» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Americans Support/Don't Support Timelines

Written By: lterhune on 05/02/07 at 11:52 pm

The Majority of Americans say Democrats should allow funding with no timetable. CBS News/New York Times survey reports 56% of Americans say, even if President Bush vetoes the Democratic spending bill, then Congress should still allow funding even if there is no timetable for withdrawal (4/20-24).

Americans want compromise, no timeline. Pew Research reports only 32% of Americans want the Democrats to hold out and insist on a timeline for withdrawal, while a plurality (39%) want the President and Democratic members of Congress to work toward a compromise. 57% are against insisting on a timeline (4/18-22).

Voters oppose handcuffing military commanders and loading defense bill with pork spending, (apparently the democrats have had to buy a lot of votes to get the bill they passed passed). 54% of American voters oppose the Democrats "imposing a reduction in troops" below the levels military commanders requested. Also, 64% oppose the Democrats "attaching spending for non-defense, domestic projects to a defense bill" (Public Opinion Strategies, 3/25-27).

Apparently America didn't say what the democrat leaders say they said! Thank Goodness for Vetos!

Subject: Re: Americans Support/Don't Support Timelines

Written By: spaceace on 05/03/07 at 9:31 am

I went to the Pew Research Report website.  It looks like a research team that caters to Conservative Think Tanks.  Needless to say I put very little faith in that kind of pigeonholed research.  Of course this is my own opinion.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/03/07 at 10:01 am

Yup, Pew is about the same caliber of "news" as newsmax.com ::)

I know, let's keep the troops over there forever....keep funnelling money....get our troops killed....tell the Iraqis that want us out of there "FU!  We're here to stay!!"

Written By: lterhune on 05/03/07 at 12:56 pm

I went to the Pew Research Report website.  It looks like a research team that caters to Conservative Think Tanks.  Needless to say I put very little faith in that kind of pigeonholed research.  Of course this is my own opinion.

Hmm.. I don't see it that way. You failed to mention the polls from CBS News/New York Times - that's curious!

Written By: lterhune on 05/03/07 at 1:06 pm

I know, let's keep the troops over there forever....keep funnelling money....get our troops killed....tell the Iraqis that want us out of there "FU!  We're here to stay!!"

“Let’s keep the troops over there Forever” – wow, how dramatic!  FYI there are troops from the ‘mini divisional wars’ that Clinton sent who are still deployed. In any case, Iraqis are our allies & their president asked us to stay, (and he is cooperating a great deal more and it’s showing (although that sucks for you)) – we can’t just leave them and allow Syria and Iran to take over in the region. That would be horrible for our country and for Israel etc. But as long as the left whines about it – trying to fulfill their desire to lose and retreat and let Obama’s wishes come true – it’s all good; it gets the left votes.

Harry Reid said it well when he told us we already lost, (great for troop support by the way), and then added that his announcement would get them more demoncrat seats in the senate next election. See, the demoncrat leaders don’t really care at all about our troops or the war on terror etc., they just want to make statements, (hurtful or not) just to get elected and win.

Written By: spaceace on 05/03/07 at 2:18 pm

HM.. I don't see it that way. You failed to mention the polls from CBS News/New York Times - that's curious!

I read ever poll I can.  I talk to as many people as I can about a subject.  Did I state an opinion on the war? No I did not because I am still researching it.  My cousin has just come back after 2 tours in Iraq.  She is now a peace activist.  I am joining the PA Army National Guard and will probably have to do a tour over there.  Not because I like the ideal of war, I like the military.  So, why haven't you offered your services to your country?  Not everything is black and white like you claim it is.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/03/07 at 4:55 pm

Well, do they support "benchmarks"?
:D

What's in a name?  What's in a poll? 

What if I'm outside the "majority"?  Should I change my mind because the majority's opinion must be right?  Or should I continue to adhere to what I believe is right and not give a flying fruitbat it the majority disagrees?

There wasn't so much talk about "the majority" when it came to Clinton's continued popularity during his impeachment.  Certainly, the "majority" was scorned by the Right when it came to Al Gore winning the popular vote.  I know, I know, the electoral college, you don't have to explain!

I guess if you want to talk polls, go here and look at the approves/disapproves for Dubyas performance:
http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm

The longer we stay in Iraq, the more Americans die in an unwinnable war, but cheer up grieving mom-and-dad, the American public is OK with your son dying over there!

Written By: limblifter on 05/03/07 at 5:24 pm

[color=green
Harry Reid said it well when he told us we already lost, (great for troop support by the way
)

Please. The troops aren't stupid. They know that this so called "war" is unwinnable. And there is no amount of yellow ribbons that you can tie to your antenna, or "I support our troops" bumper stickers that is going to change that.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/03/07 at 5:27 pm

Please. The troops aren't stupid. They know that this so called "war" is unwinnable. And there is no amount of yellow ribbons that you can tie to your antenna, or "I support our troops" bumper stickers that is going to change that.

Karma to you, sir.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/03/07 at 5:47 pm

And Karma +1 from me too!  Just don't tell Ted "The Nuge" Nugent that.

The Nuge was on Hannity and Colmes last night repeating the old line about how war critics are bringing down the morale of the troops.  He also launched into a tirade in re: Rage Against the Machine about how "... The beauty about freedom of speech is it entices people and it encourages people to say what they think. And, obviously, I've been surrounded and been watching dopey, hippy rock 'n' roll numb nuts..."
...then his screen went black.  Perhaps it was the ghost of Johnny Cash saying "That'll be enough of that there, son!"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,269842,00.html

Actually, the whole thing was funny enough to link right to FNC!

I don't quite agree with Ann Coulter here, I never thought of RATM as "losers."  I just thought they were no-talent blowhards.  The Dixie Chicks they are not. 

Has anybody checked in with Flock of Seagulls to see what their position is on Bush?

