» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Car With Suspect Package Found In Central London

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/07 at 1:53 am

The news is sketchy at the moment, but since 2am this morning, the police haveing been dealing a car with expolsives in Piccadilly.

Subject: Re: Car With Suspect Package Found In Central London

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/07 at 3:03 am

The latest report can be read here.

The  "potentially viable explosive device" has been made safe.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/07 at 6:28 am

Further news can be read here.

The police have confirmed it contained gas cylinders and petrol with a fuse. Terrible carnage would have have happen to central London if it had gone off.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/29/07 at 9:47 am

I have been following this, and the car was abandoned after it was involved in an accident.

And while the initial consideration was that it was aimed at the nightclub, people are also looking into the path it was taking.  The location where it crashed is only a few blocks from 10 Downing Street.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/07 at 9:51 am

I have been following this, and the car was abandoned after it was involved in an accident.

And while the initial consideration was that it was aimed at the nightclub, people are also looking into the path it was taking.  The location where it crashed is only a few blocks from 10 Downing Street.
True, Downing Street is not far away, also close by is Buckingham Palace. But producing targets is only speculation, for the truth is not known or be known.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/07 at 10:06 am

Later part of London's Park Lane was closed to traffic after reports of a suspicious vehicle.

A Scotland Yard spokeswoman said that Park Lane was closed at Marble Arch to Hyde Park Corner and a 200m cordon put in place.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/07 at 4:14 pm

Police now say two separate explosive devices have been found in cars parked in London's West End.

The first bomb, made of 60 litres of petrol, gas cylinders and nails, was found in a Mercedes outside a nightclub in Haymarket at 0130 BST.

Police say the second device was found in a Mercedes in a Park Lane car park after it had been towed away from Cockspur Street, near Trafalgar Square.

Both devices were "viable" and "clearly linked", police said.

At a news conference on Friday evening, Deputy Assistant Commissioner Peter Clarke, head of Scotland Yard's counter-terrorism command, said the discovery of the second device was "obviously troubling".

"There was a considerable amount of fuel and gas canisters, as in the first vehicle. There was also a substantial quantity of nails," he said.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/29/07 at 7:22 pm

It's not the wired car you find it's the wired care you don't find!
:o

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/29/07 at 9:28 pm

It's not the wired car you find it's the wired care you don't find!

They go to war with the dumbarses they have, not the dumbarses they wish they had...

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/07 at 6:10 am

I just hope that they catch the Anglican Fundamentalists who perpretrated this crime.  >:(

Written By: Mushroom on 06/30/07 at 8:50 am

I just hope that they catch the Anglican Fundamentalists who perpretrated this crime.  >:(

Anglican Fundamentalists?  Well, that might be if it was in Ireland.

And this is not likely to be the IRA.  The IRA does have a history of bombings, but they also have a history of striking at "Legitimate Targets", like military and police barracks.  And they also have a history of calling in a warning first, to give the Police a chance to evacuate the area first.  That way they can eliminate the "Fascist Coppers" while keeping civilian casualties down to a minimum.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/07 at 12:33 pm

And this is not likely to be the IRA.  The IRA does have a history of bombings, but they also have a history of striking at "Legitimate Targets", like military and police barracks.  And they also have a history of calling in a warning first, to give the Police a chance to evacuate the area first.  That way they can eliminate the "Fascist Coppers" while keeping civilian casualties down to a minimum.

I disagree.  The mantra of modern-day findamentalists is to kill more of their own people than of the "enemy".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/07 at 12:40 pm

Ya dat's roit, we 'ate the bleedin' fascist coppers!

Anglican fundamentalists are more likely to get themselves killed in some misguided allegiance to some or other whackjob neo-messiah!
:P

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/07 at 2:55 pm

The UK's national terrorism threat level has been raised to "critical" after attacks in Glasgow and London.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown urged the public to be vigilant and added: "I know the British people will stand together, united and resolute."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/07 at 3:20 pm

The UK's national terrorism threat level has been raised to "critical" after attacks in Glasgow and London.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown urged the public to be vigilant and added: "I know the British people will stand together, united and resolute."

Hey, at least he didn't have too much stress his first week in office!

