» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Florida Veterans for Peace in South Beach

Written By: tokjct on 05/28/07 at 12:33 am

Once again, my organization, the Miami (& South Florida) Chapter of the Veterans for Peace (Chapter 32) set up it's "Arlington Memorial" display in South Beach.
Here's the story:
<http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_147184929.html>
peace...Lee (aka tokjct)

Subject: Re: Florida Veterans for Peace in South Beach

Written By: tokjct on 05/28/07 at 12:40 am

Once again, my organization, the Miami (& South Florida) Chapter of the Veterans for Peace (Chapter 32) set up it's "Arlington Memorial" display in South Beach.
Here's the story:
peace...Lee (aka tokjct)

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_147184929.html

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/28/07 at 6:41 am

Here's the story:
peace...Lee (aka tokjct)

I think it's disgraceful to the American Veterans," said VFW post commander James Morris.

He says the cemetery sends the wrong messa\ge

"First of all, I think we should support our troops, those guys are over there trying to keep America free," he said.

??????

I dont think it is desgraceful.  To me it is disgraceful saying that they are over there fighting for our freedoms. 

I think it is a good idea because Americans need to be reminded of the cost of war plus all of the sacrifices of our military members. 

Its not like he is out there with signs yelling bring our troops home.  Its not like he has a sign calling our troops baby killers. 

Written By: La Roche on 05/28/07 at 11:45 am

Over there trying to keep America free?

Surely if freedom is their aim they need to be in Washington and London fighting against the corrupt politicians eroding our rights and civil liberties.

The few that still support this occupation are free to go and defend their version of freedom wherever they want, but I don't subscribe to it.

The freedom I enjoy allows us to discuss openly our dislike of our leaders.
The freedom I enjoy allows us to travel without restrictions.
The freedom I enjoy allows us the protection of Habeas Corpus.

Evidently this is how democracy dies, to thunderous applause.

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/28/07 at 11:58 am

Other there trying to keep America free?

Surely if freedom is their aim they need to be in Washington and London fighting against the corrupt politicians eroding our rights and civil liberties.

The few that still support this occupation are free to go and defend their version of freedom wherever they want, but I don't subscribe to it.

Yep, exactly.

They are supposedly fighting for Iraqi freedom while our democracy is torn apart.  It has nothing to do with party lines.  It has everything to do with the erosion of all our basic freedoms.

Ah, same words thaat where  in Star Wars Episode 3.  Wow, scary.  The chancellor received more power than he should have received, refused to leave office when the war was over, and created an evil empire.  Hmm, will this happen to us?  Will Americans applaud while our Democracy dies?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/28/07 at 12:01 pm

Other there trying to keep America free?

Here are more applause (for you.  ;) )

http://emoticons4u.com/happy/1074.gif

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 05/28/07 at 12:03 pm

Will Americans applaud while our Democracy dies?

Not whilst there's an ounce of blood in my veins, now whilst I'm breathing in and out!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/28/07 at 4:32 pm

First Bush calls the perpetrators of 9/11 "two-bit terrorists" and then he and his cronies spend the next six years pointing to 9/11 and gravely warning us our country is in peril.  Well, if our country is in peril, those terrorists aren't "two-bit," and if those terrorists are "two-bit," our country is not in peril.

Similarly, they called Saddam a "tinhorn dictator," and at the same time worked him up into being a menace to the whole wide world.

Does anybody really really believe Al Qaeda and the Iraqi "insurgents" can pose their will on the U.S.A?

Written By: La Roche on 05/28/07 at 4:34 pm

First Bush calls the perpetrators of 9/11 "two-bit terrorists" and then he and his cronies spend the next six years pointing to 9/11 and gravely warning us our country is in peril.  Well, if our country is in peril, those terrorists aren't "two-bit," and if those terrorists are "two-bit," our country is not in peril.

Similarly, they called Saddam a "tinhorn dictator," and at the same time worked him up into being a menace to the whole wide world.

Does anybody really really believe Al Qaeda and the Iraqi "insurgents" can pose their will on the U.S.A?