It was a peculiar sensation to hear Ann Coulter mention my favorite band from 1983, but you could indeed ask Mike Score what he thinks about Bush's position in Iraq.  He lives in Cocoa Beach, FL.  He might even be listed!
;D
Maybe FOX could get Mike Score and Terri Nunn to debate the issues of the day....

Written By: lterhune on 05/03/07 at 5:55 pm

I read ever poll I can.  I talk to as many people as I can about a subject.  Did I state an opinion on the war? No I did not because I am still researching it.  My cousin has just come back after 2 tours in Iraq.  She is now a peace activist.   I am joining the PA Army National Guard and will probably have to do a tour over there.  Not because I like the ideal of war, I like the military.  So, why haven't you offered your services to your country?  Not everything is black and white like you claim it is.

I have already served hun.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/03/07 at 6:01 pm

You served with the Huns?
???

Written By: lterhune on 05/03/07 at 6:11 pm

What's in a name?  What's in a poll? 

Seemingly polls mean everything when they support your point & nothing when they do not. The left wing leaders, (so to speak), are telling us that the "American people have spoken" (what a bunch of hooey) - but apparently, they didn't hear the clear message from Americans, that's my point (and the fact that they are opportunist & liars)

What if I'm outside the "majority"? 

uh.. then you are inside the minority - is that a trick question?

Should I change my mind because the majority's opinion must be right?
Or should I continue to adhere to what I believe is right and not give a flying fruitbat it the majority disagrees? 

I think you should believe what ever your herders tell you to believe or what ever you wish to.... But no, IMHO, I think you should not adhere to what the majority feels if it is not what is in your gut/heart, feel what you believe... JUST LIKE BUSH does huh?

The longer we stay in Iraq, the more Americans die in an unwinnable war, but cheer up grieving mom-and-dad, the American public is OK with your son dying over there!

Yeah yeah yeah & the danger of leaving is not big deal and the danger to Iraqis is not big deal and the growth of the radical extremists in that region  is not big deal. And hurting our own allies, no big deal.... You don't know it is unwinnable, but for now it is dangerous to leave and progress has been showing all thoughout this mess...

And to your "cheer up grieving mom-and ..... blah blah blah; sarcasm is not your strong suit.

Here's a good poll place, since you love handing out links to show me all the time;

www.vote.com - vote! Your votes go directly to those who need to hear it the most....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/03/07 at 6:37 pm

I think you should believe what ever your herders tell you to believe or what ever you wish to.... But no, IMHO, I think you should not adhere to what the majority feels if it is not what is in your gut/heart, feel what you believe... JUST LIKE BUSH does huh?

Not gut.  Mind.

Yeah yeah yeah & the danger of leaving is not big deal and the danger to Iraqis is not big deal and the growth of the radical extremists in that region  is not big deal. And hurting our own allies, no big deal.... You don't know it is unwinnable, but for now it is dangerous to leave and progress has been showing all thoughout this mess...

It is unwinnable.  You cannot win by occupying a land of ancient cultures where you are not wanted.  George Orwell illustrates this in "Shooting an Elephant." 
Anyway, it's not about winning.  It's about Halliburton and Blackwater.  It's about the transfer of public resources into private hands.  This war is a giant fleecing.  These cynics don't really care about the Iraqi people, establishing democracy, achieving victory, or anything like that.  It's all about greed.

Written By: Tia on 05/03/07 at 8:26 pm

“Let’s keep the troops over there Forever” – wow, how dramatic!  FYI there are troops from the ‘mini divisional wars’ that Clinton sent who are still deployed.
lol. are they dying at a rate of two or three a day from car bombs?

see, this sort of disingenuous argument is why the repubs are polling in the twenties. even though they have all the cable news channels locked in, even with all that propaganda that's the best they can muster.

Written By: lterhune on 05/03/07 at 9:36 pm

Not gut.  Mind.

It really tickles me to read/hear those who think the majority of people are morons and they are true intellects! Oh goodness! 

It is unwinnable.  You cannot win by occupying a land of ancient cultures where you are not wanted.  George Orwell illustrates this in "Shooting an Elephant." 
Anyway, it's not about winning.  It's about Halliburton and Blackwater.  It's about the transfer of public resources into private hands.  This war is a giant fleecing.  These cynics don't really care about the Iraqi people, establishing democracy, achieving victory, or anything like that.  It's all about greed.

Pardon me for this; but you have really been led and fed!

Most people aren't going to seek out detailed information on policy issues no matter how much is available, because for most of us, knowing 100 times as much about an issue doesn't make us appreciably more influential about it.  So we tend to form our opinions ramshackle out of facts (and "facts" that happen to be lying around. As far as I can tell, people tend to know about as much as they did in the past, and they aren't likely to learn much more. 

Written By: lterhune on 05/03/07 at 9:38 pm

..... even with all that propaganda that's the best they can muster.

I don't know how credible it is for you to speak about "mustering all that propaganda"  .really.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/03/07 at 9:49 pm

It is unwinnable.  You cannot win by occupying a land of ancient cultures where you are not wanted.

Serious question for a moment.  Any Republican who even hinted at sentiments like "you cannot change an ancient culture" that you've cited above, he'd have been flamed into ashes by the left, for saying "Them ay-rabs is jest a buncha primitive tribal butchers, barely human, and should be left to wallow in they's own filth."

The Reaganesque sort of of optimism that "Them Ay-rabs" (much like them Commies) probably were just regular guys, and would do OK if given a shot at freedom, and that all we had to do is topple the first domino, was a notion held almost exclusively by those on the right.

It's not so much Orwell and Shooting an Elephant, it's more like Rudyard Kipling and White Man's Burden. 

Inasmuch as the left would have flamed a Republican saying something like that in 2003, they'd have crucified one of their own echoing that sentiment, which is why we never heard that argument.

