» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Expectant Mother Found dead,... Cop Boyfriend Arrested

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/24/07 at 4:54 pm

You all have probably read about the expectant mother who went missing in Ohio and who has now been found dead.  She was the mistress of a policeman.

The cops have come out and have basically said (in not so many words) that htis guy "went bad" and that they're basically gonna throw the book at him.

The cop is black.  I somehow kinda think that if he were white, the cops would be saying "Well innocent until proven guilty blah-blah-blah".

I am guessing that this guy did the deed, don't get me wrong.  But it seems easier for police figures to publically kick him to the curb because he's black...

Subject: Re: Expectant Mother Found dead,... Cop Boyfriend Arrested

Written By: statsqueen on 06/24/07 at 8:20 pm

You all have probably read about the expectant mother who went missing in Ohio and who has now been found dead.  She was the mistress of a policeman.

The cops have come out and have basically said (in not so many words) that htis guy "went bad" and that they're basically gonna throw the book at him.

The cop is black.  I somehow kinda think that if he were white, the cops would be saying "Well innocent until proven guilty blah-blah-blah".

I am guessing that this guy did the deed, don't get me wrong.  But it seems easier for police figures to publically kick him to the curb because he's black...

While I might agree with you to a certain extent, you need to look at all the trouble he has gotten himself in the course of his career.  It isn't like he was a model cop who suddenly "went bad"--he has had extensive investigations and problems in most of his years as a cop--and Canton knew that when they hired him (he had just done a suspension at his previous job when they hired him).  They also arrested a female.  He is married (separated), is the father of this woman's 2 y.o, the father of the child she was carrying and is "baby daddy" of 2 other kids by 2 other women (didn't say if one of them was his wife or if these were in addition to).  While I agree there is still a lot of discrimination in this country, he brought all of this on himself and shouldn't expect not to be kicked to the curb.  I wouldn't worry too much, though.  Last I heard he was on PAID administrative leave!  Not many employers would continue to pay someone their salary while they were arrested, arraigned on 2 murder charges.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/24/07 at 9:27 pm

This is such a sad story...I was SO hoping that they would have found her alive...but I knew it would have been too good to be true. :( :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 06/24/07 at 9:39 pm

I wanted her to be found alive, but with the way the world goes today, I knew this was coming :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/07 at 12:06 am

Greta Van Susteren is making a career out of this stuff.

Are these horrible and sad crimes?  Of course.

The issue is statistical. 

Out of a population of 300+ million people there will always be a missing child/college student/expectant mom.  There will always be muderous jealous lover, a murderous parent, a murderous gangbanger.

The media is making this a spectator sport.  If there is no threat to the general public the only reason for stretching thse stories from initial report to investigation and search to capture and aftermath is for entertainment.

I'm going to catch hell for saying this, but so be it.

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/25/07 at 12:15 am

This is such a sad story...I was SO hoping that they would have found her alive...but I knew it would have been too good to be true. :( :\'(

I felt the same way, although I knew deep in my heart this story would end tragically. My heart goes out to her family, especially her 2 year old son.  :\'( :\'(

Written By: Red Ant on 06/25/07 at 1:17 am

Greta Van Susteren is making a career out of this stuff.

Are these horrible and sad crimes?  Of course.

The issue is statistical. 

Out of a population of 300+ million people there will always be a missing child/college student/expectant mom.  There will always be murderous jealous lover, a murderous parent, a murderous gangbanger.

The media is making this a spectator sport.  If there is no threat to the general public the only reason for stretching these stories from initial report to investigation and search to capture to aftermath is for entertainment.

If by "I'm going to catch hell..." means receiving a karma point, then you are correct.

Here's how news shows generally go:

*BREAKING NEWS!* (usually about someone being shot, stabbed, gunned down, involved in a fatal car accident, burned out of their home, etc... IOW, something that happens every day, but, since it is horrible news, it MUST GO FIRST!)

~Iraq Death Toll count

~~Commercial

~Local News: Mostly who's wanted by the cops for crimes not quite worthy of being breaking news.

~Sports (who's getting suspended this week for off-the-field conduct, and a few things that are actually interesting)

~~Commercial

~Weather (I live in VA: just tell me the weather is going to suck - at least then they'd be honest and follow the rest of their news program's dismal reporting)

~~Commercial

~Some strange/odd story that is actually entertaining and/or informative

~Blurbs for tomorrow's headlines

~~Commercial

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for this "news" story, I truly feel sorry for this woman, her family, friends, and unborn child. Apparently she was 8+ months pregnant. Add in premeditated murder. Shake, and voila! This cop is going to get the death penalty... or at least he should. FWIW, I don't think any racial issues should have anything to do with the trial, or my opinion that this person needs to be removed from the face of the planet asap. Besides, a bad cop would last about a week in prison, and probably get shanked to death after being gang raped anyway. I'd take the needle, thank you. If he has any brains at all, he would choose the same option as I. Of course, killing a pregnant woman doesn't exactly scream "Mr. IQ" to me.

You were saying?

Written By: spaceace on 06/25/07 at 10:30 am

If they were both black this probably wouldn't have it the new the way it did.  The media cherry-picks what it wants to cover.  This may be off point maybe not but I don't think the Shaivo thing would have gotten the media coverage it did if Terri were either black or a lesbian or both.

Written By: SemperYoda on 06/25/07 at 11:08 am

If they were both black this probably wouldn't have it the new the way it did.  The media cherry-picks what it wants to cover.  This may be off point maybe not but I don't think the Shaivo thing would have gotten the media coverage it did if Terri were either black or a lesbian or both.

