» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Cindy Sheehan Goes Home

Written By: danootaandme on 05/29/07 at 10:35 am

Her heart was in the right place.  She was the american mom who woke up to the realities of the world after paying the highest price a mother could pay, and she has been let down by the people who used her heart and her naivete.  She helped jumpstart a movement and she was drained dry by it.  I have only good wishes for her. 

Subject: Re: Cindy Sheehan Goes Home

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/29/07 at 6:18 pm

Her heart was in the right place.  She was the american mom who woke up to the realities of the world after paying the highest price a mother could pay, and she has been let down by the people who used her heart and her naivete.  She helped jumpstart a movement and she was drained dry by it.  I have only good wishes for her. 

Me too.  I really feel for her.  I can't think of anyone else who fought harder.  She deserves to rest now.  I know that I will never forget her.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/29/07 at 9:49 pm

After what the chickensh*t Dems did last week, I can't say as I blame her!

"The most devastating conclusion that I reached this morning, however, was that Casey did indeed die for nothing....

I have tried every (day) since he died to make his sacrifice meaningful. Casey died for a country which cares more about who will be the next American Idol than how many people will be killed in the next few months while Democrats and Republicans play politics with human lives...

It is so painful to me to know that I bought into this system for so many years and Casey paid the price for that allegiance. I failed my boy and that hurts the most."

-- Ms. Cindy Sheehan

http://www.africasia.com/services/news/newsitem.php?area=mideast&item=070529202055.0vw834fl.php

Cindy, I'd like to buy you a drink.  You are a red white and blue patriot.  You are America's mom!
For three years of service above and beyond the call of duty, I salute you!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_salut.gif

And you most certainly did not fail your son...quite the contrary...though I can understand your despair.

Written By: spaceace on 05/29/07 at 10:00 pm

http://www.peacewithrealism.org/headline/sheehan.htm

I can't say what I really want to.  This article should do the trick.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/29/07 at 10:49 pm

Cindy, I'd like to buy you a drink.  You are a red white and blue patriot.  You are America's mom!
For three years of service above and beyond the call of duty, I salute you!

"Rule #1:  Congress Shall Make No Law..."

Cindy, I disagree with everything you stand for politically - and since it sounds like a lot more fun than dying for your defense to say it, I'd  still buy you a BEvERage of your choosing in any bar you choose to frequent.  For realizing that enemies both foreign and domestic have been been taking advantage of you three years - and for finally having the courage to walk away from the whole mess, I also salute you. 

Chavez is a sick totalitarian thug, and he exploited you more than the Jackass wing of the Party (your biggest mistake, Cindy, was thinking there were two Parties in Amerika :) ever did.  That little rant out of the way, by Rule #1, you were more an American than I've got any intention of being.

Written By: esoxslayer on 05/30/07 at 8:00 pm

Thanks for the link...

A tragic loss for her for sure......but her actions SUCK BIG TIME !!!!

A portion of his Wikepedia page:

In May 2000, Sheehan enlisted in the United States Army as a light-wheeled vehicle mechanic, MOS 63B. It has been reported that he had originally wanted to be a Chaplain's assistant MOS 56M. (Sheehan had acted as an altar server during the Palm Sunday mass on the morning of his death).

Near the end of his tour of duty, the U.S. invasion of Iraq began. Sheehan re-enlisted, knowing that his unit would be sent to Iraq. Sheehan's division, the First Cavalry Division, was sent to Iraq. On March 19, 2004, Sheehan's unit, C Battery, 1st Battalion, 82nd Field Artillery Regiment arrived at FOB War Eagle in Sadr City. Just a few weeks later, on April 4, 2004, Sheehan was killed in action after volunteering as part of a Quick Reaction Force to rescue American troops.

So...he volunteered for service in 2000,

Re-Enlisted, KNOWING he would be sent to Iraq,

Wanted to be a Chaplains assistant...settled for a vehicle mechanic MOS,

Volunteered (an admirable gesture, I might add) to go rescue other US forces as part of a quick reaction force, and was KIA....

