» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Illegal caught..someone should have a talk with the Chicago priest!

Written By: saver on 08/20/07 at 1:48 pm

The lady recently deported after flouting her illegal immigration stance is soooo wrong BUT the priest who backs her is now including calling the ICE people racists!

What kind of logic does this guy think he has? All along, if you are illegal, THAT is why they go after you...
Secondly, he and other supporters of this need some further schooling holding this woman up as a 'hero' to this cause after she 1)ILLEGALLY entered this country 2) was busted and deported 10 years ago, 3) slapped our Social Security Dept. in the face stealing/using phony ID AND 4)reentered after being ousted

HERO??? HAH!

Subject: Re: Illegal caught..someone should have a talk with the Chicago priest!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/20/07 at 2:25 pm

The lady recently deported after flouting her illegal immigration stance is soooo wrong BUT the priest who backs her is now including calling the ICE people racists!

What kind of logic does this guy think he has? All along, if you are illegal, THAT is why they go after you...
Secondly, he and other supporters of this need some further schooling holding this woman up as a 'hero' to this cause after she 1)ILLEGALLY entered this country 2) was busted and deported 10 years ago, 3) slapped our Social Security Dept. in the face stealing/using phony ID AND 4)reentered after being ousted

HERO??? HAH!

Draw and quarter them both and throw the innards to the dogs for a little dominionist justice!

Subject: Re: Illegal caught..someone should have a talk with the Chicago priest!

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/20/07 at 2:54 pm

Link...please ??? By your post i would say the priest is the true hero.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/20/07 at 2:56 pm

Who would Jesus hate?

Written By: Jessica on 08/20/07 at 2:58 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/19/immigration.activist.ap/index.html

She had claimed sanctuary in the church, but had left to go to LA for an immigration reform rally. They busted her there.

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/20/07 at 3:07 pm

Thanks Jess :)

Now it all makes sense,that priest should be the one to report her,shame on him for trying to help a family from being separated.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/20/07 at 4:15 pm

Who would Jesus hate?

Hate 'em all, let his daddy sort 'em out

Written By: Tia on 08/20/07 at 4:43 pm

i'm all for rampant illegal immigration. american chicks harsh my buzz, dude.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/20/07 at 8:13 pm

Hate 'em all, let his daddy sort 'em out

I wish I could say there was irony in that sentiment in re these dominionist loons...but there ain't!

"I want you to just let a wave of intolerance wash over you... I want you to let a wave of hatred wash over you. Yes, hate is good... Our goal is a Christian nation. We have a biblical duty, we are called by God, to conquer this country. We don't want equal time. We don't want pluralism."

--Randall Terry
8/16/93

Fourteen years later, I'd say Randy got his wave.
See your civil liberties?  See separation of church and state?  Good.  Now wave goodbye!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/quickdraw.gif

i'm all for rampant illegal immigration. american chicks harsh my buzz, dude.

Bill & Ted's Totally Gnarly Border Security Adventure
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/bandit.gif

Written By: Red Ant on 08/20/07 at 10:03 pm

I'm not going to get into the topic, but it did make me think...

What is the extent and priveledge of one granted sanctuary in a place of worship? How does that compare to right of asylum or 'refugee status', and in what cases is it not afforded or recognized?

I wish I could say there was irony in that sentiment in re these dominionist loons...but there ain't!

"I want you to just let a wave of intolerance wash over you... I want you to let a wave of hatred wash over you. Yes, hate is good... Our goal is a Christian nation. We have a biblical duty, we are called by God, to conquer this country. We don't want equal time. We don't want pluralism."

--Randall Terry
8/16/93

Fourteen years later, I'd say Randy got his wave.
See your civil liberties?  See separation of church and state?  Good.  Now wave goodbye!

I'm probably reading your comment the wrong way, but I fail to see where separation of church and state comes into play here. The feds more than likely knew she was in that church for a year, yet didn't touch her until she left it, which is why I posed the above question.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/quickdraw.gif

LOL! Keanu Reeve and that other guy are getting older now, and they'd be perfect to play minutemen trying to secure the southern US border. That's actually a really great movie title and idea, Max.

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/20/07 at 11:32 pm

I'm not going to get into the topic, but it did make me think...

What is the extent and priveledge of one granted sanctuary in a place of worship? How does that compare to right of asylum or 'refugee status', and in what cases is it not afforded or recognized?

I'm probably reading your comment the wrong way, but I fail to see where separation of church and state comes into play here. The feds more than likely knew she was in that church for a year, yet didn't touch her until she left it, which is why I posed the above question.

It's not really about this case per se, but rather an observation that the greater the influence of the Christian Right on our culture, the more bigotry, intolerance, and mean-spiritedness emerges. 

As for sanctuary, if a person has committed a violent crime, I don't think they should be able to take refuge from the law in a church.  I'm a little fuzzy on the rest of it. 

The case of this woman is actually a good example.  Watching the commentators on TV tonight, the more overtly Christian the commentator, the more rancorous the rhetoric against illegal immigrants. 

Written By: Tia on 08/21/07 at 5:40 am

i like it. we should all sneak into canada and give em a pitch.

you guys know all the movies that count are being made in canada now, right? that or spain.