The second-saddest thing about Iraq War II is that it looks Rudyard Kipling was right.  Trying to fix the Middle East is more trouble than it's worth. 

Well, sure -- and that was my second reason for my initial support for the war.  Not just the fun of seeing the entire Middle East turn into "Vegas on the Arabian Penninsula" place like Qatar, but the money that could be made - both in building a few zillion skyscrapers, but in the profits that could be made by drilling/exploration/oil-services companies as them Ay-rabs paid us a few billion to apply modern technology and drilling techniques to get a few tens of billions of dollars (as in, a damn hefty rate of return) out of their underexploited oil fields, even at $20-30/barrel.  That woulda rocked!  American taxpayers invest $100B in a war that unleashes the economies of the area to produce $1T of wealth, maybe 10% of which would have been returned to the treasury in the form of taxes imposed on US companies involved in the reconstruction.  Net cost to the taxpayer is zero, net return to the military-industrial complex is $100B in "free" money, and the fact that the standard of living rises for 100 million people... is just a side effect, but it's a nice side effect.

Problem is, you can't invest in oil wells and pipelines, (nor even the sort of educational system required to raise a generation of engineers) without a robust free-market economy.  So - back to the original line of reasoning, namely that if freedom is a universal human value, then them ay-rabs are people just like us, and their only problem is that their governments kinda suck... the best way to increase freedom and prosperity in that part of the world would be to kick over the first domino.

Which brings me, in a roundabout way, to the saddest thing about Iraq War II.  It looks like Kipling wasn't the only one who was right -- the rednecks who misread his poetry were also right.  They's really not like us.  They're not interested in prosperity, just in perpetuating an argument over which guy was the rightful heir of their religion -- and judging from where the car bombs are going off, they're more interested in killing each other over that than in killing us for invading their country.  Who knew? :)

The only rational option is to pull out, watch the ensuing genocide from a safe distance, and decide at that time whether or not to work with (or finish off!) whoever wins.

Finish off?  Yeah, I sometimes wonder what would have happened if the US and Britain had gone ahead with their 1945-6 plans to finish off Stalin while the USSR was still reeling from its WW2 losses.  We chose not to "finish off" the Russians because the West's voters were, after 6 years of food and fuel rationing, sick and tired of the friggin war, even if we'd just won the damn thing.  And it's usually a better economic bet to deal with the survivor than wipe him out; Stalin was evil, but at least he was sane.  I'm not convinced the winner of the "Iraqi" (Saudi Arabia-vs-Iran, using their respective religions as proxy armies, and Iraq as the battleground) civil war will be as easy to deal with.

Meh.  Dust off, nuke the site from orbit.  The Indians have a lot of good biotech engineers in the pipeline (more so than America is likely to for at least a generation), and a few gigatons' worth of fallout would give 'em just the impetus they'd need to develop a cure for cander :)

Written By: Tia on 05/03/07 at 10:42 pm

I don't know how credible it is for you to speak about "mustering all that propaganda"  .really.

i'm just one guy. there's only so much propaganda i can muster.

Written By: spaceace on 05/03/07 at 10:59 pm

May I be so bold as to ask where and when.  Not only that why you came back "normal"?  If I would call you normal.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/04/07 at 12:56 am

“Let’s keep the troops over there Forever” – wow, how dramatic!  FYI there are troops from the ‘mini divisional wars’ that Clinton sent who are still deployed. In any case, Iraqis are our allies & their president asked us to stay, (and he is cooperating a great deal more and it’s showing (although that sucks for you)) – we can’t just leave them and allow Syria and Iran to take over in the region. That would be horrible for our country and for Israel etc. But as long as the left whines about it – trying to fulfill their desire to lose and retreat and let Obama’s wishes come true – it’s all good; it gets the left votes.

Harry Reid said it well when he told us we already lost, (great for troop support by the way), and then added that his announcement would get them more demoncrat seats in the senate next election. See, the demoncrat leaders don’t really care at all about our troops or the war on terror etc., they just want to make statements, (hurtful or not) just to get elected and win.

About as dramatic as posting a bunch of figures that have been skewed to prove a point (which is about all you'll EVER get off of a biased website) or putting an "n" in democrat ::)

You might want to tell the Iraqis that are still fighting our troops and endangering their lives that they're supposed to be our allies.  It breaks my heart to see and hear about families losing loved ones because they have been killed by one of our "allies."

If it's only Democrats (see, no "n") that are making the statements, why are even some of the Repubicans turning on Dubya now?  Saying that they need to see "significant progress" or they're going to basically switch sides.
Seemingly polls mean everything when they support your point & nothing when they do not. The left wing leaders, (so to speak), are telling us that the "American people have spoken" (what a bunch of hooey) - but apparently, they didn't hear the clear message from Americans, that's my point (and the fact that they are opportunist & liars)

and again, I say "you need to tell those Iraqi insurgents that we're their allies"

Bush doesn't do what's in his heart, he does what's good for his wallet.....
Yeah yeah yeah & the danger of leaving is not big deal and the danger to Iraqis is not big deal and the growth of the radical extremists in that region  is not big deal. And hurting our own allies, no big deal.... You don't know it is unwinnable, but for now it is dangerous to leave and progress has been showing all thoughout this mess... yeah, so much "progress" even Repubicans are threatening to jump ship.....

And to your "cheer up grieving mom-and ..... blah blah blah; sarcasm is not your strong suit Not yours either, hun.

Your votes go directly to those who need to hear it the most....

And we're supposed to "vote" on a obviously biased Repubican website why?  I prefer to support the troops directly......

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/04/07 at 1:01 am

It really tickles me to read/hear those who think the majority of people are morons and they are true intellects! Oh goodness! 
You must really be rolling reading your own posts, then....and before you say it, I have not ONCE said that I think I'm smarter than anyone else on here, nor have I posted my "IQ" or other "proofs of intelligence" like some people have in order to try and help my futile argument.....

