» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: CALL THE RNC NOW!!! TELL THEM...

Written By: saver on 06/01/07 at 2:25 pm

Lending my support to those who make a point to the RNC...

Call and thell them you'll make a donation ONLY if they 1)Take away amnesty 2)Block the borders*!(not affiliated with BORDERS BOOKS).

THEY HAVE BEEN GETTING LOADS OF CALLS FROM cALIFORNIANS TODAY TO WHERE THEY ARE TICKED OFF FROM EVERYONE...GET WORD TO THEM TO TELL 'AMNESTY MEL' IN WASHINGTON TO GET THE MESSAGE!!!

WE CAN'T EVEN AFFORD TO HELP THE 'LEGALS' WHO NEED IT!

so there!

Subject: Re: CALL THE RNC NOW!!! TELL THEM...

Written By: Davester on 06/01/07 at 2:34 pm

I think the Republicans are supporting this because it helps undercut unions and provides cheap, legal labor to industry...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/01/07 at 3:20 pm

Dear Mr. Saver:

You are an average American.  The RNC and GWB do not care what you or the rest of the average Americans think.  They just want your vote.  Welcome to the real world.

--Maxwell

Written By: saver on 06/02/07 at 3:44 pm

Dear Mr. Saver:

You are an average American.  The RNC and GWB do not care what you or the rest of the average Americans think.  They just want your vote.  Welcome to the real world.

--Maxwell

Of course and that's how you get them to sweat...if you let them know you will not support them, THEY hear the grassroots vibes and 'hopefully' work on getting the word to the top people..

Now that they are hard up for getting solicitors for their causes as repoted by the LA Times that they lost a slew of their callers....

Not so good for them lately...and Bush saying the proposal is NOT 'AMNESTY' Puh-leeze!

Written By: KKay on 06/02/07 at 3:45 pm

mmmm....nah.

Written By: Tia on 06/02/07 at 3:51 pm

why did i know this would be about immigration? i so don't care about immigration.

they keep saying, these illegals! they go to our hospitals! they're taking all of our health care! they're taking all of our public services! they're gonna retire on our dime!

um... we don't HAVE any public health care? we have hardly any public services? and what are they gonna do, collect social security when they don't have a social security number?

it's so bizarre and irrational, this whole immigration flap. so after 8 years of bush's so-called governance i gather that america is going really well, and letting a bunch of foreigners in is going to make the country worse off, somehow? ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/07 at 5:17 pm

why did i know this would be about immigration? i so don't care about immigration.

they keep saying, these illegals! they go to our hospitals! they're taking all of our health care! they're taking all of our public services! they're gonna retire on our dime!

um... we don't HAVE any public health care? we have hardly any public services? and what are they gonna do, collect social security when they don't have a social security number?

it's so bizarre and irrational, this whole immigration flap. so after 8 years of bush's so-called governance i gather that america is going really well, and letting a bunch of foreigners in is going to make the country worse off, somehow? ::)

They don't care about illegal immigration.  Even racist pundits such as Pat Buchanan are not really going to be affected.  Taxes?  The rich diversify.  Everybody else pays.  The working classes compete only with the working classes foreign and domestic.  Rich people don't have to worry about access to healthcare.

We do have medicaid programs, public nutrition programs, and public housing programs.  These are stingy.  The people who matter to politicians all have so much money they will never have to worry about any of this.  Sure, Bill O'Reilly might say immigrants should get no entitlements, but he knows, just as all the multimilionaires know, that getting the poor/middle class to pay the medical bills for his gardner and his nanny is a much better deal than having to pay the costs himself.  Whether his gardner and his nanny are native-born or from abroad makes no difference, unless he can get Mexicans to work for half the rate of Americans.

If you cannot afford to hire private domestic servants and you still vote Republican, consider advantage taken of you!
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 06/02/07 at 6:26 pm

Whenever I am assaulted by this anti immigration drivel I want to shake who ever it is.  Read the history of your own darn ancestors, and don't give me the "it was different then" crap.  My idea is give green cards, unionize them, if nothing else they know how to throw a rally
When is the last time you saw "real americans" pull together something like this. (Woodstock maybe?)

http://dneiwert.blogspot.com/uploaded_images/Immigration%20rally-774894.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/07 at 10:26 am

So much for "Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses yearning to breathe".  ::)

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/07 at 2:16 pm

So much for "Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses yearning to breathe".  ::)

Cat

That's exactly the time when the nativists start talking about how it was different back then (as Danoota was saying).  The same ones who always say, "my ancestors came here legally."

The power brokers in this country will never be against illegal immigration so long as they benefit from it.  The Bushies had a much easier time selling their bogus tax cuts because the math was more abstract.

