» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Few Muslims 'back suicide bombs' - BBC Article

Written By: philbo on 07/25/07 at 4:13 am

BBC Article here

Fairly sparse in detail, so I went and had a look for the original Pew Research survey

There's some very interesting (and some quite staggering) figures there, especially when you look at the difference in optimism levels between the poorer and richer countries (let's see if they allow remote linking):
http://pewresearch.org/assets/publications/549-5.gif

The section whence the BBC drew their headline is this:
Among the most striking trends in predominantly Muslim nations is the continuing decline in the number saying that suicide bombing and other forms of violence against civilians are justifiable in the defense of Islam. In Lebanon, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Indonesia, the proportion of Muslims who view suicide bombing and other attacks against civilians as being often or sometimes justified has declined by half or more over the past five years.

Wide majorities say such attacks are, at most, rarely acceptable. However, this is decidedly not the case in the Palestinian territories. Fully 70% of Palestinians believe that suicide bombings against civilians can be often or sometimes justified, a position starkly at odds with Muslims in other Middle Eastern, Asian, and African nations.

I have to say that if I were in the position of the Palestinians, I may well say suicide bombings against civilians can sometimes be justified, fortunately, I have the luxury of being able to condemn the practise - from my view, it can achieve nothing positive for anybody; all I am saying is that if I were a Palestinian, I might well have a different viewpoint... but it is good to see that those not in such exceptional straits hugely against it and that opinion becoming stronger as time passes.

I thought this one was interesting, too:
http://pewresearch.org/assets/publications/549-12.gif

...if only 'cause the Italians think that pollution and terrorism (how long since the Red Brigade were active?) are more of an issue than corrupt leadership.  Berlusconi must have done a damn good job on public opinion  :P

Subject: Re: Few Muslims 'back suicide bombs' - BBC Article

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/25/07 at 5:30 pm

Maybe some Moslems have finally figured out that the biggest group of people killed by homocide bombers are Moslems.

Hell of a formula for victory.

Subject: Re: Few Muslims 'back suicide bombs' - BBC Article

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/25/07 at 7:02 pm

Maybe some Moslems have finally figured out that the biggest group of people killed by homocide bombers are Moslems.

Hell of a formula for victory.

"Homicide bomber" is a misnomer.  The object of "bombing" is:
a. Blow stuff up.
b. Kill people, or
c. Both.
Hence, "homicide" is implied in the word "bombing."  What makes terrorists who strap dynamite around their waists different from other bombers is they commit suicide in the process.  "Suicide bomber" distinguishes them from bombers who drop incendiary devices out of aircraft, use timed triggering mechanisms, or otherwise plan not to be attached to the bomb when it goes off.
Or is this too subtle for FOX News watchers?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/violent4.gif

(And "homocide" is what Jeffrey Dahmer did.)

Check for new replies or respond here...