Written By: philbo on 07/02/07 at 12:24 pm

Hey, at least he didn't have too much stress his first week in office!

Just Brown trousers?

I thought Jacqui Smith did remarkably well: as the new Home Secretary, less than 24 hours into a job she hadn't planned on (unlike Gordon who'd been planning what to do for about ten years)... first thing that happens: kaboom! (or nearly, anyway).

Seems like one of the cars was towed... I would say "lucky there's no trembler devices", but I don't think these sort of bombers would have the intelligence for that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/02/07 at 7:41 pm

Just Brown trousers?

Heh heh!  I missed the pun first time around!
:P

Written By: karen on 07/03/07 at 3:42 am

Hmmm except for Manchester (200 shoppers injured) and Warrington (2 children killed and 56 people injured), the Birmingham pub bombs (21 killed), City of London etc etc

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/07 at 5:17 am

A suspect package was found in Hammersmith in London today, the police had the area rope off in like a ten foot square, but the pedestrians were still allowed to walk past.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/03/07 at 5:56 am

Apparently amongst the perps rounded up by the bobbies are British born, Indian Born, Iraqi, Aussie and Jordanian/Palestinian.

I wonder what cause they all share in common that compels them to be terrorists? ???

The news stories say they are all doctors, so it does not appear that poverty is their cause.

Hmm.....

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/07 at 6:08 am

A suspect package was found in Hammersmith in London today, the police had the area rope off in like a ten foot square, but the pedestrians were still allowed to walk past.
This is what I saw about two hours ago

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42455000/jpg/_42455474_tube203b_getty.jpg

Read more here.

Written By: philbo on 07/03/07 at 1:22 pm

I wonder what cause they all share in common that compels them to be terrorists? ???

Well, something they all share seems to be a lack of brains... the Register summed it up nicely here, with an even better follow-up here.

I was kind of hoping that by now there would be some indication of what the intended explosive was... instead, it seems very much like there wasn't any - it was only the propane cylinders, the petrol and some shapnel.  Nothing to make them go "boom" at all.

Maybe that's what happens if you send doctors in as suicide troops...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/07 at 1:28 pm

Well, something they all share seems to be a lack of brains... the Register summed it up nicely here, with an even better follow-up here.

I was kind of hoping that by now there would be some indication of what the intended explosive was... instead, it seems very much like there wasn't any - it was only the propane cylinders, the petrol and some shapnel.  Nothing to make them go "boom" at all.

Maybe that's what happens if you send doctors in as suicide troops...
The ignition was to be set off by a mobile phone, but somehow it did not work. It was from these moblie phones gathered up in evidence, that has given the police leads in searching for the assailants.

Written By: philbo on 07/03/07 at 1:38 pm

The ignition was to be set off by a mobile phone, but somehow it did not work. It was from these moblie phones gathered up in evidence, that has given the police leads in searching for the assailants.

But what was supposed to explode? ISTM that there were *no explosives*, just petrol and (intact) gas cylinders.  All this gumpf about "if it had gone off" - if the petrol had ignited and burned for long enough to weaken the gas cylinders (not guaranteed under any circumstance), then you might (and even then it's a "might") have got a bang rather than (as the bomb disposal expert in the second Register article says) a big pretty fireball which will do no real damage to anything.

I mean, the petrol was lit quite successfully in Glasgow, but it still didn't go bang - gas cylinders are pretty sturdy things (if you've ever dropped one on your toe, you'll know exactly what I mean), so a few minutes of petrol fire simply ain't going to touch them.

There has been a lot of talk on the BBC about "in a technique perfected in Iraq" - I wouldn't mind betting that even if the Iraqi bombs use gas cylinders, petrol and buckets of nails, they also have a bit of semtex, too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/07 at 3:40 pm

Eight people arrested in connection with failed car bombings in Glasgow and London all have links with the National Health Service, the BBC has learned.

Seven are believed to be doctors or medical students, while one formerly worked as a laboratory technician.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/03/07 at 7:29 pm

Hmmm except for Manchester (200 shoppers injured) and Warrington (2 children killed and 56 people injured), the Birmingham pub bombs (21 killed), City of London etc etc

People make a big deal about some American Muslims sympathizing with Islamic terrorists, and yet they shrug when you tell them some Irish Americans support the IRA.  Go pubbing in South Boston some time and ask around (and you better not come off like you don't support the IRA, just to be on the safe side!)