I'm confused.......

He reenlisted, right??

He knew he was going to Iraq, right??

He wasn't trained as infantry, yet volunteered to put himself in a position where infantry skills would almost assuredly be required (unless he planned on throwing wrenches at the enemy), gets himself killed...and

His mother raises holy hell about her sons VOLUNTEERING, REENLISTING, and placing himself into harms way??  And some people in America buy into her BS???

Please..spare me the crap thats smeared all over this womans story......

Written By: spaceace on 05/30/07 at 8:14 pm

Thanks for the link...

A tragic loss for her for sure......but her actions SUCK BIG TIME !!!!

A portion of his Wikepedia page:

In May 2000, Sheehan enlisted in the United States Army as a light-wheeled vehicle mechanic, MOS 63B. It has been reported that he had originally wanted to be a Chaplain's assistant MOS 56M. (Sheehan had acted as an altar server during the Palm Sunday mass on the morning of his death).

Near the end of his tour of duty, the U.S. invasion of Iraq began. Sheehan re-enlisted, knowing that his unit would be sent to Iraq. Sheehan's division, the First Cavalry Division, was sent to Iraq. On March 19, 2004, Sheehan's unit, C Battery, 1st Battalion, 82nd Field Artillery Regiment arrived at FOB War Eagle in Sadr City. Just a few weeks later, on April 4, 2004, Sheehan was killed in action after volunteering as part of a Quick Reaction Force to rescue American troops.

So...he volunteered for service in 2000,

Re-Enlisted, KNOWING he would be sent to Iraq,

Wanted to be a Chaplains assistant...settled for a vehicle mechanic MOS,

Volunteered (an admirable gesture, I might add) to go rescue other US forces as part of a quick reaction force, and was KIA....

I'm confused.......

He reenlisted, right??

He knew he was going to Iraq, right??

He wasn't trained as infantry, yet volunteered to put himself in a position where infantry skills would almost assuredly be required (unless he planned on throwing wrenches at the enemy), gets himself killed...and

His mother raises holy hell about her sons VOLUNTEERING, REENLISTING, and placing himself into harms way??  And some people in America buy into her BS???

You have pretty much said what I didn't have the guts to say.  Thank you!!!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/31/07 at 6:05 pm

I volunteer to drive to work on the freeway every day.  Does this mean I deserve to be killed?  That fact that he volunteered doesn't justify a pointless war, and certainly doesn't make a mother grieve any less for her son. 

Written By: spaceace on 05/31/07 at 6:15 pm

I volunteer to drive to work on the freeway every day.  Does this mean I deserve to be killed?  That fact that he volunteered doesn't justify a pointless war, and certainly doesn't make a mother grieve any less for her son. 

You become a soldier with the knowledge that in a time of war you may be killed.  I cannot see the connection between driving to work and being a soldier during wartime.  Cindy Sheehan went beyond protesting an unjust war.  All I saw was a self-serving wannabe politician with a foul mouth. 

Written By: esoxslayer on 05/31/07 at 7:10 pm

HERE's something interesting:

From Cindy Sheehans Wikepedia page:

>>Sheehan states she has "always been a Democrat," and that she had initially questioned the urgency of the invasion of Iraq, but did not become active in the anti-war effort until after her son's death.>>

REALLY!!??  It wasn't worth protesting over UNTIL AFTER her son was killed??  No grasping for national media attention BEFORE??  WHY the hell not???

Maybe if she would have tried a bit harder to convey to her son that the war, in her mind, was "wrong"..or if she would have tried to become a media darling grasping for her 30 seconds in the spotlight BEFORE her legal age son voluntarily re-enlisted, he may have thought differently.  But since he was a legal consenting adult, free to make his own decisions, (and I'm operating under the assumption that he was mentally stable here), then his views of whether this war was justified or not seem to differ from Ms Sheehans.

So, can we assume the following about Ms Sheehan, based on her track record AFTER her son was killed??

A)...she thinks her son is a war monger for voluntarily reenlisting, knowing he was going to a war zone and would partake in this war??