Written By: philbo on 08/21/07 at 6:24 am

I was thinking... whatever happened to:
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

...in searching for the quote (to make sure I was getting it right), I came across this at freerepublic.com which wasn't quite the sentiments I expected to find there, I must admit.

The only thing I really have a problem with in regard to immigration is those people who come here and commit crimes (especially serious ones).  I don't mean the "crime" of just being here, I mean the sort of crimes of violence and trafficking that lead to us as taxpayers forking out huge sums to keep these antisocial idiots in prison for many years - unfortunately, even though the data is theoretically available as a report from LIDS, according to the home office (in an answer found in Hansard) it would cost to much to find out how many of our current prison population is from overseas.  A fairly prespammersite state of affairs, IMO, but subject for another thread, methinks.

But I have no problems at all with people coming here to work, if there is work to be done.

Written By: McDonald on 08/21/07 at 9:37 am

Canada attractms more immigrants per capita than any other country in the world, and how I am grateful for the ones who come here and accept the Canadian nationality and contribute to this excellent country. However, there also seems to be a phenomenon amongst immigrant communities  where immigrants and even their children are identifying more with their country of origin or their parents' country of origin than with Canada. For example, the winner of Canadian Idol last year is a girl named Eva Avila, who lives in Gatineau, QC, and is fluently trilingual in Canada's two official languages plus her parents' language (Spanish). But when she won, she mentioned how it was a great honour for Peru (her parents' country of origin) for her to have won Idol.

Well, how is it a great honour for Peru if you aren't even from there? She was born in Ottawa. This is exactly what I mean. This happens quite a bit with youth whose parents are from other countries these days. It's not like it was before.  What do other Canadians have to say about this? Is this also a phenomenon in the US?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/21/07 at 11:15 am

The immigration issue is a sticky situation. I do not have a problem with people coming here to work, to try to better themselves and their families. But, I do have a problem with people who exploit these people (i.e. employers who pay lower than minimum wage) and I do have a problem with people who lump all immigrants in the same category, which IMO is because of racism. This is a nation of immigrants whether we want to admit it or not. My great-grandparents came here from Poland & from Russia. I'm sure that EVERY American on this board, their ancestors came from some place else, too. Immigration is fine when we want cheap labor but it is not fine when that cheap labor wants the "American dream".

If the U.S. really wanted to crack down on illegal immigration, it could do it by hiring more border patrol (I really don't want to see a wall go up). I heard something on the news a few weeks ago about only have 1 border patrol for every 5 miles or so. And if they cracked down on people who give these people false documentation and employers who look the other way knowing that they have hired these people. They could also make the process of coming to this country a little easier (i.e. a higher quota), I think the problem would work itself out. But, they won't do that because it boils down to one thing: CHEAP LABOR!!!  And then they get the American people to blame the immigrants instead of the people who have created the system for them to thrive. 

Cat

Written By: shackled on 08/21/07 at 1:20 pm

I agree, Cat. And the BP is hiring at an amazing rate.
A friend I have known for 30 years was just hired after serious background investigation...
A Homeland Security Officer actually came to see me at work about him.

He has to go to an academy in NM for four months, and will then be stationed in AZ.
It is not a job I would want, but he's been in the military for 18 years and is looking forward to it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/21/07 at 1:39 pm

I agree, Cat. And the BP is hiring at an amazing rate.
A friend I have known for 30 years was just hired after serious background investigation...
A Homeland Security Officer actually came to see me at work about him.

He has to go to an academy in NM for four months, and will then be stationed in AZ.
It is not a job I would want, but he's been in the military for 18 years and is looking forward to it.

I have had one of those background checks. The Feds discovered that I am really a man and that I moonlight as a traveling circus performer and I print paper money in my basement. In other words, I am good to go to work for the government.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: saver on 08/21/07 at 2:12 pm

More audacity spews from the mouths of her supporters ..some actually bringing up 'Rosa Parksa comparison! HOW DARE THEY..I hope black civil rights leaders speak up on this..but I guess the supporters have a little trouble sorting out rights and illegal activity!   

Written By: Tia on 08/21/07 at 2:21 pm

i'm sure if rosa and the gang were around these days, the repubs would find a way to get em deported. or indefinitely detained as terrorists. ::)

i'm really diggin' this whole gnarly border guard adventure idea. bill and ted could work as border guards and somehow, improbably, their border checkpoint is besieged with a steady flow of foreign babeage: you know, sultry bikini-clad latinas, canadian foxes in mountie uniforms, russian chicks in furs carrying bottles of vodka, beautiful stoner girls from amsterdam, chocolate-skinned beauties from cameroon with those lilting french accents... you know, the only limit is the imagination. and bill and ted have to shelter all these beautiful women from their evil border guard bosses, who want to deport them when all they want to do is come to america, party with bill and ted and find love. it could be a roaring sex comedy and rousing feel-good road picture! i gotta pitch those guys who did “orgasmo.”