Pardon me for this; but you have really been led and fed!

Most people aren't going to seek out detailed information on policy issues no matter how much is available, because for most of us, knowing 100 times as much about an issue doesn't make us appreciably more influential about it.  So we tend to form our opinions ramshackle out of facts (and "facts" that happen to be lying around. As far as I can tell, people tend to know about as much as they did in the past, and they aren't likely to learn much more. 

Oh, and I get my "facts" from a variety of sources, most of them "party neutral" unlike newsmax, pew, and the like....and no, I've never even been to moveon.org....at least he doesn't post drivel from obviously biased sources.....

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/04/07 at 1:02 am

funny, I feel like we've had many of these same arguments before with someone else who had a penchant for posting in a certain color all the time (though I believe it used to be blue) ???  I'm just waiting for different fonts to start showing up and a hissy fit over a certain eatery....

Anyone else feel that way too?

Written By: lterhune on 05/04/07 at 3:26 pm

i'm just one guy. there's only so much propaganda i can muster.

you do very very well, even though you are a guy.

Written By: lterhune on 05/04/07 at 3:29 pm

May I be so bold as to ask where and when.  Not only that why you came back "normal"?  If I would call you normal.

Goodness, are you always such an antagonistic fart? 

Anyway, I served in the 80’s, all over the place, in the Navy… (And I answered even though you wrote that you were not interested, as you said in the previous thread - see how nice I am?).

Written By: Tia on 05/04/07 at 3:32 pm

you do very very well, even though you are a guy.

well, thanks, i do try and i... uh...

hey!

Written By: lterhune on 05/04/07 at 4:00 pm

About as dramatic as posting a bunch of figures that have been skewed to prove a point (which is about all you'll EVER get off of a biased website) or putting an "n" in democrat ::)

I didn’t get those facts from a biased website hun, didn’t you see the sources? They were LIBERAL BIASED sources… I know this is tough, but truth hurts sometimes!   

You might want to tell the Iraqis that are still fighting our troops and endangering their lives that they're supposed to be our allies.

Again with your weak sarcasm! The president of Iraq has really been stepping it up, which is disappointing to you I know. But he wants us there, Iraq and their government are our allies, even if it hurts your case!

It breaks my heart to see and hear about families losing loved ones because they have been killed by one of our "allies."

They are NOT being killed by our allies, (WOW)!  Why do you write this way? It is so unbecoming it puzzles me!

If it's only Democrats (see, no "n") that are making the statements, why are even some of the Repubicans turning on Dubya now?

Republicans, (see, an “L”) are against a date for withdrawal. The reason it even passed that way is because the demoncrats put so much pork in it, kissed asses all over the place. But as for the country and the Republicans, they are not for the cut-and-run (and dangerous) withdrawal crap! 

Saying that they need to see "significant progress" or they're going to basically switch sides.

Uh oh, a Fib! They are NOT for running - they KNOW the dangers. For that matter, so do the demoncrats! The big difference, like Reid said, they are playing for more votes in the next election & really need to lose the war to win!

and again, I say "you need to tell those Iraqi insurgents that we're their allies"

That is ridiculous; obviously you are not that knowledgeable about the meaning of the word “insurgent”

Bush doesn't do what's in his heart, he does what's good for his wallet.....

A. You don’t know what is in his heart … B. That’s again, juvenile and ridiculous!

Not yours either, hun. And we're supposed to "vote" on a obviously biased Repubican website why?  I prefer to support the troops directly......

Don’t contribute then, it's your option!. There are only poll questions there, there are not suggestions on how you should vote! If you do not like the results, vote yourself to help change them… but don’t whine about it.  As for supporting our troops directly, how do you do that? By telling them we are losing the war and we want to cut off funding to them? Ahhhhh, feel the love!

Written By: spaceace on 05/04/07 at 4:01 pm

Goodness, are you always such an antagonistic fart? 

Anyway, I served in the 80’s, all over the place, in the Navy… (And I answered even though you wrote that you were not interested, as you said in the previous thread - see how nice I am?).

Yeah well I get that from my dear old Dad.

Navy, eh?  I think you sold yourself short.  Wonder if Special Forces takes woman.

Written By: lterhune on 05/04/07 at 5:26 pm

Yeah well I get that from my dear old Dad.

Navy, eh?  I think you sold yourself short.  Wonder if Special Forces takes woman.

Tell your dear old dad thank you for me!

Navy, yes; they gave the better deal then

Written By: spaceace on 05/04/07 at 5:42 pm

Tell your dear old dad thank you for me!

Navy, yes; they gave the better deal then

Dad's a Conservative Republican.

A better deal?  Is that like going to Bahrain for duty instead of Bagdad?

I thought military pay was the same for all branches.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/07 at 6:33 pm

Serious question for a moment.  Any Republican who even hinted at sentiments like "you cannot change an ancient culture" that you've cited above, he'd have been flamed into ashes by the left, for saying "Them ay-rabs is jest a buncha primitive tribal butchers, barely human, and should be left to wallow in they's own filth."

And rightly so if a Republican said that.  I didn't say anything of the sort.  This is not war.  This is imperial occupation.  Just as the British, the French, the Spanish, and the Portuguese did in centuries past, we are half way around the world to extract the resources from other lands and cultures by force.  I am neither exalting nor denigrating these "ancient cultures."  Empires fall because they serve to enrich the few at the expense of the many both at home and in the conquered lands.  In the 1870s, when the sun never set on the British empire, the life expectancy of a working class male in Liverpool was 20 years.  As Kevin Phillips points out, all the great European empires ran up unmanageable debt until they collapsed under their own weight.  That is happening now to the United States.  Iraq is a great drain on human life and the common weal and a great boon for a few rich dudes.  