Max... we both know, nobody can impose their will on the U.S.

I mean seriously, it's like when they talk about the debt to all these different nations that the U.S owes.. eventually it comes down to "Yeah right, like you can make us pay."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/28/07 at 4:43 pm

Max... we both know, nobody can impose their will on the U.S.

I mean seriously, it's like when they talk about the debt to all these different nations that the U.S owes.. eventually it comes down to "Yeah right, like you can make us pay."

Lyndon LaRouche's solution to the national debt:  "Repudiate it!"
"That's it, we're not payin,' now come 'n get us, suckers!"

Of course, the problem is one of class, not one of nation.

There is a tiny class of international capitalists controlling the wealth of the world.  Some of them are American citizens with bonded U.S. debt sky high.  We're not all in this together!

Written By: La Roche on 05/28/07 at 4:44 pm

Lyndon LaRouche's solution to the national debt:  "Repudiate it!"
"That's it, we're not payin,' now come 'n get us, suckers!"

Of course, the problem is one of class, not one of nation.

There is a tiny class of international capitalists controlling the wealth of the world.  Some of them are American citizens with bonded U.S. debt sky high.  We're not all in this together!

Lyndon LaRouche is wonderful in a scary sort of way.

Written By: Tia on 05/28/07 at 5:08 pm

i like lyndon. he's this left-wing peacenik extremist and yet you know if he ever got elected we'd be at war with, like, 20 countries the next morning. cuz he's rather... insane.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/28/07 at 8:35 pm

Lyndon LaRouche is wonderful in a scary sort of way.

It's lucky I wasn't old enough to vote in 1980 'coz I would have written in Lyndon LaRouche!
:D

(Actually, I hate to admit this, but I voted for...Jesus my ffffingerwill barely lemme type it....I voted for....shhhhh....Ronald Reagan...in my fifth grade straw poll!  There!  I said it.  I was young and foolish.  Now I'm....not so young, and foolish!  You know who won that straw poll?  Jerry Brown!  Waldorf School, all progressive parents.  I was the rebel!)
:-[

Written By: La Roche on 05/28/07 at 10:11 pm

It's lucky I wasn't old enough to vote in 1980 'coz I would have written in Lyndon LaRouche!
:D

(Actually, I hate to admit this, but I voted for...Jesus my ffffingerwill barely lemme type it....I voted for....shhhhh....Ronald Reagan...in my fifth grade straw poll!  There!  I said it.  I was young and foolish.  Now I'm....not so young, and foolish!  You know who won that straw poll?  Jerry Brown!  Waldorf School, all progressive parents.  I was the rebel!)
:-[

.. and now I'm going to hold that over your head forever.  ;D

Max, you realize that you're more of a Reagan foot soldier than Rush, he never voted for him.. hell, he never voted until he was in his mid 30's. Of course, your vote didn't really count for anything, but regardless, it's the thought that counts.  ;)

Admittedly, in 5th grade I would have voted for Dubyah because he looks so much like a monkey, I wouldn't have been able to stop laughing.

Jerry Brown = California Uber Alles - Progressive fascism at it's finest.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/28/07 at 11:07 pm

.. and now I'm going to hold that over your head forever.  ;D

Max, you realize that you're more of a Reagan foot soldier than Rush, he never voted for him.. hell, he never voted until he was in his mid 30's. Of course, your vote didn't really count for anything, but regardless, it's the thought that counts.  ;)

Admittedly, in 5th grade I would have voted for Dubyah because he looks so much like a monkey, I wouldn't have been able to stop laughing.

Jerry Brown = California Uber Alles - Progressive fascism at it's finest.  ;D

Reagan was very appealing to a fifth grader, but the point of K-12 is to get beyond the fifth grade!
;)
By '84 I still wasn't old enough to vote, but I understood Reagan was a lying sack of sheesh who doubled the national debt in three years.  I'm glad I was too young to vote, 'coz I sure didn't like Mondale/Ferraro!