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/21/07 at 2:42 pm

i'm sure if rosa and the gang were around these days, the repubs would find a way to get em deported. or indefinitely detained as terrorists. ::)

i'm really diggin' this whole gnarly border guard adventure idea. bill and ted could work as border guards and somehow, improbably, their border checkpoint is besieged with a steady flow of foreign babeage: you know, sultry bikini-clad latinas, canadian foxes in mountie uniforms, russian chicks in furs carrying bottles of vodka, beautiful stoner girls from amsterdam, chocolate-skinned beauties from cameroon with those lilting french accents... you know, the only limit is the imagination. and bill and ted have to shelter all these beautiful women from their evil border guard bosses, who want to deport them when all they want to do is come to america, party with bill and ted and find love. it could be a roaring sex comedy and rousing feel-good road picture! i gotta pitch those guys who did “orgasmo.”

Do I see a Hollywood blockbuster in the making here?  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/21/07 at 7:05 pm

More audacity spews from the mouths of her supporters ..some actually bringing up 'Rosa Parksa comparison! HOW DARE THEY..I hope black civil rights leaders speak up on this..but I guess the supporters have a little trouble sorting out rights and illegal activity!   

It is not incumbant upon "black civil rights leaders" to raise protest every time some aggrieved party dredges up the name Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, or whatever. 

I also wish the NAACP wasn't supporting Michael Vick, but that's a different subject.
::)

Written By: Jessica on 08/21/07 at 7:59 pm

The immigration issue is a sticky situation. I do not have a problem with people coming here to work, to try to better themselves and their families. But, I do have a problem with people who exploit these people (i.e. employers who pay lower than minimum wage) and I do have a problem with people who lump all immigrants in the same category, which IMO is because of racism. This is a nation of immigrants whether we want to admit it or not. My great-grandparents came here from Poland & from Russia. I'm sure that EVERY American on this board, their ancestors came from some place else, too. Immigration is fine when we want cheap labor but it is not fine when that cheap labor wants the "American dream".

If the U.S. really wanted to crack down on illegal immigration, it could do it by hiring more border patrol (I really don't want to see a wall go up). I heard something on the news a few weeks ago about only have 1 border patrol for every 5 miles or so. And if they cracked down on people who give these people false documentation and employers who look the other way knowing that they have hired these people. They could also make the process of coming to this country a little easier (i.e. a higher quota), I think the problem would work itself out. But, they won't do that because it boils down to one thing: CHEAP LABOR!!!  And then they get the American people to blame the immigrants instead of the people who have created the system for them to thrive. 

Cat

Thank you.

It is not incumbant upon "black civil rights leaders" to raise protest every time some aggrieved party dredges up the name Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, or whatever. 

I also wish the NAACP wasn't supporting Michael Vick, but that's a different subject.

And thank you. Both of you have saved me a lot of typing.

Written By: Tia on 08/21/07 at 9:53 pm

oh, and i forgot -- the stoner girls from amsterdam have to have, like, a pound of primo jamaican violet-haired doobage. not that they're selling it or anything, they just need that much. 8)

damn, this could be a good movie.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 08/23/07 at 7:28 am

I was thinking... whatever happened to:
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

http://777denny.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/illegal-immigration-tsunami.jpg

Written By: Tia on 08/23/07 at 7:35 am

what exactly is the source of this 3 million per year figure?

Written By: Jessica on 08/23/07 at 9:17 am

what exactly is the source of this 3 million per year figure?

Fox news
Bill O'Reilly
Ann Coulter

Take your pick.

Written By: Tia on 08/23/07 at 9:27 am

Fox news
Bill O'Reilly
Ann Coulter

Take your pick.
well, i'll only believe it if greta, the republican anchorbaby, sez it's true.

someone on washington journal this morning was saying 2 million. it occurs to me if these immigrants are, by definition, "undocumented," then these figures are by definition unreliable.

anyway, this i thought was an interesting letter in the paper this morning...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/22/AR2007082202476.html

It's Not Immigrants, Just Population
Thursday, August 23, 2007; Page A18

I think I am a good representation of the "Leave It to Beaver" crowd of the 1950s that Jeff Lisowski spoke of in his Aug. 18 letter about immigration.

This is what we feel:

· No, we do not like how crowded the D.C. area has become.

· No, we do not care for trash in the streets or in the front yards of our neighborhoods.

· No, we do not like to see long lines of people in the grocery stores, at the Department of Motor Vehicles or any other place.

Most of us who have lived in this area all of our lives have paid for the roads that are now congested. We have paid for many of the schools, government services, etc. We might even remember when the Chesapeake Bay was pristine and waste did not always lie on its shoreline.

Simply put, our infrastructure and standard of living have not expanded with the new demographics of the region. Many of us also have worked more than one job at a time to feed our children, and many of us respect the outstanding work ethic of most of the newcomers.

We do have culture shock sometimes.

I think that the "Beaver" crowd feels that it is losing the longtime American citizens who invested in their properties and in their communities. The problem is simply overpopulation, regardless of what else ethnic prejudices might suggest.

A.L. SWIGGARD

Written By: GWBush2004 on 08/23/07 at 10:44 am

Fox news
Bill O'Reilly
Ann Coulter

Take your pick.

Try the U.S. Border Patrol and Time magazine.

3 Million Illegal Immigrants Annually?

Another statistic in the news is the number of illegal immigrants coming across the U.S.-Mexican border. A Time magazine story cited an estimate of 3 million illegal aliens annually crossing into the U.S., and this enormous figure has been uncritically accepted by many news and TV networks.

The origin of this number is interesting. Border agents say they apprehend approximately 1 million people annually, but estimate that three times as many people manage to make it across the border.