The Reaganesque sort of of optimism that "Them Ay-rabs" (much like them Commies) probably were just regular guys, and would do OK if given a shot at freedom, and that all we had to do is topple the first domino, was a notion held almost exclusively by those on the right.
1. Reagan was no optimist.  He was a cynic.   He stated on several occasions we were living in Biblical endtimes, so lets fleece the world and get rich.
2. Reagan did not believe in freedom.  Not for the people of the world.  He believed in the "freedom" for corporations to loot the wealth of the world from the people.  As a direct result of Reaganomics, the average American is less free today than he was 30 years ago.

It's not so much Orwell and Shooting an Elephant, it's more like Rudyard Kipling and White Man's Burden. 
Two sides of the same coin.  Some have called Orwell a racist.  Of course they have.  He is a dead white male who wrote books.  That's the university Women's Studies mentality.  Orwell was really saying this "white man's burden" was unbearable and he saw at the age of 20 in Burma that Britain had both a practical and a moral obligation to cede the empire back to the people the Brits had conquered in the previous two centuries.  Orwell died less than two years after the liberation of India.  As a police officer in Burma, Orwell (known to mum and dad as Eric Blair) couldn't stand the Buddhist priests hanging around and laughing at him, but he knew why it was happening.  

Well, sure -- and that was my second reason for my initial support for the war.  Not just the fun of seeing the entire Middle East turn into "Vegas on the Arabian Penninsula" place like Qatar, but the money that could be made - both in building a few zillion skyscrapers, but in the profits that could be made by drilling/exploration/oil-services companies as them Ay-rabs paid us a few billion to apply modern technology and drilling techniques to get a few tens of billions of dollars (as in, a damn hefty rate of return) out of their underexploited oil fields, even at $20-30/barrel.  That woulda rocked!  American taxpayers invest $100B in a war that unleashes the economies of the area to produce $1T of wealth, maybe 10% of which would have been returned to the treasury in the form of taxes imposed on US companies involved in the reconstruction.  Net cost to the taxpayer is zero, net return to the military-industrial complex is $100B in "free" money, and the fact that the standard of living rises for 100 million people... is just a side effect, but it's a nice side effect.
I believe they are building skyscrapers in Qatar and the U.A.E. because the supreme cynics of the Dick Cheney order are going to flee to these fortified city-states in undemocratic nations.  The U.S. will not be safe for them in another 20 years, not with the way they are grinding down the middle class and creating more inequality and poverty than we have seen since the Great Depression.  The U.S. still appears to be a rich country, but we are like spoiled trust fund kids squatting in a foreclosed mansion.  

You know, when a conservative says "the cost to the U.S. taxpayer will be zero," you can be sure they're about to pick your pockets again.  The Iraq war was sold as a kind of six-month venture in which we would be greeted with flowers and candy and the oil revenues would cover all war costs...and then some.  I don't doubt they're going to try for "Vegas on the Arabian Penninsula," but that scheme you describe sounds completely cockamamie.  It's like something I'd get in my spam email box.  No, the American tax payer will fund it all, and the robber barons will horde all the loot and kick us in the head when we inquire about our share!

Again, this is about empire, no democracy, and certainly nothing to do with raising the standards of living for poor folks here or abroad.  And there is no such thing as "free money."

Problem is, you can't invest in oil wells and pipelines, (nor even the sort of educational system required to raise a generation of engineers) without a robust free-market economy.  So - back to the original line of reasoning, namely that if freedom is a universal human value, then them ay-rabs are people just like us, and their only problem is that their governments kinda suck... the best way to increase freedom and prosperity in that part of the world would be to kick over the first domino.

Sir, I don't know how cynical one man can be, but you seem to be pushing the envelope!
::)

Which brings me, in a roundabout way, to the saddest thing about Iraq War II.  It looks like Kipling wasn't the only one who was right -- the rednecks who misread his poetry were also right.  They's really not like us.  They're not interested in prosperity, just in perpetuating an argument over which guy was the rightful heir of their religion -- and judging from where the car bombs are going off, they're more interested in killing each other over that than in killing us for invading their country.  Who knew? :)
A lot of folks knew.  It's not politically correct to say so, but while Western imperialism did exacerbate ethnic/religous conflicts around the world, it is not as though these cultures lived in peace and harmony before the Europeans came to town.  It's the human condition.  The liberal democracies born out of two world wars of unprecedented death and destruction are the exception to the rule. This goes to my original point about our hostile presence in Iraq being no help.

The only rational option is to pull out, watch the ensuing genocide from a safe distance, and decide at that time whether or not to work with (or finish off!) whoever wins.
As above.  Nobody here was a fan of Saddam.  However, what Saddam did in Iraq was similar to what Marshal Tito did in Yugoslavia.  Nasty and brutish, but not chaos.

Finish off?  Yeah, I sometimes wonder what would have happened if the US and Britain had gone ahead with their 1945-6 plans to finish off Stalin while the USSR was still reeling from its WW2 losses.  We chose not to "finish off" the Russians because the West's voters were, after 6 years of food and fuel rationing, sick and tired of the friggin war, even if we'd just won the damn thing.  And it's usually a better economic bet to deal with the survivor than wipe him out; Stalin was evil, but at least he was sane.  I'm not convinced the winner of the "Iraqi" (Saudi Arabia-vs-Iran, using their respective religions as proxy armies, and Iraq as the battleground) civil war will be as easy to deal with.
If we had tried to "finish off" the Soviet Union starting in 1946, we would have squandered our treasury in what?  An endless occupation.  The very proposition is prespammersite.  American/British occupation of Russia would certainly have touched off World War IV by 1950.  Stalin's paranoia was driving him pretty batty by the end.  

I always say who ever emerges as the strongman to unite Iraq will be much bloodier and more brutal than Saddam.  He will have to be.

