» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Al Gore Article

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/20/07 at 1:36 pm

I came across this article and thought it was well done.  Regardless of what you thought or think about Gore, I cant say that from reading this that he is as stupid as people portrayed him as.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1622009,00.html

An actual leader in this country?  Na, America doesn't need that.  Give us more people like Bush.    ???

Subject: Re: Al Gore Article

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/20/07 at 1:40 pm

Great article - you really have to give him credit.  He could be angry and bitter, but instead he is doing so much good right now.  I voted for him before and would vote for him again.  I wonder if he'll really run though.  I'd be surprised if he did.

Written By: nally on 05/20/07 at 1:44 pm

I voted for him too. :) When I did, it was my first time voting in a presidential election. Who woulda thought it would be one of the strangest elections in history? :o

I wonder if he'll really run though.  I'd be surprised if he did.

Yeah...if he'd been elected Prez in 2000, I wonder who his Republican opponent would have been in 2004. I also wonder how he would have handled the terror attacks of September '01. Certainly he wouldn't have gone to war with Iraq.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/20/07 at 1:56 pm

I voted for him too. :) When I did, it was my first time voting in a presidential election. Who woulda thought it would be one of the strangest elections in history? :o
Yeah...if he'd been elected Prez in 2000, I wonder who his Republican opponent would have been in 2004. I also wonder how he would have handled the terror attacks of September '01. Certainly he wouldn't have gone to war with Iraq.

He WAS elected prez in 2000 but the Supreme Court "appointed" Dubya.  ::)

Yeah, I voted for him, too and would again. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the 2008 race. I think he is much better than some of the others who are in now.

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/20/07 at 1:57 pm

He WAS elected prez in 2000 but the Supreme Court "appointed" Dubya.  ::)

That's right. I was annoyed by that. >:( After all, he did technically win the popular vote.

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/20/07 at 1:58 pm

According to the conspiracy posts, 9/11 wouldn't have happened if Gore would have become President.  It was the Bush administration coverup of the century.  Woot.  

I am not impressed with any of the candidates on either side really, which is pretty sad for our country.  Like I said, America needs a leader, and even though I would vote for him, I definitely dont wish any of this mess upon Gore.  His ideas on democracy, checks and balances, and government are right on in my opinion.  Something that I think people have forgotten, especially Congress, the Supreme Court, and the media.

You know whats funny, is that the biggest criticism I have heard of Gore is that he said that he invented the internet, which the stated that this really isnt what he said.  Plus, is it that far fetched that he had a hand in some of that due to his presence in apple corps and google.  The guy is smart, successful, caring, and knows a whole hell of alot more about the world than alot of people in politics now. 

He WAS elected prez in 2000 but the Supreme Court "appointed" Dubya.

I have wondered what this really means for out wonderful democracy.  Why do they tell me to vote when my vote really doesn't matter?  If our votes mattered, then technically Gore should have been President.  So, our democracy is the sh!ts but we think that we should spread it throughout the world.  Oh, and im sure there are right wingers out there that will tell us to stop living in the past, and I say why.  That moment in time defined what our democracy really is.  A joke.  Plus, if I cant think about what happened in the past, then they should stop thinking about 9/11.   

Gore was against the war from the start, so he cant be called a flip flopper there.  He has a plan for the environment.  I'm sure he has a plan for alot more than he leads on.  I am with other people, I hope he makes an entrance and runs for President.  This country seriously needs some help. America needs a leader.  We dont need candidates spouting their hate and fear, IE GOP candidates.  Our country is the strongest country in the world yet we have to sit here and listen to them tell us that the terrorists are going to get us.  WTF!!!   

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/20/07 at 1:59 pm

That's right. I was annoyed by that. >:( After all, he did technically win the popular vote.

Annoyed is putting it mildly. I am totally PISSED OFF by it-look at the damage Dubya has done since that happened.

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/20/07 at 2:05 pm

Annoyed is putting it mildly. I am totally PISSED OFF by it-look at the damage Dubya has done since that happened.

Cat

I was gonna say "pissed off" myself; I forgot that it's okay to say that on here now. Still, I was extremely angry about the whole thing. I knew he'd mess things up bigtime. ::)

You are so right...he has done lotsa damage. >:(

Written By: Davester on 05/20/07 at 11:29 pm

According to the conspiracy posts, 9/11 wouldn't have happened if Gore would have become President.  It was the Bush administration coverup of the century.  Woot.

There would have been no Donald Rumsfeld to start planning how to exploit the situation to get Saddam (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/09/04/september11/main520830.shtml) while the Pentagon was burning...

Gore would have been somewhat patient.  It's always worth going through the motions for legitimacy, unless it's the kicking of other peoples' asses, and not justice, that motivates one....