Source

Paulos attempts to debunk the figure in the article, but regardless that is where that number came from.

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/23/07 at 3:22 pm

http://777denny.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/illegal-immigration-tsunami.jpg

Americans are always going places where they're not wanted...

When you stop,we'll stop :P

Written By: GWBush2004 on 08/23/07 at 3:36 pm

When you stop,we'll stop

Who is we?

Written By: Tia on 08/23/07 at 3:39 pm

Who is we?
the rest of the planet. ;D

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/23/07 at 3:44 pm

Who is we?

the rest of the planet. ;D

Exactamente!

I'm just saying,you guys should worry when no one wants to go to the US,trust me it will happen soon.

Written By: Tia on 08/23/07 at 3:49 pm

i admit i've been thinking more and more about getting the eff outta dodge. i love america, but the right wing over the last six years has screwed it up in a way that's not going to be very easy to fix. between inflated housing prices, unaffordable health care, crumbling infrastructure, the consequences of this prespammersite war in iraq, the loss of civil liberties and the gutting of the constitution, and the fact that the government is so dysfunctional we basically might as well not even have one, america is fast becoming a place i think i'd like to be gawking at from the outside for a while. :(

Written By: GWBush2004 on 08/23/07 at 3:49 pm

I'm just saying,you guys should worry when no one wants to go to the US,trust me it will happen soon.

Nah, hoards of illegal aliens will continue to flow into America through the southern border till the end of time.

Written By: thereshegoes on 08/23/07 at 4:04 pm

i admit i've been thinking more and more about getting the eff outta dodge. i love america, but the right wing over the last six years has screwed it up in a way that's not going to be very easy to fix. between inflated housing prices, unaffordable health care, crumbling infrastructure, the consequences of this prespammersite war in iraq, the loss of civil liberties and the gutting of the constitution, and the fact that the government is so dysfunctional we basically might as well not even have one, america is fast becoming a place i think i'd like to be gawking at from the outside for a while. :(

If the good ones escape,then yes, the US will be doomed forever.

Not that i'm trying to keep you there,or anything :P

Nah, hoards of illegal aliens will continue to flow into America through the southern border till the end of time.

Maybe...
At least so they can make it to Canada :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/23/07 at 4:28 pm

The thought has crossed my mind, too. But, I get my monthly check from Uncle Sam so it probably isn't a good idea for me to leave. But Canada looks pretty good from my perspective.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/23/07 at 7:43 pm

Nobody is going to do anything about illegal immigration.  All the money interests benefit from it, and so do Joe and Jane Shmo in the form of, say, cheaper produce and cheaper hotel rates.

All this right-wing media chinwagging about this illegal alien raped a child and that illegal alien drove drunk and killed somebody is just more fear-mongering and us-against-them rhetoric.

Written By: Jessica on 08/23/07 at 8:51 pm

:-*

Written By: saver on 08/23/07 at 10:34 pm

Uh Americans going places and SUCKING OFF THE TAX PAYERS...HAVING KIDS IN OTHER COUNTRIES TO GET FREE BENEFITS WHEN ILLEGALLY ARRIVING..HAVEN'T HEARD OF THAT IN THE NEWS(MAYBE THEY'RE HIDING THE ILLEGAL AMERICANS).....WE'RE NOT THAT HARD UP!

Written By: Tia on 08/23/07 at 10:37 pm

Uh Americans going places and SUCKING OFF THE TAX PAYERS...HAVING KIDS IN OTHER COUNTRIES TO GET FREE BENEFITS WHEN ILLEGALLY ARRIVING..HAVEN'T HEARD OF THAT IN THE NEWS(MAYBE THEY'RE HIDING THE ILLEGAL AMERICANS).....WE'RE NOT THAT HARD UP!
sucking off us taxpayers cuz we're so hard up? that sounds like rather a nice thing to do, in fact.

okay, i like this move: accusing people of deliberately having kids in other countries for money, so that when republicans start busting up families like they do so often with all their deportation jazz, it comes off looking ever so slightly less monstrous and heartless than it would otherwise. i mean, separating a mother from her child, it's kinda hard to paint a heroic face on that, is it not?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/23/07 at 11:47 pm

SUCKING OFF THE TAX PAYERS...

Say WHAT????
:D

Written By: philbo on 08/24/07 at 4:18 am

Say WHAT????
:D

Some come to work, others work to... no, scrap that thought.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 08/24/07 at 6:01 am

sucking off us taxpayers cuz we're so hard up? that sounds like rather a nice thing to do, in fact.

okay, i like this move: accusing people of deliberately having kids in other countries for money, so that when republicans start busting up families like they do so often with all their deportation jazz, it comes off looking ever so slightly less monstrous and heartless than it would otherwise. i mean, separating a mother from her child, it's kinda hard to paint a heroic face on that, is it not?

What other countries do you know of where I can go and refuse to learn the language, demand my children get a free education despite my illegal status, demand taxpayer-funded services, hold protests in public areas demanding my "right" to be in said country and get away with it all?  Illegal immigrants, mostly from Mexico, do that all the time here.  If you did the exact same thing in Mexico, they'd laugh at you.  In fact, Mexico has some of the toughest immigration laws in the world.  Mexico doesn't even allow their LEGAL immigrants the right to vote.  If America passed the exact same immigration laws that Mexico has now, down to the letter, Mexico would squeal like a stuck pig.  Their hypocrisy is unbelievable.