Meh.  Dust off, nuke the site from orbit.  The Indians have a lot of good biotech engineers in the pipeline (more so than America is likely to for at least a generation), and a few gigatons' worth of fallout would give 'em just the impetus they'd need to develop a cure for cander :)

OK, OK, you're having a joke here.  A cure for candor?
:P

Written By: Tia on 05/04/07 at 6:49 pm

well, the american brand of conspicuous consumption -- constantly laboring and spending to accumulate enormous amounts of pretty much worthless stuff like suvs and mcmansions -- that is not a universal blueprint for happiness. much of the world actually detests the idea of living their life that way. i certainly do. but i notice a lot of the folks who DO want to live this way just assume that everyone else must want it, too. i always thought that was a curious phenomenon.

this is in no way an endorsement of islamic radicalism, just saying there's more ways to live fruitful, productive lives than the bigger-is-always-better conservative american model.

Written By: lterhune on 05/04/07 at 7:53 pm

Dad's a Conservative Republican.

So, he's at least a very smart man.

He should be smarter still and kick your butt for being such a smartass 

A better deal?   Is that like going to Bahrain for duty instead of Bagdad?

I thought military pay was the same for all branches.

The deal wasn't exactly a money thing, it was more what I was offered for job/location etc.
Okay, I was young then and really thought it would be a lot more cool to go to Orlando for boot camp. Orlando was the only place that women could go in the Navy for boot camp, (if I were male I would have gone to San Diego & of course, being from So Cal, I'd been there!) My dad was in the army though - so I could have done that, but I was a bit more rebellious than to join the army! ..and now you know!

Written By: lterhune on 05/04/07 at 7:58 pm

Does anyone know how many civilians were killed when we pulled out of Nam? Does anyone care about what would happen to those in Iraq if we cut-and-run? This question is not about how we got there or how many people saddam slaughtered or wmd etc., it's just as it reads. (If your political stance or love of party is so strong as to justify the probable slaughtering of Iraqis when we leave, don't bother replying to this question). One star on TV answered that by saying we should be MORE CONCERNED WITH OUR ECONOMIC WELFARE and I almost lost my cookies.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/07 at 9:10 pm

Does anyone know how many civilians were killed when we pulled out of Nam? Does anyone care about what would happen to those in Iraq if we cut-and-run? This question is not about how we got there or how many people saddam slaughtered or wmd etc., it's just as it reads. (If your political stance or love of party is so strong as to justify the probable slaughtering of Iraqis when we leave, don't bother replying to this question). One star on TV answered that by saying we should be MORE CONCERNED WITH OUR ECONOMIC WELFARE and I almost lost my cookies.

Estimates range from 1.5 to 3 million civilians if you include the Khmer Rouge "killing fields."

Our military "pulled out," our government did not.  Pol Pot, as evil a man as ever walked the face of the Earth, fought a guerilla war agains the CIA-installed puppet government of Lon Nol.  The Cambodian leader Prince Norodom Sihanouk (also a target of the guerilla forces) was neutral in the Cold War and wanted Cambodia out of the Vietnam conflict.  The U.S. wanted to use Cambodia as a base from which to attack Vietnamese "liberation" (aka communist) forces, hence the ouster of Sihanouk and the installation of the more agreeable former prime minister Lon Nol.  Civl war ensued in 1970 between Lon Nol supporters and supporters of the exiled prince.  This weakned the country and allowed for the advancement of Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge, which increased in strength in the chaotic war-torn country, and then seized control in 1975.  You know the rest.

Sihanouk fought for independence from French Indochina in the 1950s.  We got into Indochina in the late '50s to help our imperialist allies.  Thus, the CIA had no problem deposing Sihanouk.  But...what if they'd left well enough alone?  Perhaps there would have been no Pol Pot after we pulled out of Vietnam.

The U.S. government's imperialist interests have driven policy in Iraq for over a generation.  We see where this kind of meddling leads.  The longer we stay in, the worse it will be when we get out. 

What will happen to a U.S. backed puppet government in Iraq?  Will its opposition just sit down, shut up, and take it?  Not if history has anything to teach.

Those of you who like to say we could have "won" Vietnam if we had just stuck it out for X-number of years have not presented me with compelling evidence.  You want to blame it on the Dems, the peace movement, Jane Fonda, John Kerry, or whatever.  Nonsense.  There is a reason why coverage in Iraq is so horribly suppressed (more suppressed than a "free press" should tolerate for a second--but it does and our press is no longer free).  Night after night American soldiers were shown turned into hamburger on the nightly news, and the American public began to ask "for what?"  I don't know the ratio, but for every American soldier killed there were many more Vietnamese soldiers and civilians killed.  And yet forty years later you believe Americans should have toughened up and put more faith in a failed war and more cannon fodder on the ground from the draft pool.  I don't find this at all a reasonable idea.

The GOP is banging the drum about this "remember when we pulled out of Vietnam" because they are gearing up to do the same BS they did in the '70s.  Blame the Democrats, blame the liberals, blame the protesters, and blame Hollywood for an atrocious failure of imperial aggression.

Come on.  We can't knuckle under to some cheap blackmail about what will happen if we don't keep pushing the neocons' blunders.  To suggest there is one dram of humanitarian concern to go around among all that bloody PNAC/oil cartel crew is an insult to everybody's intelligence!!!

Written By: lterhune on 05/04/07 at 10:56 pm

So what you are saying is you can't answer that and insted wish to bash the right... I thought I had mentioned I was not interested in that just the answer to the sincere question; like I said in a previous post, you have problems doing that - huh?

Pulling out is a bad mistake & it is motivated by the leaders in the demoncrat party wishing to gain votes and increase the senate majority.. ask Reid, he said so himself!

(not to mention, Osama waiting for the US to pull out and hoping it is soon.. they said as much too)

Written By: spaceace on 05/05/07 at 10:32 am

So, he's at least a very smart man.

