» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Not Very 'Fair and Balanced'

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/06/07 at 6:59 pm

New York Times: Transcript of the Fox News Republican Presidential Candidates Debate
September 5, 2007

MR. WALLACE: So, Congressman Paul, and I’d like you to take 30 seconds to answer this, you’re basically saying that we should take our marching orders from al Qaeda? If they want us off the Arabian Peninsula, we should leave? (Laughter.)

REP. PAUL: No! (Cheers, applause.) I’m saying — (laughter) — I’m saying we should take our marching orders from our Constitution. We should not go to war — (cheers, applause) — we should not go to war without a declaration. We should not go to war when it’s an aggressive war. This is an aggressive invasion. We’ve committed the invasion of this war, and it’s illegal under international law. That’s where I take my marching orders, not from any enemy.

Subject: Re: Not Very 'Fair and Balanced'

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/06/07 at 7:04 pm

I don't like Chris Wallace.  He's a twerp.  Is it he or the New York Times that has a bias against Paul?
???

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/06/07 at 7:09 pm

I don't like Chris Wallace.  He's a twerp.  Is it he or the New York Times that has a bias against Paul?
???

Wallace, who was one of Fox News' three moderators for last night's republican presidential debate.  The New York Times link is just a transcript of yesterday's debate.

Or maybe it is Fox News that has the bias against Ron Paul.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/06/07 at 7:20 pm

Wallace, who was one of Fox News' three moderators for last night's republican presidential debate.  The New York Times link is just a transcript from yesterday's debate.

Or maybe it is Fox News that has the bias against Ron Paul.

Because Paul opposes the Iraq war?
See here. He's for huge tax cuts, massive spending cuts, states' rights, decimation of entitlement programs, abolishing the department of education, and a very limited role for the federal government.
Sounds conservative enough to me.
Or do you have to support aggressive foreign policy and secretive government intrusion into people's private lives in order to be a FOX News conservative?
???

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/06/07 at 9:33 pm

Or do you have to support aggressive foreign policy and secretive government intrusion into people's private lives in order to be a FOX News conservative?

Pretty much after the Schaivo mess, "yes".  That's essentially when the religious wing of the Elephant party purged the libertarian wing of the Elephant party. 

Personally, I'll disagree with Paul on the war.  A libertarian (and Constitutionalist) response to 9/11 would have been to issue letters of marque and reprisal against AQ and anyone who sympathized with it. 

Once upon a time, a wacko Libertarian used such a tactic against a bunch of Muslim terrorists who'd been making a mess of things for 200 years. The events became part of a song you might have heard.

The wacko Libertarian was Thomas Jefferson, who was at that time only the US Ambassador to France.
The mess was slavery and piracy from the 15th to 18th century.
The muslim terrorists were the Barbary Pirates.
The events were the First and Second Barbary Wars in the early 1800s.
The song was the line "to the shores of Tripoli" in the United States Marine Corps hymn.

I think the libertarian constitutionalist approach worked out pretty well.  Lotta terrorist ass got kicked.  We got the Marines.  The Marines got the song.  And the nickname "leatherneck".  And Ron Paul missed a golden opportunity to remind the American voters of an important historical precedent.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/06/07 at 10:00 pm

Pretty much after the Schaivo mess, "yes".  That's essentially when the religious wing of the Elephant party purged the libertarian wing of the Elephant party. 

I say it sold its libertarian soul when they used the Christian fundamentalists for political leverage starting in the late '70s.  It did not help either to allow a president to use American hostages in Iran to get elected by cutting an evil deal with the bastards holding them.  Nor did it help to allow this same president to make war against the orders of the U.S. Congress and then to cut more underhanded deals with the Iranians. 
And as much as I heard Reagan's supporters champion "laissez-faire" economics, Reagan and his cronies turned out to be quite the manoeuvrez-faire" bunch!
::)

Written By: philbo on 09/07/07 at 3:29 am

The song was the line "to the shores of Tripoli" in the United States Marine Corps hymn.

Ah, that explains the "To the shores of Tripoli" line in Tom Lehrer's (remarkably topical even today) "Send The Marines"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/07 at 8:22 pm

Ah, that explains the "To the shores of Tripoli" line in Tom Lehrer's (remarkably topical even today) "Send The Marines"

That's the one!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/08/07 at 4:39 pm

New York Times: Transcript of the Fox News Republican Presidential Candidates Debate
September 5, 2007

MR. WALLACE: So, Congressman Paul, and I’d like you to take 30 seconds to answer this, you’re basically saying that we should take our marching orders from al Qaeda? If they want us off the Arabian Peninsula, we should leave? (Laughter.)