B)..she thinks her son is an idiot (and now a dead one, for the reasons I listed in "A"??

C)..she feels inadequate because of the way she raised him, even though he was old enough to make decisions on his own without mommys help??

D)...  she feels it's the Republicans fault for the lads reenlisting ??  Was there a draft that I missed somewhere???

E)..Is the lad turning over in his (finally markered) grave once his mother started her protests??

Written By: spaceace on 05/31/07 at 7:55 pm

HERE's something interesting:

From Cindy Sheehans Wikepedia page:

>>Sheehan states she has "always been a Democrat," and that she had initially questioned the urgency of the invasion of Iraq, but did not become active in the anti-war effort until after her son's death.>>

REALLY!!??  It wasn't worth protesting over UNTIL AFTER her son was killed??  No grasping for national media attention BEFORE??  WHY the hell not???

Maybe if she would have tried a bit harder to convey to her son that the war, in her mind, was "wrong"..or if she would have tried to become a media darling grasping for her 30 seconds in the spotlight BEFORE her legal age son voluntarily re-enlisted, he may have thought differently.  But since he was a legal consenting adult, free to make his own decisions, (and I'm operating under the assumption that he was mentally stable here), then his views of whether this war was justified or not seem to differ from Ms Sheehans.

So, can we assume the following about Ms Sheehan, based on her track record AFTER her son was killed??

A)...she thinks her son is a war monger for voluntarily reenlisting, knowing he was going to a war zone and would partake in this war??

B)..she thinks her son is an idiot (and now a dead one, for the reasons I listed in "A"??

C)..she feels inadequate because of the way she raised him, even though he was old enough to make decisions on his own without mommys help??

D)...  she feels it's the Republicans fault for the lads reenlisting ??  Was there a draft that I missed somewhere???

E)..Is the lad turning over in his (finally markered) grave once his mother started her protests??

Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours.

I'll do it tomorrow. :)

Written By: SemperYoda on 05/31/07 at 8:28 pm

Was there really anyone who questioned the urgency of the invasion before it started?  There were a few, but even alot of Democrats voted to go into Iraq.  We definitely didn't know then what we know now or see now.  We can sit here and have these debates while this war goes on and feel all great about ourselves because we are big badass America.  Has the general public really sacrificed a damn thing in this war besides some raised taxes.   

Did any of us know someone who has died or become forever broken due to this war?  If we have not lost a loved one in these type of circumstances, how can we tell how someone will react to the situation?  Its like ignoring the fact that soldiers are suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.     

I served in the United States Marine Corps.  I volunteered without my parents knowledge the first time I tried and the 2nd time they knew about it, but it didn't make it any easier.  But, regardless of them knowing that I had enlisted or not knowing, does this mean that they cant be sad if they lost me to a war?  There is hardly anything she probably could have done to change her sons mind to go.   

Yes, he was quite old enough to join and go off to die.  He made that choice.  But it doesn't make it any less hard if you sit down and realize that they didn't die for any reasons that were worth fighting for.  So maybe she realized this after her son was dead.  But, I guess if she didn't keep him out of the war before, then she doesn't have a right to speak up afterwards.   

Have you seen the movie Born on the Fourth of July?  Tom Cruises' character was all gung ho for the war in Vietnam.  KIll Those Commies.  But he gets shot and paralized.  He comes home to see how the government and America treats the forgotten heroes, and he becomes a war protestor.  Is there anything different there?  I guess he didn't have that right because he knew what he was getting into.  And heaven forbid someone changes their mind.  Like a born again Christian.  I guess they dont have that right to change the way they think either.

So, I guess now anyone who volunteers knows what they are getting into so their lives aren't worth a damn.  They are fodder to Americas growing insecurities.  It doesn't matter how many die cause they made the choice.  Whatever.  I would change my mind too if I realized that my child died for a country that could give too sh!ts of a f@ck about the troops.

A foul mouthed politician?  Well, I give her credit.  It takes alot of work to become just like our wonderful politicians. 