Terry looked like a vegetable to me.

Written By: spaceace on 06/25/07 at 11:32 am

Terry looked like a vegetable to me.

Tell that to Bill Frist and Jeb Bush.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/25/07 at 12:01 pm

Max and Spaceace, you are both right. There was a missing pregnant woman in Philadelphia a few years back (maybe 2) and her story got only about 15 minutes. While my heart goes out to the family, especially the toddler, Jessie Davis's story was stretched out too much as if they wanted to have another Lacey Peterson moment. The overcoverage wasn't fair at all.

Unfortunately, this isn't a new phenomenon (the murder of a pregnant woman). A pregnant woman in the USA is more likely to be murdered than to die in another fashion (e.g. in labor). Yet, some places, Fox News mainly tried to act as if it's some new phenomenon. What's even more agitating is that they tried to make it seem as if she was angelic. Hello, but having an affair and children with a married man takes you off that list. Not saying she deserved it at all, but it didn't help her.

All I'm saying is that they'd better give fair play/coverage to other missing pregnant women. As one myself, I asked my hubby if they would cover my story. He said the only reason is that I am educated woman living in the suburbs with a father in law that's a major executive in the L.A. scheme of life. In addition, I'm fair-skinned; however, if I was a dark-skinned black woman without these qualities, it wouldn't be covered.

Written By: spaceace on 06/25/07 at 12:57 pm

Max and Spaceace, you are both right. There was a missing pregnant woman in Philadelphia a few years back (maybe 2) and her story got only about 15 minutes. While my heart goes out to the family, especially the toddler, Jessie Davis's story was stretched out too much as if they wanted to have another Lacey Peterson moment. The overcoverage wasn't fair at all.

Unfortunately, this isn't a new phenomenon (the murder of a pregnant woman). A pregnant woman in the USA is more likely to be murdered than to die in another fashion (e.g. in labor). Yet, some places, Fox News mainly tried to act as if it's some new phenomenon. What's even more agitating is that they tried to make it seem as if she was angelic. Hello, but having an affair and children with a married man takes you off that list. Not saying she deserved it at all, but it didn't help her.

All I'm saying is that they'd better give fair play/coverage to other missing pregnant women. As one myself, I asked my hubby if they would cover my story. He said the only reason is that I am educated woman living in the suburbs with a father in law that's a major executive in the L.A. scheme of life. In addition, I'm fair-skinned; however, if I was a dark-skinned black woman without these qualities, it wouldn't be covered.

Thank you. 

Written By: danootaandme on 06/25/07 at 1:05 pm

Happened in Boston. The mother was 16 and her mother went to the cops and they just wrote it off as a runaway, which the girl had never done.  It took weeks of pleading to get someone to listen to her.

Written By: spaceace on 06/25/07 at 1:09 pm

Happened in Boston. The mother was 16 and her mother went to the cops and they just wrote it off as a runaway, which the girl had never done.  It took weeks of pleading to get someone to listen to her.

It really dreadful when they take a person's race into consideration on whether to or not to take a case into consideration.  That kind of stuff happens everywhere.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/07 at 1:40 pm

You were saying?

Karma +1.

"It's interesting when people die/
We need dirty laundry!"
--Don Henley, 1982

What has changed in 25 years is the 24-hour cable news cycle in which they have only 1 hour's worth of need-to-know news to report.  Of course, the network execs will say: "It's the viewers who decide what they need to know.  If they don't like it, they'll tune out and our ratings will drop."  As the FOX News slogan goes, "We Report, You Decide!"

Hopelessly naive.

As anti-television activist Jerry Mander (yes, that's his real name), a former advertising executive, figured out in the mid-'70s: You don't tell television, television tells you.  Television is an undemocratic medium. The viewer has some choice, but they are all choices pre-determined by the corporations in the interest of the corporations.  It's sort of like what Henry Ford said about the Model-T:  "You can choose any color you like, so long as it's black."  What has transpired in the world of TV over the past 30 years--cable, satellite, home-recording devices, 24-hour news networks, specialized channels--has not diminished what Mander said in 1977, it has amplified it.*

* Jerry Mander: Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television (Harper Perennial)
http://www.netreach.net/~kaufman/Jerry.Mander.html

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/07 at 1:45 pm

Tell that to Bill Frist and Jeb Bush.

"Call any vegetable...and the chances are good...that the vegetable will respond to you!"
--Frank Zappa

(Terry Schiavo isn't a vegetable, ketchup is a vegetable)
:D

Which case was this?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/25/07 at 4:50 pm

Danoota, is that the recent case, and the girl's black right? Her sister was calling for help finding her. Am I close by any chance?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/25/07 at 5:19 pm

Well for what it is worth, the GOOD part of all of this is that Northeastern Ohio juries are not very tolerant of this sort of behaviour.

A very VERY distant relative of mine was convicted of killing his GF and her toddler, then stuffing them into a freezer. Not too far from the area of this crime.  He was convicted in record time and he actually did get executed a few years ago.  While he was a relative of mine I was glad to see that waste of DNA get his due punishment.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/25/07 at 6:20 pm

"Call any vegetable...and the chances are good...that the vegetable will respond to you!"
--Frank Zappa

(Terry Schiavo isn't a vegetable, ketchup is a vegetable)
:D
Which case was this?

Forget the name. The girl was buried in Franklin Park, the boyfriend beat her then buried her.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/07 at 7:36 pm

Forget the name. The girl was buried in Franklin Park, the boyfriend beat her then buried her.

OK, now I remember the case.  I don't remember the name either.  That was totally horrendous!

Check for new replies or respond here...