He should be smarter still and kick your butt for being such a smartass 

The deal wasn't exactly a money thing, it was more what I was offered for job/location etc.
Okay, I was young then and really thought it would be a lot more cool to go to Orlando for boot camp. Orlando was the only place that women could go in the Navy for boot camp, (if I were male I would have gone to San Diego & of course, being from So Cal, I'd been there!) My dad was in the army though - so I could have done that, but I was a bit more rebellious than to join the army! ..and now you know!

nah, he likes the fact that I'm a smart-ass.  We never agree on anything.

My friend was a medic in the Navy during the 80's.  She told me it was the only branch of service where she would have felt comfortable.

So, your Dad wanted you to join the Army? 

My Dad's worried that I'll actually like carrying a gun. ::)

Written By: lterhune on 05/06/07 at 9:57 pm

nah, he likes the fact that I'm a smart-ass.  We never agree on anything.

Hmm. So if you don't agree on anything & he likes the fact you are a smart ass; then you really don't like the fact you are a smart ass - so don't be - keep with tradition!

My friend was a medic in the Navy during the 80's.  She told me it was the only branch of service where she would have felt comfortable.

True too. Army seems guy-ish, Marines had this "jar head" rep & Air Force, (when I was young), I really thought was for people who really wanted to fly! 

So, your Dad wanted you to join the Army? 

Nah, I think he wanted me to be an alcoholic and card player more than anything else.

My Dad's worried that I'll actually like carrying a gun. ::)

Doesn't he know you are a liberal?  ;)

Written By: spaceace on 05/07/07 at 5:41 am

Hmm. So if you don't agree on anything & he likes the fact you are a smart ass; then you really don't like the fact you are a smart ass - so don't be - keep with tradition!

True too. Army seems guy-ish, Marines had this "jar head" rep & Air Force, (when I was young), I really thought was for people who really wanted to fly! 

Nah, I think he wanted me to be an alcoholic and card player more than anything else.

Doesn't he know you are a liberal?  ;)

Actually, sometimes sarcasm is necessary.

What?  He didn't want you to go to college?

Yes, he knows I'm a liberal.

My Dad said there is one thing we both agree on.  Bill Richardson would make a good President. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/07/07 at 6:57 pm

How many civilians were killed after we pulled out of Vietnam? ???

Written By: spaceace on 05/07/07 at 7:06 pm

How many civilians were killed after we pulled out of Vietnam? ???

None.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/08/07 at 7:48 am

I didn’t get those facts from a biased website hun, didn’t you see the sources? They were LIBERAL BIASED sources… I know this is tough, but truth hurts sometimes!   
That were all quoted on a REPUBLICAN website (see, I know how to google and check sources) ::)

Again with your weak sarcasm! The president of Iraq has really been stepping it up, which is disappointing to you I know. But he wants us there, Iraq and their government are our allies, even if it hurts your case!

They are NOT being killed by our allies, (WOW)!  Why do you write this way? It is so unbecoming it puzzles me!
Well, since the only people over there are US and the Iraqis, I guess we're killing our OWN troops? 

Republicans, (see, an “L”) are against a date for withdrawal. The reason it even passed that way is because the demoncrats put so much pork in it, kissed asses all over the place. But as for the country and the Republicans, they are not for the cut-and-run (and dangerous) withdrawal crap!  Uh oh, a Fib! They are NOT for running - they KNOW the dangers. For that matter, so do the demoncrats! The big difference, like Reid said, they are playing for more votes in the next election & really need to lose the war to win!
A fib?  I guess all the news sources (as well as the live CNN coverage of the Republicans being questioned about the vote) are just making this up?  BTW, Who said anything about running?  I was talking about the republicans who are saying they need to see some sort of progress or they're going to stop supporting the president (and yes, some have said start withdrawing the troops):

But nuances may no longer be enough to keep Republicans from breaking ranks. GOP leaders warn that they will need dramatic evidence of progress — something that has been in short supply in Iraq — to maintain support for the war.

"We need to get some better results from Iraq both politically, economically and militarily, and that needs to happen in the foreseeable future," said House Minority Whip Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), a Bush administration loyalist.

Several moderate Republicans have warned that they are preparing to switch sides unless the troop "surge" shows results.

"If the president's new strategy does not demonstrate significant results by August, then Congress should consider all options — including a redefinition of our mission and a gradual but significant withdrawal of our troops next year," said Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), who last week voted against the withdrawal bill.

That is ridiculous; obviously you are not that knowledgeable about the meaning of the word “insurgent”
So, the people killing our troops are not "Iraqi insurgents"?  What are they, then?

A. You don’t know what is in his heart … B. That’s again, juvenile and ridiculous!
And, you do?  Anyone with half a brain knows he doesn't have the best interests of AMERICANS at heart....he's proven that time and time again.

Don’t contribute then, it's your option!. There are only poll questions there, there are not suggestions on how you should vote! If you do not like the results, vote yourself to help change them… but don’t whine about it.  As for supporting our troops directly, how do you do that? By telling them we are losing the war and we want to cut off funding to them? Ahhhhh, feel the love!

I am not doing jack squat on a website that says they are sending my stuff to the RNC....they're the LAST people I need to have my information.  Besides that, since when do polls on a website change public policy?  Last time I checked, NEVER.  I vote, I write my congressmen, I support the troops but I refuse to support a "leader" who keeps lying to the public.

Oh, and for your information, I have sent supplies directly to the troops MULTIPLE times.  17 boxes at Christmas this year, 10 boxes last spring, 10 the Christmas before and I have coordinated 3 different supply drives with my sons' Scout pack to send stuff as well.  What better way to show the troops I support THEM?

And, where did you get that I want to "cut off funding"?  I just see no need to keep spending more and more $$ and sending more and more troops to a situation that was declared to be "won" 4 years ago. (remember Bush in his photo op on the aircraft carrier?)