Gore would have continued to harangue Iraq; Clinton loved it.  Airstrike here, missile strike there.  That's the funny thing about the Gore situation.  We wouldn't have been showing slides of a rocket test facility to the UN until after we'd blown it up...

Gore, after much internal wrangling and begging from lobbyists, would probably have chosen to respect Kyoto.  Gore would have chosen to respect ICC...

Rather than browbeating the economy into the ground as Dubya does, Gore's administration would be tied up in so many staff meetings, legal consultations, and committee arguments that the economy would come apart from sheer impatience...

The midterm elections would have been even more resoundingly Republican...

There would still be arsenic in your drinking water...

Gore would have been no more dignified than Bush regarding Israeli atrocities in the West Bank...

The Freddie Phelps/Al Gore scandal would actually matter...

The only thing the Republicans could do to blow it under a Gore presidency is what Gingrich did - lose all sense of dignity...

There would be no Patriot Act...

There would be no "Homeland".  I find the term repugnant because our generation grew up mocking such notions as fatherlands or motherlands or "homelands"...

I am not impressed with any of the candidates on either side really, which is pretty sad for our country.  Like I said, America needs a leader, and even though I would vote for him, I definitely dont wish any of this mess upon Gore.  His ideas on democracy, checks and balances, and government are right on in my opinion.  Something that I think people have forgotten, especially Congress, the Supreme Court, and the media.

From an Independent's perspective: the right does what should be done for the wrong reasons because the left won't do what should be done for the right reasons...

I say, check out some of the alt parties groove ;) on...

Written By: thereshegoes on 05/21/07 at 6:19 am

Regardless of what you thought or think about Gore, I cant say that from reading this that he is as stupid as people portrayed him as.

Of course he's not stupid,he's powerpoint savvy!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/07 at 11:59 am

Well, you go to the war with the leadership (or lack of) you have not the leadership you WISH you had.  ::) ::)

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/07 at 5:39 pm

"When the crib's on fire, you don't speculate that the baby is fire retardant..."

I like that!
;D

The only people who were trying to say Al Gore was stupid was the FOX/Rush crowd because their guy REALLY IS stupid, and everybody knows it.
A lot of people who voted for him---myself included---will never call his concession in 2000 the right thing to do.  I still think he is one of the most important figures in our culture right now whether or not he re-enters politics.  I certainly don't think he's stupid!

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/21/07 at 6:07 pm

"When the crib's on fire, you don't speculate that the baby is fire retardant..."

I like that!
;D

The only people who were trying to say Al Gore was stupid was the FOX/Rush crowd because their guy REALLY IS stupid, and everybody knows it.
A lot of people who voted for him---myself included---will never call his concession in 2000 the right thing to do.  I still think he is one of the most important figures in our culture right now whether or not he re-enters politics.  I certainly don't think he's stupid!

Although it is commendable that he called off his concession, he still had the right to do it because he won the popular vote.  That whole fiasco is a crime against America and our democracy, yet we clapped and let life go on. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/07 at 6:09 pm

Although it is commendable that he called off his concession, he still had the right to do it because he won the popular vote.  That whole fiasco is a crime against America and our democracy, yet we clapped and let life go on. 

I do understand the rationale.  I just don't agree with it.
I heard bubba rednecks threatening "civil war" if Al Gore got inaugurated.
And they call the Left "whacky"?
::)

Written By: Tia on 05/21/07 at 6:12 pm

well, wasn't the florida legislature just going to GIVE bush their electoral votes if gore's recount had changed the outcome? they were just saying, we can give our votes to anyone we like, no matter who won the popular vote, so that's what we're going to do. it was extraordinary.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/07 at 6:24 pm

well, wasn't the florida legislature just going to GIVE bush their electoral votes if gore's recount had changed the outcome? they were just saying, we can give our votes to anyone we like, no matter who won the popular vote, so that's what we're going to do. it was extraordinary.

Correct.  People thought it was just sour grapes when Bill Press suggested we get rid of the electoral college after the 2000 election debacle.  Constitutionally, the Florida electors could do that.  It's always been the understanding that the state electors cast their ballots for the candidate who won the popular vote, but it ain't necessarily so, Joe, 'tain't necessarily so!

If we can't trust the electoral college to do the bidding of the majority, then it's time to dump it.  We don't need it.

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/21/07 at 6:29 pm

I do understand the rationale.  I just don't agree with it.
I heard bubba rednecks threatening "civil war" if Al Gore got inaugurated.
And they call the Left "whacky"?
::)

I guess they would want a butt whooping?  It would be squashed before they could load their shotguns.  Thats almost is as stupid as alot of what Bush says.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...