to spend six hours a day in the same building with these suburban drones.  Why should I get gussied up and spend an evening promenading with them when I don't have to? 

"...and you find that you've organized your feelings for people who didn't like you then and do not like you now..."

--Morrissey

My advice to this young lesbian would be: "Fuggem.  Let them have their Sinclair Lewis prom.  Joke's on them in the end.  Go do something interesting that night instead."

However, we are social creatures, and the need to belong is instinctual, especially among teens, even the ones who make a big show of not belonging.

Written By: limblifter on 04/22/07 at 12:01 pm

She was nominated by her classmates, so I think she should be allowed. It's the kids' night, it's only fitting that they decide.

Written By: Haynsoul on 04/22/07 at 2:06 pm

Now everyone nominate the gay guy as prom queen.  :D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/22/07 at 2:12 pm

Can anyone say

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/attention-whore.jpg

?

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/22/07 at 3:32 pm

Just wondering your thoughts on this.  Should she be allowed to run for Prom King or is this just ridiculous?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070421/ap_on_re_us/transgender_prom_king

Why would a woman run for the position of "King" ?

The last I knew, being a gay woman did not make one a "man" any more than being a gay man makes one a "woman".

Kings are men and Queens are women.  Unless there is now a movement afoot to redefine those words.

Now, if the woman in question has already undergone a full blown transsexual operation and is now a man, then what the heck.  Let HIM run for King.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/22/07 at 4:01 pm

Kings are men and Queens are women. 

Well...not always

http://www.80smusiclyrics.com/images/queen_50.jpg

or

http://miniaturemuseum.org/FlingDragQueens.jpg

Written By: jackas on 04/22/07 at 5:30 pm

Why would a woman run for the position of "King" ?

The last I knew, being a gay woman did not make one a "man" any more than being a gay man makes one a "woman".

Kings are men and Queens are women.  Unless there is now a movement afoot to redefine those words.

Now, if the woman in question has already undergone a full blown transsexual operation and is now a man, then what the heck.  Let HIM run for King.

This is basically my take on it too.  She doesn't have to be in a dress to be prom queen and she isn't technically a man so prom king is out.  Either way, she is not going to fit into the "norm" so I guess it really doesn't matter.  Hmmm....a butch queen or a king with a vagina...lets weigh the weirdness. :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/23/07 at 12:02 pm

I don't have a problem with it.  Sure, it's weird, but if the kids nominated her, let them vote for her.  I don't see what the big deal is about it.  It's just a prom.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/23/07 at 3:04 pm

If she wants to be nominated (or is nominated) , and wants to run for Prom King, I say go for it, and best of luck!

Written By: whistledog on 04/23/07 at 3:10 pm

Reminds me of 'Saved By the Bell' when Screech ran to be the next Ms. Bayside, and won!  If Screech can do it, anyone can! :)

Written By: annonymouse on 04/23/07 at 3:23 pm

that's absolutly rediculous. good for her if she's gay, but she's not guy, and therefor does not qualify as prom king. i don't care if she's queen, but why king? that's stupid!

Written By: spaceace on 04/23/07 at 8:10 pm

Oh heck, she's probably got more testosterone than most men.  I'm not going to knock her for doing it. ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 04/24/07 at 5:41 pm

Oh heck, she's probably got more testosterone than most men.  I'm not going to knock her for doing it. ;D

Obviously has more balls on Sunday morning than most men have on Saturday night    ;D

Written By: spaceace on 04/24/07 at 6:34 pm

Obviously has more balls on Sunday morning than most me have on Saturday night    ;D

Yep. :)

Written By: tv on 04/26/07 at 3:51 pm

I don;t have a problem with her runnning for prom king since she considers herself transgender.

Check for new replies or respond here...