» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Jerry Lewis Drops an F-Bomb during Telethon...

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/04/07 at 6:25 pm

Well, according to the news wires, in the 18th hour of the Labor Day Telethon, Jerry Lewis used the F-word.

This will be the end of his career.

Subject: Re: Jerry Lewis Drops an F-Bomb during Telethon...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/04/07 at 6:53 pm

Well, according to the news wires, in the 18th hour of the Labor Day Telethon, Jerry Lewis used the F-word.

This will be the end of his career.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sign10.gif

Aw, give the guy a break.  He's an old man and he hasn't been feeling so good lately, you mighta noticed, but he still makes a go of the telethon.  I just gave to "Jerry's Kids."  Not to the telethon, but to some firefighters who were soliciting at Federal and Main up in Greenfield.  When a fireman in uniform asks you face to face if you'd like to donate some money for crippled children, you can't say no!  That's just...un-American!
;)

Written By: Tia on 09/04/07 at 7:22 pm

is it on youtube?

it has to be on youtube, or it isn't real.

Written By: La Roche on 09/04/07 at 7:42 pm

Nah, he said ******, no f**k.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/04/07 at 8:41 pm

Nah, he said ******, no f**k.

Yes, I know.  He used the dreaded F-word.  If he had simply said F**k, no biggie.  But now he is headed for Palookaville.

Written By: Tia on 09/04/07 at 8:45 pm

what, just with the -er? or is this some OTHER f word?

oh, like, the one with two "g"s? i get it. who was he calling that?  :o was he joking, like sean bedlam?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/04/07 at 8:55 pm

what, just with the -er? or is this some OTHER f word?

oh, like, the one with two "g"s? i get it. who was he calling that?  :o was he joking, like sean bedlam?

Double-G, and he wasn't saying "Kellogg".

Statements of condemnation have already been issued by various groups.  He's toast.

Written By: Tia on 09/04/07 at 8:57 pm

Double-G, and he wasn't saying "Kellogg".

Statements of condemnation have already been issued by various groups.  He's toast.
only thing he can do now to save himself is Come Out.

Written By: La Roche on 09/04/07 at 10:55 pm

Damn, fag gets censored.

NAZI'S!

I thought queers called themselves fags now? Am I that behind the times? I thought I was in touch with the gay community, I always seem to end up with them.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/04/07 at 11:11 pm

Here's the story AND the video clip: think that deserves a karma point =).

http://glosslip.com/2007/09/04/comedian-jerry-lewis-makes-hateful-slur-during-telethon/

The guy caught himself halfway through the word and said "no", realizing before it completely crossed his lips he was screwing up.

The guy is 81 and has helped raise millions for charity. He was probably tired as hell seing as he was in the 18th hour of the show, and in a comedy routine, not addressing anyone specifically. This is so not an issue. I will be irritated if my AOL homepage has this as their top story (or even mentions it) later.  >:(

Ant

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/04/07 at 11:18 pm

meh, give the guy a break. :D

Written By: philbo on 09/05/07 at 5:02 am

Here's the story AND the video clip: think that deserves a karma point =).

http://glosslip.com/2007/09/04/comedian-jerry-lewis-makes-hateful-slur-during-telethon/

The guy caught himself halfway through the word and said "no", realizing before it completely crossed his lips he was screwing up.

ISTM that that could easily be presented as a gag against the sort of PC that says it's a taboo word... (and unless I'd been reading this thread beforehand, I'd never have realized that was what he was going to say, anyway - I thought he was saying "illiterate, fat ..." and stopped himself)

Besides, what's wrong with ******s, anyway?  Not my favourite way of eating meat, but kind of tasty.

I feel a parody coming on...

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/07 at 5:12 am

If the Telethon was for charity, he could make a donation to the cause.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/05/07 at 5:49 am

meh, give the guy a break. :D

If they let Jerry off the hook, every body will be saying it.