Written By: saver on 06/05/07 at 3:13 pm

Darn right to point out the ones from Yeeeears ago who came here LEGALLY to Ellis Island and 1)registered 2)had all appropriate health shots and followed the laws of the land!

Just as some make the point the 'arms' we have a roght to bear may not have included 'semi-automatic' wealpons as in the past MUSKETS were in use.....

We need to adapt!

And as far as those who employ the ILLEGALS..it should be 'their' butt in a sling...
You would have to know lettuce would NOT become $3.00 a head if legal workers picked it!
There are more legals working in agriculture than illegals....so others need to try another arguement angle. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/05/07 at 9:59 pm

Darn right to point out the ones from Yeeeears ago who came here LEGALLY to Ellis Island and 1)registered 2)had all appropriate health shots and followed the laws of the land!

Sometimes.  Sometimes not.  You know what WOP stands for?

Written By: danootaandme on 06/06/07 at 5:26 am

Sometimes.  Sometimes not.  You know what WOP stands for?

Or hear about the traffic between the Canadian border of Irish who weren't able to get in through Ellis Island and traveled in through Nova Scotia?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/06/07 at 9:00 am

Or hear about the traffic between the Canadian border of Irish who weren't able to get in through Ellis Island and traveled in through Nova Scotia?

I've heard people say, "Oh yeah, well if all those Mexicans were white and spoke English we wouldn't be having this debate."  Not true.  American nativists HATED the Irish for generations!  They were a bunch no-good, lazy, drunken, funny-talking papists who who committed crime and bred like rabbits!

Top o' da marnin' to ye!

Written By: danootaandme on 06/06/07 at 10:00 am

I've heard people say, "Oh yeah, well if all those Mexicans were white and spoke English we wouldn't be having this debate."  Not true.  American nativists HATED the Irish for generations!  They were a bunch no-good, lazy, drunken, funny-talking papists who who committed crime and bred like rabbits!

Top o' da marnin' to ye!

It drives me absolutely crazy that that is a forgotten(by some) chapter in history.  Anti-Irish feelings were virulent, and it bothers me when people of Irish descent talk about the oppression by the English without seeing how orange they have become.  "How The Irish Became White", by Noel Ignatiev is a good start.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/06/07 at 12:36 pm

First it was the Irish, then it was the Southern and Eastern Europeans (Italians, Russians, Poles, etc), and now the Mexicans. I'm sure most people know about the quotas-so many immigrants from each country. And those quotas have always been very bias. Of course people from Great Britain ALWAYS had the highest quotas. An interesting story, my great-great (?) grandfather was originally from either Poland or Russia (can't remember which one). He moved his family from that country to Germany, changed the family name to a more German sounding name and then applied for immigration to the U.S. because he knew the quota for Germans were much higher than for his birth country.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/06/07 at 1:07 pm

First it was the Irish, then it was the Southern and Eastern Europeans (Italians, Russians, Poles, etc), and now the Mexicans. I'm sure most people know about the quotas-so many immigrants from each country. And those quotas have always been very bias. Of course people from Great Britain ALWAYS had the highest quotas. An interesting story, my great-great (?) grandfather was originally from either Poland or Russia (can't remember which one). He moved his family from that country to Germany, changed the family name to a more German sounding name and then applied for immigration to the U.S. because he knew the quota for Germans were much higher than for his birth country.

Cat

Thanks to present-day Big Brother technology, he wouldn't have been able to do that now.

I think what a lot of corporations/rich people would like is a permanent non-citizen underclass with no rights.  That way they could similarly exploit native-born workers under threat of hiring "guest workers."  If it was practical to haul the guest workers over the border for the day and send them back at night, the bosses would do that!

WORKERS OF THE WORLD UNITE!

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/06/07 at 2:12 pm

It drives me absolutely crazy that that is a forgotten(by some) chapter in history.  Anti-Irish feelings were virulent, and it bothers me when people of Irish descent talk about the oppression by the English without seeing how orange they have become.  "How The Irish Became White", by Noel Ignatiev is a good start.

That's really interesting,i must look for that,is it a book? Or an essay,Danoota?
My ex-boyfriend was irish and he was always telling me how they see themselves as the blacks from Europe,and then they went to America and made it a big point in separating from africans,in a way to surpass them,to be considered "better" in the eyes of the employers. It's a vicious cycle,you know? Races and people who are oppressed often abandon their culture in order to fit in,sometimes to the point of repudiate their own kind and the ones who went through the same discrimination as them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/06/07 at 2:28 pm

Thanks to present-day Big Brother technology, he wouldn't have been able to do that now.