Written By: La Roche on 07/03/07 at 8:28 pm

Thank you, a point I was about to make.

The IRA are in no way shape or form a 'para-military' group, a political group or anything else, they're a bunch of scummy Fenian bastards who like nothing better than blowing up some children once in a while. Virulent scum.

People make a big deal about some American Muslims sympathizing with Islamic terrorists, and yet they shrug when you tell them some Irish Americans support the IRA.  Go pubbing in South Boston some time and ask around (and you better not come off like you don't support the IRA, just to be on the safe side!)

Well, Boston is a blight that wants wiping off the earth, don't worry Max, I'll give you fair warning to pack up and leave when I finally get hold of a nuke.  ;)

But seriously, it's the same thing all over the U.S (well, maybe not the west coast, the Fenians don't seem to be too keen on mountaineering) you're right, American Fenians for the most part turn a blind eye to the barbaric acts of the Irish Republican Azzholes.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/03/07 at 9:25 pm

But what was supposed to explode? ISTM that there were *no explosives*, just petrol and (intact) gas cylinders.  All this gumpf about "if it had gone off" - if the petrol had ignited and burned for long enough to weaken the gas cylinders (not guaranteed under any circumstance), then you might (and even then it's a "might") have got a bang rather than (as the bomb disposal expert in the second Register article says) a big pretty fireball which will do no real damage to anything.

Nothing was supposed to explode.  The bombers were as ignorant about the difference between detonation (explosion) and conflagration (burning) as the news reporters and the general public. 

The ignorance is great if you're the government:  The people are easily scared into thinking about how much worse it could have been, and you get to advance your domestic agenda.  Plus, you don't even have to worry about the bad guys, because if this is the best they can pull off, you'll look better every time they fail!

Note to self:  Make sure that bomb disposal expert never gets another interview.  He's letting the cat out of the bag.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/04/07 at 12:13 am

Thank you, a point I was about to make.

The IRA are in no way shape or form a 'para-military' group, a political group or anything else, they're a bunch of scummy Fenian bastards who like nothing better than blowing up some children once in a while. Virulent scum.

Well, Boston is a blight that wants wiping off the earth, don't worry Max, I'll give you fair warning to pack up and leave when I finally get hold of a nuke.  ;)

But seriously, it's the same thing all over the U.S (well, maybe not the west coast, the Fenians don't seem to be too keen on mountaineering) you're right, American Fenians for the most part turn a blind eye to the barbaric acts of the Irish Republican Azzholes.

I'm about 90 miles out from Boston.  You know, Massachusetts goes quite a ways west from Boston.  You know who forgets that the most?  The azzholes on Beacon Hill and the Azzholes who got work every day under that golden capitol dome!
Some Westerners get so frustrated they propose seceding from Massachusetts and joining Vermont...which presumes Vermonters want anything to do with it...and besides, that would be going from overlooked to disappearing down a political blackhole!
Boston does NOT need to be wiped off the Earth, it's a fine city.  What it needs is a bigtime political housecleaning---HUTU STYLE!  Yeah, yeah, people badmouthed Teddy Kennedy clear across the country, but they never met a true turdball like Tom Finneran or Billy Bulger!
And it ain't just the Democratic machine.  We needed Mitt Romney like a hole in the head (or a hole in the ground!)
::)

And those "Fenian" creeps need to put away the Guiness and turn off the Pogues 'coz they don't even know how to pronounce the word "Celtic"!

Written By: karen on 07/04/07 at 5:21 am

Nothing was supposed to explode.  The bombers were as ignorant about the difference between detonation (explosion) and conflagration (burning) as the news reporters and the general public. 

They've all watched too many Hollywood films where a car has a slight bump and then bursts into flames

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/07 at 3:00 pm

Two men arrested in connection with the failed car bomb attacks in Glasgow and London in June have been released without charge.

The men, aged 28 and 25, had been arrested by Strathclyde Police at the residences of the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley on 2 July.

Three people have been charged so far in connection with the failed attacks.

Check for new replies or respond here...