As for "breaking up families", no one is doing such a thing.  No one is stopping the deported woman in this story from taking her son with her to Mexico.  If anything, she is abandoning him.

Written By: Tia on 08/24/07 at 7:03 am

What other countries do you know of where I can go and refuse to learn the language, demand my children get a free education despite my illegal status, demand taxpayer-funder services, hold protests in public areas demanding my "right" to be in said country and get away with it all?  Illegal immigrants, mostly from Mexico, do that all the time here.  If you did the exact same thing in Mexico, they'd laugh at you.  In fact, Mexico has some of the toughest immigration laws in the world.  Mexico doesn't even allow their LEGAL immigrants the right to vote.  If America passed the exact same immigration laws that Mexico has now, down to the letter, Mexico would squeal like a stuck pig.  Their hypocrisy is unbelievable.

As for "breaking up families", no one is doing such a thing.  No one is stopping the deported woman in this story from taking her son with her to Mexico.  If anything, she is abandoning him.
this sounds a little bit like when civilians die because of a US bombing raid or gunfire, folks on the right come out with retorts to the effect of, 'well, they shouldn't have been standing so close to terrorists.' rhetoric notwithstanding, i've noticed the victims of republican policies (who, invariably, have somehow brought it on themselves to get separated from their families, get indefinitely detained, or some such else) are disproportionately impoverished women and children. i think m. smart is right, the reason why immigration laws aren't more vigorously enforced is that despite the talk, moneyed interests have a significant stake in the status quo. at the same time, though, going on and on about immigration, abortion and other 'wedge' issues is useful during a primary season.

it always amuses me, though, that the right is so eager to get tough with the weak, the dispossessed, and the infirm. it would be nice if they'd pick on people their own size for once.

Written By: saver on 08/24/07 at 2:29 pm

Law does not recognize mother from child..if she was a good mother, she would have taken him with her! How about that one!

Written By: Tia on 08/24/07 at 2:34 pm

Law does not recognize mother from child..if she was a good mother, she would have taken him with her! How about that one!
and yet who actually separated them?

sorta like my earlier example with the innocent civilians dying under US fire in iraq: who pulled the trigger? who sent those soldiers over there in the first place? should the consequences for such grave human tragedies as dividing and wiping out families be laid on the shoulders of the families themselves, even if they may have made somewhat questionable decisions along the way, or should it be laid on the shoulders of the people actually doing the shooting, establishing the inhumane policies, or actively splitting up families by incarcerating and deporting single mothers?

Written By: Jessica on 08/24/07 at 2:38 pm

OMG! How thoughtless of her to be deported before she had time to pick up her kid! What a heartless bitch!

/end sarcasm

Written By: GWBush2004 on 08/24/07 at 2:39 pm

That's stupid.  ICE did because this woman broke the law.  Next you'll be telling everybody that no father or mother should ever been sentenced to serve time in jail, no matter what crime they may commit.

Why hasn't she brought her son to Mexico to be with her yet?  Is that so hard?  Is Mexico that awful of a place?

Written By: Tia on 08/24/07 at 2:47 pm

That's stupid.  ICE did because this woman broke the law.  Next you'll be telling everybody that no father or mother should ever been sentenced to serve time in jail, no matter what crime they may commit.

Why hasn't she brought her son to Mexico to be with her yet?  Is that so hard?  Is Mexico that awful of a place?
vidently her son is an american citizen and she likely felt that he had a chance for a better life in the US than in mexico.

now, plainly she broke the law and there should be some sort of sanction for that -- but doesn’t it make you a BIT queasy that this policy is separating mothers from their children? i guess this is why people talk about paths to citizenship even for people who have technically broken the law -- because there are a lot of people for whom splitting up families like this is very unpalatable. it’s just... ugly. like the result of so much right-wing policy today.

it just occurs to me that someone with a reasonable amount of compassion would look at this and want to come up with some kind of compromise -- a fine, community service, maybe even a short jail term, followed by some sort of provisional visa for this woman so she can be with her family. i dunno, if reading about things like this wasn’t so miserable i’d invite the right wing to keep doing it, because it really makes them look incredibly heartless and, let’s face it, cowardly. this spectacle of immigration cops yanking a single mom around is just so hideous i cant imagine it’s not going to make the right wing even more unpopular than they are already.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/07 at 4:50 pm

Is Mexico that awful of a place?

It sure seems to be. 

To play the other side of your line of questioning, what would it take to make you smuggle yourself into a foreign land where you are not wanted, where you don't speak the language, and do dawn-to-dusk stoop labor? 

You know the mainstream politicians are not serious about rounding up the all the illegals and sealing the borders.  Why, if they were, they wouldn't be mainstream!  Two politicians who seem to be on opposite sides, Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich, have this much in common:  Neither says what the moneyed interests want to hear and neither has a snowball's chance at the candidacy!

Hillary & Rudy, Ruff & Reddy, Tom & Jerry, or whoever the hell it's going to be, will talk a big game about "border security" or "immigration reform" but the moneyed interests will sleep soundly know nothing will change.

