» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Republican Backyard Politics

Written By: danootaandme on 05/22/07 at 10:30 am

Sig lives in a very upscale, very Republican town in Massachusetts, he jokes that when he drives through town in his Ford parents clutch there young tightly, point to him and say "look, there he is,the Democrat".  This is one of these towns that you have to have 2 acres to build, there aren't any gas stations, no business district, 2 very small "village stores". Pretty much strictly mini mansions. The town has passed restrictive zoning laws but this time even I can't believe what they have come up with.  They don't allow multiple housing of any type, there is ONE apartment in the whole town.  A few years ago there were some homeowners who wanted to add "mother in law" apartments and there was a contentious fight about it, but if you were willing to jump quite a few hoops and sign a covenant that only direct relations would live in the "accessory portion" then you were allowed to do it.  Well time has gone on and the parents for whom the accessory portion was added have dwindled and some people have decided they would like to perhaps rent.  The town is in an uproar.  The town council has come up with an equitable solution  If you want to rent out your "accessory" you must apply to the council.  They will have a list of people who have been "screened".  Anyone looking to be on the list must have an income of 45,000 if single, 50,000 for a couple.  The homeowner could only rent to person on the list.  This is facism run amok.  The town can dictate who can live within its city limits, and who a homeowner can have in their own house, and the people of the town seem to be going for this.  Speechless is what I am, I don't think I can even comment.

Subject: Re: Republican Backyard Politics

Written By: spaceace on 05/22/07 at 10:41 am

We have a similar thing going on in some of the small towns here in Lancaster County PA.  Anything to keep property prices from falling or heaven forbid be affordable.  Typical suburban, cookie cutter, white picket fence B.S.  Almost to the extent of wanting a type of "pure blood" community.

Written By: La Roche on 05/22/07 at 10:55 am

We have a similar thing going on in some of the small towns here in Lancaster County PA.  Anything to keep property prices from falling or heaven forbid be affordable.  Typical suburban, cookie cutter, white picket fence B.S.  Almost to the extent of wanting a type of "pure blood" community.

Well, on the one hand, it is picket fence bulls**t. On the other hand, if I've just paid $500,000 for a house, I want to protect my investment by any means necessary.

Written By: spaceace on 05/22/07 at 11:01 am

Well, on the one hand, it is picket fence bulls**t. On the other hand, if I've just paid $500,000 for a house, I want to protect my investment by any means necessary.

I could see a small affluent area with half-million dollar houses but this is happening in communities where the average house values at $230,000.  There has been mentioned about the middle and working class family disappearing, well it's true.  The social-economic situation in America reminds me of a Caste system in every sense of the word.

Written By: La Roche on 05/22/07 at 11:03 am

I could see a small affluent area with half-million dollar houses but this is happening in communities where the average house values at $230,000.  There has been mentioned about the middle and working class family disappearing, well it's true.  The social-economic situation in America reminds me of a Caste system in every sense of the word.

Hmmm, that does change things, but I still stand by my point, if I've spent a s**t load of money on a house, I want to protect my investment.

Written By: spaceace on 05/22/07 at 11:10 am

Hmmm, that does change things, but I still stand by my point, if I've spent a s**t load of money on a house, I want to protect my investment.

Protecting an investment is one thing but I think that it should go no farther than your property line.  If there is no significant danger to the area, except for a few well meaning democrats then there should be no issue.  If it were a historical district I could also see rule such as Danoota&Me stated but I believe this is a class/caste issue.

Written By: La Roche on 05/22/07 at 11:18 am

Protecting an investment is one thing but I think that it should go no farther than your property line.  If there is no significant danger to the area, except for a few well meaning democrats then there should be no issue.  If it were a historical district I could also see rule such as Danoota&Me stated but I believe this is a class/caste issue.

Maybe.

Here's the thing.