Rush didn't register to vote until he was 35.  I think nowadays he'd cast his ballot for whoever would give him a handful of Percocets and a tripple bacon cheeseburger!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_porc.gif

And of course we'd all vote for Dubya in the fifth grade.  Just answer this polling question:
Who would you rather have on your team in the snowball war?
George W. Bush or Al Gore?
Boy, I'll tell you what....

I know, I know, Jello didn't like Jerry.  But can you imagine if Jello ever got to be governor of California?  You like the idea of concentration camps for SUV drivers?
:o

Written By: La Roche on 05/28/07 at 11:15 pm

Reagan was very appealing to a fifth grader, but the point of K-12 is to get beyond the fifth grade!
;)
By '84 I still wasn't old enough to vote, but I understood Reagan was a lying sack of sheesh who doubled the national debt in three years.  I'm glad I was too young to vote, 'coz I sure didn't like Mondale/Ferraro!

Rush didn't register to vote until he was 35.  I think nowadays he'd cast his ballot for whoever would give him a handful of Percocets and a tripple bacon cheeseburger!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_porc.gif

And of course we'd all vote for Dubya in the fifth grade.  Just answer this polling question:
Who would you rather have on your team in the snowball war?
George W. Bush or Al Gore?
Boy, I'll tell you what....

I know, I know, Jello didn't like Jerry.  But can you imagine if Jello ever got to be governor of California?  You like the idea of concentration camps for SUV drivers?
:o

I just find it so amusing, that Rush, the great supporter of Reagan couldn't even be bothered to peel his ass off the couch and vote, then again, wasn't he on welfare during the Reagan administration, probably wise to not vote for him.

I maintain - I think George would be a fun guy to know.. in all seriousness, if he was my neighbor I bet I'd get on great with him, he likes to drink a few beers, watch some baseball, snort some coke, great, I'll bet we'd be good buddies, but.. just like I should NOT! be President, he shouldn't either. He's about qualified enough to be my friend.. and considering most of the guys I know have ended up in jail at some point or another, that says a lot.

Jello didn't seem to like anybody to be honest. I've always loved the DK's, but Jello is, was and always shall be a total wanker.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/29/07 at 10:35 pm

I just find it so amusing, that Rush, the great supporter of Reagan couldn't even be bothered to peel his ass off the couch and vote, then again, wasn't he on welfare during the Reagan administration, probably wise to not vote for him.

Nah, Rush was never on welfare.  He's from a rich family.  Rush was a Top 40 jock who had a thing or two to say about sports and politics.  He was a talented broadcaster.  That was the one compliment I would always pay him.  However, it seems like the drugs have addled his mind.  He stammers and gibbers lately and takes ten minutes to tell a one-minute anectdote.  He's up there with Ozzy and Keith Richards in the brain damage dept!

I maintain - I think George would be a fun guy to know.. in all seriousness, if he was my neighbor I bet I'd get on great with him, he likes to drink a few beers, watch some baseball, snort some coke, great, I'll bet we'd be good buddies, but.. just like I should NOT! be President, he shouldn't either. He's about qualified enough to be my friend.. and considering most of the guys I know have ended up in jail at some point or another, that says a lot.
Speaking of the brain damage dept.
People I know who remember Watergate say the hatred for Bush is nothing like the hatred for Nixon.  I think it comes down to personality, as you are saying.  I've thought the same thing about Dubya. This guy might not be so bad if he wasn't president.  He seems easy-going, jovial, kinda fun.  Whereas, Richard Nixon always came across as freaky, paranoid, and hostile.  His whole persona set your adrenalin pumping.  You wanted to hate that guy!  Bush is a guy you don't want to hate personally, you just wish he wasn't the most powerful person in the country!  It's sort of like walking into the cockpit of a 747 and finding Beaver Cleaver at the rudder!  I felt similarly about Reagan, but I think Reagan was helluva smarter than Dubya...and that ain't sayin' much for Dubya!  Seriously, this is important.  Reagan liked to sit down and talk with the opposition.  Dubya likes to stand there and give folks the finger, then turn his back.  God knows Reagan was an atrocity for this country domestically, but when Ronzo left office in January of 1989, the entire world didn't hate our guts because of him.