I keep hearing these wingdings phoning up the "Republican" line on Washington Journal and moaning, "I'm sher dis-pointed in pres-dent Bush; he din't do nothin' 'bout scurin' our borders!"

Well, DUH!  Next time you go to the polls remember what the man himself said:
"Fool me once...shame...shame on me.  Fool me...can't get fooled again!"

In re: public education and medicaid for illegals, consider it money well spent.  If  ICE  is not alllowed to summarily round them up and send them home; if the cops aren't allowed to just shoot street urchins willy-nilly like in South America, consider it money well spent.  Would you rather packs of tuberculosis-carrying, idle and illiterate youths roaming the streets with nowhere they're wanted and nowhere to go?  We've seen this phenomenon before.  "Hell's Kitchen" didn't get its name for nothing.  Cut the children of illegal immigrants off from social services and social inclusion, you've got ready-made criminals--you've given them no choice!

Some come to work, others work to... no, scrap that thought.

Call it a revenue incentive program.  Claim 0 exemptions and get a....
Hey, where's the box you check on the 1040EZ form?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 08/24/07 at 5:40 pm

Would you rather packs of tuberculosis-carrying....

http://www.thewashingtonnote.com/archives/Fonzie_jumps_the_shark.PNG

Oh sorry Maxwell, you just jumped the shark in the minds of the illegal alien defenders with that comment.  Whenever anyone complains about illegal aliens bringing diseases into this country, some of which were thought to be extinct in the U.S., you always hear the left pull out the race card.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/07 at 6:41 pm

Oh sorry Maxwell, you just jumped the shark in the minds of the illegal alien defenders with that comment.  Whenever anyone complains about illegal aliens bringing diseases into this country, some of which were thought to be extinct in the U.S., you always hear the left pull out the race card.

Nnnnnnoooooo!!!  That is specious, sir.

Tuberculosis thrives when people live in extreme poverty in overcrowded and septic conditions.  It prefers no race or region, just the right conditions.  100 years ago it was the number one killer in Great Britain. 

Written By: Tia on 08/24/07 at 7:24 pm

http://www.thewashingtonnote.com/archives/Fonzie_jumps_the_shark.PNG

yeah, we're sorta like synchronized swimmers that way, we all pull out our race cards at once, in a highly coordinated move. it takes a lot of practice, i tell ya!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/07 at 7:37 pm

yeah, we're sorta like synchronized swimmers that way, we all pull out our race cards at once, in a highly coordinated move. it takes a lot of practice, i tell ya!

Uncle Karl's Three Race Card Monte: No matter what you say you lose!

Written By: Red Ant on 08/24/07 at 7:39 pm

Here's a novel idea: why not stay in your country and try to make things better there? I mean, Mexico still has a decent tourism industry, so it can't be a complete s*** hole.

That may be a touch hypocritical coming from someone whose distant ancestors emmigrated to America long long before I was born, but so be it. America is not always sunshine and kittens, but I doubt I'd move anywhere else before trying my best to make a life here.

Fact is, there are loads of countries out there who have it worse than Mexico, yet you don't see them flocking here in huge numbers. That might be due to having two enormous oceans to cross.

What other countries do you know of where I can go and refuse to learn the language, demand my children get a free education despite my illegal status, demand taxpayer-funded services, hold protests in public areas demanding my "right" to be in said country and get away with it all? 

Let me get back to you on that... in the meantime, karma.

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/07 at 7:52 pm

Here's a novel idea: why not stay in your country and try to make things better there?

Where to start?  The crooked politicians, the corrupt cops, the dope kingpins, the sex traffickers, the U.S. corporations that poison the water and pay a buck an hour?
You could start with any of those...but then your old bones would end up bleaching in the middle of the desert.  Dying ain't much of a living, boy!

Written By: Red Ant on 08/24/07 at 7:55 pm

Where to start?  The crooked politicians, the corrupt cops, the dope kingpins, the sex traffickers, the U.S. corporations that poison the water and pay a buck an hour?
You could start with any of those...but then your old bones would end up bleaching in the middle of the desert.  Dying ain't much of a living, boy!

True, but it's not as if those things don't also exist in the US. The corporations here pay 7$ an hour instead of one, but they still pollute everything.

Crooked politicians? *cough*W*cough*

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/07 at 8:45 pm

True, but it's not as if those things don't also exist in the US. The corporations here pay 7$ an hour instead of one, but they still pollute everything.

Crooked politicians? *cough*W*cough*

Ant

Mexico is a good example of where the U.S. is headed if we don't clean up our act.  I speak up against the yawning gap between the poor and the rich growing ever wider and the ranks of the super-rich owning an ever greater share of all the wealth not out of class envy but concern for national security and democracy.

When you have a tiny corps of super-rich elites owning everything and millions upon millions of people in desperate poverty, you don't have a safe country and democracy cannot survive.

The government of Mexico is not corrupt; the governmen of Mexico is corruption.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 08/25/07 at 12:08 pm

Good Riddance to Illegal Elvira Arellano
Michael Reagan
August 24, 2007

You would have thought the United States had committed some unforgivable crime against humanity if you listened to the howls of rage emitting from a horde of liberals whining over the fate of an illegal alien who played them for suckers.