Written By: esoxslayer on 05/31/07 at 8:56 pm

I served in the Marine Corps as well......

There is a major difference between a). being sad due to the loss of a loved one and b). standing on a soapbox like Ms Sheehan has done.

I have lost good friends in Beirut, Desert Storm, and now the current situation.  I am also very close friends with a current active duty Marine, and one of his duties is being the Marine to notify parents of a loss of a Marine in their family, not to mention the many funeral details he's participated in, in fact in one month last fall he performed 3 of these ceremonies.

Ya know what???  NOT ONE of the parents of the Marines killed in action have said one bad word about the situation in Iraq that he has had contact with.  NOT ONE...NO trips to Cuba...NO trips to Venezuela....NO media appearances..NO chaining themselves to the White House fence....NO camping out in Texas....NADA!!

This woman has disrepected herself AND her son by behaving in this manner.

Maybe in the Corps it's different, maybe in the Corps you know that when you sign your name on the dotted line what it means and the ramifications that go along with it.

Maybe the majority of servicemen and women in the Armed Forces didn't just sign up for the easy college money grab.....and maybe some did. 

Maybe all of my Marine and former Marine buddies from the past 25 years are all wrong when we don't speak badly of the situation over there.  Maybe we chose to live by a higher standard and accept the fact that right or wrong, we will go or did go and perform our duty without question....

SemperYoda...your quote..."Yes, he was quite old enough to join and go off to die.  He made that choice.  But it doesn't make it any less hard if you sit down and realize that they didn't die for any reasons that were worth fighting for.  So maybe she realized this after her son was dead.  But, I guess if she didn't keep him out of the war before, then she doesn't have a right to speak up afterwards."  end quote...

Since the boy was of legal age to make his own decisions, what his mother thinks doesn't really matter does it??  What matters is that it appears HE believed in what he was doing and that the cause was just.  Apparently HE thought the reasons were worth it, and since it is HE that Ms Sheehan has disrespected, she has trampled on his honor and courage....

Semper Fi......

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/31/07 at 9:02 pm

I fully disagree with Ms. Sheehan but I also have to say that she certainly was "used" by her political "supporters".

Once her "supporters" saw that most of America was not buying her brand of soap, they kicked her to the curb.  Gives you an idea of just what her supporters think about the concept of loyalty.

While I do not like Sheehan I do have to say that she was not a hypocrite.  Something I cannot say for the "supporters" who threw her under the campaign bus.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/01/07 at 11:36 am

Was there really anyone who questioned the urgency of the invasion before it started?  There were a few, but even alot of Democrats voted to go into Iraq.  We definitely didn't know then what we know now or see now.  We can sit here and have these debates while this war goes on and feel all great about ourselves because we are big badass America.  Has the general public really sacrificed a damn thing in this war besides some raised taxes.   

Did any of us know someone who has died or become forever broken due to this war?  If we have not lost a loved one in these type of circumstances, how can we tell how someone will react to the situation?  Its like ignoring the fact that soldiers are suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.     

I served in the United States Marine Corps.  I volunteered without my parents knowledge the first time I tried and the 2nd time they knew about it, but it didn't make it any easier.  But, regardless of them knowing that I had enlisted or not knowing, does this mean that they cant be sad if they lost me to a war?  There is hardly anything she probably could have done to change her sons mind to go.   

Yes, he was quite old enough to join and go off to die.  He made that choice.  But it doesn't make it any less hard if you sit down and realize that they didn't die for any reasons that were worth fighting for.  So maybe she realized this after her son was dead.  But, I guess if she didn't keep him out of the war before, then she doesn't have a right to speak up afterwards.   

Have you seen the movie Born on the Fourth of July?  Tom Cruises' character was all gung ho for the war in Vietnam.  KIll Those Commies.  But he gets shot and paralized.  He comes home to see how the government and America treats the forgotten heroes, and he becomes a war protestor.  Is there anything different there?  I guess he didn't have that right because he knew what he was getting into.  And heaven forbid someone changes their mind.  Like a born again Christian.  I guess they dont have that right to change the way they think either.