I would rather have a beer with Dubya than with Al Gore.  However, I'd rather smoke a joint with Al Gore.  Get Al loosened up a bit and he could rap all night about life, the universe, and everything.  I don't think with any enhancements Dubya could get much beyond, "So, how 'bout them Cowboys!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/bandit.gif
Jello didn't seem to like anybody to be honest. I've always loved the DK's, but Jello is, was and always shall be a total wanker.

Indeed.  Jello was and will always be a punk rocker at heart.  Punk was never known for "Up with People!"  Wanker comes with the territory.  Take John Lydon for instance.
John Lydon did some really great stuff with P.I.L. (I always considered the Sex Pistols a joke band), but he'll always be Johnny Rotten, the consumate "total wanker," even if he lives to be 98 years old!
8)

Written By: La Roche on 05/29/07 at 11:05 pm

Nah, Rush was never on welfare.  He's from a rich family.  Rush was a Top 40 jock who had a thing or two to say about sports and politics.  He was a talented broadcaster.  That was the one compliment I would always pay him.  However, it seems like the drugs have addled his mind.  He stammers and gibbers lately and takes ten minutes to tell a one-minute anectdote.  He's up there with Ozzy and Keith Richards in the brain damage dept!
Speaking of the brain damage dept.
People I know who remember Watergate say the hatred for Bush is nothing like the hatred for Nixon.  I think it comes down to personality, as you are saying.  I've thought the same thing about Dubya. This guy might not be so bad if he wasn't president.  He seems easy-going, jovial, kinda fun.  Whereas, Richard Nixon always came across as freaky, paranoid, and hostile.  His whole persona set your adrenalin pumping.  You wanted to hate that guy!  Bush is a guy you don't want to hate personally, you just wish he wasn't the most powerful person in the country!  It's sort of like walking into the cockpit of a 747 and finding Beaver Cleaver at the rudder!  I felt similarly about Reagan, but I think Reagan was helluva smarter than Dubya...and that ain't sayin' much for Dubya!  Seriously, this is important.  Reagan liked to sit down and talk with the opposition.  Dubya likes to stand there and give folks the finger, then turn his back.  God knows Reagan was an atrocity for this country domestically, but when Ronzo left office in January of 1989, the entire world didn't hate our guts because of him.

I would rather have a beer with Dubya than with Al Gore.  However, I'd rather smoke a joint with Al Gore.  Get Al loosened up a bit and he could rap all night about life, the universe, and everything.  I don't think with any enhancements Dubya could get much beyond, "So, how 'bout them Cowboys!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/bandit.gif
Indeed.  Jello was and will always be a punk rocker at heart.  Punk was never known for "Up with People!"  Wanker comes with the territory.  Take John Lydon for instance.
John Lydon did some really great stuff with P.I.L. (I always considered the Sex Pistols a joke band), but he'll always be Johnny Rotten, the consumate "total wanker," even if he lives to be 98 years old!
8)

Oh No Max, Of his own admission, Rush was on welfare for a reasonably lengthy period of time. I believe during his second marriage (great family values there) his wife of the time convinced him to claim welfare.
Probably when he got fired from the Royals front office.

Dubyah is very much one of the guys. I stand by my belief that he'd be a great neighbor. He'd probably even spring for the PPV fights cus ya know, his Dad's rich.

Reagan was very..very good, at being President. I happen to believe Reagan and Clinton were the two best Presidents since FDR, I know you dislike Reagan and aren't exactly in love with Clinton, but regardless, they were both.. very good at being President. They talked with other leaders, they were intelligent, articulate, knowledgeable, forceful when necessary but also had the ability to be compassionate when necessary.
Dubayh dosen't have any of these skills. I honestly feel that if he were my neighbor.. and we had an argument, he wouldn't discuss it with me, he'd throw his empty beer cans at my car.

Actually, isn't he now - John Lydon of the estate. They all bought big country homes didn't they? Very shocking I suppose.

Check for new replies or respond here...