It's not what you think of the people moving in to the neighborhood, it's what the guy you want to sell the house to thinks.  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/22/07 at 11:20 am

There was a similar situation in Rutland a few years back. There was a road that had written into its "laws" not to have mobile homes. One family moved in and bought a pre-fab home-but it was a permanant fixture. Some neighbors were up in arms about it and went to court. Some stupid judge told the family that they had to remove the house (at their expense which would had put them in debt big time). Of course they appealed and the neighbors dropped the suit. The thing is, the neighbor who started the law suit actually moved.  ::) But, during it all, the neighbors treated this family like s**t because their house was not to their liking. I think they did move from the neighborhood-who would want to live there anyway.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 05/22/07 at 3:25 pm

Well if I paid 500,00 for a house I think I have the right to say who lives in it, not go before the city council and be told who was going to live in my house.  Actually the median house price in his town is 725,000.  That isn't what he spent, he bought in before the inflation of housing prices.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/22/07 at 3:33 pm

Having spent a bit of time in the town I can say it is definitely a class issue (I could go into specifics, but not now).  They are telling home owners that they cannot rent there "accessory unit" to anyone that the city council doesn't approve of, and the people considered for the list must have an income of at least 45,000 a year, as if that is the amount of money that makes one desirable.  It's not the business of a city council to tell a homeowner who they can and cannot rent to unless the person poses a threat.

Written By: La Roche on 05/22/07 at 3:41 pm

Well if I paid 500,00 for a house I think I have the right to say who lives in it, not go before the city council and be told who was going to live in my house.  Actually the median house price in his town is 725,000.  That isn't what he spent, he bought in before the inflation of housing prices.

725K, dang!

Still, it seems to me that they want to maintain the high standards of the town. I wouldn't want to live there, so I wouldn't buy a house or rent there.

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/22/07 at 3:42 pm

725K, dang!

Still, it seems to me that they want to maintain the high standards of the town. I wouldn't want to live there, so I wouldn't buy a house or rent there.

Sounds like I should go take a crap on their lawn.  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 05/22/07 at 3:49 pm

725K, dang!

What, you think that someone with a 725,000 house can't be trusted rent out there own "mother in law" apartment without help from the gestapo?

Written By: La Roche on 05/22/07 at 3:52 pm

What, you think that someone with a 725,000 house can't be trusted rent out there own "mother in law" apartment without help from the gestapo?

No, I dare say they're fully able to and would probably make a good job of it, but just like one requires planning permission to build an extension, if you live in a small town (and I think there within lays the issue) there will be archaic laws which one must follow.

I personally wouldn't want to live in that town you're talking about, I'd get pissed off very fast, that being said, if that's how it works then that's how it works. Somebody needs to put forward a proposal that the current council members be removed or that the specific rules regarding renting out annex apartments be relaxed.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/22/07 at 4:01 pm

No, I dare say they're fully able to and would probably make a good job of it, but just like one requires planning permission to build an extension, if you live in a small town (and I think there within lays the issue) there will be archaic laws which one must follow.

I personally wouldn't want to live in that town you're talking about, I'd get pissed off very fast, that being said, if that's how it works then that's how it works. Somebody needs to put forward a proposal that the current council members be removed or that the specific rules regarding renting out annex apartments be relaxed.

The thing is they already have the "accessory units"(they don't want to call them mother in law, or even apartments). They have been told that they can't rent them once mom or dad leaves.  I'd love to spend a day with you there, you'd go nuts.  It is a Martha Stewart/Gordon Gecko wet dream.  All Lands End and Birkenstock.

Written By: philbo on 05/22/07 at 5:41 pm

How can the town prevent renting of an annex?  Do they actually have the right to do a DNA test on a tenant to prove whether they're a relative or not?  (i.e. surely a homeowner could say "yep, he's my cousin" without the officials having the legal right to get the data to prove that he's not?)

Written By: La Roche on 05/22/07 at 5:46 pm

The thing is they already have the "accessory units"(they don't want to call them mother in law, or even apartments). They have been told that they can't rent them once mom or dad leaves.  I'd love to spend a day with you there, you'd go nuts.  It is a Martha Stewart/Gordon Gecko wet dream.  All Lands End and Birkenstock.

Uurgh.

Uuurrgghhhh. I'd have to get really..really hammered and do some structural damage to something, but still, it's an issue that the residents need to bring up with the town council. I assume the council is elected by the people of the town?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/07 at 6:12 pm

Having spent a bit of time in the town I can say it is definitely a class issue (I could go into specifics, but not now).  They are telling home owners that they cannot rent there "accessory unit" to anyone that the city council doesn't approve of, and the people considered for the list must have an income of at least 45,000 a year, as if that is the amount of money that makes one desirable.  It's not the business of a city council to tell a homeowner who they can and cannot rent to unless the person poses a threat.

