» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Winston Churchill dropped from British school curriculum

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/16/07 at 9:15 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/newscomment.html?in_article_id=468419&in_page_id=1787

Or is there something I am missing?  Is there more to the story?
This just does not make any sense.

I disagree with right-wingers on 9 out of 10 issues.  One of the minority of issues I agree with them on his the decline of educational standards and the therapeutic approach to teaching.  The Right uses the term "political correctness," which I eschew because it is a perverted buzzword.  By "therapeutic" I mean constructing course material around concern with the "feelings" and "self-esteem" of the students

Those who don't know history are condemned to repeat it. 

The loss of history, civics, and philosophy in school curricula delivers a devastating blow to the intellectual development of the students.

Mind you, I completely disagree with the Right's "patriotic education" agenda, which would send us straight back to George Washington chopping down his father's cherry trees!  Nor am I in favor of the leftist radical approach, which would demonize Western civilization at every turn. 

I am for a rigorous curriculum that presents history as what happened whether we like it or not.

Anway, this blurb about the British Public Schools not teaching students about Winston Churchill is beyond my comprehension.  I know I'm repeating myself, but it bears repeating: It makes no sense at all.  Anybody have the straight scoop?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/conf.gif

Subject: Re: Winston Churchill dropped from British school curriculum

Written By: philbo on 07/17/07 at 4:17 am

Have to admit that I've not seen this anywhere else - it's hard to believe that the Torygraph would have missed the chance to decry it in the same sort of way...

One note: over here "Public" schools are the same as "Private" schools, i.e. ones you have to pay to get your children into.  Don't ask me why... schools run by the public, rather than by the state?  Possibly.  But public schools have to follow the same core national curriculum as state schools, so it'd be true for them also.

The funny thing is that the Mail (like the Torygraph, on occasion) runs articles damning the national curriculum for being too prescriptive and not giving teachers enough freedom to teach... then runs articles complaining about what is removed from the curriculum.  ISTM that they want children to be force-fed an ever-growing mountain of information that matches precisely what their own prejudice happens to be.

Written By: spaceace on 07/17/07 at 10:00 am

to try and erase something that is perceived to be slightly unpleasant is absurd.  Just look at American History text books.  No wonder kids don't know anything about history.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/17/07 at 5:32 pm

I saw scores of far-right blogs and far-right "news" sites when I googled this query.  I first heard it from that crackpop David Horwitz on FOX News.  These are not reliable sources when it comes to questions of education and public policy.  That's why I'm suspicious.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/18/07 at 6:14 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/newscomment.html?in_article_id=468419&in_page_id=1787

Or is there something I am missing?  Is there more to the story?
This just does not make any sense.

I disagree with right-wingers on 9 out of 10 issues.  One of the minority of issues I agree with them on his the decline of educational standards and the therapeutic approach to teaching.  The Right uses the term "political correctness," which I eschew because it is a perverted buzzword.  By "therapeutic" I mean constructing course material around concern with the "feelings" and "self-esteem" of the students

Those who don't know history are condemned to repeat it. 

The loss of history, civics, and philosophy in school curricula delivers a devastating blow to the intellectual development of the students.

Mind you, I completely disagree with the Right's "patriotic education" agenda, which would send us straight back to George Washington chopping down his father's cherry trees!  Nor am I in favor of the leftist radical approach, which would demonize Western civilization at every turn. 

I am for a rigorous curriculum that presents history as what happened whether we like it or not.

Anway, this blurb about the British Public Schools not teaching students about Winston Churchill is beyond my comprehension.  I know I'm repeating myself, but it bears repeating: It makes no sense at all.  Anybody have the straight scoop?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/conf.gif

They are probably buying their textbooks from someplace in Texas

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/18/07 at 6:24 pm

On FOX, they lionize Winston Churchill, demonize Ward Churchill, and understand neither!
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...