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/10/07 at 10:40 am

How many civilians died after we left Vietnam? I dont know the exact number, but does it really matter?  I dont really hear a whole lot about Vietnam anymore except the anniversary of American pulling out.  Doesn't seem like the country is doing too bad, definitely not like North Korea. 

It boggles my mind that we worry about how many civilians will die when we pull out of Iraq, but it seems we could care less about how many are dying now through our negligent occupation.  It doesn't matter how many civilians die as long as they have a democratic nation, but it does matter how many die if we pull out.  Doesn't make sense to me.  If we do stay, why do it half assed.  Only way that we can even think that rebuilding this country is if the amount of troops is increased, an increase only coming from the implementation of another draft.  An idea that makes people very angry or scared.  Its not a war in Iraq anyway.  Maybe a civil war.  Our war ended when we took baghdad and eventually found Sadaam.  This is a rebuilding and policing action.  So, now we have this new surge that the President so confidently thinks will work.  30,000 troops?  Most of these already troops that have already been over there. 

How much effort are we giving to the African cause?  We wont give anything there because it seems that it holds no strategic and economic value for us. But, many civilians die everyday there.  What is so important about Iraq?

Just because I am not for this war, doesn't mean that I dont support the troops.  This is not a bunch of hogwash.  I served as a Marine and I do support America and its troops.  Is it such a bad thing that I dont want to die for a cause that I dont think is worthy of our time?  Would it be such a bad thing that I feel worse about the amount of poor people in this nation that we seem to discard.  I feel bad for the civilians in Iraq.  I feel bad for all the oppressed people of the world, but how can we change something when it seems the people are against the change.  It would make more sense to try and fix things that we are more capable of fixing.

You can wave the flag of freedom, but remember to wave it even when the troops come home.  They seem to be disposable heroes.  America loves its heroes, but when they are out of site, we forget.  They are not baby killers.  They are not against America.  Not all of them do the bad things that the media likes to portray.  They are human.  Whether they be British, Italian, French, Russian, or American.  They are all human and trying to do the best job that they can. 

I see a simple formula.

Alienate the allies.  Get the world to distrust you.  Make it seem like you are the bully cause you are the superpower of the world.  All eyes point to you.  A divided nation.  Economy getting worse.

A pessimistic or realists recipe for a disaster in America.  Every superpower has eventually broken apart.  I hope this isn't the start of ours.

Written By: Tia on 05/10/07 at 11:40 am

What is so important about Iraq?
let's play a game of charades.

okay, one word, three letters, two syllables. starts with "O."

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/10/07 at 12:07 pm

Ole?      lol

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/07 at 1:08 pm

How many civilians died after we left Vietnam? I dont know the exact number, but does it really matter?  I dont really hear a whole lot about Vietnam anymore except the anniversary of American pulling out.  Doesn't seem like the country is doing too bad, definitely not like North Korea. 

It boggles my mind that we worry about how many civilians will die when we pull out of Iraq, but it seems we could care less about how many are dying now through our negligent occupation.  It doesn't matter how many civilians die as long as they have a democratic nation, but it does matter how many die if we pull out.  Doesn't make sense to me.  If we do stay, why do it half assed.  Only way that we can even think that rebuilding this country is if the amount of troops is increased, an increase only coming from the implementation of another draft.  An idea that makes people very angry or scared.  Its not a war in Iraq anyway.  Maybe a civil war.  Our war ended when we took baghdad and eventually found Sadaam.  This is a rebuilding and policing action.  So, now we have this new surge that the President so confidently thinks will work.  30,000 troops?  Most of these already troops that have already been over there. 

How much effort are we giving to the African cause?  We wont give anything there because it seems that it holds no strategic and economic value for us. But, many civilians die everyday there.  What is so important about Iraq?

Just because I am not for this war, doesn't mean that I dont support the troops.  This is not a bunch of hogwash.  I served as a Marine and I do support America and its troops.  Is it such a bad thing that I dont want to die for a cause that I dont think is worthy of our time?  Would it be such a bad thing that I feel worse about the amount of poor people in this nation that we seem to discard.  I feel bad for the civilians in Iraq.  I feel bad for all the oppressed people of the world, but how can we change something when it seems the people are against the change.  It would make more sense to try and fix things that we are more capable of fixing.

You can wave the flag of freedom, but remember to wave it even when the troops come home.  They seem to be disposable heroes.  America loves its heroes, but when they are out of site, we forget.  They are not baby killers.  They are not against America.  Not all of them do the bad things that the media likes to portray.  They are human.  Whether they be British, Italian, French, Russian, or American.  They are all human and trying to do the best job that they can. 

I see a simple formula.

Alienate the allies.  Get the world to distrust you.  Make it seem like you are the bully cause you are the superpower of the world.  All eyes point to you.  A divided nation.  Economy getting worse.

A pessimistic or realists recipe for a disaster in America.  Every superpower has eventually broken apart.  I hope this isn't the start of ours.

http://emoticons4u.com/happy/1074.gif

Cat

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/10/07 at 3:09 pm

let's play a game of charades.

okay, one word, three letters, two syllables. starts with "O."
Unless you're from Texas, there, it's only 1 syllable ;)  Kinda' like the "-ole" sound in "hole"

Written By: Powerslave on 05/10/07 at 4:09 pm

Every superpower has eventually broken apart. 

You should get that made into a t-shirt slogan.

Written By: Tia on 05/10/07 at 4:12 pm

Unless you're from Texas, there, it's only 1 syllable ;)  Kinda' like the "-ole" sound in "hole"
i am actually from texas, but i don't think that's why i pronounce it "OY-ul."

actually, a texan might be more inclined to pronounce it "Ahl." with a thick ole drawl.

Check for new replies or respond here...