» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Belgium in the midst of polticial breakdown. Future as a country at stake.

Written By: McDonald on 08/24/07 at 7:28 pm

Here is a collection of news links in English and French about the situation.

http://news.google.ca/news?hl=en&ned=ca&ie=UTF-8&ncl=1119536755

There has always been linguistic tension in Belgium between the Flemish and French-speaking Belgians, but the recent political crisis has put the conuntry's future into question. The main parties of both linguistic groups have been unable to come to a coalition agreement for the past two months. There is still no  government.

Nearly half of Flemings in Belgium think that Flanders should proclaim its independence, while 60 percent of the Netherlands' population says it would be happy to merge with Flanders (a Dutch-speaking region).

What are your opinions on this? You Europeans on the board? How would this affect the EU and Brussels' position as the EU capital?

It bothers me to see such political instability in other multi-lingual countries. Many countries have more than one official language and are made of pf more than one traditional linguistic group, and to see one of these countries on the verge of break-up makes federalists in Quebec nervous. If Flanders seceeds from Belgium, that may only feed the fire of Quebec separatism. That's how this particular situation affects my corner of the world.

Subject: Re: Belgium in the midst of polticial breakdown. Future as a country at stake.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/25/07 at 7:58 am

Seems to me that the Flemish and the French speaking populace have its eyes off the ball.  Their real problem they have to worry about are the Muslims who are setting up their own self-segregated "state within a state" within each European country, and try to suppress free speech by assasinating journalists and editorial cartoonists.

Subject: Re: Belgium in the midst of polticial breakdown. Future as a country at stake.

Written By: Henk on 08/25/07 at 11:52 am

Seems to me that the Flemish and the French speaking populace have its eyes off the ball.  Their real problem they have to worry about are the Muslims who are setting up their own self-segregated "state within a state" within each European country, and try to suppress free speech by assasinating journalists and editorial cartoonists.

Yep. That's right. Blame the muslims...Why don't we just build some camps and eradicate them, while we still have a chance? ::)

But to get back on topic...

I think the Belgians are pretty much capable of solving their own problems. They've somehow managed to do so for the past 170 years, and I don't see why they shouldn't be able to do so this time.
Dividing the country would only cause bigger problems, IMO. Flanders don't really want to rejoin with their "big brother" The Netherlands (which is quite understandable after 170 years of sovereignity), which would create a new, small, overcrowded country. Of course, Flanders is the more prosperous part of Belgium.
The French part could join France, but I doubt if France is willing... France is having trouble enough of its own at the moment, and I don't think they're prepared to embrace the Walloon provinces - yet another distressed region...
Then there's the trouble with Brussels...is it Flemish or is it gonna be part of the "Free Walloon Provinces"? Or will it become some sort of freestate of its own?
And finally there's a king that nobody really seems to want...What to do with him?

No, please...we better hope and pray Belgium stays as it is.

Written By: La Roche on 08/25/07 at 12:17 pm

Yep. That's right. Blame the muslims...Why don't we just build some camps and eradicate them, while we still have a chance? ::)

But to get back on topic...

I think the Belgians are pretty much capable of solving their own problems. They've somehow managed to do so for the past 170 years, and I don't see why they shouldn't be able to do so this time.
Dividing the country would only cause bigger problems, IMO. Flanders don't really want to rejoin with their "big brother" The Netherlands (which is quite understandable after 170 years of sovereignity), which would create a new, small, overcrowded country. Of course, Flanders is the more prosperous part of Belgium.
The French part could join France, but I doubt if France is willing... France is having trouble enough of its own at the moment, and I don't think they're prepared to embrace the Walloon provinces - yet another distressed region...
Then there's the trouble with Brussels...is it Flemish or is it gonna be part of the "Free Walloon Provinces"? Or will it become some sort of freestate of its own?
And finally there's a king that nobody really seems to want...What to do with him?

No, please...we better hope and pray Belgium stays as it is.

It would certainly have serious ramifications across the whole of Europe. After 25+ years of relative civility across Central and Western Europe it would be be akin to dropping a match in to a box full of sandpaper.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/07 at 2:31 pm

Every unpopular ruler should hire the American Democratic Party who will ensure that ruler stays in power as long as possible.
"Impeachment is off the table."
--Nancy Pelosi

But I digress...

Written By: McDonald on 03/20/08 at 10:03 am

The stand-off finally over.

NINE MONTHS after the election, Belgium will finally have a non-interim government.

Yves Leterme (a Fleming with a Francophone father) is now the Prime Minister.

http://www.24heures.ch/var/plain/storage/images/10366619-1/103666191_resize213.jpg

There still could be problems ahead, but for now the crisis is officially 'over'.

Written By: Macphisto on 03/20/08 at 6:04 pm

Some Muslims actually do fit this description.  To assume all Muslims are like this is racist.  To assume none of them are like this is blind.

Check for new replies or respond here...