Weston? Dover?
I'd guess Lincoln, but I know Lincoln has an entire apartment complex.  My sister used to live there with her boyfriend back in the '80s. 

It's always amusing to me how there's a deafening silence from Libertarians on these matters.

BIG GOVERNMENT
IS OK WHEN:
The rich say what the rich can or cannot do.
The rich say what the poor can or cannot do.

IS NOT OK WHEN:
The poor say what the rich can or cannot do.

That's the heart of it all!
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 05/22/07 at 9:36 pm

Weston? Dover?
I'd guess Lincoln, but I know Lincoln has an entire apartment complex.  My sister used to live there with her boyfriend back in the '80s. 

It's always amusing to me how there's a deafening silence from Libertarians on these matters.

BIG GOVERNMENT
IS OK WHEN:
The rich say what the rich can or cannot do.
The rich say what the poor can or cannot do.

IS NOT OK WHEN:
The poor say what the rich can or cannot do.

That's the heart of it all!
::)

www.town.boxford.ma.us/index.shtml

Boxford...The have an elderly complex, but it is hidden away and you have to have connections(and money) up the wazoo to get in.  They do not advertise. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/07 at 7:41 pm

www.town.boxford.ma.us/index.shtml

Boxford...The have an elderly complex, but it is hidden away and you have to have connections(and money) up the wazoo to get in.  They do not advertise. 

Oh, Boxford, beautiful old Boxford.  I knew that town was loaded, but I didn't know it was that loaded. 
I went to high school in North Andover, which is much more exclusive than it was 20 years ago.  It's sick.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/30/07 at 8:29 am

I know how Sig feels with the "there's the Democrat" crap because I'm one of the few (only?) Dems in my town as well.

I can also understand the "resistance is futile" mentality because that's what our homeowner's association is going for....one of them actually wanted to be able to "evaluate" prospective homeowners (that was shot down by the Village).  However, these "accessory units" are attached, correct?  Who in their right mind are going to rent out something ATTACHED to their house to some rednecks?  It's like what I've been saying about our HOA.....the median house price in my sub is around $500K, do they really think people are going to fork out that kind of $$ and turn it into a junkyard or something?  Hell, I have a bush that has died in my front yard.....technically, when I replace it, I'm supposed to submit a modification request to the board if I decide to put in something other than what's already there.  Needless to say, this weekend, I'm going "bush shopping" (sounds kinky :D) and I'll put in whatever I dammed well please!!

Written By: danootaandme on 05/30/07 at 9:39 am

I know how Sig feels with the "there's the Democrat" crap because I'm one of the few (only?) Dems in my town as well.

I can also understand the "resistance is futile" mentality because that's what our homeowner's association is going for....one of them actually wanted to be able to "evaluate" prospective homeowners (that was shot down by the Village).  However, these "accessory units" are attached, correct?  Who in their right mind are going to rent out something ATTACHED to their house to some rednecks?  It's like what I've been saying about our HOA.....the median house price in my sub is around $500K, do they really think people are going to fork out that kind of $$ and turn it into a junkyard or something?  Hell, I have a bush that has died in my front yard.....technically, when I replace it, I'm supposed to submit a modification request to the board if I decide to put in something other than what's already there.  Needless to say, this weekend, I'm going "bush shopping" (sounds kinky :D) and I'll put in whatever I dammed well please!!

The "accessory units" are actually just mother in law apts, with access to the main house.  They are already existing, and in Boxford there is a 2 acre minimum on house lots. There aren't any homes at all with less than two acres... none.  When I say upscale I mean just that. There aren't any businesses to speak of, There are two small(very small) stores in town, one has the only gas pump, there aren't any gas stations, or coffee shops, convenience stores, no store fronts at all The only business that I can think of are the Ice Cream Stand and a couple of farms with farm stands that have been there since before the town turned into what it is now, and of course a golf course. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/01/07 at 3:55 pm

The only business that I can think of are the Ice Cream Stand

Benson's?

You know what kids do in Boxford?  Drugs.  Why?  Because they're bored.
:P

Check for new replies or respond here...