So, I guess now anyone who volunteers knows what they are getting into so their lives aren't worth a damn.  They are fodder to Americas growing insecurities.  It doesn't matter how many die cause they made the choice.  Whatever.  I would change my mind too if I realized that my child died for a country that could give too sh!ts of a f@ck about the troops.

A foul mouthed politician?  Well, I give her credit.  It takes alot of work to become just like our wonderful politicians. 

Kharmaditto. 

Written By: Tia on 06/01/07 at 12:35 pm

well, i think the idea was that he enlisted with the assumption that he was going to iraq to fight al qaeda, defend america and avenge 911. if he'd have known he was actually going there to establish a foothold in a strategic oil region and advance republican partisan political interests in what the party plainly thought was going to be a quick and popular war that would cement their position as a "permanent majority," he might have felt differently. i dunno, he may still have thought those causes worth dying for, but i doubt it. it's tough to say someone "volunteers" for a war when they're lied to about why the war's being fought.

ms. sheehan definitely seemed to have a political ax to grind outside of the issue at hand, and i was never able to parse out whether she did the anti-war cause as much good as she did it harm by allowing pro-war people to smear all of us with an extremist brush. for activists i much prefer the 911 widows for truth.

but i think bush exploits america's war dead every time he gives a memorial day speech or uses 911 to force his morally and constitutionally bankrupt policies on us. he has no right to praise america when his policies are antithetical to her founding principles, and he has no right to praise soldiers who died upholding these same principles when he would plainly dismantle and destroy them, and largely has.

Written By: Tia on 06/01/07 at 12:43 pm

i wasn't able to read this whole article, but what i DID see actually made me like cindy sheehan more. i mean, "peace with realism" -- yes, in terms of government policy it's necessary for the democrats to compromise and regulate their speech in order to bring the war to an end. but i also have noticed that the rhetoric in the public square just doesn’t reflect my personal sense of outrage that so many lives have been lost and the country’s been damaged so profoundly for a needless and politically self-serving war for the republicans. why is it the right gets to indulge their venom and anger but the left has to continuously play nice? i’m glad this language is out there, it gives voice to the way i truly feel.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/01/07 at 2:19 pm

I love you so much!

well, i think the idea was that he enlisted with the assumption that he was going to iraq to fight al qaeda, defend america and avenge 911. if he'd have known he was actually going there to establish a foothold in a strategic oil region and advance republican partisan political interests in what the party plainly thought was going to be a quick and popular war that would cement their position as a "permanent majority," he might have felt differently. i dunno, he may still have thought those causes worth dying for, but i doubt it. it's tough to say someone "volunteers" for a war when they're lied to about why the war's being fought.

ms. sheehan definitely seemed to have a political ax to grind outside of the issue at hand, and i was never able to parse out whether she did the anti-war cause as much good as she did it harm by allowing pro-war people to smear all of us with an extremist brush. for activists i much prefer the 911 widows for truth.

but i think bush exploits america's war dead every time he gives a memorial day speech or uses 911 to force his morally and constitutionally bankrupt policies on us. he has no right to praise america when his policies are antithetical to her founding principles, and he has no right to praise soldiers who died upholding these same principles when he would plainly dismantle and destroy them, and largely has.

And I love you too!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/01/07 at 2:22 pm

You become a soldier with the knowledge that in a time of war you may be killed.  I cannot see the connection between driving to work and being a soldier during wartime.  Cindy Sheehan went beyond protesting an unjust war.  All I saw was a self-serving wannabe politician with a foul mouth. 

The highest cause of death for my age group is car accidents.  Driving a car is one of the most dangerous things a person can do, yet millions of people do it every day.  Your average American is far more likely to die in a car accident than your average U.S. soldier is likely to die in Iraq.  I realize that these soldiers know what they've gotten themselves into, just as I know what I'm getting myself into every time I get behind the wheel.  That doesn't mean it's hunky dorey if one of us dies.