Her name is Elvira Arellano and whatever else she may be, she’s a master propagandist who knows full well just which buttons to push to unleash a flood of liberal do-gooder tears from those who don’t recognize a con man (or woman) even when the con is so obvious a 10-year-old could see it.

In case you haven’t been paying attention, for the past year Sra. Arellano has been playing the part of a victim of heartless U.S. immigration laws that demand that she be deported just because as a serial illegal alien she just plain doesn’t belong north of the U.S.-Mexican border, which she has long used a her own personal revolving door.

As part of her con game she managed to find a clergyman who was willing to offer her sanctuary in his church, which she used as a pulpit to preach about the injustice of being persecuted by a brutal government that wanted do ship her south of the border. She wailed it would separate her from her 8-year-old son, the by-product of some furtive sexual encounter with a man she either refuses to identify or whose identity has somehow slipped her mind (if she ever knew in the first place).

Elvira has made herself into the poster girl for amnesty for all illegal aliens, and it’s been a spectacle to watch how she’s done it. Especially since neither she nor her son can speak a word of English.

Safe from the grasping hands of the immigration cops who risked being boiled in media oil had they violated the alleged sanctuary, she created a flood of stories depicting her plight at the hands of the heartless Feds.

Needless to say, the wooly-headed liberals who dominate the media managed to avoid writing about or broadcasting the sordid tale of the real Elvira Arellano. As a result, when justice finally prevailed and she was sent packing by the immigration authorities, a great cry of agony arose from the left and from the illegal immigration community, which cannot understand why most Americans labor under the false belief that people here in the U.S. should obey the law, especially when the law says those wishing to reside within our borders should abide by the laws that restrict immigration to those willing to obey the immigration laws.

Elvira was not among their number. She had one rallying cry — he would not leave the U.S. because to do so would separate her from her beloved love-child, who is legally an American citizen since he was born here.

Who is this woman who has tugged so successfully at the heartstrings of the nation’s liberals?

She snuck into the U.S. years ago, was caught and sent southward in the late '90s.

That was just a minor setback in her career — in a matter of a few days she was back in the U.S. where she got pregnant and got a job as a cleaning woman at an airport thanks to a phony Social Security card — rather serious offense for which would be a sure ticket to the slammer for most people. But not for Elvira. It took 9/11 to get her charged with the crime and ordered out of the U.S. — again.

She didn’t go. Instead she conned a church into giving her sanctuary where she stayed until she rashly ventured forth to promote the virtues of illegal immigration. The Feds nabbed her and promptly deported her, offering to let her take her son — you know, the one she insisted she could not be separated from.

She said no. After all, the kid is a better propaganda tool here in the U.S., allowing her to bewail her “enforced” separation from him.

Liberal tears flowed, all of which proves that there’s more than one sucker born every minute here in the U.S.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/07 at 2:34 pm

^ Good riddance to Ronald Reagan, and someday, let it be soon, good riddance to Michael Reagan.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 08/25/07 at 3:18 pm

^ Good riddance to Ronald Reagan, and someday, let it be soon, good riddance to Michael Reagan.

So much for the leftist mantra of 'peace, love and tolerance.'  Now tell us how you really feel.

Written By: Tia on 08/25/07 at 3:22 pm

the left wing is pissed. can't say i blame em. although wishing good riddance on the reagans, to be fair, might be a little strong.

i'm diggin' that "it's a conspiracy" photo tho! i notice it goes quite well in my sig line without changing the caption at all. :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/07 at 3:31 pm

So much for the leftist mantra of 'peace, love and tolerance.'  Now tell us how you really feel.

That is neither "leftist" nor a "mantra."
Leftist regimes have a great deficets in peace, love, and tolerance. 

Do you know what a mantra is?

I speak for no one else when I say the world would be a slightly better place without Michael Reagan's rhetoric.   

Written By: GWBush2004 on 08/25/07 at 3:59 pm

That is neither "leftist" nor a "mantra."
Leftist regimes have a great deficets in peace, love, and tolerance. 

Do you know what a mantra is?

mantra

noun
1.  a commonly repeated word or phrase; "she repeated 'So pleased with how its going' at intervals like a mantra"

Source

Written By: saver on 08/25/07 at 4:42 pm

sorta like my earlier example with the innocent civilians dying under US fire in iraq: who pulled the trigger? who sent those soldiers over there in the first place? should the consequences for such grave human tragedies as dividing and wiping out families be laid on the shoulders of the families themselves, even if they may have made somewhat questionable decisions along the way, or should it be laid on the shoulders of the people actually doing the shooting, establishing the inhumane policies, or actively splitting up families by incarcerating and deporting single mothers?

The mother could TAKE the child with her or have them reunited..no law against that...
The law removed her from her current residency to Mexico...the boy is free to go as well.

The SOLDIERS who are in Iraq were not FORCED to go ...ask them who SIGNED them up to the military..No government official took their hand and made them sign their names.

Written By: saver on 08/25/07 at 4:47 pm

OMG! How thoughtless of her to be deported before she had time to pick up her kid! What a heartless bitch!

/end sarcasm

Hmm just who was that woman taking care of the kid after she was arrested HIS FAIRY GODMOTHER???