Written By: philbo on 09/05/07 at 6:15 am

If they let Jerry off the hook, every body will be saying it.

Hell, why not?  My wife often says she's going outside for a fag...

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/05/07 at 6:18 am

That's like a rapper rationalizing his use of the n-word.  A zero-tolerance policy must be strictly enforced for the f-word.  The f-word must be stricken from the language.

Written By: philbo on 09/05/07 at 6:38 am

That's like a rapper rationalizing his use of the n-word.

er.. no, it isn't.  Just that "fag" means something different over here.  As does "******" (to wit: a cigarette and a kind of meat ball respectively)

Written By: La Roche on 09/05/07 at 7:46 am

You wouldn't believe the confusion the first time I asked a co-worker here in the U.S if I could - and I quote "Bum a fag off you?"

Written By: McDonald on 09/05/07 at 8:40 am

Ok, well albeit a ****** is a piece of meat in Britain, it's also like a bundle of wood for burning right? I mean that is the original definition, and I think that's where the term for both smokes and homosexuals comes from. In either case, I know ****** in the sense that most North Americans use it is well known in other Anglo countries including Britain. That said, I don't care if Jerry Lewis says it. It's not a word that I often use or enjoy hearing, but it can be funny sometimes which is why I am against word-banning.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/05/07 at 8:42 am

I don't know why it was really that big of a deal. It's not like Jerry was on there saying that he hated gay people or something....it was just a slip of the tongue...we've all done it...like it or not. ::)

Written By: philbo on 09/05/07 at 9:57 am

I feel a parody coming on...

I said I felt a parody coming on: Fag (to "Nag" by Joan Jett)

Written By: Tam on 09/05/07 at 12:21 pm

IMHO at 81, he slipped into a comedy routine, forgetting where he was, then when he realized where he was - he stopped it and moved on.
I'm not condoning it, but seriously - if anyone knows Jerry - they know he is a comedian at heart and this so called "slur" is just what the media has been looking for.

"Let's bring more attention to his slur than the fact that he has been up for 18+ hours trying to raise money for MD. Nevermind the good deed!!!!!!!!"

Gawd, the media kills me anymore!

Written By: Tia on 09/05/07 at 12:32 pm

jerry lewis will always and forever be able to do no wrong after his magnificent job in "king of comedy."

Written By: KKay on 09/05/07 at 12:46 pm

wow...the guy he was talking to can be mad....and the audience went.."oooohhhh"
and that's about it.
they should get over it.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/05/07 at 3:04 pm

people are always saying that you're being politically correct if you are offended by the "f-word", but if the n-word is said, then theres an uproar....not that i'm saying either should be used.

on the other hand, i think it's annoying when GLADD or some other gay organization has to make such a big deal whenever a celebrity uses that word (derogatorily).

i'm  gay, and i'm saying this.

Written By: philbo on 09/05/07 at 4:15 pm

IMO it's only "political correctness" if somebody not directly involved gets offended by use of whatever derogatory term - if somebody directs any sort of epithet, then whoever it's been thrown at (or immediate bystanders) do have some cause to be offended; however what gets ridiculous is when people who weren't there, who didn't even hear what was said jump on the bandwagon of condemnation.  Things get so disproportionate these days :(

Written By: Henk on 09/05/07 at 4:15 pm

...and Jerry Lewis apologizes for doing so.

I don't think there would be an uproar about this over here. Not sure if that's a good thing, though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/07 at 7:48 pm

You wouldn't believe the confusion the first time I asked a co-worker here in the U.S if I could - and I quote "Bum a fag off you?"

Heh heh! 
I once had lab section in college with a girl straight outta UK.  One day she turns to me and asks, "You got a rubber?"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif
For a second I thought, "I don't know how it goes in Old Blighty, but over here we at least do dinner and a movie first!"  Then I remembered, "Oh yeah," and handed it over!
;D

http://image.compusa.com/prodimages/0/fc1a1649-cc68-42f4-b0ce-cf3d7dc3293e.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...