I think what a lot of corporations/rich people would like is a permanent non-citizen underclass with no rights.  That way they could similarly exploit native-born workers under threat of hiring "guest workers."  If it was practical to haul the guest workers over the border for the day and send them back at night, the bosses would do that!

WORKERS OF THE WORLD UNITE!

I find it very interesting when I watched the Repub. debate last night on CNN, most-if not all-of them were saying how illegal immigration is the most important issue right now and how it is a homeland security issue. Of course we all know that having Jose picking our apples and Juanita cleaning our toilets really poses such a security threat.  ::)

We all know WHAT the real issue here is-RACISM!!!! I don't care what anyone says, this so-called problem is the fact that people who may be a different color than us and speak a different language may actually WANT to be part of this so-called great nation of ours. Because most complaints are about people who come from Mexico. I have never heard any complaint about someone who came ashore on a rickety boat from Cuba. They never filed any paperwork to come here legally. And IMO, that makes them illegal immigrants.

And yes, it is also about people wanting to exploit workers-no matter where they are from. So, you have one group of people arguing that these people are doing jobs that Americans wont do. Well, I'm sure a lot people wouldn't mind shoving sh!t if they were paid a decent wage for doing it. And then you have the people who blame the fact that Americans can't get decent jobs because all the immigrants (legal or illegal) are taking them and they can't get any health care because all the immigrants are taking it. It is all a CROCK OF DOG DOODOO if you ask me. The problem is NOT the fact that people come over here to try to better themselves and their families. The problem is that employers send good paying job overseas and (ironically) to Mexico so they can exploit cheap labor. The problem has to do with the fact that the U.S. does not take care of its own people and then they blame others for the fact that this country is such a mess. These immigrants (legal & illegal) are now the scapegoats for a system that is totally f**ked up.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/06/07 at 9:47 pm

If Aesop was alive today, he'd write a fable about the scapegoat and the red herring.

The racism is a play on our fear and jealousy.  The Mexican is crossing the Rio Grande to mug your brother, rape your sister, and steal your job. 

If you can get American voters to blame poor Mexicans for their problems, those who drive the levers of power---such as corporate executives and politicians in high office---face no threat.

The trouble for the Repugs is they want their cake for the having and eating.  If only they could get the public to simultaneously despise immigrants and approve of the rich and the powerful retaining the same immigrants as domestics and employees.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/07/07 at 5:36 am

That's really interesting,i must look for that,is it a book? Or an essay,Danoota?
My ex-boyfriend was irish and he was always telling me how they see themselves as the blacks from Europe,and then they went to America and made it a big point in separating from africans,in a way to surpass them,to be considered "better" in the eyes of the employers. It's a vicious cycle,you know? Races and people who are oppressed often abandon their culture in order to fit in,sometimes to the point of repudiate their own kind and the ones who went through the same discrimination as them.

Your ex is right on the mark.  The biggest problem with "race relations" is that the underclasses are woefully uninformed of their own histories.  It is a book, probably available everywhere

http://www.darkfiber.com/blackirish/Howthe-IrishbecameWhite-med.jpg

Written By: saver on 06/07/07 at 2:23 pm

I find it very interesting when I watched the Repub. debate last night on CNN, most-if not all-of them were saying how illegal immigration is the most important issue right now and how it is a homeland security issue. Of course we all know that having Jose picking our apples and Juanita cleaning our toilets really poses such a security threat.  ::)

We all know WHAT the real issue here is-RACISM!!!! I don't care what anyone says, this so-called problem is the fact that people who may be a different color than us and speak a different language may actually WANT to be part of this so-called great nation of ours. Because most complaints are about people who come from Mexico. I have never heard any complaint about someone who came ashore on a rickety boat from Cuba. They never filed any paperwork to come here legally. And IMO, that makes them illegal immigrants.

Cat

Illegal activity is not a race issue. Mexican or whatever background....

Cubans making it on shore have been given the right to remain as citizens....

NOTE TO REPUBS: WHERE IS THAT FENCE!!!!!??????

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/07/07 at 8:00 pm

^ Yeah, Cubans live under tyrannical oppression, like the Venezuelans.  The rest of Latin America are ingrates.  They don't appreciate how great they have it!
:D

Written By: saver on 06/08/07 at 1:57 pm

^ Yeah, Cubans live under tyrannical oppression, like the Venezuelans.  The rest of Latin America are ingrates.  They don't appreciate how great they have it!
:D

Hmm if only the Latin Americans can VOTE who they want to run their country and do away with the poverty, oppression and illegal activists....what a concept! :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...