Written By: spaceace on 06/01/07 at 2:41 pm

The highest cause of death for my age group is car accidents.  Driving a car is one of the most dangerous things a person can do, yet millions of people do it every day.  Your average American is far more likely to die in a car accident than your average U.S. soldier is likely to die in Iraq.  I realize that these soldiers know what they've gotten themselves into, just as I know what I'm getting myself into every time I get behind the wheel.  That doesn't mean it's hunky dorey if one of us dies.

You're comparing two totally different things.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/01/07 at 2:48 pm

You're comparing two totally different things.

I know that they're different.  I was just trying to think of an example.  I stand by my opinion that the fact that he volunteered to go to war doesn't make it ok that he died, and it doesn't mean that his mother doesn't have a right to protest.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/01/07 at 3:02 pm

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060213/060213_cheney_vsml_2p.widec.jpg

All I saw was a self-serving wannabe politician with a foul mouth.  

Ms. Sheehan was no saint.  Who the hell is?
But for those of you who now wish to villify her and nit-pick over her every motive and action, might I suggest you get a little perspective on the REAL VILLAINS?

If Casey Sheehan realized the war in (occupation of) Iraq and the "War on Terror" are both feints to further the interests of big business and the fascist state, perhaps he would have joined the anti-war protesters.  Those of you suggesting he was a fool for signing up would then call him a traitor for protesting.  At least he would still be alive instead of dying in vain. 

Young men and women of America, if you don't want to do your patriotic duty, just shut up and let the military-industrial complex rock 'n' roll!
::)

I mean come on, even Dennis Miller refused to ridicule Sheehan when O'Reilly provoked him.  That's saying a lot!

Written By: tokjct on 06/02/07 at 11:54 pm

file:///C:/Documents%2520and%2520Settings/Owner/My%2520Documents/My%2520Pictures/image064.jpg

This is my Vets for Peace group (Miami Chapter 32) with Cindy Sheehan last October.
I'm the guy on the left with the Straw Cowboy hat and the black shirt.

Written By: tokjct on 06/02/07 at 11:55 pm

file:///C:/Documents%2520and%2520Settings/Owner/My%2520Documents/My%2520Pictures/image064.jpg

This is my Vets for Peace group (Miami Chapter 32) with Cindy Sheehan last October.
I'm the guy on the left with the Straw Cowboy hat and the black shirt.

Written By: tokjct on 06/02/07 at 11:56 pm

I guess I don't know how to insert an image.

Can anyone help me on this?

peace...Lee

Written By: Green Lantern on 06/03/07 at 12:40 am

I guess I don't know how to insert an image.

Can anyone help me on this?

peace...Lee

If you right click on the Cheney image, then select 'view image', you should see this address come up in the url .....  (where the previous poster got the image from .... )

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060213/060213_cheney_vsml_2p.widec.jpg

To make that an image, drag across that whole line, right click, copy, then when making a 'reply', right click, paste (the url/ http line reappears, then  click on 'insert image' ( above winking face, and below I ... you should now see image tags ... at the beginning, and at the end. Now when you click on 'preview' you should see the pic.

Do I look familiar?  Nice to see you again Lee (tokjct).

Oh, and who was the %^&!#*^ $@(!

... who reckons I have a 'foul mouth' >:( >:( >:( :D
http://www.inthe00s.com/avatars_custom/avatar_9529.png

:)

P.S. I inserted spaces that you shouldn't , so that you'd see etc;

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/07 at 2:27 pm

^ OK, OK, there's no need to keep posting that horrorshow!  Sorry I brought it up!

:o

Written By: spaceace on 06/03/07 at 2:31 pm

^ OK, OK, there's no need to keep posting that horrorshow!  Sorry I brought it up!

Nightmare potential, eh Max? http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/errrr.gif

Written By: Green Lantern on 06/03/07 at 5:16 pm

A chain of Cheneys (3). Yes ... I suppose that IS bad. Sorry.  :-[ I'm in the bad books. Hope I won't be sent to work on the 'Cheney gang'  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...