REP. PAUL: No! (Cheers, applause.) I’m saying — (laughter) — I’m saying we should take our marching orders from our Constitution. We should not go to war — (cheers, applause) — we should not go to war without a declaration. We should not go to war when it’s an aggressive war. This is an aggressive invasion. We’ve committed the invasion of this war, and it’s illegal under international law. That’s where I take my marching orders, not from any enemy.

Since when has Fox been Fair & Balanced?

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/08/07 at 7:09 pm

Since when has Fox been Fair & Balanced?

Cat

It's like driving past a motel that boasts of "clean rooms."

Hmmm....

Written By: Red Ant on 09/08/07 at 7:58 pm

It's like driving past a motel that boasts of "clean rooms."

Hmmm....

You'd recoil in horror if you knew how dirty the average hotel/motel room was. I recommend tossing the comforter/bedspread on the floor and not using it at all (all hotels - comforters/bedspreads are a bastard to move, wash and dry, so they cleaned maybe once every 6 months - if you're lucky...). Bringing your own pillows is a good idea (pillows are more or less impossible to wash). Also, if the room has a window AC unit, check the filter - the last place I stayed at I wound up rinsing out the filter in the shower - it was beyond nasty.

Requesting your carpet to be vaccuum cleaned is also a good idea.

Back on topic:  Fox news is a joke. Carry on.

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/08/07 at 11:01 pm

You'd recoil in horror if you knew how dirty the average hotel/motel room was. I recommend tossing the comforter/bedspread on the floor and not using it at all (all hotels - comforters/bedspreads are a bastard to move, wash and dry, so they cleaned maybe once every 6 months - if you're lucky...). Bringing your own pillows is a good idea (pillows are more or less impossible to wash). Also, if the room has a window AC unit, check the filter - the last place I stayed at I wound up rinsing out the filter in the shower - it was beyond nasty.

Requesting your carpet to be vaccuum cleaned is also a good idea.

Ant

The fact that these stories are true signifies the neglect some motels show when it comes to housekeeping
http://snopes.com/horrors/gruesome/bodybed.asp
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nervous.gif

My brother-in-law once got a room in a motel that doubled as a whorehouse.  It was in the boonies of South Carolina off the interstate.  Anyway, he was down on his luck (as usual) and traveling on a shoestring budget.  He pays the desk clerk his $40.00 and goes to his room.  He notices a dank odor, prophylactic wrappers on the floor, and when threw back the bedspread he was greeted with strands of long blonde hair, and obvious residuals from sexual activity.  He recoils in disgust, marches back to the clerk, and says "I am not comfortable spending the night here due to the condition of the room.  I am requesting a refund."
The clerk, a hangdog-looking dude in his 50s, appeared puzzled.
"Spending the night here....."
Then the guy snaps to a realization and hands Paul his money back.
On his way out, Paul peered into the "lounge" and noticed a bunch of trampy ladies.
He added 2+2, but wanted to make sure.  He observed a guy and a lady walking out of one of the rooms.  He went to his car.  She went right to the lounge.  Paul observed this twice more in a half hour.  Seemed pretty clear.
I wondered why an utterly ham-handed operation didn't get shut down.  I figured the sheriff probably tends bar and the county judge is a regular customer!
:P

Anyway,  way off topic here.  Waaay off topic!

Written By: annonymouse on 09/10/07 at 9:58 pm

most all of the reporters they get to interview ron paul are complete Ashcrofts. they always ask "are you claiming that 9/11 was our fault?" they don't understand that all he's saying is they retalliated (spelling i know) after we've been attacking them for ten+ years. he's not claiming that we "asked for it" he's just saying we got what we had it comming. and it's true, we did. he's not saying we deserved it, he's not trying to justify it. he's simply saying it could have been prevented and although 9/11 was entirely unnecessary, they did have A reason. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/10/07 at 10:12 pm

most all of the reporters they get to interview ron paul are complete Ashcrofts.

That's 'coz most reporters are complete Ashcrofts.  Period.  I went to J-school.  It's kind of a prerequisite!
;D

Check for new replies or respond here...