Looks to me like she was prepared to go why not have him at hand or in custody of someone in Mexico if she knew she was going to wind up there? 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/07 at 7:28 pm

the left wing is pissed. can't say i blame em. although wishing good riddance on the reagans, to be fair, might be a little strong.

i'm diggin' that "it's a conspiracy" photo tho! i notice it goes quite well in my sig line without changing the caption at all. :P

Ron Reagan is cool.  Mikey Reagan can go take a flying leap at the moon.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 08/26/07 at 4:20 pm

Ron Reagan is cool.

Ronald W. Reagan or Ronald P. Reagan?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/27/07 at 12:21 am

Ronald W. Reagan or Ronald P. Reagan?

The one who used to dance around in a tutu!
;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/27/07 at 9:41 pm

The one who used to dance around in a tutu! ;)

Leave J. Edgar Hoover out of it! 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/27/07 at 10:35 pm

Leave J. Edgar Hoover out of it! 

Oh, no, Hoover preferred evening gowns.  It's his Cuban houseboy Hoover used to like to watch boogie in a tutu.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/27/07 at 10:56 pm

Oh, no, Hoover preferred evening gowns.  It's his Cuban houseboy Hoover used to like to watch boogie in a tutu.

That claim is JUST FINE without pictures.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/29/07 at 9:14 am

vidently her son is an american citizen and she likely felt that he had a chance for a better life in the US than in mexico.

now, plainly she broke the law and there should be some sort of sanction for that -- but doesn’t it make you a BIT queasy that this policy is separating mothers from their children? i guess this is why people talk about paths to citizenship even for people who have technically broken the law -- because there are a lot of people for whom splitting up families like this is very unpalatable. it’s just... ugly. like the result of so much right-wing policy today.

it just occurs to me that someone with a reasonable amount of compassion would look at this and want to come up with some kind of compromise -- a fine, community service, maybe even a short jail term, followed by some sort of provisional visa for this woman so she can be with her family. i dunno, if reading about things like this wasn’t so miserable i’d invite the right wing to keep doing it, because it really makes them look incredibly heartless and, let’s face it, cowardly. this spectacle of immigration cops yanking a single mom around is just so hideous i cant imagine it’s not going to make the right wing even more unpopular than they are already.

So you are saying that the laws of our country should not apply to everyone regardless of race/sex/gender/parental status/birthplace or that the punishment should be different based on race/sex/gender/parental status/birthplace?  Where does it end?  Should it also apply to crimes where incarceration is the punishment?  After all, that is also separating a parent from a child.  If we start making exceptions for people, where will it all end?

As a mother, I can empathize with her desire to be with her son and make a better life for him.  People keep saying that she came here to give her son a better chance.  However, she entered this country illegally not once, but twice before her son was even conceived. 

Written By: Tia on 08/29/07 at 9:29 am

So you are saying that the laws of our country should not apply to everyone regardless of race/sex/gender/parental status/birthplace or that the punishment should be different based on race/sex/gender/parental status/birthplace?  Where does it end?  Should it also apply to crimes where incarceration is the punishment?  After all, that is also separating a parent from a child.  If we start making exceptions for people, where will it all end?

As a mother, I can empathize with her desire to be with her son and make a better life for him.  People keep saying that she came here to give her son a better chance.  However, she entered this country illegally not once, but twice before her son was even conceived. 
well, no, i actually think that justice is better served when a measure of subjectivity is allowed for. like i say, yes, this woman broke the law, but it seems unproductive in the long term to treat this woman the way you might treat someone who jumped the border solely to boost liquor stores and sell prescription drugs on the street. if you just deport EVERYBODY you catch -- well, this is unproductive and won't ever happen for a number of different reasons, but to apply such a draconian punishment to someone who obviously doesn't deserve it, and is only having it applied to her because immigration is such a hot issue right now and ICE wants to look busy even if they gotta kick around a single mom to do it.

there’s this rather prespammersite assumption that’s getting around nowadays that the law should just be applied to everyone uniformly, despite special, extenuating, or aggravating circumstances (this seems to be particularly popular among conservatives). but treating this woman the same way you would treat a truly hardened border jumping would-be criminal not only is disproportionate to her crime, it also has the added, and unwanted effect, of encouraging criminality among illegal immigrants who aren’t sure yet whether or not they want to embark on a life of crime or try and find a path to becoming legitimate. if there were a chance that staying legal in conduct might have the benefit of affording some form of leniency upon their getting caught then a lot of folks considering committing crimes might be persuaded not to. but if the blanket vending-machine justice being meted out is deportation, regardless of whether you’re an eight-year-old girl in an otherwise stable family or a 35-year-old alcoholic single male with a criminal history in your native country -- well, once you’re here you might as well do whatever you want, yes?

that’s the thing with this zero-tolerance guff, a lot of times it encourages crime rather than dissuades it. if it were a decision based on principle -- we wont cotton to criminals on our soil! -- i could maybe see that, but deporting single-moms and splitting up families when their only crime was, say, overstaying their visa, well, it’s hard for me to tease any “principle” out of that, sorry, unless beating up on the weak is now what stands for principle in these parts. which, given what i’ve seen in america the last few years, i’d hardly rule out.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/29/07 at 7:35 pm

That claim is JUST FINE without pictures.

No man who valued his life snapped a picture of Hoover in drag. 
He was a quintessential "Don't f**k with the man" man!
:o

Check for new replies or respond here...